Type keyword(s) to search

The Annual Academy Awards - General Discussion

• Start Topic

3 minutes ago, superdeluxe said:

Angela Bassett should’ve won.  And that’s all I’ll say about this weak edition of the Oscars.

I like Jamie Lee Curtis but I wanted Angela to win.  I still think she was robbed 30 years ago.  I felt so bad for her when JLC was announced, she just sat there with this stunned look and didn’t even try to pretend to look happy for JLC.  

• Like 7
5 minutes ago, LennieBriscoe said:

Raise your hand if you've actually watched the entire "EEAAO" and "The Whale." I've  read of theater-goers walking out of both. 

The 3-person "The Whale," with supposedly the "Best Actor" amongst them, couldn't  get itself nominated for "Best Picture." How does THAT work?? (Yes, twice before. Not exactly ringing support, considering history.)

I watched EEAAO twice. I watched it first and thought maybe my husband would like it. I watched it with him the next day. I wanted to see The Whale but wasn't going to pay 19.99 to own a movie I'm not sure I'll like. But I'll definitely see it at some point.

I don't know the correlation between giving an Oscar-winning performance and the movie not being nominated. He won for his performance. IMO your movie could be complete shit, and you should still be worthy long as your performance is good.

• Like 15
1 hour ago, Bastet said:

I never for a moment expected Maverick and Charlie to still be together, so I didn't mind her absence, but Penny was an absolutely pointless character that a bland performance to match certainly didn't help, so why couldn't he just be unattached?

This is literally the first time I've heard anyone crap on Jennifer in the movie, Penny as a character or their chemistry let alone with so many people. This is bizarro world.

Not saying any opinion is wrong. But, most people would agree that was the most chemistry Tom showed with a woman in a very long time. She also had such a fun and light presence. It was just sweet to me.

I don't give a damn how simplistic Maverick was deemed. I always love movies I actually give a shit about being represented at the Oscars. I didn't even see it in the theater. But, I laughed, cried, smiled and was thrilled. It's why I love movies. There should always be space for that among the somber weepfests or overwrought character studies. You can have all of that. I feel like everything everywhere was vastly entertaining and thrilling while also being well acted, directed and written. But, I'm glad Maverick is up there.

• Like 4
9 minutes ago, LennieBriscoe said:

Raise your hand if you've actually watched the entire "EEAAO"

Twice. First one in the theaters. And I knew I needed to watch it again because I was sitting in the front row in a small theatre, and the whole multi-universe gave me a headache, being that close to all the action scenes.

Second time I watched in the luxury of a hotel room, where I fully understood it, and appreciated it more. Now that it has won BP, I’ll be watching it again.

• Like 8
  • Love 2
4 minutes ago, blackwing said:

I like Jamie Lee Curtis but I wanted Angela to win.  I still think she was robbed 30 years ago.  I felt so bad for her when JLC was announced, she just sat there with this stunned look and didn’t even try to pretend to look happy for JLC.  

I guess we feel what we feel, but I'm not sure why she was stunned. Disappointed? Sure. Upset? Okay. But after losing the SAG, this should not have come out of left field to her. Did no one on her team read any entertainment media? Other than supporting actor, no acting category was considered a lock. That would be like Cate Blanchett being shocked she lost.

• Like 10
  • Love 1

I loved Top Gun Maverick. The Val Kilmer piece had me in tears. I’ve never seen Jennifer Connolly give a bad performance.

I thought the show tonight was decent. Better than recent years. Loved Gaga and Kravitz. 

• Like 2

Why was Morgan Freeman looking like the Cream of Wheat Man/Mr. Gilbert from the corner candy store?

Angela definitely had an I'll be damned! look when JLC was announced the winner.

Silently screamed when Brendan won, I liked and related to The Whale movie.

Now EEAAO?  I sat there, mouth agape....UO, but I didn’t know what the bluedilly fuck I was watching, it was so bad.  Was happy for JLC though.  Maybe MY will shut up now; another UO but she rubbed me the wrong way regarding the deleted re-tweet of the possibility of Cate Blanchett winning another Oscar.

