Type keyword(s) to search

S02.E01: Chapter Twenty-Three

In the second-season opener, Jane learns of Mateo's kidnapping and Sin Rostro demands a ransom. Meanwhile, Rafael feels isolated when Jane seeks parenting advice from Xo and Alba; and Petra is unsure about what to do with Rafael's last sperm sample.

The show could not have continued to function with Matteo remaining kidnapped for any extended period of time, so I thought that they dealt with that development in an efficient and effective manner.

Honestly, I sometimes find it hard to write too much about this show.  It just consistently clicks.

• Love 12

*Sigh* I just love this show so much, it fills me with happy feelings. Like a delicious, sweet glass of wine. 

I missed Jane being cute and Michael being a mench and Petra being scheming and Rogelio being wonderful, and the Latin Lover narrator, and everything else. 

Edited by tennisgurl
  • Love 9

Jane the Virgin reminds me of Orphan Black, in that (aside from the amazing central performance) cliffhangers/dangling plot points are so very quickly resolved, so I was pretty sure Jane would be back with her kid by the premiere.

• Love 2

I laughed so loudly at the narrator's "I'll say this - the girl's got spunk" that I woke up the dog. I'm so glad this show is back.

When all the people showed up outside her house, all I could think was, "The woman just had a baby! Let the poor thing sleep!"

As soon as I saw Sin Rostro from behind and heard her speak, I thought Morena Baccarin. Curious to see if I'm right.

Edited by AlliMo
  • Love 3

I saw Bridget Regan's name in the credits, but I'm disappointed we only got to hear her. I'm curious what her new face looks like and if she's going to show up again this season.

Eh, what am I kidding? The Sin Rostro plot isn't as interesting as the awesome Rogelio-Michael scenes and Rogelio just being Rogelio. I don't think the annulment of Xo and Rogelio's marriage is going to go that smoothly. If I'm wrong then this show really does resolve dangling plot threads fast! 

Everything about this episode made me happy. I forgot how charming the characters are, how much they like/love each other, and how much fun they are to be around; but I remembered the moment all the missing baby nonsense was resolved.

Except that cliffhanger. My lord we don't need *another* criminal mastermind with nonspecifically evil intentions hovering about Jane & Co. If she ends up being Luisa's next girlfriend, I'm fast-forwarding through that plot.

Edited by whyjoshua
  • Love 1

Our show is back! And thank goodness for that introductory recap (it's been a while)!

So: do you think Michael knew there was a chip on Rose's pin? I think he already copied the data, hence his ease over handing it over (obviously he wanted to get Matteo back but he's not a dummy). Also, how deep in is Nadine, that she knows about it? And why did Michael tell Rose to toss Nadine's cell? He knows Nadine is not to be trusted... do you think that was just a faux kind gesture?

Not sure how I feel about the final twist... was that someone new? I still have my eye on Juicy. What do they want with Jane?

Finally, random, but I loved Gina's roar of laughter when they were discussing the marriage footage. :P

• Love 1

Love this show. Neurotic Jane is going to get old fast, but that's because neurotic moms drive me nuts. And 10 percent weight loss the first 24 hours is pretty concerning, and nipple confusion? I guess I'm going to be ignoring a lot and remind myself that this isn't a medical show, and just focus on how cute Mateo is.

I missed you Rogelio! And I'm still torn between Michael and Rafael. Both are great for Jane in their own way.

I laughed so loudly at the narrator's "I'll say this - the girl's got spunk" that I woke up the dog.

I'm dense. I just got that.

Loved Rogelio still calling Mateo, "Matelio."

And Latin Lover Narrator is always golden: "Dude, those other options were right there!"

• Love 7

As soon as I saw Sin Rostro from behind and heard her speak, I thought Morena Baccarin. Curious to see if I'm right.

Between Gotham and her own personal drama, I can't see Morena flying to across the country to do a guest staring role. Plus Bridget Regan was listed in the credits so they're still using her voice.

I cracked up when the narrator typed of Luisa.... "kind of a trainwreck"  then said "who am I kidding" then retyped "total trainwreck"

Me too. The narrator and Rogelio continues to be my favs. I was also cracking up at him when the Villanueva women realized he tweeted about the kidnapping.

