Type keyword(s) to search

Jeopardy! Season 32 (2015-2016)

Athena
  • Start Topic

I got Marquis de Sade, but I didn't think Voltaire was a bad guess.

(I just looked up Voltaire on Wikipedia and he died several years before the French Revolution.  The reason I thought of Marquis de Sade was the movie Quills.  But if I hadn't seen that movie I might have answered Voltaire, too.)

• Love 4

Fabbrica Italiana Automobili TORINO=F.I.A.T -------- Torino/Turin is in the name!

Did Alex really need to make a comment during "less than a minute to go"? Correct Answer was given "Gone with the Wind" and Alex "yes, remember 1939?" No they were not alive in 1939 and you Alex were a child in 1939 so you don't remember either! Totally necessary comment which waste time. So many clues left and that didn't help.

Edited by operalover
  • Love 4

If Philip chose (and answered) more quickly, there would be fewer clues left on the board.  The other two contestants tried to pick up the pace, but it came to a screeching halt every time Philip rang in.

• Love 6

If Philip chose (and answered) more quickly, there would be fewer clues left on the board.  The other two contestants tried to pick up the pace, but it came to a screeching halt every time Philip rang in.

I agree.  Philip seems like a nice guy but his slowness in choosing and in answering is very annoying.

I did not get FJ but smacked my head when it was revealed.  "Infamous" alone, even without "French aristocrat" should have been enough.

• Love 4

Poor P looks like he's about to self-destruct every game. And as long as he remains champ, they'll never complete a board because he can barely get words out of his mouth. But his grin when he surprises himself with a correct answer is really cute. And I love the wild wagers!

• Love 5

I loved Alex and Emilia's little altercation about "Wuthering Heights." I thought of one of our posters who opined on one of the book threads ("Unpopular Opinions," I think) that it's a story of two twisted and horrible people and not a glorious love story at all.

Nice to have a FJ that was an instaget again! I also knew "go along to get along."

I wonder when one of Philip's huge wagers will backfire. I'm still enjoying him, but his slowness began to wear on me a bit today.

• Love 4

Congrats to Philip on another win, and another gutsy DD wager that paid off, but his sloooooowness is starting to get on my nerves. Way too many clues left on the board. They didn't even get to the second DD in Double Jeopardy! did they?

Why did that guy, Geoff, not pronounce the p at the end of tulip? That bugged me.

I got a couple TS, but I don't remember what they were, as I was eating dinner and didn't write them down. I'm sure y'all wanted to know that. ;-)

FJ was an instaget for some reason.

• Love 7

Congrats to Philip on another win, and another gutsy DD wager that paid off, but his sloooooowness is starting to get on my nerves. Way too many clues left on the board. They didn't even get to the second DD in Double Jeopardy! did they?

Why did that guy, Geoff, not pronounce the p at the end of tulip? That bugged me.

I got a couple TS, but I don't remember what they were, as I was eating dinner and didn't write them down. I'm sure y'all wanted to know that. ;-)

FJ was an instaget for some reason.

Maybe it bothers Geoff subconsciously that he knows his name is never pronounced as it is spelled?

Philip's wagering has kept me at the edge of my seat for a couple of games now, and I don't quite "get" his strategy. He's all over the board, and the wagers are huge, but his breadth of knowledge does not seem to line up with his bravery. He's fun to watch, though, and quite endearing. (He's also from Atlanta, which makes him a sort of neighbor.)

• Love 3

I have been rooting for Phillip on the basis of his guts in betting and his resemblance to my doctor. However he came very close to losing me for good when he answered Animal Farm in the 19th century novels category. He bounced back well but for the whole rest of the show, I was distracted by wondering where he came up with that.

• Love 3

I also thought of Animal Farm because I forgot it was specifically 19th century literature and Napoleon is a main character in Animal Farm. Plus, with it being about Russia, the Russian-sounding name threw me.

I looked up Philip and he's a math professor and one of his research interests is probabilities. Makes his wagering more interesting

• Love 7

Did Alex really need to make a comment during "less than a minute to go"? Correct Answer was given "Gone with the Wind" and Alex "yes, remember 1939?"

