Type keyword(s) to search

F-U, Reboot-Mania: Express Your Hate Here

• Start Topic

5 hours ago, Ceindreadh said:

Maybe he won’t consider himself above the law. 

Uh....this is Lenkov.  Creator of Baby MacGyver & Cool Jack, as well.  And they never consider themselves above the law - esp International.  Riiighhhht.

• Love 1
On 2/21/2018 at 8:51 AM, Raja said:

In a replay of Tom Cruise and Jack Reacher the purist are screaming because he is not NBA tall like Tom Selleck.

I don't mean to sound snotty (about them), but of course they are. I thought the point of a reboot, though, was to take the idea of your source material & update it from the original (like giving new H50 all the technological advances that had been made since the original & not keeping it set in the original era)/not make an exact copy of it. Which is exactly what they're doing in my opinion, among other things, by not casting an actor who looks like a carbon copy of (a younger) Tom Selleck as Magnum &, apparently, making the character of Higgins a female former MI6 agent in this version instead of a male former British war veteran, like the original, John Hillerman, version of Higgins wasn't. 

As I typed that last sentence it also occurred to me that, because she's female, the new version of Higgins probably wouldn't be named Jonathan Quayle Higgins III. I know they can circumvent having to use a first name, a lot, because Magnum, TC, & Rick all just called him "Higgins" for the most part--so the new Magnum, TC & Rick probably will/should be doing this too. But, as I remember there were times when Higgins referred to himself (in the 3rd person?) as "Jonathan Quayle Higgins III". If they're gonna have the new Higgins do that too, I'm not sure I'd expect a female to refer to herself as "Jonathan Quayle Higgins III" (though I suppose it'd be more possible now than when Selleck's version aired).

At least Lenkov got away with keeping the name "Kono Kalākaua" in H50 when he did that gender swap. That worked, at least in my opinion, because it can be kinda hard telling what Hawaiian first names are for males & what Hawaiian first names are for females, or even what first names are "unisex" just by looking at them, without them being separated into "Male Names" lists & "Female Names" lists, or something like that, unless you're familiar with the Hawaiian language before you see a list that isn't already designated by gender.

I'm not sure it would've been as easy if Lenkov had decided to gender swap Chin Ho Kelly instead of Kono. And let's face it, he probably damn well wasn't gonna gender swap either Steve or Danny.

Heck, I thought Lenkov was taking a risk when I read his version of Danny would be a divorced cop from New Jersey who apparently (& begrudgingly as far as his attitude towards his ex-wife was concerned) moved to Hawaii so that he could maintain visitation & other contact with his daughter after the divorce. But, as far as I'm concerned, that version of Danny works. As I remember, the original Danny was supposed to have been from Hawaii. But that's really all I remember about him (& apparently all the original "creatives" wanted you to know about Danny--except, later on, we found out he had a kind of elderly Aunt Clara [who was played by James MacArthur's real life mother, the legendary actress Helen Hayes], who came to visit him from I don't know where on the Mainland & managed to get herself into some kind of trouble which she needed Five-O's help to get out of without being hurt or killed).

• Love 1

Aunt Clara, played by James MacArthur's real-life adopted mother(*) the Legendary Helen Hayes, was visiting her nephew in Hawaii when a nice elderly gentleman she met on the plane wound up missing without a reasonable trace (Retire in Sunny Hawaii... Forever).  She brought this to her nephew & Five-O, and then as part of the undercover investigation she and her "nurse" (an HPD undercover cop) were admitted to the nursing home that the gentleman had disappeared from.

She definitely elevated the standard Five-O materiel, and I found it very amusing that most of her scenes wound up being with Jack Lord instead of her son (snark snark snark).  I found it even more amusing that in her autobiography she does reference JM's time on the show, but never once mentions her episode or Jack Lord.

The character of Clara was updated in the reboot to Danny's mother, played by Melanie Griffith.

