Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E02: So Close, Yet So Far

• Start Topic

Here is your episode thread for your episode discussion enjoyment!

This thread will open at 10:00 pm. Prior to that, please head on over to the:

Pre-Air Speculation and Live Chat thread

....to discuss prior to episode airing.

DO NOT to post any Walking Dead spoilers in here. There is a thread to compare the shows HERE, so any mention or discussion of the Walking Dead goes there.

Enjoy the episode, have fun commenting and as always, please be respectful to your fellow commenting mates!

• Love 1

I still didn't really connect to the characters this episode.  No one is explaining what's going on, what they've seen, or moving with any urgency.  Madison's the worst offender of this, I can't believe she left her kids alone all day.

I don't know if I want to keep watching this show.

• Love 19

Much better episode. The panic on the streets feels real, but the lack of the federal government's presence, specifically the CDC does not. There should be constant reports on the the emergency broadcasting systems.

I understand that Madison and Travis are in shock and are not sure what is really going on, but not warning their respective family members is negligent and endangers their lives.

Edited by SimoneS
  • Love 16

Poor Alicia...maybe Madison and Nick think she'll think they're insane if they tell her before she sees it for herself? I don't know.

I would NOT want to be stuck in Downtown LA for the beginning of the fall of civilization. That is the stuff of nightmares.

This episode had more of what I wanted to see from this series - but the pacing is still off to me. The first episode we only had a glimpse of a few walkers before Cal, and now all of a sudden in less than 8 hours shit hits the fan? Eh. But still, I appreciate being shown more of the fall.

• Love 8

Alicia, don't call your brother a son of a bitch...

I find it kinda strange that anyone would go looting after rioting about what they thought was cops shooting an innocent man.  Oh the cops shoot innocent people, but they'll just leave rioters to spread mayhem.

Tobias, you saved yourself a lot of problems.  Enjoy your stock pile of cafeteria food.

• Love 3

This is bad. 

I think this show would have been much better if it had just focused on Travis and his real family trying to deal with the walking dead.  I think his family is much more engaging.  I see no need for Maddie and her druggy son and angsty daughter.  I guess they needed to give Kim Dickens some work but her stone face would probably have been better on some cop procedural show. 

• Love 18

I liked it.  Madison & Travis have Nick's withdrawal come right after the whole walking dead happens.  Travis naturally wants to get his other kid and the rest of the family can't move with Nick in his condition so Madison has to go out.  There're no immediate signs of zombies in their neighborhood.  It's all happening so quickly, though it can be frustrating to watch, it worked OK for me. 

I am wondering why they were worried about someone having a bite?  That wasn't shown anywhere I thought.  Or maybe they're just creeped out because they know the dead people try to bite you? 

• Love 6

I thought we'd see a bit more action on this epi. And please somebody tell Alicia what's going on! Travis, Nick and Madison have seen walkers up close and personal. Talk about it!

So Madison bashes in Artie's head and her and Travis, who got attacked, had a stupidly calm ride back to his house. Both of them should have been freaking out and in shock. Nope, cool as cucumbers these two.

i hope Travis makes it. He's one of the few people who has a plan.

• Love 6

I'm just angry that two educators left a sick kid to fend for himself. Poor Matt. They don't know for sure what happens after seeing only one zombie and It's a bit early in the game to be this cold. I'm supposed to like these people?

I mean yes WE know it's a good call but THEY don't.

• Love 8

Man, I felt bad for Tobias! Nearly killed by Principal Walker and then Maddie doesn't even bring the cart of food to the car after she fire-extinguished the principal.

There'd better not be something in the drinking game for every time Maddie calls someone "baby."

• Love 10

I still can't buy that none of these people has heard anything of what's really going on till they saw it themselves. Was Tobias the only person with an internet connection in LA? no other kid in the whole school started spreading rumours? Nick's sister and her friends, or Chris? no? how could this thing just land on top of them without warning? Tobias had a lot of information, wouldn't you expect the main characters to see or hear about other people too talking about stuff more dangerous than just the flu?

