Type keyword(s) to search

S05.E03: Mommy

• Start Topic

I would have liked more James March and Ms.Evers they were missed.

Alex seeing Holden was good but the rest of the Lowe family drama was boring.

I liked James reaction when Tristan went to give him a high-five.

So last year Finn thought Twisty and the killing was cool now he thinks Mr.March and killing is fun. 

“Don’t haunt my hallways, bitch" that was a great line.

Liz Taylor is fun though.

Iris the vampire?

Edited by ShadowHunter
  • Love 2

Finn is being weirdly type casted as a serial killer fanboy. 

Just about every era since the 20s seemed to be getting flashbacks this season. 

Looking forward to the next episode. It looks delightfully bizarre. 

• Love 2

Now the story's are being told and I like that. Alex seeing Holden was heartbreaking especially after watching the back story.

So glad to see Angela Bassett back. She's such a good actress.

I still don't know what some of these people are; vampires, ghosts, blood sucking monsters. I'm not going to try to analyze it too much , I've learned with this show to just sit back, watch and be entertained.

• Love 4

Angela Bassett to the rescue! That Diana Ross hair is to die for. So to speak. And they got the look of her films just right. Somewhere, Courtney Vance is just strutting Shaft-Style down the sidewalk going "fuck you, and fuck you, and fuck you, 'cause I'm married to Angela Bassett!"

Kathy Bates did such a marvelous job with her monologue about how she just doesn't get the joke and is tired of being one. You really got the Mildred Pierce feel of a woman who's devoted to a callow, evil child and never grasps the depth of his disdain for her. She really thinks that loving somebody will somehow convince them to love you back. And Sarah Paulsen sporting her Courtney Love fashions is always fun.

Glad they didn't drag out the whole "Alex sees Holden" thing too. But fuck, man, whatshisname, the husband/cop? That man is the God-Emperor of bad timing. Of all the times to bring up another baby, guy, that? was not the time. 

So, what's the deal with the vamps Vs. the bed people, here? As far as I can tell Elizabeth either tolerates them or doesn't know they're around and Sally seems to be kind of in charge of making them. What is her unfinished business? 

And once again, I must bring up Ryan Murphy's obsession with bad/incestuous mother and son relationships because he will not drop that motif for more than thirty seconds at a time. Chloe did a fabulous job with her scenes recalling how completed and fulfilled she felt by her son, more than her husband, but that plus Lila and Holden plus Murphy's entire oeuvre in this particular hang up is really getting creepy.

• Love 7

Once again, Angela Bassett just makes everything better. It's starting to look like this season will actually be one of the good ones. I actually like several characters!

Really thought Alex was going to wind up dead in this one. Chloe Sevigny's character in Asylum had a terrifying and tragic arc, so I'm really rooting for her to make it this time around. And to be honest, if anyone is going to get a happy ending this season (which is far from certain) it should be the Lowe family, since literally everyone else is either dead or a vampire.

• Love 5

Yay for Angela Bassett coming back! Loved seeing her channel Pam Grier. Her characters are always so badass and fun to watch. Alex was pretty interesting this episode as well. I've never been a big fan of Chloe, but she's doing a great job with the character and conveying the heartbreak she's experiencing from Holden's disappearance. Plus, an actual story is unfolding in this confusing maze of characters.

The countess is starting to get on my nerves. I feel like her accent keeps changing, and to me there's just nothing likable about her yet. I hope we get some backstory that reveals more about her before she became a bloodsucker. Donovan grates, too. Loved Liz Taylor setting him straight about his mom!

Sally, on the other hand, is just so tragic and I can't help but feel for the character, with her crimped hair and perma-leaky eyes. The scene where Bentley's character said he wanted to help her was so sweet. I like his character (even though I always forget his name) and I hope the hotel doesn't swallow him up.

Edited by obxchick
  • Love 7

Ok we are only on episode 3 but Hotel is soooo soooo sooo much better the Coven and Freak Show. I am loving it. It has taken what made Murder House and Asylum work.

I am loving Kathy Bates in this and she has done nothing for me before but her scenes with both Bomer and Paulson were great.

I am loving Evan Peters in this as well. He hasn't had a decent roll since Asylum and now he has as one of the better ones on the show. He is chewing up the scenery in all the best ways. I am loving Mr. March.

