Type keyword(s) to search

F-U, Reboot-Mania: Express Your Hate Here

• Start Topic

On ‎6‎/‎3‎/‎2017 at 4:17 PM, Lord Donia said:

On the non-hate side, I'd love to see short, one time continuation seasons for Everwood and Joan of Arcadia. Let's see what's up with all those peeps.

Still pretending that Jason Ritter is playing Kevin Gerardi in the Gospel of Kevin next season.  Probably closest thing there will ever be to a continuation of Joan of Arcadia.

• Love 1
On 5/25/2017 at 3:46 AM, nosleepforme said:

Generally, I'm also more sceptical of continuations that decide to just ignore or undo plots from the original series. 

Didn't Dallas on TNT (2012-2014) do that-- undo a lot of the plots from the original-recipe 1978-91 CBS series?

(edited)

I hate reboots because the represent lack of imagination on the audience's part, George Lucas-style poor judgement by the creators of these shows, and network desperation.

I really think some of my friends have so little imagination when it comes to TV and books that they want a show that lasts until the characters all die of old age.

And yet, when they announce another Psych episode and I'm planning a day off to watch.

If they've got to do it, why can't they just stick with shows that were poorly done the first time around? Not like Cupid which was great but a ratings bomb, but like Cop Rock, The Class or Off the Map.

I just saw that a Northern Exposure reboot or reunion is being discussed

Edited by LJonEarth
  • Love 2
On 5/22/2017 at 4:55 PM, Kromm said:

Do we even call it a reboot? It sounds more like a continuation.

Then again, if they do a Dallas/Bobby in the Shower thing and remove the whole last season, what do we call THAT when it happens so many years later? A semi-continuation/semi-reboot?

I think retcon works pretty well -- retroactive continuity.  They do it on soaps all the time.  

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Retroactive_continuity

I am willing to give Battle of the Network Stars a chance.   It might not technically be a reboot, but they are bringing it back.    As long as they don't make it "grittier" and "darker", two words I never want to see again, I am okay with it.   

3 hours ago, merylinkid said:

I am willing to give Battle of the Network Stars a chance.   It might not technically be a reboot, but they are bringing it back.    As long as they don't make it "grittier" and "darker", two words I never want to see again, I am okay with it.   

I didn't read the article, but if ❤️?❤️Mark Harmon❤️?❤️is also going to participate, THEN I'll watch!!?

What?

4 hours ago, merylinkid said:

Battle of the Network Stars is coming back!? When? That's awesome.

• Love 1
On 5/13/2017 at 10:53 AM, nosleepforme said:

It's like they have learned nothing from their 90210 and Melrose Place reboots.

Oh, silly, networks never learn a thing.

90210 was so close to having moments where it could have been good, and they just kept screwing up. (The Teddy storyline being the biggest example.) The biggest problem with Melrose Place is that they were seriously boring people and it had an ill-advised  murder mystery.

2 hours ago, methodwriter85 said:

Oh, silly, networks never learn a thing.

90210 was so close to having moments where it could have been good, and they just kept screwing up. (The Teddy storyline being the biggest example.) The biggest problem with Melrose Place is that they were seriously boring people and it had an ill-advised  murder mystery.

That might be the only thing networks have learned besides making everything grittier and darker: there is always, always a murder mystery even in reboots. I'll be glad when they find a new shiny object to chase.

(edited)
4 hours ago, CoderLady said:

That might be the only thing networks have learned besides making everything grittier and darker: there is always, always a murder mystery even in reboots. I'll be glad when they find a new shiny object to chase.

Yeah, if you go by the Dynasty trailer, they seemed to have turned Krstyle/Cristal into a shady character. I'm a sure a mystery will pop up.

Now that's it's over and done with, my biggest frustration with Girl Meets World is that they took themselves way too damn seriously. It's like the show could know how to be funny, but they couldn't just let this be a fun tween sitcom like the original was until Shawn nearly landed himself in a cult. It felt like every other episode was about what a deep, abiding friendship Riley and Maya had, and how much angst you feel when you get older. And then they would try to cram in these "history" lessons that were insanely watered down because Disney doesn't allow people to talk about things like slavery or the Pol-Pot massacre.

