Type keyword(s) to search

S14.E04: Fashion Flip

• Start Topic

Exactly.  I have two kids born in the nineties.  They know how to read an analog clock.  Their not so old schools and now colleges have analog clocks.  As far as I know, you still can't have your cellphone sitting on your desk when you take a test.

Yeah, my cell phone battery died.  Sorry I'm late or sorry I didn't finish.  I didn't know how to read the clock on the wall....  Give me a break.

True but I know in my experience exam supervisors announce/write out the time remaining and you can put your hand up and ask for it. At first I thought he was just trying to be cute again, but now I think it's conceivable some kids like Blake legitimately have never had to figure it out themselves.

Edited by anonymiss
  • Love 1
So I don't understand the disdain for MaryKay products.

There may be a bit of disdain for the multi-level marketing practices.  The beauty counselors are encouraged to bring more team members "under" them than sell product.  

• Love 6

True but I know in my experience exam supervisors announce/write out the time remaining and you can put your hand up and ask for it. At first I thought he was just trying to be cute again, but now I think it's conceivable some kids like Blake legitimately have never had to figure it out themselves.

And that is a reflection on the person who 'needs' that and is a good indicator of  how successful they will be in business and life (unless daddy or mommy own the business or they have a trust fund).  It's very sad IMO.

BTW, I watched the show with my daughter who was like WTF with his clock problem.

Edited by breezy424
  • Love 3

L'Oreal makeup seems to be richer, brighter and holds up better under the bright lights of the runway. Mary Kay seems lighter and more pastel, if that makes any sense.

I miss the old L'Oreal consultant. He was really good. I enjoyed watching him work. This MK guy, not so much & his voice makes me twitch.

I've known only one person who sold MK and that was in the 90's. Actually, she was a friend of an acquaintance who I met when I was doing seminars. She invited me to her MK party and all of the women there were in their 40's, somewhat wealthy (none of them worked) and being in my 20's I couldn't really relate to any of them.

That said, I did buy some of the makeup (which was way more expensive than Avon) & got lots of compliments on it when I wore it. The product I liked the best was their under eye shadow eraser. I haven't found one as good since. Their makeup also smelled good. And came nicely packaged.

MK already has a nice little niche. If they're trying to change their brand rep they're really doing a poor/half-ass job of it. Their commercials are so grating.

I don't read/purchase Marie Claire so when this editorial comes out it would be awesome if someone could post the pic.

When the basketball jersey was briefly shown close up on the runway I noticed that the number was very poorly sewn on. It baffles me how that was safe. I'm not even going to mention Blake's win as so many have said it better before me.

I didn't like Swampnil's look at all.

• Love 2

It's outrageous that people like this exist but then I felt some empathy when I remembered that I take it for granted that they've grown up with analog clocks. No, these kids have grown up with cell phones and computers where's it always digital. Even though I'm about a decade older than them, I stopped wearing a watch in my teens because of my phone, so I can just imagine that these kids born in the 90s have never had to tell time using an analog clock.

This might be true but don't they still have analog wall clocks in the classrooms? The last time I took a college course back in 2005 there were still analog wall clocks. Ten years ago, but still. I'm genuinely curious; are all classroom wall clocks now digital? I used to stare at those analog suckers waiting for the day to be over.

• Love 2

Two great guest-judges in a row? Thats a PR/Lifetime first, isn't it? Kiernan Shipka was really pleasant and observant. Considering we are usually treated to the likes of Kaley Cuoco who is twice Kiernan's age and all she had to say was 'I would totally wear that'.

I hope Kelly makes it to Fashion week - either as a finalist or with a decoy collection. I really want to see her translate her Sporty Spice aesthetic into a collection. Her design and styling this week were great.

It was great that they had 45' at mood - its usually a lot less, isn't it? It makes some of the fabric choices all the more disappointing though.

Gabrielle had cannon-fodder written all over her from the very first episode. It probably wouldn't have needed overlocker-gate and I'm not surprised, although I'd rather see her than loud and attention seeking '2n'd time lucky' Amanda.

There is nothing I can say about Blake that has not been said already. Swapnil's dress was ok, but it looked soo tight in the back on the bum. I wasn't keen on Candice - I liked Kelly and Ashley.

• Love 1

Coming out of lurkery to say I'm quite enjoying S14 so far.  The designers are in general a stronger crop than we've seen the last few seasons.  I've really liked the runway shows, even allowing for the usual 2-3 stinker looks.  And speaking of looks, Heidi is rocking some great outfits this season!   Fun and attractive and flattering.  What happened?  Is someone new styling her?

