Type keyword(s) to search

The Annual Academy Awards - General Discussion

• Start Topic

1 minute ago, TV Mercenary said:

All the ladies who are nominated and never won and somehow Jennifer Lawrence has two of these bad boys I will never understand nor will I ever agree.

If it makes you feel better, she actually only has one for Silver Linings Playbook.

• Love 1

Aww, I totally forgot one of Jennifer Lawrence's first roles was in a Jodie Foster film.

Yay, Frances McDormand!  A powerhouse performance to say the least!

I do feel bad for Saoire Ronan though.  This feels like the second time where she probably would have one any other year, but just went up against someone who couldn't be beat.  Hopefully she'll get her trophy someday.

Also glad that Margot Robbie is showing that she's more then just a bombshell/pretty face.

• Love 2
1 minute ago, TV Mercenary said:

All the ladies who are nominated and never won and somehow Jennifer Lawrence has two of these bad boys I will never understand nor will I ever agree. Is Jodie Foster tiny or is Jennifer Lawrence an Amazon in real life?

I thought J'Law only had one--for Silver Linings Playbook.  And I imagine that a) Jennifer's wearing heels, and b) yes, Jodie's not that tall.  I remember the line from The Accused when the lawyer shows the defense attorneys pictures taken after the rape and I think she actually says, "she's tiny."

• Love 1
1 minute ago, mtlchick said:

Meryl Streep plays DIRTY. 

Complete aside: where's Jack Nicholson been?  

I read somewhere that Jack apparently either retired or semi-retired. Besides, did he ever go to the Oscars when he wasn't nominated &/or presenting?

2 minutes ago, Steph J said:

I don't think I ever realized how short Jodie Foster is until seeing her standing next to Jennifer Lawrence (I mean, granted, Lawrence is in heels, but still).

Jodie is reportedly 5’3” and Jennifer is reportedly 5’8”.

I would hate to see y’all standing near me if Jodie

is considered “short,” LOL. I’m barely 5’0” haha

I think Francis has hit the bubbly quite hard before this win also that dress was a choice and it was a choice girl was it a choice but was there no no one else around her to help her make another choice a better choice?

• Love 3
(edited)
23 minutes ago, Chas411 said:

I'm getting a bit exhausted by the shade being thrown at the other nominees just because they're men. I get the cause but it's Jibes like both Emma Stones and Natslie Portmans (at the globes) that ruin it for the winner who has done nothing wrong. It also just comes off a bit passive aggressive on Gerwigs behalf which also isn't fair because she's not the one delivering the digs.

Agreed. I rolled my eyes a bit at Emma's comment, just as I did at Natalie's a couple of months ago. (Plus, black directors - like Jordan Peele - have also been woefully under-represented/under-recognized.) Not only that, but as a woman of color, I find the audience's extra loud cheering for women/people of color to be a bit patronizing. I think there are better ways to make a point about the importance of diversity and inclusion.

Edited by sweetcookieface
  • Love 8
(edited)
12 hours ago, legaleagle53 said:

She'll be included in next year's segment.  I think the cutoff is January 31.

But they included Sridevi, who just a week ago.

12 hours ago, dubbel zout said:

I think that was for diversity/international audience appeal.

They had Shashi Kapoor for that, as he died in early January, I think. And this is the first year I recall them including Bollywood stars who didn’t cross over to Hollywood.  Kapoor was in maybe one or two YEARS ago.

Edited by GHScorpiosRule

Foster is 5'3" and Lawrence is 5'9" - so 6 inches, plus probably at least 4-inch heels, means that JL is almost a foot taller than JF.  

After that banter, I was really hoping Meryl would win, come up and sweep out one of the crutches!  

• Love 5
Just now, thejuicer said:

I don't know if this is unpopular but I think Jennifer Lawrence is terribly overrated.

I'll say this not having seen Winter's Bone, which I've been told is really good, but I honestly think her best performances were in the Hunger Games movies.  Didn't care for Silver Linings Playbook and I wasn't crazy about her performance in American Hustle.

• Love 8
Just now, thejuicer said:

I don't know if this is unpopular but I think Jennifer Lawrence is terribly overrated.

I’m not a fan of her personality much but I like her acting. We saw Red Sparrow yesterday and really enjoyed it.

• Love 1
Just now, wallflower75 said:

I'll say this not having seen Winter's Bone, which I've been told is really good, but I honestly think her best performances were in the Hunger Games movies.

She was amazing in Winter's Bone.

• Love 10
12 minutes ago, topanga said:

Really? What did he do? Or not do?

Beat girlfriend/wives. Double-downed on Mel Gibson's anti-Semitic comments, etc.

I love weird Frances. 

• Love 6

Did you read the behind the scene story of last year's BP fiasco in the Hollywood Reporter?  Biggest thing I took from that - Faye Dunaway is a bitch, possibly crazy, and really disliked.  

• Love 8
1 minute ago, Calvada said:

Foster is 5'3" and Lawrence is 5'9" - so 6 inches, plus probably at least 4-inch heels, means that JL is almost a foot taller than JF.  

Yep. Off topic but I always use my shortness (5’0”-ish) to measure other women, especially when I’m in heels, lol. Yup, JL looks almost a foot taller than Jodie. Average height for a woman is 5’5” so they both miss the mark, lol (so do I). ?

• Love 2
4 minutes ago, sweetcookieface said:

Agreed. I rolled my eyes a bit at Emma's comment, just as I did at Natalie's a couple of months ago. Not only that, but as a woman of color, I find the audience's extra loud cheering for women/people of color to be a bit patronizing. I think there are better ways to make a point about the importance of diversity and inclusion.

This! This!! This!!!

• Love 3
1 minute ago, Crs97 said:

JLaw seems to have been taught that if you pause.  At weird. Times in your. Speech.  You sound. Dramatic.  I just can’t with her.

William Shatner School of Acting?

• Love 13
4 minutes ago, wallflower75 said:

I'll say this not having seen Winter's Bone, which I've been told is really good, but I honestly think her best performances were in the Hunger Games movies.  Didn't care for Silver Linings Playbook and I wasn't crazy about her performance in American Hustle.

Winter's Bone is harsh and amazing.

• Love 8