Type keyword(s) to search

Jeopardy! Season 32 (2015-2016)

Athena
  • Start Topic

This was my first episode in some time, and I enjoyed it.  Jill played a great game and had fun doing it, so I was happy to see her win.  She seemed to have a pretty good range of knowledge, so we’ll see how she does going forward.

The decades of dance category was easy, but kind of fun.

The male contestant not knowing hydroponics surprised me.

I got FJ, but as a total guess.

• Love 1

I got Guinevere (thanks, Mists of Avalon), but I wasn't sure it was right until Alex said so, because the category name was so misleading.  If they'd called it "Women of Legend," there wouldn't have been any doubt as to what kind of answer was wanted.  But it's so customary to describe someone at the top of his/her field as "legendary songstress Aretha Franklin" or "legendary hitter Ted Williams" that they left a lot of uncertainty room by naming it the way they did--real person or not.

I didn't notice whatsisname, the outgoing champ, being as gracious to whatsername, the incoming champ, as Tim was to him yesterday.  Which is too bad.  That was nice to see.  Hope we get to see Tim again.

ETA:  Sorry, replied before reading other responses, or I would've been less windy about "legendary."  Maybe.

Edited by Mondrianyone
  • Love 5

I'm pretty good with animal clues, but echidna was new to me.

I've heard of echidna but didn't get it when clue was given, but I did get platypus.  Thank you for that link, it's very interesting.

Re the sugar clue, if the cane isn't the same as the stalk, what is it?

• Love 6

My initial reaction upon seeing FJ was "Keepcalmcarry- oh wait, that's only four words" and then it took me another ten seconds to remember that it's "keep calm AND carry on".

I knew this, but all I could access at the time were all the different versions, not the original.

Minor quibble on "Keep Calm" -  shouldn't it be "stay calm"?

In this context, "keep" means the same thing as "stay" (I had to look it up to be sure, though.)
  • Love 1

Another instaget FJ for me.  It was the first and only thing to come to my mind.

I'm glad the guy won, although I would have been just as happy if the middle girl had won.  I was already over yesterday's champ.

• Love 4

Jill, you're not as cute as you think you are. Thank God she's gone.

I really liked both Chris and Rebecca. Congrats to Chris on his win.

I got benediction and The Life of Pi (both missed DD's) and orchid.

I finally guessed Majorca but don't think I would have had time to write it down.

• Love 5

Jill spelled it Majorca and Alex told her it was spelled wrong - as far as I can tell Majorca and Mallorca are equally acceptable.

I came up with Malta: I was heading in the right direction, knowing Latin for greater would start with Ma but hit the wrong island.

• Love 5

Jill spelled it Majorca and Alex told her it was spelled wrong - as far as I can tell Majorca and Mallorca are equally acceptable.

I came up with Malta: I was heading in the right direction, knowing Latin for greater would start with Ma but hit the wrong island.

Yes - both spellings are correct. Do the judges know how to use Google?

• Love 7

I've never seen Majorca spelled as Mallorca, so I couldn't figure out why Alex said she spelled it wrong :S

I also guessed Malta.

There were a few TS that surprised me, but I can't remember them atm.

• Love 2

Do the judges know how to use Google?

No.  Because I also got around to Googling cane/stalk in relation to burn-off sugar harvesting, and they're obviously two different names for the same thing.  Took about two minutes to find that out.

I wonder how much a J! judge makes.  I suspect more than they're worth.

I was glad to see Chris win.

• Love 5

No.  Because I also got around to Googling cane/stalk in relation to burn-off sugar harvesting, and they're obviously two different names for the same thing.  Took about two minutes to find that out.

I wonder how much a J! judge makes.  I suspect more than they're worth.

I was glad to see Chris win.

Wikipedia isn't always the most reliable source, though. I'm guessing the judges have specific source guidelines. Or maybe they just found the champ annoying?

I guessed "life of Pi" from having seen an ad for the film with a tiger in it.

• Love 1

Aw, no one knew Mansfield Park.

I know! Poor Fanny, always neglected.

I could've gone either way on Jill had she hung around for a while, but at this point she was still on my good side. She had an impressive breadth of knowledge and was a strong pace-setter. By the end of the game, I would've been happy with any of them winning; Rebecca and Chris were both really good.

