Type keyword(s) to search

S02.E01: The Devils Are Here

photo fox
  • Start Topic

My favorite imagine was Cookie and Bobo and Andre power walking into the boardroom...while Hakeem buzzes over in his hoverboard while texting. I missed you Hakeen.

I fell out. Slow mo power stroll ... and here he comes on a hover board,

I also fell out at Boo Boo Kitty tweaking with Mimi did her best Seinfeld Elaine impression - and the fact that they actually Did It!

I am a Chris Rock fan - I shelled out to see him on his last tour - but he was not convincing to me as a kingpin, even with the extra bass he put in his voice.

Some of Cookie's fashions were iffy. I wasn't a fan of the green eye and pink lip (my mom's an AKA, but still ...) or the patchwork jacked with the chunky belt.

I hate Terence Howard as a person, but he can turn it on and off as Lucious. When he said "Who's messing with you?" his whole demeanor changed, and you could see their history resurface.

When I saw Miss Lawrence, I fell out again. My shows collided! That's a great get for him.

"Don't worry your pretty little weave ..." Lord, I missed this show.

• Love 8

I was about to have a damn drinking game after seeing all those cameos in the beginning...and I was NOT ready to see Al Sharpton and then Don Lemonade back-to-back like that. That was nightmare fuel. I have a feeling these cameos are gonna get worse as the season goes on, so I need to stock up on the wine.

This premiere was all over the place. This was like a spillover from that insane season 1 finale, this episode didn't pull itself together till the end and then it got to be interesting and focused. The music was also terrible as well.

Also what in the hell was up with Cookie in the gorilla suit in the cage? I cringed so hard at that and that weak attempt at tying in Lucious' prison stint with #BlackLivesMatter . Good lord. That shit was so mocking. But this show is on FOX so I should know better. That whole beginning scene was embarrassing. Lee Daniels really showed his ass with that.

Even in all that mess tonight, the interactions between Taraji and Terence are golden. They have great chemistry and they elevate the show, w/o them this show would be in tatters. Their scenes together were the best of the night. Marisa Tomei was another positive addition in this episode, I'm curious at what they are going to do with her character and Tyra Ferrell who will forever be Ricky's mom and Jessie from Poetic Justice to me. 

• Love 6

The show goes through so many plot points so fast that I lost track at times. It took me a moment to remember who Frank, Terence, and Jermal were. I completely missed the cannibalism. And I wish it would stop with the multiple new characters every episode. What was Marisa Tomei's character there to do, and how was Lucious able to turn it to his advantage? 

The best parts were the family dynamics. It'll be interesting if Cookie goes from being Jamal's biggest cheerleader to his biggest enemy. And when are we going to know more about the aftermath to the death of Vernon?

• Love 2

The show goes so fast it makes my head spin.  I love it.  I hate it when shows drag plots on and on and on and on, just get to the point already and move the fuck on.  

I like how the guest stars come in and then they leave.  

I liked Chris Rock in that part.  If someone is a powerful drug dealer, they have to be smart, not as smart as Lucious though.  

Marisa Tomei's character was going to be involved in a hostile takeover by Cookie and Hakeem but Lucious saw her on TV sitting with Cookie and sensed something was wrong, so he told Jamal to find out who she was; I guess Jamal found out and DUN DUN DUN!!!! Hostile takeover averted, Empire is nothing without Lucious.  I loved seeing his big old face on the plasma screen in the boardroom.  

Terrence Howard might be batshit crazy, though I know fans who've met him and said he was very nice, but he's great as Lucious though.

• Love 7

Enjoyable enough while watching, but a lot of stuff at least raises questions if you think about it. 

All last season, Luscious was wooing people to get to take Empire public. It seemed like he was reaching out to basically everyone with money. IIRC, they signed off on things before he got arrested. So first of all, where was Whiteman when he was trying to line up all these investors? Second, how would he or Jamal not know who she is on sight? I get that Jamal doesn't know every LGBT person, but it seems Whiteman is someone who would be fairly prominent in that community. It seems like she doesn't exactly keep a low profile, and someone who can just dump $250 mill without a sweat (and who happens to be a very out lesbian/bisexual) would be a person who might be on Luscious's radar. Finally, how would her $250 million investment turn the tide in the company? 

