Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E02: So Close, Yet So Far

• Start Topic

Do you think Tobias refused to go with Madison because he thinks she's a reckless idiot who will get him killed? Because I kind of think that.

Yes. Honestly, I kind of wanted him to pull a Shane and run away while the zombies were busy killing Madison. At least he pointed out Madison's "they" keep failing. I like Tobias, though I'd hope he has a larger weapons cache at an undisclosed location. He seems like the kind of teen to have a bunker.

Edited by The Mighty Peanut
  • Love 7

I'm mad that Alicia's boyfriend was introduced and essentially killed off for no fucking reason. Why even bother having that character if he was only going to be in three scenes and have little importance. And no, I don't count giving Alicia something to mope about is a good reason to have a character. It's fucked up that that boy is going to die alone and terrified. And then will eat his unsuspecting parents. Thanks Madison and Travis.

There towards the end of the episode, they showed a car parked in the driveway of the boyfriend's house with the trunk popped open, with luggage inside. No sign of whoever got out of that car. My guess is Mom & Dad provided a Vegas-style buffet of their own.

• Love 5

Not only is Matt, (black male role #2) dead, but his offscreen parents seem to be dead off-screen as well. A car, presumably theirs was in in their driveway with abandoned luggage and an open trunk. Likely one of them entered and was attacked by undead Matt and the other one ran in when he or she heard screams.

I thought that was Madison's neighbor's house, showing that he died and never finished packing his car.  So when Alicia saw him shambling over to the woman across the street I wasn't surprised.

• Love 19

I tend to cut the writers a lot of slack, and I can fan wank with the best of them, but I laughed every time Travis told Madison to go to the desert without him - he'd meet her there. You know - in the parking lot. Ha! Could we be just a little more specific about a meeting place in the freaking desert? Maybe: the third prairie dog village past that ant hill that looks like a volcano. Or something.

Yeah I kept thinking like... where? Where are they going?

• Love 10

Tobias definitely is the MVP of this episode, though. If he'd only known to go for the head shot, he would have had Principal Walker.

I thought he tried, but his itty-bitty knife wan't much use.  He might have been able to get it in at the temple or the base of the skull. Madison had to hit undead Artie in the head several times before he stopped. Skull bones still seem pretty dense at this early point in the apocalypse.

• Love 6

I don't blame Madison and Travis for leaving Matt.  He was too sick to get up; are they going to carry him?  They were worried he was going to start biting and they were worried about Alicia and Nick.  Travis is probably thinking he wanted to get out of there to get his other kid.  Once they heard Matt's parents were on their way home they were hoping for the best.  Not the warmest and fuzziest reactions but believable IMO. 

Now it being a useless fate for the character (except for being brave and all telling Alicia to leave); that's a different argument.  He could have not been affected/bit/whatever and thrown in with them while waiting for his parents or something.  Then we'd have teen relationship angst.  Most people would start hunkering down with their own.  Travis & co. were lucky they found someone compassionate.

• Love 7

Travis: I've been trying to call my son and ex-wife all day and no one is picking up.

Madison: Have you tried calling their house.

WTF?!?! And this is from an educator. No wonder our public schools are in such bad shape.

The most annoying thing this episode besides Maddy's dumb ass question was the events that unfolded at the school. 1. they didn't even seem to get the supplies after going through all that damn trouble; and 2. why the hell would Maddy be calling out to her boss when (a) she knows there is a strong possibility of a walker in the school since they overheard groaning on the PA system and (b) why the hell would you call out to your boss when you are in the midst of thieving school supplies using school equipment with a damn student. Just dumb ass fuck.

Poor Matt. But WOW he lived in a bomb ass mid century style house. Too bad he will be undead and flesh devouring and can't enjoy it.

In general I am just not connecting to these group of people.  I would have been a bit besides myself when it was announced that the show wouldn't be airing next week but all it elicited from me was a shrug. Kim Dickens is just so damn flat to me.  Maybe she is trying to portray stoicism and calmness in the face of great danger a la Clint Eastwood but I'm having a hard time with it. Plus, this story just isn't grabbing me. I just find it hard to believe that news and footage wouldn't be more widespread. 24 hour news cycle lives for this shit, not to mention the crackpots and tin hats. I mean when the first person was diagnosed in the USA with ebola, the media wouldn't STFU.  

Edited by islandgal140
  • Love 20

Not only is Matt, (black male role #2) dead, but his offscreen parents seem to be dead off-screen as well. A car, presumably theirs was in in their driveway with abandoned luggage and an open trunk. Likely one of them entered and was attacked by undead Matt and the other one ran in when he or she heard screams.

