Type keyword(s) to search

Jeopardy! Season 32 (2015-2016)

Athena
  • Start Topic

Since I skip the interviews, my feelings about Philip are limited to his game play. Which was Too.Damn.Slow. I watch to see the clues, not contestants who have to stop and ponder the board before picking something and drag every DD out to the last nanosecond. I was willing him to say "Wellingotn" because I knew the answer was Christchurch.

• Love 5

Closed captioning said, "Koko."

Re "Let's Call the Whole Thing Off" ... Does anyone else remember the show Anne Bancroft had (a variety special - remember those?) where she sang the song, but pronounced the words the same?  "You say potayto, I say potayto..."  I still chuckle when I think of that.

• Love 2

I was wondering something about human brain and memory. I did not get the Marquis De Sade question. Of course I have heard of Marquis de Sade and I knew the answer would be someone famous that I've heard of- not some obscure person. But I can honestly say that I have not seen or heard or read any reference to De Sade in over 40 years. Not even a flash has passed through my brain in his regard so I never would have come up with the answer. For example, take Napoleon. I am not reading books on Napoleon nor his wikipedia page. However at least once a year I hear a reference to Napoleon, either as a Jeopardy answer, a joke on South Park, a blog entry, in your travels to Europe -  Famous historical figures are referenced all the time in popular culture and your brain gets a small flash- maybe only every 5 years or so. But I can honestly say that Marquis de Sade has not entered my brain in any slight fashion since maybe High School (40 years ago) so I would not be able to pull it out for the FJ answer. 

Does this make any sense?

Edited by operalover
  • Love 5

Yes, it does. Sometimes I'm amazed at what I remember, but I couldn't say for sure when I last heard of it or learned about it, whatever it is. It might be, as you suggest, that I had heard a mention fairly recently that I didn't even notice, but it stuck in my head and made my previous knowledge of it stronger. Maybe. 

Closed captioning said, "Koko."

I'll still say 'Mr Coco.' 

Edited by peeayebee
  • Love 3

I'm in my mid-sixties and have *never* heard it pronounced tar PAWL in.  No wonder everybody just calls it a "tarp."

Well, to be honest, most everyone I know (myself included) just says 'tarp', but the few people I've heard say the full word did pronounce it that way.  Not saying they weren't extra weird, lol.

Poor Chris looked like he never heard of Shirley Temple Black.  She's the type

of answer they love to have on Jeopardy.  Roger Bannister, too.

I got Christchurch from the religious allusion in the clue.

I got Shirley Temple Black right away because I remember her being an ambassador.  I also got Christchurch for the religion reason; for me, Canterbury = cathedral (a really gorgeous one and burial place of the Black Prince) = Christchurch.  I did, however, miss FJ because it took me far too long to put famous shoes and 1954 together with sub-four minute mile, and even then I couldn't remember Roger Bannister's name before the answer was revealed.  And that was despite having once read a book about him.  D'oh!

• Love 3

I also thought Gwen shoukd have gotten a BMS for Quarter Pounder because it's called a Quarter Pounder with cheese.

When I was in France (in 1995 mind you), it was just "Le Quarter Pounder avec or pas avec frommage".  No Le Royale.  Maybe it depended on the individual franchises, but that conversation in Pulp Fiction has always bugged me.  (Well, the whole movie, really, because I hated it.)  Of course, I'm old enough to remember when you didn't have to special-order a Quarter Pounder without cheese because that choice was right there on the menu.

• Love 3

Some stations are preempting Jeopardy for the duration of the basketball. If you discuss an answer, including the clue would be appreciated. The archive may have them but it is not quick. Thanks!

Unfortunately my station was one. I missed Philip losing finally. His slowness in choosing a category bothered me too. I think it's unfair to the other players and their chance to get to all the answers.

• Love 1

My local station knows how rabid we Jeopardy! fans are, so rather than pre-empting, they've just moved it to a different (morning) timeslot and pre-empted Millionaire instead.  Fortunately, my DVR can find J! at its odd time, and I still get to watch.

• Love 1

1. I got the answer to FJ before they announced the clue. I am awesome.

2. An entire category of Bays and I was not mentioned once?! Fuck you, Trebek.

• Love 9

All three contestants were good (until FJ), but what's with Aurora betting only $3000 on each of her two late game Daily Doubles?  The past few months have shown us you should bet bigger on these DDs, and try to get into the lead.  She trailed by $200 at the end of the second round.  Didn't matter because she got FJ wrong, but I hated to see her squander her chances.

