Type keyword(s) to search

Say Yes To The Dress - General Discussion

• Start Topic

My ex-husband's niece got married this past weekend and I saw photos on facebook.  Lovely girl, but I doubt anyone noticed because her boobs were barely covered.  Looked pretty tacky to me

I finally saw photos of the whole dress.  From the back it looked lovely, with a decent train.  From the front, however...not only were her boobs hanging out, but the skirt was cut up nearly to her crotch.  Ewwww.

4 hours ago, camom said:

From the back it looked lovely, with a decent train.  From the front, however...not only were her boobs hanging out, but the skirt was cut up nearly to her crotch.  Ewwww.

I just don't understand this. You have every day of your life to dress however you want. A thousand nights to look sexy - a thousand parties for little black skirts.

Why dress like a hooker on the one day you should be respectful of the family and friends who came to celebrate with you. It's like these girls are afraid they'll never have an audience again. Those are your photographers - not the paparazzi. You are not a princess, or a celebrity, or a queen. I guarantee grandma doesn't want to see your boobs flopping around. I doubt your father does either. 

Even if it's not a family event, have some respect for yourself. Is that all you bring to this union? Big 'ole boobies and a crotch?

• Love 7

Even if it's not a family event, have some respect for yourself. Is that all you bring to this union? Big 'ole boobies and a crotch?

From the dresses selected and the crude comments of grooms and male friends I'd say the answer to that question is yet.  There are certainly no brains involved.  Or common sense.  So when the boobs are hanging down to the crotch and wrinkles appear they'll be going separate ways.

• Love 2
20 hours ago, Hockeymom said:

Why dress like a hooker on the one day you should be respectful of the family and friends who came to celebrate with you. It's like these girls are afraid they'll never have an audience again. Those are your photographers - not the paparazzi. You are not a princess, or a celebrity, or a queen. I guarantee grandma doesn't want to see your boobs flopping around. I doubt your father does either. 

I don't care if some classless tacky girl wants to dress like a hooker on her wedding day so much. I mean, yes, its classless and tacky but its her life. But, if you are getting married in a church why on earth would you wear a skin tight dress with no front and no back? At least show some respect to the church and religious folks who will be there. I'm an atheist myself but I believe in respecting people's beliefs and traditions. Get married in Vegas if you want to look like a $2 hooker.

Another thing I never, ever get with the brides on this show--so many of them say "I want to stand out" or "I want to be the center of attention" or "I want all eyes on ME" as their criterion for choosing a dress. Honey. You're the bride. Where else are your guests going to be looking? Sometimes I think my eyes are going to roll right out of my head, for real.

• Love 15
10 minutes ago, Pepper Mostly said:

I don't care if some classless tacky girl wants to dress like a hooker on her wedding day so much. I mean, yes, its classless and tacky but its her life. But, if you are getting married in a church why on earth would you wear a skin tight dress with no front and no back? At least show some respect to the church and religious folks who will be there. I'm an atheist myself but I believe in respecting people's beliefs and traditions. Get married in Vegas if you want to look like a $2 hooker.

Another thing I never, ever get with the brides on this show--so many of them say "I want to stand out" or "I want to be the center of attention" or "I want all eyes on ME" as their criterion for choosing a dress. Honey. You're the bride. Where else are your guests going to be looking? Sometimes I think my eyes are going to roll right out of my head, for real.

No kidding to the whole post!  "I want to stand out!"  Like were you concerned you were NOT going to be noticed on this day??  I saw a dress this morning (an athlete who had an young daughter hugging her) and OMG - it was slit down to there.  Total boobage on display.  Go to Vegas and look like a showgirl from the Tropicana!!  I am not all that religious either (civil ceremony for us in an arboretum) but have a little respect for the sacred ceremony!!!  Amen (sorry) for having respect for the ceremony.  Entering a Jewish temple?  Cover your arms.  HEck some churches still have women and men sit apart and you know what?  That is their rule, accept it and smile.

• Love 3
(edited)

I need to correct by above post about the athlete and woman who had her her daughter hugging her - they were two different women.  (Hey it was early, I was waking up and no glasses!!)  But the hurdler woman who was proposed to at the 2016 Olympics?  $10,000 to $15,000 for a dress? DAMN!  I should have been a hurdler!!! 

The other woman still looked like a Vegas showgirl looking for tips.

