Type keyword(s) to search

Leon Brown: So Here's Me

Pallas
Message added by Scarlett45,

Leon is transgender and uses they/them pronouns. As defined in the GLAAD guidelines, they are a they, were a they, and will be a they unless they ever tell us something different.  Per those guidelines, referring to them as a woman or a girl or as she is not okay, regardless of any modifier placed before these words or the time period being discussed.  Referring to them by any name besides "Leon" or "Leo" is not appropriate, regardless of the time period being discussed. Intent matters and people may slip up. Let's strive to respect their identity.

Please review the guidelines of the site regarding the Hate Speech and Insensitive Language Policy, which includes guidelines from GLAAD for the LGBTQ+ community.

Also remember the Golden Rule of Primetimer is Be Civil.

• Start Topic

5 hours ago, LilyD said:

Not washing inevitably comes with a bad body odour which can be an absolute nightmare for people who are forced to be close to you for whatever reason.

Yes but this applies to people who actually care about the health and well being of others.  Leon has shown absolutely no indication that Leon cares for anyone but Leon and possibly Audge.  I don't think Leon cares for Meri other than being a meal ticket.

• Like 8
  • Sad 1
  • Applause 3
  • Love 8

Re Leon and their past- all of our childhood memories are subjective. I cannot imagine being born in the wrong body. The fear, isolation, doubt, confusion must have been terrifying. I'm not sure that any of the other older Brown children would perceive their childhoods as bad. Sure, they lived unconventional lives, but there was love and needs met. Plus Leon got the most expensive/exclusive undergraduate degree option of all the older kids. 

Leon is free to live their life as they chose, showered or not. However I hope that they can find a passion and move on making a contribution to our world. 

• Like 2
  • Love 7

I never got the feeling that Leo was struggling with living in the wrong body when they were a child or teenager… I never saw them living in fear, isolation, doubt, confusion or looking terrified.

As “Mariah” they seemed happy and spoiled rotten compared to the other kids plus they often said that they wanted to be a polygamist and have sister wives…. Meanwhile Maddie always said “hell no to sister wives or sharing her future husband” 

• Like 6
  • Useful 2
  • Love 15
15 hours ago, Joan of Argh said:

I never got the feeling that Leo was struggling with living in the wrong body when they were a child or teenager… I never saw them living in fear, isolation, doubt, confusion or looking terrified.

As “Mariah” they seemed happy and spoiled rotten compared to the other kids plus they often said that they wanted to be a polygamist and have sister wives…. Meanwhile Maddie always said “hell no to sister wives or sharing her future husband” 

I feel like they were angry. Angry and, just my opinion, hypocritical. When they went to Bali and were bragging about the yoga life I was like, “no that’s not them they’re too angry at everything” to truly come through on that.

When the homes were being built, Leo had tantrums about theirs taking longer. There are other examples, but I don’t get the feeling they were ever a “happy” child. And I think them saying they wanting to be a polygamist was a cover for what was going on with them. 

Maybe now that they’re out as trans and can be themselves, the anger will subside. I don’t know. Before it felt like they would look for things to be angry about. Maybe that will change over time. 

• Like 5
  • Useful 1
  • Love 7

Leon is a curious one for sure. Because we peripherally watched them grow up, we have all these thoughts, but no one really knows what is going on inside another person. We are like icebergs and what makes up most of us is hidden far below the surface.

With that said, I didn't see this coming. From what I knew of Leon, they seemed like a confident, driven girl with a side of entitled, privileged brat. But I also never guessed the guy I knew as Bruce Jenner was hiding Caitlin all those years.

• Like 5
  • Useful 1
  • Love 12
17 hours ago, Joan of Argh said:

Trans people can be very good at masking. Not everyone has the narrative of "I knew who I was from age 2", a lot of people struggle and suppress that side of themselves. I would imagine that goes doubly for anyone with a camera shoved in their face who probably felt they had to mimic the values of their father as part of the expectations involved in the tv show. 

16 hours ago, deirdra said:

Only a couple of years ago Leo had their body on display in yoga poses; not the usual choice of someone uncomfortable with their body.