And to spread some more contrarian sunshine:  I liked Blake's look and understand why it won.  I loved the color combination (though admittedly I'm a sucker for nearly any evening look that's navy) and the bizarro shape.  It was not meant to be "wearable couture".  For a spread in Marie Claire, Nina's first priority was going to be something colorful and different- or even weird-looking.  That trumped the poor construction of Blake's look for this particular challenge.  In fact someone else articulated this well:

That being said, I didn't have much problem with Blake winning. They thought it was innovative, and so... fine. . . .

So Blake maybe accidentally chose a very editorial color combination? In contrast,  I'm not sure how well Candace's or especially Swapnil's black outfits would have photographed since I'm thinking that the details on black outfits often don't photograph as well? And also if I'm remembering correctly, when the challenge includes a photo shoot, the judges rarely if ever choose a mostly black outfit for the win, but I'm also fine with saying that I could be remembering that incorrectly, too.

That said, Blake is a cosseted, preening little faker and I hope he is not one of the final four.  

And Kelly:  I like her, but why does she have to look like such crap all the time?  Everything from her hair down to her shoes is painfully fugly.  There are ways to wear the 80s that don't involve looking unwashed and like you've just dumpster-dived for your clothing.  I can barely focus on what she's saying in the TH because my eyes are burning from the stank.

Zac is adorable.  I love his enthusiasm when he's crawling around checking out the designer's clothes up close.  I love his Posen faces.  I also liked Shipka.  Though a 15 year old judge is not appropriate for this program in my view, she was classy and mature.

• Love 4

It's possible that they were given a few extra minutes at Mood as it was their first official visit and they needed to get oriented. Just a thought.

So I took a poll of the other 20-somethings on the floor, and though a couple admitted it would take a minute, they could read a clock.

Bottom line, Blake strikes me as the type who hasn't had to actually take care of himself or learn anything because he's been told how special he is his whole sheltered life. So he, too, thinks it's funny that he's ignorant. Oye, I fear for the world if people like him and Princess (what I call the girl at work) are our future.

In my mind this isn't really a generational problem; clocks are everywhere--classrooms, your supermarket, any train or bus station. To me this simply screamed yet again about the general dumbing down encapsulated in sound bites instead of in depth analysis, news being under the corporate umbrella of entertainment, spelcheck has replaced actually learning how to spell and the fact that the Kardashians exist in my consciousness.

• Love 7

I am not as appalled at his apparent inability to read an analog clock as much as I am at his seeming pride over his ignorance. Same as when he pretended to not know that sports were played in Madison square garden in the first episode. His simpering preciousness is painful for me to watch. Other than the fact that he's young and gay, he is nothing like Chrtistian Siriano.

• Love 11

Correct me if I'm wrong.  Whenever they show the clock in the workroom, isn't it an analog clock?  Maybe people should quit telling Blake what time it is and let him figure out for himself how long he has left.

I just keep imagining it as a Mickey Mouse clock, and someone is saying to Blake, "When Mickey's big hand is on the 12 and his little hand is on the 9, it's time for us to go."

• Love 5

One of my jobs is substitute teaching and, in my school district, they teach telling time with an analog clock.  There have been 3 different math programs in the 10 years I have been subbing, and they all had lessons on analog clocks.  I have taught lessons in Kindergarten that dealt with the "o'clocks" and the difference between the big hand and the little hand, and lessons in first grade with telling time to the nearest 5 minutes.  I am not sure if telling time to the minute is a first grade or a second grade thing. The classrooms have analog clocks and digital clocks.  

In my mind this isn't really a generational problem; clocks are everywhere--classrooms, your supermarket, any train or bus station. To me this simply screamed yet again about the general dumbing down encapsulated in sound bites instead of in depth analysis, news being under the corporate umbrella of entertainment, spelcheck has replaced actually learning how to spell and the fact that the Kardashians exist in my consciousness.

I remember my daughter's kindergarten teacher saying that she thought it was ridiculous that kids still had to learn the multiplication tables in 3rd grade, because everyone has calculators now.  I asked her if she brings a calculator to the store with her when she figures out how many bags of something (popsicle sticks, pipe cleaners, etc) to buy for a project for 30 kids to do.  She thought for a moment and said I had a point.  This was years ago, before everyone carried a phone with a calculator on it.  

But learning stuff like multiplication tables and telling time on an analog clock is important, even if you will have ways around using it when you are older - it all helps train your brain to think in different ways.   Perhaps not being able to tell time implies that Blake is not a well-rounded thinker, and that is why he didn't understand the problem with sewing stretchy and non-stretchy fabrics together (I just  threw in that last part about Blake because I am trying to stay on topic and get my post to relate to the episode)

I don't have any sympathy for the designers because they have short time periods. All reality competition shows have short and unrealistic guidelines, from Masterchef to Face Off to Skin Wars. If you cannot create in a short period of time, don't apply to be on the show. I also do not agree that the show is going to be bad for their careers. There are a zillion budding designers out there, getting to show your stuff on TV is more publicity than most of these designers would ever get otherwise. 

