Type keyword(s) to search

Jeopardy! Season 32 (2015-2016)

Athena
  • Start Topic

But my absolute favorite was Uncle Joe from Petticoat Junction, who I always loved because something about him reminded me of my father.  I'd've been a little nervous letting him drill into my teeth, though.

No kidding? I remember seeing Buchanan in an old western (I think it was The Man from Colorado with Glenn Ford and William Holden), where he does some dentistry IN the movie, while having a conversation with the lawman!

• Love 1

I got ballistic, Yom Kippur, and Cory Booker.

I didn't get FJ. My lame guess was a stop watch, though I figured that was invented long ago. Why was this supposedly an easy FJ?

I liked when the guy was trying to come up with a 4-letter word for casket and said, "What is boxx," drawing out the last sound. Even when he explained to Alex what he was doing, I laughed.

I wish AT wouldn't editorialize about whether FJ was easy or tough. You feel twice as foolish if you miss it. My own guess was a PC or some other kind of computer.

I would have said "bier" for the funeral question.

Edited by GreekGeek
  • Love 1

No kidding? I remember seeing Buchanan in an old western (I think it was The Man from Colorado with Glenn Ford and William Holden), where he does some dentistry IN the movie, while having a conversation with the lawman!

That's funny!  I wonder if they cast him because he was a dentist or they had him do some dentistry once they found out he was.

• Love 1

I didn't get FJ. My lame guess was a stop watch, though I figured that was invented long ago. Why was this supposedly an easy FJ?

I wondered the same. I've never even heard that term so mad props to all 3 contestants getting it right away.

Alex was so busy being snooty -- "pall as in pallbearer" -- to laugh at the new champ's "boxx" response. Shut up Alex.

And shut up Jeopardy with the in-show promotion. I LOVE Audra Macdonald but I'm not interested in her 6 Tonys and HBO special in the middle of a game.

• Love 2

I said Bier, as well.

7 Days War was in June 67 - just before my HS graduation.

Technically, the 6 Days War. Which I never get straight, I always say 7 too - even though we lived on a military base an uncomfortable 15 minutes air flight from the action at the time. I was in 6th grade, and we spent much of that time worrying if the families would be airvaced out while our fathers had to stay. Edited by clanstarling
  • Love 1

Could we please never have Alex doing a Tarzan impersonation again?

Thanks.

eta  Or any other impersonation, for that matter.

Edited by Seestra1
  • Love 10

Oh.My.God. with the Tarzan impersonation!  The category itself was bad enough without Alex and the voice.

I was surprised the now-former champ missed moveable feast -- I don't even like Hemingway and I got that one.

I was less surprised that no one knew where the Great Dismal Swamp is, although if you're given Virginia, your choices are limited.

• Love 4

Congrats to Erin on an impressive win!

I thought it was a pretty good game.

I can't say I remember getting any TS's but I did get Moveable Feast (missed DD) and I got FJ pretty quickly.

• Love 2

My ears are still ringing from Tarzan Trebeck. I agree it was a good game but the champ's missing "a moveable feast" could have been what cost him the game. I am not a Hemingway enthusiast (had to read too much of it in college) but I am fond of his stories of his Paris years.

• Love 3

Seeing a photo of Michael Steele and identifying him as Reince Priebus was astonishing to me.  Apparently she did not know that Reince Priebus is not black.  Maybe this is why I was rooting against her.  I don't know what it was, I just don't like her.  Sorry to see the old champ go.  I even liked the guy in the middle.  Oh well.  Another day, another champ. 

That Tarzan category was awful.  They wrote that whole thing so Alex could show off his terrible Tarzan impression.?  What a waste!

• Love 4

I love it when the clue is about someplace that I've been.  I holler out to the cats, "Been there, done that..." and sometimes can even add, "bought the tee shirt" - but no tee from Dismal Swamp.  I did go for a short hike on a trail by the visitors' center, right past the sign warning of possible snakes on the pathway.  Oh, I'm SO brave. The trail kind of looped around this big ol' grassy area that had a giant fire hydrant in the middle and several dog poop stations around the perimeter.  Nice of the visitors' center to provide a comfort station for dogs, too.  (This was just over the state line from VA into NC - on a desolate road that every so often had "bear crossing" signs and then a sign for a wayside table -- who's gonna have a picnic in a bear crossing area?)

Sorry to see the champ go. I liked him.

• Love 2

Uggh -- yet another "here's a map outline of two countries -- please identify" clue.  And I believe it was a DD to boot.  Way to easy.

That Michael Steele miss by Erin was pretty embarrassing.  Swing and miss

I was a bit confused by the Chicago TV Newhart clue -- because they kind of gave it to the returning champ. And since it was the DJ round, they really shouldn't get more than one try at the correct answer.

