Type keyword(s) to search

S07.E16: Awfully Charitable

• Start Topic

(edited)

In addition to Beth acknowledging to her therapist that she's only seen him for filming, she was never "homeless" as she also owns a home in the Hamptons. I see the fake therapy session as a retcon so she could say she now approved of the other women. Her lie about being "alone" is probably the single aspect of Bethenny that bothers me most of the whole season, and that's really saying something.

In this episode, Carole referred to Carolyn as a "close friend." I know she's also referred to her as a best friend. That's either true or in the eye of the beholder.

I'm glad to see that Heather also has a close off-screen friendship with Kristen. Wish they'd shown more of that.

Edited by missy jo
  • Love 7

Oh, hey guys, it's just me, Mya.

I'm here with your weekly reminder, and I'm putting it in all caps in case you doubt my seriousness. (That and I'm posting mobile and I'm too lazy to use the correct bbcode for bolding and italicizing.)

SNARK THE SHOW, NOT EACH OTHER.

Do NOT attempt to use veiled language to call anyone a troll. You think you're good at passive aggressiveness? I majored in it. It's how I survived my family.

You don't like something someone says? Report it. But DO NOT ENGAGE. It's the quickest way to get us pissy. And you really wouldn't like me when I'm pissy.

• Love 18

I can't think of a single time, not one, that Heather was ever funny all on her own or was the originator of a joke. She just doesn't seem playful to me at all. Y'all have made me consider why I don't care for her. I've just discovered this is one of the reasons. Ramona is too mean to be funny. Except when I'm pointing and laughing at what a moron she is..

Wow!  You're right.  I didn't realize that until you mentioned it.   She is intense and so is Bethenny but B can be very funny.  As blah as we've said Kristen can be, she can be funny too.   A good sense of humor is something I want the people I hang out with to have.  I've always liked Bethenny so I initially thought I might not like Heather but I do.  

The party next week is thrown by Bethenny for SG I think, hence the red everywhere.

Damn!  How did I miss that?  I'll have to check the Bravo website. 

In addition to Beth acknowledging to her therapist that she's only seen him for filming, she was never "homeless" as she also owns a home in the Hamptons. I see the fake therapy session as a retcon so she could say she now approved of the other women. Her lie about being "alone" is probably the single aspect of Bethenny that bothers me most of the whole season, and that's really saying something.

In this episode, Carole referred to Carolyn as a "close friend." I know she's also referred to her as a best friend. That's either true or in the eye of the beholder.

I'm glad to see that Heather also has a close off-screen friendship with Kristen. Wish they'd shown more of that.

I find it odd that there are 3 real friends on the show with Heather, Carole and Kristen, women that get together and do things with each other after filming ends yet we really see very little of them doing things together, just the 3, on the show. I also want to see more of their interactions together and less of the forced gatherings designed around producer driven drama/fighting. More laughter and less fighting/drama! LOL

• Love 10

I find it odd that there are 3 real friends on the show with Heather, Carole and Kristen, women that get together and do things with each other after filming ends yet we really see very little of them doing things together, just the 3, on the show. I also want to see more of their interactions together and less of the forced gatherings designed around producer driven drama/fighting. More laughter and less fighting/drama! LOL

Were they friends before they joined the show?

I enjoy the laughter too but I'm afraid we'll always get the producer driven drama.  Even though many of us agree about that, the drama/fighting always results in a lively and lengthy discussion.

• Love 2

Were they friends before they joined the show?

I enjoy the laughter too but I'm afraid we'll always get the producer driven drama.  Even though many of us agree about that, the drama/fighting always results in a lively and lengthy discussion.

Well, Heather and Carole met on the show but Heather knew Kristen for a while through Josh. I do believe they are friends, they all tweet each other and tweet photos of them together during their time off. What was surprising was that most of the women have said that they see/talk to Heather after the season is over as well. It seems she reaches out to all the women during their hiatus. As "bossy" as she, Heather, can and often times is, she seems to really care about all of them and that is 1 of the reasons I like her. It does seem that Carole and Bethenny are building an "off camera" friendship as well.

Yes, there will always be the drama but, IMO, it needs to be a bit more balanced with laughter than they have been doing lately.