I don't have any sympathy for the designers either, at least not with regards to the amount of time (if their work station is next to someone annoying, then I have sympathy).  Everyone has the same amount of time.  If you are going to be on Amazing Race, learn to drive stick, if you are going to be on Survivor, learn to start a fire without matches, and, if your are going to be on Project Runway, learn to make a garment in a day - or at least practice enough that you know what you are capable of sewing in a day.  

However, I would like to see longer challenges just because I would like to see what they would come up with if they had more time or if they had time to scrap a bad idea and re-start.  With the shorter challenges, they tend to stay in their comfort zones and usually have to stick with what they started because they don't have time to re-think it.  I think this keeps some of them from attempting something more creative.  

However (another "however"?), I wouldn't want to have longer challenges every time, because the shorter ones tend to point who has a wider range of talent.  

I wish they would have more even mix of 1-day and 2-day challenges, with a 3 day challenge thrown in once a season.  It just seems like there is only one or two 2-day challenges a season now.  

• Love 13

That said, the thing with the collar and the blood. Some people here think that he said he'd gotten blood on the dress and covered it up with a necklace, when in reality he was trying to cover up a neck which had not been sewn. So, he was a liar. But you guys must have missed his explanation on the runway, he said he'd gotten blood on the dress and had to cut it out of the neck (thus resulting in a neck without a seam) and that's why he put the necklace over it.

As much as it pains me to say it, he wasn't lying. He's annoying, but not a liar

Oh, I think he is. A drop of blood (or even a lot of it, which there wasn't) wouldn't even have shown on the black fabric. And if it had, he would have just snipped off the area with the stain. The entire neckline of the dress was unfinished. The blood was just a convenient scapegoat. Edited by Gbb
  • Love 8

But learning stuff like multiplication tables and telling time on an analog clock is important, even if you will have ways around using it when you are older - it all helps train your brain to think in different ways.   Perhaps not being able to tell time implies that Blake is not a well-rounded thinker, and that is why he didn't understand the problem with sewing stretchy and non-stretchy fabrics together (I just  threw in that last part about Blake because I am trying to stay on topic and get my post to relate to the episode)

It's hard for me to believe that Blake knows enough geometry to be able to make patterns without knowing enough to be able to puzzle out an analog clock.

Edited by Julia
  • Love 4

It would seem to me, that a designer auditioning for PR would have a stable of designs in their mind ready to pull out as needed. Would you not think that each designer has a pant, a skirt, a cocktail dress, an evening gown, a businesswear, etc already plotted out long before they got there? A truly inspired designer may have also figured out a color scheme and a way to integrate all of their challenge looks into a cohesive "collection" and brand themselves.  Would you not think that they have already practiced sewing those same designs in 6-8 hours at home? Even if just in muslin? And also know what fabrics they would make them in and how much they cost at Mood? Seriously, you know Edmund and Ashley have. As well, have they not all walked through various stores where they live and tried to figure out what was stocked at each one so they could pull it out on an unconventional challenge?

I know a chef who was one of the 40 flown to LA for Hell's Kitchen but not chosen. He knew ahead of time that he was in the final selection process. Would these folks not know as well? Would you not either be wandering the aisles of Mood to know what they had and where it is or stalking their webpage to find out? C'mon now. There is endless possibility for preparation. Some of these folks are just not prepared.

All three of the first three challenges had the materials supplied and all three were filled with color and print. It shouldn't be rocket science to figure out that that's what is wanted this season- color and print. So why do they all revert to black?

And lastly, Blake has to have an older lover who has that "daddy" thing going on- not quite a M/s thing necessarily, but an "I'll take care of you, you precious little boy. Don't worry your pretty little head over it" kind of thing. If that is the case and he and his lover are surrounded by similar types, he may not have had that much grown up, stand on your own two feet interaction. I'm not in any way excusing it, but if he socialized in "daddy" circles, the comment about speaking Indian might have gotten him a pat on the head and a laugh instead of contempt. I think they're keeping him around for the inevitable meltdown/smackdown that's coming from people who won't praise that crap.

• Love 9

This might be true but don't they still have analog wall clocks in the classrooms? The last time I took a college course back in 2005 there were still analog wall clocks. Ten years ago, but still. I'm genuinely curious; are all classroom wall clocks now digital? I used to stare at those analog suckers waiting for the day to be over.