Today there was a woman who was getting married after re-meeting him at their 40 yr high school reunion.  She had to be at least 58 and was buying a see through Pinina dress, IN PINK.  I really wanted to get behind her as she had a slammin' body.....but it was just not age appropriate, or just appropriate for her.  I am 52 so I am not picking on her age - she looked GREAT.  I am now going to shoo kids off my lawn.

Edited to add:  this morning there was a rerun with another Creepy Dad.  "That flower on the side of that dress looks like a flacid penis."  Seriously?  In real life?  On tv?  I was close with my dad and we could talk in a blunt YET APPROPRIATE MANNER but he would have never uttered such language in mixed company and while being filmed.  (Hey he was in the Navy....I am not that naive.!!)

Edited by Mrs. Hanson
  • Love 4

Seriously!?!?  I just saw the episode where Shay cried when the woman put on her dress. Spectacularly unprofessional. I would have fired his ass. This isn't about him. This wasn't a sob story that would bring tears to everyone's eyes. It was a self absorbed a-hole being an a-hole. I'm sure it was for the cameras but still. 

And while I'm thinking about that bride - she was gorgeous and so was her venue, but inviting 20 people to your wedding isn't an elopement. It's a small wedding LOL

• Love 3

Since we're getting all these reruns, I'm seeing again why I can't stand Shay. It's actually Randy's JOB to help the consultants. We've been over this in other seasons. He gets no part of their commissions. He may get some bonus based on total sales, but what the consultants earn, they keep. He is a helper, a cheerleader, and a closer

Once again, we get to see Shay dismiss Randy's offers of help. Once again we get to see him panic in the middle of an appointment and demand assistance from the first person he sees. Once again, we learn all about how he's going to "snatch that waist" for all "his brides". Dude, they are not your brides. They are brides who came to a salon that doesn't have your name on the door. You are just a high maintenance employee.

• Love 4
2 hours ago, 3girlsforus said:

Seriously!?!?  I just saw the episode where Shay cried when the woman put on her dress. Spectacularly unprofessional. I would have fired his ass. This isn't about him. This wasn't a sob story that would bring tears to everyone's eyes. It was a self absorbed a-hole being an a-hole. I'm sure it was for the cameras but still. 

And while I'm thinking about that bride - she was gorgeous and so was her venue, but inviting 20 people to your wedding isn't an elopement. It's a small wedding LOL

Wasn't that the Golf Channel announcer?  I think she kept referring to it as an 'elopement' rather than a destination wedding because she and her fiancé were deliberately excluding her kids from it.  I think she was afraid people might think poorly of her for not planning a wedding that her kids could attend, so she tried to pretend it wasn't a destination wedding at a fancy resort but instead, they were eloping so, of course, her kids couldn't be there.

• Love 4
1 hour ago, doodlebug said:

Wasn't that the Golf Channel announcer?  I think she kept referring to it as an 'elopement' rather than a destination wedding because she and her fiancé were deliberately excluding her kids from it.  I think she was afraid people might think poorly of her for not planning a wedding that her kids could attend, so she tried to pretend it wasn't a destination wedding at a fancy resort but instead, they were eloping so, of course, her kids couldn't be there.

Yea thaf was her. I figured the same thing about wanting a wedding without her kids. 

I'm just sick of all these reruns recording as new. 

I don't understand why they don't just air the UK episodes alone.  It's annoying to have to zap through an hour rerun of the original to get to two new hours of the UK version.  Usually they do this kind of thing to give a boost to the second show, but using a rerun makes no sense.

• Love 4
10 hours ago, 3girlsforus said:

Yea thaf was her. I figured the same thing about wanting a wedding without her kids. 

That was a big red flag for me and the fact she was expecting but did not include her kids...I wonder if they are still married.

• Love 1
(edited)
1 hour ago, AZChristian said:

And now a link to the actual wedding.

And I will be snarky enough to say it: After viewing the pictures of her from the side, I'm sure none of her friends were surprised when it was announced at the reception that she was pregnant. 

(I'm not pregnancy-shaming. And she looked lovely in the dress. I'm just remembering how she talked about being coy and not confirming her pregnancy when friends asked her before the nuptials. Mother Nature has her own timeline which won't always fit in with wedding plans.)

Edited by rur
  • Love 3
2 hours ago, rur said:

And I will be snarky enough to say it: After viewing the pictures of her from the side, I'm sure none of her friends were surprised when it was announced at the reception that she was pregnant. 