• Love 8

Bethenny defends her words:  I'm the richest homeless person in NY.  According to Beth, it was a pun and she's standing by it.  I wouldn't refer to it as unfortunate choice of words since she offers no apology for it.

http://www.eonline.com/news/646522/bethenny-frankel-not-sorry-for-wealthiest-homeless-person-remarks-says-she-s-not-gonna-complain-about-skinny-backlash

For what it's worth,  I think it was a horrible pun.  I don't mind politically uncorrectness, but it was just not funny IMO.  Add to that she did actually own a multi million dollar house in the Hamptons at the time.

• Love 9

I was in my 20's in the 90's and even though we had no cellphones back then or Facebook, I was still picture-happy. I have many, many pictures with my friends. So I do find it a tiny bit strange that there isn't one snap of Carole and Carolyn together-even in a group-in her book. Again, I fully believe that they were good friends. It's just the "best friend" label that I think may be slightly embellished, and I also felt it was a way to romanticize her past. Hey, it's an exciting past. She was close with JFK Jr. and Carolyn-that time's royal couple! I just said that I was surprised there were no photos shown.

I guess Carole isn't a picture person though. Her pictures in the book as I recall were very few and not even good ones. The pictures with Anthony he was never smiling or even looking at the camera. So that may explain the lack of a photo with Carolyn, who knows?

I don't think that Carolyn and Carole had similar backgrounds. I thought Carolyn was very upper class, from Greenwich, Connecticut. And Carole is from middle class upstate New York I believe. Their connection came from their husbands being cousins/best friends and just sharing time together most likely.

I also recall that Carolyn came from Greenwich.    She was very uncomfortable dealing with the media and went out of her way to avoid photo ops.   I don't doubt that Carolyn and Carole did become close friends.  One thing that stuck with me when Carole and Dorinda were having the conversation at the airport was Carole admitting that she lost contact with many people at ABC after she left and was in the process of reconnecting with them.   She did what she had to do to cope, I guess.

• Love 6
(edited)

I also recall that Carolyn came from Greenwich.    She was very uncomfortable dealing with the media and went out of her way to avoid photo ops.   I don't doubt that Carolyn and Carole did become close friends.  One thing that stuck with me when Carole and Dorinda were having the conversation at the airport was Carole admitting that she lost contact with many people at ABC after she left and was in the process of reconnecting with them.   She did what she had to do to cope, I guess.

I don't know where in Greenwich she was from, but contrary to popular belief there are some decidedly middle-class sections of Greenwich. If they worked at the Caldor there, it was not located in "back country" where the rich folk live.

Edited by panthergirl13
  • Love 2

Can someone tell me what Bethenny is wearing in the "new" TH alleged to have been filmed after wrapping where you can see the new blunt haircut mixed in with extensions? Is it the salmon sleeveless blouse?

The reason I ask is in this TH this ep re therapy she said she has been "in transition" regarding her living quarters . Sounded to me like retcon for the homeless remarks early In The season.

TIA

• Love 5

Bethenny defends her words:  I'm the richest homeless person in NY.  According to Beth, it was a pun and she's standing by it.  I wouldn't refer to it as unfortunate choice of words since she offers no apology for it.

http://www.eonline.com/news/646522/bethenny-frankel-not-sorry-for-wealthiest-homeless-person-remarks-says-she-s-not-gonna-complain-about-skinny-backlash

For what it's worth,  I think it was a horrible pun.  I don't mind politically uncorrectness, but it was just not funny IMO.  Add to that she did actually own a multi million dollar house in the Hamptons at the time.

I see it as just another example of Bethy's arrogance.

If you have to qualify a statement with, It's a joke!, it usually isn't. And I'm not quite seeing a "pun" in there. No play on words, just that sense of entitlement that seems to come so naturally to B.

• Love 14
(edited)

I was in my 20's in the 90's and even though we had no cellphones back then or Facebook, I was still picture-happy. I have many, many pictures with my friends.

But are those pictures uploaded on the internet?  So that anyone doing a Google search of "Sage47 and Jane Doe" could find them? 

As I said before, the majority of my pictures from college and my 20s are in albums and shoeboxes.  I suspect the same can be said of pictures of Carole and CBK.    

Can someone tell me what Bethenny is wearing in the "new" TH alleged to have been filmed after wrapping where you can see the new blunt haircut mixed in with extensions? Is it the salmon sleeveless blouse?