I will say this about the Full House reboot- they know what people wanted and they also knew how to update the show without alienating the people that wanted a cheesy fun sitcom. That's why the show works.

Edited by methodwriter85
  • Love 4
(edited)

Reading that they are talking about maybe getting a fourth season for Hannibal (whose ending I thought was perfect), I was thinking that none of the reboots I have seen or tried watching were really worth the hoopla.

Prison Break was not very good IMO, Gilmore Girls was quite terrible, X-files was meh to bad (with some scenes here and there that I loved). I thought, this is what we should have learned from Pet Sematary.

Reviving something that's dead and gone is just not creating an actually good show, is it? Just a shell of its former self. Some resemblance but it's just not the same. Why can't networks (and fans) not understand that? It's not like there is nothing else to watch these days. Why do we have to drag these zombies back from the grave?

I understand if a show was canceled in the middle of an unresolved plot line or cliffhanger. Give people an ending. But that's the operative word. An ending.

Edited by supposebly
letters are important for grammar
  • Love 2
1 hour ago, supposebly said:

Reviving something that's dead and gone is just not creating an actually good show, is it? Just a shell of its former self. Some resemblance but it's just not the same. Why can't networks (and fans) not understand that? It's not like there is nothing else to watch these days. Why do we have to drag these zombies back from the grave?

If people understood this, then no one would have sex with their ex.

• Love 9
(edited)

Here's a pitch: The Flintstones, in space, but as a live-action sitcom!

Oh, nevermind...

Live-Action Jetsons Series Orbiting Warner Bros., Robert Zemeckis to EP (TVLine)

Warner Bros. is angling to reintroduce TV audiences to George Jetson, albeit with a substantial twist.

TVLine has learned exclusively that the studio is developing The Jetsons, a live-action sitcom remake of Hanna-Barbera’s beloved ’60s animated series about a family residing in the futuristic, outer-space utopia known as Orbit City.

[...S]ources confirm that the studio — which has hired Family Guy EP Gary Janetti to shepherd the potential series — will begin shopping the multi-cam project around to broadcast and cable networks in the coming weeks.

Edited by Just Here
fixed an unexpected formatting issue
(edited)
On 6/29/2017 at 5:07 PM, Just Here said:

Here's a pitch: The Flintstones, in space, but as a live-action sitcom!

Oh, nevermind...

Live-Action Jetsons Series Orbiting Warner Bros., Robert Zemeckis to EP (TVLine)

As I'm sure you realized, The Jetsons isn't even remotely related to The Flintstones in concept (in fact, The Flintstones was loosely based on The Honeymooners), although there was a rather fun crossover feature-length cartoon that was done a while back.

Edited by legaleagle53

Why do they keep adapting animated properties into live action??? 

And why do they keep bringing back properties which were brought back in previous attempts but failed ??  The 80s episodes of The Jetsons were inferior to the 60s episodes and hopelessly dated in an 80s way while the big screen adaptation chose to dump legendary voice actress Janet Waldo for 80s flash in the pan Tiffany?   Yes, I'm still bitter over it!  

• Love 1

The Munsters, Miami Vice, a live action Jetsons, and Starsky & Hutch reboots are all in the works according to Friday's Variety.

Starsky & Hutch?!  Oh he'll no!

Unless there are right pants, a cool car, chemistry, and lots of touching, it won't fly.  No one cares abt the stories, we cared abt hot guys touching each other and wild car chases.

• Love 5
22 hours ago, scriggle said:

God please no. Leave the Starsky and Hutch of my tween years alone.

I still haven't gotten over the abomination that was the S&H movie.

Yeah, I don't get this. If the reboot already failed once, why try again? It's like how they kept trying to reboot The Incredible Hulk. Neither did that well, even when they switched over to what was a supposedly new and improved movie with Edward Norton. Hitting gold like Spiderman is pretty freaking rare.

