Type keyword(s) to search

Say Yes To The Dress - General Discussion

• Start Topic

(edited)
On 2017-07-07 at 8:25 PM, Kohola3 said:

Was Diana nice or a bridezilla?

The Emmanuels (both of them wrote the book) described her as wonderful and down to earth.  At one point he was meeting with Diana at Buckingham Palace and the two of them went out on the balcony and waved at people.

The Emmanuels spent a lot of time researching past royal wedding dresses and considering the scale of the venue.  They actually went to St Paul's to measure the aisle.

Some of the lace on the bodice came from the collection of the Royal School of Needlepoint.  Queen Mary (Grandmother of the Queen Elizabeth) had donated it during WW2 for a fundraising program.

This is the book:

https://www.amazon.com/Dress-Diana-David-Emanuel/dp/0062088033

Edited by VGL
  • Love 3

Watched about an hour of yesterday's show. Found the mother with the distracting makeup - distracting. Half would look better. Did like the more moderate budgets. Same old issue with the girls wanting the big day and the white carpet. And some having a starter marriage.  23 is kinda young these days, but that is just me. An elegant dress does not give you elegance. Ibiza looks very nice - at least the non-party side.

From Saturday's show, I loved the gown that the cosplay girl chose!  It's funny that her mother mentioned Wonder Woman because that was the first thing that crossed my mind when I first saw it on her.  It was made for her and I hope her fiance loved it as much as she did. 

Beyond that, I only really remember the woman at the end who was having a hard time choosing because she was uncomfortable with her body.  I'm not a big fan of mermaid style (I do love ruching, though), but it did help her a lot and I loved the first dress she came out in.  I liked it better than the last one because I didn't like the bling that went over the shoulders and up around the chest area. 

17 hours ago, gonecrackers said:

I thought the boobage was bad, but I'm so sick of asses.

I thought the same exact thing!  I mean, it's important that your dress doesn't show a lumpy butt, and I would hope that someone would be kind enough to tell me if what I had on was too tight and unflattering, but I'm tired of hearing "It makes your bum/butt look fantastic!"  Can't they just say "that flatters your figure perfectly!"?

I'm really glad the final bride chose pink.  I'm not a big fan of pink myself, but it's her day, it's what she wants and the dress was beautiful on her. 

• Love 2

The makeup job on that horrid woman who was still dressing her 35 year-old daughter? Overtanned. Fluorescent pale pink lips with dark liner. Eyes lined like Cleopatra with white shadow beneath and hot pink on the lids to the brow bone. And the clothes! Don't get me started. But she and her daughter thought she was the shizz. Go figure.

Other than clinkers like her, I quite enjoy the UK version.  There doesn't appear to be any conflict between the consultants (although Zoe is rather chirpy) and the dresses are so reasonably priced. There seem to be a couple a dresses that show up at least once in every episode, like that one from Dando London with the illusion back and sides.

The Kleinfeld's version is still my fave, tho.

• Love 1

Please tell me someone else saw the rerun of this morning's episode:  Silver $34,000 Pinina gown and Turtleneck bride.  I have no words.  The 34G dress was hideous.  Big poofy layered bottom but wait....it was hi-low, too!!  

Then came turtleneck bride.....as you may know, turtlenecks were her thing.  She wanted a high neck gown come hell or high water.   

Here is my question:  "Hello?  Kleinfelds?  Do you have this $34,000 one of a kind runway Pinina dress?  No?  Okay."  or...."Hello?  Kleinfelds?  Do you have this Queen Anne hich neck style? No?  Okay...thank you!"

One more nitpick - why oh why do people insist on wearing a glittery belt?  It cuts them in half, draws attention to the waist and you have just purchased a $250 belt.  

• Love 4
5 minutes ago, Mrs. Hanson said:

...and you have just purchased a $250 belt.  

That you will never again wear in this lifetime.  Of course, the same could be said for that 34K monstrosity.

I would pay big money to see interviews of these idiots in 10 years discussing how stupid they were.  And see how many are still married.

