Type keyword(s) to search

Say What?: Commercials That Made Us Scratch Our Heads

Lola16
  • Start Topic

On ‎03‎/‎03‎/‎2019 at 6:53 PM, BigBingerBro said:

OK - did these two fall in love or is this supposed to be one of those awesome random moments that happened?

'Awesome' random moment which only happens because she improved her credit score.

19 hours ago, SunnyBeBe said:

It's like, it's not good food, but, the poor dogs at the shelter can eat it. 

I didn't take it that way.  The food is fine, it's just that the cat is picky as hell.  Chewy commercials bother me because they ARE NOT cheaper than buying the food where I shop, not even for name brand food, but this particular one is okay otherwise.  (To be fair, though, the prescription food is cheaper than the vet.)  Now the one where the people ordered the dog crate and need the guy on the phone to tell them how to assemble it, rather than buying the already assembled crate at a store - that one bugs me every time.

• Love 3
17 hours ago, Mabinogia said:

I'm pretty sure my dogs think the bathroom is live theatre, because if I'm in there, they have front row seats to watch whatever I happen to be doing. lol

After we lost Denali a few weeks ago, GF said it was the first time she had been alone in the bathroom in years.

• Love 1
On 2/27/2019 at 12:08 AM, Maverick said:

It's his robe he takes off not a towel.  And he actually does toss it to the guy (who hangs it up for him).  The whole description is accurate save for the call center guy getting in the tub, which was just an extrapolation anyway. 

Ooooh, Kohler! You know that's high quality stuff! Ha ha

There's this ad I've been seeing recently and all i remember is noticing is that the "bsfore" part isn't in black and white! OTOH, there's a cold and allergy med ad with a b&w wrapped up in a blanker sinking into her sofa, but I cannot help notice she's cross eyed! 

11 minutes ago, revbfc said:

We need to discuss this Verizon ad where a woman talks about live streaming her hoo-ha to her serviceman husband, and all the dudes he serves with.

She said she was live streaming a birth. That the camera was focused on her vagina never occurred to me. I pictured the camera being on her face/upper body. I've got no problem with it. 

• Love 2
2 minutes ago, chessiegal said:

She said she was live streaming a birth. That the camera was focused on her vagina never occurred to me. I pictured the camera being on her face/upper body. I've got no problem with it. 

So the stream was of her face in pain as she gave birth?  Not likely.  She wanted to show her husband the birth of their child, and there’s no child coming out of anybody’s mouth.

That’s not how that works.

• LOL 10
  • Love 3
On 3/4/2019 at 11:26 PM, Prevailing Wind said:

They are there to make sure that when the swirly part happens, we don't go down with it. The pets, even the cats, are there to protect us from inadvertent contact with water.

Well, with doggos, they're just wondering why you're sitting on their water bowl. 

• LOL 9
  • Love 3

There's a commercial for some kind of I-phone that has "Que Sera Sera" as its theme and it starts off with a kid on a trike (with a curiously mature face for a little girl) and ends with monsters being shot down by laser guns.  WHAT the heck is it all about?  There must be some meaning to it all, but I just don't get it.

• Love 1

I don't know if this is a local commercial or what but it's for one of those cold sculpting clinics. They show some before and after pics. In the first one, on the left, before pic is a slightly pudgy tummy and on the right hand after pic they show a somewhat flatter stomach. In the second set of pictures they show on the left some weird blobby looking mess and on the right, what appears to be the same weird blobby mess. I can't tell WTF it's supposed to be.

• LOL 2

I find that most Iphone commercials (a) have obnoxious music and (b) leave me scratching my head. Usually, if I'm totally confused by the first 10 seconds of a commercial AND the music is bad, I'll turn to my hubs and say "must be an iPhone ad." 

The only exception to the obnoxious music is one several years ago that used Sam Smith's "Palace." But the rest of that ad was confusing. 

