Type keyword(s) to search

Say Yes To The Dress - General Discussion

• Start Topic

(edited)
6 hours ago, Kohola3 said:

Maybe wisdom comes with age.  Sticking to a budget is something that the brides we see on SYYTD don't seem to understand in the least.  I shudder to think about them stumbling through what will probably be short marriages and then parting as the debt grows out of control.  

Lovely story, lovely dress!

Thank you!  I tend to wonder if these brides, in their $6000 gowns will someday think:  "Hmmm, the water heater is busted, my car needs a repair and my child is really waiting to go to camp" will they regret that choice?  If mom and dad have the $$ go ahead it just seems like a waste to me.  

Excuse me while I shoo kids off my lawn now.....

Edited by Mrs. Hanson
  • Love 3

Most of us have to make choices with how we spend money.  I've had one cataract surgery, and will have the other in a couple of weeks.  The ophthamologist told me that Medicare would cover the standard replacement lenses, but if I wanted the upgraded lenses (so I wouldn't need to wear reading glasses), it would be an additional $1,500 per eye.  It took me 20 seconds to decide:  For $3,000, I could take a cruise.  And Wal-Mart sells reading glasses.  

Anything over $1,000 on a wedding gown is too much, unless your daddy's rich.

• Love 5
33 minutes ago, AZChristian said:

Most of us have to make choices with how we spend money.  I've had one cataract surgery, and will have the other in a couple of weeks.  The ophthamologist told me that Medicare would cover the standard replacement lenses, but if I wanted the upgraded lenses (so I wouldn't need to wear reading glasses), it would be an additional $1,500 per eye.  It took me 20 seconds to decide:  For $3,000, I could take a cruise.  And Wal-Mart sells reading glasses.  

Anything over $1,000 on a wedding gown is too much, unless your daddy's rich.

This exact situation happened to me, the "perfect" lenses would have been $2000 per eye. I made a choice.

When I got engaged in 2000, the first thing I did was go out and get a dress. It cost $499 and then $200 for alterations because I'm a shorty.  I gasp at the idea of spending even $1000 on a dress. It's just not necessary at all. Food, photos, maybe. But a dress you only wear once. Nope!

• Love 2
1 hour ago, cpcathy said:

It's just not necessary at all. Food, photos, maybe. But a dress you only wear once. Nope!

Exactly!  With my upcoming wedding will people remember my dress?  Maybe, but I know they will remember the short but sweet ceremony in an arboretum, excellent food, and laid back lunch reception with no cheesy/corny stuff.  (I am looking at you Dollar Dance, garter throwing, bridal bouquet toss, photo booth....sorry if I offending).  And the fact that I am not a bridezilla will help.  My soon to be hubby is 52 and getting married for the first time.....people will surely remember THAT!

• Love 3
On 5/15/2017 at 1:18 PM, islandgal140 said:

Legal wife in the polygamy plot - "I'm smiling as hard as I can."

That whole dynamic is a Snapped episode in the making. The only questions are who, when and how. 

That whole situation was really uncomfortable to watch and just....yuck.  Where do I begin?  Yucky creepy man, clearly depressed wife and second wife who can't get a date on her own.....YUCK!  Look, if people want to be polygamous, fine as long you were all raised that way.  But a man and woman who went into a marriage thinking, like most of us do, that it is just two of us....then to change gears?  Over an illness??  Not even a "Let's change religions, sweetie!" kind of deal!!

On 5/15/2017 at 10:22 PM, Former Nun said:

So Empire State Building Bride (ESBB),walks in off the street with no appointment, and sure got a lot of major attention.

She bugged.  Yes it was a set up, but I would hate to be portrayed as a girl who walks in with no appointment demanding to see a dress THEN gets the OWNER to help!!  Entitled, much?  "Hey you seem like a sweet gal....half off the price for you!!"  

On 5/14/2017 at 9:24 PM, Spunkygal said:

Goodness gracious NO! About 95% of the folks on FB mentioned it and I would have noticed it if I had not already read the comments here. Gross! How could you miss it? 

Shay.....Shay Shay please go away and find some Dove Care for Men to take with you.  If Randy has to dress up and all the ladies need to wear black w/only a hint of color, then YOU can put on a nice button up shirt and tie!  You were allegedly high fashion and couture.....prove it!