And suddenly, bam, electricity is out, and the screamings start in the neighbourhood... wouldn't they have heard about people being bitten by other people already?

Edited by minamurray78
  • Love 21

I hope they're setting up Nick as the penultimate survivor. I like that he's a young junkie fuck-up hot mess and he's going to see them through like his polar opposite, Rick. I see what you did there FTWD.

Madison has a severe case of the stupids. I get that she doesn't want to admit dead people are coming back to life and eating people because that makes it real, however...as she has witnessed her son driving over a drug dealer who almost ate them, and shooting said drug dealer, and watching him trying to get his eat on again after falling from a great height, DO NOT TRY AND HELP THE BLOODY RASPING TEACHER TRYING TO EAT YOU AND TOBIAS HE OBVIOUSLY HAS THE SAME SHIT.

I don't totally blame her for not connecting the dots about the walkers not coming back after destroying the brains, but...well, I kind of blame her, never mind.

Edited by The Mighty Peanut
  • Love 16

I like that Nick is as pissed as we are that no one seems to be talking about what's going down. He's the stand-in for the viewers, I think. Or at least for me. I would certainly be the one going nuts because no one is paying attention. Gah! I'm getting all worked up just typing this. And I actually live with someone who would just be annoyed as hell at me for insisting something's wrong. Because everything is fine. Fine! I think the writers have that portion of humanity nailed down.

• Love 15

I still can't buy that none of these people has heard anything of what's really going on till they saw it themselves. Was Tobias the only person with an internet connection in LA? no other kid in the whole school started spreading rumours? Nick's sister and her friends, or Chris? no? how could this thing just land on top of them without warning? Tobias had a lot of information, wouldn't you expect the main characters to see or hear about other people too talking about stuff more dangerous than just the flu?

Alicia saw a video of one the zombies but of course didn't believe it.

• Love 3

It is hard to believe that in this day and age with all the different sources of news over the Internet that the high school kids who are so plugged in had no clue and weren't panicking and warning their parents and teachers like Tobias tried to.

Also, again where is the federal government? This infection has already hit cities across the nation, yet there is nothing going on. The CDC goes maniac public awareness campaigns when the flu epidemics and other epidemics start, yet it is silent and has not warned the general public. Ridiculous.

Edited by SimoneS
  • Love 12

Only 4 more episodes, right? Can they get me to care about these people in 4 more episodes? Nick, maybe. That actor is doing a heck of a job. But the others and the writing? Dunno...

19 technically.

• Love 1

I liked it, but I feel like there have been so many missed opportunities for Walkers for the sake of keeping our main characters in the dark about the Walkers. Yes I am talking about Bouncy Castle Walker. Could you imagine Hardwick on the Talking Dead?!? You KNOW he would have incorporated it somehow.

I feel like we're missing from point A to point B. How did they know to look for a bite? Isn't Madison worried about school consequences if the Walker take-over hadn't been successful? How is a counselor and teacher abandoning children left and right?

I know it's the beginning but I expected the Walkers to be fast and quick. They're ambling right now and it frustrates me because I feel like the Walker takeover could have been prevented at this pace.

I still cannot believe they weren't crazy packing. I remember the Y2K scares and my Mom had stocked up on canned food and water. Hell, even I keep extra water in the basement just in case.

• Love 6

I see they're following the time honored tradition of TWD in that no one tells anyone else WHERE THE FUCK THEY ARE or WHAT'S GOING ON. Geez people!

Madison acts like she's on Quaaludes. Dumb bitch. Don't fumble in your purse, save Tobias! And why didn't they take that food? And tell that whining Alicia what's going on so she'll STFU.

Chris, aka The Revolutionary, can be walker chow any time now. Douchey ex-wife is douchey. I want to like Travis, but he's not the sharpest knife in the drawer. On the other hand, he's holed up with The Barbershop People who are a whole lot better than 'Lude Girlfriend, Puking Druggie and Angsty Alicia.

• Love 8

As to the Madison leaving the kids alone and them not knowing, Madison was going for "medicine" for Nick. Nick and Alicia both knew that. Smart move to go to the school to score confiscated drugs.