• Love 1

This one has me confused for a long time.  I think it’s Cesar dog food.  There’s a man in a conference room of a high rise office building.  He’s sitting by the window snacking, and he’s wearing makeup shirt that has epaulets. There’s a small dog on the sill eating.

i don’t understand why the dog is there.  I don’t understand who the man is.  Airline pilot? Security guard? Why are they in an office building?

and more importantly, why do I care?

• Love 2

He is a pilot. Not sure why he's eating with his dog in a high rise. Maybe he smuggles his dog in the cockpit with him and then when they get to an airport and he has a few moments he finds any empty room and quickly gives the poor dog some food? IDK. I just like the commercial because it's a westie and my mom has a westie so every time I see the commercial I yell "Sadie!" At the TV. Because I'm weird like that. (and Sadie is my mom's dogs name, in case that wasn't evident lol)

• Love 3

The longer version of the commercial shows that he's an overnight security guard and he has his dog with him. At the end, he eats breakfast with his dog in the empty conference room. I'm guessing the message is when you love your dog and the dog gives you so much joy and companionship you feed the dog that food. At least that's the typical dog food message. 

• Love 8
On 2/20/2019 at 11:09 PM, elle said:

The new Dawn commercial where it talks about being able to clean all the dishes left with you after you host a potluck at your house.

I have lived across the country and have been to too many potlucks to count.  Never I have seen anyone leave a dish for the host to clean.  You always make sure you claim your dish.

I just saw this commercial for the first time.  The guests do claim their dishes at the end of the commercial.  The host is washing the dishes before the end of the party, which I have seen people do.  But other times, people wash their own, and other times people take them home dirty. 

28 minutes ago, mmecorday said:

Is Shaquille O'Neal in some kind of financial bind? Is that why I see him pitching everything from lotion to car insurance on TV?

I doubt it. Easy money for very little work.

• Love 4

What is up with POSHMARK? We have women saying they sold them enough of their stuff to buy a car, pay for a wedding or a vacation. Really? Then you have the woman who got the designer shoes for $100 that retail for $700. I don't know how she walks in them - they look like a broken ankle waiting to happen.

• LOL 1
  • Love 9
50 minutes ago, chessiegal said:

What is up with POSHMARK? We have women saying they sold them enough of their stuff to buy a car, pay for a wedding or a vacation. Really? Then you have the woman who got the designer shoes for $100 that retail for $700. I don't know how she walks in them - they look like a broken ankle waiting to happen.

Even if I were a billionaire, I wouldn't waste $700.00 on a pair of shoes.

• Love 19
1 hour ago, peacheslatour said:

Even if I were a billionaire, I wouldn't waste $700.00 on a pair of shoes.

In Chicago we had a rash of Canada Goose coat robberies during the recent cold spell, where people were being robbed on the street of their coats.  I couldn't figure out why a thief would risk jail for a used coat.  Then I found out those coats cost $1000 and up. $1000 for a freaking coat? It better be the warmest freaking coat in the world for a $1000! (Of course the people who were robbed and left coatless on the street weren't very warm.)

• Love 2
4 hours ago, chessiegal said:

What makes me scratch my head about this one is how much they spent initially on the products.  Look at the reverse--if the $700 shoes only sold for $100, the seller lost a shitload of money.  It they hadn't bought $700 shoes to begin with, they would be able to buy a car, a wedding AND a vacation, plus have money left over.

• Love 14

There's an ad with Amy Pohler sitting in a TV store using the voice controller to watch videos in the store, and she asks for, "Show baby's last videos"?  I can't believe that's what she's saying, but no matter how many times I see the ad, I can't make out what she's saying.

Every time I see that Poshmark ad and that young woman saying she'd have paid $700 for those shoes, I ask "why?" They are really ugly and those heels will kill her. I have said before in other threads, I collect fashion dolls, bigger than Barbie (Happy 60th Birthday, you still look great!) their feet are permanently arched for high heels and I buy some extreme shoes for them, but nope, I wouldn't wear those ugly things. I'd probably kill myself, fall off the heels, trip, twist an ankle, fall over and hit my head and die. No more heels for me.