(I'm not pregnancy-shaming. And she looked lovely in the dress. I'm just remembering how she talked about being coy and not confirming her pregnancy when friends asked her before the nuptials. Mother Nature has her own timeline which won't always fit in with wedding plans.)

Why were her kids not invited?  And that was not an elopement, it was a destination wedding!!!

• Love 1
7 minutes ago, Mrs. Hanson said:

Why were her kids not invited?  And that was not an elopement, it was a destination wedding!!!

I MAY BE WRONG, but I seem to remember that the kids don't even live with her.  

1 hour ago, AZChristian said:

I MAY BE WRONG, but I seem to remember that the kids don't even live with her.  

Even if they did not live with her they could have gone to the wedding.  (I am not arguing with you, it is just puzzling.)  One of the conditions on our wedding was even a courthouse affair (which I was in favor of, btw) needed to include my two offspring.  Period.

• Love 2

There was much speculation on first airing that the custodial arrangement was not "friendly."  The daughter's whose opinion was so important was never seen or heard on her Facetime call, presumably because the father wouldn't allow her to be filmed.  And perhaps she required the father's permission to take the children out of state.

• Love 1
31 minutes ago, Mrs. Hanson said:

Even if they did not live with her they could have gone to the wedding.  (I am not arguing with you, it is just puzzling.)  One of the conditions on our wedding was even a courthouse affair (which I was in favor of, btw) needed to include my two offspring.  Period.

I agree.  One of the pictures of her online shows her, the new husband, and her 3 kids.  She said they were all the loves of her life (or something like that).  How do you not have the loves of your life at your wedding?

5 minutes ago, Quof said:

There was much speculation on first airing that the custodial arrangement was not "friendly."  The daughter's whose opinion was so important was never seen or heard on her Facetime call, presumably because the father wouldn't allow her to be filmed.  And perhaps she required the father's permission to take the children out of state.

Then they should have gotten married IN the state where the kids were.  JMO.

• Love 3

The most ironic part of the whole 'Eloping' story was that she told it to make it seem ok that the kids weren't invited. But she would have been better off not saying anything about the kids being there or not being there. No one would have noticed. But by making up an excuse we all think she's a jerk for getting married without her kids. 

• Love 4
30 minutes ago, 3girlsforus said:

The most ironic part of the whole 'Eloping' story was that she told it to make it seem ok that the kids weren't invited. But she would have been better off not saying anything about the kids being there or not being there. No one would have noticed. But by making up an excuse we all think she's a jerk for getting married without her kids. 

That does sound wonky!!  I understand custody agreements, I was divorced with minor children.  It is too bad her ex was being odd about taking them out of state.  If so then get married IN that state.  Sounds like she had a vision for her wedding and there was not one single ceremony space in the whole state that matched it!

Saw the rerun of the Nevada Canyon wedding where they took a helicopter in:  Jasmine was the bride and those two as a couple: yuck.  I wanted to bathe!!  I could see her alley and valley and more than that, even!!!  I get the feeling if you went to their house it would be gaudy, all gold and tacky.  The poor young kids standing there looked like he was looking to escape this freakshow!

• Love 2

Something was super off about that particular storyline. I remember thinking how strained she looked trying to seem happy when talking about her kids not being there. I took the rare-for-me position not to judge her based on the little information we were given; it was clearly complicated and sad. 

• Love 2

It is too bad her ex was being odd about taking them out of state. 

1. We're all just speculating this is what happened.

2.  It's not odd at all, if they had a bitter custody dispute. Bride, according to her bio, lives in both Georgia and Florida. Kids probably have their primary residence with their father.  The custody order may specifically dictate when and how they can move between states, out of concern that one parent will try to keep them in that parent's home state and have that state's court change the custody order based on residence. It may have happened in the past...

• Love 1

I know this is OT but when they live out of state who transports the kids back & forth for custody?

I can't understand having a wedding w/o the kids there. They should be her closest & most special family members. I really don't see any excuse for it; find another venue.

I wonder if she had an affair with this guy or something & that's why; maybe the ex doesn't want them there... speculating too because it just seems odd especially for a mom.

• Love 1
1 minute ago, gonecrackers said:

I know this is OT but when they live out of state who transports the kids back & forth for custody?

I can't understand having a wedding w/o the kids there. They should be her closest & most special family members. I really don't see any excuse for it; find another venue.

I wonder if she had an affair with this guy or something & that's why; maybe the ex doesn't want them there... speculating too because it just seems odd especially for a mom.