I am not sure what to make of Sally yet and the relationship with her and the Detective. I found the scene in the elevator incredibly well done but I am not sure where if anywhere it is heading. I hope it is going somewhere because they have chemistry and I would love to see those crazy kids work it out.

Alex is soooo not walking out of that Hotel is she?

Edited by Chaos Theory
  • Love 4

Poor Scarlett. Her mother loves her brother more (definitely believe), her father loves her mother more (could've just been grief talking). At least out of everyone in the Lowe family I think she has the best shot at surviving.

Name-dropping Laurence Harvey could be a hint that Liz's decade was the 50s or 60s - but then it may just be that Harvey worked with Liz Taylor. Out of all the backstories, I'm most eager for Liz's - the Countess' will probably be more dramatic, but I'm not nearly as invested in her storyline (and certainly not in her survival).

So based on previous changelings, can we expect a wardrobe upgrade for Iris? Pretty please?

We got some interesting backstories this episode, but not much actually happened. I'm enjoying this season but I do hope we pick up the pace a bit.

• Love 8

Y0DbykO.gif

Angela gave me everlasting LIFE last night you hear me. Again I ask why did Ryan not make her The Countess ?  I was so mad when her boo was killed so my thirsty ass stalked around and found his Instagram page .  https://instagram.com/sirjenks96/

So any theories on the 10C killer ? I'm kinda leaning towards John. Maybe i'm wrong but he's already had multiple scenes where he "comes to" and has no idea whats going on. There could be a lapse in time during each one of these occurrences where his other personality takes over or something.

The only thing that doesn't fit with my theory is the text he received from Alex. Hopefully they dive further into that whole scenario.

Next week looks fantastic. The Halloween episodes are my favorites. So Do we know who were all the killers at The Devils Night.  John Wayne Gacy for sure, but other than Mr March I didn't know who the others were ? And Lily Rabe next week !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Love 8

If I remember correctly Murder House had a lot of backstory as well. It happens when you have a house that murders people for over a century.

I am thinking that Detective John Lowe and his wife Alex might be the new Harmons. The troubled family on the brink of divorce who find themselves literally battling evil while being engulfed by their own worst instincts.

• Love 2

Yes finally Angela Bassett. I loved that her montage of not Foxy Brown.

That scene with Donovan and Iris made me sad.

In the scene with the Detective and Sally in the elevator, was that blood already on his shirt?

Donovan feeding off an addict on Skid Row was interesting.

I was so mad when her boo was killed so my thirsty ass stalked around and found his Instagram page . https://instagram.com/sirjenks96/

Damn. Edited by Chrissytd
  • Love 1

I was at a bar watching American Horror Story and every time it cut to Chloe/Wes Bentley together, someone would yell, "And back to the storyline nobody cares about."

And when they cut to Angela Bassett's character in the music studio, my first thought was, "And now we're suddenly on Empire."

Edited by BloggerAloud
  • Love 2

I still don't know what some of these people are; vampires, ghosts, blood sucking monsters. I'm not going to try to analyze it too much , I've learned with this show to just sit back, watch and be entertained.

American Horror Story...convoluted storytelling at it's finest. True Detective...how do you like them apples?

• Love 3

Loved Angela Basset sooo much.Her decades long revenge scheme. Shit, missed it by a week.

"She dumped me last Tuesday."

"YOU CAN GO"

Lulz.

Mr. March is definitely my favorite character this season.  It's like Evan Peters is channeling Leonardo DiCaprio in The Great Gatsby.  Only ya know, homicidal.

And now we have VampIris.  I can't wait for next week!

Edited by peacheslatour
  • Love 7

Tristan:  "I googled you"

March:  "That sounds obscene"

Evan Peters' delivery was everything.  I probably rewound that scene five times

I'm a Scorpio.  So according to Tristan, I'm a psychopath?

I loved Angela's blacksploitation movie scene, but then it devolved to a huge exposition dump.  Less telling, more showing please.  So she plans revenge for four decades, then she simply takes Donovan's word that he's been dumped, and off he goes?

Next week looks fantastic. The Halloween episodes are my favorites. So Do we know who were all the killers at The Devils Night.  John Wayne Gacy for sure, but other than Mr March I didn't know who the others were ? And Lily Rabe next week !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Was that supposed to be Gacy?  He was much fatter, and he didn't dress up as a clown to kill.  He did perform as a clown at times and painted many self-portraits of himself that way.  I remember after his execution, his paintings were sold at auction.  People booed the man with the highest bid, but he actually destroyed the paintings.