• Love 3

I got North Carolina -- it seemed the most probable answer -- but I don't know anything about the Dismal Swamp. I've heard of it, but I have no idea what I've heard about it.

I couldn't come up with Michael Steele's name, though I knew he wasn't Reince Priebus, or however you spell it.

Being an English major, I'm embarrassed I didn't get a Moveable Feast.

• Love 1

That was a good competitive game.

FJ was an instaget and thank goodness because I've blown the last couple or so.

I just sighed at Erin's Michael Steele fail. She got all those obscure clues about swamps and whatnot but couldn't identify the first black chairman of the RNC - with a photo? I also bristled a bit when Erin answered "African Americans" and Alex said Yes we'll accept that, Slaves. I understand what he did but...ugh. Had to go to Twitter to make sure I wasn't alone in that.

• Love 3

I also bristled a bit when Erin answered "African Americans" and Alex said Yes we'll accept that, Slaves. I understand what he did but...ugh. Had to go to Twitter to make sure I wasn't alone in that.

I can't remember the clue, but after that awkwardness, I do remember wondering if men should have been specified (which makes me think it was about the right to vote).

I just sighed at Erin's Michael Steele fail.

She must not watch MSNBC - he's on all the time.

I got FJ right away also.  But heh, nylon strong as steel?  Not modern day pantyhose :-)

• Love 6

Departing champ looked like Professor Stein (Victor Garber) on DC Legends of Tomorrow.

Agreed! I said the same thing. 

I also bristled a bit when Erin answered "African Americans" and Alex said Yes we'll accept that, Slaves. I understand what he did but...ugh. Had to go to Twitter to make sure I wasn't alone in that.

Yeah, tf was that??

• Love 2

Nice game tonight.  I was surprised Erin did not get "null and void," especially as she works in a law-related field. Perhaps the pressure got to her.

I was surprised at the low FJ bets (except for the eventual champ) - I would think that "state capitals" is an area all contestants would study, and feel a certain amount of confide3nce in.   It was an instaget for me.

• Love 5

Annapolis and Albany were not even a consideration for FJ, Alex. Stop it. Annapolis is not "north".

I didn't see the episode where Alex was trying to be Tarzan, but it could not possibly have been worse than whatever he was trying to do with his alleged WALL-E voice. That was SO BAD.

I really liked Michelle but I like the new champ well enough too. It amuses me that he landed on the Louisiana DD.

I like how diplomatic Erin was with the answer of Jenner. Because when he won Olympic medals, he was Bruce, but now she is Caitlyn so I think Jenner was the perfect answer. And in this case, his daughters weren't even alive then so a BMS wasn't warranted.

Edited by mojoween
  • Love 6

I didn't see the episode where Alex was trying to be Tarzan, but it could not possibly have been worse than whatever he was trying to do with his alleged WALL-E voice. That was SO BAD.

Tarzan was a whole category and had the bad voice plus bad grammar. You're lucky you missed it!

• Love 3

I knew "belt and braces" and Dr. Denton; I also thought FJ was easy.

I actually thought the Tarzan book reviews were kind of cute, but agree on the robot voice.

• Love 4

I liked all three contestants. Congrats to Todd. I liked his gutsy FJ wager.

You say crayfish, I say crawfish, we all say "STFU, Alex!"

The only TS I got was Dr. Denton.

FJ wasn't an instaget, but I finally got it.

• Love 6

I could stand his Tarzan voice more than his robot voice. That was excruciating. And why? WHY?

I did really bad tonight. I don't think I got a single B & B clue. I didn't get FJ either. I thought it was Albany. I didn't know what the capital was Maine was. I'm bad at state capitals. Obviously.

I don't know if there were any TSs that I got. What were the TSs?

• Love 2

I could stand his Tarzan voice more than his robot voice. That was excruciating. And why? WHY?

I did really bad tonight. I don't think I got a single B & B clue. I didn't get FJ either. I thought it was Albany. I didn't know what the capital was Maine was. I'm bad at state capitals. Obviously.

I don't know if there were any TSs that I got. What were the TSs?

Sitting next to the couch with you, I said Albany too. I always blame it on wine, :)

• Love 4

We laugh about the fact that Maine always seems to get cut off when they show the national weather map--it's as if New England goes up as far as Boston, and then there's nothing.  I was thinking that at least one person would fall into a trap and say Anchorage (which isn't even a capital, but it is really far north).  So it was a pleasant surprise that all three of them got Augusta.  It's about thirty miles from my house, so obviously I got it.  Alex sounded ridiculous saying Annapolis was one of the far north A's.  Does he own a map?  No lobster for you!

• Love 3
I like how diplomatic Erin was with the answer of Jenner. Because when he won Olympic medals, he was Bruce, but now she is Caitlyn so I think Jenner was the perfect answer. And in this case, his daughters weren't even alive then so a BMS wasn't warranted.

