Type keyword(s) to search

S05.E04: Devil's Night

• Start Topic

I worked with a guy who lived in Boyle Heights, Los Angeles, during the Night Stalker days.  He said he was TERRIFIED and it was one of the hottest summers ever, so he remembered having to sleep with his windows closed and could barely get any rest.  I lived in the County next door and although I remember the murders at the time, they seemed so removed from us.

The Zodiac was such a great character.  I do wish they had done a bit more dialog or something from him or about him.  

Definitely agree we needed Ted Bundy!  Talk about a career murderer!

I think Mrs Evers, when she lost her mind, became enamored with March and stayed with him.  That's the only thing I can think of.  

The whole vampire line is making no sense at all when you put it into perspective with March and the killers.  It's stupid and I'm over Gaga (although I wouldn't mind a mannequin wearing her clothing in each scene - might work better.  LOL)

Finally with the vampire thing, the Countess losing all of her money to Madoff was STUPID!  Doesn't it seem like she has a bit of that vampire mojo when she looks you in the eye?  Why can't she just get her money that way?  

Naomi Campbell - please get off of my tv along with Miss Can't Act, Chloe.

Edited by hatchetgirl
  • Love 4

I thought it was interesting that Sally represents addiction, and that she told John she was not going anywhere.  

I do think John is involved in the serial killer he is hunting, but in what capacity, I don't know, but it seemed pretty obvious that since he was invited to the party, they consider him a member.  I imagine all the members of the family will end up as residents of that hotel in one way or another!  

• Love 1

Boy, that was tedious. I knew the poor dog was a goner the minute I saw it. I hate when they kill animals like that. I hope creepy little Holden gets his head ripped off.

Edited by LittleIggy
  • Love 12

I think the fact that John was invited to the serial killer dinner means that he will one day BE a serial killer. In fact, I wouldn't be surprised if the killer John's been hunting with the police all season is, indeed, John himself.

That's exactly what I thought. He wouldn't have been invited to the party otherwise. However, since it's the simplest explanation, and Ryan Murphy doesn't like simple, there's probably another motive.

• Love 1

I really enjoyed the episode -- some of the best AHS ever.  I totally agree about the cheap shot with the dog.  That really bugs me but part of this show plays on cliches and that is a classic one.  

• Love 2

The Countess/Gaga is really the least interesting thing about this season, and that's saying something.  Nice costuming and a bit of screen presence, but she just has nothing to work with.  Sarah Paulson's character is also boring me to tears- I've liked her on occasion, but she doesn't have much to work with.  I think that the supporting players took the cake this episode- Dahmer and Gacy were spot on, and while Lily Rabe was awesome, it seemed like she was trying to even more overact Charlize Theron's interpretation? Was that Twisty or Pennywise at the end?  Too bad that that Manson or Jack the Ripper or Madame de la Laurie or Timothy McVeigh or Albert Fish or Mengele or James Cromwell didn't show up. 

Given the detective's affinity for serial killers, it's too bad that there isn't some book Red Dragon/Silence of the Lambs storylines going on with him. Poor tortured detective who apparently has no common sense at all- boring. 

I wish that they'd just forget the whole vampire/addiction thing and get to Liz Taylor's story.  I

I'd guess that Chloe's is going to have the Countess for breakfast very soon, and probably also find a 'cure' for the non-vampire behaviour.  If nothing else, she'll probably substitute granola for the color coded candy in the video room. 

• Love 2

Also he was at a Sushi bar with Scarlet when he got a text from the killer on his cell phone (the one that seemed to come from his wife's cell phone). I don't know how he could have programmed something to send himself a text.

He could have hallucinated that. No one else saw it.

I have to admit.... The SKiller party was entertaining !!!!

As a former Midwesterner I really appreciated the accents that Gabel/Lynch nailed for Dahmer /Gacy. I remember I posted my dismay at the Mad Men finale having a scene where some Wisconsinites talked like southerners !! I was poo- poo'd off the board, posters said nobody knows how Wisconsinites speak anyways!!

But I digress...... I appreciated the effort by the actors and direction/ writers.

