Type keyword(s) to search

Jeopardy! Season 32 (2015-2016)

Athena
  • Start Topic

Hey, Alex is from Canada and I bet he knew today's Final Jeopardy.

What was Rachel doing betting everything but $1 on FJ?  If she had come in second she would have felt awful.  In a tie situation you HAVE to bet it all, imho.

• Love 3

I have lived in Virginia almost my whole life, so FJ was a gimme for me -- the Old Dominion, duh. 

Glad middle guy didn't win -- it looked like he was going to give himself a hernia with the buzzer.  I liked the Canadian girl, though.

• Love 5

I completely overlooked the date in the FJ clue and guessed Salt Lake City, figuring that many Mormons abstain from caffeinated beverages, and McDonalds wouldn't open a location without them.

I followed the same logic. 

I was hoping Soumia would win. She had such a happy demeanor. Alex seemed quite smitten with her, and not just because she was Canadian.

Middle guy drove me nuts with his fullbody buzzing!

• Love 2

I laughed at the Terry Fox question and Alex's comment.

Is he reasonably well known in the US? Because in Canada, that would be considered easy for the Kids' Tournament, but I never really got the impression he was a household name in the US.

• Love 2

Is he reasonably well known in the US? Because in Canada, that would be considered easy for the Kids' Tournament, but I never really got the impression he was a household name in the US.

I said "it's that guy...Terry something...Terry Carson, that's it!"

• Love 6

Rachel's stories are as dull as dishwater.  Addicted to lip gloss?  She has 5 or 6?  Slacker.  I have at least that many in my purse.   I have no entertaining stories to tell about myself either, but I'd make something up!

• Love 7

Yeah, I've never heard of him. 

Rachel's stories are as dull as dishwater.  Addicted to lip gloss?  She has 5 or 6?  Slacker.  I have at least that many in my purse.   I have no entertaining stories to tell about myself either, but I'd make something up!

Poor thing -- she was really scraping the bottom of the barrel there. (Those stories are hard, though!)

I was really pulling for Soumia -- so cute! And I also loved her top, even more when it turned out to be a dress. 

• Love 2
(edited)

Oh man, now I have The Lees of Old Virginia in my head!  FJ was a total gimme, and I'm disappointed that guy in the middle didn't get it because I thought he was cute.  On a related note: I now dislike Rachel for some reason I can't explain and really didn't want her to win.  Soumia would've been a perfectly acceptable champion, though.

Oh, and when I saw the Book Songs category, I said "Everyday I Write the Book should be a clue" to the picture on the cover of Elvis Costello's recent memoir, and lo and behold, it was.  (Terrific book, btw, if a bit stream of conciousness-y.)

secnarf, on 03 Mar 2016 - 10:13 PM, said:

Yeah, I've never heard of him.

I've heard of him, and knew who they were going for, but couldn't come up with his name.

Edited by proserpina65
  • Love 2

That Italian language topic was ridiculously easy. I am fluent in Italian but still it could have been Chinese or Swahili-- In the Merry Month of .........- you could have had any foreign language word there. Same for the first one the expression gave the whole thing away- can't remember it now but it was stupido. The color "verde" is the same in Spanish.  Too too easy all of them. 

They have had a lot of easy categories lately. That Bat one was ridiculous!

• Love 5

The answer was Zeppelin and they ruled "blimp" incorrect?  That's rough.  Perhaps technically accurate, but a tough ruling, as most people refer to them as blimps.

I missed FJ, too.  Somehow I thought Helen Reddy was Canadian.

• Love 2

I don't think I knew Helen Reddy was Australian.  I was clueless on FJ, but y'know, I was eight in 1972, and still listening to kiddie albums.

I have, however, heard of "Back in Black" and I think Alex needs to broaden his horizons, musically speaking. 

• Love 6

The answer was Zeppelin and they ruled "blimp" incorrect?  That's rough.  Perhaps technically accurate, but a tough ruling, as most people refer to them as blimps.

A blimp is a non-rigid airship, basically, a bag of gas without any internal structure, while a Zeppelin is a rigid airship, with an internal structure giving it shape. They are both types of airship, but are not the same thing.

• Love 5

Admittedly I am old but FJ was such an instaget for me to the point where I was embarrassed that 3 members of my gender missed it. But now I am stuck with the song caught in my head for the night. At least it's not Back in Black or Jack & Diane.

• Love 6

Instaget FJ here.  I loved that song. Okay, I still do:)  I'm not familiar with Back in Black but how is Jack and Diane an "anthematic" song?

TS's I got were Tattoo and Submarine.  Also got the missed DD of Daredevil.

It was a good game.  I wasn't overly impressed one way or the other with any of the contestants so I'm okay with the one who did win.

• Love 1

I swear she said, "blimp" but the closed captioning said "balloon"  <shrug>

When I saw FJ, I started laughing because, y'know...a 3-woman panel - surely, they'll all get this one easy as pie.  Boy, was I wrong!  I got FJ, but totally blew the assumption of who else would.

