Type keyword(s) to search

Jeopardy! Season 32 (2015-2016)

Athena
  • Start Topic

That was a pretty good game. 

The only TS I remember getting is The Lady of Shalot.  I liked the Women in Poetry category.

I had pre-called Stone of Scone for FJ so it was just a short step to Rosetta Stone. 

• Love 1

I missed yesterday's game. Doesn't sound like I missed a lot.

I really like Chris, too.

I got Susan Boyle, yard, Sir Thomas More (watched A Man for All Seasons last week) and Sir Walter Raleigh.

I answered FJ before Alex finished reading the clue.

• Love 2

I missed yesterday's game. Doesn't sound like I missed a lot.

I really like Chris, too.

I got Susan Boyle, yard, Sir Thomas More (watched A Man for All Seasons last week) and Sir Walter Raleigh.

I answered FJ before Alex finished reading the clue.

I didn't know yard, but I did guess the rest along with the Lady of Shalott (though I would have pronounced her name like the onion and not Sha-lott).

For some reason I had a hunch when the FJ category was revealed that it would be about the Rosetta Stone.

• Love 1

I was only half paying attention during FJ, and the first thing that popped into my head was the Enigma Machine (figuring that the Brits had gotten hold of one after the war).  Then I saw the earlier date and did a quick course correction in time to get the right answer.  Note to self:  If I'm ever on Jeopardy! for real, don't just speed past the dates and don't decide on an answer and then try to make the clue fit it.

• Love 4

What were the two words in the similar-sounding category? Aviary and aviary?

Aviary and apiary. Chris guessed that the bee-related part of the clue referred to "hive," and couldn't think of something that sounded like it that would apply to birds.

I didn't know that "Einstein" means one stone.

Neither did I! But looking at it now it's so obvious I wonder how I never caught it before :-) 

I got "yard", which was a surprise since I never hear people talk about yards (or yardsticks) outside of football anymore.

I was only half paying attention during FJ, and the first thing that popped into my head was the Enigma Machine (figuring that the Brits had gotten hold of one after the war).  Then I saw the earlier date and did a quick course correction in time to get the right answer.

Same reaction here!

I had wondered if Chris worked for the Mouse when he was introduced as a bus driver from Orlando.  Glad he confirmed that today.

I too was only half paying attention during FJ, so I hadn't seen the category, but just the part of the clue about being displayed in the British Museum since 1802 was enough for me.  When I went to London a few years ago, the Rosetta Stone was the thing I most wanted to see at the British Museum.  

• Love 3

Aviary and apiary. Chris guessed that the bee-related part of the clue referred to "hive," and couldn't think of something that sounded like it that would apply to birds.

Before Alex gave the answer, I was saying aviary and apiary, but it sounded like Alex said aviary and aviary. Maybe I need my hearing checked.

• Love 1
the Rosetta Stone was the thing I most wanted to see at the British Museum.
Me, too! Seeing the Rosetta Stone in person is one of the few strong memories I have from a whirlwind tour of Europe when I was in high school. 
  • Love 3

Neither did I! But looking at it now it's so obvious I wonder how I never caught it before :-) 

'Cause you're no Einstein?  (Sorry; couldn't resist)

The closed-eyes woman reminded me of Gilbert Gottfried.  ...and Eddie from "The Courtship of Eddie's Father," who said never to trust a lady with skinny eyes.

• Love 2

I didn't know that "Einstein" means one stone.

What were the two words in the similar-sounding category? Aviary and aviary?

They rarely ask about German words since it doesn't give Alex a chance to show off his French!
  • Love 4

I have a gripe about a clue from Monday's game. J-archive isn't updated yet so hopefully I remember it correctly. This was in the geography from space category. The clue about the Yucatan Peninsula referred to descendants of the Ancient Maya. That's one of my pet peeves. Yes, contemporary Maya have different cultural norms than Ancient Maya, but they exist as more than just "descendants" and should be called Maya as well.

• Love 1

Good game today!  (At least toward the end.  I started watching halfway through DJ).  Tim playing like a pro, but Chris outpacing him with those two monster Daily Double bets.  I got FJ right away, but I guess it wasn't that easy as two good contestants missed it.

Big payday, which always makes Alex happy.

• Love 2

Arrrrrgh...I couldn't decide between DeNiro or Pacino, both of which were incorrect.  Oh well...

Sorry to see Chris go, and so was he by his disappointed look.  Loved his DD wagers, tho.

• Love 4

The winner was Tim with over $46K.

ETA:  mojoween, You missed Chris' two gutsy DD wagers at $10K each, both of which he got correct.  Good game!

Edited by Tunia
  • Love 3

That was the best game since the ToC.

I first thought of Gene Hackman for FJ, except he wasn't in either of those movies.  Then I thought of a long-standing joke we have around this house.  Whenever there's an actor giving a great performance and my husband doesn't recognize him, it's Robert Duvall.  So I always say, "If you don't know who it is, then who must it be?"  If I start not recognizing Robert Duvall, we're both in trouble.