Yes and I think there are some where she is wearing a blue top too where her hair looks very different.  It almost looks like she is wearing a wig!

Edited by Duke2801
  • Love 5

Re the "why are they wearing unseasonal clothes in winter?" question - I'd just assumed it was vanity. They want to show off their toned biceps in sleeveless dresses, rather than cover 'em up with cardigans, no matter what the barometer. When you live in NYC, you can feel a certain pressure to look particularly soigné, no matter what. (This is partly why I think there will never be a "Real Housewives of Boston" ;-) )

I don't know where in Greenwich she was from, but contrary to popular belief there are some decidedly middle-class sections of Greenwich

Carolyn Bessette was originally from White Plains, and she moved to Old Greenwich when her mother remarried. 

• Love 7

Yes and I think there are some where she is wearing a blue top too where her hair looks very different.  It almost looks like she is wearing a wig!

Didn't someone here post about Dorinda tweeting something about filming new "interviews" (aka TH) scenes for the show just a few weeks ago? I have no problem thinking that Andy had Production shoot some more scenes in addition to just TH segments.

• Love 4

Oh, hey guys, it's just me, Mya.

I'm here with your weekly reminder, and I'm putting it in all caps in case you doubt my seriousness. (That and I'm posting mobile and I'm too lazy to use the correct bbcode for bolding and italicizing.)

SNARK THE SHOW, NOT EACH OTHER.

Do NOT attempt to use veiled language to call anyone a troll. You think you're good at passive aggressiveness? I majored in it. It's how I survived my family.

You don't like something someone says? Report it. But DO NOT ENGAGE. It's the quickest way to get us pissy. And you really wouldn't like me when I'm pissy.

Just reiterating this as more posts have been deleted. Please show each other respect or we will have to take further action. 

• Love 5

All I remember Alex saying is that about every three weeks they would do a set of confessionals.  I believe her explanation had more to do with they didn't want whatever the issues were at the moment to be forgotten or if they waited too long there might be a big change in feelings between particular cast members.  Since her days on the show, and especially this year with Bethenny, the confessionals have become a big tadoo.  The editors can rewrite history so to speak with some well placed  confessional statements.

• Love 3
Anyone notice when Ro walked into the charity event?  My God, that woman walks like a toddler with a load in their diaper.  Her feet are over a foot apart when she walks.  She's a thin woman.  She looked so weird. I don't know.  Maybe she has a balance problem.  I'm reminded of when she was closing the sliding door in Turks.  Could anyone look anymore awkward.

Hahaha! Ramona does have one strange gait. It's like the Stay Puft marshmallow man was riding a horse for 6 hours. Does anyone remember Sonja's crazy dog funeral where all the ladies show up in their fanciest mourning outfits? Ro was tottering from side-to-side like Humpty Dumpty. I thought at the time that she either had an inner ear problem, or she was dead drunk. 

• Love 13

No, no one could find my pictures on a Google search that are in my shoebox. But it's MY shoebox. Carole had her own shoebox so why didn't she pull out a pic of her and Carolyn for her book? It IS possible there were no really flattering ones and that I can definitely relate to.

I just said that I thought that Carole and Carolyn were friends but I doubt they were full-on besties. It made for a better book for Carole to say that Carolyn was her best friend when she died. Of course she was torn apart whether Carolyn was a best friend or merely "good" friend. The bottom line is, I feel very badly for Carole for what she has been through. 

Carole always tries to project the image of super-cool and too cool for all of the other ladies. This exactly explains why she would say Bessette was her best friend, it goes along with her "cool" persona.

• Love 1

I don't think it's suspicious that we have not seen pictures of Carolyn and Carole. When Carolyn was alive, it was a different time. The paparazzi culture wasn't what it is now and we didn't have camera phones. I honestly don't think Carole would embellish her friendship with a deceased woman. I believe her when she says they were very close.

It was a different time, but only because the interwebs and as you said cell phones hadn't still really taken off.  The paparazzi culture was still thriving and Bisette hated it and did her best to avoid it.

