Type keyword(s) to search

Caitlyn Jenner: Call Me Caitlyn

• Start Topic

I'm kind of speechless. I keep looking at her, and searching for Bruce.  It's a beautifully done photo, very glamorous looking.  

It's interesting, Vanity Fair says to read her story.  I never considered that Caitlin has a story, I assumed that her story and Bruce's story were one in the same.  But am I wrong?  Does Caitlin have her own story to tell?  

• Love 1

I can't help it - I giggled that Caitlyn awesomely stole Kim's pregger thunder. AND that he chose a name that could easily be spelled with a K, but isn't!

She looks gorgeous!

She looks better than I  thought she would, but we all know photoshop can work wonders. But I can't help but have a twinge of sympathy for Kylie and Kendall. No matter how much they love their dad, it's got to be tough to deal with this... and so public also. 

I wonder if Kim had them show the big reveal of her pregnancy last night, knowing this cover would hit the net today?

Kris must be dying. And to top it off Kim is gushing over Bruce's appearance... she's incredible, so beautiful etc.

• Love 6
(edited)

Bruce looks great, to be honest. The plastic surgery that looked weird and off-putting on a guy looks great on a woman. It's kind of a shame when you think what could have been if he had gone through this back in the 80's like he wanted to.

Edited by methodwriter85
  • Love 4
(edited)

Meet Caitlyn Jenner! (Vanity Fair's cover...it's official.)

Not for nothing, I a) think it's a beautiful shot, and b) love that this will take over Kim's baby news like whoa.

It already has. Kim's baby news isn't even trending on my Facebook feed anymore and she just announced last night. Meanwhile Bruce managed to make Fox News with his Vanity Fair cover, so yes, Caitlin is kicking Kim's ass big time. If a rabidly right-wing news outlet makes you the top story on their FB page, that's called winning. Edited by BitterApple
  • Love 3
(edited)

More photos from the shoot.

http://www.justjared.com/2015/06/01/khloe-kardashian-posts-support-for-caitlyn-jenners-debut/

Vanity Fair says there's going to be family members in the article. " Pulitzer Prize–winning contributing editor and author of Friday Night Lights Buzz Bissinger, who was given unfettered access to Jenner and her family, chronicles the tensions, traumas, and courage that shaped Caitlyn into the woman you see today."

Edited by Artsda
  • Love 2
(edited)

Caitlyn wasn't really used as a name until the 1970's, but whatever. It did make me think of this interview with noted trans surgeon, Marci Bowers, who bemoaned older patients picking names that don't fit their age/generation.

Edited by methodwriter85
  • Love 1

Wow, Bruce's mess of plastic surgeries came together awesomely for Caitlyn. Well done! She looks beautiful. 

And I'm glad to know I'm not the only one whose first thoughts were 'Wow, this certainly up staged Kim's announcement.' Kim and Kris must be stroking out about now. 

• Love 5

Caitlyn is beautiful, and I'm so happy for her! I can't imagine the struggle she's been through. The cover is gorgeous and very well done. I'm so happy for Caitlyn!

On a more vapid note,

A) I love that it's Caitlyn with a C. Suck it, Kris. It also matches his daughter Casey.

B) I also love that this is the day after Kim's announcement. I know it's hard to read too much into these things, but I can only hope this was an intentional middle finger to Kimye.

• Love 4
(edited)

Preview of the article. All 3 ex-wives are interviewed (including Kris), Bruce's mother and the 4 older bio kids. Some of whom knew for 20+ years because their mom told them, so obviously it'll be easier for them for all this when they knew for so long and had no relationship with Bruce compared to the other 6 kids.

http://www.vanityfair.com/hollywood/2015/06/caitlyn-jenner-bruce-cover-annie-leibovitz?mbid=social_facebook

Edited by Artsda

Caitlyn wasn't really used as a name until the 1970's, but whatever. It did make me think of this interview with noted trans surgeon, Marci Bowers, who bemoaned older patients picking names that don't fit their age/generation.

Off topic, but that drives me crazy with TV shows and movies! Whenever I see a hunky male lead named Aiden which didn't enter the top 1000 until 1995, I kind of role my eyes. (Sorry, Sex and the City) Only exception was Aiden on Revenge, because the character was Irish. I'm kind of a name nerd, and I love observing the way names trend.

