Type keyword(s) to search

The Annual Academy Awards - General Discussion

• Start Topic

But it then wouldn't it have said Emma Stone in big letters?

It did, that's why Warren never announced anything. He was looking in the envelope, looking at production then showed Faye. Who went and read LaLa Land and not the Emma part.

• Love 5
2 minutes ago, jjj said:

This is someone's worst nightmare on the production side.  Somebody backstage was screaming "NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO" for about thirty seconds while the rest of production was running like mad.  (Not that I was there, but I've done producing of events.)

I'd love to see video footage of that pandemonium.

• Love 16
4 minutes ago, Laurie4H said:

It was staged.

What is the point of doing that though? That would undermine the credibility of the Awards. This is just a mistake by either Dunaway and Beatty or someone gave them the wrong envelope.  It would destroy the moment for whoever was the actual winner and the incorrectly named winner.  There is no upside to anyone on the production nor Jimmy Kimmel to pull such a stunt.

• Love 7
2 minutes ago, ShadowHunter said:

The real person at fault is the one that handed Warren the wrong envelope. 

Just now, galaxygirl76 said:

You know, I was going to go to bed and yet I'm still here so thanks production person who gave the wrong envelope.

I literally had turned the tv off and was sitting in bed. My twitter and Facebook newsfeed blew up, and I ran back downstairs to catch the end of Barry Jenkins speech. So crazy!

1 minute ago, Misslindsey said:

So how many awards did La La Land win? Six? I feel like I could be missing something. 

They said seven, so it must actually be six.  Kinda crazy, that, since the buzz was that they were going to get the record for sure.

• Love 2
1 minute ago, Negritude said:

I saw Moonlight but was alittle underwhelmed by it. It makes me wish Fruitvale could've gotten the same love a few years back since I thought it was in a much better film.

I loved Moonlight and it was my favorite film of the bunch. I did wish Fruitvale would have gotten more love. I really liked that movie. I love Michael B Jordan. I wish he would get some more award worthy roles. He is very talented. I also, sadly remember him as Reggie on All My Children back in the day.

• Love 13
6 minutes ago, mojoween said:

Warren's card did.  The other card was brought out by a producer.

No I know, I was just responding to why Faye would've read La La Land when Emma Stone would've been the large part of the card.  Warren was justifiably confused.  

Edited by jcin617
  • Love 1
2 minutes ago, Artsda said:

It did, that's why Warren never announced anything. He was looking in the envelope, looking at production then showed Faye. Who went and read LaLa Land and not the Emma part.

I totally understand Warren's confusion and it's not like I would have been in that situation and done any better, but in hindsight, maybe it would have been better for him to have said something right there, when he saw Emma Stone's name, like "I got the wrong envelope...cannot announce the winner..."

• Love 10
1 minute ago, Misslindsey said:

I loved Moonlight and it was my favorite film of the bunch. I did wish Fruitvale would have gotten more love. I really liked that movie. I love Michael B Jordan. I wish he would get some more award worthy roles. He is very talented. I also, sadly remember him as Reggie on All My Children back in the day.

Yeah, I thought about Fruitvale too. Plus that one was local to me, so I personally liked it more. 

• Love 2

They said seven, so it must actually be six.  Kinda crazy, that, since the buzz was that they were going to get the record for sure.

Well six awards is still very good and they won big. I felt bad for them for having to step aside up there, that must have felt so awkward. But I'm also happy Moonlight won.

Warren Beaty didn't do anything wrong, the only person who's at fault is the one who gave him the wrong envelope. To be fair though, that happened to me once too at an exam I was supervising and I died a thousand deaths in there so I feel bad for that person too.

• Love 4
Just now, ShadowHunter said:

Agree and hope people don't blame Warren it wasn't his fault. When you watch it again the confusion on his face now we understand.

Actually, I think it was mainly the envelope folks' fault. However; Mr. Beatty wasn't entirely blame-free as whoever heard of a 'Best Picture' that listed ONLY a single performer for the Best Pic title?

Oh, well. Maybe "La La Land" can seek out Miss Columbia from that Miss Universe debacle and they can form a support group. At least the "La La Land" people's families got to hear the nice tributes to them so it wasn't entirely a waste.