• Love 3

Evan Peters is killing it (pun intended) as James March! He's great!

He really is.  I actually didn't think he had it in him.  I commented on how great he was while watching and my son didn't even know it was him until I said it.  He was impressed and as a surly teenager that doesn't happen often.

Agree with the entire viewership that Angela Basset rules.

As a person that isn't into Lady Gaga,I just see what is forced in front of me where she is concerned I as loving her.  She's amazing in this, at times she's (going to sound mean and rude) not attractive in the least then she transform before my eyes into a amazingly beautiful woman.  Either way she commands attention,oozes charisma.  I read somewhere how she researched the hell out of vampire lore and worked closely with the costumer about her wardrobe,bringing in personal items for the role.  She's so odd it is hard for me to tell if she is a great actress though, kinda like judging Courtney Love in People VS Larry Flynt.  How much is acting and how much is just keeping it real?

Betting Alex will ask Holden to turn her so she can be with him again.

• Love 5

I didn't know what to make of the first two episodes, but this one seemed pretty good.  It seems like things are starting to gel.  Initially only a handful of characters held any interest for me, but I found a lot more of them interesting this episode.  The countess isn't my cup of tea, Will Drake doesn't really interest me much, and I can take or leave Tristan, but they seem to be serving their purpose.   

My only real gripe at this point is that there are so many characters with ongoing storylines that only a few short minutes could be given to each.  And, I hate gratuitous gore (the tongues being nailed down, eww), but that's Ryan Murphy for you.

• Love 1

I haven't been so eager for a new episode each week since Asylum.  Everyone, including Lady Gaga, is right on point as far as I'm concerned, and Angela Basset's entry this week just made it even better.  

• Love 2

The first half of the episode seemed like Ryan Murphy's fantasies come to life: a parade of interchangeable thin young men strutting down hallways and in hotel rooms. There are still too many characters and too many story lines. I actually like the police detective story because so much crazy needs at least one real person. Gaga continues to look like she is making a music video. Love Kathy Bates and Angela Bassett and Bates character made me sad. It does seem sometime like mothers sacrifice for their kids even if they get zero back. 

Chloe Sevigny always looks the same to me in every show or movie; mopey and petulant. I like Evan Peters but his character seems terribly affected (like the rest).

I noticed Jeffrey Dahmer and possibly Gacy in the upcoming group.

• Love 1

Y0DbykO.gif

Angela gave me everlasting LIFE last night you hear me. Again I ask why did Ryan not make her The Countess ?  I was so mad when her boo was killed so my thirsty ass stalked around and found his Instagram page .  https://instagram.com/sirjenks96/

So any theories on the 10C killer ? I'm kinda leaning towards John. Maybe i'm wrong but he's already had multiple scenes where he "comes to" and has no idea whats going on. There could be a lapse in time during each one of these occurrences where his other personality takes over or something.

The only thing that doesn't fit with my theory is the text he received from Alex. Hopefully they dive further into that whole scenario.

Lily Rabe is going to be Aileen Wournos (the serial killer played by Charlize Theron in Monster).

DAMN, Angela Bassett. She rocked love scenes with BOTH sexes in this episode, never mind the fact that the partners were a good three decades younger (and I say that with nothing but admiration and awe).

• Love 5

Angela Bassett is such a good actress! When she first appeared on the screen I just literally yelled "yes!" because the real star of the show has arrived. Her hair makeup and clothes are so on-point and love her character being a blaxploitation star who kills bad guys with machine guns and daggers hidden in her Afro.

Glad Naomi Campbell was killed by the mattress monster. Her character was so pointless and annoying.

Gaga looks fabulous in the different eras, especially the 1990s with her Sharon Stone in "Basic Instinct" styling.

• Love 3

Lily Rabe is going to be Aileen Wournos (the serial killer played by Charlize Theron in Monster).

DAMN, Angela Bassett. She rocked love scenes with BOTH sexes in this episode, never mind the fact that the partners were a good three decades younger (and I say that with nothing but admiration and awe).

Oh wow Lily is going to rock the hell out of that. 

• Love 1

I'm confused about Gabriel, the mattress man.  Was he alive this whole time?  I thought Sally had killed him and put his ghost (that doesn't seem like the right word, but I don't know what else to call it) in the mattress.  Sort of like an eternal hell for him.  If he was alive, did he then die in the hospital? Of course, I could be trying think logically which I should know better than to do with this show.  