• Love 1

I'll miss Gwen. I'm so glad that Aurora woman didn't win. Her voice drove me insane.

They should have dinged Steve for Daylight Savings. It's Daylight Saving. No "s" at the end.

I got Channel Islands, David Cameron and Singapore.

FJ was an instaget.

• Love 8

FJ was totally in my wheelhouse.  I would have bet everything I had.  And when I saw the clue, I knew Alex would love pronouncing it.  

It was totally in my wheelhouse too so I was actually a little disappointed that it was so easy. 

Gwen was really good yesterday but didn't perform nearly as well today.  Although I'm sorry to see her go so soon, I do like the new champ too.

Three TS's I got were Channel Islands, David Cameron and Singapore.

They should have dinged Steve for Daylight Savings. It's Daylight Saving. No "s" at the end.

I am pretty sure that not too long ago someone did get dinged for adding the S to Saving.  I thought he should have got dinged too.

Edited by Trey
  • Love 2

I'll miss Gwen. I'm so glad that Aurora woman didn't win. Her voice drove me insane.

I got Channel Islands, David Cameron and Singapore.

FJ was an instaget.

What was so bad about Aurora's voice? I don't remember anything specific about it. I really want to read her book about Apollo and Cassandra in LA, though! It must not be published, because I can't find any information on it online.

I would have added the "s" to Daylight Saving, too. Somehow I always heard it that way and thought I always saw it that way, until I Googled it and yep, it's always Daylight Saving. Live and learn.

I thought of Sherlock Holmes first, also, but changed my mind at the word "little." Like others, I thought of AT pronouncing "Hercule Poirot."

Three appealing contestants today! I think I liked them because two out of three had some connection with Classics (Aurora with her book and Steve with his excavation in Cyprus.)

I felt bad for Aurora when she got FJ wrong. She really looked like she was going to cry.

My first thought for FJ was Nero Wolfe although I don't know anything about him. Then I thought of Sherlock but didn't think he was a little man. Suddenly I came up with Poirot.

I was irked when Steve finished his story about finding the sarcophagus, and Alex just said, "Ok," or something like that. I thought the story deserved a more enthusiastic response.

Edited by peeayebee
  • Love 4

I admit to being a mysteryaholic so FJ was a joy for me. In fact if I'd been a contestant, I probably would have done my happy dance after which I could never visit this board again because my tender soul couldn't bear the comments. I didn't really have a favorite in tonight's game but I guess I am glad that the Sherlock answered didn't win.

• Love 5

I cannot believe a question that basically asked who is the current Prime Minister of Great Britain was a TS!

Which question was that?

The only one about a British PM that I remember was Chamberlain, and I think one of the contestants got it.

Of course, I will never forget the Teachers Tournament in which they basically asked who the current PM of Canada was, and it was a TS, so I suppose nobody getting the current British PM shouldn't be all that surprising.

• Love 1

Which question was that?

The only one about a British PM that I remember was Chamberlain, and I think one of the contestants got it.

I forget the wording but it was something like in 2015 this man and his party unexpectedly won and increased their majority.

• Love 3

I forget the wording but it was something like in 2015 this man and his party unexpectedly won and increased their majority.

Wow I must have totally zoned out for that clue, I don't remember it at all!

• Love 1

If Hollywood is casting The Hugh Hefner story, they need look no further than Steve for the lead. He bears a strong resemblance to the more youthful Hefner. Only needs a pipe, a bathrobe, and a couple of twenty something blondes.

I, too, thought FJ was predictable. Alex can't resist showing off his French pronunciations at every opportunity.

I keep waiting for this season's stellar multigame winning contestants. No one in the league of past champs yet. Will make for a dull TOC.

• Love 2

I cannot believe a question that basically asked who is the current Prime Minister of Great Britain was a TS!

I admit I didn't get it, but I just couldn't pull his name from my brain. But still, I was kind of appalled that not any of the contestants got it.

• Love 2

Based purely on thinking Alex loves to say "Poirot," so did I.

"Poirot" is pretty fun to say. I got it immediately (and even pronounced it correctly as I said it out loud, because it is fun - and because it's one of the few French words I can actually pronounce correctly). Then again, I'm weird. There are certain words (English, and other languages) I like to say just because it feels good rolling off the tongue. Not that I go around randomly saying them or anything. Edited by clanstarling
  • Love 4

But he's BELGIAN!!!