Operalover, I rewound and listened a few times. It sounds to me like Alex T. said September 1939.

ETA: I looked it up, and Britain declared war on Germany in September 1939.

Edited by halfpint ingals
  • Love 3

The reason I thought of Marquis de Sade was the movie Quills.  

Me too! I also read a book about him, but it was definitely the movie that helped me.

I also thought of Animal Farm because I forgot it was specifically 19th century literature and Napoleon is a main character in Animal Farm. Plus, with it being about Russia, the Russian-sounding name threw me.

I was about to say War and Peace, then I guessed Animal Farm. Obviously I forgot it was 19th century lit. I can't remember the other character names in that book, but I get the feeling that Bokoronsky (or whatever it was) wasn't in the Orwell book.

I still like Philip, but his slowness was bothering me more tonight. I really don't think he's doing it to purposely slow down the game.

• Love 2

Fabbrica Italiana Automobili TORINO=F.I.A.T -------- Torino/Turin is in the name!

Not everyone knows cars or in my case don't retain it, my first car was a FIAT Spider and I missed it. I do remember that my dad insisted that FIAT stood for "fix it again tomorrow." Edited by biakbiak
  • Love 9

Add me to the list of the "anyone but Philip" club. His obvious look at the scoreboard before choosing a clue is driving me batty. It's not all math/odds. Something is lost in the spirit of the game with him. How about running a category? He's obviously very knowledgeable but he's a champ I can't wait to see dethroned. Even the recent clenched jaw champ (name escapes me) didn't irritate me as much. 

• Love 2

Operalover, I rewound and listened a few times. It sounds to me like Alex T. said September 1939.

ETA: I looked it up, and Britain declared war on Germany in September 1939.

That does make more sense than "remember 1939!" lol but still, no need to say that either Alex with the clock running out!

I don't know anything about cars but I know what FIAT stands for - I guess more because I am in Italophile (not sure if that is a word) - I love everything about Italy and the Italian language so that was easy for me but I can see why people missed it. 

The champ is an interesting guy. Don't they tell them to pick clues quickly? It's like you can see his thought process- he is trying to figure out which one to pick- it doesn't matter just pick something!

• Love 1

I find Philip annoying as well, and kind of seedy looking.  Maybe it's my Hi-Def tv but he looks like he needs a shower and a shave.  Which is kind of logical if he's an absent-minded professor, but I still don't like it.  I am, however, in awe of his risk-taking, as I would never ever ever be so bold in my wagering.  But I hate the slowness of the game play, and the fact that the board looks like it's been shot full of holes during the game.  Makes my stabby...

• Love 3

I now officially dislike Philip, because he's so damned slow at picking the next clue.  They left so much money on the board last night, it almost made me sick.  They left nearly an entire category, for dog's sake!  And I really wanted to see the rest of Musicians' Autobiographies, damn it.

I loved Alex and Emilia's little altercation about "Wuthering Heights." I thought of one of our posters who opined on one of the book threads ("Unpopular Opinions," I think) that it's a story of two twisted and horrible people and not a glorious love story at all.

Nice to have a FJ that was an instaget again! I also knew "go along to get along."

I wonder when one of Philip's huge wagers will backfire. I'm still enjoying him, but his slowness began to wear on me a bit today.

I'm on Alex's side on this one.  Even if you consider Wuthering Heights a love story (and I don't), it's not really a romance and certainly not a bodice ripper.

Fabbrica Italiana Automobili TORINO=F.I.A.T -------- Torino/Turin is in the name!

I had no idea that's what FIAT stands for.  I almost said Ferrari, then remembered the quirky commercials for the FIAT 500 and changed my answer in time.

OK, Alex. Stop correcting peoples' pronunciations. While "TARP uh leen" wasn't quite right, it was a hell of a lot closer than "tar PAWL in."

To me, Alex's pronunciation is a lot closer to correct - I've actually heard people pronounce it that way.  Tarp uh leen, on the other hand, seems, imo, to be wrong, and I thought Philip should've gotten dinged for it since his pronunciation added a 'e' to the end.  Edited to note that Macmillan's Online dictionary pronounces it exactly the way Alex did.

