Type keyword(s) to search

S07.E16: Awfully Charitable

• Start Topic

Actually it was Ramona that started the "mutt and Jeff" routine by calling Carole Heather's "lackey", Carole just responded to her nasty comment. Heather then defended Carole and Ramona then accused Heather of doing/being it for Carole! I thought that scene was hysterical myself. The other HWs and viewers have accused Carole of being Heather's puppet for a couple of years now and they finally addressed it head on. JMO

Completely agree. Why is it that these gals are never supposed to defend themselves against Ramona? She does/says stupid stuff, and if they engage, then they are the ones who didn't take the high road. She is the one who brought up the "mutt and jeff" stuff, but if they finish it, then somehow they are wrong. It would get beyond tedious to continue to be accused of something, but the accusation keeps changing, which they did a great job of highlighting.  First it's Heather who always defends Carole, but then it's Carole who always defends Heather. What I love is how it is perceived as some type of a weakness. What probably drives Ramona crazy is that they have someone they know is going to defend them. Ramona doesn't have that (or provide that) for her BFF Sonja. I often wonder if at the end of the day this doesn't cause some angst in some of the girls. There is nothing that Bravo and Andy love more than when one friends turns on the other. You can pretty much always count on every friendship going south at some point, even if only for a short time. In this case, that is probably not going to happen. 

In this case Heather didn't go nearly as far she she should have with Ramona. For whatever reason, Ramona decided to take out her anger on Heather, even though it wasn't Heather's event. Since that was her tactic, I would have taken the opportunity to let her know exactly what my role in the event had been. Made sure to bring up on camera all the stuff I had donated in comparison to what she had donated, mentioned that my team helped design and build the structure of the event, that I had donated the manpower to work the event. Then I would have asked again what Ramona had done. Unless someone read Kristen and Heather's blog, they had no idea exactly how much Heather had put into the event. Since Ramona's idea was to try and make herself look good at the expense of the charity, I would have made sure to make her look petty. For some reason Heather didn't seem to want to humiliate Ramona, which would have been my objective in that moment. 

• Love 9

Completely agree. Why is it that these gals are never supposed to defend themselves against Ramona? She does/says stupid stuff, and if they engage, then they are the ones who didn't take the high road. She is the one who brought up the "mutt and jeff" stuff, but if they finish it, then somehow they are wrong. It would get beyond tedious to continue to be accused of something, but the accusation keeps changing, which they did a great job of highlighting.  First it's Heather who always defends Carole, but then it's Carole who always defends Heather. What I love is how it is perceived as some type of a weakness. What probably drives Ramona crazy is that they have someone they know is going to defend them. Ramona doesn't have that (or provide that) for her BFF Sonja. I often wonder if at the end of the day this doesn't cause some angst in some of the girls. There is nothing that Bravo and Andy love more than when one friends turns on the other. You can pretty much always count on every friendship going south at some point, even if only for a short time. In this case, that is probably not going to happen. 

In this case Heather didn't go nearly as far she she should have with Ramona. For whatever reason, Ramona decided to take out her anger on Heather, even though it wasn't Heather's event. Since that was her tactic, I would have taken the opportunity to let her know exactly what my role in the event had been. Made sure to bring up on camera all the stuff I had donated in comparison to what she had donated, mentioned that my team helped design and build the structure of the event, that I had donated the manpower to work the event. Then I would have asked again what Ramona had done. Unless someone read Kristen and Heather's blog, they had no idea exactly how much Heather had put into the event. Since Ramona's idea was to try and make herself look good at the expense of the charity, I would have made sure to make her look petty. For some reason Heather didn't seem to want to humiliate Ramona, which would have been my objective in that moment. 

ITA. If Heather/Carole ignored Ramona's nasty/petty comment, they would have been seen, by some, as agreeing with Ramona's accusation of "playing mutt & Jeff" on purpose. Both Ramona and Bethenny (in T&C) have made comments about how Heather is THE puppet master over Carole this season and it is getting stale/old IMO. Maybe neither of these HWs have ever had a friend stand up for them in real life and we know when push comes to shove, both Ramona and Bethenny, alongside Sonja/LuAnn/Dorinda, would sell their own mothers if it meant more camera time and/or keeping their Apple! 

As for Heather not going in on Ramona to further humiliate her on camera, she didn't need to, she gave Ramona enough room to do it herself and Ramona jumped at the chance! LOL

• Love 6
(edited)

I'm pretty sure that is Carole in that picture with CBK and JFK Jr. too.

I've never questioned that Carole and Carolyn were close.  What I found strange were the claims that Carole doesn't have a single picture with both of them.  I really dislike having my picture taken, but I have pics of myself with every close friend I've ever had.