Edited by Yogisbooboo64
  • Like 3
  • Applause 1
5 minutes ago, FilmTVGeek80 said:

I guess we feel what we feel, but I'm not sure why she was stunned. Disappointed? Sure. Upset? Okay. But after losing the SAG, this should not have come out of left field to her. Did no one on her team read any entertainment media? Other than supporting actor, no acting category was considered a lock. That would be like Cate Blanchett being shocked she lost.

SAG really changed the momentum, didn’t it? Before it, I was sure that Cate was going to win, and I started readying myself to be disappointed for Michelle Yeoh. Before SAG, Cate won all head-to-head matchups. I also thought Austin had ever the slightest edge.  

• Like 4
29 minutes ago, gingerella said:

Best Dressed woman: Cara Delevigne.        Her red dress is everything I want to see at The Oscar's. And her bling was perfect for that dress. She was the epitome old Hollywood elegance. 

I loved it too.

1 hour ago, WendyCR72 said:

No love for "Blast From The Past"? 😋Brendan has come a LONG way.

I love Bedazzled.  If you think about it, he played like 7 roles, quite an acting feat.  And of course I love Encino Man.  I love Blast from the Past and Mrs. Winterbourne too.  Just a lot of good movies.

• Like 13
1 hour ago, mojoween said:

Everything I’ve seen so far shows that it is Not For Me, so I’ll just take all of everyone else’s words for it that it’s a good one.

I mean I love Everything… but I’m not surprised when someone says they hated it. I was surprised my wife liked it. I thought it’d be too weird for her. The last movie we saw in theatres before the pandemic was Parasite and she loathed it and made fun of me for liking it. Pointing out it won Best Picture did little to slow her down. 

Anyway, see Everything… but if the idea of a movie that throws in eighteen insane ideas every ten minutes isn’t your thing you probably won’t like it. 

• Like 7

I’m still super thrilled for Michelle Yeoh’s win! I still can’t believe she did it. Cate was a behemoth coming into tonight, and she slayed the dragon. 

And for the first ever self-identified Asian woman to win Lead Actress, you really couldn’t do any better than Michelle. Hopefully, this opens more doors and discoveries to amazing Asian actresses out there - Maggie Cheung (who unfortunately has retired), Gong Li, Jeon Do Yeon, Son Ye Jin, Jaclyn Jose, etc. Asia has an incredible depth of amazing acting talent. 

• Like 9

Awww!

Watching Ke Huy Quan's speech again. I missed it the first time - probably due to all the sobbing from...someone - but there was a Goonies shoutout! He thanked Jeff Cohen (Chunk.) My 80's girl heart exploded again (though minor quibble, I wish he had shouted out the whole gang, but I guess Jeff is who he's closest to. Still a sweet moment, regardless.)

• Like 6
  • Love 7

Five of the Best Picture nominees went home empty-handed: The Banshees of Inisherin, Elvis, The Fabelmans, Tar, Triangle of Sadness. Wow.

I guess that's what happens when two of the films gobble up the bulk of the awards! (EEAAO took 7, AQOTWF took 4.) Avatar: The Way of Water, Top Gun: Maverick, and Women Talking each took one. Of non-Best Picture nominees, The Whale took two, Wakanda Forever and RRR each took one. 

Edited by ProudMary
Damn autocorrect!
  • Like 3
  • Useful 2
3 minutes ago, argrow said:

Jeff is actually an entertainment lawyer now who negotiated Ke Huy Quan's contract for EEAAO.

Ohhhh! I knew he was a lawyer, but I didn't know he worked in the entertainment field. That's so cool! The specific shout-out makes more sense now!

• Like 2

Saw the photo of all the acting winners together that is usually always taken and it reminded me of another connection: Michelle and Brendan worked together before in the third Mummy film.  I bet this particular group of winners will have a lot to talk about and catch back up during all the post-award stuff!

• Like 12

They couldn't add 5 seconds to the In Memoriam segment for Topol?

Ke Huy Quan is adorable. I want to love him and hold him and squeeze him to death. 

Loved that Jamie Lee gave a shoutout to all the geeks in the world. Glad I own Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon. Streaming will never be able to take my DVDs. 

• Like 11
2 hours ago, LennieBriscoe said:

Raise your hand if you've actually watched the entire "EEAAO" and "The Whale." I've  read of theater-goers walking out of both. 