The Heathers reboot is apparently so shitty that it got turned over to Paramount T.V. from TV Land. TV Land didn't even want the show!  I feel bad for Shannon Doherty that she basically has to take what she's offered and is actually having to appear in it! Winona luckily doesn't have to touch it and she seems to be pretending it doesn't exist.

I also find the conceit of this version of Heathers- where Heather Chandler is now overweight, one a genderqueer, and the other is a black girl incredibly patronizing and missing the point. The Heathers cliche is ultimately about conformity. We're supposed to find it "edgy" that a fat girl is leading the school now? Or that the girl who is ultimately set to bring it all down still fits into the pretty, thin white girl parameters? I checked the trailer and the group didn't even have a uniform style, which again, misses the point completely about the cliche. They don't have to look like they belong to the country club, but they should all basically look like they belong together.

Sadie on Awkward made a much better "fat" Heather Chandler, if that's what they were looking for.

Thank god this will be forgotten about as fast as the Dirty Dancing remake.

• Love 2
18 minutes ago, methodwriter85 said:

Yeah, I don't get this. If the reboot already failed once, why try again?

Studios make more money off stuff they already own. 

James Gunn is doing a solid for his brother and cousin.

29 minutes ago, methodwriter85 said:

Yeah, I don't get this. If the reboot already failed once, why try again? 

That wasn't a reboot, the Starsky and Hutch movie was a spoof based on the original like Dan Aykroyd and Tom Hanks doing Dragnet. You could say the Miami Vice or SWAT movies were actually reboots. And it does seem that with a Sergeant Hondo being actually LAPD that the new SWAT is more a reboot of Samual L. Jackson than it is of Steve Forrest.

• Love 1
On 6/15/2017 at 6:41 PM, supposebly said:

If that's the case, then why is the current Five-0 still going on CBS (itself a pale shell, at least IMO, of the original-recipe 1968-80 Jack Lord Five-O), while the TNT Dallas (also a shell of the longer-lasting original-recipe one on CBS under Lorimar from 1978-91) didn't last that long (only 2012-14)?

1 hour ago, bmasters9 said:

If that's the case, then why is the current Five-0 still going on CBS (itself a pale shell, at least IMO, of the original-recipe 1968-80 Jack Lord Five-O), while the TNT Dallas (also a shell of the longer-lasting original-recipe one on CBS under Lorimar from 1978-91) didn't last that long (only 2012-14)?

For the target demographic the old Five -O is just something that spurred the 80s street name for cops and they may come with some knowledge of a theme song. Like most shows of the era the stories are too slow between action beats

• Love 1
1 hour ago, bmasters9 said:

I don't watch the current Five-0, so can't speak to that, but Dallas? That was a FUCKING INSULT to the original and not even a reboot, but a continuation 20 odd years later. The revisionist history, massacre of original characters and baaaad and horrible acting, plus turning it into a telanovella, focusing on characters who were NEVER in the original, but trying to convince me they were, instead of the original characters. ????

Bitter? Who, me? Whatever gave you that impression?

• Love 2
3 hours ago, bmasters9 said:

1 hour ago, GHScorpiosRule said:

I don't watch the current Five-0, so can't speak to that, but Dallas? That was a FUCKING INSULT to the original and not even a reboot, but a continuation 20 odd years later. The revisionist history, massacre of original characters and baaaad and horrible acting, plus turning it into a telanovella, focusing on characters who were NEVER in the original, but trying to convince me they were, instead of the original characters. ????

Bitter? Who, me? Whatever gave you that impression?

I think it's all about the theme music.  The original Dallas theme was fun, cheesy, 80's hair and shoulder pads, with watchable clips moving across the screen.  The theme for the revival was I believe a good fifteen minutes shorter (I jest, it was only about five minutes shorter), and visually BOOOORRRRRING.  Whereas H50 did cut the theme down from sixty to thirty seconds, but after an apparent flirtation with some acoustic guitar nonsense they went and spent the money to produce a major piece with a whole lot of musicians, at least three of whom recorded the original track in 1968 were returning for 2010 (somewhere on the CBS website there is a BTS of that recording session, as well as the 90 second version of the theme).