I don't at all doubt her relationship with Bissette.  In fact, I always got the feeling that her and Anthony weren't some wildly in love couple, but one that just sort of happened.  They had a nice relationship but Carole seemed very take it or leave it in the beginning as did Anthony.  It almost sounded like they were just of that age where getting married was expected.  When I read the book, I really felt like her biggest loss was Bissette.  

• Love 2

I used to play catch with Mickey Mantle. Jim Morrison taught me how to sing. Princess Diana once lit a candle in the wind outside my window.

I swear.

But did you party with John-John on P Diddy's yacht?

• Love 14

No, no one could find my pictures on a Google search that are in my shoebox. But it's MY shoebox. Carole had her own shoebox so why didn't she pull out a pic of her and Carolyn for her book? It IS possible there were no really flattering ones and that I can definitely relate to.

I just said that I thought that Carole and Carolyn were friends but I doubt they were full-on besties. It made for a better book for Carole to say that Carolyn was her best friend when she died. Of course she was torn apart whether Carolyn was a best friend or merely "good" friend. The bottom line is, I feel very badly for Carole for what she has been through.

Carole always tries to project the image of super-cool and too cool for all of the other ladies. This exactly explains why she would say Bessette was her best friend, it goes along with her "cool" persona.

OG Carole hater over here, lord she grates like cheese, but I'm inclined to give her a bit of a pass on this. I agree with you that "bestie" may be something of an exaggeration of their relationship. However, with her husband (Tony?) being sick and it sounds like a private person and him being so close to JFKJr it's possible CB was around for some intense moments that bonded her and CR together. Then with everyone dying so close together it sounds like CR became something of a hermit and withdrew from everyone for a while. With all of that I'm not surprised she has constructed a rather rose-colored memory of that time in her life of the four of them together before the very thing went wrong. For all of her journalistic training, I don't know that Carole is actually that good at self-analysis. She doesn't seem to examine her own thoughts and feelings very much. Like with her anti-Luanne stance on S1. She was pretty comfortable blaming Luanne for making her dislike her, even while admitting she had no real reason to do so. This season I'm noticing it with Adam. She is very sensitive about Adam. She keeps playing it off like she doesn't really care except that it's another example of whoever being bitchy, but deep down I think she's really insecure about the age difference. I think she worries that when she walks down the street she looks like a dithering old lady who bought herself a boyfriend and she knows what she would say if it were Sonjia or Ramona or even Luanne with Adam(that they look silly, that he's lying about when he last slept with his ex, that he's only there for money and fame) and I think she's terrified that's actually all true about her and Adam. I'm not saying it is. I don't know. I have my suspicions about some things, but I don't know. I just think Carole is worried it is true, but won't admit it. I think after everyone died, Carole started living in a little bit in denial to get through it and I still think she goes there when she's scared or suspectes she might be in the wrong, or flat-out doesn't feel like dealing.

• Love 7

All I remember Alex saying is that about every three weeks they would do a set of confessionals.  I believe her explanation had more to do with they didn't want whatever the issues were at the moment to be forgotten or if they waited too long there might be a big change in feelings between particular cast members.  Since her days on the show, and especially this year with Bethenny, the confessionals have become a big tadoo.  The editors can rewrite history so to speak with some well placed  confessional statements.

I had a giggle over the spelling of big "to-do".  Reminded me of Ramona's Kadooz!

• Love 3
(edited)

I sure wouldn't want to be photographed next to CBK and have that pic for everyone to see on the internet, lol.  Who wouldn't be overshadowed by her looks?

Edited by izabella
  • Love 8
(edited)

I don't mind politically uncorrectness, but it was just not funny IMO.  Add to that she did actually own a multi million dollar house in the Hamptons at the time.

Beth isn't as funny as she thinks; a lot of times this season her "jokes" have come off as try-hard, or just dumb.

Was it her therapist or Carole she was bitching to about having to write checks? When she said that, I thought "Then stop buying outrageously expensive shit."

Oh lord please tell me that they are going to be singing a duet??  Because that would be amazing (in the most negative sense of the word, natch) 

Hee, were you the WWHL caller that asked about that?

This exactly explains why she would say Bessette was her best friend, it goes along with her "cool" persona.

Or, maybe Carole simply considered Carolyn to be her best friend during that time. Does it really need to be any more complicated than that?

Edited by jaync
  • Love 18
(edited)

When you live in NYC, you can feel a certain pressure to look particularly soigné, no matter what. 