And there are trans women who were hypermasculine before transition and trans men who were hyperfeminine. It's not uncommon. 

• Like 5
  • Useful 3
  • Love 7
1 hour ago, GeeGolly said:

Leon is a curious one for sure. Because we peripherally watched them grow up, we have all these thoughts, but no one really knows what is going on inside another person. We are like icebergs and what makes up most of us is hidden far below the surface.

With that said, I didn't see this coming. From what I knew of Leon, they seemed like a confident, driven girl with a side of entitled, privileged brat. But I also never guessed the guy I knew as Bruce Jenner was hiding Caitlin all those years.

I absolutely agree. We may think we know Leon (or any other Brown for that matter) but the truth is, we don't know. We don't know what anyone of them is really thinking or doing when the camera is not around.

But we have seen a teenager going from left to right: from pro-polygamist to feminist to coming out as gay and then coming out as trans. Who wanted to be a doctor then yoga teacher and now seems adverse to work in general. A teen who was dissatisfied with basically everything,  had anger issues and was quite possibly quite lonely despite having 16 half-siblings and step siblings,  had a very complicated mother-daughter relationship, and a dad with a rather quirky outlook on relationships. Am I forgetting anything? 

I doubt little of this was acting and it has all ingredients of a complicated youth that certainly left its marks on someone's soul. Now I know very little of how the process of transitioning (if Leon wants it at all) works in the US but I do hope that there are good psychologists who go through this mess of a childhood and sort things out before any permanent and irreversible steps are taken. If only to be sure, that this indeed is what Leon is and wants and not some form of running away from the past, which does happen occasionally as an extensive research in the UK has shown.

I'll admit, I never really liked Leon but do feel sorry for the things Leon was put through. It cannot have been easy. If anything, I hope Leon is finally on the right path for true happiness and peace of mind.

• Like 4
  • Applause 3
  • Love 6
10 minutes ago, LilyD said:

I absolutely agree. We may think we know Leon (or any other Brown for that matter) but the truth is, we don't know. We don't know what anyone of them is really thinking or doing when the camera is not around.

But we have seen a teenager going from left to right: from pro-polygamist to feminist to coming out as gay and then coming out as trans. Who wanted to be a doctor then yoga teacher and now seems adverse to work in general. A teen who was dissatisfied with basically everything,  had anger issues and was quite possibly quite lonely despite having 16 half-siblings and step siblings,  had a very complicated mother-daughter relationship, and a dad with a rather quirky outlook on relationships. Am I forgetting anything? 

I doubt little of this was acting and it has all ingredients of a complicated youth that certainly left its marks on someone's soul. Now I know very little of how the process of transitioning (if Leon wants it at all) works in the US but I do hope that there are good psychologists who go through this mess of a childhood and sort things out before any permanent and irreversible steps are taken. If only to be sure, that this indeed is what Leon is and wants and not some form of running away from the past, which does happen occasionally as an extensive research in the UK has shown.

I'll admit, I never really liked Leon but do feel sorry for the things Leon was put through. It cannot have been easy. If anything, I hope Leon is finally on the right path for true happiness and peace of mind.

The process to getting top or bottom surgery is pretty rigorous in the US, but there's always ways to work around almost any system.

• Like 3
  • Useful 4
  • Love 1
2 hours ago, Meh said:

"Many of you keep up with the families on social media, and thus know about major events before they show them on the currently-airing season (weddings, new businesses they start, etc).  Please keep any social media posts out of the episode threads and in the Social Media thread, to avoid spoiling those posters who are NOT paying attention to social media and thus don't know whether a wedding actually happened until it airs on the show, etc."

Shouldn't this apply to Leon? Was Leon ever Leon on an actual TV show during a season?  New here, but it seems like so many comments on various shows are based on social media and not the show itself. I don't do instant messaging so get confused at times as to what is real and what is speculated about the shows or is on social media alone. Just asking, as I am curious.

Abiding strictly to the above edict would prevent any mention of Meri's antics on FFW, Janelle's lack of established housing, Maddie and Mykelti's pregnancies, Christine's adjustment to her new life,  Audge and Leon's transformations to name just a few topics that are posted in their respective threads.  None of these topics have been addressed on the show as yet.  