I think the legend of Carolyn Bessette Kennedy's "beauty" has several contributing factors.  She died young and tragically, the Kennedy mystique, being married to the most eligible man in the US, her connection to Calvin Klein, and her "I vant to be alone" relationship with the public.  Her style was nothing original - classic and simple.  Gaunt figure, hair pulled tightly into bun or pony tail, stick to black and white clothing, and clean simplistic lines.  I found her vapid, boring, and petulant about being in the public eye.  Yes yes, she's shy.  Well I'm a rather shy introvert, and I would have been miserable in her position.  But that's why I've never pursued the limelight.  If I passed her on the street, I would see a rather plain woman, over plucked eyebrows, stringy over bleached hair, gaunt figure, and a great sense of style.  I would probably call her chic, but not beautiful.  But everyone connected to the Kennedys eventually gets called beautiful.  And every young woman who dies tragically is deemed beautiful.

Well, clearly, beauty is subjective. Personally, I thought she was stunning the first time I saw a picture of her on People magazine, and I continue to think that until this day.  And I strongly disagree that every young woman who dies young is considered beautiful.

I don't like her because she was hella nasty to LuAnn at the start. I don't know from cool, but I can sniff out beyotch.

I think we might be wandering into hyperbole territory here.  Was she a little snarky towards Lu - both in person and in her talking heads? Yes.  But hella nasty?  I don't think so.  We need only look back to how Ramona treated both Kristin and Heather in their first seasons to see real, authentic examples of that particular behavior.

Cool summary. ;) I also think she considers herself cooler-than-thou by how she looked down at antiquated Ramona's attempt at flirting and made it clear she considers herself an arbiter of "game," of which she scoffed that Ramona has none.

Personally I think she was just stating a fact.  Ramona was acting ridiculous at that bar.  And Carole was hardly the only Housewife to comment on Ramona's terrible flirting skills. Bethenny was on a tear about it that night AT the bar, IIRC.

Other than her addition of jeans (yes, I know it was a theme party) to a stunning dress, I just want to see Kristen slapped to sleep when she makes the age digs.  Much like Brandi formerly of RHOBH and now Meghan of RHOC, it is unbecoming.  When the brainless blonde said, they brought out their clothes from 1980 and blinged it out. ( I won't quote it but I know she said 1980 emphasis)  All I could think of with the exception of Ramona, none of the other women were of even legal drinking age in 1980.  So STFU Kristen.  Add to it her husband is older than Bethenny and Heather and just a couple years younger than Dorinda, Sonja, LuAnn and Carole.   It is hard to like Kristen when her whole story line is how she is younger, amused and tolerates the other ladies.   

I am not cool with age shaming and I think it's terrible when people do that.  I just really didn't see Kristin doing that.  I thought she said "the 80s" and well, yea, Ramona and Sonja probably do have some clothes from the 80s.  In fact, Sonja made the comment to Ramona during the jeans decorating party.  "So 80s....so you."  Being that Moaner is what? 7 years older than Sonja....was Sonja age-shaming too? 

"Adam and I had our first big fight the other night."  Him: "Did we???"

I mean, he like, left in the morning without saying goodbye!   Without even, like, kissing her on the head or anything!

Dude must have the patience of a saint.

I took that to mean he didn't think it was a BIG fight.  Just a misunderstanding.  Like, haven't you and your husband ever had a conversation and the 2 of you came away from it with completely different interpretations?  God bless ya if you haven't because I'd said that's nearly a daily occurrence in the Duke household!

Edited by Duke2801
  • Love 9
I also think she considers herself cooler-than-thou by how she looked down at antiquated Ramona's attempt at flirting and made it clear she considers herself an arbiter of "game," of which she scoffed that Ramona has none.

Bethenny and LuAnn did the same thing in the 1st…2nd?…season though - they questioned Ramona's dating "rules" and at least Bethenny made a crack about how they were as dated as Ramona's Jane Fonda aerobics attire.

I'm at the point with Ramona that I don't even think it's necessarily an opinion that the woman's socially graceless and clueless - more like a statement of fact.

• Love 8

I'm at the point with Ramona that I don't even think it's necessarily an opinion that the woman's socially graceless and clueless - more like a statement of fact.

On the flipside, that's what makes Ramona so hilarious to watch---her social gracelessness and random blurts/behaviors make her an infuriating friend but an awesome "Real Housewife."

Think about all the other OG/MVP Housewives in the other franchises: Vicki from the OC, NeNe from Atlanta, Teresa from NJ, Lisa from BH((or Kyle?))...they're all awful in their own weird ways, but they make for such damned entertaining television. You know that if they're in a scene, they'll likely cause a scene. Or at least provoke an odd conversation/turn of events.

I know a lot of people hate her, but I'd sure miss Ramona's ridiculous antics if she ever left this show. And I'd especially miss her "turtle time" antics with Sonja.

• Love 5
(edited)

I would not miss Ramona.  At all.  Or Sonja.  Or Luann.  I'm over all of them, not that I ever liked any of them.  After so many seasons, they are all played out and are now unpalatable, like cheese that's been sitting out on a plate all day and is all dried up.

Edited by izabella
  • Love 5

On the flipside, that's what makes Ramona so hilarious to watch---her social gracelessness and random blurts/behaviors make her an infuriating friend but an awesome "Real Housewife."