LOL! The last time I took a college course there were not only analog clocks on the walls, but ashtrays on the desks, and I would smoke to make the class go faster! I am quite certain that Blake knows what time it is. In the little segment where he was shown to make some sort of squealing noises he commented on how a clip would wind up on the show chronicling the sounds. He is no doubt aiming for some sort of showcase of his dumber comments being collected for an episode.

Oh, I think he is. A drop of blood (or even a lot of it, which there wasn't) wouldn't even have shown on the black fabric. And if it had, he would have just snipped off the area with the stain. The entire neckline of the dress was unfinished. The blood was just a convenient scapegoat.

I can totally see where he was coming from, though. I once splashed a bit of bleach on my navy blue bathroom carpet, and the tiny stain was all I could see! I tried everything to get it out, and finally opted to bleach the entire thing! It now has the coolest "distressed" look!

• Love 2

Though a 15 year old judge is not appropriate for this program in my view, she was classy and mature.

Kiernan Shipka represented herself much better than many previous celebrity judges, but I agree that she was an inappropriate addition to the panel. Someone that young is likely to just defer to the regular judges, and this is one instance when they really needed to be challenged.

I don't like that Lifetime thinks viewers would rather listen to random actresses opine than people with extensive fashion knowledge. It's unfair to the designers and makes for less interesting deliberations.

With the way this season is going, I wouldn't be surprised to see Ashley, Candice, and Swapnil taken out in a triple elimination after Tim Gunn uses his save on Amanda or Blake. 

• Love 3

Ah, the power of branding (I do it for a living).  Mary Kay is probably no different from other cosmetic lines in quality, and it may even be better.  Clinique does a lot of pastels as well, but it has a totally different brand image (clean, scientific, advanced, French).  I wear Clinique, but I wouldn't be caught dead in Mary Kay. It's not because of the products--they may be great--but because I associate Mary Kay with pink, pastel, matronly, midwestern, conservative suburban housewives. (Not that there's anything wrong with that. It's just not me.) If you go to the Mary Kay website, it's all black and white trendy, but the wholesome, all-American,1950s name (which is just outdated--not cool retro) is such a disconnect with that.   I really don't get who the Mary Kay woman IS. Who buys Mary Kay these days?  I agree with the comment that Joseph's lavender ladies-who-lunch dress was the only one that really said "Mary Kay", or at least, Mary Kay as I think of it. When Candace said she thought the tight, sexy, black leather dress represented Mary Kay--I said, "Huh? Um, no." 

Edited by venezia54
  • Love 6

One of my jobs is substitute teaching and, in my school district, they teach telling time with an analog clock.  There have been 3 different math programs in the 10 years I have been subbing, and they all had lessons on analog clocks.  I have taught lessons in Kindergarten that dealt with the "o'clocks" and the difference between the big hand and the little hand, and lessons in first grade with telling time to the nearest 5 minutes.  I am not sure if telling time to the minute is a first grade or a second grade thing. The classrooms have analog clocks and digital clocks.  

I was going to ask: don't they teach telling time in schools? They did when I was in school (80s kid). I learned in first grade. OK, people have phones and don't need to wear watches (although I wear a watch), but had they banished telling time as part of the curriculum 20 years ago when Blake was starting school? Did he just slip through the cracks on that?

Regardless: it drives me crazy when people don't know basic life skills and think that's cute, and telling time is as basic as you get. Shut the fuck up, Blake.

• Love 6

Ah, the power of branding (I do it for a living).  Mary Kay is probably no different from other cosmetic lines in quality, and it may even be better.  Clinique does a lot of pastels as well, but it has a totally different brand image (clean, scientific, advanced, French).  I wear Clinique, but I wouldn't be caught dead in Mary Kay. It's not because of the products--they may be great--but because I associate Mary Kay with pink, pastel, matronly, midwestern, conservative suburban housewives. (Not that there's anything wrong with that. It's just not me.) 

My midwestern conservative suburban sister-in-law and her midwestern suburban conservative daughters sell it. They're pretty good products - certainly as high quality as Clinique, and significantly less expensive - but very, very pink. I think whoever above said that if they renamed it MK and sold it in black lacquered cases at Henri Bendel it would sell like hotcakes was absolutely right.

The makeup artists on this show are struggling to make do with Mary Kay when the look they're struggling for is wet n wild, but Project Runway has a way to fall before they send people to the wet n wild makeup room.

Edited by Julia
  • Love 7

I google "MK Trademark" and apparently, Mary Kay sued Michael Kors for trademark infringement over his use of MK.  They had some sort of trademark pact but Mary Kay felt Michael Kors did not follow it.  They settled out of court in April, 2014.  I don't know any other details because I got bored and stopped reading about it.  

