Type keyword(s) to search

Jeopardy! Season 32 (2015-2016)

Athena
  • Start Topic

Strange or frightening = queer?!

I said the Grand Canyon immediately upon seeing the clue, then debated whether it could be Niagara Falls, but decided no because the Canadian Falls are much more impressive than the American Falls, and the category was US Natural Wonders. I'm surprised none of them came up with either of those as guesses, though.

I liked Carissa, I was hoping she would win, but she flamed out in DJ.

• Love 2

The Grand Canyon was the first thing that entered my mind.

I'm not sad in the least that Miss "Hunnerd" lost.  It grated to hear her pronounce hundred that way.

And I still don't like it when contestants start in the middle of the categories.

• Love 4

I'm glad Emily won. At first I was going to root for Carissa (impressed she got into West Point) but then she said "hunnerd" and started all of her sentences will "so" in her interview. So, no, just no.

I got all of the TS, which I stopped writing down as there were so many, and I'm no genius. Disappointing game.

FJ was an instaget. I'm surprised none of them got that.

• Love 4

I was also surprised that none of them guessed Grand Canyon.  I thought it was pretty much #1 of US Natural Wonders.  An instaget for me, anyhow.

I thought Carissa sounded exactly like Sara Gilbert in her Leslie Winkle character (TBBT).

I can't say it was an impressive game but I enjoyed it.

Edited by Trey
  • Love 2

I was hoping Adam would win. He seemed like a good kid, not that the other two necessarily didn't, he just somehow stood out to me.

Kudos to Carissa for choosing and sticking with African-American History early in the game. It's often avoided. But thinking Booker T Washington was W.E.B. DuBois? Ouch. 

Emily made a lot of silly guesses. I hope that doesn't hurt her in the semis.

ETA: I totally spaced on the Grand Canyon and guessed Niagara Falls. I could kick myself because I did find it absolutely breathtaking.

Edited by YoureSoUrban

I'm glad others were irked by Carissa's "hunnert." I wondered if it was a Midwestern thing or a military thing. My first thought was that she was a relative of Laura of "hundrreeeed" fame. I'm sad she blew such a big lead, though. 

I also felt bad for Adam missing the "Lysistrata" question.

And at the risk of being redundant...how could the Grand Canyon have been a TS?

Emily made a lot of silly guesses. I hope that doesn't hurt her in the semis.

I thought all three made some silly guesses. There was a moment when I wondered if the game would end with three scores of zero!

• Love 1

I'm glad Emily won. At first I was going to root for Carissa (impressed she got into West Point) but then she said "hunnerd" and started all of her sentences will "so" in her interview. So, no, just no.

Hunnerd annoyed me a bit, but that "So..." just irks me to no end.  I root against anyone who does that.  Being a fan of Mr. Jefferson, I was, of course, rooting for the guy from UVA.  Columbia lady's good, too, but Jefferson didn't found *that* school.  I have my priorities!

• Love 1

Hey! A category with all women authors that wasn't labeled Women Authors!

It wasn't all women. One of the clues was about The Moonstone by Wilkie Collins.

They interrupted final jeopardy for an Iowa update! Annoying!

Edited by biakbiak
  • Love 2

I'm really glad Carissa didn't win. She grated on me with her pronunciation and saying the entire category every time. 

Like many of you, the first thing I thought of for FJ was the Grand Canyon, and then wondering if that was way too obvious.  Hard to believe none of them guessed it.

• Love 3

Feeling loyalty to my alma mater (which Thomas Jefferson actually attended), I couldn't bear to root for UVa dude but I did feel for him when he missed the UVa centered question. There were silly guesses all around but could I have done as well at their ages, probably not a chance. Although I do think I could have gotten the Grand Canyon even though I aassociate Teddy with more northern areas.

• Love 3

So I guess everyone came up with Grand Canyon except for the contestants? (I was hoping someone would offer Mt. Rushmore!) I like the college tournaments, as i tend to do well and it makes me feel smart. An added plus was that there was not a category that required knowing names and/or locations of universities this time around.

• Love 2

So I guess everyone came up with Grand Canyon except for the contestants? (I was hoping someone would offer Mt. Rushmore!) I like the college tournaments, as i tend to do well and it makes me feel smart. An added plus was that there was not a category that required knowing names and/or locations of universities this time around.

I thought the category specified natural wonders, which Mount Rushmore isn't. I like the college tournaments, too, but the music and other pop culture categories make me feel old!