Madison is on the ship called Denial. I don't think she's processed everything that happened. Saying it makes it real. At least she kept Alicia in the house, unlike a certain someone whose initials are Lori.

Tobias definitely is the MVP of this episode, though. If he'd only known to go for the head shot, he would have had Principal Walker.

An honorable mention goes to Nick having a seizure at the right time to stop Alicia from leaving. Now he did tell Alicia the truth, she just wouldn't listen.

• Love 10
Madison is the worst. Is there any reason she refuses to tell her daughter what is going on? Alicia's ignorance is dangerous. By the way, that glass door Madison was blocking at the end isn't going to do shit. That house is not secure.

I think the point was that she didn't want Alicia getting out and making the zombie realize they're there. It was one of my favorite parts of the episode, I thought it was really human.

I don't mind Travis and Madison not really talking about what's going on. They could be in shock or just think it's too crazy to believe. I'm more irked by people not asking what's going on. If I was Alicia or the barber family I wouldn't stop asking until they told me.

• Love 5

Well that was much better. Better pacing, greater sense of momentum.

Nick's accent slipped a few times. 

Not only is Matt, (black male role #2) dead, but his offscreen parents seem to be dead off-screen as well. A car, presumably theirs was in in their driveway with abandoned luggage and an open trunk. Likely one of them entered and was attacked by undead Matt and the other one ran in when he or she heard screams.

The scenes in the barber shop with the sounds of rioting outside were tense and terrifying. I thought that was well-conceived and really well done.

I appreciated Tobias' preparedness and quick thinking.

There must be at least one other walker in that school since Artie, the principal (black male role #3) was fine when saw him walking through the halls earlier.

I can't say I have a problem with Travis and Madison not sharing what they know specifically, because they'd sound crazy to their families and others, but they still need to be saying more, especially to Alicia.

Edited by yuggapukka
  • Love 8

It's always the weird loner who's ahead of everybody else about what's going on.

I appreciated Madison being stoic until she got home and washed the blood off her pack. I didn't appreciate no one telling Alicia what was going on.

Yes! Maybe she'd stop trying to leave the house if you stopped walking away from her every time she asked what was going on.

• Love 7

As frustrating as it is for the characters not to tell Alicia what they've seen, I think it makes sense.

They don't know what is going on, and they don't know the walkers are (un)dead. Before the world goes to crap, the moral code is still "Thou shall not kill" and this early in the ZA, it makes sense that morality still reigns. And they probably think they killed someone (or now for Madison, two people). It doesn't surprise me that they wouldn't jump at the chance to say, "Hey, we killed someone today."

Yup, it frustrates me (almost as much as Madison and Tobias driving around with their windows rolled down), but I can totally understand their reluctance.

• Love 12

God, I'm not feeling this show. Really no better than an afternoon movie special. So Matt got bit a day or so ago so he doesn't at least call his girlfriend. Seems he didn't even tell her when she showed up. Dad was just nosy and discovered it. 

Did that gir'ls tattoo move towards her elbow a few inches? 

The cast is very hard to look at. 

Sorry beyotch daughter. That was the wrong time to pull the "you make promises too" speech. Please die.

Maddy and her boyfriend have been asked point blank what's going on yet they refuse to communicate. Zombie chow both of you. I guess dad tried to say something, but it was too lame for someone whose been sitting in a barbershop and has had time to collect his thoughts.

Maddy already had Calvin in her face. Why would she let an obviously dead Artie get that close.

Why did Tobias abandon all his stash at the school? Why does he call her Mrs. C? Is this Happy Days?

Mr I won't answer my phone in an emergency, I'm part of a movement? You can die also.

Only people I like are Tobias and Nick. I think I might like the ex-wife since she seems to have stopped being an annoying idiot once she saw what was happening.

Edited by Iguessnot
  • Love 12

I don't mind the way the characters are acting, because I'd probably act like that too if the ZA ever hits. I wouldn't believe it at first and try to rationalize it.

