Type keyword(s) to search

The Annual Academy Awards - General Discussion

• Start Topic

So a movie based on lies and white knight fiction won...you had one job, Oscars, sheesh.

Apparently Oscars 2019 told the Oscars of 1990 to hold their beer after that Driving Miss Daisy win. 

At least it's over for another year.

Hey, Academy, make sure you book this year's host again. 

• LOL 10
  • Love 10
1 minute ago, tennisgurl said:

I guess they went for the most conventional "Oscar bait" style movie. I guess? 

The conventional "Oscar bait" movie 25 years ago, maybe.

I'm reeling in shock here.  I'd give my eye teeth to see the actual vote counts on this one.

• LOL 2
  • Love 9

Yeah, Julia has to take a second to make it about her. To the surprise of no one ever.

1 minute ago, yowsah1 said:

The conventional "Oscar bait" movie 25 years ago, maybe.

The second film in the Driving Miss Daisy Cinematic Universe!

• LOL 5
  • Love 1
3 minutes ago, tennisgurl said:

SHUT THE FRONT DOOR THEY FUCKING DID IT CRITICS ARE HAVING HERNIAS!

Its Crash all over again!!!!!

I thought Green Book was pretty basic but critics loved it. It's been winning awards all season and it's got a friggin 93% audience score on Flixster / RottenTomatoes. It was also better-reviewed than say Bohemian Rhapsody. Crash is in a category all to itself. 

• Love 4
7 minutes ago, sally-can-wait said:

Tell that to Cate Blanchett

I give you Judi Dench, Colin Firth, and Helen Mirren. 

Cate, as well as Saving Private Ryan, were defeated by Harvey Weinstein's publicity machine. 

• Love 3
Just now, vb68 said:

She still is a genuine star. I think that's all they wanted. At least it wasn't Warren Beatty and Faye Dunaway round three.

Thank God for that. I was just thinking they might get someone relevant to the category or maybe a nominee from last year.

But a star she is and always will be.

Viggo has an oscar now so...that's something I guess.

• Love 2

I haven't been paying much attention to what's been going on in Oscar land this season- in terms of controversies and so forth- and I didn't see Green Book- but saw most of the other movies. But I did see my Twitter timeline erupt with disgust when it won. Can someone fill me in as to why? I figured this was the best place to ask! 

Edited by SiobhanJW
1 minute ago, Macbeth said:

Cate, as well as Saving Private Ryan, were defeated by Harvey Weinstein's publicity machine. 

That, plus people felt that Judi Dench had been robbed by Helen Hunt the year before.

• Love 2
Just now, Macbeth said:

That year was infuriating. My dad still laments Saving Private Ryan losing and Cate was robbed. 

• Love 2
3 minutes ago, GreekGeek said:

I'm going against the tide here, but I'm happy about Green Book. It was my favorite of the nominated films I saw. I was rooting for Spike Lee for Director, though.

Right. It wasn't my fave but I enjoyed it more than ASIB, Bohemian Rhapsody, and Vice just to name a few. I really wanted Roma or BlackKklansman to win but Green Book winning in my opinion is better than some of the other alternatives. (The film I really wanted to win wasn't even nominated so there's that).

• Love 2

I have to say I've been probably learning more about what won from the forum and youse all (doing colonoscopy prep, yuck and double yuck) and it's really appreciated.  I'm so glad I didn't get to see Green Book win over Roma...or the other films.  Don't get me wrong, I went and saw it, and liked it, but I didn't love it.  It was Viggo and Mahershala that kept me there and I liked their performances.  Wow...I am surprised, maybe not shocked but surprised, very surprised.  

I never get best flick right unless it's screaming obvious win.  I thought for sure that Leave No Trace, one of my faves of the year, would sneak in a couple of noms, or that Ethan would get nommed for First Reformed.  Shows you not to bet the same way I do.

Edited by CherryMalotte
  • Love 1

IDK. Kareem Abdul Jabbar whose opinions on films I respect loved The GreenBook. Then again he's in his 70's. I think it's an age thing. The Green Book is a very old fashioned film and The Academy voters are as a rule older and more old school than the other voting blocs. 

• Love 1
3 minutes ago, AshleyN said:

The big winner tonight is clearly Crash -- I have a feeling it's about to be replaced as the go to example of terrible Best Picture winners.

Right. I’m all for diversity but it seems the Oscars try too hard to impress who have, shall we say, unsophisticated filmic opinions. Like, just because the movie is about racism or prejudice in the South doesn’t  make it “powerful” or “important”. Blatant pandering brings down the value of the awards just like not recognizing PoC and women altogether. 

• Love 3
5 minutes ago, Vermicious Knid said:

And Hollywood gives the award to yet another movie about a black man's experience through a white person's perspective.

Look online for Seth Meyer' s spoof movie trailer with Amber Ruffin for "White Savior." So on point.  

• LOL 2
  • Love 14
1 minute ago, SiobhanJW said:

I haven't been paying much attention to what's been going on in Oscar land this season- in terms of controversies and so forth- and I didn't see Green Book- but saw most of the other movies. But I did see my Twitter timeline Erupt with disgust it won. Can someone fill me in as to why? I figured this was the best place to ask! 

The story is based on real life experiences, and the man's family did not approve of how the movie portrayed their Father.

