Type keyword(s) to search

The Annual Academy Awards - General Discussion

• Start Topic

6 hours ago, sugarbaker design said:

Sorry, I just don't believe that.  Lupita was a lock that year, there is no way that SH would be crying over that loss.

I don't believe she was a lock that year. Just like the race between JLC and Bassett this year, I think it was seen as a toss-up whether Lupita would win or Jennifer Lawrence.

5 hours ago, truthaboutluv said:

lol, that's what Eddie Murphy did when he lost Supporting Actor for Dreamgirls. And unlike Angela, Eddie won everything that year, including SAG. He did lose BAFTA though (wasn't even nominated actually), which Alan Arkin won and who eventually won the Oscar. Pity SAG wasn't two days before voting that year.

But yeah, everyone considered Eddie a lock that year and when he didn't win, which happened early in the night, as Supporting categories tend to be, he said, "fuck this shit" and peaced out.

I think he was a lock up to a certain point, and then he wasn't. I'm unsure, but I think some controversy happened before the awards. I remember reading about how some believed that Alan Arkin might win. It's why I wasn't surprised when he did. 

5 hours ago, truthaboutluv said:

IMO, Austin's campaigning was no different than many people. No, what happened is that very quickly, some jumped on a narrative about him, used said narrative to criticize him and it took on a life of its own. Yes, I'm talking about the voice thing. Honestly, I think at one point it just became a corny ass talking point that everyone jumped on. The easy and cheap joke bandwagon. 

Yeah, I think the whole thing about the Elvis voice was overblown. Call me naive, but I believed his explanation about it being hard to drop after doing it for so long.

4 hours ago, MicheleinPhilly said:

But what's really interesting to me is that there is all of this talk about "thirsty" campaigning in this thread and this is the first mention I've seen of this. I think. I'm old. I could have read it 2 days ago and forgotten already. 👵

I know that campaigning is a thing, but I never usually consider it "thirsty" unless it rises to the level of Lady Gaga and the weird stuff she did last year.

58 minutes ago, KatWay said:

like other users said, everyone's campaiging. Some more than others, but if you're nominated, you're probably campaigning one way or the other. It's not just yourself you're promoting, it's also the film, so studios will often push for it too, films make more money after they're awarded.

the trick is to seem eager but not too eager, and what works for one person might not work for another, because a lot depends on their pre-existing image etc. A Frances McDormand campaigns completely differently than a Jamie Lee Curtis. I'm sure there's entire PR teams behind the scenes figuring out the best strategies and it's STILL a crapshoot - media narratives (especially in the age of social media) can take on a life of their own, personal business often mixes into it. It's all subjective after all.

and sorry but suggesting that everyone who doesn't win should leave just makes me imagine an almost empty room by the end of the show lol, that's a funny image. A lone clap by the janitor for the winning film. Kinda goes against the whole justification for this award show circuits, to celebrate film as an art form - no, fuck films, celebrate ME or I'm outta here! lol

I agree. I think it would be selfish if you got up and left because you didn't win. That's sore loser behavior. Plus, it seems selfish, especially when you're supposed to be there not only to support yourself but your film. I think AB is smart enough to know how her walking out would have looked, but I also assume she stayed to support the other Black Panther nominees.

• Like 6
11 minutes ago, slowpoked said:

Not knocking you slowpoked, but is this really that noteworthy? I know with COVID and everything, the years seem double in length, but 2017 was not that long ago. It also seems less impressive since three of the winners are from the same movie.

• Like 1
  • LOL 3

This will sound like a very un-hip comment, but I was bothered by the "it's funny to take drugs" comments by Jimmy Kimmel and Elizabeth Banks -- giving mushrooms from Seth Rogan to Steven Spielberg; Elizabeth Banks making the cocaine comment about the after-parties.  I'm sure there were others.  I realize that drugs are prevalent in Hollywood, but with so many heartaches and losses to drug addiction (in Hollywood and very close to home), I just don't think it's funny or necessary for the viewership to hear kidding around about taking drugs.  Plus it's lazy, cheap humor about a very serious problem IMO.  