• Love 2
Just now, slowpoked said:

I totally understand Warren's confusion and it's not like I would have been in that situation and done any better, but in hindsight, maybe it would have been better for him to have said something right there, when he saw Emma Stone's name, like "I got the wrong envelope...cannot announce the winner..."

But Dunaway took the card and read it anyway. She didn't realize he was geniunely confused. She didn't know the card was wrong. So this is on the production person.

• Love 3
32 minutes ago, MVFrostsMyPie said:

We must have been in the same movie theater! I think I started ugly crying only a few minutes into the movie and didn't stop even after the credits ended.

It is exactly for that reason that I intend to wait and watch it at home.  

• Love 4
30 minutes ago, catrox14 said:

But Dunaway took the card and read it anyway. She didn't realize he was geniunely confused. She didn't know the card was wrong. So this is on the production person.

Yeah I think if Warren had been presenting alone it might have gone smother but I think Faye thought he was mugging or something and was trying to move things along. 

Edited by double-elvis
  • Love 6
Just now, Blergh said:

Actually, I think it was mainly the envelope folks' fault. However; Mr. Beatty wasn't entirely blame-free as whoever heard of a 'Best Picture' that listed ONLY a single performer for the Best Pic title?

Oh, well. Maybe "La La Land" can seek out Miss Columbia from that Miss Universe debacle and they can form a support group. At least the "La La Land" people's families got to hear the nice tributes to them so it wasn't entirely a waste.

I don't blame Warren at all.  He wasn't sure, so he would not announce the winner.  Faye Dunaway was the one who just glanced at it at blurted out the first movie title she saw on the card.  It looked like she hit the bricks after and left Warren holding the bag.

I'm surprised they don't have the envelopes themselves marked with big, bold letters as to which award it's holding.  Or even color coding the envelopes.  Bet that will change next year.

• Love 9
5 minutes ago, catrox14 said:

What is the point of doing that though? That would undermine the credibility of the Awards. This is just a mistake by either Dunaway and Beatty or someone gave them the wrong envelope.  It would destroy the moment for whoever was the actual winner and the incorrectly named winner.  There is no upside to anyone on the production nor Jimmy Kimmel to pull such a stunt.

Jimmy Kimmel wouldn't have anything to do with it.  He is just the host.  It is staged for buzz.  No publicity is bad publicity ....it's a huge media story that everyone will be talking about tomorrow.  It's also political....since so much seems to be about race.

I've begun to resent LLL so needless to say the petty side of me was howling when they were fake-awarded. Not a pretty impulse but there it is. Moonlight is a vastly superior movie and deserved to win and this night is going to go down in Oscar history.

• Love 16

#1 person that messed up of course is the person that gave Warren the envelope.

But if the card said Emma Stone -La La Land... you have to call that to someone's attention, live TV or not.

I just heard Emma say she was still holding on to her envelope.  Hmmmm...interesting.

• Love 4
1 minute ago, Blergh said:

However; Mr. Beatty wasn't entirely blame-free as whoever heard of a 'Best Picture' that listed ONLY a single performer for the Best Pic title?

It's supposed to be a fairly straight forward, pain free process.  Walk up to the stage, read the banter on the teleprompter, open the card and read what's on it.  When he read what was on it, he looked confused.  Something wasn't right about it so suddenly he's being made to process something strange....in front of a room full of people while the show is over in time.  While the fact that he got the wrong card looks pretty obvious now, it's not something that is common at these awards shows so likely wasn't top-of-mind as a reason things seemed off.  In fact, other than the Miss Universe thing (and was that even the wrong card?) I can't recall it ever happening although I read somewhere that it happened at the Tonys almost 30 years ago.  

And he didn't even read it.  Faye did.   

• Love 13
4 minutes ago, Laurie4H said:

Jimmy Kimmel wouldn't have anything to do with it.  He is just the host.  It is staged for buzz.  No publicity is bad publicity ....it's a huge media story that everyone will be talking about tomorrow.  It's also political....since so much seems to be about race.