Edited by proserpina65
  • Love 3

For those of you who can't warm up to Philip, weren't you just a little taken by his story of the wife staying home to take care of their terrier?  That sealed him for me, as it's something my husband and I would do.  When we got our rescue cairn, they first asked us if we had someone to take care of her when we traveled.  My husband said, "Not a problem, we don't travel!"  I wish Philip had said what kind of terrier it was...

I agree that it's good to clear the board, but a sweet disposition and zero cockiness works well for me too...

No, not really.

• Love 4

I find myself wanting to throw stuff at my poor defenseless TV when Phillip can't pick a clue in a timely fashion.  I tell my hubby everyday that I will not watch tomorrow if he wins but being Jeopardy's bitch draws me back every single day.  Yesterday left me with no one to root for because the other contestants were equally annoying (with one thinking she can just keep guessing until she got it right & then basically becoming non-existent in the game)

I just find it intolerable to get the less than a minute warning when 1/2 the board is still up there.  I am one who hates it when one clue is left uncovered so more than one makes me super stabby.  I record the show so I never listen to the interview part. My FFWD stopped just in time to hear Alex say the show is weird today.

• Love 4

I honestly don't expect Phillip to speed through each clue, but this slow and leisurely fashion that he uses is almost rude to me. (I know that I may be overreacting.) I still think he does it on purpose.

• Love 4

but this slow and leisurely fashion that he uses is almost rude to me. (I know that I may be overreacting.) I still think he does it on purpose.

Yeah, like last night when there was a chance the guy in the middle could wind up with enough not to make it a runaway and he goes so slowly, I also think its on purpose.

• Love 6

Oh you mean, mean boardies! How can you ever think that this sweet little frowsie professor, with the cutest grin ever,  a real dog lover, yet, could be plotting such evil????? I'm sticking with the giant nerves theory, while at the same time, pulling for an upset by a really, really special person! :)

• Love 3

OK, Alex. Stop correcting peoples' pronunciations. While "TARP uh leen" wasn't quite right, it was a hell of a lot closer than "tar PAWL in."

To me, Alex's pronunciation is a lot closer to correct - I've actually heard people pronounce it that way.  Tarp uh leen, on the other hand, seems, imo, to be wrong, and I thought Philip should've gotten dinged for it since his pronunciation added a 'e' to the end.  Edited to note that Macmillan's Online dictionary pronounces it exactly the way Alex did.

I'm in my mid-sixties and have *never* heard it pronounced tar PAWL in.  No wonder everybody just calls it a "tarp."

• Love 4

No, not really.

His wife really should have called me- I watch small dogs here in my home in Atlanta! It's not that hard to find a good, caring dog sitter these days with Dogvacay very active in Atlanta with many host homes with over 50 positive reviews and 35 repeat customers. But I digress. 

• Love 1

Imaginary conversation here at the Mondrianyone household:

Me:  I had the greatest idea today, honey.  Let's get a terrier!

Mr. M:  What kind of terrier?

Me:  Oh, I don't know.  A very fierce one.

Mr. M:  Yeah, and . . .?

Me:  And then I'll quit my job and stay home all day to watch it.  'Cause I couldn't possibly hold down a job and have a dog, too.

Mr. M:  But you work at home!

Me:  Shhh!  It's almost time for Jeopardy!  That dreamy math professor is still champ!

Edited by Mondrianyone
  • Love 2

Poor Chris looked like he never heard of Shirley Temple Black.  She's the type

of answer they love to have on Jeopardy.  Roger Bannister, too.

I got Christchurch from the religious allusion in the clue.

• Love 7

I am not sorry to see Philip go, but I am surprised that he crashed and burned so badly that he didn't even get to FJ.  I'm also surprised he didn't get Christchurch -- seemed obvious to me based on the religion hint in the clue.

I'm also a little surprised no one knew Gardasil. 

I wonder if they would have accepted just Shirley Temple?  Or perhaps Shirley Temple Carson?

• Love 7

Some stations are preempting Jeopardy for the duration of the basketball. If you discuss an answer, including the clue would be appreciated. The archive may have them but it is not quick. Thanks!

