Type keyword(s) to search

S05.E03: Mommy

• Start Topic

Same here !  So annoying, isn't it ? 

Can someone fill us in on the last 15 (?) Min or so? 

Very!!  Now i'll have to find the next air date and record it again just to fast forward through most of it lol

I know sometimes i don't pay attention enough as i should during the episodes but i try to not do anything else during them so i don't miss details but i'm like "huh? Iris is a vampire now??"  lol

• Love 1

I think the Angela Basset characters points out what is wrong with Lady Gaga's.

Angela shows how immortality sucks when the love of your life is wrenched away from you, her sense of loss and anger is palpable. She looks as fabulous as Gaga yet her characters looks like a breathing glorious mess of a person, as opposed to a sleek music video.

Edited by caracas1914
  • Love 5

There seem to be three different layers to the hotel: The Vamp Layer, The Ghoul Layer, and The Ghost Layer.

If this is the case, then they must at least be aware of each other thus, Tristan and Mr. March.  Plus is Liz Taylor a ghost?  Because she knew Iris when Iris was still human/alive and now she's a Vamp.  Will they still know each other? So confusing.  *sigh*

/But I love it!

That exchange was just delicious- I'm glad Evan Peters has a different type of role and he's revelling in it. I also yelled out loud when I recognised David Naughton- 'American Werewolf' is one of my all time horror favourites & I'd been totally unspoiled for him being in this. No idea if that was a one off cameo appearance from him but if they *do* bring him back as a hotel ghost I would love them forever if they cast Griffin Dunne as his undead boyfriend...

I missed David Naughton?  Approximately when did you see him?

I missed David Naughton? Approximately when did you see him?

He was the producer guy that Angela Bassett was trying to convince to hire her- I don't remember the last part of this episode because I was so floored to see him on screen again (and that I recognised him so many years older, heh!)

• Love 3

I would buy the noir, wickedblender and I think there is a really legit argument for it -- but they miss the mark for me.  Noir never equalled frumpy.  

Yeah you've got a point. I definitely agree it's a missed mark in some ways - everything else is so stylized and glammed up, yet she's kind of frumpy which makes her stick out even more. It's such a sharp contrast it's almost got to be deliberate, but I recall saying/hearing similar things about other misfires in prior seasons. I guess we'll all find out together. :D

I am NOT a fan of Finn Witrock as an actor and I find RM and team have type cast him as one of the most annoying beasts on the planet -- the petulant, spoiled man baby.  Sigh.

However, that said, I'm enjoying this role he's in and I think he's doing a great job this time around...

I think he's rocking this role.  His body language and 'dude' inflections and facial expressions are priceless!  I like Finn a lot; he was amazing in the first season of "Masters of Sex", and was totally different than his Dandy/Tristan characters.

I saw David Naughton's name in the credits, and was wondering where he'd show up.  He was the 'blink and you'll miss him' producer in Ramona's 70's flashback, when she first met Gaga's character.  I thought it was another nice, if small, horror movie homage, since he was in 'American Werewolf in London' (in addition to being the Dr. Pepper guy!).

Well, it's already been said that Ryan Murphy has a thing for baby-faced, brunette, blue-eyed actors; lucky for me they're just my type, too!  Cheyenne Jackson, wowza!  And I thought there couldn't be a prettier guy on this show than Matt Bomer!

Edited by Kat From Jersey

The Countess was born in 1904 and James in 1895. I don't think Evan looks 9 years older then Gaga lol. Her talking about marrying Will for money could be another clue to her being James wife. Iris thinks the wife turned him in so she could get all the money.

• Love 2

Between the cop looking at the "commandments" type killings and the way the hotel seems to work, I feel like the are going for a Dante type, nine circles of hell. These characters are not all on the same level of hell. Different levels of purgatory. If Ryan Murphy pulls this off, it could be epic. Just my theory of course.

• Love 2

Sally helping Iris to kill herself was the most interesting thing she's done so far. Donovan turning her into a vampire, I didn't see coming.

It didn't occur to me until later, but why would Sally have real heroin?  She's dead.

Finn Wittrock is just fantastic, and while I'm not usually a Chloe fan in the series, I think that she's one of the most interesting characters this season. Having been in a few grief groups over the decades,  I think that she's nailing her character.  They could stop dressing her up as Nicky from Big Love though. 

