Type keyword(s) to search

S09.E04: The 2003 Approximation

The Thor and Dr. Jones song was damn catchy. And I loved how the band breakup lasted only two seconds.

I know people are going to write off the end of this episode as Sheldon getting his way again, but to be fair, he actually wasn't trying to get his way. He was genuinely trying to figure out how to cope with all the changes in his life, and twisted as it was, living in 2003 before he met Leonard or anybody was his way of dealing with abandonment. His speech about how he knew everyone in the group was going to drift away made me feel for him.

Stuart is still creepy and still sucks.

• Love 9

I loved Sheldon tonight but that's about it.

I wish they'd left things at 2003 at least for another episode. Of course that could be my mind's thinking we can go back to when the show was so good.

I noticed Raj had his accent when he was singing. I always thought people lost their accents when they sang.

Edited by WickedTuna

I really felt for Sheldon tonight. And I agree, he wasn't trying to guilt trip or coerce anyone into anything. He was genuinely trying to find a way to cope with a great amount of upheaval in his life. Certainly he's handling it much better than he did a year ago when he ran off.

I also think he was very astute in predicting what would eventually happen to their group. And I think that is something that most young adults struggle with as people marry and settle into careers and have kids. They do spend less time with their friends. People do move and divorce and relationships change. I think it speaks volumes about Sheldon's growth that he recognizes this fact and that he doesn't like it. 

Loved Bernadette trying to foist Stuart on Sheldon and there being no way Stuart was going to fall for that. And her conversation with Amy afterwards was hilarious. Loved that Amy's friendships haven't altered just because she broke up with Sheldon.

• Love 11

I loved Sheldon tonight but that's about it.

I wish they'd left things at 2003 at least for another episode. Off course that could be my mind's thinking we can go back to when the show was so good.

I noticed Raj had his accent when he was singing. I always thought people lost their accents when they sang.

I've always felt the opposite - that you will hear their accent more when they're singing, shouting, etc.  The song that Jennifer Lawrence sang in "Mockingjay" brought out her WV roots bigtime. 

• Love 1

Raj was creeped out by Emily wanting to make out in a cemetery and did talk about dropping her but his lust won out (as it almost always does on this show!) and as far as I remember they left it that they were still a couple.

I'm really sick of Sheldon acting like a child and everyone just placating him. Grow the fuck up already. He's, what, 35ish? I get that he's not "neurotypical", but at a certain point, he needs to get that not everyone's lives revolve around him and his wants. With his doormat friends, though, I wonder if he'll ever get that.

Wait, now liking Indiana Jones is nerdy? One of the most popular, mainstream film franchises ever?

• Love 12

After the fourth time the song was not cute anymore and I didn't like it in the first place.  It wasted the whole premise.  I could have seen them popping up from time to time now that there's a comic store set again.  But without a second song you know it's over.  Something we can dance to?  If they'd have broken into Private Idaho I'd have peed my pants.

I'd also like Penny to put the dining table back up now that the room is cleared out. But yeah, one more episode of 2003 would be great.  Leonard didn't look too happy about the compromise. 

Good for Sheldon for going to see Bernadette.  Good for Amy to turn down the roommate offer that she so recently wanted when it began to dawn on Sheldon that living arrangements would have to change.

Kaley's hair was cute. I love the 70's Wolowitz furniture is still in the comic book store.

Edited by QuelleC
  • Love 5

They did write themselves into a corner but I thought they did a good job with trying to solve it. Sheldon actually did not fight or try to stop the move. He just focused on how he could deal with it. His plan was crazy and funny but he was not forcing his way on anyone. Should he have turned down the offer, of course, but he is still Sheldon.

They did a good job in showing that it was not simple for Leonard either. He missed some of the structure Sheldon brought to his life.

Penny not being a jerk realized that sleeping in the both apartments was not going to really change much in her and Leonard's relationship for the near future.

I do wonder about the rent though. Those terms should be renegotiated.

I liked the song in all of its horribleness.

• Love 10

The show seemed about 10 minutes long with 20 minutes of commercials. I did like the song. The refrain was very catchy.