So yeah, obviously it's the theme music!  Although I agree that Dallas was an insult to the original, and also suffered from having both of the young male leads look too much alike (the characters were first cousins but one of them was adopted) as well as the two young female leads looking alike and acting alike (I could never figure out which one was supposed to be the villain).  Not that I gave it that much of a chance, I think I made it twenty minutes into the pilot.

• Love 3

I like the latest 5-0.  Jack Lord was an arrogant ass, tho James MacArthur was hot.

There are a lot of references to the original and it's TONS more respectful to Polynesian culture.  

Of course, Steve & Danny are very much the Starsky & Hutch (ie borderline slash) of this time era, but w/more bickering and less tighter pants.

Edited by roamyn
  • Love 3
9 hours ago, bmasters9 said:

I believe my post was about reboots/continuation/revivals, whatever the correct term is, with the original cast, showrunner, such as X-files and its ilk. But I also believe that reboots like Five-O are probably successful because barely anyone watching now remembers much if anything of the original. Although, I really don't know why people watch that show. I lasted about 3 episodes. So boring.

And even then, I believe new Lethal Weapon or new McGyver did not last very long. I believe the originals aired around the same decade? At least the original hair seems to suggest so.

There was some talk about an Alias reboot at some point and new cast or not, I would not want that either. Too soon for me.

• Love 1
13 minutes ago, supposebly said:

I believe my post was about reboots/continuation/revivals, whatever the correct term is, with the original cast, showrunner, such as X-files and its ilk. But I also believe that reboots like Five-O are probably successful because barely anyone watching now remembers much if anything of the original. Although, I really don't know why people watch that show. I lasted about 3 episodes. So boring.

And even then, I believe new Lethal Weapon or new McGyver did not last very long. I believe the originals aired around the same decade? At least the original hair seems to suggest so.

The fake MacGyver was renewed for some God awful reason, because the fake Mac has ZERO life experience to draw upon and is barely out if high school, and the fake Murdoch - from what I could tell - is a bland baddie and nothing like the over-the-top evil with flair of Michael DesBarres.

• Love 2
18 minutes ago, supposebly said:

There was some talk about an Alias reboot at some point and new cast or not, I would not want that either. Too soon for me.

Lethal Weapon is renewed for a second season and every time I turn around they are showing reruns.  I just think for whatever reason their original order was short.  Probably Fox's weird mid season scheduling.  This season they have a full order.  It was FOXs best performing new show last year although it was not a good year for them for new shows.

• Love 2
26 minutes ago, supposebly said:

Both the MacGyver and the Lethal Weapon reboots are still on; I seem to recall that both were renewed early: full season pickups for both series in October, with renewal for LW in February and Mac in March.

I treat LW as somewhat campy dramedy, with each episode having at least one callback to the movies, but MacGyver is just (IMO) dreck.  Knowing that they remade and recast just about everything and everyone at least once and therefore "improved" the thing to the mess that aired, MacGyver became the first (and only) series I cancelled last season.

• Love 3
20 minutes ago, kassygreene said:

Both the MacGyver and the Lethal Weapon reboots are still on; I seem to recall that both were renewed early: full season pickups for both series in October, with renewal for LW in February and Mac in March.

Huh. I guess, I really shouldn't make assumption because I couldn't get through even one episode. Somehow in my mind that translated into cancellation. Wishful thinking, I guess. Oh, well some people will watch anything.

Which, I think brings me back to my point. Reboots, rarely of good quality.

4 hours ago, ParadoxLost said:

Lethal Weapon is renewed for a second season and every time I turn around they are showing reruns.  I just think for whatever reason their original order was short. 

They did 18 episodes which FOX called "a full season."  I suspect it might have had to do with the fact that it was sharing the time slot with Star.