• Like 1
5 hours ago, FilmTVGeek80 said:

I think he was a lock up to a certain point, and then he wasn't. I'm unsure, but I think some controversy happened before the awards. I remember reading about how some believed that Alan Arkin might win. It's why I wasn't surprised when he did. 

The "controversy" was that the studio behind his film Norbit, got the great idea to pggyback off his Oscar campaign and release the film. Except it was god-awful. Like truly one of the worse movies ever and many pundits quickly concluded that it would likely derail his campaign because voters might not want to vote for someone who would also do a movie this stupid. It's similar to why many believe that no matter how much critical praise he gets for some of his recent roles, Adam Sandler will probably never get an Oscar nomination.

Same thing with Jim Carrey some years ago when he had a string of successes with Truman Show and Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind and never got an Oscar nomination. Eddie at least got the nomination because at that point while yes, he'd been known for comedic roles, he'd had many critically successful films under his belt. But yeah, Norbit was embarrassingly bad. 

5 hours ago, FilmTVGeek80 said:

Yeah, I think the whole thing about the Elvis voice was overblown. Call me naive, but I believed his explanation about it being hard to drop after doing it for so long.

It was also reported that he had some slight vocal damage from the singing he did in the film. 

Edited by truthaboutluv
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • Useful 2
5 hours ago, slowpoked said:

es, she did. It was a Vogue article she shared on her IG. She deleted it shortly afterwards. Probably because it could possibly be construed as campaign violations as well - mentioning other nominees' name.

I tend to think that someone handling her online presence hit the share button by accident.  I've done that more than once. Same with all the Riseborough kerfluffle, there was a lot of sharing without a lot of shall we say thought process.  Not saying she didn't deserve a nomination mind you, just saying that the staff working behind was doing overtime on that.  

• Like 1
53 minutes ago, CherryMalotte said:

I tend to think that someone handling her online presence hit the share button by accident.  I've done that more than once. Same with all the Riseborough kerfluffle, there was a lot of sharing without a lot of shall we say thought process.  Not saying she didn't deserve a nomination mind you, just saying that the staff working behind was doing overtime on that.  

It wasn't just a link to the article that was shared. There were literally multiple slides of screencaps of various parts of the article. 

2 hours ago, FilmTVGeek80 said:

Not knocking you slowpoked, but is this really that noteworthy? I know with COVID and everything, the years seem double in length, but 2017 was not that long ago. It also seems less impressive since three of the winners are from the same movie.

I posted it with the same idea as the "Number of Oscars W/O Any Incident since 2022 - One."

Seriously though, it does feel like every year there's an obligatory biopic/based-on-real-life character winner. I was actually a bit surprised it was just as far back as 2017 - I thought it would be much longer than that. But I guess we'll always have the obligatory biopic/based-on-a-real-life character nominee - it may just not be a guaranteed winner.

Edited by slowpoked
  • Like 1
3 hours ago, truthaboutluv said:

It's similar to why many believe that no matter how much critical praise he gets for some of his recent roles, Adam Sandler will probably never get an Oscar nomination.

Adam Sandler is such a weird case. Your right, it seems like critics and award nominators would probably never give him any kind of attention. But at the same time there seem to be a ton of legit talented and award winning dramatic actors who seem to love working with him: Henry Winkler, Al Pacino, Kathy Bates, John Turturro, Jack Nicholson, Nicole Kidman and Peter Dinklage. Steve Buscemi has been in 14 Sandler movies. So it does seem weird that these people like working with him but he can't get the academy to even give him a bit of attention.

• Like 2

I found Hugh Grant's and Angela Bassett's reactions refreshing. In a business that thrives on phoniness, Grant and Ms. Bassett kept it real. Ashley Graham's interview style was even more cringeworthy than her outfit-it's the OSCARS, not the Grammys-and Grant not only wasn't having it, she's also lucky he tolerated her for as long as he did. 