My ex and I always lived in MN, he took them to Wisconsin for family reunions but did not need a court order or anything.  When parents are divorced and live in different states, the cost of who pays for airfare is usually determined in the decree.  My best guess:  Dad lives in Arizona, mom lives in Ohio, dad pays for airfare to AZ to visit.  

• Love 1
2 hours ago, gonecrackers said:

The cheapest airline . . . with "unaccompanied minor" tags on them.  I've seen it on airplanes more times than I can remember.

• Love 1

Just watched a rerun of the unicorn bride with her turquoise hair.  What a fricking brat!  And Randy was so sympathetic.  Sorree - I love Randy but he was so off base.  She goes on about how she's a woman and is going to wear what she wants to wear.  Then dissolves into tears like a big baby about how she hates the white dress that her mother chose for her, all but stamping her feet and throwing herself on the ground in a huge tantrum.  And who is paying for this?  I assume the mother.

• Love 5
4 hours ago, Christine said:

Just watched a rerun of the unicorn bride with her turquoise hair.  What a fricking brat!  And Randy was so sympathetic.  Sorree - I love Randy but he was so off base.  She goes on about how she's a woman and is going to wear what she wants to wear.  Then dissolves into tears like a big baby about how she hates the white dress that her mother chose for her, all but stamping her feet and throwing herself on the ground in a huge tantrum.  And who is paying for this?  I assume the mother.

Yes, indeed. Her mother simply wanted her to try on a white dress. She could have been a good sport and acknowledged her mother's wish to see her in a more traditional light while gently explaining to mom that she was going to do her own thing. The brat bride is too immature to get married.

• Love 3
2 hours ago, Showthyme said:

Yes, indeed. Her mother simply wanted her to try on a white dress. She could have been a good sport and acknowledged her mother's wish to see her in a more traditional light while gently explaining to mom that she was going to do her own thing. The brat bride is too immature to get married.

Yep I remember that one!!  If your mom simply asking you to try one one is all she wants, just do it and be done.  No one is forcing you to buy it.  Your mom has a vision of you in a white dress, just indulge her.  I think MANY women on this show are too immature to get married.  I put all brides who are dead set on "I want a dress with sleeves made with some lace and a train!"  then when trying on such a dress, ONE person in the entourage makes a comment and she is like, "Oh, I guess I don't like this style!!"  Just stick to your guns!!  It is YOUR dress, your day, not a picky friend who is pissed because you are getting married.  There is a reason I took ONE person with me to try on a dress.  

• Love 4

Am I imagining it, but are the British brides nicer to their mothers than the brides on the Kleinfeld show?  I don't see the mama drama as much on the British version, and it's nice.  I agree with the above comments.  Just try on the dress your mother wants, especially if she's paying for it.   

• Love 2
(edited)
4 hours ago, laredhead said:

Am I imagining it, but are the British brides nicer to their mothers than the brides on the Kleinfeld show?  I don't see the mama drama as much on the British version, and it's nice.  I agree with the above comments.  Just try on the dress your mother wants, especially if she's paying for it.   

No you are right on.  I am a native Minnesotan, known for Minnesota Nice, and I am surprised by the way some brides and bridal party talk to each other!!  If I had come out in a less than flattering dress, my party of one would have said, "Let's try another style."  NOT:  "Lordy girl!!  You look like you inhaled a McDonalds!"  I know some of it is trumped up but some of these people seem kinda mean spirited!

Remember the family member who said the bride to be looked like LINEBACKER?  Really??

Edited by Mrs. Hanson
  • Love 3

Maybe it's just me, but has anyone noticed that the U.K. brides don't seem as caught up in the "princess for a day" mentality. 

Is that because they have actual royalty? Maybe they look at it differently.

The dresses are much more reasonable. From what little I've seen, they don't seem to feel the need to go for broke in the quest for fairy princess perfection.

• Love 3
15 minutes ago, Hockeymom said:

Maybe it's just me, but has anyone noticed that the U.K. brides don't seem as caught up in the "princess for a day" mentality. 

Is that because they have actual royalty? Maybe they look at it differently.

The dresses are much more reasonable. From what little I've seen, they don't seem to feel the need to go for broke in the quest for fairy princess perfection.

I think you have a really good point!!  I don't hear a lot of needing to look like royalty from the UK version.  If a US bride came in and said "I want to look like Jackie Kennedy" I would understand but you want to look like a Disney character?  The movies where teapots, trees, and frogs talk?  Cartoons?

