Type keyword(s) to search

Say Yes To The Dress - General Discussion

• Start Topic

I was so excited to see the Hotel de Glace on last night's episode.  It's been on my bucket list for awhile now.  What a cool place to get married (pun not intended :)), and Quebec City is gorgeous in any season.  I loved the bride's fur wrap!  

As for the polygamous couple, I was mystified as to why/how they would have a "wedding" (spending several thousand $ on a dress alone).  They're not Mormon, so what type of ceremony could they have?  The whole thing seemed extremely strange. 

• Love 3
11 hours ago, Shannon L. said:

I got this feeling that she was no longer happy with him, but didn't want to get divorced for whatever personal reasons, so she convinced him to enter into polygamy. 

What was the problem with their consultant?  I know that it must be surprising to meet your first polygamist, but it's not like no one has ever heard of it.  She was acting like she'd never heard of such a thing, then had to ask for help looking for a dress?  She's a bride--the rest of it shouldn't matter when dress shopping.

I really wish they could branch out and show us some different dresses.  I saw three or four in the background, on both people and mannequins, that I really liked. 

I like the ones always on the mannequins more than any they actually sell to these idiots

• Love 8
On 5/2/2017 at 3:18 PM, Missy Vixen said:

We spent $2500. We'll be married 24 years in September.

One has to wonder what the most expensive "Kleinfeld Bride" wedding that ended in divorce was.

Mine cost $800.  I win.  ;-)  Buffet brunch for 16 people.  We were married 27 years till he died in 2013.

• Love 5
16 hours ago, doodlebug said:

Not wanting to be touched as a manifestation of OCD is even odder. She looked heavily medicated to me, poor thing.  It seems like the money being invested in a 'wedding' which apparently had no religious or legal significance would be better spent on group counseling, IMO. The whole thing has disaster written all over it. The dress she picked was fine, nothing special.

I thought I was going to feel "shocked" but instead I felt sad about the situation. For not wanting to be touched, Wife #1 was quick to hug #2 when she found the dress she loved. And there seemed to be normal friendly touch between the women, but when the husband was on screen in the 3up interview, her positioning was very away from him. I don't question her OCD diagnosis (and that might not be the type of touch that's the issue) but my sense is that there's more than that going on.

I do know that being on a tv show and outing your marriage and health situation is probably the worst thing you could do. *sigh*

Fashionista's wedding is coming up so it'll be interesting to see what she finally picked. Insta: @gloriousbe We shall see. I thought the deep plunge neck style looked really great on her, really liked that dress. I don't buy for a second that she actually thought she could buy a Spring 17 dress for a Spring 17 wedding. She's some sort of freelance beauty & bridal writer/editor/stylist/millenial jobs-having type, so at least minimally in the industry, I think she just wanted to try on expensive dresses, and promote herself. Which for the former, i'm actually shocked more people don't do.

• Love 5

If the first wife didn't want to be touched, why was she holding hands with her husband?

Is there any way this "marriage" would be legal?   I can't see any way that it can be.  Plus, the husband looked to me like he was off of the last bus from Deliverance.  

• Love 5

The threesome was really messed up. If the wife really has a mental disorder the husband & gf are totally taking advantage. I don't care if the wife suggested it; she's not in her right mind. What if, hopefully, she actually gets the help she needs & realizes the mistake here? If her husband really loved her he would've gotten her all the help she needs. I agree with others who say she'll be pushed out entirely. I worry for her long term.

The ice chapel was just odd to me; not my thing. It also really made it difficult to have a nice entrance, slipping like that.

• Love 1

I thought the polygamy group was beyond odd.  Even the man's mannerisms and speech was a bit different.  That part of the show made me uncomfortable.  The ice castle wedding was pretty cool - pardon the pun, I couldn't resist.  There is a hotel in Sweden, I think, that is open during the winter months and it is made of ice.  They showed real candles being used at the ice wedding, and I was wondering why they don't use the newer battery powered ones that actually flicker like a real candle.  Maybe the real candles don't throw off enough heat to matter.

• Love 2

Wife #2 in the polygamy group was very insensitive to wife #1 when she said "he likes everything I do."  I wonder if they're all going to live together like one big happy(?) family.  I agree with those of you who said wife #1 is probably holding on for medical coverage.  I wonder how many wives you can have as dependents on your medical insurance, assuming wife #1 doesn't have her own.