As for Angela Bassett, I think that part of the reason for her reaction is that this was her first Oscar nomination in 30 years and she's probably thinks that it might be her last, not that she needs the Academy's validation, but it would've been nice. Besides, Michael B. Jordan and Jonathan Majors giving Angela her flowers is a sweet (and hot!) consolation prize.  💐

Edited by DollEyes
  • Like 7
4 hours ago, Kel Varnsen said:

Adam Sandler is such a weird case. Your right, it seems like critics and award nominators would probably never give him any kind of attention. But at the same time there seem to be a ton of legit talented and award winning dramatic actors who seem to love working with him: Henry Winkler, Al Pacino, Kathy Bates, John Turturro, Jack Nicholson, Nicole Kidman and Peter Dinklage. Steve Buscemi has been in 14 Sandler movies. So it does seem weird that these people like working with him but he can't get the academy to even give him a bit of attention.

I wonder if the tide is starting to turn on Adam Sandler's case. Despite his critical successes, I think this year's nomination for Hustle was his first SAG nomination. I know that SAG nominations don't always match up (obviously, since Sandler and others didn't get nominated for Oscars). Still, if the SAG-AFTRA members are more open to giving him a nomination, maybe the Academy will be, too, especially since the members are becoming more diverse and younger.

12 hours ago, buttersister said:

I'm old enough to remember when those split screens of nominees were treated like the true best acting categories--based on losers' faces turning happy when their names were not announced. 

I remember that.  I also remember Ron Howard being asked about the awards season in an interview, and he said he practiced his losing face and made them say a different name so he could show exactly what losing graciously looks like.  Apparently it’s not mandatory.

Edited by Crs97
  • Like 4
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, Crs97 said:

I remember that.  I also remember Ron Howard being asked about the awards season in an interview, and he said he practiced his losing face and made them say a different name so he could show exactly what losing graciously looks like.  Apparently it’s not mandatory.

Great story, and points out that "losing gracefully" serves the loser well. It's a business decision when you get down to it. You want your future potential colleagues to see you as a team player, not a prima donna; you want your reputation out there in the moviegoing world--and hence your box office potential--to be that of a likable sort.

• Like 6

I finally saw The Whale last night and I can honestly say Brendan Fraser deserved that award. He was amazing. Its one of those movies I will keep thinking about. Reviews were just okay so I was going into it kind of like "let's see". I really enjoyed it. 

I liked it better than EEAAO which I didn't really get. 

• Like 2
15 hours ago, truthaboutluv said:

It wasn't just a link to the article that was shared. There were literally multiple slides of screencaps of various parts of the article. 

Eh, once I actually read the article - thanks @NUguy514! - I wasn't really bothered by it. It's one of thousands of "think" pieces that have been written in the last 6 months and wasn't nearly as egregious as I thought it was. 

Was it a rule violation? I don't know, I guess. But as was stated, she deleted it quickly. And I find it hard to believe that many Oscar voters are taking their cues on who to vote for from Vogue magazine. 

At the end of the day, it's all a subjective choice. I'm happy for all of the winners and hope this leads to greater opportunities for them. 

Edited by MicheleinPhilly
Spelling. AGAIN. Damn it, Michele!
  • Like 3
15 hours ago, buttersister said:

I'm old enough to remember when those split screens of nominees were treated like the true best acting categories--based on losers' faces turning happy when their names were not announced. 

You mean, kinda like this:

giphy.gif

• LOL 10
56 minutes ago, MicheleinPhilly said:

Eh, once I actually read the article - thanks @NUguy514! - I wasn't really bothered by it. It's one of thousands of "think" pieces that have been written in the last 6 months and wasn't nearly as egregious as I thought it was. 

Was it a rule violation? I don't know, I guess. But as was stated, she deleted it quickly. And I find it hard to believe that many Oscar voters are taking their cues on who to vote for from Vogue magazine. 

At the end of the day, it's all a subjective choice. I'm happy for all of the winners and hope this leads to greater opportunities for them. 

I never said the article was egregious or there was any rule violation or it had anything to do with her eventual win. My point was to illustrate how almost all, if not all, the nominees campaign but some are labeled "thirsty," while others get labeled "charming." 

My point is that in my opinion, Austin Butler was no more thirsty than Michelle Yeoh but to some she was adorable and rootable all award season long. Hell, some even thought her damn near threatening to beat the lady up for playing her off (even though she wasn't the one) at the Globes was "cute." And I'm sure some will say well she had the age factor, plus being a minority, etc. while Austin is just some good looking 31 year old white guy. Fair enough. But that still doesn't change the fact she too wanted that Oscar BAD and so if he was thirsty, so was she. 