I am favoring the champ, however, as I, too, live in Decatur, GA.

• Love 2

I would have been happy with either Terese or Natasha wnning. Congrats to Natasha. Rachel was starting to annoy me for some reason, so I'm glad she lost. Probably because of the "Let It Be" answer.

I got tattoo, submarine, Brad Pitt and Yesterday.

Can someone explain the collage answer in the art category? I, too, answered decoupage.

I thought of "I Am Woman" for FJ, but I always thought Helen Reddy was Canadian. And that wasn't before my time since I graduated high school in 1972.

Oh, hell, I just realized Anne Murray is the Canadian singer. *face palm*

• Love 8
(edited)

Can someone explain the collage answer in the art category? I, too, answered decoupage.

Collage is for gluing  "to glue" is coller

Decoupage is for cutting out

Since when is John Mellencamp Australian and Trebek never heard Back in Black? 

Edited by DrScottie
  • Love 3

I guess they were all too young to know the Rose Tattoo, but I was surprised they didn't get Brad Pitt.  I was glad to see Rachel go.  Not sure what it was about her I didn't like.  For FJ, the only thing I could come up with was something by Olivia Newton John.  No idea of a title, though.  I never knew Helen Reddy was Australian.

• Love 2

Add me to the list of people who thought Helen Reddy was Canadian. According to the Wikipedia article on her, she won an Australian talent contest where the prize was a trip to New York and a chance to audition for Mercury Records. She elected to stay in America but had no work permit, so she moved to Canada, which didn't require one.

• Love 1

I don't think I knew Helen Reddy was Australian.  I was clueless on FJ, but y'know, I was eight in 1972, and still listening to kiddie albums.

I have, however, heard of "Back in Black" and I think Alex needs to broaden his horizons, musically speaking.

I was born in late 1972 and got FJ before Alex finished reading the clue. The key to the clue was "anthemic." I couldn't think of another song that was anthemic from that time period.

My mother watched with me and was surprised I knew it. I guess people really do think you can't know things that happened before you were born. That's strange to me.

I'm glad to have a new champ. I don't know why, but I wasn't a fan of the last one. She seemed perfectly pleasant, but I just didn't like her. I thought maybe her stories were boring because she hasn't done much, but yesterday she mentioned how frequently she travels. Surely she could have come up with something more interesting than people asking her for directions.

(And don't call me Shirley.)

• Love 5

The entire time Rachel was on I spent trying to figure out who she reminded me of, and I could never quite put my finger on it. It was distracting. The new champ is from my neck of the woods, but doesn't sound like anyone from here. Got FJ immediately, and wondered if it wasn't held in readiness for when there were three female contestants. Who proceeded not to know it.

• Love 4
(edited)

I've heard of him, and knew who they were going for, but couldn't come up with his name.

My husband and I were in Victoria on the final leg of what we though (during this game) was Terry Fox's run across Canada. We watched a head bob through a crowd of onlookers as we walked to our hotel. But the date 1981 stymied us, as we were there in 1985. Turns out, the person we actually saw was Steve Fonyo, who also lost a leg to cancer and ran across Canada.

Instaget FJ here.  I loved that song. Okay, I still do:)  I'm not familiar with Back in Black but how is Jack and Diane an "anthematic" song?

Back in Black was A/C - so that actually fit "Australian" - but Jack and Diane? That was in 1982, and certainly not anthemic. Not to mention Mellancamp is from the heartland of America, just like Jack and Diane. I was stuck on Don McClean (American Pie) -which fit "anthemic", and the timeline, but I didn't think he was Australian.

I thought of "I Am Woman" for FJ, but I always thought Helen Reddy was Canadian. And that wasn't before my time since I graduated high school in 1972.

Oh, hell, I just realized Anne Murray is the Canadian singer. *face palm*

Me too! Sharing *face palm*

Edited by clanstarling
  • Love 3

Minor correction -- Back in Black was by AC/DC.

And while they are Australian the band didn't form until 1973.

OOPS. That's what I meant, but my fingers didn't do the trick - hadn't finished my coffee yet, I guess.  I had no idea when they formed (thank you, that's good information to keep on hand) just giving credit for meeting one part of the clue - whereas Jack and Diane didn't meet any part of it.

• Love 3
(edited)

I always knew Helen Reddy was Australian but didn't know she had American citizenship too.  I never knew she lived in Canada.  I always knew Anne Murray was Canadian.

Oddly enough, I just found an article by Mindy Kaling in which she calls Jack and Diane "anthematic" for teenagers in 1982 - so I guess it did meet at least one of the qualifications.  I am familiar with the song but I usually think of the joke when I hear Jack and Diane.

They should have used this FJ this coming Tuesday which is International Women's Day.