Alex dresses conservatively, but not nearly as conservatively as Nicki.  Nicki always wore denim skirts and floral long-sleeve shirts with her hair French braided - one step up from the FLDS Little House on the Prairie outfits.  I agree that Chloe's portraying grief well.  It's as if she's sleep walking through life and pretty numb except while she's in her doctor mode.  She's a caring and gentle doctor, and I like that she always wanted to be a pediatrician to help children, not just inspired by losing a child.

I like Chloe Sevigny in general, though I've been having a bit of a problem with her on this season as she just doesn't seem to FIT... until my boyfriend pointed out that her character and her storyline seem very noir. Perhaps we're giving too much credit, but I think he may be onto something. Her hairstyles (especially that elaborate twisty updo) have been pretty 30's-40's, and her husband is a detective so they feel like time displaced film noir characters.

Her monologue voice over is what really cemented it for me.

I'm sure you're on the right track, but Alex's hair reminds me of a 70s look.  Healthy shiny hair with no hairspray, in a loose bun with tendrils hanging.   Her hair is pretty distinctive, and I'm sure it's styled that way for some purpose.

They actually did foreshadow/address that last week. When the countess turned Trisan he was asking whether they could be killed with a silver bullet and she said we're eternally young, not immortal. So, yes, they can be killed just like any regular person. Hmm. The Countess was around before the MMR vaccine. Maybe she's going to end up dying from the measles from one of the blood farm kids. Otherwise I don't understand that whole storyline.

I was just reading ahead on my DVR - they used to cut it off at a week, but now they show two weeks worth of upcoming shows. The description in two weeks, said something about her and a patient, so - I'll put this in spoilers, as speculation:

I wonder if she'll be giving some of her son's blood to a dying patient.

Otherwise, what you've suggested is what I was thinking last week. That she or her husband might think of that to kill the vampires, since they aren't immortal. 

Edited by Anela

I think he's rocking this role. His body language and 'dude' inflections and facial expressions are priceless! I like Finn a lot; he was amazing in the first season of "Masters of Sex", and was totally different than his Dandy/Tristan characters.

I'd never heard of Finn Witrock before AHS but he (& his relationship with mother) was the main thing that kept me watching last season so I'm very happy he's back! I think I have a soft spot for actors that are given roles that are unattractive, unlikable, could-be-cringeworthy characters and just go for it 100% without embarrassment or a conspiratorial wink to the audience that they know the character is horrible. I really like his interactions with Evan Peters too so I hope we get lots more of those

Edited by Dr.Jacoby
  • Love 1

LOL, I thought of that, too.  So if it's intentional that she's dressed frumpy (the "Zara knockoff" comment as my case in point -- wardrobe and the writers acknowledging each other) -- then it's NOT meant to be noir.

She's just a wardrobe nightmare and her hairdresser sucks.  Because -- this is not making the character work for me within the plot.

ETA:  A MUCH better (omg, much better) version of noir recently is the wardrobe and hair on Gillian Anderson in "Hannibal" and I'm not a fan of that look, either.  But that is noir.  Frump-dump  is not.

Older and more relevant to AHS Hotel, is Sean Young's character, Rachel, in "Bladerunner."  That's also noir.

Edited by Captanne
  • Love 1

The Countess was born in 1904 and James in 1895. I don't think Evan looks 9 years older then Gaga lol. Her talking about marrying Will for money could be another clue to her being James wife. Iris thinks the wife turned him in so she could get all the money.

The ages they appear to be now are the ages when they were killed/turned. Mr. March killed himself first and then she lived for however much longer before being turned, so it works for me. But I agree about Evan in general--I still think of him as teenager Tate. I don't know how old Evan actually is, but he is pulling off this older role better than I would have predicted.

• Love 1

The ages they appear to be now are the ages when they were killed/turned. Mr. March killed himself first and then she lived for however much longer before being turned, so it works for me. But I agree about Evan in general--I still think of him as teenager Tate. I don't know how old Evan actually is, but he is pulling off this older role better than I would have predicted.