I actually think Lethal Weapon is a pretty good cop show.  I think it helps that it's an adaptation of a movie series over a TV series but they did pretty well capturing the personality of the movies with casting, chemistry and the mix of pathos, action and comedy. 

3 hours ago, supposebly said:

Which, I think brings me back to my point. Reboots, rarely of good quality.

Here's my hot take:  That's true of so many TV shows, not just reboots.  Just think of how many watchable new shows come out of all the new content produced each year.  Percentages are pretty low.

• Love 7
5 hours ago, Irlandesa said:

Here's my hot take:  That's true of so many TV shows, not just reboots.  Just think of how many watchable new shows come out of all the new content produced each year.  Percentages are pretty low.

This is a good point.

However, to take a show that had already proven itself and was a hit, then to flop the reboot, could that be considered worse than any new original that failed?

After all, your taking a proven product (I.e. Coke) and running the brand into the ground (I.e. New Coke).

• Love 1
16 hours ago, roamyn said:

I like the latest 5-0.  Jack Lord was an arrogant ass, tho James MacArthur was hot.

There are a lot of references to the original and it's TONS more respectful to Polynesian culture.  

Of course, Steve & Danny are very much the Starsky & Hutch (ie borderline slash) of this time era, but w/more bickering and less tighter pants.

I see the 5-0 reboot much like I saw Miami Vice back in the day. A ground breaking first season but then they couldn't keep it up. Things like McGarrett's inventive enhanced interrogations became just beating a little less intense than the Chicago PD torture squad But still you had the occasional flash of brilliance

13 hours ago, supposebly said:

You may be mistaking Lethal Weapon with Rush Hour the year before or Training Day when Bill Paxton died after a half season worth of shows were produced. I don't get the survival of MacGyver but then I also don't get the survival of an original like Scorpion which seems to be in the same house tone wise. 

Edited by Raja
  • Love 3
15 hours ago, supposebly said:

That is true, at least for MacGyver-- the original-recipe one w/Richard Dean Anderson in the title role was on ABC from 1985-92.

11 hours ago, Irlandesa said:

Here's my hot take:  That's true of so many TV shows, not just reboots. 

The networks try to cash in on reboots because they have an existing cache. But that's also a burden too because viewers have very particular expectations. I'd rather watch a new show and are more willing to give it a chance than a reboot which I nearly always pass on. 

While the percentage of watchable shows is low, I'd say the number is as high as it's ever been. There's usually something new that I'm interested in checkout out year round now. I mean, I haven't even been able to finish Orphan Black yet. 

• Love 1
3 hours ago, Raja said:

You may be mistaking Lethal Weapon with Rush Hour the year before or Training Day when Bill Paxton died after a half season worth of shows were produced. I don't get the survival of MacGyver but then I also don't get the survival of an original like Scorpion which seems to be in the same house tone wise.

Wow, so many remakes/reboots! I had no idea they tried it with Training Day and Rush Hour! Scorpion? Is that a remake of something I never heard of? I want to know more about it? Probably not. Anyway, sorry for my confusion. 

The last one of those cop buddy shows I actually enjoyed was Common Law five years ago and that got canceled after one season. 

I only looked into Lethal Weapon because Clayne Crawford impressed me on Leverage. Not so much here. I  also popped by to check out McGyver because my teenage self had a crush on Richard Dean Anderson and I hoped he might drop by. I gave up after about 15 minutes. I have no time and too long of a Netflix list to spend it on something like that.

I guess Network TV is kinda dead to me.

2 minutes ago, supposebly said:

Wow, so many remakes/reboots! I had no idea they tried it with Training Day and Rush Hour! Scorpion? Is that a remake of something I never heard of? I want to know more about it? Probably not. Anyway, sorry for my confusion. 

The last one of those cop buddy shows I actually enjoyed was Common Law five years ago and that got canceled after one season. 