I notice Justin's wife was in the lactation class scene since I've seen her guest star on a few different shows I watch.

I thought I might be over the show because I'm uninterested in the love triangle, but nope, I'm still charmed. Not in any part of the Jane/Michael/Rafael stuff, because even as much as I'm trying to ignore it, I'm firmly on Team Michael, but because of the Villanueva women, Rogelio, Petra!, the Narrator, and the ongoing bromance of Rogelio and Michael. 

YG does such a great job making me feel for Petra even if she's shady. It's bad that I kind of want her to get pregnant, right? Ah, it's a telenovela. Bring it on.

• Love 3

I laughed so loudly at the narrator's "I'll say this - the girl's got spunk" that I woke up the dog. I'm so glad this show is back.

I also thought that was hilarious!

Luisa, Petra, Petra's Mom, Rogelio and the Narrator continue to slay. Needs more Sin Rostro aka. Bridget Regan.

Also, Micheal is just a great guy. You can't go against that. Team Micheal all the way.

And of course, Gina just continues to be phenomenal. The transitions from pure comedy to moments like her breakdown with her mom are just wonderful. Her acting is so earnest.

Edited by tanita
  • Love 6

I am so happy that she got the baby back quickly because I was seriously about to give up the show over that plotline. Last season's finale left such a bad taste in my mouth. I thought that was just too horrific for this show to go there. This episode reassured me that my fun show is back!

And seriously, I think this episode should win some type of award for its depiction of breastfeeding tonight. I felt like cheering at all the great information that was shown. I think every new mom who is struggling to nurse needs to see this episode.

• Love 4

wingster, 'spunk' is slang for ejaculate.

" The Sin Rostro plot isn't as interesting as the awesome Rogelio-Michael scenes and Rogelio just being Rogelio."

Agreed! and said so on another forum. Also said the sin rostro/without a face BS is just plain old boring,.

• Love 1

What’s Luisa’s use on the show outside of Rose?
So tired of Rafael besides his looks.
Alba’s just there, being sporadically irritating.
I don’t care that much about motherhood storylines. Or love triangles. That was Jane, so.
Xo is a good mom. Her tan is weird.

While the narrator had some good jokes, he was actually on too much.
Petra’s Rafael obsessions is bleh, but I still find myself rooting for her cuz she’s so entertaining. And as far as couples go, Flashback Petra/Raf>Present Day Jane/Raf.
Michael/Rogelio are great though.

Honestly, the Crazy Ex Girlfriend premiere which aired right before this was a superior hour of TV (though not as good as Jane's pilot).

I'm seeing myself dropping this show before the season's over, given this and last season's quality drop after Sin Rostro ran off leaving us with mostly romantic drama storylines.

Edited by jjjmoss
  • Love 1

That was cute, but enough with love triangle already!

As I mentioned previously, I'm Team Rafael though I love Michael... nevertheless, I can't stand love triangles/quadrangles, and I would hate for Jane, who is usually so judgemental and upright, to go back and forth between Michael and Rafael. Unfortunately, that distracted me so much that I didn't 100% enjoy the rest of the episode, mainly Rogelio & Michael and the Narrator. :(

• Love 1

Yay at the babynapping getting resolved so fast. I almost forgot I was watching a telenovela adaption during the back half of last season until that happened. Petra is still so vile and underhanded to me. I kinda get why people kinda root for her (especially since Yael is amazing and really adorable), but nope not me. She's the worst. Totally rooting for Luisa though. She's such a sad-sack. It's funny and horrible.

Jane's neurotic tendencies were out in full force. It fit the circumstances and was very endearing but I hope they have a better handle than they did last season. I know there's a lot of mileage they can get out of it with a new mom but I hope they don't make it a huge focus. Cause it got old very quickly.

The love triangle still sucks. It's not remotely interesting to me. It's the same complaint I had with last season's finale. Jane and Rafael's kid is about to be born and you have me watching this boring love triangle. Then the premiere has them dealing with Mateo (such a cute baby!!) getting kidnapped and I'm still watching this boring love triangle. 

