Type keyword(s) to search

F-U, Reboot-Mania: Express Your Hate Here

• Start Topic

The Latest: Will Smith wants to ruin his own legacy by rebooting "Fresh Prince of Bel Air".

Fuck you, Smith. You arguably already ruined your greater legacy as culturally relevant by pushing your annoying family on us for years, but Fresh Prince was always there intact. Unruined.  Now you want to screw that up.

http://tvline.com/2015/08/13/fresh-prince-reboot-will-smith/

At least we haven't heard the ultimate ruiner: that he plans to put his spoiled, somewhat insane son Jaden in the lead role.  But we also haven't seen anything saying that WON'T be happening either. Because you know... Jaden will play a hard-up ghetto kid moved to Bel Air SO convincingly. I mean unless the plan is to have Jaden play the new Carlton.  Ha! That would be rich.

• Love 2

I have a feeling that the F-U is going to be disappearing from this thread title, Kromm.... (though I like it!)

I was just reading about this reboot fuckery and am like, WHY? Why why why. Fresh Prince was an awesome show. Great comedy, excellent writing, great family stories, fun characters, good actors. You cannot recreate that magic. There is a certain chemistry, right place right time sort of thing that occurs, and certain (read:many) shows hit it but it has to be the right place at the right time with the right people.

We're getting a Xena reboot, Fresh Prince and more. X-Files coming back. We have a Girl Meets World, going off BMW. There are more "reboots" I just can't think of them right now.

Can no one come up with an original idea??? Oh wait, that's right, they can't. Leave it alone, network execs. Leave. The. Shows. Alone.

I don't want to have to bust out the shoulder pads if Dynasty comes back....*grin*

• Love 2

I have a feeling that the F-U is going to be disappearing from this thread title, Kromm.... (though I like it!)

I was just reading about this reboot fuckery and am like, WHY? Why why why. Fresh Prince was an awesome show. Great comedy, excellent writing, great family stories, fun characters, good actors. You cannot recreate that magic. There is a certain chemistry, right place right time sort of thing that occurs, and certain (read:many) shows hit it but it has to be the right place at the right time with the right people.

We're getting a Xena reboot, Fresh Prince and more. X-Files coming back. We have a Girl Meets World, going off BMW. There are more "reboots" I just can't think of them right now.

Can no one come up with an original idea??? Oh wait, that's right, they can't. Leave it alone, network execs. Leave. The. Shows. Alone.

I don't want to have to bust out the shoulder pads if Dynasty comes back....*grin*

X Files at the least isn't a reboot.  I'm a lot more okay with legit continuations.

I'm a bit in the middle with pseudo-continuations, like Heroes Reborn, where it's half and half.  You could still try something similar but original instead, but at least you aren't trying to reinvent/recreate the magic--you're just hoping a little of it is still floating around from before.

• Love 1

I posted an update in the other thread, BTW. Will Smith is involved, but it's NOT a reboot of Fresh Prince.

I'm still with you on this reboot trend, though. Some things should just be left alone!

• Love 1
X Files at the least isn't a reboot.  I'm a lot more okay with legit continuations.

No, I know it's not a reboot. But it's like the network execs are like this:

Clueless Network Suit 1: "We need a new show!!"

Clueless Network Suit 2: *furiously reads through stack of pitches* "I don't know, there is nothing here that's - IMO - good".

Clueless N Suit 1: *furiously reads another stack of pitches* "I don't know. These ideas are too creative. Too different. Too - you know - unique. We can't have that!!"

Clueless Suit 2: *looks up to sky whilst wiping drool from mouth* "Hey, I have an idea!! Why don't we just do the same thing again. Let's do a reboot!"

Clueless Suit 1: "That's a great unique and creative idea. I'm in! Which one?"

Clueless Suit 2: "Um....Let's hit the Google I'm Feeling Lucky button." *hits button* "Fresh Prince of Bel Air is it!"

• Love 3

I posted an update in the other thread, BTW. Will Smith is involved, but it's NOT a reboot of Fresh Prince.

Thank goodness for that, but if it were true...

