Type keyword(s) to search

The Annual Academy Awards - General Discussion

• Start Topic

I was hoping for a Ruth Negga upset, but knew it would not happen. I would have gave it to any of the ladies except Meryl. I like Meryl, but do not think she should have been nominated.

Edited by Misslindsey
  • Love 10
Just now, double-elvis said:

His co-nominees deserved it just as much. Especially Denzel. 

Subjective- but I think it's crap to dismiss someone's work just because ALLEGATIONS have been made against them.
I love Denzel, but found him lacking in Fences. To me it felt phoned in.

• Love 4

Yay, Emma Stone!!!  Great evening for the leads of The Help!

Didn't see Loving, but it's cool seeing Ruth Negga get some love.  Remember first seeing her as Raina on Agents of Shield and being majorly impressed.

Edited by thuganomics85
  • Love 8
Just now, ichbin said:

That's how I felt about Russell Crowe the year Denzel won for Training Day.  

I'm still convinced that this was their "oops our bad" for not giving Denzel the Oscar for The Hurricane.

Emma Stone won? I like her overall, but she was meh in this.  And she's sadly giving me Anne Hathaway vibes. 

• Love 10
Just now, Sugar said:

Subjective- but I think it's crap to dismiss someone's work just because ALLEGATIONS have been made against them.

I agree. I watched both and Casey's performance was heart-breaking. He deserved it and it was his award. Everyone knew it was going to be him.

• Love 4
Just now, ichbin said:

Ha! That's how I felt about Denzel the year Al Pacino won for Scent of a Woman. I was sad Al hadn't earned an Oscar yet, but damn Denzel's Malcolm X was transcendent.

• Love 11

I don't know why, but I find it very annoying when young actresses get up to the stage all breathless and rambling. I know they're probably nervous/excited, but you'd think they'd have more composure in this business. Editors sometimes have more poise!
Anyway, I don't like Emma Stone, and I'm probably alone in that opinion, so I'll see myself out!

• Love 2
Just now, Sugar said:

I know what you are saying and I think Casey is a talented actor but I could not stand MBTS and I did not like his performance. Shrugs. 

• Love 3
2 minutes ago, ichbin said:

That's how I feel.  Denzel may have deserved this year, but he got one for basically playing Jules Winnfield in a squad car.

• Love 1
2 minutes ago, DearEvette said:

Ha! That's how I felt about Denzel the year Al Pacino won for Scent of a Woman. I was sad Al hadn't earned an Oscar yet, but damn Denzel's Malcolm X was transcendent.

And I'm still bitter RDJ didn't win that year lol. Or the other time he was nominated because he deserved it for Tropic Thunder as well.

It's past 11 here. I can't remember the last time the Oscars went past 11.

Edited by galaxygirl76
  • Love 2
2 minutes ago, Sugar said:

I don't know why, but I find it very annoying when young actresses get up to the stage all breathless and rambling. I know they're probably nervous/excited, but you'd think they'd have more composure in this business. Editors sometimes have more poise!

Lol, I remember Hathaway looking at the Oscar and squeaking, "It came true!" And wanting to throw up. I do recall being pleasantly surprised by Brie Larson last year for being succinct and gracious.

• Love 6
2 minutes ago, voiceover said:

Eh, it's a Persian thing.  Admire his films; don't like him personally.  

And I always thought Abbas deserved more recognition than the In Memoriam nod.

It's not a Persian thing, it's a personal opinion thing. I'm Persian too. ;)

• Love 1
1 minute ago, Artsda said:

... Casey's performance was heart-breaking. He deserved it and it was his award. Everyone knew it was going to be him.

His performance was heartbreaking. And sad. And melancholic. And dismal. Kind of picked one expression and settled into it.

• Love 6