Type keyword(s) to search

S02.E01: The Devils Are Here

photo fox
  • Start Topic

Honestly I have to say I was underwhelmed by this episode.

I don't think I'm as emotionally invested as I was. They just seem like a bunch of hyenas fighting over a dead carcass and it's like meh.

Honestly I didn't get why Cookie gathered everyone together to tell them that Lucious bailed her ass out of the consequences of the hit she organised on bad intel. Way to get everyone needlessly in the loop about another murder while you're still fighting over Empire...

Honestly after the first slap I would have pushed Cookie out the door and then fired her ass for assaulting the CEO of the company she works for. He may be her son but he's not 5, she can't just slap him when he annoys her. It's juvenile and pathetic. Hopefully the next episode is less frantic.

It would have been better if they extended the threat of Chris Rock's character for more than one episode (at a minimum 2) because it's a bit sad when a Big Bad is taken out of the equation in the first episode. Honestly what is the season conflict now ? Whether Jamal will keep the company ? Whether Lucious gets out of prison? Neither seem compelling to me.

Maybe it's just me though.

Edited by wayne67

Arriving late to the party and not sure I liked seeing a Black person associated with gorilla imagery. Did Lee Daniels manage not hear the news few months ago when that WA mayor referred to Michelle Obama as "gorilla face" on Facebook? AFAIC, that crap is always non-starter and never a funny joke. If Daniels was intending instead to make a "King Kong ain't got nothing on me" reference he perhaps should have made that more clear. (But apparently Daniels is chummy with the Obamas so no harm, no foul in their direction anyway.)

Otherwise I enjoyed pretty much the whole season premiere. Anika twerking was everything.

ETA: So I was reading a recap on another site and found out that the gorilla bit was inspired by a moment in a 1932 Marlene Dietrich movie called Blonde Venus. I dunno, now it seems to me like a reference aimed at film school students and probably went over the heads of most of the audience.

Edited by Joimiaroxeu

I was lukewarm on the premiere through the concert (too much like last season's sort of underwhelming season finale -- you're not Glee, show) and the party, until the board meeting when Mimi turned around in that chair, I was like "Empire. Is. Back!!!"

I also missed the cannabalism, though I did wonder why that guy looked so grossed out that Frank was eating and then looked nervous before when Frank said he was hungry. Thought Chris Rock was extremely well-cast. I read something on TVLine that said it worked because he was small and seemingly non-intimidating and I agree.

My absolute favorite parts of the show are when it's about family and power, so I thought the last half was brilliant. As others have said, I continue to adore the love/hate relationship between Lucious and Cookie. The scene where Lucious bought off all of Frank's posse was amazing. Intimidation can get you only so far, but money will get you further. I also love the idea that Jamal, the son, who hated his father the most still takes on some of his worst qualities when being given a taste of power. I also think it's fascinating, because I think of the three, Jamal would be the least corrupted by this absolute power, so it makes me wonder what Hakeem or Andre would do with it.

The preview scenes made me so excited for the year, and had me wishing the show would just keep going -- come on, give me all 18 episodes right now -- who needs sleep?

• Love 2

Like others, I appreciate the break-neck speed of this show. On other dramas:

Episode 1- Lucious enters the correctional facility.

Episode 2 - Audience is reminded of Frank/Cookie

Episode 3 - Frank transfers to correctional facility.

Episode 4 - Tense moment between Lucious and Frank

Episode 5 - Moment with Frank and his two kids

Episode 6 - Lucious mentions rap deal for daughter

Episode 7- Scene where Frank eats part of dude while torturing him

Episode 8 - Cookie's sister gets the dude's head

Episode 9 - Sister tried to warn cookie but Portia needs to Boo Boo.

//Long ass break//

It would take months.

• Love 5

Finally got around to watching this episode after I was rudely interrupted by real life while it aired! It did not disappoint! I've always compared it to the heyday of nighttime soaps such as Dynasty and Dallas, where the plots really are secondary to the characters and the opulence of the production, and that's exactly what the episode brought! After all is said and done, though, the glue that holds it together IS Taraji and Terence and their performances. Every interaction feels real, and they commit themselves fully. And you forget about the gorilla suit and the head in the box (is there a special designated size for those?), and some of the cameo appearances. And the best thing about waiting until now to watch? It's only a couple more days until the next episode!

Yeah, the head had the same swollen eye he had in his last scene.  It was (of course) a fake head and they made it all pale and powdery looking, I guess to look like it was bloodless and decomposing?  It wasn't the best fake head I've seen, by a long shot.

When Cookie was surveying the gift box on the coffee table, I really wanted her to say, "It's head-sized.  Do you think there's a head in there?"  Isn't that what everyone who saw that box thought?  Or did some people not see Seven and the other boxed head scenes in movies and tv?  

You know I totally missed the cannibalism part, I did wonder why his bib was blood splattered. And I also missed Cookie referring to him as a cannibal. I did like Chris Rock in the role though, pity they nuked him so fast.