• Love 3
17 hours ago, Refresh said:

And there seemed to be normal friendly touch between the women, but when the husband was on screen in the 3up interview, her positioning was very away from him. I don't question her OCD diagnosis (and that might not be the type of touch that's the issue) but my sense is that there's more than that going on.

That was definitely my impression, especially since, as @KLovestoShop mentioned, she was holding hands with him.  But, I didn't get the feeling that it was comfortable for her.  It could be like others said and she needs the insurance, but I also wondered if she was afraid to file for divorce.  I also got the feeling that she was not at all comfortable with the situation and doing her best to fake it.

You guys, my daughter is in high school now and this over the top spectacle for just one night stuff starts early now.  I don't know about the high schools where you live, but here "prom-posals" are a big thing.  Big and public, lots of time and even some money goes into it.  My daughter hasn't gotten one yet because sophomores aren't allowed to go to the prom, but she spent all day yesterday helping one of her male friends work on his prom-posal for his girlfriend (her best friend).  *sigh*  I blame these over the top wedding shows for this  :)  My husband, father in law and I told my daughter last night over dinner that in our day, we were either called on the phone or asked in the hallway near the lockers. 

• Love 8
54 minutes ago, Koalagirl said:

Wife #2 in the polygamy group was very insensitive to wife #1 when she said "he likes everything I do."  I wonder if they're all going to live together like one big happy(?) family.  I agree with those of you who said wife #1 is probably holding on for medical coverage.  I wonder how many wives you can have as dependents on your medical insurance, assuming wife #1 doesn't have her own.

It's more probable that wife #2 has her own insurance, and wife #1 is allowing the mistress to move in so that #1 can keep the insurance and the roof over her head.  I'm not aware of any insurance company that would allow 2 wives on a policy . . . because that's illegal in this country.  

Agreed that the husband didn't seem to be any prize worth sharing.  He appeared to be socially awkward and didn't give off a wealthy vibe.  Beats me why #2 is even interested in this lifestyle . . . unless they're hoping to be the next TLC fiasco after Sisterwives is cancelled.

• Love 4
1 hour ago, Shannon L. said:

You guys, my daughter is in high school now and this over the top spectacle for just one night stuff starts early now.  I don't know about the high schools where you live, but here "prom-posals" are a big thing.  Big and public, lots of time and even some money goes into it.  My daughter hasn't gotten one yet because sophomores aren't allowed to go to the prom, but she spent all day yesterday helping one of her male friends work on his prom-posal for his girlfriend (her best friend).  *sigh*  I blame these over the top wedding shows for this  :)  My husband, father in law and I told my daughter last night over dinner that in our day, we were either called on the phone or asked in the hallway near the lockers. 

I saw a news segment recently about a community where asking someone to prom is a big thing like this.  Prom has become huge over the last few years, with entire weekends spent at hotels and limousines, to the tune of thousands of dollars.  And the parents get into this too in a giant game of Can You Top This.  It's obscene.  Same thing with high school graduation.  When I graduated high school it was something that was expected.  Now it's an expensive gift and a huge party.  I know I sound like an old curmudgeon, but what happens to this "Everyone Gets a Pony" generation when they run across real disappointment?

• Love 7

We've come a long way from Fred Weasley throwing a wadded up piece of paper at Angelina Johnson at dinner and miming "Wanna go to the ball with me?" . . . (Harry Potter reference for those who may not be as addicted to the series as I am.)

• Love 7

The over the top stuff has been coming for quite a while.  At my daughter's middle school graduation in the late 1980s there were girls dressed like they were going to be hitting the streets after the ceremony.  And limos.  Many arrived in limos.  My thought was "What are they going to do to top this for HS graduation, wedding, etc.?"  We bought my daughter a new (appropriate) dress and went out to dinner after.  Fortunately, she thought some of the others were ridiculous, too.

• Love 2

Bride #2's friends looked squicked out about the situation too.  Just like with Grand Canyon couple, I feel compelled to do some research on this wacky trio.  Why Why Why can't I just look away????

• Love 7
12 minutes ago, roughing it said:

Bride #2's friends looked squicked out about the situation too.  Just like with Grand Canyon couple, I feel compelled to do some research on this wacky trio.  Why Why Why can't I just look away????