Also, you get an Oscar-winning actress in Marisa Tomei, and this is the best you have for her?

Luscious must have some sorry-ass lawyers if they can't get him out on bond for more than three months. As far as we know, he has no actual criminal record, extensive ties to the community and plenty of assets to put up as collateral. There is little evidence that he is a danger to the community.

I can't even with the new prosecutor. She shows up and tries to offer Luscious a deal without the aforementioned sorry-ass attorneys present. Which as Luscious pointed out is unethical. Also, did she really have to wear her "LOOK AT MY BOOBS!" top to prison? And she tries to rattle his cage by talking about Vernon giving him up. Shouldn't both of them be well aware that Vernon hasn't been seen or heard from for three months?

Like everyone else, I loved the marching/hoverboarding to the boardroom scene. But wasn't BBK fired from Empire and didn't she go over to whatever the rival company?

When Frank sends Cookie that head (and could someone remind me of whose it was), rather than get into protective custody or flee the area, Cookie gathers everyone at Luscious's mansion. Where they have already been successfully attacked by a rando drug dealer, rather than the kingpin that Frank Gathers was supposed to be.

• Love 5

Oh show, how I've missed thee!

That was a batshit crazy hour of television and I'm so glad to see they haven't lost a beat in season 2 so far. I want to grab Jamal and just whisk him as far away as possible from Lucious lol!

Lucious still don't want nobody, man or woman, to have summa his Cookie. And she put Boo Boo Kitty to work lol!

All hail the Queen, y'all!

I almost forgot, raise it up for Petey Pablo, yo!

Edited by Badsamaritan
  • Love 3

It was great. It did take me out of the scene when Lucious' hair kept changing in some of the prison scenes. In several scenes it was really short-practically bald (actually makes him look a lot younger) and then in a couple of scenes with Chris Rock, it was longer. Come on continuity people, these details really matter! Same thing with Cookie's "bun of power". 

I'll admit, I didn't get a lot of the references to some of the current rap artists and I know that they are making a reference of some kind, but I did get the Donnie McClurkin reference and I kind of loved that. Big fan of his here. 

There were some comments about how bad Marissa Tomei looked and all the plastic surgery she had. I beg to differ. I don't think that she looks like she has had any surgery. In my opinion, it was because her hair was very different (and color) and she had a LOT of eye makeup on and that can be quite severe and aging. The wrinkles around her eyes made me think she happens to be someone who has not gone under the knife and still looks fantastic. Love her. 

Really hope that they do not drop the storyline about Lucious' illness. I would think that he would be in special medical prison area because he is "really" ill. The prison, was quite posh, I must say. 

• Love 11

This show is insanity. Pure insanity but I love it! I really did miss it while it was away.

2m48zcw.gif

Boo Boo Kitty Booty Shake

217va9.gif

Hakeem Hoverboarding to a Meeting.

Had me HOWLING.

Loved it!! Loved everything!

Ahh, I've missed this show so much. Welcome back, Empire ♥

Best clips of the episode. I fell over when I saw Hakeem on the hoverboard.

• Love 3

Al Sharpton, Andre Leon Talley, Chris Rock AND Miss Lawrence from RHOA?!  I am so happy Empire is back. 

Line of the night for me,(inappropriate, I know)  " You can't even Dyke right" Cookie and BBK never cease to amuse me.  

• Love 3

Hakeem looked like an 11 year old boy when he hovered in while everyone else power-walked.

Who's severed head was in the box?

And did Jamal kick Carole and his cousins out of the house too? I didn't see them leave (leave the room, yes. Leave the house, no.)

• Love 1

As Chicago Redshirt mentioned, Lucious saw Mimi, but a) didn't know her name but b) told Jamal to find out about that "lesbian talkin' to your mama."  Either you know she's a lesbian/bi or you don't. (Unless the show was trying to swerve us and have us think Lucious just thinks any woman that close-talks with Cookie is a lesbian.)  I can understand why in-show we haven't heard of Mimi before this- if Lucious was so hell-bent to deny his own obviously talented son  from potentially running the family biz over sexuality, then he sure as hell wouldn't take cash from a white, Southern/ Southwestern-seeming lesbian. Now, though? With three "hellish" months in prison, I can see Lucious not giving a damn and the only color he sees is green- on so many levels.