The 3-person "The Whale," with supposedly the "Best Actor" amongst them, couldn't  get itself nominated for "Best Picture." How does THAT work?? (Yes, twice before. Not exactly ringing support, considering history.)

Maybe Austin and Baz should have made the film only about Late-Vegas Big Elvis.

Then at least tonight's "Best Actor in a Fat Suit" would have been competitive. 

200w.webp?cid=ecf05e47hjfkwxzxuk71ntlazb

EEAaO was incredible, and The Whale was not (I found it quite cruel, actually), although Brendan Fraser was good.  In fact, I watched every film nominated for Best Picture (except for Avatar, which I know I would hate) and every film whose directors, actors, and writers were nominated.  The reason why Baz wasn't even nominated for Best Director is because he directs and edits his movies like a twelve year old on copious amounts of speed, and the reason why Butler didn't win is because he confuses trying to find the perfect angle for the lighting to hit his pout with good acting.  Both of these reasons would still be extant if the film had been about "Late-Vegas Big Elvis."

• Like 6

Like many people, there's usually one or two people who get left out of the In Memoriam that pisses me off. I didn't love that Melinda Dillon was omitted (especially considering she's a multiple-nominee), but it didn't tick me off. It wasn't until later that I realized they left out Anne Heche (who is reasonably well-known) and Charlbi Dean. While Charlbi Dean is less well-known, she was one of the stars of Triangle of Sadness. You'd think if anyone would earn a spot in the "in memoriam," it would be a star of a current Best Picture nominee.

• Like 2
  • Sad 11
5 hours ago, dmeets said:

It’s Wanda Maximoff and America’s Boyfriend!

Pedro Pascal is the *internet's* boyfriend, not just America's. It's not called the "world wide web" for nothing.😀🤣Pedro Pascal Snl GIF by Saturday Night Live

• Like 14
4 hours ago, ProudMary said:

Five of the Best Picture nominees went home empty-handed: The Banshees of Inisherin, Elvis, The Fabelmans, Tar, Triangle of Sadness. Wow.

I'm kinda glad this happened. Ever since they expanded the field beyond 5, the Academy seemed to like to ensure that every Picture nominated for Best Picture walked away with at least one trophy (didn't happen every year I know) to justify its Best Picture nom, which meant that often the Best Picture winner went home with like 2 extra awards. I feel a Best Picture winner should dominate the ceremony (still boggles my mind the number of awards Fury Road won and didn't take home Best Picture, not saying it deserved it, but the number of awards it got suggested technically it was the best) - not saying a clean sweep is needed but it should really be the movie with the most Awards and ideally more than 3. So, I'm happy that this year the Academy didn't decide to share the love.

• Like 4
4 hours ago, ProudMary said:

❤️

Screenshot_20230313_022317_DuckDuckGo.jpg

Every since I heard about the D23 reunion, I felt robbed that we didn’t get to witness it ourselves it, so this was the best moment of the night.

Thrilled for Michelle Yeoh, she deserves it! And I’m happy for Brendan Fraser even though I’ll never watch The Whale.

• Like 7
  • Love 2

Okay, hear me out. I say what I am going to say a lot on these forums and usually after a major award show. Just because your favorite frontrunner did not win does not mean they were robbed. Usually, those who claimed someone was robbed did not see every nominated performance and are basing their opinion on a much smaller pool of offerings.

I get it. Hollywood has not been kind to specific groups, and it is sometimes difficult to know when a bias has caused someone to miss out. That is unfortunate. Still, it does not automatically mean someone else was robbed. Yes, sometimes it is evident that certain biases are at play, but unless the academy voting members were filled with James Woods clones (all someone with very well-known open hatred for a group of people), saying so-and-so should have beat so-and-so is just a subjective opinion.

By the way, none of my favorites won last night, and they were not robbed. I still enjoyed the show, and some of the people I was not rooting for (or against) brought me joy when they did win.

• Like 13
  • Applause 2
5 hours ago, NUguy514 said:

200w.webp?cid=ecf05e47hjfkwxzxuk71ntlazb

The reason why Baz wasn't even nominated for Best Director is because he directs and edits his movies like a twelve year old on copious amounts of speed, and the reason why Butler didn't win is because he confuses trying to find the perfect angle for the lighting to hit his pout with good acting.  Both of these reasons would still be extant if the film had been about "Late-Vegas Big Elvis."