Think about all the other OG/MVP Housewives in the other franchises: Vicki from the OC, NeNe from Atlanta, Teresa from NJ, Lisa from BH((or Kyle?))...they're all awful in their own weird ways, but they make for such damned entertaining television. You know that if they're in a scene, they'll likely cause a scene. Or at least provoke an odd conversation/turn of events.

I know a lot of people hate her, but I'd sure miss Ramona's ridiculous antics if she ever left this show. And I'd especially miss her "turtle time" antics with Sonja.

I do agree that she is in the "I love to hate her" category for me. 

• Love 2
(edited)

Does anyone know how much $ was raised? I Googled out of curiosity but admit, I didn't knock myself out either :) It seemed like an odd thing to bid on - jeans in one size, and a size that not every woman is going to fit into! I guess some people would want the jeans that a HW designed just to...have, I guess, and not wear. But that's still a pretty niche thing to bid on. And I don't know if most women feel this way, but jeans are the sort of thing I have to try on in-store.

I would also like to know how much money was raised, because the event did not seem well attended. From my experience in non profit, the events are a lot of work and a lot of money to put on, I hope they got some damn good offers on the silent auction! The Yummie denim pop up store is a cool idea, and a great opportunity for Yummie and Heather, but I wonder how many jeans were actually sold. Are people trying on? Is anyone really shopping for denim during an event? It seems like the diamond (bling) might be an easier sell. I appreciate that Kristen wants to get involved in a "charity", but really.....just write a check. It's so much better.

I will admit, I rolled my eyes during the Kristen and Heather scene about how Kristen is "in it" now. I feel like this event was more about self promotion for both of them. Perhaps I just have post stress traumatic something or other (thanks Ramona) from all the fundraising events I've had to work on...I should self medicate myself.

Edited by shoegal
  • Love 2
(edited)
I know a lot of people hate her, but I'd sure miss Ramona's ridiculous antics if she ever left this show. 

Oh, I agree. That's why I can't quit her entirely as a viewer. Her work-out routine in stripper heels by the pool was the high point of the 4-episode Turks & Caicos story for me, as well as Bethenny and LuAnn's ability to predict exactly what she was going to do. Ramona's act isn't put-on, she's just naturally batshit and unfiltered. 

But even her most die-hard supporters would likely agree that the woman is lacking in grace and class. (Not that they all aren't in one degree or another :))

The Yummie denim pop up store is a cool idea

Has anyone seen Yummie's jeans? For some reason I keep picturing them as jeggings…or those "as seen on TV" jean pajamas.

Edited by archer1267
  • Love 4

Listen. This is why I feel the way I do about the so-called high road and expecting people to take it. I don't know what is so gracious or wonderful about not speaking up for yourself in the face of someone being an ass to you. It's like, "Oh, look how great that person is for taking such verbal assault." Excuse me? 

Ramona started in, and Carole and Heather finished it. 

• Love 9

I would also like to know how much money was raised, because the event did not seem well attended. From my experience in non profit, the events are a lot of work and a lot of money to put on, I hope they got some damn good offers on the silent auction! The Yummie denim pop up store is a cool idea, and a great opportunity for Yummie and Heather, but I wonder how many jeans were actually sold. Are people trying on? Is anyone really shopping for denim during an event? It seems like the diamond (bling) might be an easier sell. I appreciate that Kristen wants to get involved in a "charity", but really.....just write a check. It's so much better.

I will admit, I rolled my eyes during the Kristen and Heather scene about how Kristen is "in it" now. I feel like this event was more about self promotion for both of them. Perhaps I just have post stress traumatic something or other (thanks Ramona) from all the fundraising events I've had to work on...I should self medicate myself.

I found this...... http://www.smiletrain.org/landing/kristen-taekman/ . Kristen says she helped 100 smiles, at $250 per cleft surgery that would put her total raised at around $25,000. Not bad for a first time event for Kristen. I think the auction even for the jeans decorated by HWs (I believe that Zoeysmom already posted this info) was around $2000, so the rest of the event raised $23K.

I don't know how many attendees were at the charity party they filmed but it is possible that many did not want to appear on camera and hence the appearance that it was not well attended.

• Love 4

Does anyone know what the tickets cost?  I was amazed the cost of surgery was only $250.00. 

I worked on a charity event for Operation Smile in 2013.   The cost of surgery was $240 only two years ago.  The doctors donate their time so the only cost is for the medical supplies needed for surgery.

• Love 3
(edited)

I found this...... http://www.smiletrain.org/landing/kristen-taekman/ . Kristen says she helped 100 smiles, at $250 per cleft surgery that would put her total raised at around $25,000. Not bad for a first time event for Kristen. I think the auction even for the jeans decorated by HWs (I believe that Zoeysmom already posted this info) was around $2000, so the rest of the event raised $23K.

I don't know how many attendees were at the charity party they filmed but it is possible that many did not want to appear on camera and hence the appearance that it was not well attended.