(*): According to her third autobiography, James was adopted as an infant, and she spent several days alone with him, bonding with this new baby.  It was a very moving account, and I have to admire her and hope it's not a dramatic creation, especially since there are rumors (from other sources, not from her), that JM was Charles MacArthur's biological son.  Of course, there are also other rumors regarding his parentage.  Of course, we will never know.  

Still, the Helen Hayes guest shot on the original Five-O is worth watching at least once.  It is available on CBS All Access.

Edited by kassygreene
  • Love 1
On 2/23/2018 at 5:59 PM, kassygreene said:

(*): According to her third autobiography, James was adopted as an infant, and she spent several days alone with him, bonding with this new baby.  It was a very moving account, and I have to admire her and hope it's not a dramatic creation, especially since there are rumors (from other sources, not from her), that JM was Charles MacArthur's biological son.  Of course, there are also other rumors regarding his parentage.  Of course, we will never know.  

Joyce Bulifant talks about this a lot in her newly-published autobiography.  James was her first husband, and she was astonished at the poor relationship that he and Helen had, largely because James was a heavy drinker and had a borderline abusive personality, much like Charles.  She was especially shocked when, after she and James had been dating for a while and he was starting to get serious about the relationship, Helen (whom she adored) took her aside and warned her not to marry James because he wasn't good enough for her.  Joyce couldn't believe her ears -- what kind of mother says that about her own child?

• Love 1
20 minutes ago, nosleepforme said:

They're keeping all the Roswell characters from the original series for the TheCW reboot, everyone aside from Sheriff Valenti has been cast now (if he's still part of the cast, who knows?). Michael Trevino will play Kyle, the role played by Nick Wechsler in the original show, while Nathan Parsons is going to be Max. Most of the other people I have never heard of.

There is also a longer description of the show:

And while most of the characters are the same, just older and walking in law enforcement, I also noticed these descriptions:

They're turning the Colin-Hanks character gay, just like one of the witches in the Charmed reboot will be gay. Guess there won't be an Alex/Isobal romance in this reboot. Also looks like Liz and Maria will not be best buds anymore?

Boo!!!

This constant insertion of PC characters and plot points in a show in which it didn’t exist before (or was nominal) feels stale and forced.  It reminds me of essays you had to write for a class assignment but it had to include things the teacher insisted be in it rather than be a story the students want to write.

I guess it will possibly give Alex something to do besides die and pine after Isabel who was a cow to him. And from a quick perusal of the Roswell High wiki, it doesn't look like Isabel and Alex ever went anywhere in the source material either. If she's just going to friendzone and treat him like a GBF him anyway, the show may as well get the benefit of him being gay.

When is someone going to get around to remaking Early Edition? Would be easy to do; just pop in a different lead and new stories. It would kind of scratch my "missing Warehouse 13" itch for light, episodic, cheesily adventurous sci fi.

• Love 10
8 hours ago, 2727 said:

When is someone going to get around to remaking Early Edition?

Given that today the most incredulous thing about it wouldn't be the lead getting the next day's paper, but still getting a physical newspaper at all...I kinda doubt it'll happen.

• Love 11

I agree.  Few people get actual newspapers anymore.  Maybe if they reset the show in an earlier decade.  Same universe as the original, just a few decades earlier as we take a look at another person who received tomorrow’s newspaper today.  It could still be a cat although IIRC, there was a NY man who also received a paper and it was accompanied by a pigeon.  

• Love 1

Eh, there could be a computer which shows tomorrow's online news stories instead of today's. And it only happens on that computer. Some outdated thing that takes forever to boot up and was going to the trash heap.

• Love 2
18 hours ago, 2727 said:

When is someone going to get around to remaking Early Edition? Would be easy to do; just pop in a different lead and new stories. It would kind of scratch my "missing Warehouse 13" itch for light, episodic, cheesily adventurous sci fi.

Be sure to check out Timeless when its new season starts tomorrow night.  Also check out The Orville when it returns this fall.  Your itch will thank you for it!  :)

I think an Early Edition remake would be so great. I think the fact that the main character would get a newspaper still would be interesting bc people would comment on it (mind you, I still know a ton of people who read a physical newspaper over the computer). Plus, talk about how you would want to catch whose delivering it. If it was electronic, it would be a lot of internet searching. I think a physical paper would be way more interesting.