I'm sure there will be a "Colleges and Universities" category before the tournament is over.

• Love 1

I think it was the inclusion of Teddy Roosevelt in the clue that threw the contestants off. It seems to me that there was a big fuss recently over the National Park Service generally and Yosemite in particular and Roosevelt's connection to them. My mind went to Yosemite first before settling on the Grand Canyon because of that.

• Love 1

Although I do think I could have gotten the Grand Canyon even though I aassociate Teddy with more northern areas.

I do too, especially with the area that is now Yellowstone National Park, but since I thought there were no national parks in his time (there were, but I didn't know that), I went for the obvious single natural wonder.

Edited by proserpina65
  • Love 2

I was watching something on tape and missed the beginning of last night's show.  Upon checking J! Archive, I discovered that I would've gotten all of the pop music category except the $1000 clue - have no idea what a Wiz Khalifa is - and would've known Princess Diana and Will Ferrell but not Willam Jennings Bryan.  Although I wouldn't have answered JFK for the Sheer Will category.

• Love 1

Because of the Iowa Caucus interruption, I missed what FJ was.

I never noticed how Carissa pronounces 'hundred,' but that tends not to annoy me. More and more I notice people (not just on Jeopardy) answering questions by starting with "So..." but I read something about this speech trend, so it doesn't bother me so much either.

I DVRed the show last night, after checking that it hadn't been pre-empted by any Iowa coverage. As I watched this morning, I found out that the network did cut in to announce results...right over Alex reading the FJ clue. Oh well, off to the archive to see what I missed.

Edited to add: Heh, just saw the post above mine. Guess I wasn't the only one. Are we in the same market (KABC)?

Edited by Scott
  • Love 1

have no idea what a Wiz Khalifa is

He was actually just in the news - he and Kanye had a twitter feud.

Was last night the first time someone from West Point was in the college tournament?  I don't ever remember that happening but they probably would have mentioned it if it was the first time.

• Love 1

Was last night the first time someone from West Point was in the college tournament?  I don't ever remember that happening but they probably would have mentioned it if it was the first time.

Damn, how did I miss that?  Oh, that's right, I don't give a crap about Kanye.  :-)

I'd heard the song in question, and I have heard OF Wiz Khalifa but only have a vague notion of who he is (my previous post was being facetious on that point), but didn't know he was the artist involved.  Probably because I hate the song and change the station whenever it comes on the radio.

• Love 2

have heard OF Wiz Khalifa but only have a vague notion of who he is (my previous post was being facetious on that point)

Hee.  Actually all I know about him is that he recently had that twitter feud (honestly, I couldn't seem to escape people talking about it).  And, he was a question on Jeopardy last night.

• Love 1

If Teddy had given it more thought, he *would* have said Niagara Falls, because every North American should see therm. And the gloriously tacky wax museums and hotels with "love tubs."

• Love 2

Edited to add: Heh, just saw the post above mine. Guess I wasn't the only one. Are we in the same market (KABC)?

Eyup.

Oh that's right! Wiz Khalifa had cool pants apparently. :D

Yeah, about that Let's "Go" category where AT indicated that all the answers end in go -- bongos does not end in "go", it ends in "gos" because you never have just one bongo, ginkgo beloba does not end in "go" either.

These college students didn't know the Olympic motto.  Really ?

• Love 1

I thought the whole game was really dumbed down.  I agree the FJ was laughable.

Still, the kids are engaging.  And today's group did quite a bit better than yesterday's.

Yeah, about that Let's "Go" category where AT indicated that all the answers end in go -- bongos does not end in "go", it ends in "gos" because you never have just one bongo, ginkgo beloba does not end in "go" either.

I didn't think he should have got credit for bongos since it was supposed to end in just "go".  As to the Ginkgo, I think that was all that was needed; Alex just through in biloba which I think made it wrong.

Edited by Trey
  • Love 2

All three contestants were pleasant.  I did get a kick out of the guy throwing his hands every time he picked a category.  I didn't find it annoying, just funny.  And yes, FJ was worth about $400.

• Love 3

I felt badly for the middle guy over Bosnia and Herzegovina. I always mispronounce it, since my first encounters with the pronunciation were all over the place, and I had to choose one. ( I never assume that foreign words are spoken as spelled.) Amateur was easy, but we've seen easier in the adult games, and it always comes down to wagering under those circumstances. I thought the last contestant's story about her violence class was odd. I think if I'd shared a class story from college it would have been World History. Our Professor was a U.N. diplomat who came out to the school to lecture one night a week. The second to last class was a trip to the U.N. where we got to hear him give a speech.