In keeping with the Best Actor, was Brendan Fraser "thirsty" too with all that narrative about how Hollywood had supposedly turned its back on him, even though a quick search of IMDB would show Brendan was working fairly regularly for many years, not to mention being part of the massive Mummy franchise. But that's the narrative they went with - the "big comeback" story. 

So that's really the only point I am making. All of these people want to win and why the hell shouldn't they? They worked hard, they gave a lot of themselves and while some would like to pretend to be above it all, that it's "just about the work," there is something to be said for feeling like your hard work is celebrated.

So I don't begrudge any of these people wanting to win. I just hate how it's acceptable for some to want to win and others are "thirsty." Poor Anne Hathaway practically became the most hated woman online when she dared to make it clear she wanted to win that Oscar for Les Misérables. And now many of the same people who were total assholes about her back then are all, "why did we hate Anne Hathaway again? Can't remember." 

Edited by truthaboutluv
  • Like 6
  • Applause 3
11 hours ago, DollEyes said:

I found Hugh Grant's and Angela Bassett's reactions refreshing. In a business that thrives on phoniness, Grant and Ms. Bassett kept it real. Ashley Graham's interview style was even more cringeworthy than her outfit-it's the OSCARS, not the Grammys-and Grant not only wasn't having it, she's also lucky he tolerated her for as long as he did. 

If he's not up for small, silly talk, can't he just skip the red (or champagne) carpet altogether? It's an awards show, not a panel on world literature and history or a forum on world economics! Of course, most questions will border on the silly and shallow. No one is going to ask about the latest theorem on quantum physics or a treatise on world peace. Some stars just go straight to the auditorium if they don't want to be bothered too much by everything that's going on at the carpet.

14 hours ago, Kel Varnsen said:

I was actually surprised that Hustle is his first SAG nom. I thought he was nominated previously for Uncut Gems. I was going to make the argument that Adam seems beloved by his fellow actors, but for some reason cannot breakthrough with the other cohorts in the industry. A24 spent a ton of money on campaigning for  him that it probably undercut its budget for The Farewell campaign and missed out on a possible Supporting nomination for Shu Zhen Zhao who was phenomenal in the movie. 

I was glad he didn't get nominated for Uncut Gems because it's such an Oscar-begging baity role - well-known comedian acting all gangster and tough and cursing out every two seconds. But I really liked and enjoyed him in Hustle, that was a well-earned nomination among his peers. If he was ever close to an Oscar nom and just barely missed out, it should have been for Punch Drunk Love.

• Like 2

So much shit has been flung at various actresses (and it's always at actresses) since the telecast, and I just want to say that social media is the provenance of idiots.

Yes, Jamie Lee Curtis is a nepo baby, but she has been working in this industry for over 45 years and is beloved in the industry (seriously, she is so popular) and was a huge cheerleader for her film and everyone involved.  Her performance was also really fun and great; contrary to current, popular, reactionary sentiment, this is not the worst Oscar win of all time.  Like, at all.  Leave her alone.

Yes, Angela Bassett was disappointed not to win.  Of course she was disappointed.  However, she is not some giant asshole like Eddie Murphy or Burt Reynolds and did actually stand for Curtis – you can see it in one of the wide shots – and was smiling at the end of Curtis's speech.  Leave her alone.

Yes, Cate Blanchett was also disappointed not to win.  However, she stood almost as quickly as Andrea Riseborough and Ana de Armas to cheer for Michelle Yeoh.  She has two Oscars, is the most acclaimed actor of her generation, and doesn't need anyone attacking other actors on her behalf.  Leave her alone.

Yes, Michelle Yeoh tweeted an article full of truth.  This was not a slam against Cate Blanchett, and she was right to acknowledge how momentous her win is. Her win is historic, and she would not have won had her performance not been truly incredible.  Leave her alone.

I know I'm mostly preaching to the choir here, but it's just been so ugly elsewhere.

This example of incredible sisterhood was really one of my favorite things about the telecast:

AA18yisx.img?h=630&w=1200&m=6&q=60&o=t&l

the-presenters-of-the-academy-award-for-

michelle-yeoh-and-halle-berry-are-the-on

michelle-yeoh-halle-berry-mc-230313-02-f

So moving to see.