I just can't get into the Lady Gaga character.  I keep seeing Lady Gaga instead of the Countess. But other than that I am loving this season.  

• Love 4

Totally agree this season so far is head and shoulders above Coven or (cringe) Freakshow.  

I thought it was weird that after being in a decades long loving relationship with Gaga, Angela was willing to throw her over the instant she saw Mo.  I loved that scene when Gaga blew his head off and I LOVED Angela's narration.  

• Love 1

Gaga looks incredible in this series, however her acting falls flat for me.  She's just sort of "meh."   I like how she looks otherworldly though.

Angela Bassett is still gorgeous.   Love that she's my age and I can aspire to be so bad ass and make out with people decades younger. (Hey. It's MY fantasy OK?)

Again too many storylines for my feeble brain to follow.  

I am confused as well on the mattress man.  Didn't Sally kill him ?  Why did he die again in the hospital ?  WTF?

• Love 1

Ryan Murphy, all is forgiven now that you've shown me Angela Bassett playing a Cleopatra Jones-style character who kills a guy with a throwing knife pulled out of her afro! I want to watch that whole movie!

This was EVERYTHING!!!
  • Love 4

Loved this episode. The way they introduced Ramona was absolutely hysterical and the flashbacks with her and the Countess were brilliant along with the way she strong armed Donovan in this one too.

I feel bad for Will. He's like a cornered mouse and if the Countess doesn't kill him, Tristan definitely will give it a shot though.

March's reactions to Tristan were fantastic in this episode as well. We do need a little more of him.

Nice that Alex spotted Holden in the hotel but she's still a bit too much of a cold fish for me. John and Scarlett would be better without her I think.

Sally helping Iris to kill herself was the most interesting thing she's done so far. Donovan turning her into a vampire, I didn't see coming.

I'm still not greatly enthused by the other killers though but Liz Taylor is growing on me. 8/10

When Gabriel (mattress guy) came to, he said something to the affect of she said I had to do it, I thought it was that strung out bitch. My interpretation was that he was killed, but Sally told him that he could come back to life if he killed someone. So that happened but maybe he ended up dying anyway because of the drugs in his system--or even lack of drugs, which the EMTs/doctors seemed to say. But it's entirely likely that I completely misinterpreted that. However, it seems like you get to stick around the Cortez after death in two different ways: drink vampire blood or go into the mattress and kill the next person who lays on it. Oh, wait, I guess you only need to die there in the case of Mr. March, Miss Evers, and Sally. I don't know. This is confusing. I guess Donovan didn't necessarily need to turn his mother to a vampire because she just could have been like Sally. Well, despite the "rules" of the hotel being a bit confusing, I have to say that I really liked this episode and now I'm completely in! As someone else has already commented, it's already better than Coven and about equal with Freak Show. I don't know whether anything will ever match Murder House and Asylum, but Hotel has potential, which I definitely didn't see in episode 1. Now I get why they made those first two episodes so damn long. If we went with a typical runtime, this would have been episode 5 by now, and I don't think I would have stuck it out.

So these vampires(?) can be killed with a shot to the head??  So much for being immortal.....

I'm loving the flash back scenes. 

And now I think I'm missing the ending of this episode..... my DVR stopped it about 1:10.... which is exactly what it did during the first episode! grrrrrr

• Love 1

So these vampires(?) can be killed with a shot to the head?? So much for being immortal.....

They actually did foreshadow/address that last week. When the countess turned Trisan he was asking whether they could be killed with a silver bullet and she said we're eternally young, not immortal. So, yes, they can be killed just like any regular person. Hmm. The Countess was around before the MMR vaccine. Maybe she's going to end up dying from the measles from one of the blood farm kids. Otherwise I don't understand that whole storyline.

Edited by JenE4
  • Love 2

I'm finding the season a bit uneven so far- some very great performances by some of the actors, and a (very few) interesting storylines.  No discredit to Gaga as I don't think that she's doing that horrible a job, but well-dressed, fairly stupid vampire has been done to death.  And despite Murphy's 'they're not vampires, they've got a blood addiction' insistence, if it walks like a vampire and kills like a vampire and doesn't in any way stray from the vampire myth, they're vampires.  Especially now that Angela's on the scene, it's hard to believe that she wouldn't have been killed off long ago.  Great costumes though. 