Anyway, I'm not going to try to pretend I know why Caitlyn picked her name, as opposed to Carol or Susan or Nancy. The only thing that I can think of is that Caitlyn and all of it's variants gained a lot of popularity around the time that Bruce's kids were born, so it probably seemed like a "new," or "fresh" name, even though it's been around for awhile now.

• Love 1

I don't think Bruce did anything to manipulate/steal Kim and Kanye's thunder or to give them the metaphorical finger. Vanity Fair has its own promo and publication schedule and I think it's one of the few publications that is definitely not kowtowing to the Kardashians (in various pop culture stories, whenever anything Kardashian is mentioned, it's usually in disparaging/condescending terms). In fact, I was a wee bit surprised it put Bruce/Caitlyn on the cover, however, it has a bit of a track record when it comes to cover shots (naked, pregnant Demi Moore) and I can imagine that Bruce jumped at the chance to roll Caitlyn out to the world via Vanity Fair because it carries more weight than, say, Us or People.

I imagine the pregnancy/Caitlyn timing is just an unfortunate (for Kim) coincidence.

I think Caitlyn does look great. If I were to peel back all the Kardashian stench and bullshit from this and look at Bruce/Caitlyn as a random person, I am happy for her. However I am so tired of the fact that pretty much everything all of them do is either in front of the camera or leading up to be captured on camera. Their lives are a storyline to be exploited. I don't feel like Caitlyn is the result of a storyline, I think it's one of the rare instances of real life for someone in this family and for that reason, I'm having a bit of a hard time with him making a television show out of it. I am looking forward to reading the article to see what she says and if/how it affects my opinion of her.

• Love 5

And I'm glad to know I'm not the only one whose first thoughts were 'Wow, this certainly up staged Kim's announcement.' Kim and Kris must be stroking out about now.

LOL - I thought the same thing too.  (Also read that Cheban tweeted the pregancy news prior to the announcement, in a tweet since removed, so Kim and Kanye must be doubly frosted).

I think she looks great, and I'm happy for her.

• Love 1

LOL - I thought the same thing too. (Also read that Cheban tweeted the pregancy news prior to the announcement, in a tweet since removed, so Kim and Kanye must be doubly frosted).

I think she looks great, and I'm happy for her.

Wow. Jonathan had one job, and that was to be Kim's bitch an appease her in everything he says and does. And he failed.

• Love 4
(edited)

Ok, (s)he looks great.  Good for her.

I just get a weird vibe from all of this.  Is her really serious about being a true woman, or is this all about playing glamorous dress up?  Seems almost like a weird delayed mid-life crisis.  Did we really need to see a shot of him exposed in his undergarments?   Just does not ring sincere to me.  Can't really put my finger on it exactly.  Is he tucking in that photo or is it already gone?

Mark my words---nude shoot when the operations are complete.  Something about all of this is off to me and just feels like attention whoring to the ultimate degree.  Almost seems more about someone desparate to be young rather than desparate to be a woman.  Even the name he picked seems really odd and makes me think of a pre-teen or school aged girl.  So ironic isn't it that it could be mistakenly spelled with a "K".  What happened to Belinda?

Edited by Joan van Snark
  • Love 3
(edited)

In fact, I was a wee bit surprised it put Bruce/Caitlyn on the cover, however, it has a bit of a track record when it comes to cover shots (naked, pregnant Demi Moore) and I can imagine that Bruce jumped at the chance to roll Caitlyn out to the world via Vanity Fair because it carries more weight than, say, Us or People.

Plus, it was Annie Leibovitz, known for her cutting edge celebrity cover shots for VF (naked, pregnant Demi Moore among them). I imagine the opportunity to have a in depth article in VF along with photos by Leibovitz was very appealing.

On a shallow note, I like the picture of her in the black dress much better, and I think it would have made a better cover. But that's why I'm typing in these forums and not sitting at a desk in the VF offices, I guess. : )

Edited by mwell345
  • Love 3
(edited)

I just get a weird vibe from all of this.  Is her really serious about being a true woman, or is this all about playing glamorous dress up?  Seems almost like a weird delayed mid-life crisis.  Did we really need to see a shot of him exposed in his undergarments?   Just does not ring sincere to me.  Can't really put my finger on it exactly.  Is he tucking in that photo or is it already gone?

