Type keyword(s) to search

F-U, Reboot-Mania: Express Your Hate Here

• Start Topic

36 minutes ago, magicdog said:

What many of these so called reboots fail at is not putting a new spin on an old idea but rather mangling it to the point of being unrecognizable to try to please the very crowd that won’t want to watch it.

*DING DING DING DING DING*  We have a winner!

• Love 5

Re:  Bewitched.  If they want to do a show exploring the issues that arise for an interracial couple, they should just do that show, and not involve witchcraft.  I feel like they did want to just do that show but some suit wanted to do a reboot, so this Frankenstein's monster was the result.  And I'd watch the shit out of that show.  (The non-witchcraft one.)

Edited by janie jones
  • Love 6

I just wish any reboot/continuation of Quantum Leap could have happened 10, 15 years ago. Dean Stockwell's 82 years old. It just feels like it's too late now. I could go for just Sam (and Scott still looks like he's in pretty amazing shape for 60-something), but yeah. Maybe we'll luck out and Dean will be like Estelle Parsons, who is 90 and still looks friggin' amazing.

Edited by methodwriter85
  • Love 3
8 hours ago, methodwriter85 said:

I just wish any reboot/continuation of Quantum Leap could have happened 10, 15 years ago. Dean Stockwell's 82 years old. It just feels like it's too late now. I could go for just Sam (and Scott still looks like he's in pretty amazing shape for 60-something), but yeah. Maybe we'll luck out and Dean will be like Estelle Parsons, who is 90 and still looks friggin' amazing.

This is a pic of him in 2012.  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dean_Stockwell#/media/File:Dean_Stockwell_01_(6940352648).jpg 

Alas, he suffered a stroke in 2015 and retired from acting because of it.  So the new Quantum Leap will just have to go on without him.

Edited by legaleagle53

The CW is rebooting The 4400, one of my must-watch shows when USA Network was still "Characters Welcome" (RIP).

https://www.tvinsider.com/729491/the-4400-reboot-the-cw/

I was excited about this until I read the article, which stated that the returnees will all be young adults. "Bugger," I thought. But this is The CW, and young adults are their thing. 

I'll check it out if it happens because I loved that show, but I know it isn't being targeted to me. Who knows? It might still have broader appeal.

• Love 2
On 11/7/2018 at 1:49 PM, CoderLady said:

The CW is rebooting The 4400, one of my must-watch shows when USA Network was still "Characters Welcome" (RIP).

I was excited about this until I read the article, which stated that the returnees will all be young adults. "Bugger," I thought. But this is The CW, and young adults are their thing. 

I'll check it out if it happens because I loved that show, but I know it isn't being targeted to me. Who knows? It might still have broader appeal.

I wouldn't mind a reboot, but not if all of the characters are under 30. Also the 4400 gave me one of my all-time favorite tv moments, which is Jordan Collier bleeding out from a gun shot wound and gasping for air, he points to baby Isabelle and croaks out "She lies!" And of course the camera catches that little smirk from the baby.

Honestly, they managed to catch a dozen different "looks" from that baby as long as she had that apple.

• Love 2

The concept itself isn't really new (4400) so I suppose they could have a new story. Just because it's going to be teens though puts me off. 

I think they could get more into the 4400 have a purpose more than the original did. 

• Love 2
7 hours ago, ganesh said:

I think they could get more into the 4400 have a purpose more than the original did. 

Well, the original 4400 series didn’t get to finish. They ended the season on a cliffhanger, then USA cancelled it. 

• Love 1

I remember thinking the little girl on the 4400 was a dead-ringer for Child Star Natalie Wood, which was funny because Natasha Gregson Wagner ended up on the show at one point.

I think the show lost me around the time Isabelle became an adult.

The failed t.v. adaption of Frequency changed the time difference from 31 years to 20 years just to ensure that the lead character could still be under 30.

• Love 2
3 minutes ago, legaleagle53 said:

So did I.  I always thought it was grossly underrated.  Many of Night Gallery's episodes were scarier than a lot of Twilight Zone episodes!

I wonder if they will redo old episodes like the earwig story.

• Love 3
7 minutes ago, badhaggis said:

I wonder if they will redo old episodes like the earwig story.

I think that would be a fantastic approach -- a mix of remakes of some of the classic NG episodes like that one and new ones (apparently one hot topic for the 2019 edition will be the influence of social media.  I can think of so many horror scenarios that could be based on that theme alone!).

3 minutes ago, Annber03 said:

Oh, god, that story. *Shudders*

That one and "Little Girl Lost" are the two that forever scarred MY ten-year-old psyche!