• Love 6
19 minutes ago, Mrs. Hanson said:

Please tell me someone else saw the rerun of this morning's episode:  Silver $34,000 Pinina gown and Turtleneck bride.  I have no words.  The 34G dress was hideous.  Big poofy layered bottom but wait....it was hi-low, too!!  

Then came turtleneck bride.....as you may know, turtlenecks were her thing.  She wanted a high neck gown come hell or high water.   

Here is my question:  "Hello?  Kleinfelds?  Do you have this $34,000 one of a kind runway Pinina dress?  No?  Okay."  or...."Hello?  Kleinfelds?  Do you have this Queen Anne hich neck style? No?  Okay...thank you!"

One more nitpick - why oh why do people insist on wearing a glittery belt?  It cuts them in half, draws attention to the waist and you have just purchased a $250 belt.  

I HATE the belts. 100% of the time the dress looks pretty without the dang belt. Then they look like a superhero. I like a nice, pale-colored sash sometimes, though.

• Love 4

I'm with you, cpcathy.  I don't like the glittery belts (but then I'm not a 'bling' person), but I do like a sash with some dresses, especially if it fits in with the wedding colors.  I've seen a couple of episodes where the brides wanted a specific color dress, like black, and the staff was able to talk them into a white dress with a black sash.  It can be stunning.

• Love 2
2 minutes ago, camom said:

I'm with you, cpcathy.  I don't like the glittery belts (but then I'm not a 'bling' person), but I do like a sash with some dresses, especially if it fits in with the wedding colors.  I've seen a couple of episodes where the brides wanted a specific color dress, like black, and the staff was able to talk them into a white dress with a black sash.  It can be stunning.

I like a pale colored sash or I have a friend who LOVED the color red her whole life so she had a red sash - for her it was great.  My wedding dress for this fall is long and lean with roushing (did I spell that right?) and does NOT need a belt.  The girl helping me was like do you want a belt?  I was like....hell no.  

If it flows with the dress to add a sash, then yes please otherwise leave it alone!  Frankly I have been to A LOT of weddings (I am 52!) and you know what I remember?  The food, the atmosphere, THE BRIDE AND GROOM THANKING ME FOR COMING, the great music.  I never remember the dress.  Ever.  Especially nowadays, they look alike:  sweetheart neckline, bling across the top, glittery sash and a flowy bottom.  

• Love 2
4 minutes ago, Mrs. Hanson said:

My wedding dress for this fall is long and lean with roushing (did I spell that right?) and does NOT need a belt.  The girl helping me was like do you want a belt?  I was like....hell no.  

It's "ruching" . . . and your dress is gorgeous as is . . . doesn't need a belt.

• Love 2
4 minutes ago, AZChristian said:

It's "ruching" . . . and your dress is gorgeous as is . . . doesn't need a belt.

Thank you!!  I am not very bridal so I am not into the spelling of these words!!!  Thank you for the kind words on my dress.  I have been dieting like a mad woman to fit into that thing!!! LOL!  

• Love 2

I am not a bling girl either. I love pearls. And a belt or sash does sometimes add something to a gown. But one million times I have thought...if you need a sash, make it yourself or find someone to make it for a fraction of the cost! 

@Mrs. Hanson, I can't believe you need to diet to fit in your dress. It looked perfect on you in the pic you posted. And I love ruching. At the ripe old age of 60, it hides my multitude of sins. I am attending an afternoon wedding in a few months and found a dress with ruching that looks pretty good on me. 

2 minutes ago, Spunkygal said:

I am not a bling girl either. I love pearls. And a belt or sash does sometimes add something to a gown. But one million times I have thought...if you need a sash, make it yourself or find someone to make it for a fraction of the cost! 

@Mrs. Hanson, I can't believe you need to diet to fit in your dress. It looked perfect on you in the pic you posted. And I love ruching. At the ripe old age of 60, it hides my multitude of sins. I am attending an afternoon wedding in a few months and found a dress with ruching that looks pretty good on me. 