Mark my words---nude shoot when the operations are complete.  Something about all of this is off to me and just feels like attention whoring to the ultimate degree.  Almost seems more about someone desparate to be young rather than desparate to be a woman.  Even the name he picked seems really odd and makes me think of a pre-teen or school aged girl.  So ironic isn't it that it could be mistakenly spelled with a "K".  What happened to Belinda?

Belinda was just a name floating around the gossip sites - nothing ever confirmed.  Caitlyn is actually a very popular name.  Her oldest daughter is name Casey.  She will always have her naysayers, but I am hoping she will be able to inspire many.

Gotta admit she looks great. She stoled Kims thunder.

I can't see how this has anything to do Kim and stealing her thunder.  It's her 2nd child.  The media coverage would not be on the same scale. 

Edited by escape

Wow she looks good... For a woman in her sixties, she looks great!!

Very poor outfit choice on the cover though - also someone teach this girl how to tuck!

On a side note, I remember how Bruce would always stress how she is not like a Kardashian and how she is very classy... From what I've seen, she's about as classy as Kimmy, she looks like just another Kardashian...

Boy she's HOT HOT HOT!

Pounds of makeup, hair extensions, photo shopped to death. Please, she's 65. Oh, and where did those huge tits come from all of a sudden. Anyway, happy for her. Even if it's all just an illusion. 

• Love 2

Not one of the Jenner kids is appearing on her show .So thats just Khloe.Kourt and Kim then.

http://www.cosmopolitan.com/entertainment/celebs/news/a41291/caitlyn-jenner-vanity-fair-pronouns-parenting-paparazzi/

That said, the magazine confirms that Kendall and Kylie will not appear in Caitlyn's E! docuseries, which will discuss her transition. Though she says she understands their decision, Caitlyn says she was "terribly disappointed and terribly hurt" when they first declined to participate.

Writer Buzz Bissinger reveals that Jenner’s older children, Burt, Cassandra, Brandon, and Brody—from two marriages prior to the Jenner-Kardashian union—have refused to appear on the upcoming E! reality show that will document Caitlyn’s life in the wake of her transition to womanhood.
Despite numerous entreaties from their father as well as the head of E! programming, the Jenner children refuse to participate, forgoing financial gain and exposure in the process. At first their decision did not seem to register with Caitlyn. She kept hoping they could be persuaded because she knows from eight years on Keeping Up with the Kardashians the necessity of a family dynamic for ratings success. When she realized the decision was final, she became increasingly frustrated and on one occasion hurled profanities. She told me she felt “terribly disappointed and terribly hurt.”

Plus, it was Annie Leibovitz, known for her cutting edge celebrity cover shots for VF (naked, pregnant Demi Moore among them). I imagine the opportunity to have a in depth article in VF along with photos by Leibovitz was very appealing.

On a shallow note, I like the picture of her in the black dress much better, and I think it would have made a better cover. But that's why I'm typing in these forums and not sitting at a desk in the VF offices, I guess. : )

Annie Leibovitz, who didn't make it to  photograph Kanye and KIm's wedding?  Interesting!!

• Love 1
(edited)

Your comment is very insightful.   Jenner exhibits all the hallmark behavior of a narcissistic, fetishistic crossdresser.   There are thousands of them on the web, posting their photos in lingerie and glam clothes, using girly, teenage names and trying to appear younger and more glamorous than they really are, waiting in desperation for people to come along and tell them how gorgeous they appear.   They get off on it.   Jenner has simply taken that to the nth degree.

Edited by millennium
  • Love 2

I'm sorry but I just can't seem to totally get on board with this. I know that he's been unhappy living as a man. I get that. I know that now he'll be happy being who he was really meant to be. I understand that and commend him for his bravery on moving forward. But I must be so bad because when I saw the photo for the first time I chuckled instinctively because my brain screamed "hey, that's Bruce in underwear!"  My mind was telling me 'un-see that right now!' So I felt guilty for chuckling. I don't think he looks marvelous sorry, but maybe it's because I know most of the looks there are a conglomerate of a whole bunch of different plastic surgeries.