Evan is 28 yrs old. He is doing a great job of being more older and sophisticated. Yes agree for the present it works since she may have been turned later on. We don't have the info on that yet. If she is his wife and they flashback to the past him being almost a decade older then her looks wise is a stretch to me. Acting wise yes he will pull it off.

Since Angela Bassett is 57 yrs I think she may be the real vampire lol. That or she has a picture in her attic.

• Love 6

He really is. I actually didn't think he had it in him. I commented on how great he was while watching and my son didn't even know it was him until I said it. He was impressed and as a surly teenager that doesn't happen often.

Agree with the entire viewership that Angela Basset rules.

As a person that isn't into Lady Gaga,I just see what is forced in front of me where she is concerned I as loving her. She's amazing in this, at times she's (going to sound mean and rude) not attractive in the least then she transform before my eyes into a amazingly beautiful woman. Either way she commands attention,oozes charisma. I read somewhere how she researched the hell out of vampire lore and worked closely with the costumer about her wardrobe,bringing in personal items for the role. She's so odd it is hard for me to tell if she is a great actress though, kinda like judging Courtney Love in People VS Larry Flynt. How much is acting and how much is just keeping it real?

Betting Alex will ask Holden to turn her so she can be with him again.

I agree with you about Gaga. But let me just say, she looked stunning when she met Angela Bassett for the first time. That blue jumpsuit and blonde hair was everything.

• Love 1

One more on the Angela Bassett Love Train. She not only made this episode, she makes the whole season. Lady Gaga may be playing The Countess, but as far as I'm concerned, Angela Bassett is The Queen. Her Ramona Royale has the best origin story I've seen this season so far by far. Ramona's initial encounter with The Countess was not suprising , nor was the nasty, brutal breakup that followed. According to Ramona, The Countess has no problem with making other vamps as long as they don't make others because she hates the competition and apparently so does Ramona, hence her abducting Donovan in an attempt to destroy The Countess by killing the little vamps because Ramona thinks that she loves them the most. However, I believe that the little vamps are just a means to an end for The Countess. They're just food, just like the junkies that Donovan fed on after The Countess dumped him. The Countess and Ramona aren't the only women in Donovan's life giving him grief. There's his mama Iris, with whom he had a horrible fight, in which he blamed her for his addiction, his parents' divorce, putting him on a fiber-rich diet that made her shit himself in public, which is one of the worst things that can happen to anyone, especially a child, which Donovan was at the time and telling her that he wanted her to die, which Liz Taylor put him on blast for and rightfully so. While Iris is clingy, annoying and batshit crazy, she loves Donovan in her desperate, selfish and extremely fucked-up way (or at least she thinks she does), otherwise she wouldn't have killed herself at Donovan's request. Donovan realized the depths of Iris' love, otherwise he wouldn't have turned her, which, knowing The Countess, she won't be happy about, to put it mildly.

Poor John. As if he's not suffering enough already, Sally's got the hots for him & Alex wants to divorce him, neither of which he needs right now. John shouldn't have asked Alex to try for another baby, but I'll chalk that up to stress and grief. I also don't believe that John's the "10 Commandments" killer because two of the victims-the twins who allegedly killed their parents-were killed in his house, which wouldn't be something that he would want Alex nor Scarlett to see. As for  Alex, her blatant favoritism for Holden, her first born (I believe) is understandable, if unfair. Loving Holden more than John is one thing; loving him more than Scarlett, her own daughter, is another.

Poor Will. If The Countess or Tristan don't get him, then blue balls might.

Gabriel's killing Claudia because he thought that she was Sally proves that smack not only makes users crazy, in some cases, it also makes them blind.

I am not sure what to make of Sally yet and the relationship with her and the Detective. I found the scene in the elevator incredibly well done but I am not sure where if anywhere it is heading. I hope it is going somewhere because they have chemistry and I would love to see those crazy kids work it out.

Not me. John has way too much drama in his life already without having to deal with Sally, a pathetic, junkie skank who not only watched Gabriel, a fellow junkie, get raped, she imprisoned him, scared Scarlett and killed Iris. By her own admission, Sally said that junkies can't be trusted and John doesn't need to be with anyone else whom he can't trust.