What I question is how much was *really* raised, meaning how much they made after recouping the costs to put on the event. From my experience, that amount is not what the organization puts out to the public.

ETA: what I did find is that one guy on a treadmill raised as much as the Denim + Diamonds event. With less work and cost for SmileTrain! https://smiletrainorg.wordpress.com/tag/dave-coligado/

Edited by shoegal

What I question is how much was *really* raised, meaning how much they made after recouping the costs to put on the event. From my experience, that amount is not what the organization puts out to the public.

ETA: what I did find is that one guy on a treadmill raised as much as the Denim + Diamonds event. With less work and cost for SmileTrain! https://smiletrainorg.wordpress.com/tag/dave-coligado/

My guess is that it did as least as well as most of the other charity events that we see on these shows. Generally just a handful of folks there outside of the ones on the show.  They have to get signed releases from anyone else who attends, and I'm not sure how many people want to give themselves over to Bravo and whatever horrid thing Ramona might say to them on camera. I look at these events as being wonderful opportunities to give press to an organization or a cause that we might otherwise know little about. They have the ability to educate the masses on what they are about, but I'm not sure that they ever raise a great deal of money on that actual night. The benefits are probably seen down the line. 

• Love 7
(edited)

Very often the venue is donated for publicity and a tax write-off so the cost of putting on the event could have been minimal.

I don't doubt Kristen's statement about raising enough money for 100 surgeries.  

Edited by AnnA
  • Love 7

Well, now you know.

Twenty years from now when we're watching, "Bethenny Starting Over Again in Assisted Living", you'll know what she's talking about when she resurrects that old nugget.

Hahaha Word to your mutha! The only phrase she won't re use is Where's the beef, imagine how skinny she will be then from her self induced non eating....

• Love 2

Well, we know that all the jeans/help Heather and Bethenny's booze/snacks/gift bags donated cost Smiletrain nothing but I don't know about the food, the signage, the diamonds or the venue. Lets hope everything was a 100% donation from everyone but I doubt it and there is always some cost involved in covering their, any charity, own costs.

As for the way Dave Cologado raised money, it was similar to what Heather did for No Barriers Charity. That is a wonderful way to raise money/awareness but they are not the best/easiest way to film a charity event for a show.

• Love 2
(edited)

Very often the venue is donated for publicity and tax write-off so the cost of putting on the event could have been minimal.

I don't doubt Kristen's statement about raising enough money for 100 surgeries.

I've been on the coordinating end of many fundraising galas, golf tournaments, luncheons, wine tastings, etc....I don't believe the cost of putting that event together would have been minimal. I'm not doubting what was raised, just wondering how much the organization actually gained. They could have lost money, technically.

I appreciate that Kristen wants to get involved in a "charity", but it would be nice IMO if she were to do it in a less self promotional way. I really get irritated with the housewives "charity" thing, (even just calling it a "charity" chaps my ass) it just turns me off. It makes me think of Dorinda's line "money talks, wealth whispers". I feel Iike the housewives are shouting!

Edited by shoegal
  • Love 1
(edited)
As someone who has had sex with a few relatively famous chefs (I went through a chef groupie thing), I can tell you that chefs SUCK in bed.

As in some Top Chef contestants, maybe?

All I could think of with the exception of Ramona, none of the other women were of even legal drinking age in 1980.

Why would them not being of drinking age matter? They still would've been wearing 80s fashions.

For whatever reason, Ramona decided to take out her anger on Heather, even though it wasn't Heather's event.

Apparently, there doesn't need to be a reason to hate on Heather this season. As it was with S4 LisaVDP, if there's no valid basis for a beef with her, then by gosh one is going to be pulled out from somewhere, no matter how far up an ass or how thin the air. But, like Lisa, Heather wins at life, so the others keep looking like desperate fools.

I appreciate that Kristen wants to get involved in a "charity", but really.....just write a check. It's so much better.

The quotation marks  - is Smile Train not a legitimate charity or something?

I don't understand why just writing a check would've been better than having a televised event that would bring about a bigger check and more awareness. *shrugs*

I don't know what is so gracious or wonderful about not speaking up for yourself in the face of someone being an ass to you.

Not to mention, it's very easy for one to say after the fact that they would've taken the high road, and when they weren't the one being personally affected.

Edited by jaync
  • Love 6

I've been on the coordinating end of many fundraising galas, golf tournaments, luncheons, wine tastings, etc....I don't believe the cost of putting that event together would have been minimal. I'm not doubting what was raised, just wondering how much the organization actually gained. They could have lost money, technically.

I appreciate that Kristen wants to get involved in a charity, but it would be nice IMO if she were to do it in a less self promotional way. I really get irritated with the housewives "charity" thing, it just turns me off.

But if they did it in a "less self promotional way" it would not make it past the editors! LOL

• Love 4

The quotation marks  - is Smile Train not a legitimate charity or something?