• Love 5
(edited)

The thing that irks me in the UK version is they are constantly pulling dresses, or allowing dresses to go on brides that are over their budget.  Then they even justify it, as in, they are really trying to find her the 'perfect' dress. The 'perfect' dress is one within her budget, I would say, but maybe that's just me. I would not be happy at all if someone put an over budget dress on me after I set the limit; it's rude & sales-slimy.

They're also pulling the same damn dresses, again, & most are very underwhelming if not completely unflattering. I'm also seeing too many Pnina's & we have enough of that crap here.

This version started out well enough to get my attention but is quickly sinking.

Edited by gonecrackers
  • Love 5
9 hours ago, gonecrackers said:

The thing that irks me in the UK version is they are constantly pulling dresses, or allowing dresses to go on brides that are over their budget.  Then they even justify it, as in, they are really trying to find her the 'perfect' dress. The 'perfect' dress is one within her budget, I would say, but maybe that's just me. I would not be happy at all if someone put an over budget dress on me after I set the limit; it's rude & sales-slimy.

I noticed that early on and it really bothers me.  If I were paying the bill, I'd complain to the manager about the bad situation it put me in. 

9 hours ago, gonecrackers said:

They're also pulling the same damn dresses, again, & most are very underwhelming if not completely unflattering. I'm also seeing too many Pnina's & we have enough of that crap here.

This version started out well enough to get my attention but is quickly sinking.

It started off great with different dresses, but, yeah, now it's the same thing over and over.

I wish the woman renewing her vows after 50 years had let her children chip in for the dress.  It looked lovely on her.  My favorite reaction, though, was from the bride who's grandmother was in the wheelchair.  I really liked the dress she chose and she was so happy.  I know they all are, so maybe it had to do with the fact that it wasn't a too tight mermaid style with her cleavage cinched up to her chin.  But, her reaction was so genuine that it made me smile, too. 

Confession:  I don't mind certain mermaid styles.  If the bride's figure is nice enough to wear it, if it fits well and not too tight, if the top part is just right and if it just fans out at the bottom instead of that tight seam below the knees then a dramatic poof, they can be really pretty, imo. 

• Love 4
On 21/07/2017 at 6:52 PM, gonecrackers said:

I found this episode really strange.  If you're an older person & knocked up, find a city hall & tie the knot.  Don't make a big production.  And who goes on TV with this story plus the kids not coming?  Something doesn't add up.

• Love 2
1 hour ago, Shannon L. said:

I wish the woman renewing her vows after 50 years had let her children chip in for the dress.  It looked lovely on her.  My favorite reaction, though, was from the bride who's grandmother was in the wheelchair.  I really liked the dress she chose and she was so happy.  I know they all are, so maybe it had to do with the fact that it wasn't a too tight mermaid style with her cleavage cinched up to her chin.  But, her reaction was so genuine that it made me smile, too. 

Confession:  I don't mind certain mermaid styles.  If the bride's figure is nice enough to wear it, if it fits well and not too tight, if the top part is just right and if it just fans out at the bottom instead of that tight seam below the knees then a dramatic poof, they can be really pretty, imo. 

I kind of wish she had as well; it would've probably been special for them to do that. Maybe they went back or somewhere else off camera & agreed. Those two had quite a story & I hope their vow renewal went well. I thought they were adorable together.

I remember the grandmother in the wheelchair but can't recall the dress the bride chose there; I think I was tuning out a lot.

I do recall a heavier set bride who chose a tighter dress with a dipping sweetheart neckline which was totally inappropriate for her. She had enormous boobs & cleavage everywhere; it's like most of her boobs were out of the dress & not in where they should have been. And of course she & everyone thought she looked awesome when really it was hideous & tacky. All anyone is going to see when they look at her on her wedding day, is boobs. Awful.

I do agree on a well fitting mermaid, but unfortunately most of them that I see are way too butt hugging. That's actually what they're looking for - to show off the bum. Really, why?? So while everyone looks up front to the bride & groom to witness their special moment it will be all eyes on - the bride's ass. Again, tacky.

• Love 5
11 hours ago, gonecrackers said:

recall a heavier set bride who chose a tighter dress with a dipping sweetheart neckline which was totally inappropriate for her. She had enormous boobs & cleavage everywhere; it's like most of her boobs were out of the dress & not in where they should have been. And of course she & everyone thought she looked awesome when really it was hideous & tacky. All anyone is going to see when they look at her on her wedding day, is boobs. Awful.