• Love 3
On 5/8/2017 at 8:42 AM, Shannon L. said:

You guys, my daughter is in high school now and this over the top spectacle for just one night stuff starts early now.  I don't know about the high schools where you live, but here "prom-posals" are a big thing.  Big and public, lots of time and even some money goes into it.  My daughter hasn't gotten one yet because sophomores aren't allowed to go to the prom, but she spent all day yesterday helping one of her male friends work on his prom-posal for his girlfriend (her best friend).  *sigh*  I blame these over the top wedding shows for this  :)  My husband, father in law and I told my daughter last night over dinner that in our day, we were either called on the phone or asked in the hallway near the lockers. 

When I was asked to prom back in 1983, it was over dinner....."Do you want to go to prom?"  Me:  "Okay!"  We went in a Honda Accord and had fun!  He is still a dear friend who is attending my upcoming (2nd) nuptials!)  He was at my first wedding, too!! LOL!

• Love 3

I think one of the things I enjoy about the UK version is the smaller budgets for so many of the brides, still more than I would spend but way less than we see on the NY version.

Ugh promposals...it gets worse. I teach 8th grade English and when we had our dance at the end of the year the kids insisted on calling it a formal and making outlandish posters and giving candy and balloons to ask each other to go. Each trying to top the other. Seriously I don't ever remember being asked but I was always dating someone and it was just assumed.

• Love 1
4 hours ago, cpcathy said:

This exact situation happened to me, the "perfect" lenses would have been $2000 per eye. I made a choice.

Since my friend had been wearing two different "focus" of contact lens for 30yrs, her doctor gave her the same outcome after cataract surgery.  She has one eye for close work and the other for driving.  She's happy.  I wouldn't do it but I didn't wear glasses until I needed reading glasses.

3 hours ago, twinkietwin94 said:

I think one of the things I enjoy about the UK version is the smaller budgets for so many of the brides, still more than I would spend but way less than we see on the NY version.

Ugh promposals...it gets worse. I teach 8th grade English and when we had our dance at the end of the year the kids insisted on calling it a formal and making outlandish posters and giving candy and balloons to ask each other to go. Each trying to top the other. Seriously I don't ever remember being asked but I was always dating someone and it was just assumed.

8th grade....yikes.  I taught in a middle school this past year (very small enrollment, no dances...sorry) but for Valentine's Day....ugh.  Huge ass teddy bears coming to school, bouquets of balloons, candy.....meanwhile no one had pencils or paper.  Again, ugh.    Coloe me happy my new assignment for fall is a K-6 school and I am only casing grades 5 and 6.  

• Love 2
2 minutes ago, Mrs. Hanson said:

8th grade....yikes.  I taught in a middle school this past year (very small enrollment, no dances...sorry) but for Valentine's Day....ugh.  Huge ass teddy bears coming to school, bouquets of balloons, candy.....meanwhile no one had pencils or paper.  Again, ugh.    Coloe me happy my new assignment for fall is a K-6 school and I am only casing grades 5 and 6.  

Oh yeah Valentine's was a nightmare with all the stuff. I had kids store things in my room so they wouldn't have to carry them around. Smh

What's sad is that we're teaching kids that unless an event is over the top and expensive, it's not worth addressing.  I love small, intimate weddings where everyone can sit and visit and enjoy good times since that's about the only joyful occasion where families gather, funerals being the non-joyful ones.  I remember those weddings much more than the Broadway productions these days.

And I've said it before, and I'll say it again. These bridezillas are substituting the wedding for the marriage.  The wedding is one single day, a few hours long.  It is a tiny fraction of the marriage that you will (hopefully) experience for the rest of your life.  The wedding day pales in comparison with the birth of a child, financial ups and downs, purchase of you first house, and illness and death.  And the dress means even less as life hits you full on.  Looking back I remember not one single thing about the details of the dresses of any of my relatives.  Not one.

• Love 8
2 minutes ago, twinkietwin94 said:

Oh yeah Valentine's was a nightmare with all the stuff. I had kids store things in my room so they wouldn't have to carry them around. Smh

Our population needed ZERO reason to be further off task than normal so our awesome Head of School was like....everything in the conference room until Dismissal!  

Back to proposals:  I have been proposed to twice:  first time:  his parents living room, no one was home.  Very low key.  Second time:  his own living room, very shocked, very low key.  (It had been 100 plus that day, I had been to my son's soccer game and frankly I know I had an odor.)  Both times I said yes....no over the top stuff needed for this girl!