• Love 6

I don't have any sympathy for the designers either, at least not with regards to the amount of time (if their work station is next to someone annoying, then I have sympathy).  Everyone has the same amount of time.  If you are going to be on Amazing Race, learn to drive stick, if you are going to be on Survivor, learn to start a fire without matches, and, if your are going to be on Project Runway, learn to make a garment in a day - or at least practice enough that you know what you are capable of sewing in a day. 

However, I would like to see longer challenges just because I would like to see what they would come up with if they had more time or if they had time to scrap a bad idea and re-start.  With the shorter challenges, they tend to stay in their comfort zones and usually have to stick with what they started because they don't have time to re-think it.  I think this keeps some of them from attempting something more creative.

Yes, certainly anyone who expects or knows that they're going to be on PR should the brains to prep some basic ideas/silhouettes/construction since they should realize that 1 day challenges would be a big part of the game.

Not the point.  If they had more time to think, top sketch, to peruse fabrics. pattern and construct they should be able to actually produce garments which reflect themselves and creativity, not just an adaptation of Simplicity pattern #1325, which is what we're seeing. Was it last year or the year before when one woman answered virtually every challenge with a biker jacket?  She made great biker jackets but could she do anything else? Sure, I can make a garment in a day (I sew for a living) but I can make a really nice, better fitting garment, possibly using more innovative fabrics if I have more time.

• Love 1

Two great guest-judges in a row? Thats a PR/Lifetime first, isn't it? Kiernan Shipka was really pleasant and observant. Considering we are usually treated to the likes of Kaley Cuoco who is twice Kiernan's age and all she had to say was 'I would totally wear that'.

I hope Kelly makes it to Fashion week - either as a finalist or with a decoy collection. I really want to see her translate her Sporty Spice aesthetic into a collection. Her design and styling this week were great.

It was great that they had 45' at mood - its usually a lot less, isn't it? It makes some of the fabric choices all the more disappointing though.

Gabrielle had cannon-fodder written all over her from the very first episode. It probably wouldn't have needed overlocker-gate and I'm not surprised, although I'd rather see her than loud and attention seeking '2n'd time lucky' Amanda.

There is nothing I can say about Blake that has not been said already. Swapnil's dress was ok, but it looked soo tight in the back on the bum. I wasn't keen on Candice - I liked Kelly and Ashley.

Given that 1 of the designers this season--Candice--has the last name "Cuoco", & there's been speculation here she's perhaps a sister (or some other relation) to Kaley, I'm kind of assuming Kaley won't be a guest judge this season. I mean, it wouldn't really be fair to have her sit in judgment of something designed by a relative, right?

As for Kiernan Shipka (responding to someone else's comment & not yours), I think she did fine, & I see no real problem in someone of her relatively young age being a guest judge on the show. I seem to remember her also having been a guest judge on either this show in a previous season during Mad Men's run, or on 1 of the "spinoff" PR shows. Just because she's a teenager (& an actress, by at least current profession) doesn't necessarily mean she's totally clueless about fashion, or that she can't hold her own discussing it with people who actually are professionals in the fashion world. At least in my opinion.

Edited by BW Manilowe
  • Love 2

To me it was like Top Chef having a Chipotle challenge and then everyone making dishes with foam and talking about how cutting edge Chipotle is.

I do remember they did a Quickfire where they had to make a dessert with Diet Dr. Pepper and one where they had to do one with Truvia, another Quickfire with Uncle Ben's rice.    In those I do remember cheftestants acting like those were regular high end ingredients.  Of course there was the Spam challenge, but that was in Maui where Spam actually IS considered a regular food.  Most of the time stuff like Velveeta and Cheetos only show up in the TC equivalent of an Unconventional Materials challenge.

All reality competition shows have short and unrealistic guidelines, from Masterchef to Face Off to Skin Wars.

Masterchef yes, Skin Wars I've never seen.  But Face Off generally has IMO more reasonable time frames, two to three days.

There may be a bit of disdain for the multi-level marketing practices.

That's a big one.  I have an ethical problem with it, but even if you don't - you can't buy it in stores and you can't even order off the website without going through a "beauty consultant."  Kind of a pain in the ass.  I also have ethical concerns with JustFab's deceptive online marketing, so there you go.

Edited by ratgirlagogo
  • Love 4

I didn't like Swampnil's look at all.

Any particular reason you've taken to calling him Swampnil? I've seen this deliberate distortion of his name in previous threads and wondered others might have against him. He seems like one of the least odious contestants this cycle to me.

• Love 5

Given that 1 of the designers this season--Candice--has the last name "Cuoco", & there's been speculation here she's perhaps a sister (or some other relation) to Kaley, I'm kind of assuming Kaley won't be a guest judge this season. I mean, it wouldn't really be fair to have her sit in judgment of something designed by a relative, right?