I like mean Jamal, he's channelling his inner Lucious and it's delicious to see. Hakeem still needs to grow up his "I'm gonna tell mom" was hilarious. That kid is spoiled and now he's no longer daddy's favorite.

First time I ever heard of / seen Ms. Lawrence, I like.

• Love 2

You know I totally missed the cannibalism part, I did wonder why his bib was blood splattered. And I also missed Cookie referring to him as a cannibal. I did like Chris Rock in the role though, pity they nuked him so fast.

I like mean Jamal, he's channelling his inner Lucious and it's delicious to see. Hakeem still needs to grow up his "I'm gonna tell mom" was hilarious. That kid is spoiled and now he's no longer daddy's favorite.

First time I ever heard of / seen Ms. Lawrence, I like.

This is why I find it so maddening that this show does some of the things that it does.  Chris Rock was rather good and they could've used him in a multi-episode subplot, but this show's desire to move shit at a lightening pace prevented that from happening.  Also, the ending with Jamal and Cookie PROVES that these actors are all capable and should be given more to do from a dramatic standpoint.  I'm not opposed to comedic elements, but I think that should be more secondary.  Jamal and Cookie were very good in that final scene.  You could feel the drama and the pain coming from them both.  Also, I hope the show doesn't make it through half this season without addressing the Vernon issue more.  That's a doozy of a story which should be getting ample airtime RIGHT NOW!  Just what did Andre and Rhonda do with his body?

Edited by Syndicate

In Andre's nightmare, they were burying a body, weren't they?  

This must have been a "blink and you'll miss it" moment then.  In any event, there should be something of this subplot being showcased every week until the fallout happens.  We'll see if the writers play it that way.

Edited by Syndicate
  • Love 1

Honestly I have to say I was underwhelmed by this episode.

It would have been better if they extended the threat of Chris Rock's character for more than one episode (at a minimum 2) because it's a bit sad when a Big Bad is taken out of the equation in the first episode. Honestly what is the season conflict now ? Whether Jamal will keep the company ? Whether Lucious gets out of prison? Neither seem compelling to me.

Maybe it's just me though.

I finally got a chance to watch the entire episode UNINTERRUPTED today.     I did like the cameos of Sharpton, Lemon, Tomei, and the 50 cent diss.    But I too wasn't as drawn into the episode as I was last season.     I'm not a big fan of Chris Rock but I thought his character would've been dragged out at least for a couple episodes.   But I assume he may have a brother/lover/some other that may be upset by his "untimely demise" who will rise out of the ashes and attempt to take on the Lyon's later on in the season.     I'm hopeful the season will pick up.

Edited by Meedis

Frank Gathers: "How much for a rib?"

You win the internet for the day.  Everyone is talking about Chris's Frank being a different version of Pookie.  He really is a grown version of his "I'm Gonna Git You Sucka" character. LOL

• Love 1

I liked it. It had some great reveals for sure even though we kind of knew it was going to happen, but didn't make things any less tense imo.

I accidentally stumbled across this new podcast "You're Damn Right"(wasn't sure if they did some promotions or if they're something small time) and one of the shows the 2 host discuss is Empire(along with Sceam Queens and HTGAWM). They were funny and had good duscussions, I think. Empire's the first episode they talk about so you don't have to skip anything really. Just figured I'd post if anyone was interested. I like reading and hearing other people's thought about what I enjoy so yeah.

http://ashandjohnmultipod.podomatic.com/entry/2015-09-26T13_15_04-07_00

• Love 1

Late to the party but--

I was worried about the cameos but honestly I thought they worked them in well. Chris Rock wasn't like "HEY IT'S CHRIS ROCK, PEOPLE. LET'S CREATE AN EPISODE ABOUT CHRIS ROCK." That was the biggest issue with the Glee cameos -- it became less about the guest fitting into the show and more about the show twisting itself around the guest.

Anyway, many many people noted last season that Jamal, not Hakeem or Andre, is more Lucious' son. So their parallel plots in this episode were quite notable. Lucious maneuvering with his money behind Chris Rock's back and Jamal maneuvering with his power behind Cookie's back. Well done, show. 

Not the best that Empire has turned out but I think the season can improve. Hopefully.

I'm feeling bad Jamal. He's the only Lyon worth rooting for to me. The rest are jackasses.

It's all about Andre for me, he's my bae. I get stabby when someone even looks at him funny, second is Hakeem (only recently, he used to suck) and Jamal last. As someone noted  Jamal has Cookie, Hakeem has Lucious but Andre doesn't have anyone and so for that and all the other things he isn't noticed for, he's got this fan rooting for him. I was happy when Cookie barked "Where's Andre?" when she came in the house. Sometimes it seems like they forget they even have a 3rd son which is bizarre since he is the eldest and was the first. Fuck them for that.

Totally agree that the power walk of Andre, Cookie, Boo Boo Kitty and Hakeem rolling in was everything. This show is so fun!

• Love 3

In the original script for Empire's pilot, it's made very clear Vernon was Andre's champion & surrogate father figure.

That's why Vernon reacted so harshly to Andre's stinging accusations of selling out when he came to make amends at the end of last season.