• Like 10
  • Applause 11
  • Love 3
3 hours ago, Crs97 said:

I also remember Ron Howard being asked about the awards season in an interview, and he said he practiced his losing face and made them say a different name so he could show exactly what losing graciously looks like.

Well, he did learn, as Opie Taylor, all about how not to be a sore loser on an episode of The Andy Griffith Show. 

• LOL 14
1 hour ago, truthaboutluv said:

I never said the article was egregious or there was any rule violation or it had anything to do with her eventual win.

I wasn't implying that you did. I was talking about MY knee jerk reaction when I read what she had done. And once I had more information, I changed my opinion. 

Apologies that I didn't make that clear. 

• Like 2
1 hour ago, NUguy514 said:

So moving to see

Aside from Halle crying while hugging Michelle, these were my other favorites:

FrEen1aWIAMtLIP1.thumb.jpg.608d69a7c4eb9f2b309d363dd9a1efe0.jpg

gettyimages-1248111465-2048x20481.jpg.8fb7cb9528d135c6e09e79211367e5b4.jpg

Let's hope it's not another 20+ years before we see another POC lead actress win the Oscars. People said back at the time that Halle's win will open doors for more POC wins, but since Halle, POC wins have mostly been relegated to Supporting roles. 

• Like 10
  • Love 3
1 hour ago, NUguy514 said:

This example of incredible sisterhood was really one of my favorite things about the telecast:

Yes! For the past couple of days, I've been thinking that moving forward, I'd like the Academy to have the previous year's Best Actress (and Best Supporting Actress) winner present the Oscar(s) to the new recipient(s). I realize that the stars kind of aligned leading up to Halle Berry's being on stage for Michelle Yeoh's historic win, making Sunday night's presentation something truly special, but I believe the spirit of sisterhood would be wonderful to see each year. Not to mention, no woman would ever again have to make an instantaneous decision about how to deal with being accosted like this:

Screenshot_20230315_130801_DuckDuckGo.jpg

• Applause 6

In keeping with the Best Actor, was Brendan Fraser "thirsty" too with all that narrative about how Hollywood had supposedly turned its back on him, even though a quick search of IMDB would show Brendan was working fairly regularly for many years, not to mention being part of the massive Mummy franchise. But that's the narrative they went with - the "big comeback" story. 

I don't think the "comeback" narrative was a lie. You mention The Mummy franchise, but that's not the period he's been referring to. He went from starring in blockbusters like that then, for almost a decade appearing in smaller movies in supporting roles or tv shows I've never even heard of. Before <i>Doom Patrol</i> and <i>The Whale</i> he was one of those actors I wondered what happened to

3 hours ago, slowpoked said:

I was glad he didn't get nominated for Uncut Gems because it's such an Oscar-begging baity role - well-known comedian acting all gangster and tough and cursing out every two seconds.

<i>Uncut Gems</i> was such a small movie. I can't imagine he immediately thought Oscar. Plus, the character isn't a tough gangster. He's a wannabe tough guy who basically gets pushed around the whole movie. If any role of his was Oscar-baity it was <i>Reign Over Me</i>.

1 hour ago, ProudMary said:

Yes! For the past couple of days, I've been thinking that moving forward, I'd like the Academy to have the previous year's Best Actress (and Best Supporting Actress) winner present the Oscar(s) to the new recipient(s). I realize that the stars kind of aligned leading up to Halle Berry's being on stage for Michelle Yeoh's historic win, making Sunday night's presentation something truly special, but I believe the spirit of sisterhood would be wonderful to see each year. Not to mention, no woman would ever again have to make an instantaneous decision about how to deal with being accosted like this:

Screenshot_20230315_130801_DuckDuckGo.jpg

That happened one time. And, given the reaction that some people have to it now, there's pretty much zero chance it will happen again. Plus, if that were an actual fear then no man could be allowed to present in any category where a woman might be a winner.