Belgian's official languages are French, Flemish, and German, with French and Flemish being the most common spoken languages. Flemish is more prevalent in the north, French in the south, and German in a small area in the east. When I was in Brussels, most spoke French in the businesses and shops. My hotel received one Flemish language station - it was interesting to watch American cartoons dubbed in Flemish. Edited by clanstarling
  • Love 1

I was irked when Steve finished his story about finding the sarcophagus, and Alex just said, "Ok," or something like that. I thought the story deserved a more enthusiastic response.

I guess he already misses Philip's dog stories!
  • Love 1

Let the Clavin talk begin again....

If Steve had bet nothing, he would have been playing with another person tomorrow who already had a game under her belt and would therefore be more difficult to defeat. It's always a gamble--to go for a co-champion victory or risk as little as possible to be the only champ? I thought of Korea first, too, but "Ho" put me in mind of Ho Chi Minh.

James Thurber was a TS---sigh. I also knew satisfaction and sundries. I did not get Emma Lazarus; those poem titles didn't sound like Emily Dickinson, who is the usual go-to American female poet.

• Love 2

Though it has not been stated on the show, there has been a rule change. Ties now result in a tie-breaker question instead of co-champions, so he decided to bet to avoid the tie-breaker.

edited for hyphen consistency

Edited by dcalley
  • Love 8

Though it has not been stated on the show, there has been a rule change. Ties now result in a tiebreaker question instead of co-champions, so he decided to bet to avoid the tie-breaker.

Right. I keep forgetting the rule change.

• Love 1

Well at least the rule change makes his strategy makes sense. Until I came here, I thought he had lost his freaking mind. I loved the Mel Brooks category but the left out one of my favorites "The Twelve Chairs".

• Love 4

Alex very nearly owed me a new TV because if he did one more shitty Mel Brooks impression I was going to put a book through it.

I thought Vietnam was the easiest FJ ever but I guess not.

I wanted to hear how one can be a professor AND a stay-at-home mom, not a teen game show story, dangit.

I haven't watched in a few days so I've missed a lot, but I've always said "tar pawl in," is that not right?

Edited by mojoween
  • Love 3

I wanted to hear how one can be a professor AND a stay-at-home mom, not a teen game show story, dangit.

Johnny Gilbert said adjunct professor, I noticed. Although many adjuncts work 40 hours a week or more, she must not.

• Love 2

Make up your mind, Alex. Is the guy's name pronounced Kim or Keem? He won't be be back, so I guess it doesn't matter.

I hope the new champ figures out that she's wearing an open mic. Her constant exclamations after answers annoyed me.

That Mel Brooks impersonation threw me into a rage.

I got Screech Owl and Laughlin, NV.

I've always pronounced it "tar pawl in", too.

• Love 3

I also forgot about the rule change. Has there been a tiebreaker question since it went into effect? I don't think I've ever seen one in action.

Adjunct professors are generally part-time; she may be home all day and teach one class in the evenings. Or she may teach her class online.

I was pleasantly surprised that the French category didn't offer many opportunities for Alex's beloved (by him) French accent.

Except in that Eiffel Tower clue!

• Love 2

And don't forget "bas-relief."  Yes, "base-relief" is wrong, but who except Pepé Le Pew pronounces it "bah re-LYEFF"?

Thank you, dcalley, for mentioning the rule change, which I didn't know about.  That's why I hit myself in the head with a throw pillow and screamed "You idiot!" when I saw that wager. Apparently I'm the idiot.

• Love 2

I also forgot about the rule change. Has there been a tiebreaker question since it went into effect?

No, and I was kind of hoping today would be the first one in regular play, but I think the guy made the right call in betting $1.

Thank you, dcalley, for mentioning the rule change, which I didn't know about. That's why I hit myself in the head with a throw pillow and screamed "You idiot!" when I saw that wager. Apparently I'm the idiot.

Nah, don't feel stupid. They haven't mentioned it on the air. Maybe Alex should have snuck in a short explanation today for the $1 bet, just to save the poor contestant from people thinking he's greedy or dumb.

Edited by dcalley
  • Love 4

And don't forget "bas-relief."  Yes, "base-relief" is wrong, but who except Pepé Le Pew pronounces it "bah re-LYEFF"?

And there was Louvre which he pronounced "Loov-ray". The French pronunciation is "Loov-er", the English is just plain "Loov".

• Love 2