• Love 1

I was afraid the premiere would drop in quality, but it still is just as good as last season.

I always wonder if the cast is truly all Team Michael or if they just say that for reasons, but I'm still Team Michael. I was kind of rooting for him to choose option three, but of course he chose option one. Even shirtless Rafael didn't sway me from what team I'm on. 

Yay for Mateo being rescued in the first twelve minutes of the show! I'm glad they got that resolved quickly. 

I'm going to miss Bridget Reagan as Sin Rostro. But that last scene? Was that new Rose or some new villain? It sounds like the latter.

Rogelio is still awesome, and him and Michael still make an awesome pair. The Narrator is still hilarious. 

I wasn't surprised by Jane's neurotic personality this episode with Mateo.

I'm actually hoping Petra does get pregnant, because why not? Like the Narrator says, it's a telenovela! Let's cause the most amount of drama! Plus, pregnant Petra? That could be fun to see, and Jane would be furious. Sure, it riles up the love square, but at this point, I'd be all in for it.

• Love 3

Still in love with this show.

TPTB have made a definite attempt to rehabilitate Michael but I still can't get over him skulking around during the murder investigation and being an asshat to Rafael. Still Team Rafael.

• Love 5

Anyone think that the overeager assistant took the sperm sample from the container & replaced it with saline, or something else? So Petra didn't actually inseminate herself? I hope it's not just me. 

I missed this show, I love Rogelio & The Narrator! 

• Love 2

I was thinking, and the love square or whatever kinda makes me think of Passions.

Michael/Fox-Jane/Theresa-Rafael/Ethan-Petra/Gwen

Though Theresa was the one who used trickery to get herself pregnant, she's still considered the plucky heroine.

Ethan/Raf sucks the most and is clearly far inferior to Michael/Fox. And it's hard to imagine why Petra/Gwen cares so much about her (ex-/) husband when he's usually more into the other woman.

Edited by jjjmoss
  • Love 1

I was so excited for the premiere! And it delivered, in my books at least.

I love Jane as a character, but this neurotic version of herself could get old very quickly. I know she just gave birth, her kid was kidnapped and she's feeling exhausted and inadequate, so I understand the crazy state she's in, so I can deal with neurotic Jane for a bit. But not for too long!

Is Michael involved with Sin Rostro in any way? Why does he NEVER talk to his boss about what's going on? Why didn't he say anything to his boss about the baby being kidnapped by Sin Rostro and the whole pin thing? SO SHADY!

New vilain, or Sin Rostro V2.0?

Rogelio and his "Matelio" are so cute.

Petra is not pregnant. I would bet anything her assistant replaced what was in the canister with water/saline/whatever. The turkey baster had me laughing tho!

And the contrast between Michael and Rafael was very evident last night. I was a bit disappointed. Michael was connecting emotionally with Jane (rescuing, calling at the right time, reassuring her, etc...) and Rafael offered a sexy body and a bit of baby knowledge. Really, show? Seems like Rafael's character was a bit better developed last season. Where's his mom?

And a total 180.. Damn Rafael's got a nice bod. LOL

• Love 3

After the premiere, I am considering just waiting to watch this next year on Netflix. 

It still has a lot of the charm it had last season but I don't know that I want to watch a show centered around child rearing.  I don't know that they can easily swap out Sin Rostro with this German "villain." 

And having Petra impregnate herself, even though a pretty plateau was presented, just felt icky to me. I don't know if I have the patience this year. 

I was a bit disappointed. Michael was connecting emotionally with Jane (rescuing, calling at the right time, reassuring her, etc...) and Rafael offered a sexy body and a bit of baby knowledge. Really, show?

Baby knowledge he got from a book which he never would have thought to read had it not been for Michael.  And that's when I thought "Really show? C'mon." 

• Love 2

I was actually surprised Jane found out Mateo was kidnapped. I honestly expected them to get him back before Jane knew he was missing since she's so disconnected from the Sin Rostro plot.

Michael won in the Michael vs. Rafael. He saved the baby! Although that scene of the three of them working together to get Mateo back was awesome. And funny, "We'll call what she's doing running."