Someone should tell that to Ramona.  LOL

When they're doing their THs, I can understand them not wearing turtle neck sweaters and boots even though it's winter.  The studio lighting is hot.

Edited by AnnA
  • Love 3
(edited)

I sure wouldn't want to be photographed next to CBK and have that pic for everyone to see on the internet, lol.  Who wouldn't be overshadowed by her looks?

Truth.  I was once again stunned by how beautiful and elegant she was when I did a search yesterday. Her and JFK Jr really did make the most striking couple.

Hee, were you the WWHL caller that asked about that?

No but I sure WISH I had been. LOL I didn't even end up watching the show - but I'm tickled to hear that somebody asked them that!

But, I mean, does she try to project a cool girl image? The real Carole has led a very interesting life, and has known and loved and worked with some very interesting, noteworthy people. To some people, that would be "cool" all on its own. Maybe she's just livin' her life and she just really IS cool without  attempting to project anything? I guess that's a matter of opinion! 

Edited by Duke2801
  • Love 16
Maybe she's just livin' her life and she just really IS cool without  attempting to project anything? I guess that's a matter of opinion!

I agree - I don't think Carole is trying to be something she isn't. She's alluded to her middle-class Italian-American upbringing on the show and was introduced to a different world of people when she a) started working for ABC and b) met Anthony Radziwill. She met JFK Jr. and Carolyn through her husband, as married couples are all over the world do - meet their spouse's friends and relatives. Because of her work, she has a wider world view than several of the other HWs. To expect her to not talk about either is pretty silly, IMO.

And it's not she's like been name-dropping, either. SONJA is the one who mentioned George Clooney, not Carole (and it's been brought up by others on WWHL several times). When she alluded to the plane crash in St. Barth's, she referred to JFK Jr. and Carolyn as "my friends," rather than by name. (Compare to Bethenny, who doesn't say "my friend Ginny," but "my friend Ginny Hilfger.") IMO, Carole's got further to go to deserve the fame whore label.

• Love 22

Truth.  I was once again stunned by how beautiful and elegant she was when I did a search yesterday. Her and JFK Jr really did make the most striking couple.

I've never questioned that Carole and Carolyn were close.  What I found strange were the claims that Carole doesn't have a single picture with both of them.  I really dislike having my picture taken, but I have pics of myself with every close friend I've ever had.

I think the legend of Carolyn Bessette Kennedy's "beauty" has several contributing factors.  She died young and tragically, the Kennedy mystique, being married to the most eligible man in the US, her connection to Calvin Klein, and her "I vant to be alone" relationship with the public.  Her style was nothing original - classic and simple.  Gaunt figure, hair pulled tightly into bun or pony tail, stick to black and white clothing, and clean simplistic lines.  I found her vapid, boring, and petulant about being in the public eye.  Yes yes, she's shy.  Well I'm a rather shy introvert, and I would have been miserable in her position.  But that's why I've never pursued the limelight.  If I passed her on the street, I would see a rather plain woman, over plucked eyebrows, stringy over bleached hair, gaunt figure, and a great sense of style.  I would probably call her chic, but not beautiful.  But everyone connected to the Kennedys eventually gets called beautiful.  And every young woman who dies tragically is deemed beautiful.

• Love 8
(edited)

I've never questioned that Carole and Carolyn were close.  What I found strange were the claims that Carole doesn't have a single picture with both of them.  I really dislike having my picture taken, but I have pics of myself with every close friend I've ever had.

I have no problem believing Carole but it also wouldn't shock me if she exaggerated because she's not above a disingenuous portrayal of herself (as Carrie Bradshaw or Forever 21 School Girl replete with ridiculous outfits like what she wore to B's new home).

That said, though, I remember before the proliferation of digital cameras and sharing platforms, I would be resigned to assuming I wouldn't even see photos I was in with friends let alone receive a copy. 

Edited by anonymiss
  • Love 2
(edited)

I know I am just a random poster on the internet, but my sister used to go to the same gym as JFK Jr, and she saw the 3 of them working out sometimes,or  walking down the street together.

I'm not sure how many of you remember the massive secrecy of the JFK jr- Carolyn wedding. It was on an island and kept secret. No pictures or actual knowledge of the wedding came out until it was over and done. Carolyn was  very very private.