Please let us know what you find out!!!

• Love 7

The polygamy group was super creepy. The guy was weird, old wife was weird, new wife was weird and a little too sure of herself. The whole thing was just yuck. Hubby and first wife looked like they had bodies buried in the basement. 

Maybe new wife should worry less about looking sexy, and more about an escape plan. 

Once again Shay needed help. Has he ever lived up to his own hype? I like him less and less. The intern was cute though.

• Love 9
On ‎5‎/‎7‎/‎2017 at 10:06 AM, lizzie3 said:

I was so excited to see the Hotel de Glace on last night's episode.  It's been on my bucket list for awhile now.  What a cool place to get married (pun not intended :)), and Quebec City is gorgeous in any season.  I loved the bride's fur wrap!  

As for the polygamous couple, I was mystified as to why/how they would have a "wedding" (spending several thousand $ on a dress alone).  They're not Mormon, so what type of ceremony could they have?  The whole thing seemed extremely strange. 

Even if they were Mormon (LDS), that church doesn't allow polygamy anymore, either.  The folks you see on reality TV are members of breakaway sects not sanctioned by the actual church.  The US government required that the LDS church drop polygamy as part of the deal when Utah became a state.

Polygamy is not legal in the US, therefore, these people are not going to be in a legal marriage.  Either wife #1 is divorced from the husband so he can legally marry wife #2 or wife #1 stays married to the husband while wife #2 is 'married' to him in a sham ceremony with no legal or religious significance.  I suspect it will be the latter, otherwise, there'd be very little reason for wife #1 to still be in the picture.  Since one of the marriages won't be legal, one of the wives is not going to be entitled to health insurance or pension funds earned by the husband.  If he dies, the one who is not legally married to him is not entitled to any of the husband's property. If he got sick, she wouldn't be able to make medical decisions on his behalf, talk to his doctors or otherwise participate if he wasn't able to speak.  By the same token, the husband would have the same problems in the case of death or serious illness of the wife to whom he was non-legally 'wed'. I would hope that they consulted a good lawyer and drew up a very specific contract for this arrangement as well as a will, a living will, a power of attorney for health care and the like.

• Love 4
(edited)

I would hope that they consulted a good lawyer and drew up a very specific contract for this arrangement as well as a will, a living will, a power of attorney for health care and the like.

I think you're giving them way too much credit.  I don't think there's much chance that they have thought of the legal ramifications of their actions.   I didn't think anyone could make Kody Brown and his family look sane, but these people just might be the ones to do it.

Edited by camom
  • Love 6
On 5/6/2017 at 7:11 PM, Madding crowd said:

The poly couple seemed really strange ( not the bride to be). Most polygamy people do it for religious reasons but they are doing it because the wife has OCD and doesn't want to be touched? Then the bride to be met them on a website? I don't know, the first wife was giving her some strange looks.

I'm confused. I know there have been other polygamists on TV. But I assumed they were at least somewhat shielded from prosecution because of the religious angle. But, taking a second wife because your first wife won't have sex???? Isn't that just flat-out against the law????

• Love 2

Bigamy is illegal.  Period.  This whole thing (full disclosure, this show has jumped the shark with their bizarre stores - I imagine Little People are next - and I no longer watch) was a heap of bushwa.  There are supposed "celestial" marriages but these carry zero legal weight.  This whole crock of crap was for ratings, nothing more.

• Love 6
26 minutes ago, shksabelle said:

I'm confused. I know there have been other polygamists on TV. But I assumed they were at least somewhat shielded from prosecution because of the religious angle. But, taking a second wife because your first wife won't have sex???? Isn't that just flat-out against the law????

I imagine if you hire a venue and have a friend or whoever perform a wedding or "commitment" ceremony without any marriage license then you aren't going to be prosecuted or anything, since it's basically celebrating the fact that the guy's mistress is moving in and public. I doubt it would even be a "celestial" marriage just an excuse for a party and probably for wife#2 to use it as an opportunity to continue trying to become top dog. If he tried to put 2 on his insurance or otherwise claim her as legal then it would probably start a legal investigation. As stated above there are lawyers who can draft contract and documents for poly couples concerned about medical issues, wills and custody of children to give as much protection to the relationships as possible, but I doubt this group will get that far.