Gaga looks amazing but her acting is beginning to lose me. She's falling flat. I refuse to blame it on the writing of the Elizabeth character

Wes Bentley looked smoking hot at the SKiller dinner:)

Edited by jnymph
  • Love 2

You're not kidding.  One black teen escaped Dahmer.  He was naked and screaming for help when he encountered a cop.  Dahmer actually told the cop that the boy was his lover, and the cop supposedly turned the kid back over and he was killed.

Well, the kid was Laotian and 13 and there were two cops, but yeah that happened. My indirect connection to this that one of the cops ended up working near me in a suburb of Milwaukee. A group of us were coming back from Milwaukee and our car broke down about a quarter of a mile from a satellite police station and three of us (in pre cell phone days at least for teenagers in the mid 90's in Wisconsin) split from the group to go to the station to make a call and the first cop we come upon is one of the Dahmer cops. I was the only one to recognize him. He proceeded to say "what am I supposed to do about it?" and left. So yeah, cool guy. Jerk. When will Ed Gein show up? I have an indirect connection to him as well. Oh, me and Wisconsin serial killers/psychos.

Anyway as for the show I don't know. How many more damn people will Lady Gaga spread her virus too? She hands it out like Halloween candy.

• Love 3

Evan Peters is (pardon the pun) killing it this season. This is, by far, his best AHS character and his best acting. Lily Rabe was fabulous as Aileen Wuornos. I don't know who played Ramirez but he cracked me up.

I suppose since they've cast pretty much all the hot young actors, they couldn't find a Bundy. I have no idea who played Dahmer but, damn, he looked like Dahmer. Scary.

It was great to see Lily Rabe again she was the best thing about Asylum. She was great as Aileen Waurnos. Loved seeing Seth Gabel as Jeffery Dahmer.  I had to look up the Nightstalker killer, didn't know who he was at first. Gacy I knew right away. I'm from Illinois, he killed people in my town and led to my fear of clowns. 

Other than a serial killer get together nothing much happened in this episode. 

I do think now that Alex is a vampire she's going to turn the sick kids in the hospital to cure them. Then she'll have to be killed, probably by her son. I knew they were going to kill the dog and I just lost my 17 year old dog last week so I knew to fast forward that scene. 

John has to be a killer or will be a killer, otherwise why would they invite him to the Serial Killer club? 

Edited by Sakura12
  • Love 3

Dahmer & Wuornos were amazing.  Murderous kids are always fun.  The rest of it I could have done without.  It felt like an afterthought episode, as if they were one hour shy of filling out the season.  Where were the rest of the cast that we are supposed to be invested in by this point in the 'story'?

• Love 1

I think John has to be the killer that he's looking for. Maybe he could have an accomplice or maybe there's some twist where he isn't responsible for all of the murders but I agree that they wouldn't invite him to the club if he didn't have a few kills under his belt. 

The only thing that's throwing me is the fact that John still seems to be alive. Maybe he isn't but the Ramirez character was talking about how Manson can't be there yet because he's still alive. Why is John the exception unless he's already dead? 

I sort of wish that they hadn't used the real names of the serial killers. I'd rather they just make the implication rather than give these douchebags any extra attention. I'm just imagining how many online searches these guys ended up getting after the episode aired and it kind of bums me out. 

• Love 3

I am enjoying this season a lot, and I even like Lady Gaga, but I don't really like the vampire storyline that much. The visuals are amazing, but I just don't care that much about it. I am not invested in them yet, whereas March and Mrs Evers had me immediately. I think that all of this serial killer stuff is really compelling, and I wish that this season had centered on that instead of the blood virus.

I would have loved an opening episode that focused on March building the hotel and ending with his murder of Mrs Evers and his suicide, and then fading out into the hotel in the present day at the end of the episode - even with fan service camera panning over all of our favorite AHS actors in their new roles (Sally smoking on the stairs, Liz Taylor pouring a drink at the bar, Iris at the front desk, etc.) before really getting into them as the season progressed. Then maybe we could get a season hinging on March's obsession with creating the perfect serial killer, hinting about his past attempts and going through a variety of hotel visitors before finding his right person. I'd make the finale Devil's Night, when March's new killer joins the table and we get the exciting meeting of all of those killers March trained but never perfected. The various other characters could also be a part of the system, or off having their own bizarre adventures. I'd even be happy to keep the vampire characters as long as they weren't vampires. This is just my dream :)

As it is, I SO look forward to all of the scenes with March and Mrs Evers (or just Mrs Evers - Mare is DESTROYING this role in the best way!) and enjoy the rest of the scenes much less. 

