Type keyword(s) to search

Then and Now: Actors (and their Voices) in Commercials

Lola16
  • Start Topic

On 2/21/2017 at 5:06 PM, Milburn Stone said:

@rallymantis, the two voices do sound very similar, but my expectation is that Geico would have an exclusivity agreement with their gecko-guy, especially as it pertains to other clients in the "financial services sector." (Which this one is.)

I'm sure you're right.  And there's just *enough* of a difference in cadence (duh, 2 different countries) that if I concentrate...

...eh, still confuses the crap outta me.

I recognize voices, but I cant put a name to them and it makes me crazy . :-)

One time I knew a voice. It finally occurred to me that it was "Roz" from Frasier. If it wasn't her, it sure sounded like her.

Another time I finally figured out the voice was "Peg" from Married with Children. I have trouble placing the face and name with the voice sometimes. .

• Love 1

I recently learned that Chris Pine is the VO dude for BMW. Which is good, since it's been driving me crazy for a while. And for the longest time, I was wondering if Piven was voicing Mazda (but it was one of those almost, not quite feelings), and have learned it's Aaron Paul.

• Love 1
On 3/17/2017 at 7:39 PM, janie jones said:

The obnoxious "when you were you" guy is Aaron Paul?

Yep. Now that I know this, I really want him to add a '...yo, bitch!' to his pitch. Or at least throw in a reference to Magnets!

Unless my ears deceive me, that's Mila Jovovich voicing the Fiat "Guilia".

• Love 1
1 hour ago, AimingforYoko said:

Lily from AT&T (Milana Vayntrub) Is movin' on up. She's just been cast as Doreen Green, aka Squirrel Girl.

Marvel casts its Squirrel Girl.

That's pretty good casting. I just hope she can actually act.

She was on This is Us for the better part of its first season. If your questioning if she can actually act were coming from a place of only having seen her in AT&T ads, there's a fairly decent sample size of other work in series.

• Love 1
6 minutes ago, mmecorday said:

Squirrel Girl sounds like something you would read about in the Weekly World News.

Squirrel Girl and Bat Boy are dating! Exclusive!

For voice overs, I like Sam Elliott for Dodge Ram trucks. 

• LOL 1
  • Love 9

Sorry if this has already been addressed, but I just heard an Infiniti spot that sounds like David Duchovny, and I'm banging my head on the wall.

"Help me, ptv - you're my only hope."

Edited by spiderpig
spelling
  • Love 1
On 12/10/2016 at 3:50 PM, ennui said:

I can't see the video, but I believe Allison Janney does the Kaiser ads.

She was for a long time, and maybe still is in the radio ads, but there's a new-ish ad on TV (MeTV frequently) with a blonde woman who is really excellent - good read, pleasant voice.  I figure she must be an actress, but I don't think I've seen her before (or I don't recognize her).

• Love 1
On 6/1/2015 at 11:50 AM, jbrecken said:

What do we think about Darrell Hammond's Colonel Sanders?

On 8/27/2015 at 4:12 PM, jbrecken said:

Looks like KFC is now using Norm MacDonald as the Colonel.

Norm McDonald is out, Jim Gaffigan is in as the new Col. Sanders. I'm kind of liking the bit.

and now ............ Reba McEntire

which means two years from now, the Colonel will be portrayed either by Ah-Nuld, David Hasselhoff, or the Energizer Bunny.

• Love 2
On 2/4/2018 at 10:23 AM, SmithW6079 said:

This is driving me crazy -- the new TurboTax with the black box taking a photo of a receipt -- who is the voice actor? He sounds so familiar. 

ispot.tv is usually a good place to look up the actors for commercials.  Unfortunately, they do not have anyone listed for this commercial, but now you know it is called "The Dark".  Check back once in a while, they may add the credit.

I enjoy hearing the word kerfuffle!

• Love 1
13 hours ago, elle said:

ispot.tv is usually a good place to look up the actors for commercials.  Unfortunately, they do not have anyone listed for this commercial, but now you know it is called "The Dark".  Check back once in a while, they may add the credit.

I enjoy hearing the word kerfuffle!

Thanks. I think it's Matt Cook, who plays Lowell on "Man With a Plan."

I'm always amused by the soundalikes that agencies get for radio spots instead of the celeb voiceovers who do the same campaigns on TV. (Radio generally has tighter production schedules which may not suit the star talent's availability, plus there might be a ton of radio to a relatively small amount of TV which would make the talent cost skyrocket, plus some stars don't want to do radio because it's not as prestigious.) Jon Hamm is still doing Mercedes on TV, but on radio, it's Guy Who Was Cast Because He's Able to Sound Unbelievably Like Jon Hamm.

Edited by Milburn Stone
  • Love 1
On 3/14/2018 at 9:01 AM, David Zak said:

Is the gal who does the Toyota ads where she's the showroom greeter pregnant again?  I remember back a few years ago she was expecting.

Yeah, it seems this time they're not trying to hide it.

On 2/9/2018 at 7:03 PM, Twilight Man said:

and now ............ Reba McEntire

which means two years from now, the Colonel will be portrayed either by Ah-Nuld, David Hasselhoff, or the Energizer Bunny.

I want the next one to be the Count from Sesame Street.

• LOL 1
  • Love 10
(edited)

Had to do a double-take at Aubrey Plaza in the T-Mobile commercial - she's gorgeous!

Edited by QQQQ
Because Audrey and Aubrey are different names, but now I want to know if anyone has ever given twins these names...
  • Love 2

I just saw Ray Liotta on a Chantix commercial. He was talking very slowly, and his speech cadence was off—he emphasized words in the sentences in a weird way. In fact, he sounds just like the character he plays on J. Lo’s show “Shades of Blue.”

When did he start talking like this in real life? It’s hard to believe this is the same guy with the upbeat voice from “Goodfellas” and “Corrina, Corrina.” 

Is it just age and heavy smoking? Or has he had health problems? 

• Love 2
On 7/28/2018 at 7:18 PM, topanga said:

I just saw Ray Liotta on a Chantix commercial. He was talking very slowly, and his speech cadence was off—he emphasized words in the sentences in a weird way. In fact, he sounds just like the character he plays on J. Lo’s show “Shades of Blue.”

When did he start talking like this in real life? It’s hard to believe this is the same guy with the upbeat voice from “Goodfellas” and “Corrina, Corrina.” 

Is it just age and heavy smoking? Or has he had health problems? 

For several years he looks like he had some bad plastic surgery or major dermabrasion done.  His skin is way too shiny.  He also moves his mouth like he either had a stroke or facial surgery did some nerve damage.

• Love 2

Almost didn't recognize Chris Noth in the Home2Go commercial. Guess that's what happens when my familiarity with the actor is based on roles from 20+ years ago (30+ if I count his blink-and-you'll-miss-it Baby Boom appearance, which I happened to watch again just last night).

• Love 1