Thank you so much for kind words but.....I bought that dress a year ago (June 2016) and I gained weight over the winter!!!  Like, it is not a little tight....IT WON'T GO ON!!!  lol!!!  What frustrates me (and I only have myself to blame) is I did not buy it thinking I would diet and lose weight, I actually fit into it a year ago.  But I have been losing weight (dresses with no give fit me now that did not fit in May) and Spanx or Yummy Tummy will be my friend that day!!!  I am confident!!!!

I am glad you found a dress that fits!!  It makes you feel so good, I bet.  And I love pearls, too!!!  I am wearing a simple pearl necklace and pretty pearl earring on my day plus a pearl bracelet.  Pearls and lace get a bad reputation on this show (it looks like a tablecloth!!!  No it doesn't, it looks like a dress!!!) and I love them both,  

• Love 1

I never remember the dress.  

The dresses that I do remember are the ones that are over-the-top ugly or that don't fit right.  I went to a wedding a couple of years ago and the only thing I remember about the dress is that it was strapless and the bride kept tugging at it all night.

• Love 2

These strapless ones all look alike to me. I used to be able to recall dresses better because one had short sleeves, another long, another puffy, another maybe cap, or off the shoulder - you know - there was variety at one time.

• Love 3

I am not sure how much longer I can stomach this show. Everything!!! is strapless, or mermaid.  Strapless is such a hard dress to carry off imho.  Yet broad shouldered brides, busty brides, skinny as a rail brides, chubby brides, they all seem to want strapless.   And everyone tells them how beautiful they look.  For once I would like to see some helpful suggestions made to steer the bride in a more flattering direction.  If the consultant doesn't say something than someone in the huge entourage they always  bring along should speak up.  I have always believed that every bride is beautiful on their wedding day but this show is beginning to change my mind. 

• Love 5
1 hour ago, abbey said:

I am not sure how much longer I can stomach this show. Everything!!! is strapless, or mermaid.  Strapless is such a hard dress to carry off imho.  Yet broad shouldered brides, busty brides, skinny as a rail brides, chubby brides, they all seem to want strapless.   And everyone tells them how beautiful they look.  For once I would like to see some helpful suggestions made to steer the bride in a more flattering direction.  If the consultant doesn't say something than someone in the huge entourage they always  bring along should speak up.  I have always believed that every bride is beautiful on their wedding day but this show is beginning to change my mind. 

I agree 100% - some of these brides that passed DD a looong time ago need straps!!!  It doesn't even matter if you are gonna dance, just walking and not falling out on your wedding day is kind of a big deal.  (Full disclosure - my dress is strapless but I am adding sleeves.  I am a bit busty - nothing like we have seen here!! - and I need the corset back to help hold everything up.  And it is NOT a sweetheart neckline and it is a bit higher bodice than the norm,  No no spilling!!) 

I would say to a bride - look, just try on many styles!!  Just because everyone else is on strapless doesn't mean you have to as well!!

Do consultants earn a salary or commission?

• Love 1
47 minutes ago, Mrs. Hanson said:

Do consultants earn a salary or commission?

I'm guessing commission which is why Diane always used to bring out over-budget dresses.  And why consultants gush over how beautiful the girl is in the dress when clearly she is not.  To steer a customer away from the Dress of Her Dreams and risk losing a commission is something we will just never see. 

I imagine Randy is on salary which is why he occasionally tries to pick something more appropriate for the body type.  Not that they listen once they have been brainwashed to want only one thing.

• Love 2
1 hour ago, Kohola3 said:

'm guessing commission which is why Diane always used to bring out over-budget dresses.  And why consultants gush over how beautiful the girl is in the dress when clearly she is not.  To steer a customer away from the Dress of Her Dreams and risk losing a commission is something we will just never see. 

So I bet when they close Kleinfelds and the daughter of a sheik shows up and buys three dresses that total $150,000 - do they arm wrestle to see who gets THAT appointment?

• Love 2

Watched some of the UK show this evening. I keep seeing the last few minutes of the Elle King ep - how many times will it be re-run?