I don't know that they're not related, but it doesn't appear so based on Wikipedia entries. Candice doesn't have one of her own, and if she were related, someone would surely have mentioned it by now.

I just noticed on the Lifetime page that Ashley's dress had little pleats on the front panel of the bodice. Also, the finishing looked really good all over the dress. I can see where it might not be what Nina might consider editorial since it's all white and gray, but if they're going to have to make a new dress to fix the mistakes in Blake's design, they could make a new dress like hers with color in it.

I wonder how much the finished look in the ad will look like the runway dress. If anyone sees it in Marie Claire, let us know. I'm not going out to buy copies of the magazine until I find it, and I'm not going to spend my time flipping through copies at the store or library. I am curious, but not that curious.

• Love 1

When all the previous contestants/designers can't understand the win because of the construction I think they have a problem.

Again (I said this elsewhere) I was hoping Nina or Zak would actually have the guts to write a blog somewhere defending their decision this week.  But unless I missed it, they haven't, and they don't (have the guts).

• Love 2

Just read Alexander Pope's blog post on this episode and loved this:

Swapnil is doing a LBD with inspiration from "Breakfast at Tiffany's.' I find it funny when people reference "Breakfast at Tiffany's." Yes, Audrey Hepburn looks fantastic in it, yes, NY in the '60s was glamorous and amazing, but it's a sad movie and an even more depressing book. It just makes me wonder if any of them have ever read/watched it in the first place..

Bravo!  So true and how few people seem to know it.

http://www.mylifetime.com/shows/project-runway/blogs/alexander-pope-blog/season-14-episode-4-recap

• Love 4

Ah, the power of branding (I do it for a living).  Mary Kay is probably no different from other cosmetic lines in quality, and it may even be better. I wouldn't be caught dead in Mary Kay. It's not because of the products--they may be great--but because I associate Mary Kay with pink, pastel, matronly, midwestern, conservative suburban housewives. If you go to the Mary Kay website, it's all black and white trendy, but the wholesome, all-American,1950s name (which is just outdated--not cool retro) is such a disconnect with that.

If you look good in the products, who cares how it's branded or what the brand represents to other people? I've never had anyone ask me what brand of makeup I was wearing once it's on my face.

They're pretty good products - certainly as high quality as Clinique, and significantly less expensive - but very, very pink. I think whoever above said that if they renamed it MK and sold it in black lacquered cases at Henri Bendel it would sell like hotcakes was absolutely right.

Given the current Project Runway website, Pink is IN! (and of course, Pink is always the color for breast cancer support) Even MK can't compete with the PR website.

It looks like they are trying to re-brand in a more monochrome palette. I actually like the "urban sophisticates" eye shadow quads. (on the site... I havne't seen them in person) I think they should rebrand a youth line as "Kate" and capitalize on the popularity of Kate Middleton. They can leave all those "fix your aging face and skin" products out of it and add OTT colors.

Of course, young women still won't be able to afford it.

Given how much we talk about the Hair, makeup and Accessory wall companies, it seems like they ought to get their own character threads (or at least one for them to lump into) I feel off topic discussing it in the episode threads (although for this one challenge it is on topic)

Edited by slothgirl

As soon as the judges declared Jake the winner. I turned off my tv, threw down the remote and started barking.. "Nope NOPE. Absolutely No Way. Done." to... no one. I was alone. Thanks for letting me know who got auf'd but I cannot deal with a grown ass precocious person. 

At least this week's boot wasn't yet ANOTHER international contestant. They bounced three accents in a row!

Merline annoys me and makes me sad. The hats.. no thanks.

Edited by smartyshorts

What does bouncing 3 international contestants in a row have to do with anything? Can you justify that any of their garments from any of the three challenges projected them to be in the finals? I certainly cannot. 

Duncan stood up there on the initial challenge of "Show us who you are as a designer" and told Nina he hadn't yet found his voice. Had his garment been decent, they wouldn't have even spoken to him, but it wasn't. And some other designer somewhere who HAS found their voice didn't get to compete.

David understood the cards were to have been the basis of the garment and yet he chose to do a muslin jacket with decorations from the cards. Were there other muslin based pieces? Of course, but his was the only one that had zero Hallmark cards on it, which really is a big F You to the sponsor. The others had cards, his had the card decorations. not even the cards were good enough for him.

Hanmiao had an interesting view as a designer, but it wasn't ready to wear. I predicted her to go later in the game, but alas, she got screwed on the partner pick. I kind of expected Tim to use his save on her. Having said that though, she should have been savvy enough to understand that she was on the firing line with Edmund having immunity and she was the one who chose to fight. And that yellow thing in the first challenge was a monstrosity.