I wish him happiness, I really do. And, I hope he achieves what he said he hopes to, to bring transgenders out of the darkness and accepted by people mainstream, just like everyone else. Okay that's done, he's out, he's Caitlin, he did a Vanity Fair cover, now let it be done with. I don't want to have to see Caitlin gracing the cover of every magazine and weekly gossip paper while I'm standing in the supermarket line for months to come.

• Love 1

Pounds of makeup, hair extensions, photo shopped to death. Please, she's 65. Oh, and where did those huge tits come from all of a sudden. Anyway, happy for her. Even if it's all just an illusion. 

You just described all of the Kardashian's.  The huge tits came from implants which they also have. When has any of them looked authentic? Are Kim, Khloe, etc all an illusion? 

Where does the narcissist end and the woman, the human being,  begin?   All I see is a heavily shopped,  lit, and idealized set of photos.   I'm not Annie Leibowitz, but I'm confident I could take anyone here, sight unseen,   and make them look better.  Sure, she looks fine,   but having money can buy you a somewhat pleasing appearance.   Those are just pictures of a shell, no human spark in them.  This is Bruce's idea of what a woman is-Tits, hair, nails, makeup, shoes.   It's shallow.

Caitlyn my dear,  most of us women aren't obsessed with our appearance.   You are, because you think that's how most women think, and because you're a self centered hoo haw.    Being part of the Kardashian family has perverted your views on women, I'm sure.

If Caitlyn truly wanted to "change the world"  (that's not self important at ALL) she would have convinced E that she wanted to produce a show about average people who are transitioning,  show their daily life and struggles, and compensate them fairly.     But no, she has to make the big bucks flaunting herself. 

• Love 8

You just described all of the Kardashian's.  The huge tits came from implants which they also have. When has any of them looked authentic? Are Kim, Khloe, etc all an illusion?

Well, there is Kendall. As for Caitlyn, she's going to have to be somewhat manufactured because she simply wasn't born that way. As well, I'm sure there was great lighting, a ton of makeup and some photoshop involved in making her look as great as she looks in the shots we're seeing. I can't argue with that too much because it is Vanity Fair and it is Annie Leibovitz and it is par for the course for the big magazines to do that with every cover shot.

This quote from Humbugged's post above:

Despite numerous entreaties from their father as well as the head of E! programming, the Jenner children refuse to participate, forgoing financial gain and exposure in the process. At first their decision did not seem to register with Caitlyn. She kept hoping they could be persuaded because she knows from eight years on Keeping Up with the Kardashians the necessity of a family dynamic for ratings success. When she realized the decision was final, she became increasingly frustrated and on one occasion hurled profanities. She told me she felt “terribly disappointed and terribly hurt.”

now that really bothers me. Maybe I'm misreading the court of public opinion out there, but it seems to me that many many people have supported this whole transition story. It's a hell of a lot easier for me, who has absolutely no personal connection to Bruce Jenner to accept his transition to Caitlyn. The fact that her kids are not playing according to her plan/wishes is entirely understandable. We're talking about a parent who by many accounts was basically an apathetic/absent father -- quite possibly because he was living this inner turmoil about his gender identity. To expect them to accept it enough to play it all out on national television is really over the top and, I think, demanding and insensitive of Caitlyn. Where is her sensitivity to the lives she's disrupting??? I'm kind of in the mind of fuck her. Kylie's out doing who the fuck knows with who the fuck cares at 17 years old and Caitlyn's upset because she won't be on the tv show??? Priorities, asshole! Be upset about her fucking a 25 year old man, not because she won't be in your stupid self-promoting, self-aggrandizing tv show. Argh!

And the line that I bolded really stands out because I feel like she's exploiting the situation for money and attention (which really, does she really need more of that?). I would like to think that there's going to be some sensitive advocacy for transgender issues in all this, but this is leading me to believe that there's a lot of going for the gold in a whole new way with this. I guess the one saving grace is that if the LGBT community feels it's being exploited in all of this, it will make its voice heard. And that will be a very good thing because it doesn't need someone going through this journey publicly merely as a crass money grab.