• Love 2

Evan Peters is (pardon the pun) killing it this season. This is, by far, his best AHS character and his best acting. Lily Rabe was fabulous as Aileen Wuornos. I don't know who played Ramirez but he cracked me up. I suppose since they've cast pretty much all the hot young actors, they couldn't find a Bundy. I have no idea who played Dahmer but, damn, he looked like Dahmer. Scary.

Ramirez was portrayed by Anthony Ruivivar. He used to be on a show called Third Watch, which was a show about New York firefighters/paramedics/cops. It was a great show with gorgeous men of all colors. He played EMT Carlos.

Meh. I'm done.  A dinner of the worst serial killers of the last fifty years - including a murder for dessert - and absolutely nothing scary.  Between that and people acting in ridiculous ways (the doctor not calling her husband the moment she finds their missing son - after all, he's only in the same friggin hotel -- or the Swedish girls who, after a psycho ghoul crawls out of their bed, just happily change rooms and nap on the new bed), I'm checking out of this hotel. Done.

• Love 4

I really wish they would have had Gacy dress up as Twisty the Clown from Freak Show. Would have been a nice call-out to the only decent character from last season. I guess maybe Murphy wants to forget all about that season, too.

• Love 2

Also he was at a Sushi bar with Scarlet when he got a text from the killer on his cell phone (the one that seemed to come from his wife's cell phone). I don't know how he could have programmed something to send himself a text.

Actually it is pretty easy to do which is why it was done from his wife's phone (which he has access to) to be sent at a later time.  It just screams him, especially when March was saying that "he's not yet ready to party" so March knows he's the killer.   It might have been him snapping when he lost Holden and blamed himself.  Thus, he goes after others who have "sinned" in his eyes and brutally kills them.

• Love 4

Meh. I'm done.  A dinner of the worst serial killers of the last fifty years - including a murder for dessert - and absolutely nothing scary.  Between that and people acting in ridiculous ways (the doctor not calling her husband the moment she finds their missing son - after all, he's only in the same friggin hotel -- or the Swedish girls who, after a psycho ghoul crawls out of their bed, just happily change rooms and nap on the new bed), I'm checking out of this hotel. Done.

My take on this...

The dinner (to me) was a way to accentuate the fact that John is much like the serial killers in that room.  Both John and Alex were damaged mentally by the loss of their son so yes, she was only in mother mode when she saw Holden and it had already been established that she has a pathological attachment to Holden that she just didn't really care for neither John nor even her daugter.  She was only happy that she had her son back which is also why she allowed herself to be turned.  As for the Swedes, it is a horror story and in a horror story, the young girls always makes very bad decisions.

• Love 2

I really wish they would have had Gacy dress up as Twisty the Clown from Freak Show. Would have been a nice call-out to the only decent character from last season. I guess maybe Murphy wants to forget all about that season, too.

Sigh.  Don't even get me started on how much I loved John Carroll Lynch as Twisty.  I was shocked they killed him off so soon;  for me it destroyed the Freak Show season.

I knew poor Jasper (the dog) was a goner too.   Wish the poor thing would have at least taken a few chomps outta that creepy kid before his demise.

Also, forgot to say that Seth Gabel as Dahmer was outstanding !  He gave me the chills.   He was so creepy; whispering softly to his victim "don't leave me."   As it was said Dahmer was terrified his victims would leave him, hence the zombie juice to the head method. ***SHUDDER**  GAH !    It was 10 time more awful, knowing that was a real person (at one time.)  So  glad John Lowe gave the shout out that he was deservedly murdered in prison.

WOW, the more I think about it, the serial killer aspect was kind of exploitive.  OTOH this IS American HORROR story, isn't it ?    