I only looked into Lethal Weapon because Clayne Crawford impressed me on Leverage. Not so much here. I  also popped by to check out McGyver because my teenage self had a crush on Richard Dean Anderson and I hoped he might drop by. I gave up after about 15 minutes. I have no time and too long of a Netflix list to spend it on something like that.

I guess Network TV is kinda dead to me.

Scorpion is MacGyver without a legacy name. It is an original loosely based upon a private contractor trouble shooter 

1 hour ago, roamyn said:

And yet something that had promise - with some tweaking - and originality, gets cut loose.  My lament this past season was The Great Outdoors.

The Great Indoors on CBS?  Yeah, that was really good, and much much better than I expected.  Of course it got cancelled!!

2 minutes ago, kassygreene said:

The Great Indoors on CBS?  Yeah, that was really good, and much much better than I expected.  Of course it got cancelled!!

Duh... Yes, Indoors.  I had a blonde moment.

Edited by roamyn

The Carrie Diaires, which was a prequel to Sex and The City, really did have potential, and Young Carrie and later on Young Samantha were amazingly cast. But it just couldn't get it together. It's a shame it didn't get a 3rd season, because that would have allowed them to ditch Carie's Connecticut life for good. (Except Walt and Donna LaDonna. They could stay.) I just don't get why they thought we'd give a shit about Carrie's annoying retcon sister who didn't exist on the mother show or other various worthless characters that took up too much of the show.

I feel like if Will and Grace Electirc Boogaloo takes off, we'll see a reboot of Sex and The City as a mini-series instead of just another movie.

On ‎8‎/‎30‎/‎2017 at 6:44 AM, roamyn said:

This is a good point.

However, to take a show that had already proven itself and was a hit, then to flop the reboot, could that be considered worse than any new original that failed?

After all, your taking a proven product (I.e. Coke) and running the brand into the ground (I.e. New Coke).

But Coke was kicking Pepsi's butt when New Coke came out. New Coke was formulated to taste more like Pepsi.  They just didn't count on cancellation outrage driving rejection of New Coke and the sales bump when they listened and brought Coke Classic back.  There is a reason its still called Coke Classic.  Luckiest business mistake ever.

Some reboots can work.  But I think TV needs a combination of talent and interest in the project from writers/showrunners.  I think reboots are more likely to get dusted off by someone looking for a job rather than bringing a show they are passionate about to the small screen.  But I think that regular shows have a lot of that too.

I think reboots have a lot more of networks shopping of known properties and bringing people on board while original ideas have more creators doing pitches.

Also why I think sci-fi reboot have a better chance in reboots than comedies and dramas just because there are a lot more fans that went into show business and secretly longed to do TV/movie fanfic on them.

• Love 3
55 minutes ago, ParadoxLost said:

But Coke was kicking Pepsi's butt when New Coke came out. New Coke was formulated to taste more like Pepsi.  They just didn't count on cancellation outrage driving rejection of New Coke and the sales bump when they listened and brought Coke Classic back.  There is a reason its still called Coke Classic.  Luckiest business mistake ever.

Pepsi had the taste test challenge ad campaign and being a bit sweater than  Coke, the Coke would always fail in a side by side comparison. So New Coke was a taste test killer ready to beat Pepsi should they renew that ad campaign.

I just realized that we're safe from a 7th Heaven reboot because of Stephen Collins and his sex scandal.

And I so could've seen it coming back as a dramatic Fuller House. Brenda Hampton would have brought it back in a heartbeat.

Edited by methodwriter85
  • Love 1
On 30-8-2017 at 0:44 PM, roamyn said:

Many shows were very much products of their time and would take significant changes to make them work now. But that could drive away a significant portion of the original fans. You could compensate that by attracting new viewers, but that is more difficult because there will always be people who didn't like the original and won't give the reboot a chance no matter how good it ends up being.

In addition to that shows are often popular because of cast and/or producers/writers involved with the show. Trying to remake a show with different cast, producers and writers will often not work. You are more likely to be successful with something like Fuller House which has the same creator as the original and also many original cast members in regular and recurring roles.

• Love 2