At least we haven't heard the ultimate ruiner: that he plans to put his spoiled, somewhat insane son Jaden in the lead role.  But we also haven't seen anything saying that WON'T be happening either. Because you know... Jaden will play a hard-up ghetto kid moved to Bel Air SO convincingly. I mean unless the plan is to have Jaden play the new Carlton.  Ha! That would be rich.

And have him ruin the "Carlton Dance"? Oh hell no! He could be Jazz and repeatedly be thrown out of the house.

• Love 2

They are rebooting Xena?  I thought everyone involved in that show was related/ran the same production company and all busy with bringing Evil Dead to TV.  I guess they can multi task.

• Love 1

I'm waiting for a Starsky and Hutch remake.  Huggy Bear will be played by Chris Rock, Jensen Ackles as Hutch (hey Supernatural has to end sometime), and David Schwimmer as Starsky.

Edited by Mulva
  • Love 3

In my opinion, both the remakes of Dallas and Hawaii Five-O (today's version called Hawaii Five-0; notice the difference) are far inferior to the original-recipe versions of those same shows.

Dallas wasn't a reboot, as in taking the plot or setting and making a entire new fictional history, It was picking up the story years in the future with Bobby and JR primed to become grandparents

• Love 2

I couldn't get into the Dallas reprise, partly because I only ever sporadically watched the original (which started when I was still in grad school), and partly because they butchered the opening title sequence.  Show needed that oomph in my opinion.

I do like H50, partly because they didn't screw up the music, partly because it is much more of an ensemble cast, and partly because it is now acceptable in 2010 for Hawaiian demographics to show, while in 1968 it wasn't.

Also, no, Supernatural will never end.

Edited by kassygreene
  • Love 4

I'm waiting for a Starsky and Hutch remake.  Huggy Bear will be played by Chris Rock, Jensen Ackles as Hutch (hey Supernatural has to end sometime), and David Schwimmer as Starsky.

The horrible movie doesn't count?

I'm just shocked they aren't trying yet another Twilight Zone or Star Trek reboot. Yet.

They won't do another Trek TV reboot until they decide to stop doing Trek movies.

As for Twilight Zone, they've tried reboots and know that people won't watch Anthology Shows anymore. At least they assumed that before cable started doing a lot of more non-broadcast-network produced risqué content. That's the only kind of anthology content that might work.

I mean unless the plan is to have Jaden play the new Carlton.  Ha! That would be rich.

I think if Jaden were given the chance to improvise freely while playing one of the snooty relatives it could be comedy gold, especially if they told him he was playing a character who says wise things that constantly changes how the characters view the world. Then he can step on stage and quote his twitter feed.

The problem isn't a lack of "original" ideas (though there's often a chance that once a show becomes a hit someone will claim they created it and the network stole it) the problem is that it's much harder to get people watch an original show... so don't forget to blame all the people who go "Mr. Robot? That's a dumb sounding name. Especially if its on USA with that Monk show."

Sorry, if they did a Dallas-style reprise of Knot's Landing, I would watch the hell out of that. I might hate-watch it but I would not miss an episode.

I'm just shocked they aren't trying yet another Twilight Zone or Star Trek reboot. Yet.

Star Trek is dead on TV until the movies die out. Still, there are occasional rumors about Bryan Singer or Bryan Fuller rebooting it. (Fuller got his start working on Voyager and will talk about his interest.)

There was a Twilight Zone reboot on UPN and it was pretty good for what it was, better than the neutered 80s version. It might be too soon to try again. However, there was a pilot for a Tales from the Darkside reboot, except this one had a recurring character who wasn't a narrator. IIRC, an article said the pilot was rejected because the producers couldn't give The CW a good explanation of how the anthology/recurring character mix would work long term, so good on them for actually thinking about that.

I don't get why ABC is re-adapting Uncle Buck. Do many people remember the original movie at this point? If the point of a remake is that audiences are already sold on the concept, it's silly to pick something that's been forgotten. Then again a Man from UNCLE movie is opening this weekend.

One reboot I'm hoping will happen is Norman Lear's All That Glitters, a comedy soap set in a world where gender roles were reversed. I wouldn't mind if some of TV's more spectacular failures got a second chance this way, at least the ones that sounded like they could have been interesting but didn't work out.