What I loved most about it, is it could be a family show. I remember watching with my sister and parents. With the Librarians being canceled, I wish there were more shows that you could watch with your kids...

• Love 5
On 3/11/2018 at 6:45 PM, SnoGirl said:

I think the fact that the main character would get a newspaper still would be interesting bc people would comment on it (mind you, I still know a ton of people who read a physical newspaper over the computer).

I agree that it wouldn't be unreasonable.  In the original, it wasn't like Gary subscribed to the original; it just appeared.  The new Gary wouldn't have to subscribe to it.  I do think people commenting on him reading the newspaper would get old, though.

And Kyle Chandler looks like he’s barely aged.  He could still step right into those shoes.

In fact, maybe an updated version showing how Gary’s coping with the change n the method of delivery now that it’s 25 yrs later.

• Love 2
On 2/21/2018 at 8:51 AM, Raja said:

In a replay of Tom Cruise and Jack Reacher the purist are screaming because he is not NBA tall like Tom Selleck.

Regarding Jack Reacher, a large (no pun intended) part of his character is his sheer physicality; his height and bulk define him. It is constantly mentioned in the books. The pretty boy humunculous Tom Cruise playing such a character is ludicrous. Jason Stratham, although shorter than the character, would have been better.

I'm so tired of the unoriginality of reboots and continuations. Granted, I've been pleasantly surprised that "Will and Grace" hasn't been as bad as I thought it would be, but it's also kind of sad that 10 years after the show ended, these people are exactly the same as they were then. There's been no character growth.

• Love 5

It is still somewhat weird that the reboot is not taking place in highschool anymore (the book series was named after Roswell High after all) and Max as a police officer is just so random lol.

The CW has pretty much given up on the teen demographic. Their only teen show running right now is Riverdale. Over their history, they have only had Gossip Girl, the 90210 reboot, and The Vampire Diaries as successful teen shows. Everything else has been their comic book stuff. I think they ceded the teen demographic to ABC Family/Freeform around the time Arrow took off and never really looked back.

What's weird is that they're rebooting something that was never that popular to begin with. I mean, I loved the first two seasons of Roswell and I definitely was stoked that it was able to stay on for as long as it did, but it was a pretty niche show. It's not like Roswell has had the post-life cult that Veronica Mars has had, either.

On 3/17/2018 at 12:59 PM, Popples said:

Melissa Joan Hart returns for 'Clarissa Explains It All' reboot.

While I watched Boy Meets World on TGIF, I didn't love it and I've only seen a few scenes from Girl Meets World and it didn't grab me. I adored Clarissa Explains It All, and have mixed feelings about it. Is Sam going to visit and still come through the window?

Huge Boy Meets World fan. One of my favorite shows from the 90s. Girl Meets World was awful. They really dropped the ball on that reboot. Clarissa was another one of my favorite Nickelodeon shows back in the day. Not sure about this reboot.

• Love 2

Have you always wondered what Daniel and Johnny from Karate Kid are doing now? In that case Youtube Red's new series Cobra Kai is made for you:

Cobra Kai takes place 30 years after the events of the 1984 All Valley Karate Tournament and finds Johnny Lawrence on the hunt for redemption by reopening the infamous Cobra Kai karate dojo. This reignites his old rivalry with the successful Daniel LaRusso, who has been working to maintain the balance in his life without mentor Mr. Miyagi.

The first two episodes are available to watch for free.

On 5/6/2018 at 2:24 PM, paulvdb said:

Have you always wondered what Daniel and Johnny from Karate Kid are doing now? In that case Youtube Red's new series Cobra Kai is made for you:

The first two episodes are available to watch for free.

On 5/6/2018 at 3:56 PM, ganesh said:

He's a grown man. Is he really struggling to 'find balance' without his mentor? Go to therapy. 

