Type keyword(s) to search

Jeopardy! Season 32 (2015-2016)

Athena
  • Start Topic

Close game today.  Some of the clues were too easy.

Final Jeopardy: Literature is not my long suit but I got it right away.  I'm note sure I've ever actually read anything T.S. Eliot ever wrote, but I knew he was from St. Louis and emigrated to the UK.  Surprised the contestants all missed it.

Did the new champ say she went to the University of Texas?  That's reason to like her right there (I went to grad school at UT.)

• Love 3

That was a good game.  I like the new champion.

Did not get FJ.  I too went with Carl Sandburg just to have an answer.  But T.S. Eliot would have been my second choice.

• Love 4

I like Rachel but would have been happy with any of the contestants winning.

I got Estonia, Golden State Warriors and Oakland Raiders.

I was totally clueless on FJ. I guessed Carl Sandburg but knew that was incorrect.

• Love 3

I knew FJ, but I figured people would go for Sandburg.

Nobody knew my Alma Mater, Barnard. *sigh*.

I was rooting for Titi; he made quite a comeback after such a rocky first round. And his beads were cool! But Rachel is OK.

• Love 2

My go-to poet is Robert Frost when I have no idea.

I'm sad the last California sports clue was left. I loved that category. I'm not surprised the Warriors were a TS but I was surprised the guys said Niners and Rams over the Raiders. Ahh the "Heidi" game. One of those things that will be lost to folklore soon.

• Love 3

I got marmoset and wallaby. I like animals!

I was hoping Titi would win. The winner was taking too much time calling clues. And, I'm a little disappointed she didn't get the Raiders after the Rams and 49ers were eliminated.

• Love 5

Our cat got FJ!

Two old English majors watching with a cat sitting between them, and when the category (no pun intended) for FJ was announced, my husband said (in the cat's voice, as we do, go ahead and judge), "Must be T. S. Eliot," and we both laughed because of course the cat would think it would be the author of "Old Possum's Book of Practical Cats."  And then the clue came up, and more laughter ensued.  Because that's who it was!  So now we know that our cat is smarter than your average Jeopardy! contestant.  And also psychic.

Nobody knew my Alma Mater, Barnard. *sigh*.

Mine, too.  Their loss.

• Love 7

I think we need a Cat Tournament on Jeopardy. Guest host for that week only: Cat Deeley.

Back on topic, I like the new champ, and hey, we've had some good matches lately.

• Love 3

Its an interesting question if TS Eliot being from St. Louis and then becoming English is common knowledge or not.   I knew it but that fact about TS Eliot is just one of the things I know about him.

• Love 2

I ran the Animal category.  Was yelling 'marmoset' at the tv - thank you, Wild Thornberrys for that one.

I had no idea that T.S. Eliot was born in America.  I said Carl Sandburg, although I really doubted it was right, then switched at the last minute to e. e. cummings.  Oh well, modern poetry has never been my thing.

• Love 2

I ran the Animal category.  Was yelling 'marmoset' at the tv - thank you, Wild Thornberrys for that one.

Ha.Good one. I was called that little orange animal every primate name in the book except the correct one: gibbon, rhesus monkey, mini-baboon, etc.

Mine was the J to Y category. My kids were all, "Do you have to yell?" when I kept screaming, "What is Judiciary? Jelly? Jetty?"

• Love 3

"Pomp and Circumstance" -- when I was in high school in some previous century, someone had put words to it, starting with "My reindeer flies sideways, your reindeer does not." We sang that at rehearsal for graduation, but we were told not to at the actual graduation. Has anyone else heard these lyrics?

I hadn't, but the lyrics sung at my high school, nearly 50 years ago! Yikes!  started, "I want to get married.  I want to be a wife.  I'm so sick and tired of this high school life!"  I'm sure there was more, but I don't recall now.

(edited)

I had no clue...I was yelling "Trump" at the TV. That might have gotten a laugh from the audience

I sing this theme song to myself all the time. (Of course, orangutans are apes, not monkeys.)

Marmosets and tamarins are in the same taxonomic family, but I think the answer Alex gave should have been the more common one, tamarin. Only a couple of sources I checked said it could also be known as a marmoset.