Edited by JennyMominFL
  • Love 13
(edited)

Carole's book was a big deal when it came out. Lots of press and lots of attention. The story was tragic and interesting for lots of reasons, but mainly because her husband and close friends died 3 weeks apart. She garnered lots of attention, including an interview with the gal that could make an author and a book - Oprah. I find it impossible to believe that someone as noticeable in the public eye - Carolyn - who was sought after and noteworthy whether she wanted to be or not, could have someone writing a book and taking liberties with their friendship if it was untrue. Folks would have been clogging the airwaves to call Carole a liar. Her real BFF(s) would have been anxious to tell their story if Carole was lying. No way she could have gotten away with such a basic fact being a lie if it were. From what I understand (please correct me if I am wrong), Carolyn's family had issues with the Kennedy's immediately after the deaths about things like funeral arrangements. I think there was a level of distrust about the way things were handled. Surely they would have called Carole out of she were to be saying things or trying to establish a relationship that didn't exist?

Edited by motorcitymom65
  • Love 19

Carole's book was a big deal when it came out. Lots of press and lots of attention. The story was tragic and interesting for lots of reasons, but mainly because her husband and close friends died 3 weeks apart. She garnered lots of attention, including an interview with the gal that could make an author and a book - Oprah. I find it impossible to believe that someone as noticeable in the public eye - Carolyn - who was sought after and noteworthy whether she wanted to be or not, could have someone writing a book and taking liberties with their friendship if it was untrue. Folks would have been clogging the airwaves to call Carole a liar. Her real BFF(s) would have been anxious to tell their story if Carole was lying. No way she could have gotten away with such a basic fact being a lie if it were. From what I understand (please correct me if I am wrong), Carolyn's family had issues with the Kennedy's immediately after the deaths about things like funeral arrangements. I think there was a level of distrust about the way things were handled. Surely they would have called Carole out of she were to be saying things or trying to establish a relationship that didn't exist?

I think yes and no. There was a great deal of bad blood between the Bissets and the Kennedys, but Carole wasn't a Kennedy and I don't remeber bad blood between the Bissets and the Bouviers. And I remember the rumors about a ghost writer and Carole exaggerating her relationship with JFK Jr at the time. Nothing too big, but enough that I heard them at my low level NYC media job. I personally think they were at best an exaggeration of a rather mild situation, but it's not true that Aviva fabricated them out of the air. They've always been there. That's one of the reasons I shugged off Carole's outrage at Aviva's damage to her reputation. Those rumors have always been there. Aviva was a snake about bringing them up again, but she didn't create them.

• Love 4
(edited)

Here is where I got the spelling from: http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=big+tadoo

I appreciate seeing the UrbanDict definition but this spelling, to me, makes more sense.

Ramona really continues to be a piece of work. I might have to rewatch some earlier seasons for comparison but she seems to have exceeded all sense of not only self-awareness but also all sense of personal responsibility. And I think she thinks she's being coy, and cute.

Carole has really grown on me. She seems to be the most comfortable, of this group, in her own skin. Others (I'm looking at you Bethenny, LuAnn and Ramona) seem to just try to hard to be something elevated.

And I held that HOLLA! thing against Heather for a long time, and I still semi-roll my eyes every time I hear it, but I've grown to admire her more too.

Not many Housewives seem to garner much respect or admiration. Partly, I think, because they just try to hard.

Edited by NewDigs
  • Love 8

I was a journalist at a big newspaper for more than a decade, and I gotta say, Carole would fit right in there.

It gives you a certain perspective, a certain sophistication, a certain coolness, even, to work for a national news organization. You have to think fast, move fast, write fast, talk fast. It should change you. It does change you.

I don't think she's putting on airs; I believe it's really who she is. I think her relationship with Carolyn was just chance, as was her meeting and falling in love with her husband. She hasn't made a big deal of it from my perspective.

And her book, What Remains, is beautifully written. I'll even say that I truly believe that SHE wrote it.

• Love 20
(edited)

Carole has really grown on me. She seems to be the most comfortable, of this group, in her own skin. Others (I'm looking at you Bethenny, LuAnn and Ramona) seem to just try to hard to be something elevated.