Gothic bride - unless your wedding guests are encouraged to wear dark attire, the dark dress will look like a costume. The dress she picked also looked costumey with the hi-lo skirt.

The theatre girl picked a nice dress. I got the Harry Potter and Disney girl kinda mixed up.

• Love 1

Watching the Deborah Doty/Princess Di episode, she is nuts. That dress is so far off the Princess Di mark it's not even funny, the awful, prom jewelry and tiara and did I see gloves or gauntlets?  Not to mention the fact she thought she has conversations with Princess Di which is worrisome that she is so delusional and is an officer of the law.

Oy vey.

• Love 5

Very few salespeople will tell someone they don't look good in something. Most people don't want to hear honesty and you are risking not only a loss of sale and a commission but a complaint to your manager, bad online reviews and possibly loss of your job. It's not worth it especially when these women have a certain dressshape they won't waiver from.

• Love 4
2 hours ago, Madding crowd said:

Very few salespeople will tell someone they don't look good in something. Most people don't want to hear honesty and you are risking not only a loss of sale and a commission but a complaint to your manager, bad online reviews and possibly loss of your job. It's not worth it especially when these women have a certain dressshape they won't waiver from.

You make a good point but it is scary that there are so many clueless women out there who think they look amazing in dresses that only make them look like their boobs are falling out of the dress, make them look like they are stuffed in the dress, or they are showing off far too much of body parts that don't need to be seen. 

• Love 3

I got a very strong "three-dress-try-on-limit" vibe from last night's British portion.  A couple of the brides got to their third dress and left with an "I need to think about it" comment - and it felt like they weren't being encouraged to stay and try more.  And WHY are they starting to show higher-priced gowns (including Pnina NoWay)?  One of the best parts of the show was seeing beautiful, classy dresses that were more realistically priced.

• Love 1

Maybe the shop has 1 hour apointments. Nothing like having some potential 'brides' or girls just wanting to try on dresses take up a half day of your time. I would think that the serious brides who could not make a fast decision would book another session.

2 hours ago, AZChristian said:

I got a very strong "three-dress-try-on-limit" vibe from last night's British portion.  A couple of the brides got to their third dress and left with an "I need to think about it" comment - and it felt like they weren't being encouraged to stay and try more.  And WHY are they starting to show higher-priced gowns (including Pnina NoWay)?  One of the best parts of the show was seeing beautiful, classy dresses that were more realistically priced.

Most salons have timed appointment.  I'm going on a shopping expedition next Sunday with a family member - her appointment at Nordstrom's is for an hour and a half.  She went there a couple of weeks ago to scope out what they had ahead of time.  She has her eye on a $3200 Lazaro which her grandmother will pay for - actually, grandma will pay $$$$ for whatever her only granddaughter wants.  Grandma is turning out to be a bigger bridezilla than the bride whom I believe is completely taking advantage of that fact.

3 hours ago, abbey said:

You make a good point but it is scary that there are so many clueless women out there who think they look amazing in dresses that only make them look like their boobs are falling out of the dress, make them look like they are stuffed in the dress, or they are showing off far too much of body parts that don't need to be seen. 

Yep - Can you imagine a five foot two inch bride who weighs 200 pounds trying on a sleeveless mermaid dress?  She probably looks a squeezed sausage but if the consultant says, "You know, this other style will look so much prettier on you"  that bride might get offended and go home and be all over social media complaining.  

2 hours ago, Frozendiva said:

Maybe the shop has 1 hour apointments. Nothing like having some potential 'brides' or girls just wanting to try on dresses take up a half day of your time. I would think that the serious brides who could not make a fast decision would book another session.

Where I bought my dress there are clear signs saying Dress Try-On's are for brides only.  This is a consignment store and they need to keep them as clean as possible for resell.   Plus the thought of four girls coming in to try on dresses, taking up four dressing rooms "just for fun" would be very draining.