Yeah, No. Sorry. I think that's too much of a reach even for Hollywood. People are going to get fired for this. The only stunt MIGHT be some intern who might think it was funny to swap envelopes but that is a HUGE reach that I don't think would be the case.

• Love 7

I actually liked La La Land very much.  It's beautiful, cheerful, and a love letter to the movie musicals that came before it.  BUT, I've never once considered it deserving of even a nomination for Best Picture, so I've been adamantly against it all Oscar season.  I'm just delighted that Moonlight won, as I feel it's easily the best movie of the year and certainly of the nominated bunch.  I didn't expect it to win and was actually hoping that an upset would come from Hidden Figures due to the SAG win.  The way it won was crappy but the point is that it did and I'm thrilled.

All I can think is that the ballots must be printed in the same format every year and that Faye, knowing this and assuming that Warren was possibly having trouble reading the type, took the paper and went straight for the movie line and that's how she missed why he was acting weird.  As for Warren himself, this has never happened before and I think he may honestly have wondered if he was going a bit crazy and that's why he didn't immediately speak up about it being the wrong envelope.  Also, how it was wrong in the first place has me thinking that there are either two ballots printed as suggested upthread; one for the winner and one for posterity OR Emma/Leo had set hers down on the same table that keeps them and, with only one envelope left, someone got them mixed up.  Maybe that person even realized that Emma hadn't kept her envelope and was holding Picture, thinking it was Actress, to give to her after the show.  We'll find out very soon I expect.

At least now we've seen what happens when a mistake is made so all those people who still claim Marisa Tomei falsely won can sit down.

• Love 6

I've begun to resent LLL so needless to say the petty side of me was howling when they were fake-awarded. Not a pretty impulse but there it is.

You were resentful towards a whole film? Haha I'm can't exactly judge since I feel the same about Lin Manuel Miranda. I was so happy when he lost. I love Hamilton and In the Heights but I'm so tired of hearing about him. 

• Love 3

Warren stalled and looked confused and even peeked back into the envelope like he was looking for a second card. You can even see him look past Faye to offstage which is when she makes her comment.  So I think they must have accidentally printed two Best Actress cards ?

• Love 14
53 minutes ago, Dancingjaneway said:

It is extremely hypocritical of Hollywood/the academy to rail against anti-semitism, sexual abuse and such but then go and reward people that do those things. It would be nice if they would for once do the right thing. 

Seriously. Statistics put false accusations by women below 1%, Affleck was accused by at least two women, and based on the way he's phrased past comments on the matter there's no doubt in my mind he actually did do what he's accused of. He shouldn't have been nominated at all.

• Love 21
19 minutes ago, Valny said:

Did anyone catch the look on Damien C's face? He was way in the back but he did not look pleased... or maybe it was just shock... as would anyone be.

I noticed thats why I hope and choose to believe this was not a stunt. Thats messed up.  

• Love 3
Just now, double-elvis said:

My questions is how would there even be 2 Best Actress envelopes floating around? And how did the right Best Picture one just appear? It's so strange. 

It could have been a duplicate that was mistakenly put in the wrong envelope.  I guess we'll learn more tomorrow.  

• Love 3

Since this was also the first year (ever?  in a while?) that the accountants weren't brought on stage, I'm wondering if there was a change in how the ballots were tabulated/organized/transported?  If not and they just decided to not bring them out, I feel 110% confident that they'll be front and center next year and maybe even have a designated member of the firm checking the envelopes the second before they're put in the presenter's hand.

• Love 3
2 minutes ago, double-elvis said:

My questions is how would there even be 2 Best Actress envelopes floating around? And how did the right Best Picture one just appear? It's so strange. 

Someone brought the right one on stage.  Who knows where it was before then?

• Love 1
10 hours ago, MerBearHou said:

The worst Oscars show ever.  Pacing, stupid bits that wasted time, Casey Affleck, and the unforgivable error for the biggest award of the entire night. 

Watching it without commercials helps.  I started it up on my DVR about 40 minutes after the show began and zipped through the ads.  I thought it actually  moved along pretty well, and Kimmel's funny bits were actually funny.  I recently saw 5 of the BP nominees this year and thought it was a strong year for movies, so I found the program fun to watch. 

Edited by Inquisitionist
  • Love 7