Type keyword(s) to search

F-U, Reboot-Mania: Express Your Hate Here

• Start Topic

6 hours ago, giovannif7 said:

Looks like Tim Burton is helming a continuation of 60s sitcom The Addams Family. While I've loved a lot of his work, his 2012 take on Dark Shadows was a misguided mess, and I don't want to see another classic from my childhood woefully mishandled. As long as he doesn't try to foist off Johnny Depp as Gomez and/or Helena Bonham Carter as Morticia, I'll probably give it a shot, but I don't have high expectations.

HBC is too old now, but in her heyday it might have worked.  Depp is just too... Depp. But also he's immersed in scandal, and that might be able to be shrugged off for a movie, but not for a series.  

• Love 5
9 hours ago, Kromm said:

HBC is too old now, but in her heyday it might have worked.  Depp is just too... Depp. But also he's immersed in scandal, and that might be able to be shrugged off for a movie, but not for a series.  

Those two weren’t right for Sweeney Todd and Mrs. Lovett, either, but that didn’t stop Tim Burton casting them.  Wouldn’t surprise me in the slightest if they play Gomez and Morticia.

• Love 2

Is Burton even really casting HBC in stuff now that they're no longer a couple? I was under the impression that put a real damper on their collaboration. 

Edited by Zella
  • Love 2

I know I've been distracted by national and world events during 2020, but I had no idea that a Hardy Boys remake was on the way on Hulu.

I knew immediately it wasn't a CW series when I saw the direction they went with the casting Frank and Joe - definitely not in the mold of Parker Stevenson and Shaun Cassidy. I'm curious as to the reasoning behind the conscious choice to go younger and not make both of the boys teen idol-worthy this time around.

• Useful 4
  • Love 1
3 hours ago, giovannif7 said:

I'm curious as to the reasoning behind the conscious choice to go younger and not make both of the boys teen idol-worthy this time around.

I find it interesting (and a good, progressive choice) that they made the Hardy mother the main investigator, and not (necessarily) the father as in the original books.

• Love 2
3 hours ago, SVNBob said:

I find it interesting (and a good, progressive choice) that they made the Hardy mother the main investigator, and not (necessarily) the father as in the original books.

Also, it appears that Laura Hardy is to be a far more proactive character instead of one so passive that she lets her sister-in-law (the boys' Aunt Gertrude) essentially be her sons' disciplinarian without raising the slightest objections. I actually liked Aunt Gertrude but I found it a bit much that she seemed to have long supplanted the boys' mother's role after having moved into the Hardy Home at some unspecified early date- and Mrs. Hardy was such a nonentity that in all previous TV series (plural) they simply ignored her existence and Fenton Hardy appeared to be a widower with her presence being even less missed by her family than Steve Douglas's wife/ Bub O'Casey's daughter was on My Three Sons!

Interesting if one goes by cars and clothes that this series appears to be taking place sometime in the   1970s  and, yes, they even have an African-American token pal (which is more progressive than the previous series in which no African-Americans appeared to exist).  I hope this one lasts.

• Useful 1
  • Love 1

It's funny this dropped because I'm watching the short-lived 90s version from Canada where both Joe and Frank are well into adulthood on Roku. I found out about this a bit earlier because I was looking to see if the CW was going to do a series and found out Hulu had it instead. Given that the CW has Nancy Drew, I'm kind of surprised that the CW didn't do the Hardy Boys which you know would have cast both "boys" as hunky 20-something men. Maybe they thought it would have been too much like Supernatural which people always jokingly called The Hardy Boys Find Ghosts. It's also possible Hulu got the rights before the CW could. In any event I was also surprised they went with Joe being a child and not old enough to be a teen idol type. I guess they liked the success of Stranger Things and It and decided to go with them being actual kids? Also find the 70's setting to be interesting, although it's entirely possible the setting is modern day but cars/clothing/tech are intentionally anachronistic like Riverdale. If it is the 70's they went the time honored traditional of getting the period clothing right but not the hair. 