But what I do hate is the characters NOT TALKING TO EACH OTHER trope. I know that having the characters have actual conversations about the plot would mean the writers would actually have to be creative in thinking of storylines, but being that is their whole job, it's not my problem. I fail to see how making your characters look and act like idiots for plot is the best way to tell a story. When one character asks what's going on and they still don't tell them it draws even more attention to how stupid they are being. 

Being vague about it like Travis doesn't count. Just tell them, it doesn't matter if they are not believed at first. Everyone will see it first hand in a bit and believe them. 

• Love 8

I'm mad that Alicia's boyfriend was introduced and essentially killed off for no fucking reason. Why even bother having that character if he was only going to be in three scenes and have little importance. And no, I don't count giving Alicia something to mope about is a good reason to have a character. It's fucked up that that boy is going to die alone and terrified. And then will eat his unsuspecting parents. Thanks Madison and Travis.

Also, the actor who plays Matt is from The Wire and a talented actor. It is a loss for FTWD. I don't know why they killed him off when he could have been part of the regular cast.

• Love 13

Much better episode. The panic on the streets feels real, but the lack of the federal government's presence, specifically the CDC does not. There should be constant reports on the the emergency broadcasting systems.

This is the same Federal government that saved people in New Orleans post Hurricane Katrina.

• Love 20

Count in me as a person who loves Tobias. I want him to meet Carl and they can go off after Walkers together.

I like Travis and Nick, and feel like Alicia could be a force to be reckoned with once she knows what's going on. She's smart, but she doesn't have all the facts yet.

• Love 6

Yeah the telling the truth stuff doesn't bug me that much.  No one believed Nick until they saw it.  If Madison and Travis had told Alicia "get away from Matt, he's going to die and then get up again" she would have thought they were nuts.  They don't have time right then to explain and default to parent mode of "just do it" .  As it is she was holding her ground until Matt told her to leave.  Plus it's been a relatively short span of time, so no one's got the right way - whatever that is - of telling people.  

No one's bad ass yet so yeah, they're going to stumble around and hopefully stumble in the right direction.  For most people, it's not real until it really is - right in your face, trying to bite you LOL. 

• Love 10

Ok, so a definite improvement on the Pilot. 

Still can't get over how damned stupid these people are, especially Madison.  Actually, I'd have to say Madison is the only truly dumb one, and that's mostly willfully, however, shouldn't be much longer.  Tobias, Travis and Nick have the right of it.  But then again, I keep forgetting to put on the "newbie" glasses each time I tune in.  I know what's going on, but they don't (not totally).  Hard to forget that and see things as the FTWD peeps really are.

And better pull that 'she's better off not knowing' stupid stick out of your ass and tell Alicia what's going on, Madison.  She wouldn't have - maybe not have - tried to run out and help the neighborly walker-munchies if she knew. 

And still can't get over that "throwing a b-day party the same day the world officially ended".  I can't help it, that is very much unintentionally hilarious.  I know they're not prevalent yet and all, but that's like throwing out the Welcome Mat for the walkers.  All they can eat buffet.  Thanks for the chuckle, TPTB.  "Hey honey, you seen the news?  This outbreak and news reports? .... Maybe we should cancel??" "Naahh.  Although, we'd better move the start of the party back a bit, for freeway traffic and all that, ya know?"  And at the end of the party, "Don't forget, NewYearsEve-NewYear celebration is here this year!  Be There or Be Square!!  Oh, and don't worry, we'll have plenty to eat;  so bring your friends and your appetite!".

One little thing... Nick told his mom he kept Alicia from leaving, when she tried to.  So that 'grand mal' was faked?  If so, he's a damned good actor for a drying out druggy.  The vomiting all over himself?!  And still didn't change his clothes in that whole time!?!?  Gawd.  I need a long hot shower just thinking about it.

• Love 2

Has Madison ever seen a reasonably decent end of the world movie? You always stockpile food! Hell, even during a minor storm you stock up on bread and milk. (Why always bread and milk? For french toast?) if she has the car and there is food available, what's the harm in taking a few cans of stew?

I'm really having trouble connecting with any of these people. It's just too much stupid in one family.

• Love 8