I don't understand why just writing a check would've been better than having a televised event that would bring about a bigger check and more awareness. *shrugs*

SmileTrain is a great, legitimate non profit organization. Having spent over a decade working for non profits, the "charity" thing just bugs me. It's just a connotation that I find personally annoying.

Also, having worked in development....awareness is great, but it doesn't pay salaries. Big checks do.

But if they did it in a "less self promotional way" it would not make it past the editors! LOL

That's my point, I wish it wouldn't.

SmileTrain is a great, legitimate non profit organization.

Good, then it's great that Kristen was able to showcase them.

Also, having worked in development....awareness is great, but it doesn't pay salaries. Big checks do.

Maybe the added awareness from the show will bring in some big checks. Like me, there may be many other viewers who didn't previously know of SmileTrain and what they can do for so little, and will now be encouraged to donate.

• Love 15

Good, then it's great that Kristen was able to showcase them.

Maybe the added awareness from the show will bring in some big checks. Like me, there may be many other viewers who didn't previously know of SmileTrain and what they can do for so little, and will now be encouraged to donate.

I would be shocked if the Real Housewives of New York translated to any significant amount of anything for Smile Train. They are a huge, well known international organization.

• Love 1
(edited)

I didn't realize bringing awareness to an organization was a bad thing.

Kristen did a great thing. She helped put Smile Train on TV, people are talking about it. She helped raise money for children to have surgery.... All good!

I would be shocked if the Real Housewives of New York translated to any significant amount of anything for Smile Train. They are a huge, well known international organization.

Bringing attention is good imo. I don't see the down side.

Edited by imjagain
  • Love 19
(edited)

Good, then it's great that Kristen was able to showcase them.

Maybe the added awareness from the show will bring in some big checks. Like me, there may be many other viewers who didn't previously know of SmileTrain and what they can do for so little, and will now be encouraged to donate.

Good point! :) The TV exposure was donated by RHONY...what would a TV commercial cost the charity...plenty. Thanks to Kristen/Bravo production company SmileTrain has benefited financially from the exposure. Many who have never heard of the organization will Look them up and maybe donate.

https://www2.smiletrain.org/powerofasmile/donate-now-i/?sctp=ppc&sccm=brand&scvn=google&scsrc=google_search&sckw=smiletrain%20charity&s_src=SEARCH_Google&s_subsrc=Brand&gclid=COD6rabp-8YCFY2RHwodVH0ELw

http://www.smiletrain.org/newsroom/the-real-housewives-of-new-york-city-feature-smile-train.html

Donate Now

Every year 170,000+ children are born with cleft lip and/or palate. Most can’t afford surgery.

Smile Train provides free cleft repair surgeries to those in need while helping to train local doctors.

This makes it possible for a child born with a cleft to eat, breathe, speak properly, and smile.

A gift of any amount will help us provide more than 350 new smiles a day.

Kristen Taekman’s Smile Train Journey

On January 21, 2015, Smile Train supporter Kristen Taekman had the opportunity to visit our local partners and patients in Mexico.

http://l.facebook.com/l.php?u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.smiletrain.org%2Flanding%2Fkristen-taekman%2F&h=HAQHGi1WC&enc=AZMUHN-xYjS-HBchv1LTCsNzkEWRWwR7NPhmkU_AZojM61C6TPbStqIKvfZ4J3Sqar0nC5OeTZG5w7ofmzvI6Aj7yY8ug42h38v074tlgoTm9gCVm4ciiTEe8Kc-j2L0zqEauU1Ydxv-n6dF_fBONtiBaA-_wH-50LswEC9xo139XXoRHQVMoJgFJaiXB3LdHsDL3KH1yQSgeGow89ia7h3e&s=1

Edited by talula
  • Love 7
(edited)

Kristen did a great thing. She helped put Smile Train on TV, people are talking about it. She helped raise money for children to have surgery.... All good!

It's not a "bad" thing. It was great for Kristen and Heather! Kristen gets to feel all warm and fuzzy for being "charitable" (but don't mess up her hair!) and Heather gets to promote her denim line. Smile Train gets free publicity and maybe (hopefully) comes out with more money than they put in to the event.

I'm just saying my preference when it comes to fundraising - the people who walk softly and write a (big) check.

Edited by shoegal
  • Love 1

As for Heather not going in on Ramona to further humiliate her on camera, she didn't need to, she gave Ramona enough room to do it herself and Ramona jumped at the chance! LOL

That's exactly my point, though.  We all know what Ramona is.  Love her, hate her or both, who doesn't agree that she's uncouth and a motormouth? Do we really need anyone else trying to point out the obvious?  (Although what kind of show would it be then? LOL)  She says the things she does to get attention.

If people wouldn't engage, sooner or later she'd stop because she'd not be getting any. This is a lesson I taught my kindergartners early on. But this is Ramona we're talking about. 

There are people IRL and online who like to annoy/torment/bait just because they know they'll get a rise out of ya and they need attention.  Ignoring them is the best way to handle those little buggers, imo.  However, we're not on a TV show where we need screen time.