• Love 1

Haven't seen all of the UK this week yet but I thought Fatema's dress was lovely, but then again I do love lace. The Pnina in the same show at the end was obscene, but what else is new. Honestly I hadn't paid much attention to the rest of the show. It's become background noise for me because every time I look up I'm seeing the same crap again which is disappointing.

• Love 1

We are on a dress hunt for my daughter which has turned out to be harder than anticipated. We have had 4 appointments (different places) and at each even if we were there just an hour she's tried on at least 5 and usually more. I can't imaging trying on three and being told 'ok pick one'. Sure some people really know what they want and it works out quickly. But most people don't. 

I had tried on five at a local discount bridal, wasn't in love with anything so I was dressed and ready to go when my friend spotted a dress hanging behind the counter. She asked what was that one, they said someone had put it on hold but never came back for it. I tried it on and it was perfect (just too long and needed to be shortened). I bought it for $400 and it even came with a matching shawl! 

Are there discount bridal stores anywhere or has everything gone to the internet?

• Love 1
12 hours ago, cpcathy said:

I had tried on five at a local discount bridal, wasn't in love with anything so I was dressed and ready to go when my friend spotted a dress hanging behind the counter. She asked what was that one, they said someone had put it on hold but never came back for it. I tried it on and it was perfect (just too long and needed to be shortened). I bought it for $400 and it even came with a matching shawl! 

Are there discount bridal stores anywhere or has everything gone to the internet?

We have a few here in the cities, Bride to Be Consignment and Off the Rack.  Von Maur has beautiful dresses around prom time of you are looking for more low key.  Try Ebay or Craig;s List.  I am not sure how handy you are with a sewing machine but I have seen dresses at Goodwill and Unique that you could use as a base, add straps cut the hideous 70's bottom fringe off. 

We have a huge discount mall - Arizona Mills - nearby.  They have a very large store with gowns for proms, wedding (brides, bridesmaids, mother of the bride), etc.  I used to call it the Vanna White store.  Nice selection, and I've never seen anything over $1,000 for brides there.  It's called Camille la Vie.  

• Love 1

If I was shopping for something as special as a bridal gown, in a shop that sells only bridal gowns, I would definitely ask the consultants for suggestions as to style.  Just because you like a particular style doesn't mean it will look good on you.

My ex-husband's niece got married this past weekend and I saw photos on facebook.  Lovely girl, but I doubt anyone noticed because her boobs were barely covered.  Looked pretty tacky to me.

• Love 1
5 hours ago, cpcathy said:

Oh good. Women need to have options of attractive dresses cheaper than $1000, I think.

Samples are a great choice for nice options at a lower price. Most are in excellent condition and we've seen them 50-75% off. 

I just watched the bride who was getting married with dolphins and all I ca say is, WHAT?   And was it just me, but I sure had a tough time understanding the bride when she spoke.  I just don't get these unusual weddings. 

I wonder if this "fight" between Randy and Shay was real or producer-driven, but it was obnoxious.  I think the bride picked the best dress, but personally, I'm so over the tattoos.  I just wish I could see what these people look like in 30 years when those tats have morphed into something real ugly. 

• Love 2

Was I the only one surprised in the U.K. episode that the girl who is getting married in St. Paul's cathedral bought a dress with bare shoulders?  That doesn't seem appropriate for a church like that. 

• Love 1

Was I the only one surprised in the U.K. episode that the girl who is getting married in St. Paul's cathedral bought a dress with bare shoulders? 

I bet they have to wear something to cover their shoulders like a shawl or shrug.  I can't imagine strapless in such a place.  We've seen SYTTD weddings where they are wearing something like that but it wasn't mentioned in the episode when they bought the dress.

• Love 1

When my co-worker was shopping for her wedding dress for her marriage to a Brit she was told by her future mother in law that the strapless dress is a no-no, it's just not appropriate, she found a strapless dress and put cap sleeves on it. 

15 hours ago, Psychobunny said:

Most brides I know go to David's and spend a lot less than $1000.

I went to David's Bridal here in Richfield MN and even the sale/budget section there were none less than $500.  Still a good deal but I am the penny pinching queen!!  LOL!