This is probably going to be UO: the only Baz film I love is Strictly Ballroom  because everything else is so frenetic I can’t watch it without getting a massive headache.

• Like 1
  • Applause 1

I enjoyed the Oscars ceremony last night. It moved relatively quickly, except for the occasional long and windy acceptance speeches. Also, I didn't appreciate all the promos for Disney/ABC (The Little Mermaid) and the WB (montage ending with The Flash)...

Oscars: Complete Winners List
BY KIMBERLY NORDYKE   MARCH 12, 2023
https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/movies/movie-news/2023-oscars-winners-list-1235349224/ 

FrGAzR4X0AAo8ns?format=jpg

I was rooting for Brendan Fraser, Michelle Yeoh and Ke Huy Quan, so I was pleased with the results. Although I would have liked seeing Angela Bassett win, I was okay with Jamie Lee Curtis winning. I loved seeing the emotion, excitement and happiness of the four first-time acting winners, all of whom have been working in the industry for decades. I enjoyed the musical numbers. I also enjoyed seeing the Indiana Jones reunion between Quan and Harrison Ford, with Steven Spielberg looking on from the audience.

Btw, even though the Oscars have always disdained the superhero genre (unless you play the Joker), there sure were a lot of superhero movie stars as presenters during last night's ceremony, including Elizabeth Olsen, Michael B. Jordan, Florence Pugh, Idris Elba, Danai Gurira, Samuel L. Jackson, Zoe Saldana, Dwayne Johnson, Jonathan Kang and Andrew Garfield.

Watch highlights from the 95th Academy Awards in 4 minutes
NBC News    Mar 13, 2023

Edited by tv echo
  • Like 2
  • Love 1

When I saw the first post of just MICHELLE I thought it was Williams and was disappointed.  I haven’t seen Fabelmans, but I always know when she has an Oscar-seeking movie out because I get an uptick of “fragile Michelle Williams” stories in my feed.  Did you know her ex boyfriend died?  Every single time.

I didn’t see EEAAO, but my son did and loved it.  He is thrilled with their wins, including JLC.

• Like 1
8 hours ago, LennieBriscoe said:

I saw both. I wasn't blown away by either, and I feel bad that I was somehow out of the 'transformative, transcendent' loop that so many seem to be on with EEAAO. I liked it, I thought it was inventive and sweet. But I just didn't connect to emotionally the way almost everyone else did. 

The Whale...is problematic. Brendan was very good. 

Banshees was my fave film of the year, it touched me deeply, I cried my eyes out, and I would have given every single one of the cast an award if I could have. I'm a little sad it won nothing. Colin blowing a kiss to Jenny the Donkey was my fave part of the night. 

Paul Rogers the film editor is smoking hot and seems really cool. 

Fave dresses: Monica Barbaro, Cara Delevingne, Halle Bailey. I can't resist a great ball gown. Also loved Angela's, Ava DuVernay's, Jessica Chastain's and Michelle Williams', who looked like a literal angel. 

• Like 6
  • Love 1
7 hours ago, Cheezwiz said:

As a Canadian, I was so happy to see Sarah Polley pick up an adaptation award, and Brendan Fraser get a win.

We lost that Turning Red award early on, LOL, but that's okay I guess... 

• Like 3
9 hours ago, FilmTVGeek80 said:

I don't know the correlation between giving an Oscar-winning performance and the movie not being nominated.

The correlation was that the last time an actor won Best Actor without their film being nominated for Best Picture was 2009. So statistically, that seemed to work against Brendan's favor but obviously not as he still won.

A perfect example of this - Ma Rainey's Black Bottom was not nominated for Best Picture, which is what Chadwick Boseman was nominated for but The Father, which Anthony Hopkins was nominated for, was. 

I definitely think SAG taking place as late as it did this year significantly swung the momentum in all the Acting categories, save for Supporting Actor, which was long sewn up. And I admit I was one of those that definitely underestimated that - underestimated that with SAG taking place literally two or three days before Oscar voting began, that it would significantly impact the votes.