• Like 3
4 hours ago, truthaboutluv said:

Fraser’s comeback narrative is because he was blacklisted for years after speaking out about being sexually assaulted by the then president of the Hollywood Foreign Press. He only started to get acclaimed roles again post #MeToo. He refused to even go to the Golden Globes despite being nominated because they were put on by the HFP. 

44 minutes ago, Dani said:

Fraser’s comeback narrative is because he was blacklisted for years after speaking out about being sexually assaulted by the then president of the Hollywood Foreign Press. He only started to get acclaimed roles again post #MeToo. He refused to even go to the Golden Globes despite being nominated because they were put on by the HFP. 

I remember all the stories about what happened to him because he was everywhere for awhile. I always felt bad for him. I am so glad he is back where he belongs. 

• Like 7

For the record, I am aware of Brendan's situation regarding the Golden Globes and the former HFPA President and yes, his reasons for not attending this year's ceremony.

That said, when The Whale first premiered at the film festivals and his award season campaign began, if you will, how things were widely being reported is that he'd gained weight, had some personal struggles and that Hollywood turned its back on him during that period.

Not necessarily that he reported the sexual misconduct and he was blackballed for that. Not saying that isn't what happened, just saying that's not how I remember the narrative first being framed when the campaign for The Whale began. 

• Like 3
1 minute ago, truthaboutluv said:

That said, when The Whale first premiered at the film festivals and his award season campaign began, if you will, how things were widely being reported is that he'd gained weight, had some personal struggles and that Hollywood turned its back on him during that period.

Not necessarily that he reported the sexual misconduct and he was blackballed for that. Not saying that isn't what happened, just saying that's not how I remember the narrative first being framed when the campaign for The Whale began. 

That's what I recall reading and seeing as well.

On 3/13/2023 at 12:35 AM, FilmTVGeek80 said:

I guess we feel what we feel, but I'm not sure why she was stunned. Disappointed? Sure. Upset? Okay. But after losing the SAG, this should not have come out of left field to her. Did no one on her team read any entertainment media? Other than supporting actor, no acting category was considered a lock. That would be like Cate Blanchett being shocked she lost.

She should have practiced her gracious face and clapped for a fellow actor instead of looking resentful. Not cool…

• Like 3
39 minutes ago, truthaboutluv said:

For the record, I am aware of Brendan's situation regarding the Golden Globes and the former HFPA President and yes, his reasons for not attending this year's ceremony.

I heard about the sexual assault at least 3-4 years ago. 

• Like 2
50 minutes ago, Milburn Stone said:

Maybe a step on Fraser's comeback trail was his featured recurring role in the prestige Showtime drama The Affair. (Back when people watched Showtime.) He was a scary heavy in that.

I didn't realize he was in that though, I never saw it. I remember him being heavy then. 

Edited by libgirl2
7 hours ago, libgirl2 said:

I finally saw The Whale last night and I can honestly say Brendan Fraser deserved that award. He was amazing. Its one of those movies I will keep thinking about. Reviews were just okay so I was going into it kind of like "let's see". I really enjoyed it. 

I liked it better than EEAAO which I didn't really get. 

Me, too! I streamed five or six Best Pictures plus The Whale over the weekend but ran out of time for All Quiet... and Triangle of Sadness (although the latter doesn't sound like I missed much); when it comes to Avatar and Top Gun I'm not interested in those. The last one I watched was EEAAO and just don't feel it was worthy of so many awards. Out of all the ones I saw, the one that's really stuck with me is the quietly powerful Women Talking. so I was so glad it at least won Best Adapted Screenplay.

• Like 2
7 minutes ago, Scout Finch said:

Me, too! I streamed five or six Best Pictures plus The Whale over the weekend but ran out of time for All Quiet... and Triangle of Sadness (although the latter doesn't sound like I missed much); when it comes to Avatar and Top Gun I'm not interested in those. The last one I watched was EEAAO and just don't feel it was worthy of so many awards. Out of all the ones I saw, the one that's really stuck with me is the quietly powerful Women Talking. so I was so glad it at least won Best Adapted Screenplay.

I liked All Quiet but the silent version was better, but it was still very gritty and depressing. I'm not interesting in Avatar and Top Gun either. Never saw the first ones.

I'm glad I'm not the only who didn't get EEAAO, great acting but weird. Women is on my list to see. 