• Love 1

I guess the news (excuse?  damage control?) that it's not ACTUALLY a Fresh Prince reboot  missed the news cycle a bit, since there are hilarious pieces like this out there.

We're Only Watching A 'Fresh Prince' Reboot If Jaden Smith Is The Star
In West Philadelphia, born and raised where the space and time continuum exists and we are mere mortals looking at trees ...

(yes, that's sarcasm--if you read the actual article that becomes clear)

In other news, the most irritating kids on the planet are in Dubai right now. 'Cause that's just LIKE West Philadelphia!: http://www.timeoutdubai.com/gallery/65538-jaden-and-willow-smith-in-dubai

Dallas wasn't a reboot, as in taking the plot or setting and making a entire new fictional history, It was picking up the story years in the future with Bobby and JR primed to become grandparents

I think I read from Wikipedia that TNT Dallas was more of a continuation of the story, in other words. 

In my opinion, both the remakes of Dallas and Hawaii Five-O (today's version called Hawaii Five-0; notice the difference) are far inferior to the original-recipe versions of those same shows.

No. What's the difference ?

• Love 1

Difference is in the titles; the 1968 one was popularly known as Hawaii Five-O (the letter O), whereas today's is Hawaii Five-0 (the number 0).

According to the showrunners, the current show's title ending in the number zero, instead of a capital letter O as in the original, has to do with Internet searches (as in keeping the 2 shows as separate as possible in them, so people find the information they want about the right show).

But that doesn't help when some people who write about it never saw the press release CBS actually issued before the S1 premiere explaining the new show's "Five-0" stood for the number 50 (Hawaii being the 50th state, which explains the name of the task force/state police unit), unlike the original's "Five-O" (where the capital letter "O" really makes no sense since it doesn't "tie into" Hawaii at all), or they just didn't read it, forgot it was even released, or they don't give a shit about being accurate & just put a capital O in the new show's title out of laziness or habit, resulting in some Internet search entries (& some DVD listings at, for example, Amazon.com & Barnes & Noble), for the new show getting mixed up with Internet (& DVD) listings for the original.

Here's a link to a TV blog post from the Los Angeles Times, from back before the beginning of S1, which explains the "zero vs. capital O in the title" thing very well. Y'all really should read it if you're interested in this "zero vs. capital O" thing.

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/showtracker/2010/07/cbs-explains-why-it-likes-numbers-more-than-letters.html

As for the recent Dallas continuation, its last season (S3) did use main titles which copied the "3-photo panels of each main cast member" style from the original show. But that was the only season that did; it would've been better if they'd had them from the get-go, in my opinion, since everything else about the main titles & the theme music were almost perfect copies of those used in the original show.

• Love 2

As for the recent Dallas continuation, its last season (S3) did use main titles which copied the "3-photo panels of each main cast member" style from the original show. But that was the only season that did; it would've been better if they'd had them from the get-go, in my opinion, since everything else about the main titles & the theme music were almost perfect copies of those used in the original show.

What kind of idiots would have something as iconic as those classic opening credits and NOT use them?

What is that quote attributed to Mark Twain "there's no such thing as a new idea..."  Wax Lion has already laid out the reasons why this is happening.  So many stories have ben told a thousand times.  Whether or not they're enjoyable often rests with the execution.  You might get the US version of Coupling or you get the US version of The Office. (Personally, I still prefer the UK version but I think the US version earned its right to exist.)

The concept can get eye rolling, but it also seems unstoppable.

It will probably always happen because it has always happened but I suspect if there are a lot of flops, there will be a slowdown in reboot/continuation fever.  I think my biggest head scratch is what shows are getting the reboot/continuation treatment.  Take Fresh Prince With Bel Air, I believe I read that the Nick At Nite reruns of that show do pretty well in the ratings.  So to me, it makes sense that someone would start discussing a potential reboot of that show.

But when it comes to shows like Coach, who I don't think airs reruns anymore, I am more baffled.

The thing that upsets me the most is that there have only been rumors, but not action, on the reboot I want the most--the original Law & Order. You would think 465 episodes would be enough but it's not.  I think I've seen every one at least three times.  I need more.

What kind of idiots would have something as iconic as those classic opening credits and NOT use them?