Edited by DollEyes
  • Love 3

I get how the mattress junkie might claw his way out of the mattress; he could tear out the stitches. But how did he then get through the sheets so easily? They must be so old and worn that they are practically falling apart. Must be all the ammonia and scrubbing.

The mattress junkie/monster is the weakest part of the show IMHO. Other than it being random and scary when the monster crawls out, I really don't see any reason for sewing it into the mattress with those horribly large stitches. Hope the mattress monster goes the way of Twisty from the last season: just appear for the first few episodes and then gets killed off. I have seen that actor who plays Gabriel/mattress monster in small roles in other TV shows, but here he reminds me of Sasha Baron Cohen, specifically the gay character Bruno he played in one of his docu-movies. Not a good hairstyle for the actor as he has looked much better with his brunette hair.

Angela Bassett is 57? She must be the Supreme and/or an actual voodoo queen who received eternal youth from Papa Legba! Damn she looks 37!

• Love 1

When Gabriel (mattress guy) came to, he said something to the affect of she said I had to do it, I thought it was that strung out bitch. My interpretation was that he was killed, but Sally told him that he could come back to life if he killed someone.

Kind of a reach here, but it reminds me of the Hellraiser movies. A person is killed on a mattress, and then that bloody mattress is used to bring that person back to life when other people are killed on it (and the dead person "eats" their body or whatever).

• Love 1

Great Pam Grier shout out.  They were spot-on with the 70s Blacksploitation film parody.  Bride of Blackenstein, lol.  The one thing this show is good at is capturing a lot of the pop culture quirks of different time periods.

• Love 3

I dunno.  The series is called American Horror Story.  Shouldn't there have been at least one scene that evoked either horror or fear?  Nothin'.

It is kind of a dramady at this point, but as long as the characters are interesting and the story moves forward, I'll keep watching.  I've made it through 3 episodes, so that is a plus.   Coven and Freak Show put me to sleep, and I couldn't get through them, but I did like Asylum and Murder House.   This series is kind of hit or miss for me!  

Edited by Fable
  • Love 1

Only on a Ryan Murphy show is Finn Wittrock considered supermodel material and everyone raves over his beauty. Move over Michael Fassbender, Idris Elba, Daniel Craig, David Beckham.

I am enjoying the season but agree it totally lacks horror and definitely the scares of season 1 "Murder House" & season 2 "Asylum".

It's always nice to see Mädchen Amick.

The Lowe family dog was cute. It looked like a standard schnauzer and border terrier mix.

UO alert but I think Sally is a piece of shit and I'm not crazy about SP's acting choices. The fact her outfits, makeup, and hair are Courtney Love rip offs don't help matters since she's. whatever it not entertaining endearing or fascinating.

Ok, I'm joining the love train for Evan Peters. I found him dull and forgettable in "Coven" and "Freak Show," though not bad in "Murder House" and "Asylum." Here, though, I'm almost in love. Playing a (chronologically) mature character, he's amazing. He's showing energy and style, and definite talent. More James P. March, please! And although I don't like Sally (am I supposed to?) it's the only time I've liked Sarah Paulson's work in the series. Kathy Bates did some of her series best work in this episode, between her no-hold-barred showdown with Donovan and her confessional with Sally.  Denis O'Hare gets to be articulate (which he wasn't in "Coven") and sympathetic (which he wasn't in "Freak Show"), so that's all good, and Matt Bomer and Cheyenne Jackson are incredibly pleasant to look at. I don't like Tristan as much as I did Dandy, but Finn Witrock continues to give his all.

I really liked most of the episode. It's ironic that with so much pure evil at and around the hotel, the first time I said "You bitch!" out loud was at inoffensive, grieving Alex Lowe. My moral compass is totally out of whack. If you don't want your handsome, tormented husband, I'll take him, hon. And I'm not the ghost of a heroin addict.

Oh, and welcome to Angela Bassett. You were totally worth the wait!

• Love 1

As for Chloe Sevigny -- I saw her for the first time in a binge-watch of a strange little UK show called Hit or Miss.  She was really striking in that but, here, in Hotel, she's just frumpy and kind of awful.

Captanne - I saw Hit or Miss as well and it was brilliant!  Probably the only thing I've seen Chloe in where she didn't act like a dead fish.