Type keyword(s) to search

Then and Now: Actors (and their Voices) in Commercials

Lola16
  • Start Topic

Can somebody identify the blonde woman who says "They're totally incompetent" in this DirectTv ad?  She's after the first woman at about 30 seconds in.  It's driving me nuts!  :)

Edited by Fiddler1

Although I wouldn't have necessarily thought of Norm MacDonald as perfect casting, I think he's doing a good job--better than Darrell Hammond was. At first I thought it was a case of the agency "keeping us on our toes" and that we'd soon see Hammond returning to the role, but now it appears Norm has settled in for the long haul. (Or however long the haul turns out to be.) I wonder what the story is there. Hammond not testing well in focus groups? Hammond being temperamental and all method-y ("the Colonel wouldn't say this!")? Something else?

The impression I got from the series is that they intend (possibly intended all along) to do a sort of rotating "No I'm the Colonel" thing. Hammond's talked about his being "back" and McDonald's began with him asserting himself as "the real colonel" so I think this is a long haul thing, possibly always was, and probably there will be still more revolving door colonels. I don't think it was necessarily a case of one being let go in favor of the other. (I could be wrong.)

Maybe they had the idea when they decided to bring him back as a character, since obviously the real guy is dead, that to sort of deflect attention from the notion that of course, no one can be the colonel now since he was real, they'd just plain play with the idea of who is playing him and the fact that it involves playing him, etc.

Edited by theatremouse
  • Love 1

Maybe they had the idea when they decided to bring him back as a character, since obviously the real guy is dead, that to sort of deflect attention from the notion that of course, no one can be the colonel now since he was real, they'd just plain play with the idea of who is playing him and the fact that it involves playing him, etc.

Very plausible.

There was a commercial on earlier for Reverse Mortgages...the voice actor sounded like he was going for a Morgan Freeman impression, but sounded a little more like Cleveland Brown (of Seth MacFarlane's "The Cleveland Show")...anyone else know what I'm talking about?  Lol

11 hours ago, ABay said:

Seeing the former "can you hear me now" guy makes me wonder what's become of the cute Sprint guy in the raincoat who was around at about the same time.

I can't find anything saying what he's doing now. Here's his wiki, IMDB profiles and Twitter though.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brian_Baker_(actor)

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0048294/

https://twitter.com/brianbakeractor

Edited by Jaded
18 hours ago, Unipenguin said:

David Furr has a recurring role on Madame Secretary, and trying to place his voice is driving me crazy. Anyone know what commercials or voiceover work he's done?

This isn't commercials or voiceover, and almost certainly you haven't heard it before (thus making me triply non-responsive to your question!), but after David Furr and Santino Fontana costarred in The Importance of Being Earnest on Broadway in 2011, they did a series of short videos called "Jersey Shore Gone Wilde," in which they simply spoke verbatim dialogue from Jersey Shore in the upper-class British accents, and in the costumes, of that classic play. Very silly, and I find it almost irresistible to watch all five parts at one sitting.

• Love 3
On 9/23/2016 at 3:47 PM, thesaura73 said:

Hello! New to posting here. Does anyone know who the actress is in the Kaiser-Permanente Medicare commercials?

I can't see the video, but I believe Allison Janney does the Kaiser ads.

• Love 3

Sounds like James Urbaniak (aka the voice of Rusty Venture) is the announcer in the ads for Taco Bell's new Naked Chicken Chalupa.

And I just realized today that Chris Parnell (Cyril from Archer, Jerry from Rick & Morty) is the annoying narcissistic Box in the Progressive commercials.

Edited by Sandman87
  • Love 1

Madison Bumgarner's Ford commercials make him sound like Boomhauer from King of the Hill. I keep expecting him to say something like "Yeah man, I tell you what...talkin' 'bout... talkin' 'bout...them big dang ol' Ford trucks, man."

Edited by Sandman87
  • Love 3