Type keyword(s) to search

F-U, Reboot-Mania: Express Your Hate Here

• Start Topic

So many clueless people running networks.  Some TV shows capture a moment in time and IMO, Dynasty was one of them.  It was right for the 80's and I doubt a straight reboot would work.   I agree with those who say if The CW is determined to bring it back, they should take a tip from Dallas and focus on the next generation of Carrington's.  They could start with the fallout following Blake's death. 

Edited by MissAlmond
  • Love 3

Fuller House's second season starts on December 9.  I like the show, but would prefer if they killed off DJ and had her kids were raised by Aunt Stephanie.   Stamos was only in a few episodes last seaon.  I don't know how many he will be in this season.

Edited by atomationage
stamos

No, that was Dave Coulier who dated Alanis -- thus spawning You Oughta Know.  Apparently, he had quite the MO with the younger ladies, as a friend of a friend was suddenly engaged to him (when hardly anyone even knew they'd been dating) and going on and on about this wonderful man, and then all of a sudden she wasn't, and the little she said about the whole thing carried the same venom as the song, heh.

• Love 1
6 hours ago, lordonia said:

Are viewers really clamoring for Will and Grace to come back? Same cast, same story.

They'd pretty much have to retcon the series finale if they were to pick up where they left off, since the finale had Will and Grace not speaking to or seeing each other until they accidentally bumped into each other while helping their respective kids get settled into college 20 years after Will and Grace initially parted company.  Either that, or they'd have to set the show in 2028 or later.

Edited by legaleagle53
  • Love 2

I'm not sure where to put this, because I don't hate the idea, but I just heard that there will be a Godfather reboot of sorts for Mario Puzo's last book, Omerta, starring Sylvester Stallone.

14 minutes ago, ennui said:

I'm not sure where to put this, because I don't hate the idea, but I just heard that there will be a Godfather reboot of sorts for Mario Puzo's last book, Omerta, starring Sylvester Stallone.

STOP THE FUCKING MADNESS!!!????????

wishing I could insert emoji banging head against a brick wall!!!!

• Love 5

A Dynasty reboot makes absolutely no sense. The economy is in the perma-shitter, and most importantly, the oil and natural gas industry is in a free-fall right now. A wealthy oil family doesn't make sense in this environment. Rich people escapism shows haven't really worked in awhile- Revenge only managed to be a hit because, in my opinion, it was about punishing the wealthy. I mean, I loved the O.C. and liked Gossip Girl, but neither of them would have worked in this decade. (Re: the oil boom show starring Don Johnson and Chace Crawford that lasted less than 13 episodes.)

I will say this though- the CW hasn't been the best to their LGBT characters, and I will be super-pissed if they actually manage to regress on the Stephen storyline. That would be fucking sad if they did.

Also, this being the CW, I'd be shocked if they allowed "Cristal" to be older than 28, or for Blake and Alexis to look older than early 40's.

I just have very little faith after watching how badly the 90210 and Melrose Place reboots were done, especially the latter.

Edited by methodwriter85
  • Love 2
On 11/4/2016 at 10:55 PM, methodwriter85 said:

A Dynasty reboot makes absolutely no sense. The economy is in the perma-shitter, and most importantly, the oil and natural gas industry is in a free-fall right now. A wealthy oil family doesn't make sense in this environment.

True.  Perhaps the families will be involved in the tech industry, or perhaps green energy (although the latter didn't work for the Dallas sequel series).  Or political families with lobbyists fighting for one cause or another.

I mean, I just don't think "pretty rich people escapist" shows appeal to the average 2010's television viewer. We have Empire, but I wouldn't really call it that- the richness is in there, but it's really about a modern, ethnic re-telling of the Lion in the Winter.

A tech show could be interesting, though. Maybe it could be based around something that's an equivalent of Google or Apple?