You've got me. I was (am?) a huge Dallas fan--watched the entire original series, the subsequent TV movies, & all 3 seasons of the continuation series that ran on TNT. Like I said in my previous post, everything else in the main titles of the TNT continuation was as close as they could get it to the original CBS main titles (the DALLAS logo & the main title theme, & I think there were also shots of famous Dallas sights, like either the actual Cowboys football field--which was used in the original show--or at least the new stadium the Cowboys use [which has another name besides Cowboys Stadium now, as I remember; I just don't remember the new name]), interspersed with the lead actors' main title credits.

But the first 2 seasons of the TNT show used credits with a single picture/screen grab of the actors from an episode, with a font for their names that didn't even match the 1 in the original series, not the original. They had all those original eps to copy the main titles from; how did they manage to copy everything about them *but* the actors' credits in time for the start of S1? I don't buy it could take until S3 for someone to recreate the triple photo panel opening from the original. They could've used all 3 pics of each actor, at least for S1's credits if not every season's, from the Pilot/the same episode; it's not like they needed 3 different eps to get the pics. Sigh...

I don't like reboots at all. The final X Files episodes were deplorable to me, and got me put in "time out" at the other place for my comments because I wasn't all "lurve"! I like subsequent movie, and both GA and DD have said consistently for years that they were open to *continuing* the story. So I wouldn't call XF as an actual reboot. Plus, they're only putting out 6 episodes. 

Reboots are lazy. They want to cash in on the known property, e.g., Kirk and Spock, but don't want to have to deal with all the canon and everything that fans liked when the original property was active. Because they don't care about that history that's been built up before it and the culture of the show. It's condescending, insulting, and weak. As much as the Star Wars prequels weren't good, and it's not that fair that the EU has been wiped out, at least, the main trilogy is about moving forward.

• Love 2

The sad thing is - there are a few reboots that would make total sense or not even a reboot but a continuation of the series, but  we'll never see them. 

The Cosby Show + A Different World. 
at the end of both shows, Denise & Whitley were pregnant and their kids would be 1 year apart. They could have done (easily) A Different World with their two kids. But no network would touch that with a 10 foot pole (and rightfully so)

I would kill for another Star Trek series (doesn't even have to be a reboot). (but then I didn't like Voyager, hated Enterprise, and hate the rebooted movies, so b careful what I wish for there). the Xena reboot makes me v. nervous. Actually, I kinda wish that it would be on HBO or on Starz. i mean the show got so dark and sensual all of that on cable teevee but i feel they could  really go there on a HBO-style. 

and as someone said - as much as it's tiresome... it's a guaranteed market for whomever loved the show. (which comes with a lot of risk because if it's not good, you insta-lose them)

• Love 1

They aren't making reboots for people who loved the show though. They're just cashing in on the name to reach the widest audience possible. They'll throw some bones to the actual fans, but that's it.

I'm not a die hard ST fan, but the movies are just typical pg-13 action movies. It's a real shame because with minimal effort you could make a good Star Trek movie that everyone could like. It's been done before. 

I'm more of a fan of Terminator, and only the series really captured the what the movie was all about. 

• Love 2

They are rebooting Xena?  I thought everyone involved in that show was related/ran the same production company and all busy with bringing Evil Dead to TV.  I guess they can multi task.

That was supposedly just a rumor/wishful thinking.  Lucy Lawless herself debunked it a month or so ago when she said, in effect, "It would be great, and I'd certainly be on board with it, but it's not going to happen."

That was supposedly just a rumor/wishful thinking.  Lucy Lawless herself debunked it a month or so ago when she said, in effect, "It would be great, and I'd certainly be on board with it, but it's not going to happen."

NBC confirmed it a few days ago.  And like usual an NBC exec came across like an idiot in doing so.  Greenblat (NBC exec) “We’d love to have Lucy be a part of it — if we felt that her presence didn’t overshadow the direction we take with it. I’m not sure how she could be part of it if she wasn’t playing Xena, and I don’t know if that’s a direction we’ll ever go.”

