Type keyword(s) to search

Say What?: Commercials That Made Us Scratch Our Heads

Lola16
  • Start Topic

23andMe Father's Day special - not sure if this is the best place for this one, but it does make me wonder...

One screen says "What genetics do you share with your Dad?"  Makes me wonder how many people find out they don't share any genetics with their Dad, because Mom has some explaining to do...

• LOL 10
  • Love 1
2 hours ago, Moose135 said:

23andMe Father's Day special - not sure if this is the best place for this one, but it does make me wonder...

One screen says "What genetics do you share with your Dad?"  Makes me wonder how many people find out they don't share any genetics with their Dad, because Mom has some explaining to do...

I know someone who found out he and his brother have different fathers. Mom never did any explaining, just kept mum.

• LOL 3
6 hours ago, Moose135 said:

A lot.  Support groups are cropping up online.

(edited)

There's a new Clorox commercial in which a guess drops a buffalo chicken wing on the kitchen floor and ponders all the nasty things that happened there (kids leaving muddy shoeprints, roaches, someone drops raw meat, dog craps on the floor, whatever) but then remembers he wiped down the floor with a Clorox product and grabs the wing to eat it! Gah! You may have sterilized the floor earlier that day, but what happened AFTERWARDS? Plus, IT'S THE FLOOR! Why are you even considering eating that wing?!?!?!?

Edited by Ubiquitous
  • LOL 2
  • Love 2

I have a friend who is in the food biz. She worked for Barnum and Bailey for over 20 years. Her first job with them was inspecting food sanitation at their concessions. I've cooked at her house, and there is no five second rule - ever - for anything. Anything on the floor goes directly into the trash.

• Love 7
(edited)
On 5/28/2019 at 1:26 PM, Moose135 said:

5 second rule...

On 5/28/2019 at 1:45 PM, peacheslatour said:

A cookie maybe. Something with sauce on it? No way.

On 5/28/2019 at 3:00 PM, chessiegal said:

I have a friend who is in the food biz. She worked for Barnum and Bailey for over 20 years. Her first job with them was inspecting food sanitation at their concessions. I've cooked at her house, and there is no five second rule - ever - for anything. Anything on the floor goes directly into the trash.

On 5/28/2019 at 5:36 PM, Ubiquitous said:

No problem with something falling on the counter or table, but yeah, never the floor.

I was once at a work potluck lunch, and the person who was setting up accidentally dropped an unwrapped sleeve of plastic cups (the imprinted souvenir kind, not dixie cups) on the (carpeted, conference room) floor.  She promptly tossed the whole stack into the trash.  I know that's what you gotta do, but it made my cheapskate, recycler heart hurt.  They would have at least gone into the dishwasher if it was at my house. 

I've gotta think they were safer than most of the dishes people brought in, prepared under who-knows-what conditions!

(And if that wing was at my house, I would have rinsed it off and applied more sauce 🙂.   For me - not to re-serve to someone else.)

ETA a few days after posting, and many years after the actual incident, I'm only just now realizing the irony of worrying about carpet germs as you're eating food people prepared with their unwashed hands, on the counters their cats lounged on, on the cutting board they sliced their raw meat on... And yes, I still do eat at the potlucks. 

Edited by SoMuchTV
More thoughts.
  • Love 9
5 minutes ago, SoMuchTV said:

I was once at a work potluck lunch, and the person who was setting up accidentally dropped an unwrapped sleeve of plastic cups (the imprinted souvenir kind, not dixie cups) on the (carpeted, conference room) floor.  She promptly tossed the whole stack into the trash.  I know that's what you gotta do, but it made my cheapskate, recycler heart hurt.  They would have at least gone into the dishwasher if it was at my house. 

I've gotta think they were safer than most of the dishes people brought in, prepared under who-knows-what conditions!

(And if that wing was at my house, I would have rinsed it off and applied more sauce 🙂.   For me - not to re-serve to someone else.)

You may be my spirit animal!

• LOL 2
  • Love 3
(edited)
3 hours ago, SoMuchTV said:

Hell, I wouldn't even have rinsed it off before eating it.  Wiped it off if there was some schmutz on it, but the simple fact it had touched my floor for a few seconds?  Not bothered.  My only sigh would have been over the fact I now needed to wipe up a little spot of sauce on my floor.

Edited by Bastet
  • LOL 5
  • Love 6
(edited)
21 hours ago, Ubiquitous said:

IT'S THE FLOOR! Why are you even considering eating that wing?!?!?!?