Edited by jnymph
  • Love 2
Wasn't it Halloween?   Didn't Murder House establish that ghosts could "get out" on Halloween?

I like the episode but the thing that kept me from fully enjoying the murder dinner was the lack of implication that but for this one night, for all eternity these monstrous demons were roasting on spits in hell enduring unimagined, much deserved pain and torment.  Seriously are they just lingering someplace like Mr. March and Miss Evers getting to still kill? How ungratifying.

Maybe Chloe will finally get interesting because I have been pretty bored with her ass so far. I do like that they didn't drag out her finding her son but the poor daughter gets no damn credit for being right. LOL!

Something is definitely up with Wes Bentley's character. I don't think he is at that hotel and STILL ALIVE and hasn't been eaten by a mattress monster, the Countess or murdered by Mr. March or his guests just because his credit is good or because he is the law.

Lily Rabe? I didn't think she resembled Eileen all that much but performance was transcendent.

Now I have to read up about Ramirez.  I read about the Wineville murders after watching Jolie's Changeling.

Ugh at Dahmer and Gacy. It is a credit to the actors that I loathed them so much in such a short time frame.

The most supernatural thing about that Hotel is that they stay in business. In this day and age of social media, yelp, etc. does no one even realize the check in to check out ratio? When relatives go missing don't they at least send authorities to the place the missing person last stayed and don't they realize the Cortez comes up a lot?

I am starting to feel like Finn's character is a bit of a needle skip for me but his one line this episode was funny. Countess saying Chloe wanting to be with her one true love and Finn saying "what - you had sex with you too?"

• Love 1

I like the episode but the thing that kept me from fully enjoying the murder dinner was the lack of implication that but for this one night, for all eternity these monstrous demons were roasting on spits in hell enduring unimagined, much deserved pain and torment.  Seriously are they just lingering someplace like Mr. March and Miss Evers getting to still kill? How ungratifying.

Well, on the bright side, look at how many died in prison. Not cool if they are indeed still killing, but at least they're permanently trapped in really crappy locales. Though I wonder if all ghosts can be so hands-on year-round in their haunts the way they are at the Cortez and the murder house? Maybe there's way less danger if location itself isn't evil as well.

Does the timeline of Evers and March line up with the original owners of the murder house (aka Lily Rabe and co.)? Evers' outfit gave me that impression. I'm still convinced March had something to do with the murder house. Friends with the architect? Attended the housewarming? Body dump at the construction site?

Sally isn't my favorite (though Paulson is wonderful) just because she's so stuck in the destructive cycle of dragging others down, but I did feel for the poor woman when she spent her one night of freedom doing what seems to be their yearly arrangement: scoring victims in exchange for a year of (relative) space. She can't even stray far from the city because she needs to get the "dessert" to the dinner party on time.

• Love 2

That's exactly what I thought. He wouldn't have been invited to the party otherwise. However, since it's the simplest explanation, and Ryan Murphy doesn't like simple, there's probably another motive.

LOL, good point. But we have seen John lose time at least twice so far. In last week's episode, he handcuffed Sally and was gonna take her downtown, but then woke up alone in the elevator. This week, he woke up alone on the floor sometime after the dinner. It's easy to assume that this is the ghost's doing, but we don't know that. He could be blacking out while another side of him is killing people.

Edited by Hollyhox
  • Love 3

I love EP/March's old timey voice it reminds me of Katherine Hepburns trilling lock jaw accent. Why did so many old movie actors speak in that peculiar way?

It's a "Trans-Atlantic" accent, and it was an affected way of speaking that old timey movie actors had.  I guess it was cultivated as a sort-of half American, half British accent.  Tho Kate Hepburn's accent was some of that, and some of her WASP-y, old moneyed, New England accent.

• Love 1

It is unacceptable that Sarah Paulson didn't show up until 57 minutes into this episode. Also, I said it Wednesday night, and I'll say it again: "Fewer serial killer dinner parties. MOAR Angela Bassett!"