Of course I don't know why I did since if these anonymous ballots tell us anything, many of these voters are lazy. Either a bunch of them don't watch a bunch of the nominated films or they typically just fall in line with what seems to be the consensus. It will be interesting to see what happens next year if SAG reverts back to its previous schedule or if the change becomes permanent, like when BAFTA moved to before the Oscars after years of being after. 

I am happy for all the winners because as I've said before, I long stopped getting too pressed about these award shows, as so much of this is subjective. Again, case in point, some still to this day believe The Social Network was robbed for Best Picture and I'm solidly on the side of, "no, it wasn't. Was it a great film, sure. Was it this masterpiece some have built it up to be, IMO, no."

So yeah at the end of the day voters are people too and everyone has their own opinion of what was or wasn't the best. So yes, good for those who won but personally for me, I wasn't jumping out of my seat in excitement because one, once Jamie Lee Curtis won, the writing was on the wall that this was going to be a repeat of SAG and I just saw all these people win barely two weeks ago.

And two, I am part of the crowd of, "Everything Everywhere was cool enough for what it was but it's grossly overrated in my opinion." And I also don't think it was this super inventive film some view it as. And in fact, that was one of the things I didn't love about it - the parts where I felt they were trying TOO hard to seem clever and quirky and off-beat. I do not believe the film was three award-winning actors worthy but it will forever amuse me that the one actor who didn't win is the one that frankly I thought gave the overall best performance of the cast. And yes, I'm including Michelle Yeoh in that. 

I am curious to see the takes 20 years from now when some look back at this year's Oscar and the film that dominated and the ones it was up against at the time. Like I have a feeling there will be some retroactive love and appreciation for what Martin McDanagh and the cast did in The Banshees of Inisherin. 

I hated Angela Bassett's losing only because some of the smug pundits who kept going on about, "they're not giving an Oscar for a Marvel film" will feel like they were right. My friend though made an excellent point about that take. Admittedly she loves her Marvel universe but her thoughts were that it's funny how there's such a dismissive disdain by some about Marvel films and yet so many were falling backwards over themselves over a film that included fight/action sequences, multi-universes and basically people being a hero and love conquering all. Sounds awfully familiar.

As she put it, "but I guess that's suddenly considered high brow filmmaking as long as the Marvel tag is not attached." I of course said to her, "well to be fair, they had the dildos too and sausage fingers. So there is that."

And finally, happy for Brendan Fraser but as I said yesterday, thought The Whale was awful and was never as emotionally moved as I was supposed to be and instead found myself hating almost all of the characters save for Hong Chau's. The whole thing felt painfully manipulative and not the least bit subtle.

Also Austin Butler's not winning means I'll now have to continue to hear more years of Rami Malek being vilified because, "he won an Oscar for lip syncing while both Taron Edgerton and Austin sang" as if Rami was somehow personally responsible for Taron not being nominated and now Austin not winning. 

Thus concludes my thoughts about this year's Oscars. 

• Like 4
4 hours ago, truthaboutluv said:

The correlation was that the last time an actor won Best Actor without their film being nominated for Best Picture was 2009. So statistically, that seemed to work against Brendan's favor but obviously not as he still won.

A perfect example of this - Ma Rainey's Black Bottom was not nominated for Best Picture, which is what Chadwick Boseman was nominated for but The Father, which Anthony Hopkins was nominated for, was. 

I definitely think SAG taking place as late as it did this year significantly swung the momentum in all the Acting categories, save for Supporting Actor, which was long sewn up. And I admit I was one of those that definitely underestimated that - underestimated that with SAG taking place literally two or three days before Oscar voting began, that it would significantly impact the votes.

I hated Angela Bassett's losing only because some of the smug pundits who kept going on about, "they're not giving an Oscar for a Marvel film" will feel like they were right. My friend though made an excellent point about that take. Admittedly she loves her Marvel universe but her thoughts were that it's funny how there's such a dismissive disdain by some about Marvel films and yet so many were falling backwards over themselves over a film that included fight/action sequences, multi-universes and basically people being a hero and love conquering all. Sounds awfully familiar.

As she put it, "but I guess that's suddenly considered high brow filmmaking as long as the Marvel tag is not attached." I of course said to her, "well to be fair, they had the dildos too and sausage fingers. So there is that."