Otherwise kind of a blah ep. I do like that Sheldon was trying to deal with the situation rather than his usual guilt trip.

If I was Leonard I'd miss all the space of his & Sheldon's apt. Penny's place is so small, with 2 people I'd be claustrophobic.

• Love 1

Surprised that the owner of a comic book store would not know about filk. Stuart was apparently the designated exposition target for that scene.

I enjoyed the song and could dance to it. But H & R should have probably have waited until they had more songs to do a performance. Would not have had to be all original songs; there is plenty of filk.

• Love 2

Wait, now liking Indiana Jones is nerdy? One of the most popular, mainstream film franchises ever?

It's not like "nerds" don't like Indiana Jones. And the 4th one, terrible as it was, launched plenty of atomic bomb vs. refrigerator nerd talk.

Why not get Sheldon a new roommate? Even Friends had the courage to shake up the Chandler/Joey relationship.

Edited by Latverian Diplomat
  • Love 3

I was really happy with the episode and wouldn't change a thing.

Nobody got on my nerves, no storyline bugged me. Everything made sense to me.

It felt warm and fuzzy a couple of times and some of it also made me laugh.

Kudos.

• Love 5

Why not get Sheldon a new roommate? Even Friends had the courage to shake up the Chandler/Joey relationship.

Why didn't they try having new roommates who last only an episode? It would be a great opportunity to try out new funny or strange personalities who try to deal with Sheldon.

I wonder if Leslie Winkle would give the roommate experience a whirl--she could also snark on Leonard and Penny if she runs into them in the hall.

The whole band/singing idea was terrible, IMO. Lame and not funny.

Edited by P3pp3rb1rd
  • Love 2

Why didn't they try having new roommates who last only an episode? It would be a great opportunity to try out new funny or strange personalities who try to deal with Sheldon.

A revolving door of roommates would be pretty funny. 

It would probably only work as a dream sequence but it would be great if they got Steven Yeun to come back just once, maybe dirty or bloody with a machete and say something like "Where I am now? Still better than living here"..

• Love 9

I liked the episode, but my favourite bit (and the most telling) was when Sheldon was listing all the things that were going to be 'special occasions' and he said 'Amy marries someone better than me'. Firstly, I thought Jim Parsons did an excellent job in his delivery, and secondly, it's a massive step for Sheldon to say something like that. He recognises that he has faults.

• Love 12

I liked the filk and the whole band-breakup and Yoko/Emily drama - the rest was blah on a predictable level. As someone wrote above they've cornered themselves with the marriage.

The moment Sheldon admitted to his fear that Amy was going to marry someone else should have been the moment for Penny and Leonard to intervene and make him realize that the future is not set in stone and as far as he has come already if that's how he feels he needs to go further ahead. Instead their giving in was like them affirming every single one of his fears. I know they're trying to sell this as a compromise but quite frankly it's not because Penny and Leonard have done the appartment tango for severals seasons already. It's a thinly veiled return to the status quo.

The one thing standing out was Bernadette and Sheldon having a scene together. It's a dynamic the show has not really explored yet and it could be interesting.

• Love 2

I loved the filk song. I'm shocked that at the end they requested a dance tune. Really? In a comic bookstore?!?!

Why didn't Sheldon ask Raj to be his roommate? Didn't Raj move in one season when Leonard was sleeping at Raj's with his sister?  Sheldon was mighty impressed with Raj's cooking skills and to follow the roommate rules.

I'm wondering if Sheldon will try to recruit Wil Wheaton for roommate.

Not happy with the Amy/Sheldon relationship.  I miss Shamy.  

• Love 4

That sounds like a pretty good idea. It might even breathe new life into the show. That's asking alot but I can dream can't I? I can't imagine Leslie moving in considering the contentious relationship they have. Maybe they could bring back the janitor/physics professor from the Physics Bowl. Or have Zach for a couple of episodes.

I was hoping Emily was gone for good. She's just a weird character that doesn't fit the show IMO. I wish they'd gone with the vet for a steady girlfriend.

• Love 7

Sigh. Just a few minutes in, and I went to check out The Voice.