On Saturday, November 05, 2016 at 1:55 AM, methodwriter85 said:

A Dynasty reboot makes absolutely no sense. The economy is in the perma-shitter, and most importantly, the oil and natural gas industry is in a free-fall right now. A wealthy oil family doesn't make sense in this environment. Rich people escapism shows haven't really worked in awhile- Revenge only managed to be a hit because, in my opinion, it was about punishing the wealthy. I mean, I loved the O.C. and liked Gossip Girl, but neither of them would have worked in this decade. (Re: the oil boom show starring Don Johnson and Chace Crawford that lasted less than 13 episodes.

Also, ABC already tried this, of sorts, with last year's Blood & Oil, which tanked.

• Love 1
On 11/4/2016 at 10:55 PM, methodwriter85 said:

A Dynasty reboot makes absolutely no sense. The economy is in the perma-shitter, and most importantly, the oil and natural gas industry is in a free-fall right now. A wealthy oil family doesn't make sense in this environment. Rich people escapism shows haven't really worked in awhile- Revenge only managed to be a hit because, in my opinion, it was about punishing the wealthy. I mean, I loved the O.C. and liked Gossip Girl, but neither of them would have worked in this decade. (Re: the oil boom show starring Don Johnson and Chace Crawford that lasted less than 13 episodes.)

Going down as well as up is a good starting point for a story. It could be like a Presidential candidate having his own jumbo jet even if at many times real estate was down and the corporation had bankruptcy claims yet he still traded in wives for a newer trophy.

• Love 1
2 hours ago, Trini said:

The Honeymooners reboot in development at CBS.

Here's the problem with trying to "reboot" this: it's the template. Nearly every other sitcom centered around a couple has copied from this show. For the past 60 years. Either we've seen it all already, or it won't be The Honeymooners, anyway.

The other problem is the fact that the original cast was lightning in a bottle.  Where are you going to find four people who are going to going to gel and play off one another the way that Jackie Gleason, Audrey Meadows, Art Carney, and Joyce Randolph did?  It's the same reason that nobody has ever dared to attempt an I Love Lucy reboot -- there was only one Lucy, only one Ricky, only one Fred, and only one Ethel.

• Love 5
5 hours ago, SVNBob said:

There was also an "updated" Honeymooners movie with Cedric the Entertainer as Ralph about 10 years ago.  And that tanked.

Of course it did.  Cedric the Entertainer is no Jackie Gleason.  That's why this reboot is also doomed to failure.  There was only one Jackie Gleason (although Brad Garrett comes pretty close).

Edited by legaleagle53

Louis CK's HBO show was Honeymooners-esque, but not a reboot. I thought it was kind of in the spirit of the Honeymooners but contemporary. The only real similarities was married family, neighbor, working class setting. The characters were different. It was even shot like an "old show". I don't think it got a fair shake. 

Edited by ganesh
On 11/5/2016 at 1:55 AM, methodwriter85 said:

Rich people escapism shows haven't really worked in awhile

Downton Abbey did well, particularly for a PBS show.  I believe sometimes it had higher ratings than shows on commercial or cable TV.

I don't know how The Crown did, though that's on Netflix.

Perhaps the setting of rich people escapism can't be too close to home.

TNT is letting Jeff Davis adapt/reboot Let the Right One In. Davis created Criminal Minds and was the show runner for Teen Wolf, which has turned into a complete mess. I don't know that I trust Davis to take the story of a castrated 200 year old vampire child passing as an 11 year old girl who uses a pedophile as his cover and henchman and treat it with any subtlety.

http://variety.com/2016/tv/news/let-the-right-one-in-tnt-pilot-1201846600/ 

I read earlier today they're thinking about rebooting All in the Family & The Jeffersons. I'll have to find & add the link later.

Here's the link to the article about possibly rebooting the above shows (& some other old Norman Lear shows).

http://www.tvguide.com/news/all-in-the-family-jeffersons-maude-good-times-reboot-norman-lear-sony/?ftag=TVG_Twitter

Edited by BW Manilowe
To add a link & a comment about it.
14 hours ago, Lord Donia said:

Will and Grace, really? Sigh.

I mean, no skin off my nose and I'm not gonna watch, but this is supposed to be the era of peak TV, not repeat TV.