This actually wound up being an unexpectedly smart reboot/continuation. It's well worth watching.

It actually helps that Daniel is still a bit of a mess, even though on the surface very successful. And the Johnny half of the story is a real revelation.

Here's the previously Forum for it:  http://forums.previously.tv/forum/3969-cobra-kai/

• Love 1
(edited)

I only saw the first two episodes, but I thought Cobra Kai was pretty decent. It's got budget limitations and I wish it had been on Netflix instead, but it's solid. It's built on a very solid premise- what happens to people if they can't let go of who they were in high school? Johnny's a mess because he crashed and burned in high school, while Danny is successful but he still lives on the glory of his high school underdog self.

From Deadline: Zachary Knighton to Play Rick in CBS & Peter Lenkov's Magnum P.I. Reboot

Something about Zachary Knighton does it for me. Weird Loners was such a bad show but I kind of loved how quirky he was, even though he's in the body of blandly handsome television actor.

Edited by methodwriter85
On 5/7/2018 at 9:40 PM, methodwriter85 said:

From Deadline: Zachary Knighton to Play Rick in CBS & Peter Lenkov's Magnum P.I. Reboot

Something about Zachary Knighton does it for me. Weird Loners was such a bad show but I kind of loved how quirky he was, even though he's in the body of blandly handsome television actor.

I'm not sure I'll watch the new "Magnum P.I.," but I could totally see Zachary Knighton as Rick. As you said, there's something about him. I liked him back in "Flash Forward," loved him in "Happy Endings," and enjoyed him in "Weird Loners." In "L.A. to Vegas," I didn't care so much for the character, but I liked him.

CBS Eyeing Mad About You Revival

Why, dear God, why? Especially since their series finale had them divorced and reconnecting.

32 minutes ago, SmithW6079 said:

I'm not sure I'll watch the new "Magnum P.I.," but I could totally see Zachary Knighton as Rick. As you said, there's something about him. I liked him back in "Flash Forward," loved him in "Happy Endings," and enjoyed him in "Weird Loners." In "L.A. to Vegas," I didn't care so much for the character, but I liked him.

Why, dear God, why? Especially since their series finale had them divorced and reconnecting.

Not only that, but Mad About You is a case study in how shows that were popular while they were airing totally failed in syndication. It makes zero sense. Full House and Roseanne make sense- they've been in steady syndication and have basically never left the airwaves.

• Love 4
2 hours ago, MissAlmond said:

Somebody make it stop!!!!!!!!! 

Which is what I believe the cast of the original show said.  There's a reason none of them are acting anymore.

• Love 4
11 minutes ago, Lugal said:

Which is what I believe the cast of the original show said.  There's a reason none of them are acting anymore.

According to Wikipedia, Anne Schedeen (the actress who played Kate, the mother of the family), is still acting.

I thought I read/heard a few years ago that the actor who played the dad had died; according to Wikipedia, he’s still alive, but he hasn’t acted since 2005. He was treated for Lymphoma in 1995, & remains in remission to date. He was arrested for DUIs in 2000 & 2003. In 2017 (last year) his wife of 52 years, & the mother of his son & daughter, died. As of May of this year, he was reportedly living with a same-sex partner in Germany.

The actor & actress who played the kids don’t act anymore. Benji Gregory, who played the son, enlisted in the Navy in 2003 & was honorably discharged in 2005. He was married in 2006. Andrea Elson, who played the daughter, was an actress & model until 1998, according to Wikipedia. As of 2008, they say she’s a yoga instructor.

• Love 3

I read an article that said Anne Schedeen quit acting around 2001 to become a designer and accord to IMDb she guested in the TV series Tiny Nuts in 2014 which was the first thing she did since 2001, and she hasn't done anything since.

• Love 2
On 5/16/2018 at 2:41 PM, methodwriter85 said:

Not only that, but Mad About You is a case study in how shows that were popular while they were airing totally failed in syndication. It makes zero sense. Full House and Roseanne make sense- they've been in steady syndication and have basically never left the airwaves.