I did come back (though it seemed like I had to wade through a ton of commercials first), but Sheldon's "oh woe is me, everything's changing" reprise (because I feel like we've been here before) and the "let's form a band" plot point did not do much for me.

Also, when Howard tells Raj "Well, back in school, I always wanted to form a band with a cool name...", I was thinking that this is the kind of thing Howard would have already told Raj during their long friendship. Maybe I missed something when I skipped over to The Voice, because from what I did see, it just seemed too contrived--"oh, by the way, I always wanted to have this band..." "oh, hey, how about filk?..." I felt like these were just actors doing the "Howard and Raj thing". 

I did like the Emily appearance, though. 

Future episode wish: I would like to see Amy helping Kripke with some research again (as she did in season 7 or 8) and him maybe asking her out. Not saying she would actually end up agreeing to a "relationship" with Sheldon's rival--I don't think she would ultimately go for it, knowing that it would really hurt Sheldon-- but I'd like to see this explored. Just my 2 cents.

• Love 4

I hated the reset.  Here I was thinking that Sheldon, Leonard and Penny would reach a new stage in  their relationship and Penny caved!  I do NOT want Leonard to sign a roommate agreement.  He should have the balls to tell Shelly that they are doing him a favor and Shelly should have a little trust.  I usually don't like growth in my tv shows, but nine years of everyone putting Sheldon first is wearing thin.

• Love 14

Why didn't they try having new roommates who last only an episode? It would be a great opportunity to try out new funny or strange personalities who try to deal with Sheldon.

Even better, do it like the secretaries on Murphy Brown with a new goofy one each week!.

I thought it was a good solid episode-not great, not bad, a few laughs.

By the way, Kaley seemed much more engaged in this episode and was into her part.

Emily, twisted as she may be, is way too good looking for Raj. Yes, I know it is shallow, but whatever. And, edited to add, I mean the character, with his nerdy sweaters etc, and not the actor.

Edited by AriAu
  • Love 3

Did I see Laura Spencer's name in the opening credits, right after Kevin Sussman, or did my eyes deceive me?

Just read an article on Yahoo that said she's been upgraded to a series regular.

I was hoping Emily was gone for good. She's just a weird character that doesn't fit the show IMO. I wish they'd gone with the vet for a steady girlfriend.

Me too.  Laura appears to be a fine actress, but there's no real chemistry between her character, Raj, or the rest of the cast.  For the short time we saw Yvette the Vet interact with Lenny, Penny and Raj (hmm, now that sounds like a musical group), there seemed to be a bit of a spark there.

Edited by Winston Wolfe
  • Love 10

This was just a meh episode for me. Not terrible but not terribly funny either. I think the only thing that made me laugh was the band break-up and makeup. Other then that, meh. I will say that I like Emily and was happy to see her again. I loved her reactions to Raj's singing the song for her. 

Though the Sheldon drama was resolved in much the same way as it was in the dining table episode, this time around I was just irritated with the writers. Yes, once again everyone is giving in to Sheldon, but this time it's the forced writing and lack of imagination on the part of the writers to blame. They couldn't come up with anything else other then for Penny to cave? It just feels false and stupid.

• Love 1

I'm really sick of Sheldon acting like a child and everyone just placating him. Grow the fuck up already. He's, what, 35ish? I get that he's not "neurotypical", but at a certain point, he needs to get that not everyone's lives revolve around him and his wants. With his doormat friends, though, I wonder if he'll ever get that.

They did write themselves into a corner but I thought they did a good job with trying to solve it. Sheldon actually did not fight or try to stop the move. He just focused on how he could deal with it. His plan was crazy and funny but he was not forcing his way on anyone. Should he have turned down the offer, of course, but he is still Sheldon.

They did a good job in showing that it was not simple for Leonard either. He missed some of the structure Sheldon brought to his life.

Penny not being a jerk realized that sleeping in the both apartments was not going to really change much in her and Leonard's relationship for the near future.

I do wonder about the rent though. Those terms should be renegotiated.

Though the Sheldon drama was resolved in much the same way as it was in the dining table episode, this time around I was just irritated with the writers. Yes, once again everyone is giving in to Sheldon, but this time it's the forced writing and lack of imagination on the part of the writers to blame. They couldn't come up with anything else other then for Penny to cave? It just feels false and stupid.