Edited by legaleagle53
  • Love 2
On 12/6/2018 at 9:49 PM, Nordly Beaumont said:

Be honest, it never really stopped freaking you out, right? It's never stopped for me!

Yes it does! I told my brother about the reboot and he said "please don't redo the earwig episode!"

Edited by badhaggis
  • Love 3

Night Gallery could work.  I don't see the need to repeat old episodes either.  Do as they did before, get a solid short story compilation of the masters of horror, hire current writers of the genre, and they should be good to go.   

• Love 5

Bravo is working on a Queer as Folk reboot with Russell T. Davies. I'm not mad about this at all. I loved the original. I really came to hate the Showtime series. Brian and Justin were such a toxic and dysfunctional relationship, which the show decided for no good reason was true love. I loved that the original never forgot that Nathan was an awestruck teen and Stuart was a vain, manipulative, selfish being. There was no true love there and I appreciated that the show had them move on from each other. Also it's hilarious to revisit because there are sex scenes with Jax Teller and Petyr "Littlefinger" Baelish.

https://variety.com/2018/tv/news/queer-as-folk-reboot-bravo-1203092157/

• Love 3

It pains me to have to say that I liked Doctor Who best (the new version) under RTD's reign, but I still haven't forgiven him for the way he destroyed Torchwood and his childish response to that criticism.  I never saw the original QAF, but I thought the Showtime series was fine for the most part (Michael and his mom were pretty obnoxious).  So, I'm torn on whether or not I'll be into this.  Maybe once I see some casting news or a trailer.

• Love 2
18 hours ago, Sweet Tee said:

It pains me to have to say that I liked Doctor Who best (the new version) under RTD's reign, but I still haven't forgiven him for the way he destroyed Torchwood and his childish response to that criticism. 

Yeah, me neither. I'm still bitter about that shit. That being said, I probably will still give the new QaF a try.

I, too, hated Brian and Justin which I've probably posted about in the UO thread. So glad they didn't end up together.

• Love 2
On 12/19/2018 at 2:09 PM, HunterHunted said:

Bravo is working on a Queer as Folk reboot with Russell T. Davies. I'm not mad about this at all. I loved the original. I really came to hate the Showtime series. Brian and Justin were such a toxic and dysfunctional relationship, which the show decided for no good reason was true love. I loved that the original never forgot that Nathan was an awestruck teen and Stuart was a vain, manipulative, selfish being. There was no true love there and I appreciated that the show had them move on from each other. Also it's hilarious to revisit because there are sex scenes with Jax Teller and Petyr "Littlefinger" Baelish.

https://variety.com/2018/tv/news/queer-as-folk-reboot-bravo-1203092157/

I’m the opposite.  I loved Brian & Justin.  They made each other better people.  When Justin’s head got bashed at the end of S1, Brian just fell apart.

But my favorite was Ted.  And I was glad he reconnected with Blake.  

• Love 1
On 11/7/2018 at 2:49 PM, CoderLady said:

What, why? I really would want the original one to continue. As it ended in a huge cliffhanger. They could have done a spin-off about different 4400's maybe ones who don't live in Seattle, and they could have been young adults.  I doubt I'll watch this, but I love the original series.

• Love 1
On 12/23/2018 at 4:55 PM, blueray said:

I really would want the original one to continue. As it ended in a huge cliffhanger. They could have done a spin-off about different 4400's maybe ones who don't live in Seattle, and they could have been young adults

I would continue it with the main 2 agents retiring and the younger guy with the glasses (who can transport through pictures) taking over.

Remember - just regular people - not just 4400s got abilities at the end. So just tracking them all down to classify them would be a huge undertaking. I wouldn't include anyone from the original. 

6 hours ago, ganesh said:

I would continue it with the main 2 agents retiring and the younger guy with the glasses (who can transport through pictures) taking over.

Remember - just regular people - not just 4400s got abilities at the end. So just tracking them all down to classify them would be a huge undertaking. I wouldn't include anyone from the original. 

I think I just lumped that in with the original show continuing, which I much rather have too.  Marco (who isn't really any younger then Diane and Tom), was one of my favorite characters, which I was glad he got the best power as he deserved it :).

Edited by blueray
On 12/19/2018 at 2:50 PM, Sweet Tee said:

I never saw the original QAF, but I thought the Showtime series was fine for the most part (Michael and his mom were pretty obnoxious).  So, I'm torn on whether or not I'll be into this.  Maybe once I see some casting news or a trailer.