• Love 3

I imagine Little People are next

I agree that the story lines have gotten ridiculous this season, but I'd kind of like to see them try to fit a little person.  They've had extremely tall women, very skinny and very heavy women, and at least one in a wheelchair.  I think it's interesting when there are challenges like that.

17 minutes ago, camom said:

I think it's interesting when there are challenges like that.

I can't imagine that most little people ever go to a normal store for clothing.  I would think most would need to be hand made or heavily altered. I may be wrong, however.

15 minutes ago, Kohola3 said:

I can't imagine that most little people ever go to a normal store for clothing.  I would think most would need to be hand made or heavily altered. I may be wrong, however.

There are websites if you do a search on clothing for little people.  Most of them are just custom tailor sites.  There was one for clothing, but it was VERY expensive.  The one wedding dress they showed was $1,700.  Not much compared to what we're seeing at Kleinfeld's, but when you consider that ALL wedding dresses are custom made, and LP clothes don't have much fabric, the price is comparable to Kleinfeld's.

• Love 1
On 5/8/2017 at 7:32 AM, AZChristian said:

Agreed that the husband didn't seem to be any prize worth sharing.  He appeared to be socially awkward and didn't give off a wealthy vibe.  Beats me why #2 is even interested in this lifestyle . . . unless they're hoping to be the next TLC fiasco after Sisterwives is cancelled.

My opinion: I was curious as to where they actually live; the second I saw that guy I thought "software money". (Socially awkward, not smooth with the chicks, bla bla bla.) There's money somewhere or Wife #2 wouldn't bother. She's hoping to usher Wife #1 out of the picture as soon as possible. Someone should tell her that he'll be on the hook for 18 years of child support at the least.

Two thoughts. 1. If one of my friends approached me and said that she was going to "marry" an already married man, I'd tell her she was nuts. One has to wonder why her friends were so gung-ho on this idea. Again, money. 2. Does Wife #1 have family? Are they worried she (and the child) are being mistreated in some fashion?

I have to admit wondering if the reason the Kleinfeld's consultant was asking for assistance had nothing to do with the shopping aspect and everything to do with a potentially dangerous situation in the salon. One has to wonder if they've happened before and Kleinfeld's asked the footage would not be shown.

• Love 2
2 minutes ago, Missy Vixen said:

My opinion: I was curious as to where they actually live; the second I saw that guy I thought "software money". (Socially awkward, not smooth with the chicks, bla bla bla.) There's money somewhere or Wife #2 wouldn't bother. She's hoping to usher Wife #1 out of the picture as soon as possible. Someone should tell her that he'll be on the hook for 18 years of child support at the least.

Two thoughts. 1. If one of my friends approached me and said that she was going to "marry" an already married man, I'd tell her she was nuts. One has to wonder why her friends were so gung-ho on this idea. Again, money. 2. Does Wife #1 have family? Are they worried she (and the child) are being mistreated in some fashion?

I have to admit wondering if the reason the Kleinfeld's consultant was asking for assistance had nothing to do with the shopping aspect and everything to do with a potentially dangerous situation in the salon. One has to wonder if they've happened before and Kleinfeld's asked the footage would not be shown.

I  must have missed the fact that the groom and Wife 1 have a child together. Yikes.

• Love 1
(edited)
4 minutes ago, Ciarrai said:

I  must have missed the fact that the groom and Wife 1 have a child together. Yikes.

And since she doesn't like to be touched they managed that........how?

To quote Cher in Moonstruck:  "This is modern times.  There's ain't supposed to be no miracles no more."

Edited by Kohola3
  • Love 1
4 minutes ago, Kohola3 said:

And since she doesn't like to be touched they managed that........how?

To quote Cher in Moonstruck:  "This is modern times.  There's ain't supposed to be no miracles no more."

She did say that her OCD problems developed after their child was born.  And, speaking of that child, who in their right mind thinks that this sort of living arrangement is going to be healthy and beneficial for a child?  If for no other reason than that, they should not be entering into this arrangement.