1 minute ago, Kohola3 said:

And I've said it before, and I'll say it again. These bridezillas are substituting the wedding for the marriage.  The wedding is one single day, a few hours long.  It is a tiny fraction of the marriage that you will (hopefully) experience for the rest of your life.  The wedding day pales in comparison with the birth of a child, financial ups and downs, purchase of you first house, and illness and death.  And the dress means even less as life hits you full on.  Looking back I remember not one single thing about the details of the dresses of any of my relatives.  Not one

Me neither!  Heck I barely remember the details of my OWN dress from 1994!!!  And let's face it:  most people go to a ceremony wanting it to be NOT an hour long.  I have zero problem with an hour long Catholic or other religious ceremony as that is super personal and important to them, but hour long dramas with six poetry reading, five Bible reading, six hymns.....okay we get it!  You love each other!  Plus sand ceremonies, unity candles (why give nervous people flame?) etc.....

• Love 3

I think last night was a new episode, it had a moment that was in God awful make up and a hot pink lace dress showboating all over the poor daughter. I liked the dress the daughter chose. Her whole family seemed crazy, barbie mother and the goth/grunge sisters.

then there was fake ass shay. I don’t like him. His golf channel worker bride was beautiful, didn't like her dress I thought it looked like a nightgown. I did LOVE her venue, like WOW.

• Love 1
4 hours ago, carolinagirl81 said:

I think last night was a new episode, it had a moment that was in God awful make up and a hot pink lace dress showboating all over the poor daughter. I liked the dress the daughter chose. Her whole family seemed crazy, barbie mother and the goth/grunge sisters.

then there was fake ass shay. I don’t like him. His golf channel worker bride was beautiful, didn't like her dress I thought it looked like a nightgown. I did LOVE her venue, like WOW.

No, it was a rerun.

• Love 1

The bride on the British show last night - Fiona, I think - had the most doll-like eyes I've ever seen on an actual human being. I think part of it was that she had lined her lower rims with a ton of white liner. If you have very round eyes to begin with, maybe skip that?  I could not concentrate on anything else when she was onscreen. 

• Love 1

The NY one was a rerun but it reminded me of something I meant to comment on. When Randy works with brides there is also a female consultant. But Shay seems to be the one who dresses the bride. Maybe it's just me but that would bother me. I wouldn't want a man in the dressing room with me. 

• Love 7
3 hours ago, 3girlsforus said:

The NY one was a rerun but it reminded me of something I meant to comment on. When Randy works with brides there is also a female consultant. But Shay seems to be the one who dresses the bride. Maybe it's just me but that would bother me. I wouldn't want a man in the dressing room with me. 

I think the difference is that Randy's job is not as a consultant to the bride herself, but as a consultant to the consultants. Whereas Shay is just a consultant. But I agree, I think some brides would not be comfortable being alone in the dressing room with a male consultant. Then again, these are brides who agree to have a whole camera crew in the dressing room with them. 

Loving the UK version. So many dresses and different styles and a nice variety of brides and no BS fake drama.

Why are the dresses so much more reasonably price in the UK? Still expensive but I'm not seeing much of anything over $4-5k. Funny because telling a Kleinfeld associate you only have about $2k to spend and they act like the only thing they have that cheap comes with a twist tie and the word Hefty on the side. 

It was interesting seeing the Cinderella bride wanting a ball gown with no tulle or organza. Seems like they don't have a lot of ball gowns with silk/satin skirts.

8 hours ago, islandgal140 said:

Seems like they don't have a lot of ball gowns with silk/satin skirts.

I'd think a ball gown with satin skirt would weigh quite a bit.  That's a hefty fabric.

• Love 2

The British bride who wanted a Cinderella gown w/o tulle was one of those women who is never going to find a gown ready made.  She needs to find a seamstress and have her gown custom made.  I love tulle and think it looks beautiful as a full skirt, but I guess there are some who do not like it. 

1 hour ago, laredhead said:

The British bride who wanted a Cinderella gown w/o tulle was one of those women who is never going to find a gown ready made.  She needs to find a seamstress and have her gown custom made.  I love tulle and think it looks beautiful as a full skirt, but I guess there are some who do not like it. 

I love tulle too and I also love lace but I also get that many people find lace old fashioned.  It is funny as I was all "I want lace!!  I want sleeves!!!" then I buy a dress with neither!!  But can add sleeves and I guess lace was negotiable!!

On 6/25/2017 at 11:07 AM, carolinagirl81 said:

I loved the goth sisters - they were in hardcore rebellion to their really over-the-top Mom, and the bride was obviously the "caught in the middle" child who still wants her Mom's approval.  I'm all for looking however you want to look, but she was so completely blind to how much she embarrasses her daughters.