As for Cookie in the gorilla suit? As a white viewer, I wasn't sure how to unpack that.  After reading some responses here, I feel less alone in that confusion, but glad there are others wondering the same lines of thought. 

Poor BooBoo Kitty; she had one job... . *g*   IA with whoever felt that once Anika gets to a space where she dresses a bit more edgy? She will be setting the scenery on fire! Then Cookie will have to look sharp again.  (Is Anika actually sleeping with Hakeem? I thought that Lucious "caught" them at one point, but am hazy  about the situation. Moving from "Yoko" to BooBoo makes a kind of sense, though, if he did.)

As much as I was hoping for Rhonda to be mostly through the pregnancy, we have "six" more "months", so a February Sweeps birth or do we see the newest Lyon arrive in May?  While Rhonda and Andre seem to still be pretty tight, I was hoping for a bit more about how that couple was. Last night was just Episode 1, so I'll wait. It just seemed weird that no one outside the Federal Prosecutor mentioned Vernon at all.

Lucious might do well to not sign Frank's daughter, Daisy(?); she now has beef and she also seemed to have a quick mind. She might be more formidable that Lucious suspects.

Jamal has left me speechless. His dgaf attitude with Becky ( even though he apparently wants her in studio when he's recording), his whining about all the work it takes to run a big corporation, his Lucious-ness with Michael. I know he's falling into how his father acts- it's ingrained, unadulterated due to Cookie's absence- and it looks especially ugly coming from Jamal. So I love it and hate it. Good work, Show.  ITA that Michael needs to run far, far away; this is not the Jamal you are looking for. Unless, as another poster suggested, he's now lookin' for cash and is possibly teamed up with someone. If he is, please let it be Olivia! That way we get so see more adorable Lola!  Lola brings out different sides in her extended family, so judicious use of her would be welcome by this viewer. 

• Love 3

It could be that Lucious's homophobia goes hand-in-hand with finely tuned gaydar. That way he can know just who and what to hate.

I don't know if we're supposed to think that Hakeem and BBK are a thing, or if he just had the one-of fling with BBK to get back at Lucious for getting rid of Camilla. 

• Love 2
And did Jamal kick Carole and his cousins out of the house too? I didn't see them leave (leave the room, yes. Leave the house, no.)

He didn't though he probably wouldn't have since she had nothing to do with the takeover that wasn't.

• Love 1

Yes! Empire is back & for the most part, it did not disappoint. it's even crazier than ever & I love it. The Free Lucius concert may have technically been about Lucius, but it was really Cookie's show, whether she was cage-dancing in a gorilla suit or throwing shade at Rev. Al Sharpton & Don Lemon, the latter of whom totally deserved it. As for Andre Leon Talley's read of Cookie's outfit while he was wearing his caftan du jour, my response: bitch, please! At least Cookie's gear actually looked high-fashion, unlike that deep-purple muu-muu ALT wore. If, according to him it was "designed by Tom Ford," then he should've autographed it because ALT looked like a grape on steroids.

Jamal's turn to the dark side has me worried. The more Jamal becomes like Lucius, the more his music suffers and the more that suffers, the more he'll suffer for it. ITA that Michael should avoid this Jamal because he's becoming like the gay Lucius, which is an oxymoron if ever there was one.  About Hakeem, his valid point about all the actual innocent people who are falsely imprisoned was ruined by his threatening to tell Cookie on Jamal and The Hoverboard.

I heart Chris Rock, but he was wrong as Frank Gathers. He should've been a BAMF, not, to quote Cabaret, "As [fatal] as an after-dinner mint."

My suspicions is that Lee Daniels put Cookie in the gorilla suit not just to mock racism, but as a little joke about the status of Taraji and her character: she is the big gorilla of TV now!