Even any mention of Avalon would be out of order as her birth has not yet been dealt with on the show.

This would make the Social Media thread top heavy with comments and leave the other threads nearly 2 years behind in the comments.  Very confusing.

• Like 6
  • Love 11

Previously we were instructed to keep SM info out of the Episode threads and confine it to each character's topic thread and long-time posters have stuck to that pretty well. During the off-season, putting 99.99% of the posts in one SM thread would cause a traffic jam and make it impossible to find anything.  With a new season starting up, sticking to no SM in episode threads works well.

Edited by deirdra
  • Love 9
3 hours ago, deirdra said:

Previously we were instructed to keep SM info out of the Episode threads and confine it to each character's topic thread and long-time posters have stuck to that pretty well. During the off-season, putting 99.99% of the posts in one SM thread would cause a traffic jam and make it impossible to find anything.  With a new season starting up, sticking to no SM in episode threads works well.

Agree Deirdra. I know I can check on individual character threads for up- to-date info. However,  I usually don't watch new episodes live, so I know not to look at individual epi threads so as not to be spoiled. IMO it's handled well. 

• Love 8

And maybe add a spoiler alert to the separate threads? 
But in all honesty, if you search the internet or come out here, I take it you want to know what’s going on. The excuse of wanting to know a specific thing doesn’t count either as you could ask google (e.g. how old is Meri Brown?) and it will answer straight away and you’d have to look no further.

Slightly off topic; we’re avid motor sport watchers. If we miss a race and need to watch it later, we simply ban all news related to this until we caught up. 

• Applause 5

I'm somewhat new to the Bates threads, but have hung out in the Duggar threads for an embarrassingly long time and it runs very much like this. IMO, these family reality shows are predictable and the titles of the shows give away any 'surprises'. And in this day and age of the internet, its scroller beware anywhere, because articles about shows are everywhere.

LOL - Brown threads.

Edited by GeeGolly
  • Love 11
25 minutes ago, Irate Panda said:

What’s the “So here’s me” subtitle from?  Is that what Leon said in their post about being Leon or does it mean something else?

It’s what she said in her post. Here’s part of it:

”so here’s me, definitely not having almost any of my shit figured out, to let you know that i am trans. my name is Leon or Leo (i love both) and my pronouns are they/them. ”

• Thanks 1
  • Useful 1
  • Love 1
5 minutes ago, ginger90 said:

It’s what she said in her post. Here’s part of it:

”so here’s me, definitely not having almost any of my shit figured out, to let you know that i am trans. my name is Leon or Leo (i love both) and my pronouns are they/them. ”

Thank you!! For some reason I can only go back so many pages on this thread and I don’t have IG anymore.  I still miss the snarky Westminster subtitle 🤭

• Like 2

Ya know, if I was going to go ahead and choose a new name for myself, it wouldn't be Leon. In addition to how they dress and groom themselves, it seems like they chose an off-beat name as well. And there are so many cool names to choose from. I'm curious where they got Leon. Leon means Lion, but they are certainly not coming across like a lion. The whole situation is perplexing.

Also, Meri was in Denver with what she tries to pass off as friends, but I didn't see any pictures of her with Leon, or any mention of visiting Leon. 

• Like 2
  • Useful 3
1 hour ago, Kellyee said:

Ya know, if I was going to go ahead and choose a new name for myself, it wouldn't be Leon. In addition to how they dress and groom themselves, it seems like they chose an off-beat name as well. And there are so many cool names to choose from. I'm curious where they got Leon. Leon means Lion, but they are certainly not coming across like a lion. The whole situation is perplexing.

Also, Meri was in Denver with what she tries to pass off as friends, but I didn't see any pictures of her with Leon, or any mention of visiting Leon. 

Leon's former middle name was Lian; very similar pronunciation. They also go by Leo, which I think is a great name - less old-fashioned than Leon.