That has got to be the weirdest statement from an exec about the former star married to the exec producer attached to a reboot he wants to do.

http://www.geek.com/news/xena-warrior-princess-reboot-confirmed-by-nbc-1631117/

Edited by ParadoxLost

Seriously. And I was actually a fan. PB Season 3 kinda sucked (but it had its moments), but Season 4 sucked HARD. I think they could do another show with the same concept and a new cast; but bringing back the original cast to continue the story -- Ugh --they should let it go. (Plus, the producers already did their continuation with the DVD movie and, to a lesser extent, Breakout Kings.)

----

What went wrong with the Charlie's Angels reboot? In theory, a show about a trio of smart, sexy secret agents should be a hit.

-----

You know what they should reboot? ReBoot.

Edited by Trini
  • Love 2

I loved the return of The Comeback though. I think I'd bee much more in favor of tv show revivals/reboots if they bring back shows that were cancelled too early rather than shows that were on until the fell apart. I'd love for them to bring back Carnivale, Enlightened, Firefly, Dead Like Me, Wonderfalls and so on...

This is what I don't understand either. I mean, I loved the X-files back in the day, but the show ran it's course, told it's story and piddled out. Why reboot it now when there are so many shows that were cancelled early that would work so well now that the TV climate has changed? It seems like they're kinda beating a dead horse to death with many of these reboots.

That being said, I'm sure I'll be watching the X-files reboot--not only watching, but tapping my fingers impatiently for it.

To be fair, the last X Files movie did fairly well, and both actors have been very open to continuing the story. X Files isn't actually a reboot. They're continuing the show universe, and all the tv show, movies, are canon. It's the same actors playing the characters at the their age. The Terminator tv show wasn't a reboot, they actually addressed the death of Sarah Connor in T3 and made the show work around that in a fairly palatable manner that it was so much more of a continuation of the franchise than any of the movies.

A reboot, again, sorry, is like Star Trek, where iconic characters like Kirk, Spock, Bones, McCoy, are recast and asked to just deliver the stock tropes that everyone knows without regard to what went before. Star Wars isn't a reboot because it's the same characters decades later. The Spiderman movies are deplorable in terms of reboots. Please ignore the 15 movies that came out over the last 5 years about some white guy playing a teenager, and watch this movie about a white guy who is in his late 20s playing a teenager.

(Plus, the producers already did their continuation with the DVD movie and, to a lesser extent, Breakout Kings.)

Breakout Kings was *good*. 

The issue is, what's a reboot? Because the Bond movies are essentially reboots. The Bourne films are reboots. But both of them aren't. I think it's the property versus the concept. Or something iconic. Modern Star Trek is lame. Taking a known commodity and slapping known names just to make a pg 13 movie is what they do now.

But something like Prison Break, now that I think about it. The show is about a ridiculous prison break. It doesn't have to be the same premise as the original show. It's about a convoluted plot to break out of prison. Why not have fun with that? 

I wouldn't call the new Walking Dead show a reboot. I'd call it kind of a weak effort on the network's part to deliver original content so the leaned on their most popular property instead of developing something new.  

What went wrong with the Charlie's Angels reboot? In theory, a show about a trio of smart, sexy secret agents should be a hit.

It's only been about 4 years, but I really don't remember many specifics about the CA reboot other than the overly dark, gritty tone of what should have been a fun series. From what I recall, they saddled the Angels with angsty "bad girls trying to turn their lives around" backstories rather than having them be good cops who wanted more adventurous careers than the police force was offering. The dark backstories proved to be a bit too much of a challenge for the actresses (and writers, to be fair) to pull off, IMHO. They also changed Bosley from a benign helpful Alfred-type figure into a younger hottie with a dark agenda of his own. The show took itself far too seriously, getting convoluted and bogged down in unneeded twists and turns. It lost all sense of lightness and fun and quickly became a downer to watch. It was pretty much a mercy-killing when it was cancelled.

• Love 1

"One Day At A Time" seems like a really stupid unnecessary reboot for sure.  Making it Latino?  I see what he intends there, but really you wind up asking "Why LABEL it One Day At A Time" then?  Single parent raising two girls is not juicy or unique material, even adding the ethnic angle.  I say do the project, drop the pretense that it's a reboot.