• Love 3

And I've said it before, and I'll say it again. These bridezillas are substituting the wedding for the marriage.

I remember some family friends where the daughter was getting married back in the 60s.  It wasn't a term then, but she truly was a bridezilla.  The wedding was completely over the top.  In those days most weddings were cake and punch affairs (unless you were super rich, which they weren't), but they had a large reception with a multi-course dinner, full band, several singers, etc.  I can remember people talking about how demanding and unreasonable the bride was being (but her parents went along with it).  Well, they got married, went on a two week honeymoon and on the way home from the honeymoon the groom dropped her off at her parents' house.  He said it was the most miserable two weeks of his life.  The marriage was annulled.

• Love 12
8 minutes ago, camom said:

I remember some family friends where the daughter was getting married back in the 60s.  It wasn't a term then, but she truly was a bridezilla.  The wedding was completely over the top.  In those days most weddings were cake and punch affairs (unless you were super rich, which they weren't), but they had a large reception with a multi-course dinner, full band, several singers, etc.  I can remember people talking about how demanding and unreasonable the bride was being (but her parents went along with it).  Well, they got married, went on a two week honeymoon and on the way home from the honeymoon the groom dropped her off at her parents' house.  He said it was the most miserable two weeks of his life.  The marriage was annulled.

This just feeds into my belief that so many moms seem to be "No one is good enough for MY son" while dads don't see be all that "No one can take of MY little girl!!"  Maybe the dad is like, "Hey....YOU can have her drama, her moods, her bills.....go ahead!!!"  LOL!

On 6/25/2017 at 2:49 PM, shipmate said:

Pnina Tornai dresses invaded the UK edition.  Even though they were not stripper fairy dresses, NO NO NO!  Stay in NY, Pnina!!

Pnina Tonai dresses look like a Harlequin Romance Novel vomited onto 1985.

• Love 12
(edited)

I thought Pnina Tornai gowns were exclusive to Kleinfeld's, but on the UK version I watched last night (not sure if it was new or a rerun, they all tend to blur in my mind) David Emanuel's shop was offering some Pninas. 

edited to add, never mind, I see that I missed the Pnina Invasion

Edited by magemaud
On 6/23/2017 at 6:18 AM, Mrs. Hanson said:

Thank you so much!  It is a low key gathering.  We are both 52 but truthfully, had we gotten married when we were both 26 I bet our wedding would have been the same as it will be in the fall.  Keeping this in the dress topic, my dress was $350!  I bought it at a Bridal Consignment shop....it is very simple and pretty, no "bling" (Gosh I hate that word) no belt, no drama.  Just a nice ivory dress and yes I am adding sleeves!

Another peeve of mine and yes I know it is for drama"  Bride:  My budget is $2000, firm.  Entourage: "Let's pull a $6000 dress for fun!!!"  No, let's not.  Are you chipping in?  

I am VERY budget minded.  If i said, Look my budget is $500 (at me Bridal Consignment store!) I would NOT want someone saying well look, I will pitch in $2000!  My feeling would be, let's pay off a bill or two with that $2000.  Thank you you for thinking of me but it is OUTSIDE OF MY VALUE SYSTEM TO PAY $2000 FOR A DRESS.

Here I am in my "budget" dress! Edited to add:  Sorry it is so huge!!  If I could make it smaller I would!!!!  Take THAT Kleinfelds!!  It was from a Bridal Consignment store, yes but it was new with tags.

Congratulations! The dress is lovely and so are you. ;-) I hope you and your love will have a lifetime of happiness!

• Love 3
On 6/26/2017 at 0:49 PM, cpcathy said:

I've decided I adore the British version and I want David Emmanuel to be my best friend.

Me too. 

He and his ex wife had the daunting task of making Diana's wedding dress. That dress was the center of attention in the most watched wedding. However one feels about the dress, he must have a sense of pride.  

• Love 3

I always thought they did a wonderful job on Diana's dress. It was the eighties, so yes, it was big and bold but it was so beautiful and she looked beautiful in it.

• Love 5

So I am watching the UK edition and looking at all the pretty dresses when I see one with a back that looks like a longline bra. Not just like lingerie, but like extremely ugly lingerie. Surprise! It's a Pnina?. Then a bride tries on a gorgeous gown with illusion lace straps but ditches it for a crappy strapless that looks horrible because she frankly doesn't have the cleavage for it, which you can tell because she has to keep hiking it up every few seconds, and once again, it is a way overpriced Pnina. I think my show is ruined.

