Type keyword(s) to search

Stupid Movies We Watch Over and Over and Over...

• Start Topic

"Blinken, fix your boobs! You look like a bleedin' Picasso!"

And then somehow managing to cram Dirty Harry AND Godfather character references in there.

"Especially all the way from Jersey."

"Well... it is quite a drive."

The movie is infinitely quotable.

I did actually show it to my niece last year. She was 11 at the time and... not familiar with Robin Hood. Plus, there is some very dated humor in there. The Pumps, for example? And she was not remotely familiar with either Churchill's 'The Few' or Malcolm X's 'Plymouth Rock' speeches. I mean some parts are funny either way but when you're a kid a lot of humor flies right over your head. So she can come back to it in a few years and maybe understand it more.

• LOL 4
  • Love 3
On ‎10‎/‎28‎/‎2017 at 11:12 AM, Zola said:

I'm a big fan of Jason Statham, ever since he graced our screen with "Snatch" and "Lock Stock and Two Smoking Barrels" back in the late 90s.

He is very much a one-dimensional actor, mostly seen in action films. He also has dry-humour and is quite endearing at times, So that may explain why I love watching his "Transporter" films (four in total I think).

Lots of action, guns, cars, women and explosions. But Statham's charisma makes it fun to watch.

He was quite good in The Bank Job, which is very different from his usual action films.  So it's not so much that he's one dimensional as that maybe he's reluctant to step out of that box.   But I absolutely agree about the three Transporter films.

On 1/8/2019 at 4:57 PM, Morrigan2575 said:

The A-Team. Everyone said it was a bad movie, stupid cheesy and, unrealistic but, so was the TV Show. 

Other than making Face the star over Hannibal I think its a fun movie to watch (over and over again).

On 1/9/2019 at 9:53 AM, Sweet Tee said:

I love The A-Team movie.  I thought it was true to the spirit of the show while still updating it.  And I liked Face in the movie more than I did on the show.  Original Face tended to be whiny and prissy and made me wonder how he ever survived Vietnam.

I love The A-Team movie. Original Face survived Vietnam by scamming and charming the everyone. 

The Day After Tomorrow has been on AMC and I've watched it at least 4 times in the past two weeks. It was presented as a typical disaster movie in 2004 but it was really a cautionary tale. I'm now prepared for the zombie apocalypse and the next ice age (make your way to a library with a huge tax law section!)

• Love 4
On 2/26/2019 at 5:37 PM, theredhead77 said:

The Day After Tomorrow has been on AMC and I've watched it at least 4 times in the past two weeks. It was presented as a typical disaster movie in 2004 but it was really a cautionary tale. I'm now prepared for the zombie apocalypse and the next ice age (make your way to a library with a huge tax law section!)

The Day After Tomorrow - Yes! Anytime it’s on and I happen upon it I watch. Really most disaster movies will stop me as I click through channels. 

San Andreas, World War Z, Armageddon or Deep Impact, Dante’s Peak or Volcano, Geostorm, Contagion, Twister, 2012, The 5th Wave, Red Dawn, Independence Day 1 & 2, War of the Worlds (even with Tom Cruise), Pacific Rim 1 & 2, the Jurassic Park/World movies, Godzilla, the Planet of the Apes movies Olympus/London Has Fallen, and the Maze Runner movies. 

I don’t know what it says about me that I enjoy catastrophic and end of the world movies. I’m choosing not to analyze that too closely. 

• Love 5

Without A Paddle. It is so stupid but I laugh my butt off:

• Dan trying to fend off an attacker with his inhaler
  • "Tom, you were a Boy Scout, weren't you?" "No, but I ate a Brownie once."
  • "You can't out-run that bear!" "I don't have to out-run that bear, I just have to out-run you."
  • "All we've got to do is jump up over that 100-foot waterfall, swim upstream 20 miles, get the sheriff on the phone - he liked us, I remember - and he'll send out a rescue boat."
  • "Lie to me, I don't care. I'm not the one who's going to drown."
  • Dan's entire pot meltdown

Like I said, it's utterly stupid but I'll watch it when it's on.

• Love 2

National Lampoon's Animal House

Always guaranteed to raise lots of smiles/laughs when you need it most. No plot to speak of, just vulgar jokes and slapstick moments throughout. Helped somewhat by the late-great John Belushi - the scene where he is up a ladder peaking into a girls'-only dorm room had me it stitches.

Puerile filth at its non-pc best. 

• Love 5

I haven't seen that movie in a long time, but I remember how much I loved Janeane Garofalo in it.  If I try something on that is all wrong for my figure, I say, "This dress exacerbates the genetic betrayal that is my legacy."

• LOL 9
  • Love 1
On 5/29/2019 at 1:06 AM, ramble said:

The Day After Tomorrow - Yes! Anytime it’s on and I happen upon it I watch. Really most disaster movies will stop me as I click through channels.