I absolutely refuse to believe that John was wasted enough to take Aileen Wuornos back to his room.  Maybe if he'd lost at least three senses - sight, hearing, and the sense of smell.  I also thought it unlikely that Sally could pick up such a clean cut decent looking man.

WOW, the more I think about it, the serial killer aspect was kind of exploitive.  OTOH this IS American HORROR story, isn't it ?    

The episode made me uncomfortable, but I couldn't really express why.  I think this is it.  Most of the victims' families would still be alive, and making these killers rootable really turned my stomach.  Implying Dahmer's victims just peacefully sat while he tortured them with drilling into their brains was sick enough.  Then having the Wuornos character continue her BS motive that all her victims victimized her first.  I'm worried that this season doesn't have anyone who's "good" to root for, and the evil will triumph.

• Love 8

Yes, I doubt Katherine Hepburn's accent was all some studied affectation, as people did talk like that from certain social circles. I remember that Little Edie from the " Grey Gardens" documentary had some of the same type of speech inflections when using certain phrases.

Edited by caracas1914
  • Love 3
And how the posters in The Whispers threads hated her.  They said she was a one note actor, with a constant blank expression.

I didn't care for her performance in The Whispers.  She was drab and one-note, but I feel strongly she does her best work playing over-the-top characters.  Give her a crazy, and she is good to go!

• Love 2

The only thing that's throwing me is the fact that John still seems to be alive. Maybe he isn't but the Ramirez character was talking about how Manson can't be there yet because he's still alive. Why is John the exception unless he's already dead?

The only way Manson could get out of prison to attend would be if he was dead. Being dead wasn't a prerequisite to go to the party. There was just no way to get him out of prison.
  • Love 5

I watched Monster just a few weeks ago, so I was a little sad about Wuornos being portrayed in the league as the likes of Jeffrey Dahmer. Yes, she was a murderess, but she was just so damaged by abuse, it's hard to see her as evil incarnate. Or Charlize Theron's performance just made her sympathetic in some ways, chilling in others. (That movie was heartbreaking and actually made me cry. I'd never cry over a Dahmer or Gacy.)

That said, Lily Rabe knocked it out of the park. I love her -- I watched The Whispers, and was sad when people in that thread ragged her acting ability. Clearly she has the goods.

I also have been a Mare Winningham fan since St. Elmo's Fire. I would love to see her in more scenes. I don't quite get how her character went from bereaved guilt-ridden mother of a murdered boy to a weird handmaiden of a serial killer, but I want to know.

I got a little bored off and on, I have to say. Not sure why. Maybe it's just the shocks are now boring because it happens so much in this show, it ceases to be shocking.

I knew Chloe's character would cave and be turned, because they set it up that she loved her son more than anyone else in her family. Glad the daughter is safe with the grandparents -- poor girl, what a family! I'm not clear on what's up with John -- a whole ton of guilt, of course, but what idiot would continue to stay there with all that weirdness going on?

I agree with the theories about John possibly already being a killer. He's there for a reason, and not just because he's a cop. They seem to treat him as one of their own already.

Edited by Andromeda
  • Love 3

Probably my biggest problem with the show thus far -- now that we're pretty far along -- is the motivation of the Countess.  It was clear about Madoff and money but now, turning all these people who don't have anything to do with that motivation -- is a bit baffling.

I'm not sure that Gaga's performance is helping.  She definitely has the look because she's made a career by being a chameleon.  Give her a look and ask her to pass it on and she's a master.  It's what her career is all about.  (She sings, too, right?  I mean, precedent has been set by the Kardashians that people can get oodles of fame and money for having no tangible talent.)  

But, having her sell a delayed* motivation for a starring role character is a reach for her.

*I can only assume we'll find out why she's turning the boy toy and the frumpy doctor?  Because they both have nothing to do with getting money.

ETA:  Evans has brilliantly sold me on March.  The dinner gave me all the motivation he needs for pursuing Det. Lowe.  We know that March built the hotel of horrors and is an OCD serial killer.  With the dinner that he gives every year, we know he is an avid recruiter into the killing spree lifestyle.  He gets kicks out of having more and more people like him (in both meanings of the word "like" -- as in, stylistically follow his lead and also fawn all over him and his ego) -- so he is some sort of harbinger of Lowe's real role in the show.  