And add me to the Majorca pile-on. There was no need at all to be so snide to Jill. I didn't know until googling that Mallorca is the traditional Spanish spelling, and I'm happy to learn that, but since Majorca is equally appropriate and (more) widely recognized, Alex and his hypercriticism can kiss my foot.

• Love 3

Wikipedia isn't always the most reliable source, though.

Then I guess it's a good thing I didn't use Wikipedia as a source! 

Not that it didn't come up, but it was more interesting to read about the harvest at sugar-industry and environmental sites.  I think I actually learn more the sketchier the judging is, because that's when I look things up.  It turns out that burning sugarcane is a pollution issue in South Florida, among other places, where my family lives--and this is the first I've ever heard about it. 

Oh, Jeopardy!, this is why I can't quit you.  Even when you annoy me, you still give me a little something every day.  ;o)

• Love 6

For Final Jeopardy I guessed Boudicca, not having interpreted the category to exclude real women who became heavily mythologized.

I guessed Boudicca too, but then I figured the clue DID exclude real women and had nothing at all.

I got from the clue to "major" (via Ursa Major), but somehow couldn't get from "major" to "Majorca/Mallorca," no matter how you spell it. 

Edited by rereader2
  • Love 3

Jill had irked me on her first day when the baseball pitchers category revealed her as a Yankees fan (probably since I had just been so happy to see a Justin Verlander clue - Go Tigers!) but she really got on my nerves last night since I could hear her vocal reactions to her own answers and those of the other players.  All I could keep thinking was "honey, it is okay to have an unexpressed thought".  She did have a great depth of knowledge and was a fierce player but I was happy to see her go - that may make me a bad person, but I can live with that for today.  :-)

• Love 6

Jill had irked me on her first day when the baseball pitchers category revealed her as a Yankees fan (probably since I had just been so happy to see a Justin Verlander clue - Go Tigers!) but she really got on my nerves last night since I could hear her vocal reactions to her own answers and those of the other players.  All I could keep thinking was "honey, it is okay to have an unexpressed thought".  She did have a great depth of knowledge and was a fierce player but I was happy to see her go - that may make me a bad person, but I can live with that for today.  :-)

I didn't even notice any of that, not on either day.  Maybe my volume was turned down too low?

I got orchid but not benediction or Life of Pi.  I don't really think of Life of Pi as a recent bestseller and I've never read it, so I said Zoo instead.  I answered Sicily for FJ, and then said "Of course" aloud when the correct answer was revealed.  But even knowing that Mallorca is the Spanish spelling, I wasn't sure what was wrong with Jill's spelling until Chris' answer was revealed.  And I agree, Majorca is an acceptable alternate English spelling.

I was rooting for Chris because I have a deep and abiding affection for things Naval.

Edited by proserpina65
  • Love 2

I didn't get that Jill was a Yankees fan, I thought the tittering was because she's from Massachusetts. Shows what happens when I listen more than watch!

I didn't watch last night because I was watching a basketball game but I am not sorry there is a new champ.

• Love 1

I wouldn't say Life of Pi was a "recent" bestseller, either (although I really liked both the book and movie) -- the book was published in 2001!  When I think "recent", I usually think within the last year at most.

• Love 4

I also guessed Malta and I was so sure I was right, lol. It could be from the Latin with the Ma beginning. And 1400 sq miles sounded about right.  But it's only 120 square miles! Just a tad off! 

I watched "The Little Couple" the other night and they showed the Dr. (a little person) taping the Jeopardy segment. Wow, it was a huge production! They had people in the background acting out the clue while she read it. There looked A LOT of work went into the 5 questions. Too bad the questions writers didn't put as much work in because I remember most of them were really easy and kind of stupid.

• Love 6

That was a pretty good game.

I ran the Elvis movie category - I knew I would:)  Almost the three i's category too but missed the $400 clue.

For FJ I thought of Pomp and Circumstance but dismissed because I thought it was written by an American (I didn't know who, just an American) so I came up with Rule Britannia.  Then I felt very stupid.

So annoying.