Loving Matt Bomer, and Evan Peters (for a change).  I'm always laughing when they're onscreen.  Liz Taylor (Dennis) is just wonderful, and as usual Kathy Bates is killing everything.  Finn Wittrock is just fantastic, and while I'm not usually a Chloe fan in the series, I think that she's one of the most interesting characters this season. Having been in a few grief groups over the decades,  I think that she's nailing her character.  They could stop dressing her up as Nicky from Big Love though. 

• Love 3

Let's play a game called Alive, Dead or Eternal

Alive

John

Alex  (her hair makes me think of 70's movies)

Scarlett

Will

Will's Kid

Dead

Liz Taylor

Hypo Sally

March

Miss Evers

Eternal

Gaga

Cleopatra Jones

Donovan

Tristan

Kids

Iris

• Love 4

I am NOT a fan of Finn Witrock as an actor and I find RM and team have type cast him as one of the most annoying beasts on the planet -- the petulant, spoiled man baby.  Sigh.

However, that said, I'm enjoying this role he's in and I think he's doing a great job this time around.

As for Chloe Sevigny -- I saw her for the first time in a binge-watch of a strange little UK show called Hit or Miss.  She was really striking in that but, here, in Hotel, she's just frumpy and kind of awful.  I just don't understand the character or her performance.  There is something not connecting between the actress and the character for me that is a little bit grating.  I can't quite put my finger on it but when I figure it out, I'll try to put it into words.  The actress just isn't selling me on the character and, tell ya what, the wardrobe selections for the character aren't helping.

• Love 2

So these vampires(?) can be killed with a shot to the head??  So much for being immortal.....

To be fair, having one's brain blown out the back of one's head is probably effectively decapitation, and that does vampires in throughout much of the mythology.

• Love 1

I don't usually comment on the ahs boards (hi all!) but I'm unexpectedly enjoying this season so much I wanted to join in! (probably because I like the 'innocent normals get dragged into weirdness'contrast of characters that Freakshow kind of lacked, so this seems more a return to murder house and asylum, my favourites)

Tristan: "I googled you"

March: "That sounds obscene"

Evan Peters' delivery was everything. I probably rewound that scene five times

That exchange was just delicious- I'm glad Evan Peters has a different type of role and he's revelling in it. I also yelled out loud when I recognised David Naughton- 'American Werewolf' is one of my all time horror favourites & I'd been totally unspoiled for him being in this. No idea if that was a one off cameo appearance from him but if they *do* bring him back as a hotel ghost I would love them forever if they cast Griffin Dunne as his undead boyfriend...

• Love 3

And now I think I'm missing the ending of this episode..... my DVR stopped it about 1:10.... which is exactly what it did during the first episode! grrrrrr

Same here !  So annoying, isn't it ? 

Can someone fill us in on the last 15 (?) Min or so? 

• Love 1
Not all Scorpios are like that. Most . . . not all.

I'll have you know I'm perfectly lovely person! Now hop in this van, I have candy. Mind the shovel.

But it's entirely likely that I completely misinterpreted that. However, it seems like you get to stick around the Cortez after death in two different ways: drink vampire blood or go into the mattress and kill the next person who lays on it. Oh, wait, I guess you only need to die there in the case of

Mr. March, Miss Evers, and Sally. I don't know. This is confusing.

Welcome to MurphyLand! There are two exits and they're not marked! Ditto the bathrooms.

When Sally was preparing to "help" Iris from this cruel cruel world via hotshot, she did specifically ask if she had any unfinished business. "Don't haunt my halls, bitch." So apparently the ghosts of the Cortez are your basic "can't move on" types, which leads me to wonder what Sally's unfinished business is--why does it involve killing drug addicts via Rapey Misshapen Ghoul With Drildo and sewing them into mattresses? And does the Countess know anything about it? Or March? There seem to be three different layers to the hotel: The Vamp Layer, The Ghoul Layer, and The Ghost Layer.

• Love 8

I like Chloe Sevigny in general, though I've been having a bit of a problem with her on this season as she just doesn't seem to FIT... until my boyfriend pointed out that her character and her storyline seem very noir. Perhaps we're giving too much credit, but I think he may be onto something. Her hairstyles (especially that elaborate twisty updo) have been pretty 30's-40's, and her husband is a detective so they feel like time displaced film noir characters.

Her monologue voice over is what really cemented it for me.

• Love 8