I respectfully disagree. As much as I heart Taraji & Cookie, after Sunday night, I think that Viola Davis is the "big gorilla of TV" now.

Edited by DollEyes
  • Love 3

I thought Jamal was right to throw everyone out of the house, including Cookie. You don't pull that kind of backstabbing corporate move and then pretend it was all about family.

So in that sense, while it pained him, Jamal had the right instincts. You don't tolerate that.

The problem with Jamal is he's probably enjoying the power of being the top dog and is self aware enough to know that the empire is beyond even him, it's something to protect. So the image of him too closely aligned with LGBTQ community clashes with the Empire as existing, so I do think that conflict is interesting.

Hakeem's lines are pricelesss, as when Jamal is throwing him out and he whines that it isn't even Jamal's house.

• Love 3

During the season finale I said I was watching more closely since Luscious has Myasthenia and as do I (though mines the congenital version.) I'm trying not to be too hung up on it not being addressed at all, but I'm finding it very difficult. The physical and mental stress of prison but Luscious being on his game like he has zero issues when really prison should be making him worse than he was last season is too glaring for me. They could have put in a throw away line about him somehow being able to try one of the treatments from prison as Andre's BiPolar got a quick mention about meds (that would have been the perfect time to bring up the MG, Jamal could have said something like "how's your treatment?" At the very least have Luscious' eyes droop and/or wander or something!

Another frustrating thing about the show is how they get some things so right, then drop the ball completely on other things. I mean Hakeem's character has developed from the floor peeing, "Obama's a sellout" punk, to still a punk but someone worth caring about as I actually think he seems to care the most about the family not getting along (and being at odds with Jamal) and being the unlikely voice of reason at times, especially at the Luscious concert and even telling Jamal it wasn't his house. I appreciate Jamal isn't the "sainted gay character" as I feel a lot of times gay people on TV are made to be, he's being a total dick, as people of all orientations can be. But then they go and leave out stuff like where everyone thinks Vernon is, how Annika got back into the fold, the Myasthenia, ect and disappoint.

"You both are socially unacceptable!"---Hah, can we get Becky to narrate an episode?

Edited by Gigi43
  • Love 2

There were some comments about how bad Marissa Tomei looked and all the plastic surgery she had. I beg to differ. I don't think that she looks like she has had any surgery. In my opinion, it was because her hair was very different (and color) and she had a LOT of eye makeup on and that can be quite severe and aging. The wrinkles around her eyes made me think she happens to be someone who has not gone under the knife and still looks fantastic. Love her.

I have to agree. I think she's just aged and most people haven't seen her in a while, let alone this dolled up, so it might be a little jarring. 

Really hope that they do not drop the storyline about Lucious' illness. I would think that he would be in special medical prison area because he is "really" ill. The prison, was quite posh, I must say.

They probably won't bring his illness up again unless they need it to advance the plot. I thought the doctor said that since they actually know what's wrong with Lucious now, it should be pretty easy to control. I don't know how realistic that is, but then ... it's Empire. So I just assumed he was being given medication and regular off-screen access to a doctor (especially with all his money).

OK, I decided to watch this show for the first time and I could not stop laughing. TP Henson is definitely the star and that line that went something to the effect of "you can't even dyke right.." best line of the night followed by calling Lucious a tampon. Pretty much everyone on this show is running a game, is a hustler and just foul, it's entertaining.

I thought the gorilla in a cage was referring to how "the man" sees black men, since once she stripped it off she went into talking about the systematic incarceration of black men etc. etc.. Because it was a benefit/rally concert to free Lucious right?

Other highlights:

The "bye Al.." scene and Don Lemon....hilarious.

Good to see Marisa Tomei, fellow Brooklynite, and fellow alumna of Edward R Murrow High School. I thought she looked good and I think this was a different role for her. I'm not sure I've seen her play anything like it before although she wasn't on screen all that much.

Edited by represent
  • Love 3

Got called into work last night, so I only got around to watching the premiere now.  It was fun avoiding parts of the internet, because I wanted to make sure I was accidentally spoiled.