Project Runway always sorts out its contestants with a few who will go all the way (usually 7 or so with the potential), some good TV, and some that were so unmemorable you wonder how they got cast (I figure those are the "do somebody a favor and put my kid on your show" contestants) like Gabrielle. Those first 9 to go? They could go in any order and it's up to them to extend their shelf life. Say what you will about Blake- he picked a bright print for that first dress, he used bright and fun colors for the Hallmark dress and got some cards on his muslin, and he made something with color and movement that would photograph well for Nina's wind machine. He's not long for this world, but he bought himself some more TV time.

• Love 3

More and more, I'm really liking Swapnil both personally and as a designer.  He's funny and charismatic, not mean, and turns out some outfits week after week that show thought, planning, and some talent.    Candice is really growing on me, too.  Her work is consistently interesting.   They're the best of the bunch, although Ashley isn't far behind.  Ashley has a strong style/"point of view", a sort of modern retro thing.  It's not a unique point of view, but she does it well.  I wonder if she'll crash and burn on something like an avant garde challenge.  Can she step out of her comfort zone or adapt her style?  Dunno.  I'm sure Swapnil and Candice can.

Kelly did a good job this week.  Fun, funky, something I could imagine Rosie Perez wearing a few decades back.   Laurie did a good job, as well.  That outfit could be a costume from The Devil Wears Prada or a remake of Working Girl.   Like Kelly's outfit, it was well done and fit the challenge.  Both deserved to be safe.

Merline swung for a homerun this week but put the ball somewhere just behind the shortstop.   I give her a lot of credit for trying but it wasn't her week.  It's fine she was safe.   It's also fine that Edmund was safe.  He went big, but didn't quite deliver somehow.  I did like that he played with bold pattern.

The bottom was well populated this week.   It should have been:  Blake, Lindsay, Joseph, Gabrielle, Jake, Amanda.  ALL of these people should have been called out for a walk of shame.   Blake's was a friggin mess.  It will be interesting to see what is done to correct that monstrosity before it appears in the magazine.  He shouldn't have won.  His interesting idea but poor execution should have made his safe, not a winner.  Lindsay showed that she doesn't really have an eye for fabric or how clothes should fit to flatter a woman.   Joseph, frickin heck, dude.  Can he make something that isn't best suited for a Junior League matron in a third tier Southern town?   He seems to sew well, but that's about it.  He's due to leave right after the contestants who can't apparently sew.   Gabrielle's outfit was terrible and her nervous breakdown was tiresome at best.   She deserved to go home, right after she and Blake were forced to take basic sewing classes at JoAnn's Fabrics.   Jake's outfit looked like any of several dozen that Heidi wore right after the breakup of her marriage.  It was ok, but that's the best that can be said.  I'm sure that Heidi saved him from the bottom.   Amanda, holy moley was that bad.   Bad in ever single way.

By all rights, both Amanda and Gabrielle should have been eliminated this week.

• Love 4

Justawatcher , I'm not saying the internationa lcontestants who got booted didn't deserve it, it was just strange that the went all in a row, when as you say the bottom 9-10 contestants are fodder and could go in any order. That folded skirt mess with the strange headline front the blonde designer for the hallmark challenge really needed to be the one to go. It wouldn't be the first time a contestant got a pass for not really using the unconventional material when the judges still liked the garment. And although the swimsuit debacle was atrocious, that weirdly fitted shiny blue church dress with a half cape should've definitely sent Joe (?)  packing. And this week I feel like Nina may have been on mind altering drugs. I worry for her. 

• Love 1
Blake's was a friggin mess.  It will be interesting to see what is done to correct that monstrosity before it appears in the magazine.

I wonder how Lifetime, Project Runway, Heidi, Tim et al are doing with ALL the criticism.  It's everywhere: their own pages, all possible Facebook pages, newspapers, news rags.  This is probably more publicity than the show has had in YEARS.  Hmmmm....

• Love 3

Amanda, Gabrielle, and Blake really come across as "special snowflakes" each with a shelf of trophies for participation.   Each has been repeatedly shocked that the judges don't find them as consistently amazing as they've always been told they really really are.   With Blake's win, the judges have thrown gasoline on a fire.  

• Love 1

Mary Kay isn't cheap. It's expensive stuff. I've worn the eye shadows and lipstick and loved them. In fact, the lipstick I got was not only a great color for me, it is the ONLY lipstick I've ever worn that didn't trigger an outbreak of cold sores if I kept it on for more than a couple of hours.