• Love 2
(edited)

Blogger with out a job or whoever..OMG the vocal fry and the affectation- everything that is wrong with young people today. I call shennanigans- why would the sample size of the dress she picked be able to be zipped up all the way on her? She was huge with giant breasts and this dress fit her like a glove- they had it zipped all the way up. It was  the actual dress was  already  custom made for her --and they whipped it out at the end. There is no way she is a sample size. I watched it again they clipped 2 little pins on the back-- this was for show- it was custom fit to her body. Anyway we are not that stupid. She was probably going in for her fitting and begged to be on for publicity.

Anyway she was HORRIBLE and what a contrast to the sweet woman in Lousiana. 

Edited by Bellalisa
  • Love 3
12 hours ago, Bellalisa said:

Blogger with out a job or whoever..OMG the vocal fry and the affectation- everything that is wrong with young people today. I call shennanigans- why would the sample size of the dress she picked be able to be zipped up all the way on her? She was huge with giant breasts and this dress fit her like a glove- they had it zipped all the way up. It was  the actual dress was  already  custom made for her --and they whipped it out at the end. There is no way she is a sample size. I watched it again they clipped 2 little pins on the back-- this was for show- it was custom fit to her body. Anyway we are not that stupid. She was probably going in for her fitting and begged to be on for publicity.

Blogger without a job.....run!  She was, to me, the worst kind of girl:  The Girl Who Thinks She is Funny But is Not.  I could not take her and had to switch the channel.  Did not care if she ever got a dress or not!  

• Love 3
On 7/4/2017 at 0:31 AM, Psychobunny said:

So I am watching the UK edition and looking at all the pretty dresses when I see one with a back that looks like a longline bra. Not just like lingerie, but like extremely ugly lingerie. Surprise! It's a Pnina?. Then a bride tries on a gorgeous gown with illusion lace straps but ditches it for a crappy strapless that looks horrible because she frankly doesn't have the cleavage for it, which you can tell because she has to keep hiking it up every few seconds, and once again, it is a way overpriced Pnina. I think my show is ruined.

You just summed up what I dislike (well one of many things!!  LOL) about this new sheer look!  You look like you are wearing a longline bra or see through corset with a skirt.  And it ain't pretty!  You look like you are in your underwear, it looks like a wedding night ensemble, not a dress.  Forget if it is a church ceremony or not, it is not correct to be half naked on your wedding day.

• Love 4
19 hours ago, Quof said:

Baring your titties before Jesus and your Grampie. 

No kidding!!  Grandpa does not see to the gifts that God gave you.  No one else in the church needs to nor wants to either.  Heck, my fiance and I need to rehearse our first kiss as husband and wife!!  Keeping it PG rated!  (My two sons are my attendants so it may be more G than P!)

On 6/26/2017 at 11:49 AM, cpcathy said:

I've decided I adore the British version and I want David Emmanuel to be my best friend.

Me too!  He is such a sweetie!!  Then again I love Randy and yes I love Monte, too.

• Love 2

I love all the guys except "Shay, Shay, go away!" But I want to be David's BFF and sit in the garden sipping champagne or gin and tonics with him while gossiping about everyone! 

• Love 4
(edited)

I have been reading about all the brides and think I missed one ..she was the ministers daughter, very nice family and she seemed so sweet, but they kept putting her in those horrible strapless dresses, her bust was way to big for those and they kept saying OH it is stunning...NO it was not stunning I felt bad for her

hello all...I have to say this show use to be so great, all the dresses I could never afford ...(we drove from Canada) to Virginia City Nevada for our wedding...

..SHOW me the dresses and NO MORE of that horrid designer Pina... or the dress that looks like it has fans on it...ENOUGH PLEASE ... :)

Edited by Cookiemonster
  • Love 1
On 7/4/2017 at 4:54 AM, Bellalisa said:

I watched it again they clipped 2 little pins on the back-- this was for show- it was custom fit to her body. Anyway we are not that stupid. She was probably going in for her fitting and begged to be on for publicity.

I thought the dress looked awful on her. It didn't flatter her figure, the long sleeves were TOO long, it just was not all that. Then again, I spent most of that episode marveling at the contrast between her and the woman from Louisiana who was in the midst of cleanup from a flood that her family wasn't insured against. 

I have to wonder what "girl without a job" had to say when she saw that those who produce and edit SYTTD didn't have to work especially hard to make her look like an entitled, spoiled, shallow idiot on national TV.

• Love 2

I have the book that David wrote about making Diana's dress.  They put a lot of thought into it and went to great lengths to keep everything secret.

• Love 1