Silly me, wondering if this show could keep things going.  As soon as I saw the first scene was going to be set at a "Free Lucious" concert, complete with Cookie in a gorilla suit (?!), random Al Sharpton and Don Lemon cameos, Marisa Tomei showing up, and then ending things with Lucious himself glaring at the concert from a television set (nice one too.  I wonder if all prisons got the good flat-screens!), I was already cracking up.  This show.  A part of my brain sees it's flaws and how silly it is, but I keep finding myself loving almost every minute of it.

Per usual, Empire takes what normally would be numerous episodes, and get it all done in one.  I know that can be bad in some ways, but I do love that it never makes it dull and makes me wonder what in the hell they are going to do next.  Because the hostile takeover is already done with, and it, of course, fails because Lucious sees Mimi/Tomei at the concert and figures out Cookie is trying something (and also that Mimi is a lesbian.  The man might hate gays, but his gaydar is top-notch.)  So, he makes her a better deal, and she joins him and the still loyal Jamal.  Ouch!  And that was even after Anita apparently slept with her.  Sorry, Boo Boo Kitty!

Of course, this drives an even bigger wedge between Jamal and the rest of them, so I can only imagine what this little debacle is going to bring to future episodes.  Jamal is clearly letting the power change him in a lot of ways, although that final scene was showing some cracks.  Also, Michael is back!  Be careful, Michael!  Being with the Lyons for too long isn't healthy.

Back at the prison, we get to meet the mysterious Frank they were all talking about last season, who is none other then... Chris Rock.  I knew he was appearing, but I did not see that coming.  I know that it was probably on purpose to cast against type, but it was weird trying to buy him as not only a scary psychopath, but a scary psychopath who was also a cannibal.  Main issue was I just kept seeing him as Chris Rock.  Really, i would have believed it more if he played himself, and somehow got himself locked up for whatever reason.  Still, nice attempt, show.

Hakeem on the hoverboard slayed me.  I can't believe I despised him in the pilot.  He's an arrogant jackass, but I kind of love him for it now.  This show just wouldn't be the same without him.  Never change, Hakeem.

Not much with Andre yet, so I hope that changes.  A brief moment, but I loved Rhonda all "You don't have to tell me twice!" and bailing as soon as Jamal kicked them out.

Loved the Lucious/Cookie scene.  Taraji P. Henson is always great, and as much as I really, really don't like Terrence Howard as a person, I really can't see anyone else as Lucious.  For better or worse, he just fits this role perfectly.

Only real negative is that I'm not feeling the prosecutor.  Not sure if it was the writing or acting, but she just isn't a threat at all, and there is no suspense in her going after Lucious.  He will not only win, but probably destroy her.

Welcome back, Empire!

• Love 6

Finally, TYRA MUHFUCKIN’ FERRELL!!  It has been years since she’s been on the screen, I screamed when she appeared and she was looking fierce!

Right? It's ridiculous she didn't get more work in her prime. Also I'm pretty sure Lee Daniels is just fucking with me because I get Tasha Smith confused with a young Tyra Ferrell, every time I see Tasha I'm like heh it's Tyra, except there is no way Tyra is that young! Hah. Just so happy to see her on this show. 

I loved the premiere Cookie and Lucious scenes are still fantastic, loved how much they fit into the hour and all the things they set up for the season. Ooooh Empire is BACK. 

Edited by blixie
  • Love 2

I'm still confused about Frank's purported cannibal scene. Wasn't he talking to Jermel while he was eating? Jermel seemed freaked out and frightened but not in physical agony like he would be if he'd had a chunk of flesh removed. Also, when Cookie opened the box, it looked like a white guy to me, so I had to re-wind to make sure it was Jermel - which I didn't want to do, believe me.

• Love 3

Okay, I have no problem suspending disbelief, and I may be missing something here, however...

Empire is set in NYC, where accused being held without bail are held at Riker's Island. Of course, my knowledge of the place comes from Law & Order, but Lucious's digs look like a freaking country club by comparison.

• Love 1

I have to watch this premier again for two reasons: 1) My daggone antenna was cutting in and out in the beginning so I might have missed the first ten minutes fussing around with it and 2) everything was happening so quickly that I was missing some things (once I got the antenna situation rectified).

