Type keyword(s) to search

Jeopardy! Season 32 (2015-2016)

Athena
  • Start Topic

As a poodle lover, I loved Norine's (OH CRAP's) USE YOUR NOODLE, GET A POODLE!! she was a very fast clue picker too. I think she was unlucky with the categories not in her wheelhouse.

I liked Norine, too.  Most everyone here seems to think she said "oh crap" but my closed captioning said "Holy Crap."  I had to laugh.

• Love 3

I liked Norine saying that Standard Poodles are so laid back they'd sit and have a martini with you at the end of the day. I heard Holy crap.

I just watched Saturday Jeopardy! and the game had pretty much a Clavin. The guy was ahead at the end, bet almost everything (except $799) and got FJ wrong. Season 31, episode 177.

• Love 1

I just watched Saturday Jeopardy! and the game had pretty much a Clavin. The guy was ahead at the end, bet almost everything (except $799) and got FJ wrong. Season 31, episode 177.

I don't think it was a "Clavin", since if the guy (Todd) had got the answer correct, he only would have beat Andrew by $1. I think he made the smartest bet he could, given the circumstances.

I thought a "Clavin" was when the game is a runaway and the guaranteed winner bets too much and then loses. Or am I misunderstanding?

Edited by secnarf
  • Love 3

I got Lincoln Continental, South Sudan (I was screaming at the TV), and Miranda Lambert (and I know next to nothing about country music).

It makes me laugh to think there were other folks screaming "South Sudan" for the same reason. Small world :-)

I guessed Miranda Lambert because I knew it wasn't Carrie Underwood and I don't know any other current country singers.

The Scrooge DD was ridic. The one about poppies was more appropriately difficult (I've never heard that saying).

The prof seemed cool and I was hoping she'd win. It's so frustrating to watch a contestant like Danielle who acts like they don't know they'll lose money for guessing incorrectly!

• Love 3

I said the Articles of Confederation for FJ, even though I knew the century was wrong.  Hey, my answer had a variation of Confederate in it - surely that must count, right?  I mean, it's not like they wanted a specific president or anything.

• Love 2

Amanda: well-groomed librarian on the surface.  But underneath, she's so punk rock, she has a tattoo....of a toaster!

Gordon: one-time professional rock musician who has settled into his true calling as an "e-discover professional" (per the show's website; I think this is like a paralegal.)

Philip: once inspired by Jeremy Irons to become a jungle missionary, now trying to figure out the timing on a game-show buzzer.

But at least Philip got FJ.  I didn't.

• Love 2

The DDs in the DJ round were insultingly simple -- Horn of Plenty where they gave you cornucopia in the clue (basically a kids tournament question) and the Bourne Identity where Jason Bourne and the author's name were both mentioned in the clue (basically a teen tournament question).  Arggh !!!  I thought DDs were supposed to be a bit more challenging, not easier.

I also went with Hawking for FJ.

Edited by ottoDbusdriver
  • Love 3

The DDs in the DJ round were insultingly simple -- Horn of Plenty where they gave you cornucopia in the clue (basically a kids tournament question) and the Bourne Identity where Jason Bourne and the author's name were both mention mentioned in the clue (basically a teen tournament question).  Arggh !!!  I thought DDs were supposed to be a bit more challenging, not easier.

This!

I can't believe Philip the Buzzer Wrestler won. I was surprised at how much money he had going into FJ since he seemed to get every answer wrong.

Again, with a freaking picture! Of Rock Hudson, no less. AARRGGHH!

I got Dominican Republic (missed DD), Muskogee and Howard Cosell.

When I saw the FJ category, I decided I would have bet $0. Since I know little to nothing about physics, I would have facetiously answered Mr. Wizard.

• Love 3

I know Philip was flailing the buzzer, but for some reason I had a soft spot for him.  He seemed very nervous.  And congrats to him for getting FJ.  I was rooting for Amanda, but glad Gordon lost.  A picture of Rock Hudson? 

• Love 1

Horn of Plenty where they gave you cornucopia in the clue (basically a kids tournament question)

While the Bourne Identity was, as you say, insultingly easy, I actually missed this one and had a terrible time with that category for some reason.  Brain fog or something.

He's the only British physics guy I know.

After the correct answer was revealed, I realized I'd heard of Higgs (thanks to watching Big Bang Theory) but I would never have pulled that out of the recesses of my brain.

I had no idea on FJ, but I knew it wasn't Hawking, since he was born in the 40s and the clue stated a paper published in 1954.

I knew the date was too early for Hawking, but he was all I had.  For physicists, if it isn't Hawking, Einstein or Niels Bohr, (or Isaac Newton if it's really old), I got nothing.

Edited by proserpina65
  • Love 4

I know Philip was flailing the buzzer, but for some reason I had a soft spot for him.  He seemed very nervous.  And congrats to him for getting FJ.  I was rooting for Amanda, but glad Gordon lost.  A picture of Rock Hudson? 