• Love 7
4 minutes ago, friendperidot said:

Every time I see that Poshmark ad and that young woman saying she'd have paid $700 for those shoes, I ask "why?" They are really ugly and those heels will kill her. I have said before in other threads, I collect fashion dolls, bigger than Barbie (Happy 60th Birthday, you still look great!) their feet are permanently arched for high heels and I buy some extreme shoes for them, but nope, I wouldn't wear those ugly things. I'd probably kill myself, fall off the heels, trip, twist an ankle, fall over and hit my head and die. No more heels for me.

I actually did do that.  I had a pair of expensive (for me) Famolares and fell right off.  Sprained my ankle and skinned my knees.  It taught my 18 yr old self a big lesson.

• Love 6
3 hours ago, Silver Raven said:

There's an ad with Amy Pohler sitting in a TV store using the voice controller to watch videos in the store, and she asks for, "Show baby's last videos"?  I can't believe that's what she's saying, but no matter how many times I see the ad, I can't make out what she's saying.

"Baby sloth videos on youtube" is what she's saying.

• Useful 4
  • Love 3
On ‎3‎/‎9‎/‎2019 at 7:19 PM, cynicat said:

What makes me scratch my head about this one is how much they spent initially on the products.  Look at the reverse--if the $700 shoes only sold for $100, the seller lost a shitload of money.  It they hadn't bought $700 shoes to begin with, they would be able to buy a car, a wedding AND a vacation, plus have money left over.

I've bought things from Poshmark, but generally lower-end brands, and I never spend much.  There are TONS of fakes on Poshmark and I'm sure that's how some of them make their money.  There are tons of fakes on eBay too.  If I'm searching for something, I always check "US ONLY" and that weeds out a big chunk of it.

On 3/9/2019 at 10:52 PM, friendperidot said:

Every time I see that Poshmark ad and that young woman saying she'd have paid $700 for those shoes, I ask "why?" They are really ugly and those heels will kill her.

Is that a way for designers to protect themselves from copycats? If you rip off something ugly and impractical, it's hard to argue that your product looks the same by chance.

• LOL 2
12 minutes ago, Brattinella said:

Sorry for not including a pic of the Famolares I fell off of.  These are almost identical to the ones I had.

il_fullxfull.577729963_duyc.jpg

Reminds me of Bear Traps which I lived in until I moved on to Candies. I used to be able to run in heels. Finally gave them up when I was pregnant with my son. Never looked back.

• Love 1

Back in disco days, I fell off some platform heels on ice. So, I also know the pain that I'm speaking of.

To get on topic, I have never looked at Poshmark or Thread Up - and I still hate the way one of the young women says "thread up", still sounds like "Britta" to me. I don't care for "names" in clothing or shoes. If a designer wants to advertise across my chest, butt, shoes or purse, they are going to have to pay me big bucks. I do shop local thrift shops for sweaters and plain tee shirts. I'm retired, so I just wear sweater/tee shirt and inexpensive blue jeans, shoes are either nameless brand sneakers or some really cute embroidered canvass slides from China - I have small feet, I can find shoes like that. My sister has to have boats for her feet, it's harder for her to find cute shoes, I think most of the ones she gets are truly ugly, but I never did care for saddle oxfords.

• Love 3
On 3/9/2019 at 4:19 PM, cynicat said:

Well, they all look very much like the "I spend my husband's money without looking at the price tags" types...

• Love 4

Navage snot cleaning device.  Not only is the ad revolting, but the name has a completely random umlaut over the second "a".  

It's about as bad as needing a "personal incontinence advisor" - because I need someone to tell me how to be incontinent.

• LOL 2
  • Love 7

Audi commercial:  woman walks into a butcher shop, and the butcher says, "I know you're looking for more than pork chops." Then she leads the woman to the back of the shop, and shows her the Audi car. What???