• Love 5
On 5/8/2017 at 7:38 PM, Kohola3 said:

I have a mild form of dwarfism that puts me at 4'7". I don't think of myself as a little person, although I think I could legally/medically be classified that way (I think 4'9" and under is considered so). Anyways, I had my wedding gown custom-made because I knew in the end it would be cheaper, but I have gone to the big bridal stores in the past for bridesmaids dresses and they were able to accommodate me. I'm sure Kleinfeld's could fit a little person - it means a whole lot of alterations and a whole lot of fabric that gets cut off the bottom of the dress, but as long as the bride picks a style that doesn't have a lot of beading or embroidery at the bottom, it should be no big deal. I'm sure Pnina or Mark Zunino would also be happy to custom design a gown. 

• Love 4

Fashionista bride was just there for her 15 minutes of fame and had no intention of buying anything. Judging by the selfies they showed of her posing her stylish self in front of a full length mirror, I'm sure she has a blog.

Ice castle bride actually said she was happy when she met her fiancé because it's hard to find Italian guys who like mountain climbing and traveling! Huh? Evil Spunkygal hooted when she slipped as she walked to the altar. Instead of those ugly furry booties maybe she should have had on cleats. And who waits 54 days before their wedding to find a dress? 

I was insulted by the polygamy trio. I don't know what in the hell is going on in that relationship but they all need serious counseling and meds. I can shrug and look the other way if someone convinces me that this arrangement is due to religious reasons (although I don't agree with it), but hubby takes another wife because he wants nookie? No. Find a way to work it out so you are satisfied (ahem!) or get a divorce. I wonder how old the child is that changed the family dynamic so much. I guess because so many other reality shows are just steaming piles of crappola, SYTTD has decided to wallow in the muck, too. Thanks for ruining what used to be a fun program, TLC.

• Love 3
23 minutes ago, Spunkygal said:

I guess because so many other reality shows are just steaming piles of crappola, SYTTD has decided to wallow in the muck, too. Thanks for ruining what used to be a fun program, TLC.

Amen to that.  And according to previews I've seen it gets worse - Randy becomes a  somethingorother (Preacher?  Justice of the Peace?) so he can perform a wedding.  What's next?  Pnina becomes a midwife so they can show the pregnant brides giving birth?  I am so over this BS. 

• Love 7

Kohola, don't give the show planners any new ideas.  They seem to be doing just fine on their own finding ridiculous story lines.  I've been watching SYTTD since it began, and they have been getting more and more ridiculous over the past couple of years, but last week's 3-some was too much.  I cannot believe the owners of Kleinfelds thought that was OK to produce and air as entertainment.  It was cringeworthy.

• Love 5

That polygamous trio was WEIRD. Wife #2 said she met him on seekingarangements.com which is a sugar baby site. Basically she was looking for men to give her money etc. Considering the trio wasn't very attractive to begin with I say she lucked out if he's rich. Wife #1 was very very off. I thought she would flip out or start crying any moment. I must know more lol

• Love 2

Bride with no appointment - the way to approach (even during this very fake set up but nonetheless) the receptionist is not "listen, I don't have an appointment but I need a dress." 

Why is Shay wearing capri pants and a tshirt? Yes, his bride is an athlete but that doesn't mean YOU are. He was more dressed up during his talking head than the actual appointment. Lord. You know what will hide those sweat stains of yours? A suit jacket. 

How does Pnina not know you need a license to marry people?? Also, who cares if Randy is doing weddings. I don't know why that was considered so funny to everyone. 

So I see that giant bling is out and massive boob and hip cut outs are in? 

• Love 5

if the bride just walking in was fake why call the owner. ? what are they trying to prove? 

those woman were only trying on pnina gowns. i thought those dresses were ridiculous. my first thougt with the cleavage dress was why have your boobs hanging out. the pink one looked more like a party gown.

of course someone needs a license to marry a couple or its not legal. pnina told the whole store about him marrying that couple.they all went what?!    is there something wrong about him being a minister? they should have explained why they were shocked.

• Love 2

OH EMM GEEEEEEE. This was the most faked episode of SYTTD yet, and that's saying a LOT.

If Empire State Building Bride expects anyone to believe that she just HAPPENED to walk in off the street on a Sunday with no appointment, buy a dress that was miraculously altered in two days (did I mention the time consuming train shortening and neckline issues? Of course Pnina was in the alterations room cracking the whip on Vera and her staff, if she wasn't sewing the dress herself,) and damn, it's a good thing that Randy is now qualified to marry people, isn't it? The sheer number of coinki-dinks in five minutes of airtime made me freaking dizzy. I'd also loooove to know how far in advance one has to book a wedding on the top floor of the Empire State Building (not to mention the presto-reception seconds later) but I'm guessing I just didn't understand the "magic" of love and significant product placement.