What's next, Our Miss Brooks and My Little Margie?

Will & Grace isn't so much a reboot as it is a sequel/continuation that's supposed to pick up where the series finale left off (which completely ignores the fact that the series finale ended with Will and Grace only getting back into each others' lives after they'd been pretty much dead to each other for 20 years following a huge blow-out that ended their friendship).

3 hours ago, ganesh said:

Knight Rider v3.0: My Mother The Car. You will watch this. You all will watch this!

Actually...this could happen.  Make KITT into Kitty (the mother's name, or an old nickname), and have her be a scientist working on cybernetics and uploading the human mind into a computer.  She succeeds in a test (using herself, of course), but gets killed in the process (assassinated for the tech?, religious zealots?, or just an accident?).   So she "survives" as the computer that ends up in the car of her daughter, Mikaela.

(And for continuity, the original project was funded in part by Knight Industries.  With Hasselhoff's Michael as the new Devon.)

Edited by SVNBob
  • Love 3

Someone green light this. Green light this all day. 

I read a great article in EW years ago about a showrunner who came up with a pitch on the drive to the studio execs based off a billboard they saw, and it got filmed as a pilot. 

I could guarantee collectively that *at least* one pilot could get green lit off the stuff posted here. There's no doubt in my mind.

18 hours ago, legaleagle53 said:

Will & Grace isn't so much a reboot as it is a sequel/continuation that's supposed to pick up where the series finale left off (which completely ignores the fact that the series finale ended with Will and Grace only getting back into each others' lives after they'd been pretty much dead to each other for 20 years following a huge blow-out that ended their friendship).

What's the betting the sequel will open with one of the characters realizing that the finale was just a dream?

• Love 1
1 hour ago, BW Manilowe said:

Netflix is rebooting Queer Eye for the Straight Guy. They're casting for a new "Fab Five", but hoping the originals will be involved in some way as well.

http://ew.com/tv/2017/01/24/netflix-queer-eye-for-the-straight-guy/

Hm. The original was lightning in a bottle as far as casting was concerned, and that's 95% of the show.

Can we get Billy Eichner to be the culture gay and scream at the makeovers about their lack of celebrity knowledge?

• Love 1

The CW has picked up the reboot of Dynasty.  http://www.msn.com/en-us/tv/news/‘dynasty’-reboot-picked-up-to-series-at-the-cw/ar-BBAZAnO

"It follows two of America’s wealthiest families, the Carringtons and the Colbys, as they feud for control over their fortune and their children. The series will be told primarily through the perspectives of two women at odds: Fallon Carrington, daughter of billionaire Blake Carrington, and her soon-to-be stepmother, Cristal, a Hispanic woman marrying into this WASP family and America’s most powerful class."

CBS has another SWAT coming. I guess because it has a Black Sergeant and not a White Lieutenant they are promoting it as if the show came from Samuel L. Jackson the movie and not the Steve Forrest series spun off from The Rookies.

I feel the same way about Roseanne as I do about Will and Grace: not in a hundred years.

I used to be a viewer and fan of both, so maaaaaybe I'd check them out if they were being remade with different actors (although I can't fathom the point of that, either), but same shit/different day? Nope. I've moved far, far on.

• Love 2
On 5/19/2017 at 6:43 PM, Lord Donia said:

I feel the same way about Roseanne as I do about Will and Grace: not in a hundred years.

I used to be a viewer and fan of both, so maaaaaybe I'd check them out if they were being remade with different actors (although I can't fathom the point of that, either), but same shit/different day? Nope. I've moved far, far on.

Same here. I loved both of these shows. But they are long over and I just don't understand this whole reunion/reboot thing. I can see doing a one-off special, kind of. Actually, I'd rather just do cast gets together, dishes on behind the scenes stuff, show clips, etc. 