I was about to have a damn drinking game after seeing all those cameos in the beginning...and I was NOT ready to see Al Sharpton and then Don Lemonade back-to-back like that. That was nightmare fuel. I have a feeling these cameos are gonna get worse as the season goes on, so I need to stock up on the wine.

This premiere was all over the place. This was like a spillover from that insane season 1 finale, this episode didn't pull itself together till the end and then it got to be interesting and focused. The music was also terrible as well.

Also what in the hell was up with Cookie in the gorilla suit in the cage? I cringed so hard at that and that weak attempt at tying in Lucious' prison stint with #BlackLivesMatter . Good lord. That shit was so mocking. But this show is on FOX so I should know better. That whole beginning scene was embarrassing. Lee Daniels really showed his ass with that.

Even in all that mess tonight, the interactions between Taraji and Terence are golden. They have great chemistry and they elevate the show, w/o them this show would be in tatters. Their scenes together were the best of the night. Marisa Tomei was another positive addition in this episode, I'm curious at what they are going to do with her character and Tyra Ferrell who will forever be Ricky's mom and Jessie from Poetic Justice to me.

For me, Tyra Ferrell is immediately Wesley Snipes' wife in White Men Can't Jump. I was dying at her get up in prison. She had her girls sitting UP and I was like, What kind of prosecutor? Lol.

Off topic, your username is everything!

Edited by Mozelle
  • Love 1

Okay, I have no problem suspending disbelief, and I may be missing something here, however...

Empire is set in NYC, where accused being held without bail are held at Riker's Island. Of course, my knowledge of the place comes from Law & Order, but Lucious's digs look like a freaking country club by comparison.

Lucious is being tried federally. Riker's Island, at a guess, is for people being tried in the state system.

For me, Tyra Ferrell is immediately Wesley Snipes' wife in White Men Can't Jump. I was dying at her get up in prison. She had her girls sitting UP and I was like, What kind of prosecutor? Lol.

She will always be Ricky and Doughboy's moma LOL I actually yelled Ricky's mom!

I totally agree about her outfit. It was SO distracting especially considering she is a prosecutor and was in prosecutor mode.

• Love 3

I liked the opening episode. So great stuff and it does seem like the OTTness is still there.

Even prison can't hold Lucious back. He outsmarted the hostile takeover and got rid of Frank the cannibal in one fell swoop as well.

I don't mind Jamal being tougher but I don't want him to be nasty. That being said, Cookie was undrhanded with the hostile takeover, so his anger did have some merit to it.

Michael came back as randomly as he was written out last time. Hope he's better utilised this season.

The rivalry with Jamal and Hakeem over albums will get tedious pretty fast too.

I liked Mimi out of the guest characters, 8/10

• Love 1

Off topic, your username is everything!

There aint no vista there aint no views and there sure as hell aint no vista of the views yesssssssss. It was kinda awesome to see her and Wesley this week on tv. 

and thank you i love me some Whitley 

Edited by Whitley Trillbert
  • Love 2

"Lucious is being tried federally. Riker's Island, at a guess, is for people being tried in the state system."

I know that Frank Gathers was being investigated by the Feds, but I thought Lucious is charged with Bunkie's murder, which under most circumstances, would be a state charge.

And for all the jokes about Club Fed, those are minimum security prisons for non-violent convicts. No way anyone charged with murder would await trial in one.

Edited by wonderwoman

WHO's head was in the box!?  There is always so much I don't understand with this show... 

I liked Chris Rock in that part.  If someone is a powerful drug dealer, they have to be smart, not as smart as Lucious though.

I really liked him too.  He had me much more convinced than Marisa.  I was pleasantly surprised.

I almost forgot, raise it up for Petey Pablo, yo!

No!  Did I miss his cameo?  One of my favourite songs of 2001....

Edited by Ms Blue Jay

I missed the cannibalism as well and now I'm too weirded out to rewatch it to make sure, I'll just take all your words for it.

Cookie and Anika are the queens of this show and damn Lucious looking so damn good in all his evil ways. Can't say the same for Jamal, his "evil" scenes aren't that good.

