Type keyword(s) to search

Then and Now: Actors (and their Voices) in Commercials

Lola16
  • Start Topic

Was that Lydia from E/R in an ad for an osteoporosis medication?  I can not remember the name of the drug, the ad ends with a woman (not Lydia) carrying laundry on the stairs about to step on her dog's squeeky toy.

• Love 1

There's a DirecTV ad with a psychologist and a patient -- is the psychologist the same woman who complains about the squirrels in the Geico ad?  It sounds like her, but she looks different enough (wig, clothing, glasses, plus my tiny TV) that I can't tell.

• Love 1
Just now, mmecorday said:

I'm pretty sure that's the same actress, Browncoat.

I thought so, but it's nice to have confirmation!  Just the way she says, "Classic narcissist." at the end reminded me of how she talks about the squirrels.

On 6/10/2019 at 11:36 AM, Browncoat said:

There's a DirecTV ad with a psychologist and a patient -- is the psychologist the same woman who complains about the squirrels in the Geico ad?  It sounds like her, but she looks different enough (wig, clothing, glasses, plus my tiny TV) that I can't tell.

Yes, that is Cindy Drummond. Thanks to ispot.tv for the actress' name and confirmation.

Also checked to see if I did recognize the woman in the LiMu commercial w/o the emu and its reflection. Sure enough, it is Nicole Randall Johnson from the fun 'rescue ' Drivetime commercials.

• Love 3
On 9/29/2018 at 1:26 AM, CoyoteBlue said:

It's very weird to watch Arby's commercials with H. Jon Benjamin during episodes of Archer.

On 10/1/2018 at 4:02 PM, cpcathy said:

Or Bob's Burgers.

My kids love to yell, "That's Bob!" when those commercials come on, while I yell, "That's Archer!" 

I wonder how much Lena Waithe gets paid for doing the AT & T commercials. Not that there's anything wrong with them or that they're beneath her. I just can't see her auditioning to be the AT & T spokesperson, which means the company probably approached her. 

• LOL 1

I was watching Jurassic World, when I realized the gyrosphere ride operator that has to shut down the ride just after the two main kids get on is the same actor in the AT&T Wireless TV Commercial, 'OK Carnival: BOGO' , Matty Cardarople. Kind of puts an interesting spin on the exchange where the mom asks if the ride is safe.

• LOL 1
(edited)
On 6/13/2019 at 1:12 PM, topanga said:

I wonder how much Lena Waithe gets paid for doing the AT & T commercials. Not that there's anything wrong with them or that they're beneath her. I just can't see her auditioning to be the AT & T spokesperson, which means the company probably approached her. 

I never knew the AT&T voice was "somebody." I had to wikipedia Lena Waithe to find out who she was. Now I know.

Related, I find it interesting to observe how Mercedes sometimes uses Jon Hamm, and sometimes uses a voiceover who's clearly trying to sound exactly like Jon Hamm and doing a pretty good job of it. Back when I was in advertising we were cautioned not to use "soundalikes" because Bette Midler had successfully sued Ford when they tried it. (I can't remember the song, but it was one associated with Midler, and they used not-Midler, and most people probably thought it was Midler. If she had lost her suit, it would have been open season on using soundalikes, but she didn't, and it wasn't.) But it's no doubt in Hamm's contract that the Mercedes agency can use a soundalike when he's not available.

Edited by Milburn Stone
  • Love 1

Perhaps Jon has approved a Jon Hamm-alike, like Tom Hanks does with some of his voice stuff as Woody--his brother Jim does a lot of it, including toys where Woody speaks.

• Useful 2

There's a resemblance, but it doesn't seem to be her.  Procter is older than that woman, and I don't know what she's up to these days, but unless she seriously mismanaged her CSI money, she shouldn't need to be accepting non-speaking roles in commercials.

• Love 3
55 minutes ago, Woopwoopkitty said:

whose voice is “just ok is not ok”

Here ya' go. 

Lena Waithe voices the spot's tagline

By now, you've likely seen at least one of the spots from AT&T's “Just OK Is not OK” campaign, where the likes of mechanics, babysitters and everything in between are perfectly content with providing just OK service—much to the consternation of their customers.Dec 26, 2019

In that commercial for AT&T TV where they don't show the tops of people's faces, I had to look up that the woman who said, "Show me reality.  Reality TV" was Evan Rachel Wood.  Before that, I was very confused about why they were using Lindsay Lohan in their ad!

Does anyone know whose voice is doing the WealthSimple commercials?  Upperclass British woman.  Sounds so familiar to me but I can't tell if it's because I recognize the specific voice or if she just sounds like someone I feel I should know.

18 hours ago, janie jones said:

I don't know what the Bubly people are trying to accomplish by using Michael Buble, but I almost exclusively call Bubly "Buble."

I'm sure they're trying to get people to remember their ads (and their product.)  Mission accomplished.

• Love 2

Does anyone know who plays the mom in the Progressive commercial with the son who still lives at home and thinks his dad is his roommate? I know I have seen her younger self in a sitcom or something, but I just can't place it. I keep trying an internet search, but I only get that Dr. Rick guy.

8 hours ago, janie jones said:

Did Jennifer Aniston make a bet with Shaquille O'Neal to see who could appear in the most commercials?

funny, i haven't seen any JA commercials in a long time, even the one with her winking in the end that used to play very regularly on the channels i watch most.  i think the property brothers are the ones that seem to be on way too many lately.

10 hours ago, janie jones said:

Did Jennifer Aniston make a bet with Shaquille O'Neal to see who could appear in the most commercials?

I can't remember the last time I saw a JA commercial but Shaq is on at least every other commercial break.

On 4/29/2022 at 6:24 PM, Writing Wrongs said:

Does anyone know who plays the mom in the Progressive commercial with the son who still lives at home and thinks his dad is his roommate? I know I have seen her younger self in a sitcom or something, but I just can't place it. I keep trying an internet search, but I only get that Dr. Rick guy.

It's Betsy Randle from Boy Meets World.

https://www.ispot.tv/topic/actor-actress/qbt/betsy-randle

• Love 1

I'm surprised so few people recognize her outside of her Flo uniform.  I haven't seen her perform live, but when she popped up in a (comedic) role in an episode of Major Crimes, I recognized her right away -- but I didn't spend the episode thinking of her as Flo, I totally bought her as the character.

• Like 4
1 hour ago, ForumLou said:

Does anyone know who the redhead is in the Old Navy ads?  She seems so familiar but I can't place her 

Natasha Lyonne.

1 hour ago, ForumLou said:

Does anyone know who the redhead is in the Old Navy ads?  She seems so familiar but I can't place her 

Maybe Natasha Lyonne? She’s been in ads for one of the big box clothing stores but I’m not sure which one. She’s been in Orange is the New Black, Russian Doll, Poker Face

2 hours ago, SoMuchTV said:

Maybe Natasha Lyonne? She’s been in ads for one of the big box clothing stores but I’m not sure which one. She’s been in Orange is the New Black, Russian Doll, Poker Face

Hmmm you may be right

2 hours ago, Bastet said:

Natasha Lyonne.

Ok thanks!