"Good Times" is one of the very few that actually is not inherently a terrible idea. Why? Because the subject matter of the show (a poor black family struggling in the projects) is actually still just as relevant now as it was then.  Again, not unique, but the link back to the original makes sense in a "look, nothing has changed" social commentary way.  Add in contemporary elements from the past 2-3 years about how black people actually now fear for their freaking lives in those neighborhoods--not JUST from the neighborhood thugs but from the cops--and you've got something very powerful.  I actually might approve of this one.

• Love 2
Norman Lear talks One Day at a Time, Good Times reboots:

Really?  I thought he was dead.

Honestly, if someone thinks you're dead and can't think of one nice thing to say about your shows, then maybe they shouldn't be rebooted.

• Love 1

The issue is, what's a reboot? 

To me, a reboot is taking a show, that for whatever reason, went away and years later trying to start the show again. Doesn't have to be the exact same characters, in my mind, just the same basic premise set in the same universe. I don't consider adapting a movie to TV a reboot as much as an adaptation. Maybe I'm being too narrow here, but they are different formats and it seems that's more about franchising than an individual project.

For instance, to me, Doctor Who was a reboot in 2005. The show went away for a long period of time and came back with the same basic premise--adventures through time and space with the Doctor and his various companions. The X-files sounds like to me to be a reboot. Star Trek The Next Generation, in my mind, was a reboot, but I don't consider DS9, Voyager or Enterprise reboots because they were on while the other shows are airing or at least right on the heels of the the shows.

The difference between a reboot and a remake, for me, is a remake would take the same basic characters and telling the same basic story again, but in a slightly different setting or universe. For instance, Gracepoint was a remake of Broadchurch. I consider Elementary a remake, not a reboot. 

• Love 1

I would so, so love to see Star Trek back on tv. When I saw the last movie, with the ridiculously ham-handed US foreign policy metaphor, I thought that idea might actually be interesting if, like the show, they were willing to talk more and blow up less. Unfortunately, they've backed themselves into a corner because I doubt it's financially possible to have fairly big stars like the movie cast in a weekly series. Oh well. 

I also wonder about rebooting or continuing shows like Buffy, for example, that went downhill rather badly in the final seasons. Doesn't that say something about the creative potential of a reboot if they seemed to have run out of stories to tell in the original version? 

All that being said, if anyone knows of a movement to reboot Quantum Leap or Dead Like Me, I am so there!

• Love 1

"One Day At A Time" seems like a really stupid unnecessary reboot for sure.  Making it Latino?  I see what he intends there, but really you wind up asking "Why LABEL it One Day At A Time" then?  Single parent raising two girls is not juicy or unique material, even adding the ethnic angle.  I say do the project, drop the pretense that it's a reboot.

"Good Times" is one of the very few that actually is not inherently a terrible idea. Why? Because the subject matter of the show (a poor black family struggling in the projects) is actually still just as relevant now as it was then.  Again, not unique, but the link back to the original makes sense in a "look, nothing has changed" social commentary way.  Add in contemporary elements from the past 2-3 years about how black people actually now fear for their freaking lives in those neighborhoods--not JUST from the neighborhood thugs but from the cops--and you've got something very powerful.  I actually might approve of this one.

Got to agree with you here. The big deal with One Day At A Time beyond Ms. Romano was actually divorced, even if Vivian was on The Lucy Show was the "M.S". and dropping her husband's name political statement

To me, a reboot is taking a show, that for whatever reason, went away and years later trying to start the show again. Doesn't have to be the exact same characters, in my mind, just the same basic premise set in the same universe

I think the difference I see is the same Universe statement. The Chris Pine, Star Trek sweeps away the universe of the William Shatner, Patrick Stewart Star Trek, those reboots or resets by getting rid of a history the new producers no longer have to take into account squarely saying another universe in some kind of quantum path. That they took all that and made a second movie built on Commander Spock screaming "Khaaaan" instead of Captain Kirk, oh well.

I also wonder about rebooting or continuing shows like Buffy, for example, that went downhill rather badly in the final seasons. Doesn't that say something about the creative potential of a reboot if they seemed to have run out of stories to tell in the original version? 

The big question from Buffyverse was that I was left with the impression Angel lost and it was all over even if his gang went down fighting

• Love 1

Really? I thought he was dead.