TS Eliot was a TS. Fitting.

Edited by dcalley
  • Love 1

Connection between Titi's name and his beads?????

I missed his fireside chat with Alex. Is he Hawaiian? Samoan? Another Pacific island?

They didn't talk about it, but that was my assumption. 

I would have been so mad if the Elle Woods answer was not corrected because in the first movie she wasn't a lawyer yet.

Newport isn't even a state capital!

The "bat" category was very easy.

While I did not answer FJ correctly, I don't think I can get behind someone who answered Juneau for a state capital from 1780.

• Love 4

I guessed right for Final Jeopardy; I looked that up afterward for an explanation. Apparently the town is just resistant to letting franchises in. They don't have a Burger King either.

• Love 4

I would have been so mad if the Elle Woods answer was not corrected because in the first movie she wasn't a lawyer yet.

Newport isn't even a state capital!

The "bat" category was very easy.

While I did not answer FJ correctly, I don't think I can get behind someone who answered Juneau for a state capital from 1780.

Elle Woods only graduated from law school at the end of Legally Blonde, and certainly hadn't passed the bar.  That was just a bad question for that category.

The 'bat' category was really easy, as was the missing links category, as was the 'D' category -- including the Dubai daily double.  Speaking of easy daily doubles, that Northern Lights one was pretty easy.  I wonder if they would have accepted aurora australis (or Southern Lights) since they didn't specify the northern hemisphere in the clue.  Or may be aurora carson. :)

• Love 3

Alex's comment "I believe there are 2 McDonalds in Juneau" had me cracking up. Holy arcane knowledge, Batman. It reminded me of his appearance on The Golden Girls episode, when he says that Miss July has taken up windsurfing since her magazine appearance. It was the same kind of off-the-cuff, I-know-everything delivery.

• Love 3

WTF? Juneau? That wasn't just a GG (Goofy Guess) it was an SA (Stupid Answer). Any 5th grader would know that wasn't even close.

Too bad John was so timid with his FJ bet. He was good looking.

I'm so glad Peter didn't win. His sloooowness was driving me insane.

Lots of easy categories tonight, I thought.

I got Genesis, wrestler, hanging and Pope John Paul.

I guessed Dover, Delaware for FJ. Even though incorrect, at least I was in the correct century.

• Love 1

I guessed right for Final Jeopardy; I looked that up afterward for an explanation. Apparently the town is just resistant to letting franchises in. They don't have a Burger King either.

Good for them!

Elle Woods only graduated from law school at the end of Legally Blonde, and certainly hadn't passed the bar.  That was just a bad question for that category.

Yes, it was bad; is "student" a profession?

• Love 2

Hey, I said Juneau too - not being American and not having any concept of what the timeframe is for any of the states beyond the 13 colonies, I was going for the most remote/tiny capital I could think of. I was surprised that there is a capital city in the contiguous 48 states that doesn't have a single McDonald's.

However, if you all think it's completely absurd for an American to not have an idea of the time when Alaska became a state, then I'll take your word for it - IIRC the contestants were all American in this episode :)

I agree though that the Elle Woods question was terrible and I can't imagine who thought it was a good idea without considering lawyer vs law student. "Student" is considered a profession on those demographic forms and surveys and whatnot, but otherwise not so much, but Elle wasn't actually a lawyer, so it's just a bad question.

• Love 2

Alaska was made a state in 1959. That should be general knowledge, if not the exact date, knowing it happened in the twentieth century at least, for any United States student. And for someone who is obviously intelligent enough to get on Jeopardy! I'm just going to hope it was some kind of massive brain fart.

Juneau was incorporated as a city in the 1870's. I didn't know that though, I had to look that part up because I was curious.

• Love 2

I could be wrong, but I thought the clue mentioned that the city was settled in the 1780s, not necessarily that it was a state capital in the 1780s.  So Juneau is still not the right answer, but at least it's not off by almost 200 years.  (If that really is how the clue was framed, which may be me misremembering.  I'll go ask the cat.)