1 hour ago, libgirl2 said:

I heard about the sexual assault at least 3-4 years ago. 

I'd heard about the assault a long time ago, but I know I recall hearing about it again since The Whale came out, along with everything else - the personal struggles, the issues with injuries from his action movie days, the weight gain. Maybe it depends on what publications you're reading and/or programs you're watching.

• Like 4
18 hours ago, truthaboutluv said:

It probably just viewing different sources but that’s not the narrative I saw. I became aware of The Whale not long before it premiered at Venice and everything I saw was focused on him being blacklisted for the assault. It stood out to me because I hadn’t heard about the allegations when he first talked about it and mentions of it when everyone was so happy for him caused me to look it up. 

17 hours ago, chediavolo said:

She should have practiced her gracious face and clapped for a fellow actor instead of looking resentful. Not cool…

There is so much happening in that moment I can’t begrudge her not slapping the fake happiness on her face. I’d rather see the genuine reaction than a phony reaction. 

2 hours ago, Enigma X said:

Why did people think Matt Damon was in the Cocaine Bear suit? Is he even in that movie? That went above my head.

Matt Damon and Jimmy Kimmel are really good friends - it's similar to Justin Timberlake and Jimmy Fallon. And part of their friendship is playing up this fake feud, where Kimmel is always "dragging" Matt and Matt's always getting him back in some way. 

When Kimmel hosted the Emmys some years ago, Matt showed up onstage to make fun of Jimmy's losing his category. When Jimmy hosted the Oscars the last time, there was the funny bit where when Matt and Ben Affleck were presenting a category, Jimmy kept directing the orchestra to play Matt off. 

So people just expected Matt to show up in some humorous way because Jimmy was hosting again. 

Edited by truthaboutluv
  • Like 3
  • Useful 1

I noticed I never commented on the Hugh Grant/Ashley Graham situation. In my opinion, two things can be true here - Ashley Graham SUCKS at interviewing people and needs to not do it and two, Hugh was being a pompous, pretentious little shit. 

People like Ashley Graham show why, despite how some drag him for supposedly being annoying, Ryan Seacrest was damn good at what he did with the red carpet stuff. Because people like her, Laverne Cox and others give new meaning to the word cringe. Laverne and her never ending, "what story are we telling with this outfit" will never not be ridiculous to me, especially when she's interviewing a guy who you just know threw on some suit their stylist picked out for them.

Actually there was a hilarious exchange between her and Austin Butler in that very vein. Poor Austin looked so confused by this "what story are you telling with this look" question. I about fell out laughing though when he went, "umm, YSL.."

Back to Hugh Grant, as I said, for the most part I like Hugh Grant well enough but there was definitely that element of "so above this" attitude from him. And one, Hugh Grant didn't HAVE to attend the Oscars, since he wasn't nominated for anything and if I'm not mistaken, wasn't in anything that was nominated (well I guess there was his brief cameo in Knives Out: Glass Onion). And even if he did attend, he didn't HAVE to do the red carpet interviews. He could have skipped it. So like kindly miss me with the pretentious attitude. 

But what got me was all the comments online from people going, "he was just being British. That's just who we Brits are. It wasn't rude, it's called being British." I got the impression they were saying it as if this was somehow acceptable or a good thing and it's like "yeah this isn't giving what you all think it's giving." Unless the point is to say Brits are rude assholes and somehow that's okay because they're British. It's not. 

Edited by truthaboutluv
  • Applause 8
39 minutes ago, truthaboutluv said:

People like Ashley Graham show why, despite how some drag him for supposedly being annoying, Ryan Seacrest was damn good at what he did with the red carpet stuff. Because people like her, Laverne Cox and others give new meaning to the word cringe. Laverne and her never ending, "what story are we telling with this outfit" will never not be ridiculous to me, especially when she's interviewing a guy who you just know threw on some suit their stylist picked out for them.

Actually there was a hilarious exchange between her and Austin Butler in that very vein. Poor Austin looked so confused by this "what story you're telling with this look" question. I about fell out laughing though when he went, "umm, YSL.."

