Type keyword(s) to search

The Annual Academy Awards - General Discussion

• Start Topic

I’m so happy for Michelle Yeoh.  Amazing that she is only the second non-white Best Actress in Oscar history.   I do realise that there are quite a number of actresses who are claimed to be Asian (Vivian Leigh, supposedly part Indian) and those of descent from the continent of Asia (Cher, Armenian and Natalie Portman, Israel).  But Yeoh is the first winner who actually looks Asian.   I loved her speech.  

• Like 16
  • LOL 1
Just now, mojoween said:

Everything I’ve seen so far shows that it is Not For Me, so I’ll just take all of everyone else’s words for it that it’s a good one.

Oh, I definitely want to give it a try, as there have been films that didn't seem at all my type I wound up enjoying, but not until I can do so for free.

• Like 5
10 minutes ago, ShadowHunter said:

Good for Brendan. I even like his silly movie Airheads and nobody talks about that one lol.  Part of me wanted Austin Butler but I'm still glad for Fraser. 

I liked Airheads too. I still remember seeing it in the $1 theater...😄

2 minutes ago, scarynikki12 said:

You know Harrison only agreed to present so he could see his Shortround again. Which I applaud.

That was so cute how he stood up and clapped like that when Harrison was introduced.

Edited by Jaded
  • Like 8
Just now, Eureka said:

It’s a great movie. Good thriller aspect to it. (Speaking of Kelly McGillis…she was in it.)

I knew she was in it, as is Harrison Ford. I just never got around to that one. Sounds like I should...

• Like 4
  • Love 3
7 minutes ago, Bastet said:

I haven't seen EEAAO yet (I went into its thread and it was described as a "sci-fi multiverse" or something like that, and that's not my jam, so I'm waiting until it appears on something I can see for free), but I've liked Michelle Yeoh since Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon, so I'm very happy for her.

It’s not usually my jam either and it’s really kind of odd but I really liked it.

• Like 2
1 minute ago, mojoween said:

Everything I’ve seen so far shows that it is Not For Me, so I’ll just take all of everyone else’s words for it that it’s a good one.

It's a trippy film, but the core story is worth it.  The mother-daughter story at its heart moved me.  

• Like 6
3 minutes ago, BuckeyeLou said:

I thought Jimmy got some good jokes in, timely & snarky

Thankfully he was less cringey than I thought he might be.

Edited by Jaded
  • Like 5
8 minutes ago, Ohiopirate02 said:

It's a trippy film, but the core story is worth it.  The mother-daughter story at its heart moved me.  

I just read one description as: "It is an inventive cross between an indie drama about an immigrant family, a zany sci-fi adventure and a superhero action film."  I can count on one hand the number of times I've liked films in those last two genres, but the first is right up my alley. 

I suspect I'll come away from it liking the performances far more than the story, but we'll see.

Edited by Bastet
  • Like 3
29 minutes ago, WendyCR72 said:

Because Tom Cruise probably wants to pretend he's still some irresistible stud?

I think it's probably because he felt like he needed to have a love story in it because there was a love story in the original.  Overall, most of his recent movies aren't focused on his character's love life.  

2 minutes ago, KaveDweller said:

Only about 35 minutes over, that's not so bad.

I seem to recall this show being scheduled to go for 3.5 hours.  So had they kept the length at that amount of time, we'd only be over by a reasonable 5 minutes.

• Like 4
1 minute ago, Jaded said:

Thankfully he was less cringey than I thought he might be.

Unlike last year, where almost every comedy routine was a complete cringe-fest, this year most of the jokes were actually funny.

• Like 7
9 minutes ago, mojoween said:

I know several people who loved it and hyped it up big time.  I was disappointed when I finally saw it.  Not for me either...that being said, however, I did recognize the quality of the acting , I just didn't care much for the story on a whole.  It had a lot of deep concepts but they were presented in a way I just couldn't appreciate.

• Like 2
3 minutes ago, blackwing said:

Google-fu at work!  The woman in the puffy white veil dress thing was Tems, one of Rihanna’s writing partners on “Lift Me Up”.   

This article (and accompanying photo and Twitter quotes) is hilarious:

https://nypost.com/2023/03/12/oscar-nominee-tems-slammed-for-rude-view-blocking-outfit/amp/

She deserves the call out. It’s live performance 101 to not wear something that obstructs the view of people behind you. A performer should know that better then most.