Another good example is the 2018 ceremony.  Glenn Close was considered the leading contender for Best Actress for "The Wife".  She won the Golden Globe (Drama) and the SAG.  Olivia Colman ("The Favourite") won the Golden Globe (Comedy) and the BAFTA.  Many people said that the SAG is the best indicator and thus some were saying Close would win.  However, Close was the only nomination for "The Wife".  Meanwhile, "The Favourite" was the tied for the most nominations of the year, with 10, including Picture, Director, Actress, 2 Supporting Actress, and Original Screenplay.  Some were saying in advance that Close wouldn't win because her film was not popular and was not widely seen.  Colman won.

I still feel very disappointed for Angela Bassett.  Here's an article which shows her reaction and some reactions to her reaction:

https://www.huffpost.com/entry/angela-bassett-oscar-loss_n_640e7b31e4b0bc5cb64b3acb

As I've said, I like Jamie Lee, but if there was going to be an award for Supporting Actress from EEAAO, it should have been Stephanie Hsu, who was amazing.  Jamie Lee's character was just sullen and dry.  At the start of award season, I don't think she was even mentioned much, her role didn't seem to be award worthy.  Angela Bassett's Queen Ramonda was the emotional heart and soul of "Wakanda Forever".  Her speeches were stirring, her defiance was strong, her

Spoiler

death was tragic.

I did like that Ariana seemed very excited and pleased for Jamie Lee.  Even if that meant we were cheated of a perfect opportunity for Ariana and Angela to do side by side "did the thing" dances.  I can see that Jamie Lee is saying "SHUT UP!" in surprise when she hears her name.  But can anyone make out what Kerry Condon is saying?  It looks like to me she says "wow" in resignation.  Is that what she is saying?  I love the reaction and glee of Stephanie for Jamie Lee.  Hong Chau looks gracious too, although she probably knew that of the five nominees, she was the one that had zero chance of winning.

I have to believe that Jamie Lee Curtis only won because of sentiment.  Her name and her famous parents and her Hollywood legacy.  Mira Sorvino, Gwyneth Paltrow, Laura Dern.  All must have benefitted from having beloved actor parents.

It's interesting to me, because sentiment and/or a feeling that he or she is "due" often doesn't seem to be enough.  Gloria Stuart, Lauren Bacall, Glenn Close.

While some would say that Jamie Lee Curtis was "due", on the whole, her career doesn't seem to include a lot of Oscar-worthy performances, unlike Angela Bassett.

I hope that Angela Bassett will get another chance soon to win and show that she "did the thing".  As well as others who are long overdue, like Glenn Close and most of all, national treasure Michelle Pfeiffer.

Edited by blackwing
  • Like 9

High points:

• Arianna DuBose squeaking out Ke Huy Quan through tears.
  • Sarah Polly thanking Hollywood for not getting mortally offended over the words "women" and "talking" next to each other.
  • Andie MacDowell and Hugh Grant's skin care (and lack of skin care) regimens.
  • Daniel thanking his teachers.
  • The other Daniel thanking his son.
  • Naatu Naatu
  • The best looking Oscar-winning editor I can remember.
  • Cocaine Bear
  • Indiana Jones and Short Round embracing.
  • Like 12
4 minutes ago, sugarbaker design said:

High points:

• Cocaine Bear

I liked Cocaine Bear when he was with Elizabeth Banks.  But the bit in the aisle with Jimmy Kimmel and Malala was just stupid.  The only thing that would have saved it is if the head came off at the end of the show and Cocaine Bear was revealed to be Matt Damon, eating an apple.

• Like 2
  • LOL 9
5 minutes ago, blackwing said:

The only thing that would have saved it is if the head came off at the end of the show and Cocaine Bear was revealed to be Matt Damon, eating an apple.

Somewhere Kimmel and the academy producers are SCREAMING they didn’t think of this.

• Like 4
  • LOL 12
14 minutes ago, sugarbaker design said:

High points:

• Arianna DuBose squeaking out Ke Huy Quan through tears.
  • Sarah Polly thanking Hollywood for not getting mortally offended over the words "women" and "talking" next to each other.
  • Andie MacDowell and Hugh Grant's skin care (and lack of skin care) regimens.
  • Daniel thanking his teachers.
  • The other Daniel thanking his son.
  • Naatu Naatu
  • The best looking Oscar-winning editor I can remember.
  • Cocaine Bear
  • Indiana Jones and Short Round embracing.