Me too.  I read an opinion piece this week about eco-horror movies, and how it's kinda twisted that we enjoy them so much.  The author put a tiny bit of blame on these movies for the lack of concern about climate change.  Apparently many of us look at the end of the world as an opportunity. 

It's true.  I'll bet a lot of us have thought about what we'd do as one of a few survivors. 

• Love 1

I've been with PTV since the beginning; yet, somehow, never found this thread. I don't think they're stupid, but putting them here to be safe..

The fact that there is so much Grease 2 talk makes me SO happ!! I've loved it for as long as I can remember!! I had my Dad tape it on our Beta-Max and I must have seen it at least one hundred times since. Had a couple cassette copies of the soundtrack. I never cared for "My Charade" though..I always preferred Johnny to Michael.

The Legend of Billie Jean-could never get tired of this one!! It makes me sad that allegedly Pat Benetar introduces "Invincible" as "a song from the worst movie ever made." I had such a crush on Keith Gordon in this movie! Great movie, great music, great cast!

Midnight Madness-Michael J Fox and Pee-Wee Herman before they were stars! I always find myself saying "SS Itari is mixed up and blind," "Fagabeefe" and "Eaaaaaaster Bunny! Easter Parade!"

The Wraith-I ADORED Brandon Lee, but I think The Crow ripped off their plot from this movie. It's funny, but all the Charlie Sheen movies I have seen all came out in 1986. This movie is SO bad, but I can't tell you how many times I rented it (and I now own it).

The Lost Boys, Dream a Little Dream and License to Drive-The Corey's still can do no wrong...no, wait...I forgot about Blown Away..**shudder**

Dragnet--see Splash--am I the only one who preferred Tom Hanks in is comedy movies and Bosom Buddies days?? This one was great. Hanks, Dan Ackroyd, Christopher Plummer, Dabney Coleman, Harry Morgan.

April Fool's Day-I see there was Clayton Rohner love earlier in this thread. Here's another of his movies! PLUS Thomas Wilson (Biff and the other Tannen roles from BttF movies)!

Nightmare on Elm St. Part IV: The Dream Master-my favorite of the franchise! Plus, the best soundtrack!

Home for the Holidays-Robert Downey Jr. Was SO high, but the movie is SO good!

Fright Night-"You're so cool, Brewster!!" He was decades older than me, but possibly my second celebrity crush ever (after seeing David Bowie in Layrinth) was Christopher Sarandon.

The Man with Two Brains-I KNOW this one is stupid, loved it anyways!

Witchboard, Garbage Pail Kids, Nightbreed...

Seconding the love in this thread for Soapdish, Splash, 9 to 5, Just One of the Guys, Clueless, Dogma, Crybaby..

• Love 4
3 hours ago, punkypower said:

1.  The Legend of Billie Jean-could never get tired of this one!! It makes me sad that allegedly Pat Benetar introduces "Invincible" as "a song from the worst movie ever made." I had such a crush on Keith Gordon in this movie! Great movie, great music, great cast!

2.  Midnight Madness-Michael J Fox and Pee-Wee Herman before they were stars! I always find myself saying "SS Itari is mixed up and blind," "Fagabeefe" and "Eaaaaaaster Bunny! Easter Parade!"

3.  The Lost Boys, Dream a Little Dream and License to Drive-The Corey's still can do no wrong...no, wait...I forgot about Blown Away..**shudder**

4.  Dragnet--see Splash--am I the only one who preferred Tom Hanks in is comedy movies and Bosom Buddies days?? This one was great. Hanks, Dan Ackroyd, Christopher Plummer, Dabney Coleman, Harry Morgan.

1. "Fair is fair!"  Did she rock that hair cut and outfit or what?

2.  "Wait!  There's a big, huge 'm' at miniature golf world!  To think--we got that from 'hug me'"  I thought I was the only one who remembered this movie.

3.  I could not get enough of The Lost Boys and Dream a Little Dream.  I can still watch the former, but the latter?  I tried the a year or so ago and I just can't anymore. 

4.  "Grandma, I'd like you to meet the virgin Connie Swale" "You're kidding?"  I can still watch Dragnet, too.  I love almost everything Tom Hanks does.  And Splash ("For God's sake, Freddie, I never expected it to be perfect, but I did expect it to be human!")?  I was going to name a little girl Madison until it became the such a common name by the time I had one. 

I'm going to go out on a limb and guess that we are about the same age (give or take maybe 5 years, tops).  :)

17 minutes ago, Shannon L. said:

1. "Fair is fair!"  Did she rock that hair cut and outfit or what?

2.  "Wait!  There's a big, huge 'm' at miniature golf world!  To think--we got that from 'hug me'"  I thought I was the only one who remembered this movie.

3.  I could not get enough of The Lost Boys and Dream a Little Dream.  I can still watch the former, but the latter?  I tried the a year or so ago and I just can't anymore. 