• Like 3
1 hour ago, Kellyee said:

Meri posted a picture with Leon’s dog while she was in Colorado. I believe I posted it in Meri’s thread at the time. I’d say that means Meri saw Leon, or Audrey, or both. 🤷🏼‍♀️

• Like 4
  • Useful 1
11 hours ago, Teafortwo said:

Leon's former middle name was Lian; very similar pronunciation. They also go by Leo, which I think is a great name - less old-fashioned than Leon.

Leon was born July 29. Leon's zodiac sign is Leo. 😃 

• Useful 4
On 8/22/2022 at 8:11 PM, ginger90 said:

Meri posted a picture with Leon’s dog while she was in Colorado. I believe I posted it in Meri’s thread at the time. I’d say that means Meri saw Leon, or Audrey, or both. 🤷🏼‍♀️

Or she was asked to watch the dog… she’s looked after it before.

• Like 7
On 8/1/2022 at 5:46 AM, GeeGolly said:

Random info: Jenner’s first wife, back in the ‘70s, wrote a book called “I Am Chrysti,” describing life with a driven, Olympic-bound athlete. I didn’t read it until Jenner was in the news regarding transitioning, and I’ll just say it was an interesting read, knowing now about Jenner really being Caitlyn. Chrysti didn’t claim any kind of knowledge about that, but there were situations in the book that make more sense with today’s knowledge about Caitlyn’s gender identity. 

• Useful 13

I stopped watching this shit show regularly so I just check in from time to time. I was surprised to read about Leon, only because I find it interesting that both women in a lesbian relationship decided they were trans men. If it was just one of them, sure, but both? What are the odds of that? Regardless, I hope they both are happy, that's a lot to go through, I can't even imagine.

ETA: The fact that KoDouche's head is probably exploding over this is just the icing on the cake, and makes me wanna high fuckin' five Audge and Leon many many times...It's so interesting and very telling how all the older kids have basically said FUCK YOU DAD to his 'way of life' once they are of legal age, each one following what they think is right and not what he thinks is right. Starting with the prodigal son living in sin with his girlfriend, right on up to this. Thank goodness these older kids are setting a better example to their younger sibs about what life outside DoucheWorld is like!

Edited by gingerella
  • Like 9
  • Useful 2
  • Love 1
17 hours ago, gingerella said:

I find it interesting that both women in a lesbian relationship decided they were trans men. If it was just one of them, sure, but both? What are the odds of that?

It may have been one of the things that drew them together initially. 

I don't completely understand transitioning and all that goes with it; however, I think Leon identifies as non-binary, which would likely mean they don't identify as a trans "man" but rather as simply trans. I'm not sure about Audrey.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 3
  • Useful 3
On 9/3/2022 at 1:57 AM, gingerella said:

I stopped watching this shit show regularly so I just check in from time to time. I was surprised to read about Leon, only because I find it interesting that both women in a lesbian relationship decided they were trans men. If it was just one of them, sure, but both? What are the odds of that? Regardless, I hope they both are happy, that's a lot to go through, I can't even imagine.

ETA: The fact that KoDouche's head is probably exploding over this is just the icing on the cake, and makes me wanna high fuckin' five Audge and Leon many many times...It's so interesting and very telling how all the older kids have basically said FUCK YOU DAD to his 'way of life' once they are of legal age, each one following what they think is right and not what he thinks is right. Starting with the prodigal son living in sin with his girlfriend, right on up to this. Thank goodness these older kids are setting a better example to their younger sibs about what life outside DoucheWorld is like!

It's actually not super uncommon for people to be drawn to each other who both have gender identity issues. Or you hear about (outwardly) hetero couples where one spouse transitions and the other realizes they were always bi/gay. Attraction is multilayered. 

• Applause 2
  • Useful 7

What on earth is a punkin pie?

Can I say that Audjy-podgy-punkin pie definitely sounds like cooing a baby and not as something sweet you say to someone you love? Ouch, now I constantly hear it in my head...  

Podgy is not a very nice thing to say btw, but then again these people happily call each other bitch as well. 

• Love 7
1 hour ago, Cetacean said:

Must be a regional thing.  Not one I have heard before.

It is used here in Georgia,  usually as "punkin". I frequently call my grandchildren " punkin-doodle" as a term of affection.  It does seem a little odd coming from Leon, though. 

• Like 3
  • Useful 1