• Love 5
9 hours ago, Cobalt Stargazer said:

I have one question - is it supposed to be a selling point for Pizza Hut that being amazed by their crust makes you look like your eyeballs are about to fall out?

I don't know how a frame gets picked to represent a video, but the girl on the right in it looks horrified to me, not amazed.

• Love 3
1 hour ago, LoneHaranguer said:

I don't know how a frame gets picked to represent a video, but the girl on the right in it looks horrified to me, not amazed.

You haven't seen this commercial yet I take it? She looks like that all through the commercial. I am not normally a violent person but she makes me as stabby as anyone I've ever seen.

• Love 4
1 hour ago, peacheslatour said:

You haven't seen this commercial yet I take it? She looks like that all through the commercial. I am not normally a violent person but she makes me as stabby as anyone I've ever seen.

I can't say I've paid close attention when it's been run. I do remember the girls doing some weird body move later in the ad. Apparently nobody else at the party is impressed by the pizza since it's sitting there untouched with the box open. When you put out a fresh pizza, you generally leave the lid down, so that the pizza stays hot. The open lid says "hey, there's still pizza left if you want some before we put the leftovers in the fridge".

• Love 2
17 hours ago, Cobalt Stargazer said:

I have one question - is it supposed to be a selling point for Pizza Hut that being amazed by their crust makes you look like your eyeballs are about to fall out?

It's a (very bad) take off on the beginning of Baby Got Back

• Love 3
23 minutes ago, cynicat said:

It's a (very bad) take off on the beginning of Baby Got Back

I know, but that makes even less sense, since neither of those women can be more than twenty-two. Baby Got Back came out twenty-seven years ago, and while I guess retro music is still in, it seems like a weird marketing choice that they'd use a song that's nearly three decades old as if  millennials would be fully aware of it.

• Love 1
34 minutes ago, Cobalt Stargazer said:

Baby Got Back came out twenty-seven years ago, and while I guess retro music is still in, it seems like a weird marketing choice that they'd use a song that's nearly three decades old as if  millennials would be fully aware of it.

I thought they were just aiming for "valley girl". I just googled why they might be doing that, and indirectly got pointed to the Kardashians reality show. 

• Love 1
On ‎03‎/‎09‎/‎2019 at 12:49 PM, janie jones said:

I just saw this commercial for the first time.  The guests do claim their dishes at the end of the commercial.  The host is washing the dishes before the end of the party, which I have seen people do.  But other times, people wash their own, and other times people take them home dirty. 

I've never had the hosts of the party wash my dish before I went home.  Clearly I'm doing potluck parties all wrong. ;-)

• Love 8
On ‎03‎/‎14‎/‎2019 at 12:48 AM, Cobalt Stargazer said:

I haven't seen the video for Baby Got Back in years, but since the lines in this Pizza Hut commercial are from the beginning of that music video, I'm assuming the bug eyes and the awkward hip move are as well?

Okay, apparently not.  So it's just weird.

On a personal note: if killing someone would give me that butt, I'd be tempted.

Edited by proserpina65
7 hours ago, proserpina65 said:

I've never had the hosts of the party wash my dish before I went home.  Clearly I'm doing potluck parties all wrong. 😉

Same here. And I've never washed anyone's dishes for them at a pot luck either. 

On 3/14/2019 at 3:35 PM, Jacqs said:

This kid is about ten. Can a man with emphysema really go from freshly spawning a kid to hospital bed in just ten years?

I'm sure they can. 

I go to a pot luck once a month. The hostess offers her home, and has co-hostesses to assist. If a dish is finished, often a co-hostess will wash it. If it's not finished, if the hostess or others don't want it, the contributor takes it home.

2 hours ago, peacheslatour said:

"Do you think I'm cute? I think I'm cute, just look at these dimples." Says child with exactly 0 dimples.

No kidding. I complained about this before. Find a child actor with dimples. Can't be that hard. Casting call - 4-5 year old girl with dimples.

• Love 3