• Love 1

Congrats to Gwen on her win - she seems very nice, and sharp too and I didn't notice any off-putting behaviour. I liked the guy in the middle but he did guess (wrongly) at too many answers.

I am also surprised that P crashed and burned like that. With that high winning total, will he make it to the ToC?

I got the two missed DD's of Shirley Temple Black and Christchurch; my only TS that I remember is Grimm. I was so ticked that they only got to one clue in the Gershwin tunes category - I did get the one revealed clue.

I did not get FJ.  Certainly I've heard of Roger Bannister but I would never have gone to sports, thinking more of political people.

• Love 3

I was a Philip fan at first, and especially when he made that $19,000 wager, but he really annoyed me today by consistently starting at the $1000 clue.  It was finally his undoing.  Serves him right.

I got Grimm and Arrow and Shirley Temple Black.  

I'm glad Gwen won.

Edited by SierraMist
  • Love 9

Well, now we know what happens when Philip bets big and is wrong. I want Mr. Cocoa to be on the show.

That Pope answer should have been BMS. It could have been Pope Carson.

I got euro, Shirley Temple Black and Grimm.

For FJ, I screamed Khrushchev immediately. I didn't pay close enough attention to the year.

*facepalm*

• Love 8

That's probably where Alex got his pronunciation from.

I'm glad Philip is done, although he was growing on me a bit.

I got Gardasil, Euro, and Shirley Temple - I would have just said Shirley Temple, not Shirley Temple Black, but hopefully that would have been accepted.

I had no idea for FJ, though!

• Love 1

That's probably where Alex got his pronunciation from.

I'm glad Philip is done, although he was growing on me a bit. I would have just said Shirley Temple, not Shirley Temple B

I got Gardasil, Euro, and Shirley Temple -lack, but hopefully that would have been accepted.

I had no idea for FJ, though!

That would have been an interesting ruling, since when she was appointed her name was Shirley Temple Black. I guess it depends on whether the judges were in "Carson" mode.

• Love 5

That would have been an interesting ruling, since when she was appointed her name was Shirley Temple Black. I guess it depends on whether the judges were in "Carson" mode.

I would have been curious if a contestant answered "What is Black ?" and if they would have awarded it to them, just like that Rebecca Black clue a few days ago ?

I have to admit I was glad when Philip missed his DD -- and then failed to make FJ.  

• Love 5

Looks like Gwen ran away with Philip's sandwich, too.

I'll give him credit for amassing such an impressive total in just three days, even if he did it in a pretty annoying way.  But I guess my feeling that he didn't have the goods to carry this off over the long haul was correct.  I'm sorry we'll never learn the proper spelling for Mr. Coco . . . Cocoa . . . Koko . . . Keaukeau?

And I think whoever said early on that he might be a stutterer and not being slow strategically may be right.  He talked just as slowly and painfully in his chats, when there was no strategic advantage.

• Love 6

Why wasn't Oahu considered a one-consonant word? Did it also have to be two syllables or less?

The clue asked for the island largest in area that fit the category. Maui is a bit bigger than Oahu.

• Love 4

Although I liked Philip, I was getting increasingly annoyed with his slowness in picking out clues. I never thought he was intentionally delaying, but it still irked me. I also didn't like his immediately jumping to the $1000 clues. I did like all his stories. This last one about Mr Coco was very cute. I picture Eddie from Frasier.

I got "Let's Call the Whole Thing Off," and was surprised it was a TS.

I wasn't paying attention when the New Zealand clue was read whose answer was Christchurch. I was thinking they were still in the One Consonant category.

For FJ my sister said Churchill, but I didn't think that was right because I couldn't think what the historical thing he did in 1954 was. I really didn't have a guess, but I was futzing around with Prince Phillip, thinking that Queen Elizabeth might have been crowned that year. I've heard of Roger Bannister, though if you asked me what he was famous for, I wouldn't remember. That was a good FJ. I did get annoyed with Alex for saying to Gwen that she was thinking of the law instead of sports when she wrote down Barrister. Uh... no, not really. She just couldn't remember his name correctly. 

Edited by peeayebee
  • Love 5