I think that car was the neighbor that Madison and Travis acknowledged when they got home. He was putting water in the car, and was coughing. And then at the end, he was the one eating the birthday party planner.

• Love 6

I tend to cut the writers a lot of slack, and I can fan wank with the best of them, but I laughed every time Travis told Madison to go to the desert without him - he'd meet her there. You know - in the parking lot. Ha! Could we be just a little more specific about a meeting place in the freaking desert? Maybe: the third prairie dog village past that ant hill that looks like a volcano. Or something.

Yeah, I was wondering the same thing. The desert's HUGE! And the perfect place to go in an old rattle trap junker pickup without A/C and no water. When Travis saw that cop filling his trunk with bottled water, that should have given him a clue.

• Love 10

This is the same Federal government that saved people in New Orleans post Hurricane Katrina.

Well, George W. Bush who tried to destroy FEMA is not president on FTWD. And we are talking about the CDC, not FEMA. 

Edited by SimoneS
  • Love 2

The desert's HUGE!

No chit!  I'd at least be like "can you be more specfic dear" I know they're looking for areas with less people but I would not be heading towards the desert without a camper full of goodies.  Even then I don't know, though I assume our characters are assuming everything will get under control and they can eventually go home. 

• Love 4

Ha! I was assuming/fan-wanking that they have a regular spot they go to, the same way people do when they say they're going to the lake or up north, so that a phrase like "the desert" would be meaningful to them both.  However her jumping in the car and trying to leave the city at this point is a disastrous, dangerous idea, especially after dark. 

Kim Dickens is just so damn flat to me.  Maybe she is trying to portray stoicism and calmness in the face of great danger a la Clint Eastwood but I'm having a hard time with it.

I'm guessing that's exactly the quality they were looking for when she was cast and that kind of quiet performance is what I usually appreciate about the actress, but so far it's not working in terms of making me engage with the character. Her train-wreck son is easier to sympathize with despite the fact he makes me mutter words like degenerate and pathetic at frequent intervals.

I disagree that it was the neighbour's car and house rather than Matt's. His home had distinctive hard landscaping outside. it was very unlike the homes we saw on the Clark's street. 

Edited by yuggapukka
  • Love 4

The "not talking to each other" stuff is understandable to me, because imagine if someone called you and said "the dead are rising and eating people!" You'd think they were nuts and hang up the phone. Add to that the fact that they themselves don't fully understand what is going on.

I think the show is doing a good job of gradually ramping up the tension and chaos, but I think by the next episode we need to start seeing some sort of federal response.

• Love 9

No chit!  I'd at least be like "can you be more specfic dear" I know they're looking for areas with less people but I would not be heading towards the desert without a camper full of goodies.  Even then I don't know, though I assume our characters are assuming everything will get under control and they can eventually go home. 

I think that's a key point. Even over at TWD we've talked about how improbable it seems that this couldn't have been contained, that is until you really start thinking about it. And we're all ZA veterans :) Very few, I think, could conceive of this event leading to the rapid end of civilization as they know it.

• Love 4

You guys, I had a crazy thought. Forgive me if this has been debated before. If zombies don't exist in the Walking Dead universe, then what about "Thriller"? What. About. Thriller? Those were definitely zombies in that video. So Thriller as we know it can't exist in this universe. That  bums me out.Was it just dancing werewolves or ghosts? Does Michael Jackson, King of Pop, even exist in this world? Or was he Michael Jackson, former member of Jackson 5?

Thriller schmiller. What about real music, like Frank Zappa's classic, "Zombie Woof?"

Edited by CletusMusashi
  • Love 4

I laughed every time Travis told Madison to go to the desert without him - he'd meet her there. You know - in the parking lot. Ha! Could we be just a little more specific about a meeting place in the freaking desert? Maybe: the third prairie dog village past that ant hill that looks like a volcano. Or something.

"We'll meet up next to the cactus the Roadrunner is always passing. Not that one, the other one."

I thought tonight's episode was an improvement over last week's. Now I can see how LA went to hell so quickly in the ZA. What were perceived as attacks against innocent, unarmed people were attempts by the LAPD to kill the walkers. The protesters helped dismantle society. The female police officer had a Carol look on her face when she had to shoot the female walker with the Boy George hair. She didn't want to do it, but she had to.

• Love 12

I'm kinda glad we know that the desert is where this is headed (initially, at least).