So I don't understand the disdain for MaryKay products. However, I also don't understand their attempt to re-brand as edgy and cool for young women who most likely can't afford it, and wouldn't go to a party in the first place.. at least not unless they change the structure of the parties to appeal to a younger crowd. I've gone to several, and they spend a ridiculous amount of time on that Satin Hands product. Then other skin softening / youth'ening stuff. Then there's the push to rope in people who want to try their hand at being consultants (because that's where a party giver makes her best money).

Very few of the consultants I've met have the slightest idea how to advise for makeup colors. The ones whose parties I attended couldn't even tell me whether my skin was warm, cool, or neutral. But the products themselves are not poor quality at all. The L'Oreal eye makeup you buy at your corner drug store (which is also not what young women buy to be edgy and cool) isn't any better. (But then, I prefer vastly Revlon if I'm buying eye shadows at the drugstore)

thank you slothgirl, I agree all of this although I do have to admit that its been some years since i attended a Mary Kay party.  It is quality make up around the level of Max Factor and not cheap by any means.  (and its guaranteed).  FYI, I have three nieces in their twenties that wear Mary Kay and have since their teens.  It lasts forever and I've never broken out from it like I have from some other cosmetics (Loreal included).

All that said, I have a feeling that the PR make-up artists (what happened to hot mustache guy) are frustrated in having to use non theatrical make up which is a completely different animal.  If they are only using Mary Kay make up artists, there is probably so disconnect between everyday make up design and runway design.  We also don't know how the models look on the runway except thru our televisions.  In person, no matter how HiDef the cameras are, the lights and camera media is completely different than live viewing.  Especially with color. 

On the other hand, Blake's monstrosity was hideous and poorly made, stupid blood stain excuse included.  He hadn't even finished the neckline before he nicked himself.  I have a feeling that the only reason he won was (besides the aforementioned producer manipulation) because the color combo of blue and black seem to be in these days and that the hideous balloon shape will be eye-catching.

• Love 3

If I recall correctly, Season One's Jay Carroll never won a challenge and walked off with the whole thing.

Hmmm... I remember a challenge where he made a sweet little top that fit like a dream inspired by the Chrysler building. I thought he won that one, but I could be wrong.

• Love 2

I was curious about that, so I looked on wiki and it looks like he didn't win any challenges until the finale. He did seem to be in the top every week though, according to wiki's chart for season 1. That's really impressive.

With the Chrysler building, an article said this:

"The look was created for a Banana Republic challenge—and, unfortunately, the level of detail in the dress prevented it from winning, since the winner would be mass-produced and sold by the chain—but it's an exquisite melding of client need and personal design philosophy."

Apparently, he lost to Wendy Pepper in that challenge. Oh, how painful!  

• Love 6

Kiernan Shipka was so cute and generous with the positive feedback.

I loved Laurie's design. Big white blouse with the pencil skirt.

Candice's white blouse was unattractive at the shoulder.

I liked Blake's design but only from half a mile away. The construction was abysmal. It was laughable how little he had to say about it to the judges.

• Love 1

I missed the first half of this episode so when Blake won I just assume it was a "Bizarro World" challenge.  His construction was awful.  I know these guys get very little time for these challenges but several other designers' pieces looked finished.  And non-puckered.  And hemmed.  That garment is going to take a lot of editing to show well in a magazine shoot. I don't care for the guy at all.  His twee little persona is annoying and I don't think he's as talented as many of the others. 

Speaking of time allotted, what happened to 2 day challenges?  I'd rather see fully designed and executed attempts over the sloppy stuff they are almost forced to deliver.

• Love 1

I'm late to this party and finally caught up on PR.

I agree with all of you about Blake's "design" and I use that term loosely.  It was more of a "disaster" than a "design."

The black leather dress should have won.  Was that Candice's?   I just spaced out on her name.

Rahul, I wasn't being facetious. I actually thought that was his name until I read your post. It wasn't deliberate on my part at all.
That's what his name sounds like to me when anyone speaks his name on the show. I have nothing against the designer.  I just didn't like this particular dress (too short, the front "feathering" not flattering). I'm still having a hard time remembering the designers' names.

My niece entered high school not knowing how to tell time!!! Drove me insane. Thankfully, my 7 yr old is beginning to tell time. It matters! I'll just say "hey dude, what time is it" and the only clock he can see is analog. So he may still say, the big hand is here and the little hand is here, but that's cool.

Blake's comment about not speaking Indian was beyond! He's so ridiculous. That dress was a horrible mess.

• Love 1

Maybe Mary Kay could launch a line called "M'Kay?" with a voiceover provided by a teenager, heavy on the vocal fry and bored sarcasm.

I'm surprised not one person told the make-up artist to remove his black vest. They're usually ruthless with the product placement and branding, but instead we see ARY KA.

• Love 5