Just once I'd like one of the HWs to say 'Bye, Felicia' and put their money where their considerable mouths are.  Really mean it.  Or even just turn on their heel and leave the idjit standing there, poised for battle, with no one to fight with. Even though I know before the end of the season they'll be hugging it out. 

• Love 4

I personally had never heard of them till I saw them on RHoNY.  So they're not up there with the giant groups that everyone knows about, like St. Jude or the Red Cross or the American Cancer Society.  I doubt they're objecting to having their name made more widely known.

It's not a "bad" thing. It was great for Kristen and Heather! Kristen gets to feel all warm and fuzzy for being "charitable" (but don't mess up her hair!) and Heather gets to promote her denim line. Smile Train gets free publicity and maybe (hopefully) comes out with more money than they put in to the event.

I'm just saying my preference when it comes to fundraising - the people who walk softly and write a big check.

Now that I know about them, and about how little it takes to transform a child's life forever, I'll certainly send them a check.  Is there a difference between one big check and hundreds or thousands of smaller ones?  The math is the same in the end.

• Love 18

I personally had never heard of them till I saw them on RHoNY.  So they're not up there with the giant groups that everyone knows about, like St. Jude or the Red Cross or the American Cancer Society.  I doubt they're objecting to having their name made more widely known.

Now that I know about them, and about how little it takes to transform a child's life forever, I'll certainly send them a check.  Is there a difference between one big check and hundreds or thousands of smaller ones?  The math is the same in the end.

Smile Train is a prominent international organization, they are very well known. Any check is welcome, for sure, but from a fundraising perspective, yes there is a difference in terms of staff time and effort, and in the case of events-cost to the organization.

I wish Bravo would have filmed the trip to Mexico, so that we could see the doctors and staff who are actually doing the work of changing lives. That would have been worthwhile IMO.

• Love 3

It's selling Heather's jeans and skivvies!  I would hope the same could be said for the charities. Probably not but one could hope. 

Heather should track how much biz she's generating from the show (from this forum alone!) by asking viewers to use a promo code when purchasing.  And $10 or whatever would go to a charity of her choice.  I'd like to think that raising awareness for their charities really IS a reason why they do these shows and not just to hawk their wares.

I'd say Bethenny should do this, too, but I don't think anybody here is buying anything she's selling.

• Love 4

Carol and her hair are looking rode hard and put away wet.  And what's with the Patty Boyd Harrison gloves?  You can say anyone is your best friend after they died.  I heard she is not well loved by her inlaws.

• Love 1
(edited)

I'm just saying my preference when it comes to fundraising - the people who walk softly and write a (big) check.

Bottom line, no one will donate if they have never heard of you or your charity. You have a different perspective because you are already involved in the charity world beyond local charities in your community, that is not the case for most people though. How much do the large charities your are involved with pay for advertising, national advertising, mailings asking for donations, here, SmileTrain covered a wide area and not just in the US but also abroad in 1 fell swoop which saves them big money in the end.

ETA, this charity even t was done with very little controversy/fighting which is not always the case with Bravo and I applaud production and the HWs for that. It is about time IMO.

Smile Train is a prominent international organization, they are very well known. Any check is welcome, for sure, but from a fundraising perspective, yes there is a difference in terms of staff time and effort, and in the case of events-cost to the organization.

I wish Bravo would have filmed the trip to Mexico, so that we could see the doctors and staff who are actually doing the work of changing lives. That would have been worthwhile IMO.

I agree, it would have been great to see the follow through with Kristen going to Mexico but we are talking about Bravo here. Their bottom line is DRAMA, not charity/good deeds.

Edited by WireWrap
  • Love 12

Bottom line, no one will donate if they have never heard of you or your charity. You have a different perspective because you are already involved in the charity world beyond local charities in your community, that is not the case for most people though. How much do the large charities your are involved with pay for advertising, national advertising, mailings asking for donations, here, SmileTrain covered a wide area and not just in the US but also abroad in 1 fell swoop which saves them big money in the end.

ETA, this charity even t was done with very little controversy/fighting which is not always the case with Bravo and I applaud production and the HWs for that. It is about time IMO.

I agree, it would have been great to see the follow through with Kristen going to Mexico but we are talking about Bravo here. Their bottom line is DRAMA, not charity/good deeds.

Every dime counts, but Smile Train is not existing on mailing campaigns. They are probably the largest cleft palate organization in the world. There is a reason that they have VP's of planned giving, corporate partnerships and a team of staff for major gifts.

What you say about Bravo is exactly why I hate when they do their obligatory "charity" event.

• Love 1

But think how much less controversy had Heather and Carole ignored Moaner and left her standing there with her piehole hanging wide open!  I know, I know...Ramona started it and it's hard to let her have the last word. But once...just once...I'd like to see Ramona standing there after saying something stupid while the recipient of the stupid just gracefully turned and walked away.  Or smiled knowingly and THEN walked away. 