Once again, the baby won. Leonard and Penny should not have to negotiate with a man-child with an overinflated sense of himself about where the newlyweds are going to live. If anything showed that Leonard has a case of Stockholm Syndrome, it was this episode. Sheldon didn't provide "structure" to Leonard's life -- he dictated where they slept, where they sat, what they ate for dinner every night. That's not a friend, that's a jailer. 

And, actually, I do think Sheldon was fighting the move, because at the end, when Leonard and Penny say that Leonard will stay at the apartment some of the time, Sheldon jumps in with a "most of the time" comment. 

• Love 10

Sheldon did not fight the move. He just had Leonard sign off on the roomate agreement and he started to interview new roomates.  That is not someone fighting the move.  In addition, he realized that he had to figure out a way to adjust to the change.  He came up with the 2003 solution.  It is not Sheldon's fault that Penny and Leonard "caved".  That is on them. 

My "structure comment" was only to reference that Leonard was having a hard time adjusting to the move also. He was having trouble with his new found freedom.

I will admit that I am a viewer who has little sympathy for the rest of the friends in regards to their complaints about Sheldon getting is way.  You can't complain if you go along with it.  They created this out of control person.  Is Sheldon responsible for his own actions? Of course. But if they had just stood their ground a few times, he would not be as bad as he is.  Though this was not one of those cases.  Sheldon was dealing with the move on his own (very poorly maybe) and he grasped at the lifeline that was thrown at him by Penny and Leonard.

• Love 8

I enjoyed this episode, so that's 4 for 4 so far this year.  I do wish they (the writers) had left Leonard and Penny living in her apartment, but if it's just for sleeping, then I suppose it's not much different than everyone spending time in the guys' apartment anyway.

• Love 1

Emily, twisted as she may be, is way too good looking for Raj. Yes, I know it is shallow, but whatever. And, edited to add, I mean the character, with his nerdy sweaters etc, and not the actor.

Word. Kind of like how Penny is too good looking for Leonard and Bernadette is too good looking for Howard. It's definitely male nerd fantasy.

But yeah, Emily is definitely in another league of attractiveness than Raj. Kunal Nayyar isn't bad looking at all, but Raj? Someone as metro as him should have gotten a clue about the grandpa sweaters years ago.

• Love 1

Actually, Sheldon is not a baby who gets his way. They are all adults and if the others give in to him then that's on them, not Sheldon. Think of the episode where they were trying to match up a Sheldon-approved movie theatre with a Sheldon-approved restaurant, and realized it couldn't be done, so,they went without him. Even Sheldon agreed.

If anything, Leonard is the man-child. First he lives with Sheldon and abides by his myriad of rules, now he moves into Penny's apartment with all her stuff. Logically, he would have a bunch of things to take with him, but he just tries to adapt to her apartment and her things. Not the way newlyweds normally form a household. And then he discovers that he kinda likes the structure Sheldon provided. Frankly, Penny has it good - a husband to sleep with, dine with and go out with, but she still has her own place.

And while the revolving roommate idea would be fun, it goes against everything we know about Sheldon. A guy who can't adjust to change - to the point that losing his roommate to a marriage that he knew was coming for two years is difficult - is not going to want a different roommate every few weeks. Sheldon makes huge demands of his roommates and would not impulsively have a different person move in with him regularly.

The only way it might work is if they used people he already knew, as mention upthread - Stuart, Kripke, Leslie, Raj, Wil Whaton, Zach, that guy who he hired to be his drug addicted cousin, etc. But then they have to think of reasons why these people need to suddenly move, and why in with Sheldon? Too unrealistic.

• Love 7

Frankly, Penny has it good - a husband to sleep with, dine with and go out with, but she still has her own place.

I had the same thought, I could totally go for that kind of an arrangement.  Leonard shares a bathroom with Sheldon and Penny gets her own!  Besides, it's just across the hall, it's not like they would be living across town.  I've known many married couples that have had housemates.  This is practically the same set up.