I'd like more Andre-Rhonda scenes. They're always sooo underutilized, you'd think a murder will make them get more screentime but nope!

More thoughts:

Mimi Whitman, the power lesbian played by Marisa Tomei, is fabulous. One of the funniest moments from the episode was Cookie's pimping out Boo-Boo Kitty to Mimi. What a difference a season makes. Anika is not only a doctor's daughter/debutante, she's also a bisexual, twerking trick. Some people will do anything/anyone for a quarter of a billion dollars. Mimi's going from Team Cookie to team Lucius, blindsiding Cookie, Andre & Hakeem in the process, was both epic and dangerous-epic because it proves that Mimi's a worthy opponent for Lucius and Cookie and dangerous because despite all their problems, deep down, Lucius & Cookie have never stopped loving each other-as twisted, toxic and extremely fucked-up as it is-and if one of Mimi's schemes ever put Lucius or Cookie in harm's way, it's her ass, not theirs.

As much as I hate Lucius as a character, Lucius & Cookie as a couple and Terence Howard as a person, when he & Taraji are onscreen together, they bring out the best in each other. When Lucius had Frank killed to protect Cookie, he proved that when it comes to Cookie, in his own way, he's ride-or-die. However, when it comes to Lucius' wealth & power, I'm surprised he was in prison period, let alone for three months. Lucius is guilty of murder, but between the circumstantial evidence and Vernon's disappearance, courtesy of Andre & Rhonda (unbeknownst to the world) it's a wonder he served any time. Given his influence, Lucius' time has been way easier and way shorter than Cookie's was. About the prosecutor, for such a smart & capable woman, my question is, what was up with that outfit? Did she graduate law school or just get off the pole?

As concerned about Jamal's personality change as I am, I didn't blame him for kicking Cookie, Andre & Hakeem out of the house. They betrayed & humiliated Jamal at the board meeting and he had every right to be pissed about it. If they hadn't crossed Jamal, it probably wouldn't have happened in the first place. Re Cookie's double-slapping Jamal, I didn't like that either, but at least she didn't use a broom. Miss Lawrence's rendition of "You Make Me Feel Mighty Real" didn't impress me because when it comes to men of color in makeup doing Sylvester songs, that version doesn't hold a candle to Job's on Banshee.

Edited by DollEyes

Well that was...something.

Cookie in the gorilla suit was distractingnand weird but maybe I just don't get whatever deep thing Daniels ja trying to say.

Anika's struggle twerk was hilarious. I'm from the A and...well she tried lol.

It was nice seeing Marisa Tomei. I thought she did well with what she was given. Hope to see her back.

Jamal is losing me. I just don't see him as a leader and he seems like he'd rather be writing and singing so hopefully Luscious gets out soon so I don't have to deal with mean Jamal anymore.

TPH and TH have amazing chemistry so I always enjoy their scenes.

Between Taraji, Tasha Smith, Grace Gealy, and Tyra freaking Ferrell, the black girl magic on this show is everything. Beauty and power all over the place.

I'm in for now but no more cameos, please.

Cookie in the gorilla suit was distracting and weird but maybe I just don't get whatever deep thing Daniels ja trying to say.

I think this has been said before but I think that was Cookie using shocking imagery to play to the crowd on racism being the reason Lucius is in jail.  As to why Daniels did that, the first episode of Black-ish this season probably explains it as much as anything could.

• Love 2

My show is back!!

Very good eppy tonight!

The Concert – Why was Becky looking like Carmen Miranda’s SSBBW sister?!  Loved Cookie cutting off Al Sharpton mid-sentence.  Don Lemon got caught by the fat man, my sister had to tell me it was him. 

Episode – Chris Rock was scary as hell, good performance.  Before he got killed, Lucious said something about signing his daughter at Empire but what did he say after?  I heard ‘bone’ somebody, anybody remember?

Finally, TYRA MUHFUCKIN’ FERRELL!!  It has been years since she’s been on the screen, I screamed when she appeared and she was looking fierce!

Looking forward to the rest of the season

LMAO! Too funny. I saw Don and was like, daaayym!