• Love 5

It's selling Heather's jeans and skivvies!  I would hope the same could be said for the charities. Probably not but one could hope. 

Heather should track how much biz she's generating from the show (from this forum alone!) by asking viewers to use a promo code when purchasing.  And $10 or whatever would go to a charity of her choice.  I'd like to think that raising awareness for their charities really IS a reason why they do these shows and not just to hawk their wares.

I'd say Bethenny should do this, too, but I don't think anybody here is buying anything she's selling.

I believe Heather donated YT jeans, not her underwear line pieces. LOL As for me buying her YTs, I started buying them before she joined the show, fell in love with them then, not after or because she joined. LOL IMO, Bethenny has received far more product placement this year than Heather has in her 3 years on the show IMO. And from the "first look" yesterday, we are not through seeing/hearing about SG by any stretch of the imagination! LOL

• Love 6

But think how much less controversy had Heather and Carole ignored Moaner and left her standing there with her piehole hanging wide open!  I know, I know...Ramona started it and it's hard to let her have the last word. But once...just once...I'd like to see Ramona standing there after saying something stupid while the recipient of the stupid just gracefully turned and walked away.  Or smiled knowingly and THEN walked away. 

Heather did but then Ramona moved on to Carole and got ugly which, IMO, deserved a rebuttal.

• Love 3

Maybe we should ask one of those kids with a repaired palate how s/he feels about it.  I can't speak for anyone but myself, but I'm guessing they're all good.

Wouldn't it be nice if Bravo actually featured the story of one of these kids? Instead, we got Kristen getting to be the belle of the ball and a promotional commercial for Heather. Yay.

(edited)

I believe Heather donated YT jeans, not her underwear line pieces. LOL As for me buying her YTs, I started buying them before she joined the show, fell in love with them then, not after or because she joined. LOL IMO, Bethenny has received far more product placement this year than Heather has in her 3 years on the show IMO. And from the "first look" yesterday, we are not through seeing/hearing about SG by any stretch of the imagination! LOL

I know.  I was responding to shoegal wondering if RHONY would make any impact on the donations for SmileTrain.   RHONY has certainly been good for Yummie awareness as many posters are saying they're buying her jeans and undies.  But yeah, I know she wasn't selling the underwear at the fundraiser.  Just the jeans.  Which I think was a nice thing for her to do.

Edited by ryebread
  • Love 4
(edited)

Listen. This is why I feel the way I do about the so-called high road and expecting people to take it. I don't know what is so gracious or wonderful about not speaking up for yourself in the face of someone being an ass to you. It's like, "Oh, look how great that person is for taking such verbal assault." Excuse me? 

Ramona started in, and Carole and Heather finished it. 

I agree!  Eff the high road.  Totally overrated!  Annnd it reminds me of one of my favorite Tom Haverford's (Aziz Ansari) lines on Parks and Rec:

“I have never taken the high road, but I tell other people to ’cause then there’s more room for me on the low road.”

Wouldn't it be nice if Bravo actually featured the story of one of these kids? Instead, we got Kristen getting to be the belle of the ball and a promotional commercial for Heather. Yay.

I have little doubt that Heather or Kristin would have loved to see one of the Smile Train kids featured. But as we know, that is not up to them.

Edited by Duke2801
  • Love 14

I know.  I was responding to shoegal wondering if RHONY would make any impact on the donations for SmileTrain.   RHONY has certainly been good for Yummie awareness as many posters are saying they're buying her jeans and undies.  But yeah, I know she wasn't selling the underwear at the fundraiser.  Just the jeans.  Which I think was a nice thing for her to do.

OMG, this reminds me of the "charity event" that Heather did last season (?) that was a fashion show for her shape wear line! Heather is certainly getting miles out of these events.

Oh ya know - just another case of damned if they do, damned if they don't.
  • Love 14
(edited)

As in some Top Chef contestants, maybe?

Bravo + Chefs = Top Chef. Spill some secrets, bravofan27!

I'm with jaync, talula and other posters who think this was great for SmileTrain. Kristen was able to raise awareness of the organization through TV time and social media promotion as well as the special event, and I'm sure it will all pay off for SmileTrain.

Unfortunately, the rest of Kristen and Heather's good works got left on the cutting room floor this season.

I thought it was hilarious when Heather and Carole owned Ramona about the charity signage. "Oh, take a walk," indeed.

Edited by missy jo
  • Love 13

And I strongly disagree that every young woman who dies young is considered beautiful.

Actually, it happens so often that it's become cliché, and it's unfortunate.  I'm a news magazine junkie.  I've seen every Dateline, 48 Hours, Paula Zahn, etc. for years.  Every dead young woman is BEE-YOO-TUH-FUL.  Every.single.one.  Occasionally, they throw in a "popular", too.  It bothers me for two reasons.  First, it's simply not true.  This forces me to feel guilty when I disagree.  But most importantly, it lessens a woman's worth to the most superficial.  Rarely is a tragically killed young male's appearance referenced.  It also implies that it's less of a tragedy when an unattractive woman dies.