Edited by methodwriter85
  • Useful 2
On 11/10/2020 at 4:50 AM, Blergh said:

Interesting if one goes by cars and clothes that this series appears to be taking place sometime in the   1970s  and, yes, they even have an African-American token pal (which is more progressive than the previous series in which no African-Americans appeared to exist).  I hope this one lasts.

Actually they did have a black member of the group in the 1969 animated series.  Pete Jones was the drummer for the Hardy Boys' rock band.

I think they chose younger actors because of the success of "Stranger Things", but I also think that "Supernatural" cornered the market on hot mystery hunting brothers and thought it better to skew younger.

• Useful 3
  • Love 2
On 11/12/2020 at 4:30 PM, magicdog said:

Actually they did have a black member of the group in the 1969 animated series.  Pete Jones was the drummer for the Hardy Boys' rock band.

I think they chose younger actors because of the success of "Stranger Things", but I also think that "Supernatural" cornered the market on hot mystery hunting brothers and thought it better to skew younger.

I didn't know about the 1969 series . The link provided was to   a rather awkward fan promo-record with  the vocal  performers calling each other by their characters' names while  stiffly sputtering resume highlights of each performer's pre-series lives.   It sure seemed as though the producers believed that they were on the verge of taking this to the Scooby-Doo/Archies' stratospheres ( bubblegum songs included) but it sounds as though this wound up being a big bomb with none of the performers breaking out of obscurity. It definitely didn't have the staying power of H.R. Puffnstuff which ALSO debuted in 1969 and also only made 17 episodes in its single season of production. 

Thankfully, the contemporary production seems to be avoiding any musical attempts! 

5 hours ago, Blergh said:

The link provided was to   a rather awkward fan promo-record with  the vocal  performers calling each other by their characters' names while  stiffly sputtering resume highlights of each performer's pre-series lives. 

I was afraid to link it to an actual episode because "they" might try to have it taken down.  If you search the 'net, you'll find some.  The opening credits were filmed using the actors who recorded the songs and played the band for live performances, not the cartoon versions.

Interesting you mention Scooby - they were direct competition to the show, both debuting on Saturday morning in September, 1969.

• Love 2
On 11/12/2020 at 5:30 PM, magicdog said:

Agreed 100 percent. They made Joe 12 because they want to remind people of Stranger Things as well as It. I also think they knew that Supernatural had basically served as an adult Hardy Boys show and decided to go younger.

• Love 2
On 11/9/2020 at 11:44 PM, giovannif7 said:

I know I've been distracted by national and world events during 2020, but I had no idea that a Hardy Boys remake was on the way on Hulu.

I knew immediately it wasn't a CW series when I saw the direction they went with the casting Frank and Joe - definitely not in the mold of Parker Stevenson and Shaun Cassidy. I'm curious as to the reasoning behind the conscious choice to go younger and not make both of the boys teen idol-worthy this time around.

That looks a ton better than the uber-shitty Nancy Drew reboot.

• Useful 2
  • Love 2

It's a game show, so easy to produce, but Name That Tune is the epitomy of "who asked for it?" reboots.

https://deadline.com/2020/11/name-that-tune-fox-jane-krakowski-randy-jackson-1234618113/

And the celebs involved are odd choices. Jane Krakowski is a stage singer, I guess, but it's not like the show host usually sings on this show. And Randy Jackson?  Ugh. At least (presumably) without a live audience he may not ham things up as much... Who's going to be be around to make the argh argh argh sounds at him?  The band?  Jane?  The contestants? 

On 11/17/2020 at 11:42 PM, methodwriter85 said:

There were things I liked about it so I kept trudging on, but I don't begrudge anyone for hating it.

It was visually well shot, appropriately atmospheric, but that's about it, IMO. 

• Love 2
9 hours ago, Kromm said:

It's a game show, so easy to produce, but Name That Tune is the epitomy of "who asked for it?" reboots.

https://deadline.com/2020/11/name-that-tune-fox-jane-krakowski-randy-jackson-1234618113/

And the celebs involved are odd choices. Jane Krakowski is a stage singer, I guess, but it's not like the show host usually sings on this show. And Randy Jackson?  Ugh. At least (presumably) without a live audience he may not ham things up as much... Who's going to be be around to make the argh argh argh sounds at him?  The band?  Jane?  The contestants? 