I meant to quote the other post, too. Mad About You was on NBC, I remember it as part of their must see TV. Why would CBS be doing the reboot?

I loved the show, and watched it whenever i found it in reruns.

5 hours ago, Anela said:

I meant to quote the other post, too. Mad About You was on NBC, I remember it as part of their must see TV. Why would CBS be doing the reboot?

I loved the show, and watched it whenever i found it in reruns.

Sony owns the show so they can sell the show to whatever network or streaming service they want to and networks are trying to limit shows that they don’t own because it makes better financial sense.

• Love 1
On ‎5‎/‎16‎/‎2018 at 2:05 PM, SmithW6079 said:

I would tune into a Magnum PI reboot, at least to see how it goes. 

Next in the reboot rumors :  Frasier.  Though Kelsey Grammer seems undecided right now. 

http://www.digitalspy.com/tv/ustv/news/a862897/frasier-reboot-kelsey-grammer-confirms/

Exclusive: Amazon says James Gunn 'Starsky and Hutch' reboot is off

Last weekend, Disney fired “Guardians of the Galaxy” director James Gunn over offensive tweets from 2009 to 2012 that recently resurfaced.

Most news coverage of his firing has also mentioned that while Gunn will no longer direct “Guardians of the Galaxy 3” for Disney, he is still set to direct a “Starsky and Hutch” reboot series for Amazon Studios.

Indeed, last August, Amazon bought the rights to the Sony TV series in development, with a “script-to-series commitment,” as Deadline, Entertainment Weekly, Variety, and many others reported at the time. On Tuesday, the UK’s Metro newspaper asked whether Gunn will still direct the project for Amazon in the wake of his Disney firing.

The answer is no.

A spokesperson for Amazon Studios tells Yahoo Finance that Amazon backed out of the project months ago—before Gunn’s current scandal.

“We passed on the project completely months ago,” says the spokesperson. “There was no statement. This is the same for any other project we do not move forward with.”

Director James Gunn at a discussion during the E3 Expo on June 13, 2017, in Los Angeles, Calif. (Christian Petersen/Getty Images)

More

Amazon Studios declined to clarify further on exactly when and why it backed out of the project. It is unclear whether the series could still get made by a different distributor; Yahoo Finance has reached out to Sony TV for comment.

Gunn has publicly apologized for the tweets, and said, “I understand and accept the business decisions taken” by Disney. But many cast members of the “Guardians of the Galaxy” franchise have spoken out in Gunn’s defense.

I'm glad this has been shelved. Leave my childhood faves alone,  damn it! I also think the S&H movie was a complete and utter travesty.

• Love 4
3 hours ago, scriggle said:

I'm glad this has been shelved. Leave my childhood faves alone,  damn it! I also think the S&H movie was a complete and utter travesty.

Honestly, I’m glad it was shelved too. The original was my favorite show in Junior High & early High School (I think it was). I don’t do Amazon Prime Video (or Prime anything else), & as much as I loved the original I’m not sure I’d have joined Prime Video just to watch 2 guys other than Paul & David play them. And I loved the chemistry they had, back in the day, & that they’re apparently still besties all these years later (though I don’t know how much they actually manage to get together, except when they do the very occasional personal appearance, with the Striped Tomato, Antonio Fargas, or both, since Paul lives in California & David moved to England years ago—& I guess David’s only daughter lives there too).

I was especially leery of watching a potential reboot because of the way I heard the characters were in the movie (I’ve never seen it & I’m still not sure I’m ever gonna watch it, but I have thought about it sometimes). The whole thing of Starsky being the serious 1 & Hutch being the goofball, in the movie, just feels wrong to me.

• Love 2
3 hours ago, starri said:

I only want ALF to return in Pog form.

That would require Pogs to come back first.

A Facts of Life reboot could actually work.  Remember the original premise: the (mis)adventures of a group of teenage girls in a boarding school.  It's a relatively timeless concept, but with the way culture has changed since the '80s, there's lots of new stories to tell, and new angles to explore in the old ones.  And it would be another show with a majority female cast, which we do need more of.