Too self aware and has annoying mannerisms.

• Love 3

Sorry to see Chris go. Thank you for your service, sir.

There's something odd and off-putting about the new champ. For some reason, his answer of "Tom Jefferson" really annoyed me.

What the heck were he and the other guy, Bill, looking at to their left? Stop looking around! It was very distracting.

I got coyote. Here's a hint, prairie dogs aren't canines just like fruit bats aren't found in the produce department.

FJ was an instaget, probably because I was in the high school orchestra and had to play it about eleventy billion times when the upper classmen graduated.

• Love 5

I got coyote. Here's a hint, prairie dogs aren't canines just like fruit bats aren't found in the produce department.

Prairie dogs are the first thing I think of when someone says South Dakota.  I know they're not canines (and I knew that wasn't the answer) but sometimes you just can't help what comes out of your mouth.

Edited by SierraMist
  • Love 4

"Pomp and Circumstance" -- when I was in high school in some previous century, someone had put words to it, starting with "My reindeer flies sideways, your reindeer does not." We sang that at rehearsal for graduation, but we were told not to at the actual graduation. Has anyone else heard these lyrics?

• Love 1

For FJ I thought of Pomp and Circumstance but dismissed because I thought it was written by an American (I didn't know who, just an American) so I came up with Rule Britannia.  Then I felt very stupid.

I too went thru the same thought process about P & C, then I just said out loud, "I don't know." If I was playing I might have just written Pomp & Circumstance so I'd have something there, but I might have thought I would be ridiculed by Alex. "No. Wrong. BRITISH composer."

LOL, Driad...Someone has!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wc8L1ytMXLg

Oh great. Now that's stuck in my head. ;)

There's something odd and off-putting about the new champ. For some reason, his answer of "Tom Jefferson" really annoyed me.

I didn't find him annoying, but I did think "Tom Jefferson" was an odd response.

What the heck were he and the other guy, Bill, looking at to their left? Stop looking around! It was very distracting.

I kept wondering that too. Maybe there was a distracting person in the audience? Also, Bill was bugging me by speaking some answers so quickly. I couldn't understand him at times.

• Love 2

I didn't find him annoying, but I did think "Tom Jefferson" was an odd response.

I found him annoying, but as far as I could tell, there was no earthly reason for me to do so. Must be buried deep in my subconscious. That being said, given that he writes historical fiction, his informal phrasing of Jefferson's name may just be because he's spent a lot of time with Jefferson in his research and refers to him that way because of familiarity and fondness. So that didn't bother me too much, despite my general annoyance.

Maybe because the Mister does a lot of reading about our founding fathers, and we tend to refer to Jefferson as Tommy.

Edited by clanstarling

"Pomp and Circumstance" -- when I was in high school in some previous century, someone had put words to it, starting with "My reindeer flies sideways, your reindeer does not." We sang that at rehearsal for graduation, but we were told not to at the actual graduation. Has anyone else heard these lyrics?

I wrote my own lyrics to the music, which I sing at all graduations much to the delight of my children (and annoyance to my mother) ..it goes "you are such a moooor--ron, how did you ever get out? You're such a bloody moron, how did you ever get out?" I enjoy it quite a lot. I did get the Final Jeopardy correct because it is the only ceremonial march I know of. Second time in one week a wild guess was right (King Lear and Pomp and Circumstance (AKA You are such a moron)

• Love 1

I said Peru, knew it wasn't right but I couldn't think of Bolivia in time. So I was impressed that 2 of them got it. I was sad that Nathan Detroit was a TS. I did like that AT quoted the song correctly however. Give me a musical theater category and I could run it every day of the week and twice on Sunday.

• Love 4
(edited)

Loved both guys! Hope the champ can linger at least a couple days more. He overcame a good buzzer-worker tonight! More easy, breezy answers, tho not FJ, imo!

Hmmm--same post twice in a post that didn't post the first time. Gotta love computers!

Edited by just prin
  • Love 1

I said Venezuela for no good reason.

I was rooting for Brigid for NY solidarity. I liked Tyler too because I root for Tyler's by default because of my kid, but we all wondered if he styled his hair that way on purpose.

• Love 2