Frustrating as hell that they didn't actually specify where in the desert to go to and meet up at later, though.  "We're here, where are you?"  "The desert."  "Yeah, but where?!"  "You know, that huge place with lots of sand and very few landmarks; the desert!!  Duh!"

• Love 6

I think that car was the neighbor that Madison and Travis acknowledged when they got home. He was putting water in the car, and was coughing. And then at the end, he was the one eating the birthday party planner.

I just watched the episode for a second time, and it was definitely the boyfriend's house.

The desert?

What is it?

It's a big place with sand and cacti, but that's not important right now.

I want to give them the benefit of the doubt that they have a place in the desert that they go so they know where to meet up. If not, they will be wandering around the desert like crazy thirsty people.

• Love 3

This was a much better episode, more interesting and more exciting, even if most of the characters are still not exactly jumping off the screen. 

But seriously, that riot came up SO FAST! Like, good god people. Its going to take like 20 minutes before LA has gone straight up Mad Max. 

Edited by tennisgurl
  • Love 4

I thought he tried, but his itty-bitty knife wan't much use.  He might have been able to get it in at the temple or the base of the skull. Madison had to hit undead Artie in the head several times before he stopped. Skull bones still seem pretty dense at this early point in the apocalypse.

That knife was taken away a day or two ago and he has been home since then. Dude could have gotten another knife in the meantime.

Ha! I was assuming/fan-wanking that they have a regular spot they go to, the same way people do when they say they're going to the lake or up north, so that a phrase like "the desert" would be meaningful to them both.  However her jumping in the car and trying to leave the city at this point is a disastrous, dangerous idea, especially after dark.

At some point either one should have specified "our spot", "our resort" or "our hideaway". Otherwise the script is stupid.

The "not talking to each other" stuff is understandable to me, because imagine if someone called you and said "the dead are rising and eating people!" You'd think they were nuts and hang up the phone. Add to that the fact that they themselves don't fully understand what is going on.

I think the show is doing a good job of gradually ramping up the tension and chaos, but I think by the next episode we need to start seeing some sort of federal response.

Not when you're face to face with the requester and you're in the midst of the crisis and you also have a spot of time to discuss it.

• Love 3

I liked it more than last week. I hated Alicia shining a torch out the window, though. I hardly ever talk back to my TV, but I was cringing, and saying, "stop that!" way to attract the attention of the violent person across the road, walker or not. I understand the urge to help, but be more careful.

Edited by Anela
  • Love 6

But seriously, that riot came up SO FAST! Like, good god people. Its going to take like 20 minutes before LA has gone straight up Mad Max. 

Ha. To be fair, they were rioting because they believed that the cops were shooting unarmed people in the streets. They have no idea how much danger they are in or they would be heading home to barricade their doors or get the hell out of the city.

Edited by SimoneS
  • Love 7

Maddie does A LOT of dumb things, but hey, at the end, she learned pretty quickly not to go out and help her neighbor who was being attacked. Helping people always tends to bite you in the ass in the ZA. It's dangerous and lots of people aren't worth the trouble it takes to help 'em out. **Cough Father Gabriel Cough** It took Rick awhile to figure that one out. Still, it doesn't make her likeable cuz it's just the start of the ZA and a decent person would at least try. Didn't Nick tell her to warn the neighbor earlier? See? And he's a drug addict going through withdrawal!

• Love 10

That knife was taken away a day or two ago and he has been home since then. Dude could have gotten another knife in the meantime.

Even so, he got the knife Madison confiscated back from her and whether it was that or another knife, it was still small. Dude should have got another knife in the meantime, a better one, if not bigger, at least with a sharper, stronger blade.

• Love 3

Maddie does A LOT of dumb things, but hey, at the end, she learned pretty quickly not to go out and help her neighbor who was being attacked. Helping people always tends to bite you in the ass in the ZA. It's dangerous and lots of people aren't worth the trouble it takes to help 'em out. **Cough Father Gabriel Cough** It took Rick awhile to figure that one out. Still, it doesn't make her likeable cuz it's just the start of the ZA and a decent person would at least try. Didn't Nick tell her to warn the neighbor earlier? See? And he's a drug addict going through withdrawal!

To be fair, we don't know what she told the neighbor, but as Travis was driving away in his truck, we did see Madison crossing the road towards the neighbor's house, so a conversation of some kind was probably had.

• Love 6

Well it was a great episode.  It shows how very fast civilization can fall.  I really liked Tobias.