• Love 8

I loved the Freedom Trail category - it brought back some many wonderful childhood memories of dragging my mom and late father around it during visits to his family in Boston. Loved Chris' gutsy wagers on DDs (not sure I would get either - science is my weak link). FJ was easy for me but if you don't know it, not sure the clue would give it to you. New guy played well but I will miss Chris.

• Love 3

Wow! Great enjoyable game. Chris' DD wagers gave me a heart attack. Sorry to see him go, but Tim seems like a good guy and is smart. Katie's constant giggling, which you could hear over the other contestants, drove me nuts! I'm so glad she lost.

The only TS I got was Jack Be Nimble.

I had to think a moment but got FJ pretty easily.

• Love 3

very nice game,I liked all of the contestants.  They all seemed pleasant and knowledgeable.  I can't believe the variation in FJs  - yesterday's was ridiculously easy (rosetta stone, which really, everyone should know), but today's really needed some good movie knowledge. 

I got Robert Duvall right away, then I was trying to think what other movies of his would be on the AFI list. I could only think of To Kill A Mockingbird. I didn't remember him being in either MASH or Network.

Really enjoyable game. I liked all three contestants. They were all smart. I think the woman was the only one who gave any wrong answers, two I think, not counting FJ. Oh, maybe one of the guys gave a wrong nursery character answer.

• Love 2

I liked Chris well enough, but was glad that Tim won. He played a really good game, and seemed to have a wealth of knowledge. Chris managed to find the DDs and bet substantially on what turned out to be very easy DDs for the DJ round. They all had interesting interviews. I didn't get FJ., but I can never recall Robert Duvall. It's almost a mental block.

• Love 3

This longtime viewer wants to know if he's the only one thinking that the show is purposely making the DDs much easier than those of previous seasons.  It seems that the contestants lately are wagering much more on DD to ensure a huge lead going into Final Jeopardy, and the show is responding to this trend to reward the gamblers with huge returns.  While the champ is certainly a good player, his landing on 2 DDs in Double Jeopardy was really a matter of luck, and the answers were almost gimme's.

• Love 1

I got Robert Duvall right away, then I was trying to think what other movies of his would be on the AFI list. I could only think of To Kill A Mockingbird. I didn't remember him being in either MASH or Network.

Really enjoyable game. I liked all three contestants. They were all smart. I think the woman was the only one who gave any wrong answers, two I think, not counting FJ. Oh, maybe one of the guys gave a wrong nursery character answer.

Robert Duvall was the original Frank Burns. His part was relatively small; he went off his head and was taken away in a straitjacket fairly early in the movie.

Here's a clip of him in Network. It's not my favorite performance of his, though; he's not usually this shouty: 

I agree--excellent game. I quite like the new champ, though I'm sad that Chris's DD wager's didn't pay off in the end.

• Love 1

I missed the "living" part too and guessed Brando.

Now those were some high-stakes Daily Doubles.

I also missed 'living' in the clue and said Brando at first but then changed to Robert Duvall with time to spare.  Not because I noticed the 'living' but because I thought of more movies with him which could be on the list.  Only to remember that one of those actually starred Gene Hackman.  Oh well.

• Love 5

The Conversation is the kind of film that makes hard-core movie buff lists of greatest films, but I think it's too esoteric for the AFI list.

Duvall's films on the AFI list were The Godfather, The Godfather Part II, Apocalypse Now, M*A*S*H, Network, and To Kill a Mockingbird.

Of course, you can argue about these lists forever, and what should be on them.  Duvall had a long career with many great and not-so-great films.

• Love 3

I just saw Network too. I didn't even think of Robert Duvall. I guessed DeNiro and was trying to think of Al Pacino but drew such a blank. I hate when that happens- you know what you are trying to think of but it will not come to your mind. I would be awful on this show!

Confession: I pause my TV at Final Jeopardy to give myself time to come up with the answer, lol.

• Love 3

I am bummed that I missed last night's game!  Seems like it was a good one.  J-archive isn't updated yet -- what was FJ?

Final Jeopardy! category: THE AFI’S 100 YEARS…100 MOVIES

Final Jeopardy! clue: This man who was in “The Godfather” & “Apocalypse Now” is the only living actor in 6 or more films on the list

Thejeopardyfan.com is often quicker to post updates than J-archive.

• Love 2

So frustrated on FJ, I could see Duvall's face in my head but couldn't come up with his name. I hate when that happens! My answer would have been 'That guy! I can see his face, you know, that guy!', which I don't think would have been accepted.

• Love 3

Thursday:

Man, that was a hard Final Jeopardy.

Can anyone explain if it's possible to deduce the answer from EDGAR CUTHWELLIS and EDGAR U.C. WESTHILL?  Or is it just something you have to know?

• Love 4