• Love 1

I thought the whole game was really dumbed down.  I agree the FJ was laughable.

Still, the kids are engaging.  And today's group did quite a bit better than yesterday's.

I didn't think he should have got credit for bongos since it was supposed to end in just "go".  As to the Ginkgo, I think that was all that was needed; Alex just through in biloba which I think made it wrong.

I'm guessing since the category name didn't specify that the answer must end in "go" and that "ends with go" was just AT's explanation, they didn't fuss about making the word plural or adding another word. Had "bongos" been ruled incorrect, that would have been "Kit Carson"-type nitpicking. (How often do we talk about "a bongo" anyway?)

As a Latin teacher, I'm happy everyone knew FJ, even if people here are complaining "too easy." 

Edited by GreekGeek
  • Love 4

I made it home in time just for FJ and amateur came to me so quickly I figured I was wrong.

I listen to the show much more than I watch because I'm often cleaning up from dinner, does everyone usually have such nice penmanship? All three of them wrote so neatly.

Oh one other question for those who have played...does your pen stop working when the music stops?

• Love 1

amateur came to me so quickly I figured I was wrong

Me too.  Especially since normally I am horrible at the category.

All three contestants  were great last night - the other two should have a good chance of making it to the next round. 

That is pretty freaky meeting Charles Manson.  (and freaky in a bad way)  But that is a great Jeopardy interview story.  

• Love 3

I thought it was "Bosnia-Herzegovina" so I expected the guy to be ruled incorrect on "Bosnia AND Herzegovina." I didn't hear him mispronounce it.

The CIA has it listed as "Bosnia and Herzegovina" https://www.cia.gov/library/publications/the-world-factbook/geos/bk.html

(As does Wikipedia)

I thought I heard him mispronounce it because it sounded kind of weird coming out of his mouth, but I couldn't have told you what about it was mispronounced - I thought maybe it was just a matter of which syllables were emphasized. I wasn't too surprised they came back and corrected it, although I don't recall hearing him say "Herzegovnia".

• Love 2

I remember almost nothing from my college Latin class, but "amo, amas, amat" stuck in my brain.

Once again I missed everything before the first commercial break, but checking the archive I see I would've only been hit or miss on the clues I didn't see.  The football category would've killed me - I know very little about college football.

• Love 2

Alex seemed to indicate that Emily didn't have to wager anything (lock game) but she wasn't that far ahead, was she?  She took a real chance there.  I was glad she was the one who won as she was apparently a reader...

Alex meant she didn't need to wager anything because she got the answer correct. She was going with the odds not bidding anything because it's a tournament and she was thinking that even if she lost her score of 17,000 plus would still get her into the next round.

• Love 4

These college students didn't know the Olympic motto.  Really ?

Alex meant she didn't need to wager anything because she got the answer correct. She was going with the odds not bidding anything because it's a tournament and she was thinking that even if she lost her score of 17,000 plus would still get her into the next round.

Oh yeah! Thanks for the reminder on the format -- I could not figure out why she didn't bet anything, because if the kid in the middle had bet more, she would have lost the game. But probably still made it to the next round. So that's good!

• Love 1

Whoever said upthread that these tournaments make them feel like a genius is correct.

FJ should have been a $400 clue.

So far, two semi-finalists named Emily.

My biggest challenge during the college and teen tournaments (I skip Kids Week) is when they ask anything about current music. I never thought I'd be that person, but I'm completely out of touch with the music of today. 

• Love 10

My biggest challenge during the college and teen tournaments (I skip Kids Week) is when they ask anything about current music. I never thought I'd be that person, but I'm completely out of touch with the music of today.

You and me both. I'm a certified old fogey. I don't even watch the Grammy's anymore because I have no clue who 99% of the people are. I will be online at 10:00 am sharp this Friday to score some Springsteen tickets, however.
  • Love 6

Oh come on, German Shepherds, Labrador Retrievers, and Golden Retrievers are the most popular guide dog breeds. Boxers doing that is much more rare.

These kids kept stepping over Alex (verbally) when he would call their names.

• Love 6

I wasn't too surprised they came back and corrected it, although I don't recall hearing him say "Herzegovnia".

He said it and I caught it immediately. At the break I googled it to make sure and cheered when they came back and corrected his score.

• Love 1