I only turned the red carpet coverage on like 15-20 minutes before the show so only saw a couple of interviews but I was horrified when Ashley asked Austin something to the effect of "I was hoping to see you with arm candy. Where's so-and-so?"

Like, what? How is that an appropriate question? 

I wish ABC would go back to having Robin Roberts on the carpet. I'd even endure Michael Strahan for a few hours if I had to. 

• Like 10
1 hour ago, truthaboutluv said:

So people just expected Matt to show in some humorous way because Jimmy was hosting again. 

One of Jimmy’s writers said on a podcast yesterday that someone else was supposed to be in the suit but dropped out last minute. He never specified who is was so it may have been Matt.

But what got me was all the comments online from people going, "he was just being British. That's just who we Brits are. It wasn't rude, it's called being British." I got the impression they were saying it as if this was somehow acceptable or a good thing and it's like "yeah this isn't giving what you all think it's giving." Unless the point is to say Brits are rude assholes and somehow that's okay because they're British. It's not. 

I agree it's not ok. Emily Blunt is British but has never been that rude on the carpet, or when talking to anyone. British in general have a very dry sense of humor, yes, but not all of them are outright rude. IMO there's a way to handle these things still coming out as "British" but not rude. Hugh's right, he's just a stodgy old scrotum.

Although I did love the FWAAF reunion with Andie. I wished there was a little snippet of FWAAF movie before they came out, kinda like what they did last year with Pulp Fiction, White Men Can Jump, etc. - evokes good feelings and memories. But I understand they're really being conscious with time management this year. One subtle but probably significant change was that they did away with presenters for the BP nominees and went straight to a short trailer coming from a commercial break. Saved 10-15mins. 

I hope to see more reunions next year, and doesn't even have to be Oscar films or nominees. Just really popular movies that aged well with time that more people remember and can relate to, with some memorable casts and/or pairings. Who wouldn't want to see Julia Roberts/Cameron Diaz presenting together? Or Paul Rudd/Alicia Silverstone? Or Rachel McAdams/Lindsey Lohan?

Edited by slowpoked
  • Like 3

When Jimmy hosted the Oscars the last time, there was the funny bit where when Matt and Ben Affleck were presenting a category, Jimmy kept directing the orchestra to play Matt off. 

I laughed when the announcer introduced them as ".....Ben Affleck and guest."

• LOL 6
On 3/13/2023 at 5:10 PM, slowpoked said:

Eeep, even this one dropped the ball - you have Naomi Judd and Loretta Lynn in there but not Christine McVie?!

On 3/14/2023 at 12:27 AM, yowsah1 said:

Judd and Lynn were members of the Academy and have worked in movies (Judd was an actress for a while, although obviously not as successful in that field as her daughter Ashley).  McVie was not a member of the Academy and has never (to my knowledge) worked in movies, hence she was not featured.

Yeah, Christine McVie is/was perhaps my favorite musician, but I'm not aware of any work she did specifically for film that would have required her inclusion. Did she do uncredited backup vocals on "Holiday Road"?

• Like 1
6 hours ago, truthaboutluv said:

People like Ashley Graham show why, despite how some drag him for supposedly being annoying, Ryan Seacrest was damn good at what he did with the red carpet stuff

Seacrest was the best Red Carpet interviewer, hands down. He was relaxed and natural with all the celebrities. Because he wears so many hats in the entertainment industry, he knows most everyone and the celebs all seemed to like him. No one else comes close to doing what Ryan did. With the very notable exception of Ashley Graham, most of the other ABC crew did a respectable job. They didn't make me cringe.

Regarding Christine McVie's In Memoriam absence: She never appeared before the cameras as anything but herself, a musician. From what I can see, she wasn't associated with any particular film or TV production. OTOH, she was one of the main musicians highlighted during The Grammys' In Memoriam segment, with Mick Fleetwood even being fully involved in the tribute. That was exactly as it should be. I know many people don't bother watching The Grammys anymore, so here's the video of their recent tribute for those who may not have seen it. 

As for Naomi Judd and Loretta Lynn, each of them had done some acting and in Loretta Lynn's case, she herself was the subject of an Oscar-winning (Best Actress, Sissy Spacek) film. The film itself garnered 7 nominations that year, including Best Picture.

• Like 4