(I think the idea that he is the killer is neat.)

Without the buildup two episodes ago and the dinner this episode, I wouldn't put those two together.

Gaga, even with the episodes she's had, can't convey to me why she's bothering to turn Dr. Frump.  Boy Toy I do get -- she needed a good heartbreak and when you do that, you have a void you need to fill.  (That's right out of "The Hunger".  Except, "The Hunger", like "Torchwood", brought us the ultimate tragedy of the immortal -- everyone they love dies and they are bereft.  Forever.  This show, for what it's worth, chose to trivialize that.  Gaga's first boyfriend didn't die on her.  She said she just wanted the thrill of a heartbreak so she broke up with him.  Tra la la.  Poor you, Countess.  I'm not the least invested in your self-induced teenage "heartbreaks".)

Edited by Captanne
  • Love 4

Nicely timed for Halloween, really liked this one.

A whole dinner with some of America's most famous serial killer and John too seemed to be hinting at something for the latter's future or was it?

I have to say both Lily Rabe and Seth Gabel convinced the most as Aileen Wuornos and Jeffrey Dahmer though. We need to get Rabe back as a regular on this show next year.

Sally continues to creep out as well but her deal with March is interesting. Given that she's already dead, what he can possibly do to her?

I did like Miss Evers backstory being revealed but I'm hoping it's not long before Liz Taylor's is too.

The Countess and Alex stuff was predictable but done really well though, 8/10

I was thinking about Bassett's role as the foil to the Countess -- isn't this just a reprise of the role she played as the Voodoo Priestess to Lange's Coven Supreme?  Is that lazy writing?  Or am I missing something.  (I know, we have so little to go on with Bassett's role this time around, she's only just been introduced.  I should be more patient.)

• Love 5
This show, for what it's worth, chose to trivialize that.  Gaga's first boyfriend didn't die on her.  She said she just wanted the thrill of a heartbreak so she broke up with him.  Tra la la.  Poor you, Countess.  I'm not the least invested in your self-induced teenage "heartbreaks".)

The could actually do something pretty fascinating with that if they had a better actress, better writers and a producer that doesn't have his head so far up his ass he thinks his every shitty idea is gold.

Really explore what it means to be stuck with someone forever. I know, I know, that is every lovers dream "I will always love you" "I wish to spend eternity with you" blah blah, but would you? Really? Instead it's just a way to have Lady Gaga make out with as many hot guys as possible (no, I'm not jealous! Not at all!) and for Ryan Murphy to see naked asses (which, as long as he shares with the rest of us, I'm okay with it). But still, I think it would be very interesting if the Countess were being portrayed as this tragic woman inflicted with this virus who is building herself a family. Her children more than just blood filters, her men more than just sex toys. But I don't see it going that way.

And I still don't get why they needed the vampire story in the first place. Hotel Serial Killers would have been quite interesting. Instead of the hotel housing some kind of virused blood sucker it was infested with the ghosts of some of the worst killers in history. THAT would give me nightmares. The vampire stuff with the silly looking little blonde kids and the stupid mattress killer make me laugh. Seriously, I laughed more when that thing first came out of the mattress than I have at anything on Scream Queens which is supposed to be the parody (though this feels more like it).

Anyway, just another potentially great idea wasted. That said, I'm not hating this season. I just find it ridiculous but I am invested in March, Mrs. Evers and Liz Taylor. The rest can all just go away. Well, not Matt Bomer. He can just wonder around naked in the background. Chyenne Jackson too if he wants. This season has got some choice eye candy. I'll give it points for that.

Edited by Mabinogia
  • Love 3

I too am utterly bored with the "vampire" storyline and the mattress monster. It would be a much better season if they just focused on Mr. March and his murder hotel where guests get trapped and tortured, plus his recruitment of new serial killers and teaching them how to kill.

Yes the little blonde kids and the Nintendo game room with the candy dispensers looks so cheesy that it takes me out of the show completely and Lady Gaga's music video-style "performances" are hardly helping. She obviously has the look down but everytime she delivers a line, I just keep thinking of one of her music videos where there are "acting" scenes before the song and dance starts.