If it's my floor, it's okay.  Anybody else's floor, yuk! (I don't mind MY germs.) I wouldn't eat an éclair from the garbage, though, even if it was on top.

Edited by Tom Holmberg
  • LOL 4
  • Love 2
(edited)
6 hours ago, Tom Holmberg said:

If it's my floor, it's okay.  Anybody else's floor, yuk! (I don't mind MY germs.) I wouldn't eat an éclair from the garbage, though, even if it was on top.

But what if it was on a doily, ON TOP of a magazine?!?!

**WOO HOO - got it!!**

giphy.gif

04dcff05dc66703616a83ca394cdb2c7--seinfeld-quotes-jerry-seinfeld.jpg

seinfeld-eclairs-ccflcr-kimberlykv.jpg

Edited by funky-rat
  • LOL 12
  • Love 2
On ‎05‎/‎28‎/‎2019 at 5:36 PM, Ubiquitous said:

No problem with something falling on the counter or table, but yeah, never the floor.

I've eaten cookies or snack stuff I've dropped on the floor, but I would never give it to someone else.

• Love 5
On ‎05‎/‎26‎/‎2019 at 7:48 PM, Bastet said:

I just looked it up, and it's part of the Geico series where two (or more) people are in the middle of a bizarre situation, and one of them says, "I can't believe it," leading the other(s) to assume she/he is talking about the craziness around them, only to learn, no, she/he is amazed by how easy it was to switch to Geico and save big bucks.

In this one, they're at a research station they can't step outside of due to the weather, and one guy brought his karaoke machine with him, and has been serenading them with "I Want It That Way" on a constant loop.  After however many renditions, one of them thinks freezing to death would be a better option and tries to make a run for it.

And now I have "I Want It That Way" stuck in my head.

• LOL 2

I zipped the tab off a Babybel Mini today and promptly dropped it on the floor, under my desk, at work. Fortunately, the remaining wax protected the cheese from getting dog hair on it. The vet who works the days I don't uses the same desk and Muggsy frequently comes to work with her & lays under the desk. The boss' dog needs weekly fluids, so HashBrown likes it under that desk, too, cause there's a comfy dog bed, so she can rest while her body absorbs the fluids.   I ate the cheese.

• LOL 1
  • Love 5

We keep our home immaculately clean (with seven cats daily cleaning is a must) but I would never eat anything off the floor.

There's some commercial now for an LBL pad (because we live in an acronym world) and at first I thought the woman was saying something about expecting little leagues. Then I realized she was saying little leaks. Enunciate, people!!

• LOL 5
  • Love 1

I'm not sure why I'm suddenly getting commercials for Marco's Pizza. I've never even heard of that chain before, and there doesn't appear to be a store within a 50-mile radius of where I live in SW Virginia. It looks like very generic pizza to me, like the frozen pizza kits we sold as a fundraiser for band in high school.

• Love 2

@mmecorday, it's OK. It's not the worst pizza, but it's definitely not anywhere near the top. I've only had it when ours was donating part of the proceeds one evening to my kid's school. Otherwise, we would never have ordered from there. We ordered online, and the posted delivery time was an hour and a half. It didn't take that long, fortunately, but it's just crazy in our relatively small town to list that long a wait unless the roads are ice-covered.

Speaking of misheard lines, there's an ad for Lowe's selling weed-whacker type lawn trimmers, the kind that spins a reel of plastic cord to cut grass but I guess there can be problems with tangling. The voiceover says "Forget line hassles" but the first time I saw the ad I heard "Forget lying assholes." So much easier said than done.

• LOL 13
  • Love 2
22 hours ago, mmecorday said:

I'm not sure why I'm suddenly getting commercials for Marco's Pizza. I've never even heard of that chain before, and there doesn't appear to be a store within a 50-mile radius of where I live in SW Virginia. It looks like very generic pizza to me, like the frozen pizza kits we sold as a fundraiser for band in high school.

It's OK. Better than Dominoes and Little Ceasars IMO. 

On 6/2/2019 at 4:56 PM, chessiegal said:

One time I was listening to a Corona ad, I heard "Every time someone gets laid, a Corona gets its lime".

We must share a brain because I've thought this same exact thing before.

• LOL 1
  • Love 2
On ‎6‎/‎7‎/‎2019 at 2:18 PM, Aryanna said:

We must share a brain because I've thought this same exact thing before.

It would be truer if the ad said "Every time someone gets a Corona, somebody gets laid." And that would sell more beer.