• Love 1

I just binge-watched the first season in preparation for S2, and OMFG, this show is amazing!! I haven't felt this connected to characters since Lost. I guess I'm just a sucker for the heart-wrenching flashbacks as backstory to who the characters are today. My god, every time they show that scene with little Jamal teetering down the stairs in Cookie's heels and Lucious throwing him in the trash while Cookie screams to protect her child, I lose it with sobbing tears! And everyone is just broken/strong all at the same time. And I just can't get enough of Cookie and Lucious's love/hate relationship. I think these two are inventing a new kind of shipping dynamic. Anyway, back to this particular episode...

I, too, wasn't sure whether Frank was eating Jermel. The blood-spattered lobster bib with blood on his face made me think that maybe he cut out his liver or something. But the guy didn't appear to be in THAT much pain. But now it makes more sense if the network brass edited out any graphic parts.

I felt uncomfortable with the gorilla in the cage, but then realized that was supposed to be the point--racist @ssholes locking up innocent black men because they see them nothing more than caged animals. On the one hand, it was kind of cool that Lee Daniels had a platform to make commentary on Black Lives Matter, but on the other hand, I feel like it diminished the many ACTUAL victims to police brutality. Mainly because we know Lucious is guilty, but even if he were innocent, the police/justice system all acted appropriately in Lucious's case. But, I know we can't get off on that tangent, so let's just leave it as that scene left me with a lot of mixed emotions as related to real-life events.

But, oh, this show IS such a roller coaster of emotions--heartbroken one moment and cracking up the next. It really is amazing how it's such a poignant drama yet manages to work in as big of laughs as you'd get out of any sitcom, while also having non-stop soap-opera twists. This show is every genre at once!

Edited by JenE4
  • Love 2

I just binge-watched the first season in preparation for S2, and OMFG, this show is amazing!! I haven't felt this connected to characters since Lost. I guess I'm just a sucker for the heart-wrenching flashbacks as backstory to who the characters are today. My god, every time they show that scene with little Jamal teetering down the stairs in Cookie's heels and Lucious throwing him in the trash while Cookie screams to protect her child, I lose it with sobbing tears! And everyone is just broken/strong all at the same time. And I just can't get enough of Cookie and Lucious's love/hate relationship. I think these two are inventing a new kind of shipping dynamic. Anyway, back to this particular episode...

I, too, wasn't sure whether Frank was eating Jermel. The blood-spattered lobster bib with blood on his face made me think that maybe he cut out his liver or something. But the guy didn't appear to be in THAT much pain. But now it makes more sense if the network brass edited out any graphic parts.

I felt uncomfortable with the gorilla in the cage, but then realized that was supposed to be the point--racist @ssholes locking up innocent black men because they see them nothing more than caged animals. On the one hand, it was kind of cool that Lee Daniels had a platform to make commentary on Black Lives Matter, but on the other hand, I feel like it diminished the many ACTUAL victims to police brutality. Mainly because we know Lucious is guilty, but even if he were innocent, the police/justice system all acted appropriately in Lucious's case. But, I know we can't get off on that tangent, so let's just leave it as that scene left me with a lot of mixed emotions as related to real-life events.

But, oh, this show IS such a roller coaster of emotions--heartbroken one moment and cracking up the next. It really is amazing how it's such a poignant drama yet manages to work in as big of laughs as you'd get out of any sitcom, while also having non-stop soap-opera twists. This show is every genre at once!

I like that this show gives a platform for social commentary.  But you have to be a little more light handed, this show is supposed to be soapy and entertaining fun! The gorilla in the cage was a bridge too far.

• Love 1

Everyone is talking about Chris's frank being a different version of Pookie. he really is a grown version of his "I'm Gonna Git You Sucka" character.

That was New Jack City.

I think they're making the point that, rather than being an upgraded version of Pookie (aka drug dealer) in New Jack City, he's really an expanded version of his I'm Gonna Git You Sucka character, who has moved on from wanting "Jus one rib!" and going for the whole enchilada. So to speak.

• Love 1

Really late here, but did anyone else notice that at the end when Jamal kicked everyone out, his Aunt and cousins were still upstairs?

wow -- I totally forgot about that!  You're absolutely right...how funny.....

On the one hand, I knew Chris Rock wouldn't stick around. On the other hand, it seemed to be a very tidy solution for something that was a big deal in season 1. But I guess for a soap, I should be happy they even remembered it. Still, it made me laugh when he was screaming at the end because I still remember Chris Rock's joke at the Oscar's about doing voice over for Madagascar.

This was OK. Not great but OK. I'm not really invested in any storylines but I feel like a lot of this episode was spent with Frank so that's OK for now. I do wish the songs were better because I'm still waiting for another good one. I also hope they find some use for Marissa Tomei.

I loved Jamal kicking the rest of his family out. Taraji had me in the palm of her hand when she smiled at him and that reversal actually played well. I know a good show is in there. They just need to play their cards.

There was an annoying week where I kept running into people with hoverboards (who almost knocked me over) but I haven't seen any since then. Thank God.