Lucious said "I'm gonna sign your daughter and slip her MY bone," per their conversation where Lucious offered to sign her and Frank Gathers basically said "Cookie ratted me out and you're trying to toss me a bone by signing my daughter." 

I screamed when I saw Tyra too, and said "No Lee didn't!! Leave it to him to put Tyra and Tasha on the same show, and trip people the fuck out who have thought they were the same person for years."  Those sites that say Tasha took Tyra's career are hilarious.

Love Jamal and Michael back together...because they are both so damn pretty. I don't see it ending well though. And I think gangster jr. is not in Jussie Smollett's wheelhouse-it wasn't that convincing to me.

Chris Rock was...surprising. It was more convincing that I would have expected. It was like an inverted Pookie.

And God help me, I know that he is a truly horrible person in real life, but I think Terrence Howard is such a good actor. His line deliveries, his choices...he's just deliciously entertaining to watch.

I'm waiting for Jurnee to appear. Do this thing up right!

Inverted Pookie!! I'm done.

Yuck! I'm so happy that flew over my head last night. Poor Deeray

I'm still confused about Frank's purported cannibal scene. Wasn't he talking to Jermel while he was eating? Jermel seemed freaked out and frightened but not in physical agony like he would be if he'd had a chunk of flesh removed. Also, when Cookie opened the box, it looked like a white guy to me, so I had to re-wind to make sure it was Jermel - which I didn't want to do, believe me.

That was definitely DeRay in the box, just pale because = bloodless. But he was talking to DeRay when he learned Cookie ordered the murder and dropped a dime, so whatever he was eating, it wasn't him.  While we're on the subject, I like the fast moving-ness of Empire (for the most part) but that was some bullshit, he chopped off the head, sent it, Cookie got it and the warning and she went to the jail, they assembled at Lucious', waited out the murder and went home - all in the same day, and it was still daylight! C'mon, son!

Almost forgot - Ms. Lawrence on Empire?? How dreadful. Please stay your ass on Bravo, right on FQ where I can skip right past you. I hope to never see you again on my show.

Edited by SnarkKitty
  • Love 1

Hakeem telling Jamal that he was going to tell mom was hilarious. He is still a little boy.

That was LAUGH OUT LOUD funny! I replayed it three times!

"MOM!!!!"

Love this show!

That was definitely DeRay in the box, just pale because = bloodless. But he was talking to DeRay when he learned Cookie ordered the murder and dropped a dime, so whatever he was eating, it wasn't him. 

Regarding the cannibalism, I read an article and this is what happened...  Daniels wanted Frank to be a cannibal and that is why he was eating in the box and why Cookie called Frank 'Hannibal' later on.  The makeup artists went as far as making 'flesh' and gluing it to the actor.  But somewhere between that and air, someone got nervous and cut it.

Edited by ParadoxLost
  • Love 1

I missed that it was cannibalism, too, but the scene right before that with those two was Frank telling Jermel he was hungry in an odd way, and then whatever he was eating was all little and red and weird, so when I read it was supposed to be part of Jermel here I kinda thought, "oh!"  I don't watch this too closely. 

I thought all the prison scenes were laughably funny.  That place wasn't like a country club, it was like a resort hotel.  The big TV, the fancy steel picnic tables, all the nice decor and ambient lighting, Lucious and the guys able to do whatever they want-- eat each other, beat each other, chop off heads and mail them out in gift boxes, make nice videos to appear in board meetings.  Lucious' orange jumpsuit looked tailor made of the softest chambray in the perfect soft spice color.  And the prosecutor's boobs... they wouldn't let you within the walls of any prison with 1/3 that much chest showing, lawyer or not.  So funny.

I used to call this show Black Nashville.  Now I think it's more like Black Dynasty.  I'm sure we'll see Cookie and Annika fighting in a fountain someday.  

Since when does Annika follow orders from Cookie?

I didn't understand the Michael scene.  Was that Jamal's house, with a waiter?  

Edited by Guest

I thought the same thing about the head when that box was opened, and wondered who on earth it was. By the end of the show, I realized that we never saw Deray again, so I guess that it was him?

Edited by TVForever
  • Love 1