It was visually well shot, appropriately atmospheric, but that's about it, IMO. 

Hopefully, it won't be  as bad as the 2006 IMO  juvenile, coarse version of I've Got a Secret which might have been okay had it stuck to its original concept but wound up being a totally brainless groaner   that I couldn't even get through one episode of! 

BTW, speaking of 'who asked for it?' is any network/server considering redoing You Asked For It? I liked the original a great deal (and often learned things e.g. the machinery and cables that pulled the iconic San Francisco Cable Cars up those notoriously steep hills). 

Edited by Blergh
  • Love 1

Why haven't there been more attempts to reboot Little House on the Prairie?                                                                                                                                                                                  My guess is that it's because period western dramas are expensive to make, and the last hit period Western drama was Dr. Quinn Medicine Woman in the 90's? It seems like they tried in 2005 with a miniseries but that didn't take off. I remember watching it and  being impressed with Pa, but feeling  like the new Half Pint was trying way too hard to be Melissa Gilbert. Like it felt like she was forced to watch the show and told to study every movement Melissa Gilbert made and copy it. Anyway, I guess we do have When Calls the Heart on Hallmark? I'm surprised Hallmark didn't take a stab at a revival. Filming in Canada would actually look closer to what Minnesota is supposed to look like as opposed to Simi Valley, California.

Edited by methodwriter85
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, methodwriter85 said:

Why haven't there been more attempts to reboot Little House on the Prairie?                                                                                                                                                                                  My guess is that it's because period western dramas are expensive to make, and the last hit period Western drama was Dr. Quinn Medicine Woman in the 90's?

Deadwood ran for three years. I don't know if that was by design or it got cancelled.

• Love 1

I think the runner just ended up finishing Deadwood because he had other projects. There was a movie.

Isn't Justified a western? 

I guess it's a different line between western or frontier story? Oh, Into the West was a miniseries in the early 2000s on TNT. It was good. 

• Love 2
12 hours ago, Anduin said:

Deadwood ran for three years. I don't know if that was by design or it got cancelled.

It was cancelled prematurely and the ending reflected that. And some of us are still bitter about it. 

I know they still did a movie, but that was after some of the cast had died. I've not even had the heart to watch the movie, though I still do rewatch Deadwood. 

• Love 1

4 hours ago, DoctorAtomic said:

I guess it's a different line between western or frontier story? 

To me there is. And I say that as someone who likes both. I've actually been rewatching LHOTP and Bonanza lately, and though the latter is clearly a Western, I don't consider LHOTP either. That's not bashing LHOTP because I really enjoy it, too, but they're not living on the frontier (other than the pilot episode). Or at least I don't consider Minnesota the frontier for the 1870s. 

Edited by Zella
  • Love 2
9 hours ago, DoctorAtomic said:

Isn't Justified a western? 

Yes but I don't think it's "period,"  It's a modern western.  I guess Yellowstone could also be considered a modern western?  (I don't watch so maybe it's more soapy than western.)

Godless on Netflix was a period western that was a limited series.

• Love 1
19 hours ago, Ohiopirate02 said:

Why just why?  The source material isn't that good, what made the first show so good was the cast.  Even if they decide to chuck the last few books and write a better ending, it still would not be worth my time. 

I know, right?  Can you even imagine anyone else playing Lafayette than the late Nelsan Ellis? 

Also the show only has been off the air for six years.   And the Southern Vampire series isn't even the best of the very glutted genre.  If they want to adapt a vampire or urban fantasy series there are tons to choose from.  And some with more immediate and rabid fanbases they could capitalize from.

• Love 9

The latest 80s series to get the reboot/continuation treatment? Night Court. Since Harry Anderson is no longer with us, my expectations are very low. I suppose the key that will make or break the show will be the casting of Harry's daughter. If the new character/actress can establish a good comic spark with Larrouquette, it may work - as long as they don't play with the possibility of a hoookup/love connection between the two.