I couldn't agree more.  I don't think Carole tries to "be cool" at all.  Honestly, I don't think she even gives that much of a shit.  She's just Carole.  She could have done and said all kinds of things that would impress, and we end up finding those things about her from sources other than her.  While many of the others capitalize on every single opportunity to toot their own horn, she's not been one of them.  She seems totally comfortable being Carole.

Edited by straightshooter
  • Love 12

Ive been  on the net since 97.  There are very few pics of me online until the mid-2000's. I think pics online increased in stages. We saw a jump when  digital cameras came up and you could upload right to the computer.  There was another  big jump when cell phones started having cameras. The last big jump when when sites like My Space , Facebook and Instagram gave people a place to post a pic of every facet of their life.

• Love 6

Ive been  on the net since 97.  There are very few pics of me online until the mid-2000's. I think pics online increased in stages. We saw a jump when  digital cameras came up and you could upload right to the computer.  There was another  big jump when cell phones started having cameras. The last big jump when when sites like My Space , Facebook and Instagram gave people a place to post a pic of every facet of their life.

....and the era of narcissism began!  ;)

• Love 8

I couldn't agree more.  I don't think Carole tries to "be cool" at all.  Honestly, I don't think she even gives that much of a shit. 

I think she cares a lot.  Lots of things she did prior to her getting bent out of shape because Aviva copied her reading glasses (the NOIVE!) made me believe she's a prickly little thing who tries very hard to seem cool and laid back.

I just can't think of her as authentically cool.  Because, blowies and bear suits and hickies and boyz!  Feet on the dashboard, butt on bicycle handlebars.  Sex dreams about someone she's trying to befriend. I think of her as trying really hard to be cool.  For a 15 year old.

• Love 14

I certainly hope there isn't a first draft of What Remains in Carole's safe deposit box that gets unearthed in thirty years when Carole is old and even more dotty than she is now and it is published and we find out that it was Carole's editor who did a great job turning it into a tear-jerking memoir of grief.

I have one really bad photo with one of my best friends of the past eight or nine years that I would NEVER IN A MILLION YEARS PUT IN A BOOK.  That doesn't mean we aren't best friends.  Everyone around us knows it.

I just can't think of her as authentically cool.  Because, blowies and bear suits and hickies and boyz!  Feet on the dashboard, butt on bicycle handlebars.  Sex dreams about someone she's trying to befriend. I think of her as trying really hard to be cool.  For a 15 year old.

Yeah, first season I was so excited that she was becoming a housewife because I knew who she was and loved her book.  She did a great job of ruining my image of her. Still, there are moments when I like her, and if I had the chance to be her friend in real life, I would. But then of course I would tell her, "don't do that stupid stuff that you did on tv around me. You are better than that."

• Love 1
(edited)

Ive been on the net since 97. There are very few pics of me online until the mid-2000's. I think pics online increased in stages. We saw a jump when digital cameras came up and you could upload right to the computer. There was another big jump when cell phones started having cameras. The last big jump when when sites like My Space , Facebook and Instagram gave people a place to post a pic of every facet of their life.

Yeah. I've had the same best friend since Jr High and pictures of us go in phases. There are a bunch in High School since we would be in group shots together (neither of us are picture girls on our own) then almost nothing in our 20s. Honestly, I think there are 2 pictures of us together in 10 years, both at weddings. Then everyone started getting smartphones and now we have a bunch of pictures of us together. But in the late 1990s? As I said, maybe 1 or 2 that are after High School. Before smartphones, taking a picture of every night out was not something that grown ups did. I doubt it would have occurred to Carolyn and Carole to take a bunch of pics together. Now I have to stop defending Carole. It just feels wrong.

Edited by FozzyBear
  • Love 5

I think she cares a lot. Lots of things she did prior to her getting bent out of shape because Aviva copied her reading glasses (the NOIVE!) made me believe she's a prickly little thing who tries very hard to seem cool and laid back.

I just can't think of her as authentically cool. Because, blowies and bear suits and hickies and boyz! Feet on the dashboard, butt on bicycle handlebars. Sex dreams about someone she's trying to befriend. I think of her as trying really hard to be cool. For a 15 year old.

I don't like her because she was hella nasty to LuAnn at the start. I don't know from cool, but I can sniff out beyotch.

• Love 4