I do agree on a well fitting mermaid, but unfortunately most of them that I see are way too butt hugging. That's actually what they're looking for - to show off the bum. Really, why?? So while everyone looks up front to the bride & groom to witness their special moment it will be all eyes on - the bride's ass. Again, tacky.

I agree!  Sadly, too many people are going to remember the bride looking like a stuffed sausage.  Go get an empire style or even a fit and flare, work with folks who only want you to look your best and you will look so awesome!!!  Most people don't remember the dress anyway, sadly, this stuffed sausage bride's guests will remember her for looking like a sausage!

• Love 4
(edited)

That was a wardrobe malfunction waiting to happen with the boobs, & I was hoping she would ask them to specially raise it up for her. I saw that done in NY once, I think, where she had a dipping sweetheart neckline, & lots of boobs. But she did ask them to custom raise the front for her. When it was done there wasn't even much, if any, cleavage; just dress in front, & it wasn't up to her neck either. As I recall they did a great job & she ended up looking much nicer for it. She also looked comfortable & like she could move & dance without concerns.

I also agree that most people won't remember the dress, but they might just remember whether the bride looked tacky, oversexed, or elegant & classy. It's all in the impression they want to make, & too often they're choosing to make the wrong impression at the wrong time.

Edited by gonecrackers
  • Love 3
5 hours ago, Mrs. Hanson said:

Sadly, too many people are going to remember the bride looking like a stuffed sausage.

When I see people who look like that on this show, I'm hoping beyond hope that the end up ordering a size up and altering it to fit them properly. 

• Love 4
On 7/25/2017 at 10:43 AM, gonecrackers said:

That was a wardrobe malfunction waiting to happen with the boobs, & I was hoping she would ask them to specially raise it up for her. I saw that done in NY once, I think, where she had a dipping sweetheart neckline, & lots of boobs. But she did ask them to custom raise the front for her. When it was done there wasn't even much, if any, cleavage; just dress in front, & it wasn't up to her neck either. As I recall they did a great job & she ended up looking much nicer for it. She also looked comfortable & like she could move & dance without concerns.

I also agree that most people won't remember the dress, but they might just remember whether the bride looked tacky, oversexed, or elegant & classy. It's all in the impression they want to make, & too often they're choosing to make the wrong impression at the wrong time.

Yes, and I am honest enough to say it:  I bet people driving home from my wedding THAT VERY DAY will not be able to describe my dress.  "She looked lovely, she looked HAPPY and frankly we are happy she was not in hiking boots!" will be the descriptions!! LOL!  

• Love 4

I have been in, and gone to, so many weddings. These days, I'm attending the weddings of those couples' children!

I can honestly say the only dresses I remember were the disasters. Short - tight - see through - boobage - tacky,  Ugh!

The only groomsmen I remember were the ones wearing dirty sneakers or sports paraphernalia. 

There were many who looked beautiful and elegant. And yes, I agree with @Mrs. Hanson, the only thing I remembered was how happy and relaxed they looked! Because you can't look relaxed when one wrong move could be a disaster!

• Love 3
On ‎7‎/‎25‎/‎2017 at 5:39 AM, Mrs. Hanson said:

I agree!  Sadly, too many people are going to remember the bride looking like a stuffed sausage.  Go get an empire style or even a fit and flare, work with folks who only want you to look your best and you will look so awesome!!!  Most people don't remember the dress anyway, sadly, this stuffed sausage bride's guests will remember her for looking like a sausage!

I'm always surprised how many shorter, plus sized brides choose dresses with inadequate coverage and lots of horizontal patterns or seams.  I was always told horizontal lines make one appear shorter and broader, which is not what I am after, especially in a wedding gown.  On the UK version a few weeks back, there was a Sophia Tolli dress one of the women tried on that looked as if it were strips of various types of embellished white fabrics sewn together vertically.  (I can't remember if the woman who tried it on was plus sized or not).  I have scoured the internet trying to find a picture of it to show my engaged friend, who feels the same way I do about horizontal divisions.  However, I been unable to find it.  If anyone can find it, I would just be happy to show her such a dress exists, even if it does not come in her size.

@eyelash, you might go to Sophia Tolli's FB page, describe the dress and mention that it was on SYTTD UK. Maybe they'll respond with a pic of it and the name of the style. Then you can search to see if it is available somewhere.