Yay for Lily Rabe and Twisty the clown actor's return. Love the serial killer party but was hoping it would have been more of a soirée with a whole lobby of famous serial killers from the past mingling and toasting each other.

Was the chicken coop killer at the party too? He would have been a great guest for sure but since he killed Miss Evers' son, maybe he wasn't invited.

Yes it is obvious at this point that John Lowe is the serial killer he is hunting, although I am hoping there will be a further twist because I don't want to figure out the "mystery" 3 episodes in!

Edited by Mattipoo
  • Love 1
Yes the little blonde kids and the Nintendo game room with the candy dispensers looks so cheesy that it takes me out of the show completely and Lady Gaga's music video-style "performances" are hardly helping. She obviously has the look down but everytime she delivers a line, I just keep thinking of one of her music videos where there are "acting" scenes before the song and dance starts.

I keep expecting her to start singing while the little blonde kids form some sort of overly stylized choir.

• Love 2

I watched Monster just a few weeks ago, so I was a little sad about Wuornos being portrayed in the league as the likes of Jeffrey Dahmer. Yes, she was a murderess, but she was just so damaged by abuse, it's hard to see her as evil incarnate. Or Charlize Theron's performance just made her sympathetic in some ways, chilling in others. (That movie was heartbreaking and actually made me cry. I'd never cry over a Dahmer or Gacy.)

Aileen experienced horrific abuse as a child, and I deeply sympathize with that child.  But as an adult, she acted abominably in the courtroom, and showed the true psychopath that she was. 

I do find Jeffrey Dahmer a sympathetic character - to an extent.  He seemed to be born "off", and was motivated by the desire to not be abandoned.  That's simplifying it a bit, but as horrific as the drilling in the brain and cannibalism is, he didn't seem to be motivated by the sadistic need to torture, just to possess, which is problematic itself.  Before he was killed, Dahmer and his father did an extensive sit down interview with Stone Phillips.  The stated intent was to help explain the motivations of a serial killer.  And while serial killers are notorious manipulators, Dahmer seemed to be attempting to explain his actions and thoughts, rather than rationalize them.  His father and step-mother also did an open and honest interview on Larry King.  They really seemed to want to further the understanding of the mind of a serial killer.  Both of those interviews are available on youtube if anyone's interested.

A whole dinner with some of America's most famous serial killer and John too seemed to be hinting at something for the latter's future or was it?

I think it's heavily implied, and I hope it's a mislead.  The Lowe's are the only people representing "good", and it's a little bit of a cliché to have the boy scout be the secret killer.  I think John was present at the serial killer dinner to represent the audience.  What's the point of the OTT antics if we don't see someone's horrified reaction?  And even if March is trying to mentor him into a serial killer, it doesn't necessarily follow that John is or will become a serial killer.

• Love 3

The only way Manson could get out of prison to attend would be if he was dead. Being dead wasn't a prerequisite to go to the party. There was just no way to get him out of prison.

Technically, Manson didn't kill anyone (or wasn't convicted of killing anyone), either. 

I absolutely refuse to believe that John was wasted enough to take Aileen Wuornos back to his room.  Maybe if he'd lost at least three senses - sight, hearing, and the sense of smell.  I also thought it unlikely that Sally could pick up such a clean cut decent looking man.

The episode made me uncomfortable, but I couldn't really express why.  I think this is it.  Most of the victims' families would still be alive, and making these killers rootable really turned my stomach.  Implying Dahmer's victims just peacefully sat while he tortured them with drilling into their brains was sick enough.  Then having the Wuornos character continue her BS motive that all her victims victimized her first.  I'm worried that this season doesn't have anyone who's "good" to root for, and the evil will triumph.

Sally = heroin/drugs, so she could pick up anyone wanting a fix. She's actually (besides Liz Taylor) the only character I like. I think Sarah Paulson has done a great job of portraying someone who knows they're coaxing people into being really destructive, won't leave them alone, lets them make the horrible choice, and then does regret it some, but continues the cycle. She shows up when they're looking for her, and then destroys them, just as asked. You know she's bad news, but they still want her. She and Mattress Monster are drug additction personified. As soon as I understood Mattress Monster, I wasn't mad at it. Still didn't need to see the Drilldo rape, but I get it. 