It's a pet peeve of mine, which is how it ended up in my post.  A dead woman's lifestyle is also viewed differently.  When a dead woman was sleeping around, her "lifestyle is risky".  When it's a man, he's a fun loving bachelor, who's popular with the ladies.

• Love 6
(edited)

Didn't Bethenny do this on the bridge essentially? That was probably the worst thing Ramona has ever said to anyone and I remember B being rendered speechless by it. I think it genuinely hurt her too.  I could be remembering wrong though, did she react in person? 

I don't want people to freeze Ramona out, because she's a horrible person but I do love to hate her. I loved Lisa V freezing Brandi out because I wanted that useless sack fired. But also, I don't think I'd be able to be around Ramona and not engage her. Brandi I would never want to deal with and would just avoid her easily but Ramona, lol I'd take the bait every time. 

Maybe it's because I just watched this episode of Friends, but the debate over whether Kristen should be showcased for her charity work reminds me of the Joey/Phoebe debate over whether there is any selfless good deed. I personally think it's silly to try to downplay the good work done just because someone gets attention out of it, but lots of people dislike celebrity charity that isn't done 100% anonymously. 

Edited by racked
  • Love 5

Actually it was Ramona that started the "mutt and Jeff" routine by calling Carole Heather's "lackey", Carole just responded to her nasty comment. Heather then defended Carole and Ramona then accused Heather of doing/being it for Carole! I thought that scene was hysterical myself. The other HWs and viewers have accused Carole of being Heather's puppet for a couple of years now and they finally addressed it head on. JMO

It brings them down to Ramona's level.  It is beneath Heather to toot her own horn about how much she did for the charity after awhile it starts sounding like bragging instead of charitable.  There were signs up recognizing Heather, Kristen acknowledged her in her speech, the other ladies wore the jeans.    I am not defending Ramona but when all you see is Yummie and Smile Train it is presumed you have been recognized and thanked. To dwell on it would be unseemly and that is why Heather's first response was correct to exit.  Ramona in her own twisted mind claimed she was "asking" why her stuff wasn't credited.  The best answer from either Heather or Carole -and Heather started to go there-is take it up with Smile Train or Kristen AFTER the event as there is absolutely nothing could change the acknowledgment situation.  I am certain at some level Smile train was thanking Shed Media and Bravo for all the wonderful exposure.  It was a good event and Kristen may have missed out on some corporate donations by not advertising it to the other ladies. 

Most of all I want to say this to both Bethenny and Heather they do not solely own their companies.  They are corporations and both ladies have partners, we saw Bethenny's-they partner with her to manufacture the goods, in Heather's case she borrowed money and gave shares to start her company.  So when they donate a $1,000.00 retail worth of goods, which is very generous, it is part of their marketing and development plans.  The manufactured cost of the product is far, far less than the retail price they use to calculate the value and assign generosity of the donation.  Where Ramona was really, really wrong if there is a pop up store at the event it would have made more sense to check out the what the jeans were selling for rather than setting an arbitrary and really inexpensive amount to the jeans.  Of course Ramona may have assumed the jeans were available at K-Mart because apparently that is where Heather thinks Sonja red silk evening gowns retail.  So perhaps that reference point thrown out there by Heather was the basis of her almost insulting price point.  I will say this year the women in clothing and jewelry have taken their turns sniping about the others' products. 

• Love 1

Not like you guys haven't noticed, but we've hidden some posts while we discuss them.

I've noticed a pattern with you guys. You're pretty good about not getting carried away Tuesday-Sunday, but come Monday, you're all discussed out and instead of being respectful to one another, you get snippy.

It's kind of getting old. I hate repeating myself.

SNARK THE SHOW, NOT EACH OTHER. Or else I'll need to start my own charity, now named the "Keep Mya and Lis Sane Fund." Established in 2015.

• Love 3

Did you all know that we have a feature that allows you to ignore posters you find annoying? You didn't?! Well we do! It's snazzy. To put a poster on ignore simply:

1.Go to the top of your screen and click on the little head icon.
2.Click on "Manage Ignore Prefs".
3.Type in the annoying person's name.
4.Click the little boxes to the right that give you options on what to ignore.
5.Click "Save Changes."
6.Return to the forum and have fun.

Now, if someone else quotes the annoying person, you'll still see that. Also, you can't ignore the mods. And we can't ignore you. But otherwise, you should be good to go.

• Love 5

I don't know Smile Train, I know Smile Foundation which is Jessica Simpson's "charity".  So now I know of 2 that can make a few more smilier kids in the world.

• Love 2
(edited)

I don't know Smile Train, I know Smile Foundation which is Jessica Simpson's "charity". So now I know of 2 that can make a few more smilier kids in the world.

Jessica Simpson is (was?) affiliated with Operation Smile. Operation Smile and Smile Train have an interesting and tangled history/affiliation, if anyone is interested. They are like the Bloods and the Crips!

Edited by shoegal
  • Love 1