Speaking of "Sleepless in Seattle" (and screw you, old man -- the last five minutes of that movie still make me cry because Tom Hanks is a tremendous actor, unlike your staff): I understand that we're not all that compared with the hustle and bustle of NYC, but booking one of the iconic sites in Seattle to get married is a year to 18 months out no matter who you are. They don't care if you're wearing a Pnina that looks like someone slashed it with a box cutter, either.

Best yet: The bride appeared to be working off of a script. Is she an actress?

Someone needs to tell Pnina that "you'd better sit down before I tell you this" has nothing to do with announcing that Randy is qualified to perform weddings now. It has everything to do with "someone you love died" or "someone you love is sick". Sometimes it's "I got a job in Hawaii with a $40,000 a year raise", but I'm guessing most people have experienced Door #1 a hell of a lot more.

Fake, fake, fake.

The woman in the ballgown (Queen?) was stunning. 

So, who's betting me that TLC is having a contest soon and the grand prize is Randy officiating at the winner's wedding? I smell spin-off!

3 minutes ago, lor said:

if the bride just walking in was fake why call the owner. ? what are they trying to prove? 

How much do you want to bet that woman knows the owner of Kleinfeld's or her husband does business with him?

• Love 12

So Empire State Building Bride (ESBB),walks in off the street with no appointment, and sure got a lot of major attention. Didn't she say her budget was $2000? I think that dress she got was $6000 and that's without the alterations. And of course Randy just conveniently got his Iicense to officiate weddings. Everyone at Kleinfeld's just has to be  there for the renewal. If I was a bridal customer who bought a gown there and was constrained by budget, I'd be kind of pissed at watching all the special perks that ESBB was getting. #FakityFake

I've seen some really beautiful gowns on mannequins and brides in the background. But the on camera brides always seem to buy the worst dresses. You'd think Kleinfeld's would want to promote their variety and most beautiful gowns.

• Love 7

First bride, did y'all catch the husband thanking the cast and crew of syttd during that little toast. I will say the woman,  I forgot her name already but girlfriend  looked great for having four babies.

• Love 2

Why did everyone keep saying that Randy became a minister?  He said he got his license to perform marriages, that doesn't make him a minister.

Really, Shay?  A t-shirt with big ole pit stains?  Can you imagine if one of the women consultants showed up for work so casual?

• Love 5

When did Randy become a fame whore? I mean, good for him I guess, this cash cow is going to be running out for him soon. (And I love Randy). 

Shay's outfit would not have been appropriate in even the most laid-back of office settings on a casual Friday. Go home and change. 

Obviously the bride with no appointment plot was contrived, because unless she was throwing around an unlimited budget, there's no way Kleinfeld's would roll out the red carpet for her that way on 2 days notice. With that said, was I supposed to find her likable and endearing? Because I generally hate people who stroll into a place and act like the rules don't apply to them. 

That reception was also just...weird.  I'm guessing that they staged a reception that only the Kleinfeld people attended in order to get closing shots for the episode. Note the empty reception table - just one carelessly placed centerpiece and champagne glasses but no plates or utensils signifying that they were about to have a meal - and the tight camera angles - so that it wouldn't be clear that they were shoved in a tiny room with no other guests in attendance. 

• Love 5
(edited)

So Mr. Kleinfleld and Pnina show up to a stranger's wedding? I couldn't help but think more brides would want Pnina to attend theirs.

I bet Randy will have a lucrative little side business going and why not.  He’s very charming, but I bet the brides will expect more attention and advise from him.

Edited by bagatelle
  • Love 3

I agree with everyone about the fake wedding. And let me add that they've probably just opened themselves up to a number of attempts at walk in appointments.

Queen was beautiful in that last gown and I loved it in spite of the fact that it was pretty sheer on the top and a Pnina.

• Love 4

You're already MARRIED.   (1) You are not a bride.  (2)  A Vow Renewal has absolutely no legal status, you don't need an officiant.  You can speak in Klingon in front of pigeons in the park and it will have the same legal significance. (3)  F off with the attention seeking of playing dress up on top of the Empire State Building.

• Love 24