I disliked the first of the first episode enough to hold off and not watch until this Halloween episode, because they're usually above and beyond, and where the seasons should end. They all start to derail and just grasp and storylines after Halloween. I did keep up to an extent with the summaries on here.

Anyway...........I'm interested in Angela Bassett's backstory now, even though she's the same Foxy Cleopatra she's portrayed in Coven, Freak Show and now Hotel. She's just actually, really, Foxy Cleopatra this time. Still think she's amazing, but give her some range. She can handle it.

Chloe still is overrated and not nearly as ironic and savant as she wants to be. Can't help but always feel like this about her. My take on her so seriously admonishing (1st episode) the anti-vaccer, is that with all the horror and gore around them (serial killers, kidnappings, drug addiction), her biggest battle is anti-vaccers? Bring it back down to real life, and be horrified, Morticia, that your baby smiled, when you're surrounded in death and decay. I guess she did show some irony there. 

Same way with Lady Gaga. She can wear some clothes and walk around, she is very musically talented, but just don't like her 'schtick'. She's too talented to use the gimmicky pseudo-Satantic, is she or isn't she Illuminati, I'm so refined, yet I drink blood, schtick. Controversy for the sake of controversy ruins her 'be yourself' message.  I also can't quite process someone who talks constantly about equality, love, etc., the in videos and this show plays a character purposefully luring in people to mutilate. Ruins her message. She's only spouted campy one liners followed by bloodbath orgies, so she hasn't demonstrated any acting ability so far.

I know I'm in the minority, but I just don't like this Evan Peters character. He is talented, but I'm just not into it. BUT - I do like that it's based on a real person, but not exactly following that real person to a T. The serial killer dinner party seriously bothered me - not the concept of the party, this is a horror show - but that they were all contemporary people who still have some victims who are living or family members of deceased victims. Ramirez had a few victims who survived, or whose children walked in and witnessed things, and are alive, etc. Other ones have family members of victims alive. Not sure why Ryan Murphy couldn't have just a strongly alluded to the real killers instead of having them flat out portrayed, but thought I that was crass and insensitive. 

Edited by RazzleberryPie
  • Love 1

Why did they use a fake serial killer for Even Peter's character and real serial killers for his guests? Why didn't they use the real name of killer he's based off of?

Leonardo DiCaprio is going to make a movie about H.H.Holmes and apparently he has the rights to the name. That is what I am seeing posted online.

• Love 3

Leonardo DiCaprio is going to make a movie about H.H.Holmes and apparently he has the rights to the name. That is what I am seeing posted online.

With Martin Scorcesse again? Not that that's bad. Those two just seem to pair well, especially with violence, and historical violence.

Edited by RazzleberryPie

Yes Martin Scorcesse is support to direct it based off the book The Devil in the White City.

I echo a few others in wishing the March storyline was the main one. I sadly still can't connect with the Lowe family drama. The only one I like is the daughter.

Angela I am sure I will enjoy once she gets more screen time.

Kathy is good as always but not sure if I like Iris yet.

I didn't miss Will Drake this episode.

Tristan is with Gaga and I don't care about the vampire stuff at all. If she is Mr.March's wife then this story might have potential.

I like March,Miss Evers,Romana,and Liz Taylor the most so far.

Edited by ShadowHunter

I didn't see it mentioned here already but I thought it was a great touch that Natalie Merchant's Carnival was playing during Aileen's opening scene. I just recently rewatched a documentary about her and it mentions that Aileen wanted her friend to play that song after she was executed. Interesting move for the show to play Aileen's favorite song.

Another nice touch was Aileen and Ramirez dancing to Sweet Jane just like Mickey and Mallory did in Natural Born Killers. They danced exactly the same too.

Anyway, I really thought the guy Sally met outside the hotel was going to be Ted Bundy or someone like Patrick from American Psycho. How can you have a dinner party full of serial killers without Ted?

• Love 1