The original devoted a decent amount of time to deconstructing the mess that was the Stuart/Vince friendship (Brian/Michael would be the analogous relationship in the Showtime series). It revealed that Vince had been in love with Stuart since they were kids. It's clear that Stuart wants Vince, but doesn't really believe he deserves Vince. However, Stuart was so unbelievably insecure and self-loathing that he continued to bask in Vince's adulation and purposefully ruin Vince's life. Stuart continues off and on with Nathan (the analogue would be Justin) because he's using Nathan to not feel like shit when Vince starts moving on. At the end of the series, Nathan has moved on from Stuart and Stuart is considered a bit of an oldster on the scene.

If you can find it, I would recommend watching it.

When I first heard about this project when RDJ was going to do the role, I was so against it.  But when I started hearing the rumors of Matthew Rhys taking the role, suddenly I was on board.

I'm on board even more now since it sounds very different from the legal years of the TV show.

• Love 1
7 hours ago, GHScorpiosRule said:

Praise to the TV GODS! Someone agrees with me! RAYMOND BURR is THE ONLY PERRY MASON EVAH!!!!!!!!!!

Word. Even though other actors played the character before him. I consider him to be Perry Mason. That said, I was starting to get ok with RDJ possibly playing an earlier version. Not sure about Matthew Rhys. He's a good actor, sure... but he doesn't seem the Perry Mason type.

2 minutes ago, Irlandesa said:

When I first heard about this project when RDJ was going to do the role, I was so against it.  But when I started hearing the rumors of Matthew Rhys taking the role, suddenly I was on board.

I'm on board even more now since it sounds very different from the legal years of the TV show.

I'm pretty much the opposite of you on that one. Now I'm not all that interested. Maybe my mind will change as it goes along though.

4 hours ago, DearEvette said:

Ok, so I saw this headline but for some reason my eye only saw "Matthew" and  "Perry".  And my first thought was, whose bright idea was it to have Matthew Perry play Perry Mason?  LOL.

OMG lol. Now that would make for a very different Perry Mason.

Edited by AntiBeeSpray
7 hours ago, Irlandesa said:

Maybe this should go in the Unpopular Opinion Thread, but for me, Perry Mason is Perry Mason. He doesn't change once he became a practicing lawyer. The core of the character is the same. Even 30 years after the original series went off the air, and we got the movies--I could still recognize Perry Mason in Raymond Burr. So for me, Raymond Burr is/was/will forever be Perry Mason. I will accept no others in that role. Never, never, never, never, never.

Even Earle Stanley Gardner, the author and creator of the character, said once he saw Raymond Burr, he saw Perry. He embodied the character.

• Love 5
2 hours ago, GHScorpiosRule said:

Maybe this should go in the Unpopular Opinion Thread, but for me, Perry Mason is Perry Mason. He doesn't change once he became a practicing lawyer. The core of the character is the same. Even 30 years after the original series went off the air, and we got the movies--I could still recognize Perry Mason in Raymond Burr. So for me, Raymond Burr is/was/will forever be Perry Mason. I will accept no others in that role. Never, never, never, never, never.

Even Earle Stanley Gardner, the author and creator of the character, said once he saw Raymond Burr, he saw Perry. He embodied the character.

Come sit by me.  No fake Perry Mason's will ever clutter my space.

• Love 3
15 hours ago, GHScorpiosRule said:

Oh I think, based on the opinion of those who watched/loved the original series, mine is the unpopular opinion.  And I did absolutely loved the series--even the cheesy movies they did in the 80s. (Which I will watch when or if Hallmark airs them.)

• Love 2
8 hours ago, Irlandesa said:

Oh I think, based on the opinion of those who watched/loved the original series, mine is the unpopular opinion.  And I did absolutely loved the series--even the cheesy movies they did in the 80s. (Which I will watch when or if Hallmark airs them.)

I think Hallmark Mysteries and Movies Channel is airing the movies now. Someone mentioned it in the show topic. And of course, the awesome series airs on MeTV.

• Love 2
3 hours ago, GHScorpiosRule said:

I think Hallmark Mysteries and Movies Channel is airing the movies now. Someone mentioned it in the show topic. And of course, the awesome series airs on MeTV.

Hallmark Movies and Mysteries (you had the M’s reversed) was the last cable channel I know of that aired the Perry Mason revival TV movies, but I don’t think they’re on the current schedule; definitely not airing this week (they barely even air Columbo anymore). The channel didn’t even stop airing Christmas-themed movies until January 8th (I’ve been waiting for them to get back to the late-night mystery series reruns, like Hart to Hart; I wish they aired Ironside).

• Love 1