I absolutely love that Rogelio tweeted the kidnapping, because despite the looks the Villanueva women gave him, you're supposed to share Amber Alerts and let the public know when the child's been found. 

Edited by bettername2come
  • Love 2

Do we know anything about Michael's parents?

Given how connected Raf's family was to S1's villain, maybe S2's villain can be connected to Michael's largely unknown background. Though I'd hope the bad guy isn't actually his mother a la...certain shows out there.

Honestly, I dislike Rafael but he is who I think Jane deserves. She uses Michael, in this case I don't blame her at all,  I think she treats Michael badly and only runs to him when she's frustrated with the guy she wants. I think Michael deserves better in a  relationship than to be used by Jane. 

• Love 3

I thought the episode was ok. I'm glad that Mateo was saved but the love triangle is annoying.

I think Michael won this episode because it was written that way. It had nothing to do with Michael or Rafael being better than the other. It doesn't make any of them look good especially Jane and it bothers me that she keeps jumping from one to the other.

Michael has definitely gotten better but I feel like he has no life of his own.

It reminds me off the April, Dom, Leo triangle on Chasing Life. The right guy won that triangle. I won't stop watching the show if Jane chooses Michael but I do think that it won't be interesting imo.

Edited by blugirlami21
  • Love 2

Do we know anything about Michael's parents?

Given how connected Raf's family was to S1's villain, maybe S2's villain can be connected to Michael's largely unknown background. Though I'd hope the bad guy isn't actually his mother a la...certain shows out there.

That's interesting spec. I also wonder why Michael hasn't been telling his superiors everything that's been going on. Is it just because of loyalty or whatever to Nadine? The way this show twists and spins, you could tell me Rogelio and Michael are Sin and Rostro, and I'd go 'eeeeehhhhh, sure why not.'

I might be projecting and filling in blanks that the show will fill in differently later but I thought he had Nadine get rid of her tracker because he knew the cops risked breaking up the exchange if they tracked her.  And by telling her that, he likely broke police procedure so he's not sharing that info with his superiors. 

• Love 3

Someone mentioned Morena Baccarin upthread. They said it looks like her from behind. I can one-up this; I wasn't looking at the TV and I thought I *heard* Morena Baccarin, then looked up and saw what looked like the back of her head, and congratulated myself for catching it. That said, her voice sounded like a completely different actress in a later scene. They wouldn't get that sneaky would they?

Edited by kieyra

Michael is still too shady for my tastes.  Having Sin Rostro tell Nadine to ditch her cell phone as part of the negotiations so the cops couldn't track her is tres underhanded.  Jane has a baby with another man she still cares about; being Mateo's sole savior didn't change that.  At this point in the story, there's more at stake then this pathetic love triangle, IMO.

In any case, still loving the usual suspects: Rogelio, Xo, Petra, and the narrator.  Hoping for a bit more of them and a lot less of sappy Michael and neurotic Jane.  Also hoping Rafael has a real chance at trying to be a good dad without having to pander to the Villanuevas 100% of the time.  Maybe just 80% of the time.

• Love 4

Finally got to see this episode. Everyone articulated many of my thoughts, so I won't repeat. But just a few notes:

One, I'm convinced that WAS Morena Baccarin at the beginning, but I agree there's no way she'd have time to be on this show now. And of course, that was definitely another woman at the end. I'm guessing (if it is indeed her) that Morena just did that cameo as a favor to the producers. 

Two, I want Rafael and Petra to get back together. Can't help it, I just like them together. Petra may be the villain, but she's a likable one because she's not a moustache-twirler (metaphorically speaking, of course). She just tries so hard and screws things up and occasionally shows a flash of good, which makes her a villain I can't help but root for.

And three, I am and have been all along Team Michael. I think he and Gina have developed a great chemistry during the course of the series--much more than they had at the start. They just seem...right together to me. Plus Michael and Rogelio are comedy gold. 

Oh, and four--I still love the Villanueva women together. Yes, they're hard to crack, but I love seeing three such strong women as a family unit. Sometimes exasperating, but one of my favorite aspects of the show.

Welcome back, little show! I didn't realize how much I missed you.