Edited by Trey
  • Love 2

I guessed Vermont but I could not remember the name of the capital city! I'm going to brush up on those today! My mind first went to Alaska, but then I figured it had to be one of the 13 colonies with 1780 being right around 1776. I figured Vermont was very pristine and would not want a Mickey D.

First time I've cut and pasted a quote!  I live in the great state of Vermont, and trust me, there are *lots* of McDonald's here!  However, Montpelier is tiny and does not have one in the city limits.  You only have to go a few miles to the next city over, hardscrabble Barre, to get your Big Macs.  Montpelier does have (or did, I haven't been in a few years) a Dunkin Donuts on State Street.  Back to topic: this was an instaget for me!

• Love 2

Oddly enough, I just found an article by Mindy Kaling in which she calls Jack and Diane "anthematic" for teenagers in 1982 - so I guess it did meet at least one of the qualifications. 

Kaling might have said that as part of a joke/comedy bit, but she was born in 1979 so she wasn't a teenager when the song debuted.  Anyway, the contestant who answered Jack and Diane was obviously reaching for straws.

• Love 2
(edited)

Kaling might have said that as part of a joke/comedy bit, but she was born in 1979 so she wasn't a teenager when the song debuted.  Anyway, the contestant who answered Jack and Diane was obviously reaching for straws.

Here's a link to the article.  I don't think she meant it as a joke.

http://www.rd.com/advice/parenting/mindy-kaling-teen-advice/

I do agree that the contestant was reaching, probably just happy to have come up with a song, any song.

Edited by Trey
  • Love 1

I do agree that the contestant was reaching, probably just happy to have come up with a song, any song.

SNL celebrity FJ--  Name a song. Any song.

• Love 5

I was seven and listening to both Donny Osmond (yeah, I know) and hard rock (my brother is 5 years older than me), but although I came up with I Am Woman, I thought the singer was Canadian.  Actually, I thought it was Anne Murray, who is Canadian.  Double "D'oh!" on that one.

• Love 2
(edited)

Oddly enough, I just found an article by Mindy Kaling in which she calls Jack and Diane "anthematic" for teenagers in 1982 - so I guess it did meet at least one of the qualifications.

I was a teenager in 1982, and no one I knew would've considered it anthemic, but hey, tastes vary.  Now Back in Black . . .  (Yeah, I had friends who were metal heads.)

Edited by proserpina65
  • Love 4

Natasha's constant "um's" drive me completely bonkers and Brent's uber confident wrong outburst of "Lonesome Dove!" when "Lonesome Dove" was IN THE CLUE AND IT ASKED FOR THE AUTHOR did not endear him to me so that was a bummer.

I said Fighting Irish too because it couldn't be anything other than related to Notre Dame but can't figure out how the clue would drive me to the Horsemen.

• Love 7

What with his punching the buzzer like it's his mortal enemy, board jumping and overall obnoxious demeanor, I can't stand the new champ. I hope he's a one and done.

I got garment workers, Prince, brink and hovel.

I was totally clueless on FJ.

• Love 8

Alex said "rhymestone."  I played it back three times, because I couldn't imagine he'd say something that dumb, but he did.  I started to write a poem about it, and then I realized that would be even dumber than saying "rhymestone."  But I would like to know where he thinks the river Rhyme flows.  Through Limerick?

• Love 4

I also heard "rhymestone" :S

I got hovel as a TS, but I had no idea for FJ. I also would have be $0 since I know nothing about sports.

The new champ's whole body vibrated as he was trying to press the buzzer. Must be tiring.

• Love 2
(edited)

I said Fighting Irish too because it couldn't be anything other than related to Notre Dame but can't figure out how the clue would drive me to the Horsemen.

I think you had to know that the Four Horsemen was the famous Notre Dame lineup when Knute Rockne was the coach.  I don't follow football, so I'm not sure why I know that - maybe I heard my dad talk about it.  He is absolutely the reason I knew who Connie Mack was; he was a fan of the Philadelphia Athletics in his youth and would have haunted me for the rest of my life if I'd answered that one wrong.

Edited by proserpina65
  • Love 4

Brent's uber confident wrong outburst of "Lonesome Dove!" when "Lonesome Dove" was IN THE CLUE AND IT ASKED FOR THE AUTHOR did not endear him to me so that was a bummer.

I think I know what threw him off. The clue was "In this author's 'Lonesome Dove', a motley assortment of heroes, outlaws & more live & die in the title Texas town." When Alex read it, he emphasized the word title. "... in the TITLE Texas town." Yes, the title itself was in the clue, but I can see getting distracted and redirected by Alex's emphasis on that word.

• Love 3

I was hoping Eric would win, but the show never lets me have nice things. Had no clue as to FJ, but got several TS's correct, including Prince and hovel. I think I actually had a sign at one time that said "Home Sweet Hovel'.

• Love 2

I got hovel and said clothing workers instead of garment workers, wonder if they would have given it to me.

FJ may as well have been written in Greek.

• Love 2