Honestly, if someone thinks you're dead and

can't think of one nice thing to say about your

shows, then maybe they shouldn't be

rebooted.

It wasn't everyone's cup of tea, but I thought " All in the Family" was pretty groundbreaking.

• Love 3

To me it's:

Reboot: same premise, same name usually (or a close variant), mostly the same characters, new actors and a "reset" button pressed.

Remake: very similar to the above, but as a few have said we have variants crossing International lines and in that case a lot of the cultural context can change.

Continuation: self-explanatory

Sequel: also self-explanatory (and CAN have some of the same characters--but typically won't have the same protagonist)

A show like the new "Coach" defies easy categorization, because according to the premise we've heard, if there's a continuation aspect, it's also going to be a completely new setting. So a sequel, but with the same main character. Actually I'd thought they might have had the guts to do the full "Lou Grant" on it, but I also hear now that the character of Dauber is coming back too. 

Speaking of Lou Grant, I don't even know what to call that one (and "Trapper John MD" as well). They're basically alternate universe uses of the same characters, but with nothing else in common.

• Love 2

I think the difference I see is the same Universe statement. The Chris Pine, Star Trek sweeps away the universe of the William Shatner, Patrick Stewart Star Trek, those reboots or resets by getting rid of a history the new producers no longer have to take into account squarely saying another universe in some kind of quantum path. That they took all that and made a second movie built on Commander Spock screaming "Khaaaan" instead of Captain Kirk, oh well.

I'd call the "new" Trek movies remakes and not reboots. As I said above, I consider a remake as taking the same characters and same basic premise and sets in a slightly altered universe. 

The X-files final couple seasons went downhill too, IMO, but they got a reboot. It seems, nothing is out of the realm of possibility. That's  why I was wonder why anyone would reboot a show that had run out of steam and told it's story when there are lots of other shows out there who were just getting started? I mean, I get it, it's easier to get people to watch it again for nostalgia and...money. I just think it's a shame is all.

"One Day At A Time" seems like a really stupid unnecessary reboot for sure.  Making it Latino?  I see what he intends there, but really you wind up asking "Why LABEL it One Day At A Time" then?  Single parent raising two girls is not juicy or unique material, even adding the ethnic angle.

I agree.  Seeing Ann Romano as a divorced mother raising her daughters alone and taking back her maiden name (not every divorcee did that - they often kept their married names unless they remarried) was a unique premise for TV at the time.  Today, no big deal.  Making the characters Hispanic doesn't add much - unless the audience is supposed to act shocked that whites aren't the only ones to get divorced.  These and other reboots/remakes exist for two reasons:

• It's a familiar brand to a certain generation of people - therefore there's a built in audience they hope to tap.

• There's a dearth originality in Hollywood and they're afraid of getting creative people who might actually make something good.

As for the Good Times reboot, I call BS.  Things have changed since James and Florida Evans lived in the Chicago projects in the 60s-70s (I'm assuming they moved there in the late 60s when their oldest children were young and the project buildings fairly new).  Today, the Evans' could get Section 8 housing and relocate to the suburbs.  They get welfare and other subsidies (EBT) if they weren't working.  There is "Affirmative Action" hiring and promotions if they were.  What might work would be if the show was reset to the 50s-60s when the projects were new and civil rights era was just beginning.  At least then there was a challenge.  Or perhaps how hard it is to leave the ghetto life behind despite moving to a better neighborhood.  

I consider Elementary a remake, not a reboot.

I prefer to think of it as a reimagining (some may say I'm splitting hairs).  It's the Holmes we've always known but in a modern American setting with a female Watson.  It's in its own universe as much as any other version of Sherlock Holmes since he first was adapted to the big screen/TV.  One thing I always liked about the character is that he can be dropped into virtually any time period between the 1880s and the present.

James Bond is a bit like this - even though many films retained the same actors (Q, M, Miss Munnypenny) well into the 1980s/early 90s while the Bonds periodically changed.  They too, seem to operate in their own universe - unless we find out Bonds are retired and are replaced but keep the 007 moniker.  I always liked the idea of an island of former "James Bonds" who live quiet retirements when they age out of their spy games. 