Naatu Naatu really was a lot of fun. That is the first Indian song to win best song, isn't it? 

• Like 1
21 minutes ago, blackwing said:

I liked Cocaine Bear when he was with Elizabeth Banks.  But the bit in the aisle with Jimmy Kimmel and Malala was just stupid.  The only thing that would have saved it is if the head came off at the end of the show and Cocaine Bear was revealed to be Matt Damon, eating an apple.

I was waiting for the payoff of the Cocaine Bear joke, to reveal who the bear is.

Matt Damon being the bear would have definitely brought the house down.

36 minutes ago, blackwing said:

I have to believe that Jamie Lee Curtis only won because of sentiment.  Her name and her famous parents and her Hollywood legacy.  Mira Sorvino, Gwyneth Paltrow, Laura Dern.  All must have benefitted from having beloved actor parents.

It's interesting to me, because sentiment and/or a feeling that he or she is "due" often doesn't seem to be enough.  Gloria Stuart, Lauren Bacall, Glenn Close.

It really depends on what narrative can sustain the entire season. There's always the overdue narrative, like Glenn Close, Amy Adams, etc. But there's also the first ever narrative - like Ariana Debose last year. It's all about what can sustain through the Oscars voting.

I mean Michelle Williams is now nominated for five Oscars and no one is thinking she's way overdue for one coming into last night! Meanwhile, Michelle Yeoh has been in the industry for 40+ years, never been nominated before, and somehow she's overdue. Sometimes there's just no logic to these things.

I really think SAG tipped it to Jaimie. Had the timing of the precursors been different, I think Angela would have won it. They both have the overdue narrative, Jamie just had the momentum coming in to the voting. 

Edited by slowpoked
  • Like 4

I am particularly happy that all the acting awards went to first time winners.  There were years when it seemed like the same people just kept winning (looking at you Tom Hanks).  

Can we bottle up Ke Huy Quan's enthusiasm for being alive and sell it?  Loved Indy and Short Rounds hug.  Spielberg kinda looked like the proud Papa.  LOL

So very glad Navalny won for best documentary.  He mustn't be forgotten and left to languish.

Overall, this is one of the better Oscars in the last 5+ years.

• Like 10
7 minutes ago, slowpoked said:

It really depends on what narrative can sustain the entire season. There's always the overdue narrative, like Glenn Close, Amy Adams, etc. But there's also the first ever narrative - like Ariana Debose last year. It's all about what can sustain through the Oscars voting.

I mean Michelle Williams is now nominated for five Oscars and no one is thinking she's way overdue for one! Meanwhile, Michelle Yeoh has been in the industry for 40+ years, never been nominated before, and somehow she's overdue. Sometimes there's just no logic to these things.

I really think SAG tipped it to Jaimie. Had the timing of the precursors been different, I think Angela would have won it. They both have the overdue narrative, Jamie just had the momentum coming in to the voting. 

I would say both Michelle Williams (5 nominations since 2006) and Amy Adams (6 nominations since 2006) are overdue.  However, age is obviously a factor.  They're still in their 40s.  They might be overdue, but they aren't as overdue as Glenn Close or Michelle Pfeiffer or Angela Bassett or Sigourney Weaver.  They have more nominations than Pfeiffer, Bassett, or Weaver, but I would still put the elder ladies on "more overdue" status than them.

I liked what Michelle Yeoh said about her winning the Oscar as an "older lady".  She is 60 years old.  In all the years of Oscar, only Katharine Hepburn, Geraldine Page, Jessica Tandy, Helen Mirren, Meryl Streep, Frances McDormand, and now Michelle Yeoh have won Best Actress at age 60 or older.  The average age of the Best Actor winner seems to be significantly older than the average age of the Best Actress winner.

• Like 6

Kudos to Jessica Chastain for understanding the situation and letting these ladies have their moment, before hugging Michelle. Jessica may be too earnest at times, but she's also quite sincere and genuine.

• Like 13
  • Love 7