Philip made my heart melt.

• Love 5

My SO blurted out Higgs immediately and he'd had his headphones on during most of the show. I don't think Hawking has won a Nobel prize so I knew it wasn't right but I couldn't think of anyone else, so I conceded that win to my guy. : (

• Love 2

GUTSIEST DAILY DOUBLE WAGER EVER.

If he has missed it, we would be saying dumbest Daily Double wager ever.  Maybe both.  It's a fine line between gutsy and dumb.

This is the kind of drama we watch for.

• Love 5

I had to miss last night's game, but looked at it on j-archive, and wondered why there were so many clues left.  After watching Philip hesitate before choosing every.single.time, I get it.  However, I don't get why y'all are so enamored of him.  He annoyed me.  Though I do admire his gutsiness on the DD wager, on what turned out to be an easy DD that he wasted too much time on.

Not gonna lie, I was rooting for anyone else, but would have preferred the woman, since she sensibly started at the tops of the categories more often than the guys.

• Love 4

If he has missed it, we would be saying dumbest Daily Double wager ever.  Maybe both.  It's a fine line between gutsy and dumb.

I actually gasped!

• Love 4

I'm glad other people are sweet on Philip. His combination of modest demeanor and gutsy play is very winning. For a few seconds I was terrified he was going to lose that DD. I can tolerate his slower clue selection. And I liked his story of how he got his name. AT seemed moved by it also; he actually sounded interested in the contestants' stories tonight.

Did not get FJ. I would have guessed Honda. So silly of Kristen to change her first answer to something already in the clue!

Not too many TS's tonight, but I did know hollandaise sauce.

Edited by GreekGeek
  • Love 2

I adore Philip. I had my hands over my eyes for that crazy DD wager and when he didn't respond quickly I just groaned. That was a-ma-zing! Sean looked like he wanted to walk off the set (not in a bratty way, just done).

• Love 3
However, I don't get why y'all are so enamored of him.  He annoyed me.

I'm with you, Browncoat. He's too slow. I thought Sean was a strong player and would've liked to see him win. 

• Love 3

I haven't seen anything that gutsy since Roger Craig bet it all twice in a row starting from 9000 to 18000 then to 36000.

I do think Philip was trying to figure out between two choices, Victoria or Vancouver. Victoria, being on the southern tip of Vancouver Island and capital of British Columbia, might have been its busiest port and depending on how the border is defined might have been only 15 miles away from the US. As a $1200 question, it could have been Victoria and with $19000 on the line, you have to think about it. 

Edited by DrScottie
  • Love 4

And I liked his story of how he got his name. AT seemed moved by it also; he actually sounded interested in the contestants' stories tonight.

Asking if there was a human male in the woman's bed, though it worked out OK, I guess, was something he probably shouldn't have done.

• Love 3

I was debating between Victoria and Vancouver.

I'm not convinced Phillip is all that slow in picking clues. He truncates their names more than many other players, so that helps. Sure, he's not as rapid fire as people who truncate and call them out quickly

• Love 1

I saw the $4-5K lead when he picked the DD, and said, "Don't be stupid", and then he bet $19K. And then I gasped.

Matt Jackson comes to mind with gutsy DD bets. Phillip, on the other hand, is so rootable, it's not cockiness.

(Need to check to see how high up he is for the ToC.)

• Love 1

I am actually annoyed by Philip. I also think he is pretending to be slow and luck is on his side. What I mean is I think he purposely wastes time in picking clues in hopes the time will run out while he is ahead.

• Love 3

I like Philip, and that gutsy DD wager made me stop eating dinner.   Being the geographical idiot that I am, I said Windsor.  The clock ticking away and I thought "he doesn't know it."   Then he pulled it out and went on to bet $11K in FJ (which I also didn't know).  I wish he had beaten Roger Craig's record.

• Love 1

Being the geographical idiot that I am, I said Windsor...I wish he had beaten Roger Craig's record.

I also said Windsor first, totally misreading the clue as SW Ontario.  Once I realized my mistake though I switched to Vancouver.

I came to really like Roger Craig, especially when he was up against Ken Jennings and Brad Rutter, so I was glad his record held.

Edited by Trey
  • Love 2

When he made that $19,000 wager, the three of us watching the three of us gasped, said "Oh my god!", "Oh no!" and covered our eyes. Then when he took so long giving the answer, I had another heart attack that he'd blown it on such an easy DD. I guessed that he thought it was too easy.

I'm a fan. I wish he wouldn't hesitate so much, but I still find him charming, kind, and humble. And kind of cute.

I got Kraken, risk/reward, tostada and Hollandaise.

Was tostada a TS? If so, for TSs I got Kraken, tostada, and one other one I can't recall right now. I mistakenly said bearnaise instead of hollandaise. At least I didn't say "roux" like Kristine. She had some bad guesses.