• Love 3

You know, right up until the end, it had been a pretty pleasant Oscars show...mostly expected winners, including Rami (yes, I did squeal like a teenage girl), a big surprise with Olivia winning over Glenn, and then...they couldn't stick the landing, and we ended up with Green Book.  It's a real shame considering that there was a lot of diversity in the other winners tonight.

*sigh*  Just goes to show that the Oscars still have a long way to go diversity-wise. 

• Love 8

All in all, I did think it was a solid telecast.  I think it actually helped not having a host, as most of the presenters were able to make it entertaining enough.  And while not all of my favorites won, I can't really think of any win that upset me.  Really, my biggest gripe is still that Won't You Be My Neighbor? snub.

I do kind of fell bad for Bradley Cooper, but then I remind myself that he's still Bradley Freaking Cooper.

Honestly, the worst part of the night was; as much as I love the site; the forums really were all out of wack.  Don't deny me my Oscar snark and witty remarks, Previously TV!

Anyway, off to take a break and then watch the True Detective finale, because apparently this is Mahershala Ali's world, and he's dominating everything!

• Love 18
2 minutes ago, SiobhanJW said:

I haven't been paying much attention to what's been going on in Oscar land this season- in terms of controversies and so forth- and I didn't see Green Book- but saw most of the other movies. But I did see my Twitter timeline erupt with disgust when it won. Can someone fill me in as to why? I figured this was the best place to ask! 

There were issues with how Dr. Don Shirley was portrayed. His family said the film wasn't true to him but then he came out that he had some sort of falling out with his family - and he cut them out of his will (don't know if that is true). Mostly, a lot of people felt it was another White Savior movie; personally, I didn't get that impression and was more disappointed that it wasn't about The actual Green Book. A lot of the outrage surrounding the movie actually left a bad taste in my mouth because of who was most vocal; think about that scene in Get Out with the work liberal whites saying they'd have voted for Obama for a third time. A lot of the criticism in particular from white people just came across as too over the top and too try hard, trying to show they are woke or down for the cause. I'm happy that both Octavia Spencer and Mahershala Ali now have two Oscars each. 

• Love 5
1 minute ago, Broken Ox said:

Not watching, just following along here -- what did Julia say to (not unexpectedly) bring it back to her?

I’m pretty sure I heard her say she puts the pretty in Pretty Woman and Pretty in Pink. Then she dabbed and called us hoes before dismissing us.

It hurt my feelings.

• LOL 10
  • Love 2
2 minutes ago, BuckeyeLou said:
5 minutes ago, SiobhanJW said:

I haven't been paying much attention to what's been going on in Oscar land this season- in terms of controversies and so forth- and I didn't see Green Book- but saw most of the other movies. But I did see my Twitter timeline Erupt with disgust it won. Can someone fill me in as to why? I figured this was the best place to ask! 

The story is based on real life experiences, and the man's family did not approve of how the movie portrayed their Father.

Dr. Shirley's niece said it best:  

“My name is Carol Shirley Kimble. I’m the niece of Don Shirley, supposedly the subject of the movie The Green Book,” she said.

“There was no due diligence done to afford my family and my deceased uncle the respect of properly representing him, his legacy, his worth and the excellence in which he operated and the excellence in which he lived. It’s once again a depiction of a white man’s version of a Black man’s life. My uncle was an incredibly proud man and an incredibly accomplished man, as are the majority of people in my family. And to depict him as less than, and to depict him and take away from him and make the story about a hero of a white man for this incredibly accomplished Black man is insulting, at best.”

• Useful 3
  • Love 9
Just now, AnswersWanted said:

What gets me is that Spike's film was just sitting there for all the right reasons, and they still refused to embrace it.

Spike's film was filled with actual, deep sintiments about racial tension and issues in this country that tie in to current day directly, but of course the Academy can only bring themselves to honor a saccharine flm full of a white man's narrative about a black man's struggle, much of it lies, and make it nice and pretty and comfortable for the (white) viewer far more so than Spike ever would or has or will.

It's Driving Miss Daisy 2.0, it's what they continue to do time and time again and it sickens me.

The Academy prefers movies that address race made by white people instead of stories by black film makers.   It's a problematic pattern.

• Love 20

Julia Roberts also directly addressed Bradley Cooper's mom and said goodnight to her -- which I am sure his mom loved and appreciated (his mom is also a big fan of Richard Gere, so I am assuming she loved Pretty Woman) -- but, yeah... that Julia is just an awful person, I guess??

(P.S.  I like Julia.)   

• LOL 1
  • Love 18

If it's any consolation, I don't think Green Book is even the top 5 for most egregious Oscar snub. Those will always be:

1) Citizen Kane losing to How Green Was My Valley

2) Double Idemnity losing to Going My Way

3) Taxi Driver losing to Rocky

4) Around the World in 80 Days winning. Period.

5) Brokeback Mountain losing to Crash

• Love 17
Just now, Luckylyn said:

The Academy prefers movies that address race made by white people instead of stories by black film makers.   It's a problematic pattern.

Exactly, a trend they see no reason to break until it stops working and sadly so few wish to push the issue or stand against it.

I get why Ali was involved  and it worked out well for him, as it did for Morgan, but it's a step back every time for films like Spike's and other truth tellers.

It's tiring really. 

• Love 10

Not that I can explain it here (since I'm too lazy to actually Google it), but I think the Best Picture voting this year used something called Weighted Voting.  People were saying (many people...) that this could cause a not-best picture to win.  And they were right. 

Edited by ebk57
yes I do know the difference between to and too and two
  • Love 4