But I am really having a problem with the blatant racism of the entire TWD universe. 

The first 3 minor characters killed were black males.  WTF.

It was like the actor playing Matt said screw it - I am a black male - played Randy in "The Wire" - I know the score - leave the house - leave me behind so that I can go and find other work now.

• Love 10

I enjoyed the episode. There is so much tension now. I thought Principal Walker would bite Tobias. It's baffling that they wouldn't take the supplies with them.

Madison is weakest link on the show. She won't tell her daughter what happened. Maybe she is shock over everything that has happened, but she should at least start to pack some supplies etc.

I love the scene of the cop packing his car with water & the EMT's coming out with haz mat suits.

I think police knew what was going on & figured it would just alarm people if they were told that there were walkers everywhere.

Still is shocking that the media wouldn't try & show more video of the walkers.

I like the barber & his family.

• Love 5

But I am really having a problem with the blatant racism of the entire TWD universe. 

The first 3 minor characters killed were black males.  WTF.

It was like the actor playing Matt said screw it - I am a black male - played Randy in "The Wire" - I know the score - leave the house - leave me behind so that I can go and find other work now.

It is particularly noticeable because TWD comic is so diverse. 

Edited by SimoneS

I think my favorite moment was Nick immediately rooting through dying Matt's medicine cabinet in search of drugs and only finding bottle upon bottle of spray-on sunscreen.  His storyline is the best and most consistently written, but also relatively isolated from the zombie hijinks.  I think the character and actor are compelling, but I didn't sign on for fake seizures and all vomiting, all the time.

Alicia's hair is like a character of its own.  I need to know her secret.  

The stereotypes in the store are going to get very tiring, very fast.

OMG, how did I forget that.  They showed her - after Travis took off for the ex's - give a wave at and started to walk over to "party" neighbors.  WITWWoF happened there?! 

Neighbor - "Hey Madison.  Coming to the party later?  Got lots of cake and ice cream; yum!". 

Madison - "Oh, sorry, but I really can't.  Nick needs his 'weens', Travis took off for his real family, and the whole world is going to shit.  But you all just keep going on with your head in the sand and have a good time.  Oh yeah, one more thing;  cross the road, next door to us, guy looked sick and struggling.  So, uh, he might come shtambling over later for a bite to eat.  Just keep an eye out.  Gotta leave the kids alone at a very important and scary time & go do the drug-run, so um, buh-bye!  Maybe we'll stumble into each other later and grab some eats..."

• Love 4

I have a lot of thoughts which I'll probably post tomorrow. I do have one niggling complaint: why on earth would you NOT tell your kids what's going? Especially when you know your daughter might just skip out to help her boyfriend/neighbours etc.

• Love 3

Why does no one have a tv turned on while sitting around the house waiting?  Clearly something is going down and LA broadcasting is notorious for having some kind of news on at least one channel, plus the other channels tripping over themselves to interrupt regular broadcasting for anything possibly "Big News."

Agreed on the generic "desert" in regards to the LA area.  North, east or southeast?  High or low desert?  I understand the idea that a sparser populated area (desert) vs. a concrete jungle of the city would seem to be a safer place, but unless they have an actual house/family/friends to go to, they better bring an RV and supplies.  Any direction chosen will be a nightmare to travel by the next day, in any case.  I-10 to Palm Springs?  I-5 to Bakersfield? LOL Those routes suck any given Friday afternoon, forget a mass exodus out of greater LA.

I realized that the barber and family must be used to closing up shop, pulling down the security shutters and just waiting out the chaos on the street, given the neighborhood.  Would not be surprised to find that they've gone through at least one LA riot/protest in an inner city neighborhood.

I think the main adult characters are still processing the events they've been involved in over the last 24-36 hours and I can imagine the mom is in some form of shock after being involved in killing two people she knew who've turned.  I think she knows it's bad but she does not have any idea how to proceed forward and keep her immediate family safe yet.  The dad downtown with his ex and kid is also in a better position to grasp what is possibly going on, plus he saw the police putting the water into the trunk of the cruiser so he might suspect that TPTB have some idea of the magnitude of the crisis.   I think it's so early that most regular people probably would think there is some end to it all and that order will be restored at some point.  Right now I can believe that most average citizens see this, especially in LA, as a post-earthquake situation rather than a complete change in the game of life.  But again, where are the tv's with the news, any news?

• Love 3

When Travis left to find his son, Madison was shown walking towards the Neighbor's house.

So I believe she did say something to them.