• LOL 3
On 5/26/2019 at 1:48 PM, Jamoche said:

I had to back it up to be sure: Aspercreme adhesive heated back pad has a side-by-side shot comparing them to the "Other pad". But the other pad covers the entire lower back, while the Aspercreme one is just a smallish patch centered on your spine.

I don't know about you, but when I have a backache, the spine area isn't involved - it's all about the muscles closer to my sides. So they've just made a convincing pitch for "Other pad", if only I knew which one it was.

They are Thermacare  and they are amazing. 

• Useful 2
  • Love 9

I'm growing concerned about that family in the Volvo commercials.  I don't think they are ever going to get to their destination.  Hopefully they don't run into the blind serial killer from the Suburu commercial.

• LOL 8
  • Love 2

Just a observation about safety commercials/PSAs: the one i saw used a kid that looked a bit ...mature... to be making the mistake of wandering out of the front garden into the road where she's hit by a car, Intentional?

49 minutes ago, Tom Holmberg said:

Maybe her mother keeps wanting to dress up like a pirate and play with her, not letting her play with kids her own age.

Potential little Norma Bates. "My Mother and I were more than happy."

• LOL 6
  • Love 2

The commercial for John Deere that shows someone racing to mow their lawn before an incoming thunderstorm baffles me.  Why wouldn't you wait a day especially with that darkening sky?

• Love 2
(edited)
15 minutes ago, elle said:

The commercial for John Deere that shows someone racing to mow their lawn before an incoming thunderstorm baffles me.  Why wouldn't you wait a day especially with that darkening sky?

Heh, I can totally see somebody doing that where I live. Thunderstorms rarely ever seem to faze people here 😛. I remember once when I was younger, we had a nasty storm rolling in and my family went out to the radio station where my dad worked (both because he needed to be on air to report on the bad weather and also because it was a good shelter for us in case tornado warnings started happening, as we didn't have a proper shelter in our home). Across the street from the station was a golf course, and despite the darkening skies and the rumbles of thunder, there were two guys still happily playing away on the course. 

I'm with you, though. I don't get that behavior, either. Unless you're a professional storm chaser, just stay indoors when the weather's bad. 

Edited by Annber03
  • Love 3
5 hours ago, elle said:

Because after it rains, the grass is wet and you have to wait for it to (mostly) dry before you mow. Plus, after a rain, grass gets a nice growth spurt. So then you’re trying to mow long, wet, fluffy grass. 

• Useful 3
  • Love 11

Because if you have OCD like my girlfriend does, your brain tells you when to mow and you can't tell your brain to shut up.

• Love 5
12 hours ago, Annber03 said:

Heh, I can totally see somebody doing that where I live. Thunderstorms rarely ever seem to faze people here 😛. I remember once when I was younger, we had a nasty storm rolling in and my family went out to the radio station where my dad worked (both because he needed to be on air to report on the bad weather and also because it was a good shelter for us in case tornado warnings started happening, as we didn't have a proper shelter in our home). Across the street from the station was a golf course, and despite the darkening skies and the rumbles of thunder, there were two guys still happily playing away on the course. 

I'm with you, though. I don't get that behavior, either. Unless you're a professional storm chaser, just stay indoors when the weather's bad. 

giphy-downsized.gif

• LOL 5
  • Love 4
19 hours ago, elle said:

Where I live, the temperature drops a bit and there's a nice breeze preceding thunderstorms. It's much more pleasant if you get finished in time.

• Love 6
3 hours ago, friendperidot said:

So what executive decided that viewers of Murphy Brown reruns would be interested in sex/dating telephone talk lines?

Weren't phone talk lines popular when Murphy Brown originally aired?

• Love 1
7 hours ago, friendperidot said:

So what executive decided that viewers of Murphy Brown reruns would be interested in sex/dating telephone talk lines?

Those with crushes on Eldin who are incredibly sad that Pastorelli committed suicide?

7 hours ago, smittykins said:

I didn’t think sex/dating lines still existed.

saw one during Murphy Brown last night, complete with simpering sex kitten whispering to all the old men/sugar daddy wannabes and incels, but I don't think either of those groups watch Murphy Brown.

• LOL 3
  • Love 3

I watch a lot of shows on Great America Country channel. They have a commercial with this woman who decides to reorganize her bathroom. She mentions "donating her old towels, which she hasn't done in a long time". Who donates old towels? Don't old towels become rags?

• Love 2