Edited by kirinan
  • Love 2

I think my issue with Rafael is mostly that he doesn't seem close with Jane's family at all. He barely has scenes with them outside of Jane, he doesn't try to form relationships with them and he knows how close Jane is with her family. I know it's probably because of his own family issues, but the fact that he doesn't try to have a lunch with Xo, let's say, or go to Rogelio for any advice kind of says it all. I know he knows Xo doesn't like him much, and they had a brief bonding moment, but I wish he put in more effort. 

It kind of showed this episode, when he was complaining about Jane's family being around her and the baby all the time and not getting a moment to themselves (until the end) and he went to Michael for advice. The fact that he couldn't have expressed these concerns to Jane herself, or even asked if he could hold the baby before the end of the episode says a lot as well. Him and Jane dated for what, five months or so? He's been in her life for about eight months now? And he still doesn't have conversations with Jane's family and he doesn't seem to feel comfortable around them at all. I know Michael's known Xo and Alba for over two years now, but look at him and Rogelio's relationship. He barely knows the guy and they're close already. 

Sure, Rafael doesn't have to be buddy-buddy with Jane's family like Michael is, but he doesn't seem to put in much effort to try.

• Love 2

I liked both Michael and Rafael in this episode. Rafael for going to Michael with his issue and Michael giving Rafael good advice. I can foresee the future, however, if Jane chooses Michael. She'll find out he was having sex with Nadine and boom. 

I was glad the "Mateo is kidnapped plot" was resolved quickly. I would be just like Jane, "POOR MATEO I HOPE SIN ROSTRO IS GIVING HIM FORMULA AND CHANGING HIS DIAPER AND MAKING HIM WEAR A HAT SO HIS LITTLE HEAD DOESN'T GET COLD."

I liked the callback to slutty Crystal from the pilot. 

It kind of showed this episode, when he was complaining about Jane's family being around her and the baby all the time and not getting a moment to themselves (until the end) and he went to Michael for advice. The fact that he couldn't have expressed these concerns to Jane herself, or even asked if he could hold the baby before the end of the episode says a lot as well. Him and Jane dated for what, five months or so? He's been in her life for about eight months now? And he still doesn't have conversations with Jane's family and he doesn't seem to feel comfortable around them at all.

I took Rafael's actions as, he wanted to help Jane and make her feel better, but he also didn't want to make it all about himself and his issues with her family when she was so stressed out after the kidnapping and being unable to breastfeed properly. It was a nice moment for him, going to Michael for help. AND it was nice when later he confessed his issue and straight-up told Jane that Michael had given him the advice. That's the kind of thing a dumber show would keep a secret, let it simmer and have it blow up much later.

• Love 3

To be fair I don't think Rafael has had the same chance that Michael had to be close with Jane's family.  They, especially Xo didn't like Rafael.  She did everything she could to dissuade Jane from dating him in the beginning.  I would even say that Michael has constantly been waiting in the wings to show that he is the better choice for Jane usurping many of the opportunities that he would have to shine in the family's eyes.  I understood it, in their eyes Jane had basically dropped Michael like a hot potato and then started dating Rafael soon after.  But Rafael is never going to be able to have the same relationship with Jane's family as Michael does. That's probably never going to happen anytime soon imo.

I do wish that Petra would get a life however.  I just can't imagine what she did with Rafael's sperm ending well.  This is the second time that she has violated his wishes in this manner.  What if he wanted to save the sperm for the future?  Or I don't know actually choose who he wants to carry his child.  

The first time didn't work out in her favor.  How viable could the sperm be with her carrying it around in her purse?  I do like Petra and I wouldn't be upset if she had tried to win Rafael back in a normal manner.  Trying to rekindle whatever feelings led them to get married in the first place.  But I can't get behind her if she's always using these underhanded tactics.

• Love 5

Sure, Rafael doesn't have to be buddy-buddy with Jane's family like Michael is, but he doesn't seem to put in much effort to try.

I think he did put in the effort.  In fact, it was a storyline in the first season where he prepped for dinner.  Michael was willing to let Jane's baby go to a dissolving couple?  Poor Michael.  Rafael is rich and disappointed Jane by not calling  her once years ago?  Rafael is bad.  Michael uses his police power to  to keep abuela in the country?  Michael is great.  Rafael has the audacity to mention supporting Jane and his child?  Rafael is bad. 