I believe there was a similar question recently (i.e. since Bruce transitioned to Caitlyn Jenner) and the contestant did the same thing - "who is Jenner" and Alex similarly added on "Bruce" to the contestant's answer. It can be confusing for contestants though because it's such a high-pressure situation that you're not necessarily thinking about what is the politically correct first name to use, and rather you're blurting out the first thing that comes to mind.

• Love 1

Annapolis and Albany were not even a consideration for FJ, Alex. Stop it. Annapolis is not "north".

All I could come up with was Annapolis.  Never would have thought of Augusta, and as a New Yorker, I'm embarrassed to say I forgot Albany...

• Love 3

I liked all three contestants. Congrats to Todd. I liked his gutsy FJ wager.

You say crayfish, I say crawfish, we all say "STFU, Alex!"

The only TS I got was Dr. Denton.

FJ wasn't an instaget, but I finally got it.

And I say crawdad!

I got stuck on Albany for FJ. Looking up the various latitudes led to me discovering that I'm further north than Augusta, and I'm in central Oregon. I think there's a conspiracy by Northeasterners to make us think they own the North. (And now I'll wait for an Alaskan to smack me down.)

• Love 1

Seeing a photo of Michael Steele and identifying him as Reince Priebus was astonishing to me.  Apparently she did not know that Reince Priebus is not black.

I should've known Michael Steele because he was once Lt. Governor of my state, but I didn't.  At least I knew he wasn't Reince Priebus, though, because, yeah, not black.

I was surprised at the low FJ bets (except for the eventual champ) - I would think that "state capitals" is an area all contestants would study, and feel a certain amount of confide3nce in.   It was an instaget for me.

I couldn't remember all the "A" capitals (forgot Austin and Albany) but Augusta was so obvious it hurt.

• Love 1

Yeah, tf was that??

"Slaves" was the correct answer, but discussion around that whole issue often conflates slavery and race, for very obvious reasons, so they accepted "African Americans" as a variant answer.

• Love 1

Sitting next to the couch with you, I said Albany too. I always blame it on wine, :)

Hey, I had wine last night, too! That's what the problem was.

Honestly, when the first contestant revealed her answer "What is Augusta," I groaned because I thought she was thinking Augusta, Georgia. I REALLY need to learn the state capitals.

• Love 2

All I could come up with was Annapolis.  Never would have thought of Augusta, and as a New Yorker, I'm embarrassed to say I forgot Albany...

Living in Metro Atlanta, I forgot both Atlanta and Albany.  But I shouted out "Augusta" before Alex barely got started reading the clue.

Coincidentally, Georgia has an Augusta and an Albany, too, but no Annapolis.  hahahaha.

• Love 1

Augusta was the only A capital I could think of, and I grew up in New York State. But it's only fair that I would ignore Albany as Albany so often ignored Western New York. 

I would've recognized Michael Steele if I'd seen that game because of the puppet him on The Daily Show.

• Love 2

I thought of Albany first, but started going through the rest of the A capitals, and got Atlanta, Austin...oh, Augusta.  Never did think of Annapolis before the music stopped, which is probably a good thing, since according to Alex, I might have been confused as to whether or not Maryland was further north than Maine.  

Speaking of Alex, does he actually listen to the contestants during the interviews?  I realize he's heard tens of thousands of anecdotes by this point, but it seems that he misses the point of a story fairly often.  Yesterday, when the new champion was talking about his hotels, I thought it was very clear that he didn't think they were haunted, but he'd sometimes go along with the story if it seemed like that's what a guest wanted to hear.  Then he talked about the photos with the lights and smudges or whatever, and how people would bring these as "proof", and Alex smugly pounced on that with a "well, the camera might just be out of focus" or whatever.  No kidding...that was kind of the whole point.

Edited by Scott
  • Love 4

Living in Metro Atlanta, I forgot both Atlanta and Albany.  But I shouted out "Augusta" before Alex barely got started reading the clue.

Coincidentally, Georgia has an Augusta and an Albany, too, but no Annapolis.  hahahaha.

I am worse than you- I also live in metro Atlanta and didn't think of as one of the "a" capitals- but I went to school in Albany New York and it never crossed my mind! I did get Augusta Maine though ..so there is that.

Was the Italian Art category last night? maybe was the night before. I loved it! I ran that category and I got the TS Primavera!

• Love 3

Augusta was the first thing that came to me (I have no idea why since I don't live in the northeast).  I totally forgot about Albany, even though I flew into there once on my way to Saratoga Springs. And on my way home, my flight was canceled and I had to spend the night in Albany.  I was not happy.  I guess I have a sore spot regarding Albany. 

All three contestants were really pleasant and started at the top.  It was an enjoyable game.

• Love 1