• Like 13

I just realized, there were actually two Michelle’s nominated for the award, but this is probably the one time were even Michelle Williams know that when the name “Michelle…” was uttered by Jessica Chastain, there’s no suspense at all and everyone knew immediately who won.

13 minutes ago, yowsah1 said:

Unlike last year, where almost every comedy routine was a complete cringe-fest, this year most of the jokes were actually funny.

I thought Amy’s monologue toward the beginning was actually funny and good. And I was thinking Amy as a solo host would actually work.

Edited by slowpoked
  • Like 4
8 minutes ago, blackwing said:

Google-fu at work!  The woman in the puffy white veil dress thing was Tems, one of Rihanna’s writing partners on “Lift Me Up”.   

I wondered who that was.  I always feel sorry for those unfortunate enough to be seated behind people who make decisions to wear stuff like this to this kind of event.  It's so inconsiderate.

• Like 14

Watching MY’s acceptance speech again because I have admired and watched her for so long…and Halle’s tears, and her mouthing oh my God, and the tight embrace….she understood the moment! 

And she handed the Oscar to Michelle Yeoh! The first black woman Oscar winner to the first (self-identified) Asian woman winner, passing on the torch indeed! 

Edited by slowpoked
  • Like 7
  • Love 11

Well color me surprised but this was actually a really good Oscar's this year. So happy for Ke Huy Quan and Michelle Yeoh!

Best Dressed gent: Ke Huy Quan.   Timeless, classic, elegance

Best Dressed woman: Cara Delevigne.        Her red dress is everything I want to see at The Oscar's. And her bling was perfect for that dress. She was the epitome old Hollywood elegance. 

Edited by gingerella
  • Like 7
47 minutes ago, MadyGirl1987 said:

She deserves the call out. It’s live performance 101 to not wear something that obstructs the view of people behind you. A performer should know that better then most.

Yes.  Or sometimes maybe a performer does it on purpose to get attention, like Cher the year she got snubbed for Best Actress for “Mask”, was asked to present and had Bob Mackie design a “screw you” dress for her to wear to the ceremony. 

E4947670-6849-423B-B137-98B60F766B07.webp

Edited by blackwing
  • Like 5
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, Eureka said:

No chemistry between them at all. The chemistry between Cruise and McGillis in the original was much hotter.

Disagreed on both fronts there. I think time has shown how poorly that pairing was in the first Top Gun.

• Like 2

Raise your hand if you've actually watched the entire "EEAAO" and "The Whale." I've  read of theater-goers walking out of both. 

The 3-person "The Whale," with supposedly the "Best Actor" amongst them, couldn't  get itself nominated for "Best Picture." How does THAT work?? (Yes, twice before. Not exactly ringing support, considering history.)

Maybe Austin and Baz should have made the film only about Late-Vegas Big Elvis.

Then at least tonight's "Best Actor in a Fat Suit" would have been competitive. 

• LOL 1
  • Love 1
5 minutes ago, slowpoked said:

Watching MY’s acceptance speech again because I have admired and watched her for so long…and Halle’s tears, and her mouthing oh my God, and the tight embrace….she understood the moment! 

The Academy really nailed this one. Having Halle Berry on the stage instead of the banned Will Smith to present the award to Michelle Yeoh was perfect scripting. If Cate Blanchett had won, it would have been just a normal presentation but they'd prepared for the historic moment by having Halle Berry there.👏

• Like 11
16 minutes ago, DollEyes said:

The more I see Ke Huy Quan, the more adorable he gets! His humility, his kindness and his plain, unadulterated joy is contagious! His happiness makes me happy for him. He's like Roberto Benigni, only not annoying!

Gonna massively disagree on that final phrase there! 

• Like 2
10 hours ago, Irlandesa said:

This was literally my journey.  At the moment he started to stumble, I thought perhaps he shouldn't be having these solo segments.  But then I remembered.

He lost his wife and two of his closest friends ever in pretty quick succession. It just hit me how close he was to those two women on top of his lovely wife. That would wreck anyone.

Edited by Racj82
  • Like 11
  • Sad 4
1 minute ago, LennieBriscoe said:

Raise your hand if you've actually watched the entire "EEAAO"

Three times. And it's on Amazon Prime here in Canada so i want to rewatch it again.

• Like 13