Sometimes the best thing you can do in that situation is let what happened happen.  She eventually thawed to him.  They get along when they're in the same room.  But trying to push something more than civility and general agreeability would be awkward, especially now that he and Jane have split.

Any closeness would have to develop more organically kind of like the way it did with Rogelio and Michael.  IIRC, Rafael did approach Rogelio and Rogelio was formal with him but not cold.  In fact, he handled Jane's two love interests well.  The closeness with Michael grew when he needed Michael's help to study for a role as a police officer.

Two, I want Rafael and Petra to get back together. Can't help it, I just like them together. Petra may be the villain, but she's a likable one because she's not a moustache-twirler (metaphorically speaking, of course). She just tries so hard and screws things up and occasionally shows a flash of good, which makes her a villain I can't help but root for.

I'd disagree that she's not a moustache-twirler.  The level of vulnerability she shows could make me forgive her for cheating and lying and maybe even paying someone to try to bed her husband but drugging him, accusing him of beating her and making a real live person against his expressed wishes?  A few tears doesn't absolve her of those enough for me to see anything worthy of revisiting in that relationship. 

Even though I'm not a Michael/Jane fan, I don't think they've taken them too far off course that they can't bring them back together without damaging either character.  But Rafael would be out of his mind to reconsider Petra as a love interest.  If it's not Jane, whoever his romantic future is with, I never want to see it with Petra.

Edited by Irlandesa
  • Love 6

I think he did put in the effort.  In fact, it was a storyline in the first season where he prepped for   Michael was willing to let Jane's baby go to a dissolving couple?  Poor Michael.  Rafael is rich and disappointed Jane by not calling  her once years ago?  Rafael is bad.  Michael uses his police power to  to keep abuela in the country?  Michael is great.  Rafael has the audacity to mention supporting Jane and his child?  Rafael is bad. 

Sometimes the best thing you can do in that situation is let what happened happen.  She eventually thawed to him.  They get along when they're in the same room.  But trying to push something more than civility and general agreeability would be awkward, especially now that he and Jane have split.

Any closeness would have to develop more organically kind of like the way it did with Rogelio and Michael.  IIRC, Rafael did approach Rogelio and Rogelio was formal with him but not cold.  In fact, he handled Jane's two love interests well.  The closeness with Michael grew when he needed Michael's help to study for a role as a police officer.

Sure, to an extent. But that was only a one episode storyline, and that's what makes it feel...I don't know, off. She's thawed to him but we haven't seen them interacting since. When they do, Jane's always there. Again, it's not the worst thing and maybe it's a little realistic. I just wish we saw him doing more with Jane's family, whether it's a conversation when Jane's not there, or him bringing something over for the family. Something to show that he's not just there for Jane (and now Mateo), but that he's willing to make it work with her family as well. 

Now, I like Rafael to an extent. I don't think he's a bad guy at all for not calling years ago. Jane talked to the guy once, met him once, and kissed him once. He has no obligation to have done anything after that. Now, if they had actually gone out on a few dates and then he disappeared, that I'd understand. But the fact that they had freaked out because he didn't call that one time? I find that utterly ridiculous and it's not a bad guy move. I also don't mind him wanting to help them out financially. He has the money, and he's doing it for good reasons. I get that Xo has 'integrity' and whatnot, but I didn't blink an eye when he suggested that. Xo an be a bit frustrating at times, that's for damn sure. Both Rafael and Michael are not solely good or bad anyway. They're morally grey characters; the show just has been presenting Michael in a better way as of lately. And I do think the fact that he does have scenes with Jane's family outside of Jane helps. 

That's why I'm hoping this season, we can see Rafael try a little harder with Xo, and try a little harder with her family. It doesn't necessarily have to be a complete success, but if he tries for more than just a single episode, I think it would be beneficial. Plus, I'd love for Rafael to stand up to Xo for being too overprotective and I'd love a storyline where Xo is being overprotective with Mateo and Rafael has to stand up to her. And yes, I realize it could backfire horribly on him but oh well.