• Love 1

When even I--who will accept just about any nonsense the writers throw out-- when even I'm telling the characters to stop being so stupid... you've got a problem.

None of it is even based on our foreknowledge of where this is going.  Don't use the pry bar on HALF the locker and then struggle with it!  KEEP PRYING.

When Tobias, who you know has some knowledge of these events beyond what you might know, shows up... ASK HIM SOME QUESTIONS.

(Also, I think the knife was just an opportunity.  He was there for the food, but hey, there's the guidance counselor, might as well get my knife, too.)

You see Matt has been bitten.  ASK HIM ABOUT IT.  (Also:  why just a single bite?  Why didn't the Walker stay around and make a meal of him?) WHAT HAPPENED?

But as far as the show itself, this causes me far too much stress, imagining having to deal with this.

• Love 12

I think my favorite moment was Nick immediately rooting through dying Matt's medicine cabinet in search of drugs and only finding bottle upon bottle of spray-on sunscreen.  His storyline is the best and most consistently written, but also relatively isolated from the zombie hijinks.  I think the character and actor are compelling, but I didn't sign on for fake seizures and all vomiting, all the time.

Alicia's hair is like a character of its own.  I need to know her secret.  

The stereotypes in the store are going to get very tiring, very fast.

I like Nick but he should have told Alicia what was going on. She is clueless.

This is a horrible time for him to be going through withdrawal.

• Love 2

The entire time they were talking to dying Matt, I wanted someone - anyone - to ask him how he got bit. 'Cuz that shit just doesn't happen everyday and if someone I knew had a huge bite mark on their chest, I'd be wondering WTH happened. 

Was Nick going through Matt's bathroom looking for pills to help him detox knowing he probably wasn't going to get any from a doctor? Or was he just looking for a quick high?? I was confused by that quick scene.

Alicia was less irritating this episode. Except for trying to leave the house to go back to Matt's house, she was a good sister to Nick. I wonder how many times she's had to help her mom with Nick. For a 17 year old, she handled Nick's seizure like a pro. At that age I'd have been freaking out. But Madison really needs to tell her about walker Cal so that she'll stop trying to leave the house to help the neighbors.

So the family is planning to head out to the desert to wait things out. Okay, not a bad plan but I was wondering if I missed where they said they would be staying once they got there. Do they have a cabin or something? Pitching a tent in the middle of the desert with water and canned goods doesn't sound like much of a plan. And aren't there unsavory sorts out in the desert?

Chris needs to drop the surly teenage attitude or he needs to die because I've had it with him. Oh the horror! his father shows concern to for his sorry ass. Man, I really dislike teenagers.

The cops obviously know to shoot the walkers in the head. But I couldn't tell if the homeless guy lying in the street had been shot in the head. I kept waiting for him to get up and scare the crap out of the protesters but he never did. So I guess he was most sincerely dead?

And I'm calling it now: Mama Barber Shop isn't gonna last long. Praying to the Virgin Mary isn't going to save you, lady.

• Love 5

I can understand Madison not wanting to say "well I killed the principal" to Alicia, but say something, for crying out loud.

Alicia: Mom what's going on?

Madison: ...

Alicia: Mom?

Madison: ....

Alicia: Mom?

Madison: ..............

Just say, "Some bad things are going down and I'll explain when I can. For now, just stay safe." Quit staring off in dramatic silence like you're waiting for the commercial break!

• Love 11

God this show!

Texting. Has anyone freaking texted anyone yet?

Twitter. This is tailor made for #HASHTAGS #VIRUSNEWS #DEADNOTDEAD #LAMYSTERY

Cameras. Dude, I refuse to believe you had that big one in your backpack.

TV news. None.

Desert. Who plans to go to the desert carrying nothing?

Food. Ran from your zombie boss to save the food, then left the freaking food behind.

Nick, I'm rooting for you.

• Love 13

The stupidity is strong with this group.

Did Madison ever go outside and inform the neighbors what was going on, like she promised her daughter she would? If not, then it's partially on her that the people at the end of the episode were getting attacked. Just like Tobias's death would have been on her for sticking around a little too long for Artie to attack. 

If Travis's son won't answer the phone did it occur to Travis to send him a text?  "The dead are coming back to life. Get inside. Call me."  I think he might get a call back. And the whole phone conversation with his ex, where he's still talking to her like there's a bad flu going around and they really need to find Chris, while she spouts off their custody agreement instead of listening...I just...hate these people. 

It's not a good sign when I'm hoping for some main character deaths 2 epis in.

• Love 8