• Love 10

I was enjoying it right up till they decided to keep paying two rents. This time, it wasn't Sheldon's fault or his doing. He was more thant willing to let them go. For once in this series, Sheldon was an adult. I hurt for him in the beginning. So many changes. All so big, and he's desperately trying to find a way to adapt, to deal with the absence of his 'peeps.'

I wish the Hofstaeders would just admit they can't live together without Sheldon, and make room for him in whatever living arangement (house, apartment, etc.) they settle on. I'm cool with that. He is, after all, their "child."

Never heard of Filk music before last night. That was one catchy song, yes?

I wish they'd make up their minds about Stuart. They keep going back and forth between being a lonely, desperate to be needed needy guy to a lazy sponge who refuses to pay his own way. The comic book store looked plenty busy to me. I don't like what they've done to his character. He used to be so low-key-cool, like someone you could actually see Penny ending up with.

Overall, I'd give this episode a solid B+. Not old-school-funny, but good none the less.

• Love 6

I didn't think the song was funny at all.  But that may be because as soon as they said "Thor and Dr. Jones" I immediately assumed that they would do something more self referential like a mash up of Thor's hammer makes no sense and Indiana Jones is irrelevant with Bernadette/Amy/Penny somehow forced into being backup singers because they are the originators of those concepts in the show.  I was expecting them to walk in on a rehearsal and improve the song.  Well not expecting, but hopeful.

• Love 1

Word. Kind of like how Penny is too good looking for Leonard and Bernadette is too good looking for Howard. It's definitely male nerd fantasy.

I can see the pairings as they are now and accept them despite whatever differing degrees of "hotness" there might be what I don't like, and where I think the male nerd fantasy really comes into play, is with all the hot women Leonard has had in his life.  We never saw that so much with Howard, his hot girls really were usually dream girls for the most part, but when they started ret-conning Leonard as having had quite a few relationships in his supposedly lonely nerd past I thought "uh huh, sure".

• Love 3

I was really happy with the episode and wouldn't change a thing.

There's a lot I'd change, but you know what, it's the first episode that got a laugh out of me all season, so I'll take it.

Laura appears to be a fine actress, but there's no real chemistry between her character, Raj, or the rest of the cast.

I agree. I thought Laura Spencer was wonderful in "The Lizzie Bennet Diaries" but on this show she's the human equivalent of... well, I was going to say wallpaper but some wallpaper can be really interesting.

• Love 1

Why would Raj want to move in with Sheldon? He's seen what Leonard's had to put up with all these years. He has his own place, can afford it and enjoy his privacy and freedom. I can't see him signing any roommate agreement especially when it comes to his girlfriend sleeping over. He stayed there before only because Leonard was having inaccurate Star Trek sex with his sister, Priya. And I think Raj's apt is a one bedroom. (Have we ever seen Raj's bedroom?)

I do agree with everyone who says that Emily doesn't really fit in with the rest of the cast. Sorry she signed on as a regular (as needed).

Someone above mentioned Sheldon having a hard time with revolving roommates and although that would shake the show up alittle, I can't see Sheldon going for it. Too much change, too fast.

I miss Bernie & Howard's apt. I'd like to see them redecorate. Mrs. W's place is depressing. Those flowered sofas! Their apt was really cute.

• Love 2

Why would Raj want to move in with Sheldon? He's seen what Leonard's had to put up with all these years. He has his own place, can afford it and enjoy his privacy and freedom. I can't see him signing any roommate agreement especially when it comes to his girlfriend sleeping over. He stayed there before only because Leonard was having inaccurate Star Trek sex with his sister, Priya.

Yes, yes, yes, and yes. So the only way I can see it happening is if Raj and his family suddenly had a serious financial loss. Wasn't there a plot that involved a fake financial loss to get his parents to reconcile or something? Anyway, this would have to be a real one, which isn't very comedic. The only other way I could see it is if Raj's building burned down and it was temporary. Presumably all tenants survived, were insured, and didn't lose anything tragically irreplacable. Yeah, I know, but it's just a TV show.

ETA: I agree with those above that having a few episodes of a revolving door of roommates would be better than Leonard moving back. Maybe that can still happen?

Edited by shapeshifter