I got FJ before Alex finished reading the clue. I immediately thought of the Volkswagen scandal, though I didn't know it had previously surpassed Toyota as the No. 1 automaker. (Or was it seller? Is that the same thing?)

• Love 3

Did not get FJ. I would have guessed Honda

I got it right away, because my best friend drove a Volkswagen until very recently.  Not a diesel one, though, which were the cars involved in the whole emissions testing scandal.  But I wouldn't have bet much on the category.

I don't dislike Philip, and he seems nice, but he does need to up the speed on clue selection.  There were too many clues left on the board last night.

You go Philip! I was screaming Vancouver at the TV and he got it. Wow! Now, I need some wine. He's grown on me.

I got Kraken, risk/reward, tostada and Hollandaise.

FJ was relatively easy.

I got tostada and risk/reward, but couldn't come up with Kraken and got Hollandaise confused with béchamel.

• Love 1

I'm not quite as taken with Philip as most of the rest of you.  He seems like a very lovely man, but that doesn't necessarily make for an enjoyable, watchable contestant.  What with the slowness in choosing clues and the slowness in answering, plus the chicken-strangling buzzer technique, I'm not having fun with him. I wickedly wished he'd lost on that crazy giant DJ wager (which I was sure I'd misheard till I double-checked with Mr. Mo, who happened to be passing through the room at that moment).  Unless Philip's a genius of deception, I don't get the feeling he's good enough to pull off wagers like that on a regular basis.  But I've been wrong before. . . .

• Love 1
I was debating between Victoria and Vancouver.

I figured Victoria is just too quaint, so Vancouver was it for me. 

VW was instaget as it's the most fascinating soap opera/legal thriller in the auto industry right now. I'm reading about every word I can find on the subject. So much crap hitting so many fans. 

Could not believe tostada was a TS! Seriously, were you people never poor enough to eat at Taco Hell? 

• Love 2

It made me crazy that she guessed flauta when it was tostada -- those are opposites! Flauta = flute = more rolled up than a taco, not less! But I was already annoyed with that contestant by then, and also I love flautas. 

• Love 4

Risk/reward (or risk/return) really surprised me as a TS.  The Kraken less so, but it was still something I figured someone would come up with, given all the "Release the Kraken" jokes (and the Geico commercial) that could put it in the mind of someone who doesn't specifically know the poem.  That egg yolk sauce = Hollandaise also seemed like something at least one of the three would know (I figure if I, who loathe egg yolks, knows what it is, it's pretty common knowledge -- none of them eat eggs Benedict?).

Identifying Jack Kerouac (in a category that spots contestants the Jack) as the author of On the Road is not a DJ-level clue!

• Love 1

I have to admit that I have missed the last couple of nights but if you put a tostada in front of me and told me it was a tostada I would still look it up to be sure. I'm a super fussy eater, one of the "eats like a five year old" people, heh.

Much like giving the side eye to a football coach who goes for fourth and one on the fifty yard line when there is a lot of time on the clock, a huge DD wager is gutsy if you're right and a bad decision if you are not.

• Love 2

I am all for a shout out to Windsor (since every morning when I park my car at work in Detroit, I can see it) but even without the part about southwestern part of the country, it wouldn't be Windsor since the clue says the port is about 12 miles from the US border.  The Detroit River is maybe a mile wide (i am guessing way less but am bad at judging) so the distance is only the length of a tunnel or a bridge from Detroit.  Also just for geographical oddities, Windsor and surrounding suburbs are the only spot where Canada is directly south of the continental US.   

• Love 5

I am all for a shout out to Windsor (since every morning when I park my car at work in Detroit, I can see it) but even without the part about southwestern part of the country, it wouldn't be Windsor since the clue says the port is about 12 miles from the US border.  The Detroit River is maybe a mile wide (i am guessing way less but am bad at judging) so the distance is only the length of a tunnel or a bridge from Detroit.  Also just for geographical oddities, Windsor and surrounding suburbs are the only spot where Canada is directly south of the continental US.   

Also fun fact - it is roughly at the same latitude as Northern California!

I also spent about 2 seconds debating between Victoria or Vancouver and then settled on Vancouver because it's a larger city with a much bigger port.

For FJ, I came up with Volkswagen in the last few seconds, spending the rest of the time describing the scandal while trying to remember the name of the German company.

I've been having serious word-finding issues lately.

• Love 3

I really try not to disparage contestants who don't come up with answers that seem obvious to me, since everybody knows different things, and it's easy to come up with answers sitting at home, rather than dealing with the pressure of being on national tv.

That said, the fact that the non-Phillip make (sorry, don't remember his name) couldn't associate the Marquis de Sade with an "infamous" work was ridiculous.  I know very little about the French Revolution, and nothing at all about Bastille prisoners, but I got it instantly, because of that one word.  I understand that many of Voltaire's works were controversial and banned, but "infamous" to me is something entirely different. 

• Love 2