• Love 10

My mind went to Honolulu first but then I thought that was crazy. I was headed back through the early states after the original 13 but wouldn't have made it to Montpellier in time to answer. I didn't have a rooting interest in any of the players (missed yesterday's game due to bad weather making a long drive home) but I kind of felt bad that the only one to get FJ right lost.

• Love 1

Mine, too.  Their loss.

I got Bernard correct; one of my best friends from HS went there. At least your alma mater gets asked about on Jeopardy. My grad school (Arizona) gets an occasional mention, but my undergrad college has never gotten a mention. It's a small, private women's college in Pennyslvania. I could see them asking about it during the TOC, but even then it would probably be a triple stumper.

• Love 2

The clue did say settled, and that's why I went with Honolulu. Realizing how much of a tourist place it is, I realize that's a silly answer. It also was visited by explorers in the late 1700s but not necessarily "settled."

I wonder what they would have done if I called Indiana Jones a tomb raider.

• Love 2

I got Bernard correct; one of my best friends from HS went there. At least your alma mater gets asked about on Jeopardy. My grad school (Arizona) gets an occasional mention, but my undergrad college has never gotten a mention. It's a small, private women's college in Pennyslvania. I could see them asking about it during the TOC, but even then it would probably be a triple stumper.

I'm from PA what undergrad school?

History and geography are my two of my worst areas, but is it really common knowledge to know when capital cities are founded?  That seemed like such a silly FJ to me - first of all "so what?" and then other than it's probably a small city, how would you know?  It seems that the FJ questions lately have been widely varied in difficulty and wording.  Probably just me...

No, it's not just you. I figured the city was somewhere in New England because of the date, but beyond that, I didn't see anything that would point to Montpelier. FJ's have traditionally been something you could figure out from the wording of the clue, rather than "you either know it or you don't"-type facts, but I didn't see that here. I guessed Augusta, Maine.

• Love 2
(edited)

All this talk about the Juneau answer, and no mention of Newport?  As bad as Juneau was, at least it's a capital.  Newport is a much more embarrassing guess in my opinion.  I knew the answer right away only because I play bar trivia and we had that exact question a few months ago.  It also helps to know that Montpelier has the smallest population of any state capital.

Edited by Vgmastr
  • Love 5

I didn't need the year to know it was Montpelier. I have a friend from Vermont and she loves that the state has regulations around businesses that can keep franchises out. She brags about the fact that VT has college towns with no fast food. They're not big towns, but still.

Rachel is a fan of the phonetic alphabet!! Yes, Juneau was a weak answer, but how can I hate on someone who has the same weird obsession as me? I was reciting right along with her, I also run through it in my head at odd times. So I really have to root for her now :)

• Love 3

I guessed Dover, Delaware for FJ. Even though incorrect, at least I was in the correct century.

I figured it had to be one of the 13 original colonies but otherwise had no idea.  I did know it wasn't Dover, though, you can count the McDonalds from the highway on the way to the beach.

• Love 2

I guessed Vermont but I could not remember the name of the capital city! I'm going to brush up on those today! My mind first went to Alaska, but then I figured it had to be one of the 13 colonies with 1780 being right around 1776. I figured Vermont was very pristine and would not want a Mickey D.

• Love 3

All this talk about the Juneau answer, and no mention of Newport?  As bad as Juneau was, at least it's a capital.  Newport is a much more embarrassing guess in my opinion.  I knew the answer right away only because I play bar trivia and we had that exact question a few months ago.  It also helps to know that Montpelier has the smallest population of any state capital.

My sympathetic explanation is, maybe that was a shoutout of some kind and not an actual guess? Because as a guess, it was totally embarrassing. 

I think the way to figure your way to Montpelier (not that I did) was Early State  + Hippy = Vermont. 

• Love 1

Ah, but Vermont was NOT one of the thirteen colonies. Its territory was, but it was claimed as part of New York. I would guess the settling of all the Capitals of the 13 would have predated 1776*, so Montpelier being a few years later makes sense. 

(*I just looked, though - Harrisburg PA wasn't founded until 1785... the Capital prior to that would've been Philadelphia)

• Love 2