• Love 3
7 hours ago, SVNBob said:

A Facts of Life reboot could actually work.  Remember the original premise: the (mis)adventures of a group of teenage girls in a boarding school.  It's a relatively timeless concept, but with the way culture has changed since the '80s, there's lots of new stories to tell, and new angles to explore in the old ones.  And it would be another show with a majority female cast, which we do need more of.

I hate reboots but do agree this could work but ONLY if it's a continuation (what's the reboot name for that?) of the same school with new students; perhaps the daughters/nieces of the original cast.   But if it's the same characters only now it's present time, no, no, no.  Actually, I no, no, no these things anyway.  

• Love 1
On 8/2/2018 at 7:06 AM, scriggle said:

Oh, thank God!  Actually, Paul & David see each other several times a year.  Paul was in a Panto recently, and before that played Tevye in a stage production of ‘Fiddler’, in England.  Since David’s recent hip replacement, he’s able to travel much easier now, to the US where all his sons live (like @BW Manilowe stated, China lives in London).

• Love 3
8 hours ago, MissAlmond said:

I hate reboots but do agree this could work but ONLY if it's a continuation (what's the reboot name for that?) of the same school with new students; perhaps the daughters/nieces of the original cast.   But if it's the same characters only now it's present time, no, no, no.  Actually, I no, no, no these things anyway.  

Reboot: New students in the same school, it might be or might not be in the same "universe" as the original show.  A reboot would also be the same characters/set up, but starting over as if the original did not exist (think: Tobey Maguire, Andrew Garfield, Tom Holland Spider-Man;'s)

Revival: The original cast, but in the present day (think: Will and GraceMurphy Brown , etc).

16 hours ago, MissAlmond said:

I hate reboots but do agree this could work but ONLY if it's a continuation (what's the reboot name for that?) of the same school with new students; perhaps the daughters/nieces of the original cast.  

I wouldn't even go that far.  I think it'd be better with all new characters with practically no connection to the original cast except the school itself.  Maybe one legacy character, two at most. 

According to Wikipedia, there was a FoL Reunion special in 2001 (filmed around 9/11!) which showed that Tootie and Jo both had daughters, and part of the plot was Natalie dealing with 2 wedding proposals.  The daughters were 10 and 12, so they'd be too old to be regulars in the new series, but there's potential with Natalie and/or Blair.  Or Blair's cousin Geri.  Or even any of the other 4 girls that appeared in the first season (remember them?  One was played by Molly Ringwald).  So there's a way to get a legacy character or two.

In any case, I'd leave the door open for the original cast to appear if they want (like a special alumni homecoming or reunion episode), but not rely on any connection beyond the title and setting.

7 hours ago, OtterMommy said:

A reboot would also be the same characters/set up, but starting over as if the original did not exist (think: Tobey Maguire, Andrew Garfield, Tom Holland Spider-Man;'s)

I think that qualifies as a remake, not a reboot.  I do agree about the definition of revival.  And Star Trek is the easiest way to define them all and a couple others, even if you have to go theatrical a bit.

• Original: Star Trek (TOS)
  • Revival: Star Trek the Motion Picture (and movies 2-6)
  • Reboot: Star Trek TNG (DS9 and Voyager are spin-offs). (and movies 7-9)
  • Remake: The Abrams-verse movies.
  • Retcon: Enterprise
  • Retcon Reboot: Discovery
  • Love 2
3 hours ago, Luckylyn said:

Wasn’t there a brief Facts of Life series or movie where one of the girls from the original show was the principal for a new cast?   It’s possible I’m remembering wrong.

Not a movie, but a failed backdoor pilot as the series finale, where Eastland was bankrupt, Blair had the bright idea to quit law school, buy it and be its new Head Mistress.

It was horrible and I’m still pissed the girls didn’t get a proper finale. Hell, Natalie wasn’t in any of the scenes with the girls she grew up with and was friends with for the run of the series.

It’s a BIG FAT NO!!! from me.

• Love 3