Edited by giovannif7
  • Love 2
21 minutes ago, giovannif7 said:

The latest 80s series to get the reboot/continuation treatment? Night Court. Since Harry Anderson is no longer with us, my expectations are very low. I suppose the key that will make or break the show will be the casting of Harry's daughter. If the new character/actress can establish a good comic spark with Larrouquette, it may work - as long as they don't play with the possibility of a hoookup/love connection between the two.

My heart hurts with that one.  I loved Night Court. 

Are we going to find out Harry and Christine reunited and had Abby? 

• Love 4

I'm surprised they're trying to reboot this!  NC was very much a product of its time and while I still find most of the show enjoyable upon rewatch (I hated the last 2-3 seasons) it should remain as it was.  Besides, didn't Dan go off into politics or something?  I barely remember the finale, but just about everyone in the court had moved on to other things (except Bull who was kidnapped by aliens).  Why would Dan ever return anyway?

The character of Abby sounds more like Christine than Harry anyway (relentlessly optimistic).  

• Love 2
3 hours ago, magicdog said:

I'm surprised they're trying to reboot this!  NC was very much a product of its time and while I still find most of the show enjoyable upon rewatch (I hated the last 2-3 seasons) it should remain as it was.  Besides, didn't Dan go off into politics or something?  I barely remember the finale, but just about everyone in the court had moved on to other things (except Bull who was kidnapped by aliens).  Why would Dan ever return anyway?

The character of Abby sounds more like Christine than Harry anyway (relentlessly optimistic).  

Christine was elected to Congress. Dan decided to follow her because he thought he was in love with her. Harry decided to stay at Night Court turning down a bunch of really great job offers and touring with Mel Torme. And yes Bull was kidnapped by aliens.

• Useful 1

Night Court Next Generation sounds iffy, since a defanged Dan, which it would HAVE to be in 2021, sounds like a waste of time. 

Larroquette, Post, Moll, if they have those last two show up, are all in their 70s now.  I'm not sure how entertaining that would be.  Surprisingly to me (after verifying their ages) Marsha Warfield is only in her mid 60s... but... seems to have been out of showbiz for more than 20 years. 

Edited by Kromm
  • Love 3
3 hours ago, Kromm said:

So apparently the Lizzie McGuire reboot is dead.  So that's one less we have to worry about sucking... 

https://www.eonline.com/videos/317125/hilary-duff-confirms-lizzie-mcguire-reboot-is-dead

You mean it never sucked in the first place? (Sorry, Even Stevens over Lizzie McGuire.) As for Hilary Duff, she seems like someone who was smart with the money she made as a teenager and I'm glad she refused to back down to Disney. She doesn't really need them.

My guess is that trying to shop it to Hulu didn't work because either Disney's planning on merging the two, or because Disney's not interested in producing content they can't put on their main streamer, especially with all the lost revenue with the pandemic. I'm just curious about what was so objectionable. Everything I read about the pilot didn't sound like anything that couldn't be put on a PG-13 rating.

Edited by methodwriter85
  • Love 3

Little House?  Um.  Okay. Or not. Not sure I care. 

Oh, since I just saw a commercial for Clarice, can someone please explain the rationale behind it existing?  I just don't get it. Hasn't that ground been mined enough?  How many different movies and series is this now for things attached to Silence of The Lambs?  Enough. 

• Love 2
25 minutes ago, Irlandesa said:

Speaking of legal shows, it looks like Blair Underwood and Steven Bochco's son are trying to get a LA Law sequel series in the work at ABC.

I don't hate this one. I did love me some LA Law back in the day.

No hate. It's actually a good idea.  Law firms actually have continuity over periods this long.  

• Love 2

Ugh to the LA Law reboot.   Can you imagine Arnie doing his thing THESE days?   Or all the sleeping around?    Just ... no.   

On the other hand, Night Court might work.   As long as they stick to comedy and not try to make it "edgier" which usually means more sex and explosions.   Although I agree with whoever said the last 2-3 seasons were terrible.   Mostly because they tried to make it about Harry and Christine will they or won't they instead of about the antics of running night court and the "interesting" characters who wind up there.

• Love 4