Star Trek The Next Generation, in my mind, was a reboot

That was more of a continuation of Roddenberry's original show right?  A reboot would have been starting from scratch or pretending the old show and its events never existed.  DS9 et al were all spinoffs so they were all part of that same universe.

I don't mind the occasional continuation of a good show if it's true to the spirit of the original. - but can still have enough room to move into new territory.  This is especially true of shows in which there were limits due to SFX or public mores making certain situations unacceptable to viewers.   If surviving members of the original cast are willing to make a glorified cameo to help bridge the gap between the shows, all the better.  

ETA:

After seeing the link to possible rebooted shows, I have to say Ike the idea of rebooting:

Greatest American Hero – as with the original, part of the fun was watching Ralph Hinkley try to master the suit’s powers on the fly (literally!).  However, eventually, he should be better at using them as the series continues so that he lives up to the show’s title.  He never had that chance in the original.

Wonder Woman – right now, they’re unable to get the movie off the ground and the never aired David E. Kelley pilot (which should remained unaired) was NOT true to the character or premise.  They should go back to her WW2 origins and have Amazon Diana Prince be sent to help stop the Nazi hordes.  When the war is won, they could update it – but I always thought the 70s series was best when it took place in the 40s.

The Avengers – I loved this series (the Diana Rigg years IMO were the most fun) and I’d love to see it again – as long as it’s still set in swinging 60s London.  Maybe it could be an alt universe in which it’s the 60s but has modern tech (a “retro universe”) with Diana Rigg playing “Mother” occasionally.

Buck Rogers – I loved this show as a kid and it could still work today – just so that the future doesn’t look too 70s ;o)

The Rockford Files – this could work – especially with Tony Dennison as Rockford.  But you need a cracker jack team of writers.

In the “Thanks but No-Thanks” column:

The Flintstones – When Seth McFarland announced he was going to try it, the negative reaction was staggering!  I’m in that camp since most people know how raunchy McFarland can be.  Even though the show was revived in one format or another on TV over the years, most people don’t trust him or anyone to do it justice.

Little House – the original was OK, but became far too anachronistic as it went on.  It bore little resemblance to the books it was based on.  It might as well have been just another western/family show.  PBS aired a more faithful version in a mini series format which served the source material far better.

Golden Girls – Isn’t that was “Hot In Cleveland” was?

Love Boat – the premise was a bit fluffy – but it was the 70s.  Like Charlies Angels, I don’t think it could work anymore.

M*A*S*H – would it be set during the Korean War again?  In which case, will it end after 3 years?  Or will it be a modern day unit?  Maybe it would be better served as a miniseries.

Thundercats – they tried a few years ago.  It had promise, but they frittered it away and CN cancelled it soon after.

These I’d prefer a TV movie or minseries to close some loose ends:

Angel – WTF happened?

Quantum Leap – WTF happened?  Don’t give me that crap about Sam never going home again!  If they reboot it completely, then I wouldn’t mind seeing a miniseries to test the waters.

The Adventures of Brisco County Jr. - I'd love to see what happened to Brisco after all these years.  If we go by real time (and bring back Bruce Campbell) it's set post WWI SF. 

Edited by magicdog
  • Love 2

My definitions are

Continuation: Same universe, same (basic) premise, different characters (usually), but original series characters can turn up and original series plots can be referenced. I would call the Star Trek tv shows after the Original Series continuations. 

Remake: Same characters, same premise, same setting, different actors. Usually follows the general plot for the first few episodes to full season before going off in its own direction. Usually these are shows that were originally popular in other countries like Ugly Betty, The Office or Being Human. I can't think of any examples off the top of my head, but I think remakes could also make sense for shows that were cancelled before their time or are too outdated to be enjoyable. 

Reboot: Same starting point, some of the same characters, different actors. Most importantly, something big happens to set it apart from the original, like blowing up Vulcan and starting a whole different time-line in the Star Trek movies. I think TBTB like this best because they have a built-in audience of fans of the original, but can pretty much do what they want from that point (and I can't totally blame them for that, we fans are sticklers for detail and continuity which must make writing a lot trickier).

One thing I can't quite define in my own head is the difference between a continuation and a spin-off. Any ideas?