How quickly I'm turning. I guess I should read the whole article before I make judgments, but based on the excerpted quotes, gah! I'm a long-time subscriber to Vanity Fair, so I'll definitely read the piece. I guess for sentiment's sake (you know, the whole Bruce on the Wheaties box thing) I was hoping I'd come away with a good feeling about this, but now I'm having some serious doubts.

• Love 5

Your comment is very insightful.   Jenner exhibits all the hallmark behavior of a narcissistic, fetishistic crossdresser.   There are thousands of them on the web, posting their photos in lingerie and glam clothes, using girly, teenage names and trying to appear younger and more glamorous than they really are, waiting in desperation for people to come along and tell them how gorgeous they appear.   They get off on it.   Jenner has simply taken that to the nth degree.

Brandon said he was a little taken aback when he saw Caitlyn for the first time after surgery and she pulled her top up to reveal her new breasts. “Whoa, I’m still your son,” he reminded her.

http://www.vanityfair.com/hollywood/2015/06/caitlyn-jenner-bruce-cover-annie-leibovitz

Where does the narcissist end and the woman, the human being,  begin?   All I see is a heavily shopped,  lit, and idealized set of photos.   

Well, for one thing, I think most people would want to look their best if they're going to be on the cover of a magazine, & that includes all the photoshop they have. That's the norm for magazine covers, so I don't have a problem with it. Also, this is the first time people have seen Caitlyn, so of course she's going to want to look her best. Whether you're born a female or become one through surgery, nobody wants to look ugly.

That quote about Brandon & the boobs is making me laugh, flashing your junk at someone is such a guy thing to do, I guess Caitlyn is going to have to work on her female responses, showing your son your boobs is just wrong.

• Love 3
(edited)

I'm happy Caitlyn is now the person she's always felt she was, but I do think she's going to prove to be more of a vapid twit than Kris is. I am willing to cut her some slack since she no longer is living a secret life and can go out as a woman, but I'm gonna need her to be more than, boobs, makeup, and hair. 

Edited by Fostersmom
  • Love 3

How about taking the famewhore money, and putting it where your mouth is?   How about funding a foundation which helps young transgender people who have no access to counseling, surgery, hormones,  maybe need a temporary home and help getting a job?

I'll eat my words if she does so, but right now, I'm just seeing an avaricious old woman who wants attention and money.

• Love 12

now that really bothers me. Maybe I'm misreading the court of public opinion out there, but it seems to me that many many people have supported this whole transition story. It's a hell of a lot easier for me, who has absolutely no personal connection to Bruce Jenner to accept his transition to Caitlyn. The fact that her kids are not playing according to her plan/wishes is entirely understandable. We're talking about a parent who by many accounts was basically an apathetic/absent father -- quite possibly because he was living this inner turmoil about his gender identity. To expect them to accept it enough to play it all out on national television is really over the top and, I think, demanding and insensitive of Caitlyn. Where is her sensitivity to the lives she's disrupting??? I'm kind of in the mind of fuck her. Kylie's out doing who the fuck knows with who the fuck cares at 17 years old and Caitlyn's upset because she won't be on the tv show??? Priorities, asshole! Be upset about her fucking a 25 year old man, not because she won't be in your stupid self-promoting, self-aggrandizing tv show. Argh!

Lots of very interesting comments on this thread, but the above stood out for me because I too was bothered by his reaction to his his kids not participating.   I don't know much about the Jenner kids, but I think it would hard enough to deal with this if it was private, much less playing out in the public arena.   If they don't want to participate, Caitlin, as their father should have respected their decision immediately.  Why add to their burden?

As for Kylie and Kendall, the same thing applies, but there is a difference.  I read recently where one of them said that because of KUWTK, they have had cameras following them for 8 years and it's the norm for them.   In light of that, their desire not to participate indicates to me that they are having some trouble with this transformation, and again, regardless of their reasons, their decision should be respected.

• Love 4

Belinda was just a name floating around the gossip sites - nothing ever confirmed. Caitlyn is actually a very popular name. Her oldest daughter is name Casey. She will always have her naysayers, but I am hoping she will be able to inspire many.

I can't see how this has anything to do Kim and stealing her thunder. It's her 2nd child. The media coverage would not be on the same scale.