• Love 3
(edited)

What galls me is that the people who are behind these reboots seem convinced that these shows not only need to be revived, but also need to be made over into something unrecognizable simply because they fear that the original formulas won't work in 2017. Therefore, they take it upon themselves to change established characters and histories with no logic or reasoning behind the changes.  Exhibit A is the new Dynasty.  Really, show people?  A Hispanic Cristal who is at best morally ambiguous, a black Jeff Colby who is the adversary of Blake Carrington rather than the son Blake always wished he could have, and Sammy Joe instead of Sammi Jo?  Gah!

Edited by legaleagle53
  • Love 4
On 5/19/2017 at 9:57 AM, Misslindsey said:

Is the Roseanne reboot actually a thing? Didn't the series finale end with everything being not as the audience saw, like Dan was actually dead and Darlene really was with Mark? 

Do we even call it a reboot? It sounds more like a continuation.

Then again, if they do a Dallas/Bobby in the Shower thing and remove the whole last season, what do we call THAT when it happens so many years later? A semi-continuation/semi-reboot?

On 5/21/2017 at 6:40 PM, legaleagle53 said:

What galls me is that the people who are behind these reboots seem convinced that these shows not only need to be revived, but also need to be made over into something unrecognizable simply because they fear that the original formulas won't work in 2017. Therefore, they take it upon themselves to change established characters and histories with no logic or reasoning behind the changes.  Exhibit A is the new Dynasty.  Really, show people?  A Hispanic Cristal who is at best morally ambiguous, a black Jeff Colby who is the adversary of Blake Carrington rather than the son Blake always wished he could have, and Sammy Joe instead of Sammi Jo?  Gah!

I've come to the realization that half the reason I hate reboots now is because so many bad ones existing has tended to automatically sour me on the good ones before I've even given them  a fair shot.  And I hate that I do that. So it makes me resent the whole reboot phenomenon even more.

And then a reboot like One Day At A Time comes along and pleasantly surprises us. In a way making me resent the flood of shitty reboots even more, because I had to go into ODAT with a skeptic's eye. Feh.

The new tendency towards continuations is something else I'm struggling with. I haven't decided how I feel. Some seems SO unnecessary, but some actually seem like a good idea. Gilmore Girls wasn't a bad idea for one. The execution had some problems (especially the mega-shitty Summer episode), but it was kind of cool to see those people again, It was self-indulgent and self-referential to its own history though, and that's another big issue with these continuations. Girl Meets World, already a fairly badly implemented and written show, was made even worse, for example, by constantly referencing it's own history (Boy Meets World).

Will & Grace also seems like a bad idea to me. The world we have isn't the world they came from, and I don't think they'll work in the current one.  Roseanne, on the other hand, sounds like a potentially GREAT idea, as long as they throw out the last season. Or leave it and have had them lose their money (not sure what believable reason they'd have for Dan still being alive in that case though). Roseanne--a version where they are working class poor at least--fits exactly into a world where we have to examine why people like that voted the way they did in the last election. It's relevant, if done right.

Dynasty? I can see a way it could work, but if so it has to be very different than the original--and if so why even call it Dynasty?  Why does it have to be different? Because again, we don't live in the same world. People's resentment of the super-rich comes even before their aspirations to be like that now. So any element of romanticizing the rich has to be drummed out of a new version. And then what's left? Just another version of Empire, but with lots of white folks. Which can be a success, but it's different from how the old one worked. The old one had the shenanigans and misbehavior of a current show like Empire, but it didn't have the aspect of having lived through a struggle to get to that point. Whatever Blake Carrington did to make his money (I don't even remember!) it wasn't the point of the show. The show was a illustration of the rich and famous, a celebration of them. Is that what people really want to watch in 2017?  I bet not.

• Love 4

I want to be a fly in the writers room on the Roseanne show. She was notorious during the initial run and doesn't seem to have mellowed/become more stable in recent years.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, biakbiak said:

I want to be a fly in the writers room on the Roseanne show. She was notorious during the initial run and doesn't seem to have mellowed/become more stable in recent years.

What if, in a fit of Roseanne nuttiness, she hires Tom Arnold!?

The backstage gossip and scandals were bad enough in the 90s but will be merciless in the Internet/social media age. I have no confidence in Roseanne's ability to keep it together as exec producer.

• Love 1