The Kardashians are known for attention. Whenever the attention isn't on them they magically get it back on them. It's not a coincidence that this happen at the same time.

Did anyone of the k clan get a vanity fair cover solo? Caitlin is the first...

(edited)
How about taking the famewhore money, and putting it where your mouth is?   How about funding a foundation which helps young transgender people who have no access to counseling, surgery, hormones,  maybe need a temporary home and help getting a job?

I'll eat my words if she does so, but right now, I'm just seeing an avaricious old woman who wants attention and money.

Avaricious and old, certainly.

I would find it less than decorous if a cis-gendered 65-year-old woman were to appear in a bustier and panties on a magazine cover.

Jenner doing it strikes me as crass, ugly and exploitative.    Not to mention a wholesale reinforcement of many negative stereotypes of transgendered people -- that their idea of being female is all about wearing lingerie and playing dress-up while sidestepping the real hardships and challenges of being a woman.

Jenner is possibly the worst thing to happen to the transgendered community in a very long time.

Edited by millennium
  • Love 6

Or desperate to be another Kardashian ho. I feel your vibe. 

• Love 4

Where does the narcissist end and the woman, the human being,  begin?   All I see is a heavily shopped,  lit, and idealized set of photos.   I'm not Annie Leibowitz, but I'm confident I could take anyone here, sight unseen,   and make them look better.  Sure, she looks fine,   but having money can buy you a somewhat pleasing appearance.   Those are just pictures of a shell, no human spark in them.  This is Bruce's idea of what a woman is-Tits, hair, nails, makeup, shoes.   It's shallow.

Caitlyn my dear,  most of us women aren't obsessed with our appearance.   You are, because you think that's how most women think, and because you're a self centered hoo haw.    Being part of the Kardashian family has perverted your views on women, I'm sure.

If Caitlyn truly wanted to "change the world"  (that's not self important at ALL) she would have convinced E that she wanted to produce a show about average people who are transitioning,  show their daily life and struggles, and compensate them fairly.     But no, she has to make the big bucks flaunting herself. 

Brava!

• Love 1

Or desperate to be another Kardashian ho. I feel your vibe. 

This is the feeling I'm getting too.  

I am bothered by the name Caitlyn.  It seems like if you were trying to distance yourself from the Kardashian girls as you say, there's probably about a bazillion cute, feminine names that don't start with the hard C/K.  

I don't see it as distancing yourself at all.  I see it as desperately attempting to fit in with the Kardashian girls plus Kendall and Kylie while being conscious (probably because of a PR person) of needing an "out" for those who would criticize you for it. 

• Love 2

This is the feeling I'm getting too.  

I am bothered by the name Caitlyn.  It seems like if you were trying to distance yourself from the Kardashian girls as you say, there's probably about a bazillion cute, feminine names that don't start with the hard C/K.  

I don't see it as distancing yourself at all.  I see it as desperately attempting to fit in with the Kardashian girls plus Kendall and Kylie while being conscious (probably because of a PR person) of needing an "out" for those who would criticize you for it. 

OTOH, as a "new" woman, look at the examples she has been living with these past 20+ years, like Kylie, she has only grown up with only slutty examples of woman hood and that's what she reflects-Am I making any sense?

I think as a 65 yea,r old she could have gone with a more mature name and look, if she wanted to be taken seriously.

• Love 5

When Bruce and Khloe were sitting by his pool at the new house waiting for Kylie, the spectacular views and the talk of whale watching and fantastic sun rises and private roads... How can s/he even begin to relate to or be relatable to others that will never have a fraction of what s/he has? The circle of people /society that s/he is a part of won't turn its back, indeed it will be welcoming and friendly if only to bask in the attention and publicity that comes with being in the aura around Caitlyn. And IMO right now s/he's so enjoying the attention and spotlight, from family that has pretty much ignored her for years and from a public that has almost forgetter the great accomplishments of the Olympics and is now fascinated again.

• Love 3
(edited)

Caitlyn would never be able to convince E to do that type of show.  There won't be an audience for it. 

Whereas I'm pretty sure that all the critics, naysayers will be watching the series with Caitlyn.

Edited by escape
  • Love 1