4.  "Grandma, I'd like you to meet the virgin Connie Swale" "You're kidding?"  I can still watch Dragnet, too.  I love almost everything Tom Hanks does.  And Splash ("For God's sake, Freddie, I never expected it to be perfect, but I did expect it to be human!")?  I was going to name a little girl Madison until it became the such a common name by the time I had one. 

I'm going to go out on a limb and guess that we are about the same age (give or take maybe 5 years, tops).  🙂

@Shannon L.

HOLY CREPE!! You have MADE my night!! You must be my sister from another mother!! Yup, I'll bet we're around the same age--I'll be 42 in July!

1. YA-AAAAS!! She was gorgeous!! It cracked me up that the police kept rounding up herds of girls that looked NOTHING like Billie Jean!! There could be only one!! 

2. THIS is the one I thought NOBODY would get!! Love this so much!! RIP, Stephen Furst!!  Did you know that Donna, the brunette captain of the Red Team, went on to play Maude Flanders? The reason they infamously killed Maude off? Because they refused to give Maggie Rosswell a few thousand dollar raise, and she had been flying herself from Denver every week to shoot.

3. I wish I still had the full-length poster of LB I had on my wall. I never knew until I was an adult that it was a retelling of Peter Pan. Didn't Kiefer make THE perfect asshole?? I actually watched DaLD last night (it's free on Amazon Prime). I don't mind it at all. It was Haim's last "big" movie before the drugs overtook him. I thought his bit part outshone Feldman. Also, I absolutely adored Jason Robards (My fave role of his is probably Something Wicked This Way Comes. It had a great soundtrack, too!

4. John Candy. **sigh** As for Dragnet, Dan Ackroyd also wrote and produced and he supposedly wanted Jim Belushi as his partner. Thank God (it's Friday!) that Jim wasn't available and we got Tom instead!

I REALLY wish they would come out with anniversary/collector's edition blu-ray editions of these movies!!

• Love 3
12 hours ago, punkypower said:

HOLY CREPE!! You have MADE my night!! You must be my sister from another mother!! Yup, I'll bet we're around the same age--I'll be 42 in July!

Damn, I was way off!  You must have been young when you watched these movies.  I'll be 51 in June! 

You also know a lot more trivia about the movies than I ever did  :)

• LOL 2
44 minutes ago, Shannon L. said:

Damn, I was way off!  You must have been young when you watched these movies.  I'll be 51 in June! 

You also know a lot more trivia about the movies than I ever did  🙂

BWAH!! Too funny!! Yes, my parents honestly did not put restrictions on my watching, which led me to watching Reform School Girls before I was ten and seeing Poltergeist when I was six or seven, leading to my Ronald McDonald doll being shunned to the attic, where he remains today. 😂🤣

As far as trivia, I'm just a geek at heart. I spend way too much time on IMDB!

Edited by punkypower
because Ronamd does not make Ronald a dr. Spelling is important.
  • LOL 1
  • Love 2
On 12/8/2019 at 4:17 PM, punkypower said:

Dragnet--see Splash--am I the only one who preferred Tom Hanks in is comedy movies and Bosom Buddies days?? This one was great. Hanks, Dan Ackroyd, Christopher Plummer, Dabney Coleman, Harry Morgan.

Ooh thank God I'm not the only one that liked Dragnet.  Dan Aykroyd and Tom Hanks were hilarious together.

• Love 3

I'm loath to put this here because I don't think it's a stupid movie, but I'm not sure it's an unpopular opinion either:

She's Having a Baby.  I don't recall being popular at the time it came out and I, personally, think it's under rated as a rom-com.  I can watch this one over and over again.  I hadn't seen it in years, and was tickled to see that one of the classic movie stations was starting to air it regularly again over the past couple of months.  I even recorded it :)  

Elizabeth McGovern is great at comedy and Kevin Bacon is good at comedy, but he nails that scene at the end when he didn't know if his wife or their child would survive labor and delivery. 

The two scenes that make me giggle every time are the fight they have when he invites his best friend and his best friend's girlfriend to stay with them instead of at a hotel ("tragic error coming in 3, 2, 1....")  and when they're trying to get pregnant and she's got the charts and thermometer out and everything is optimal ("You can watch tv if you get bored--here's to successful fertilization, sweetie")

Edited by Shannon L.
  • Love 4
On 12/4/2019 at 1:05 PM, Chaos Theory said:

I have Drive Angry on my DVR and refuse to erase it.    I watch it every time I am depressed and sad.   It makes me feel better about my life.   

That's a great movie. Easily my favorite 3-d experience because they just said "Fuck it. Let's turn this shit up to 12!"

William Fichtner was awesome and Nick Cage was. . . uh, Nick Cage!

It's been a while since I've seen She's Having a Baby, but yeah, I remember it being a rather cute movie, too. It's one of my mom's favorites

7 hours ago, Shannon L. said:

Kevin Bacon is good at comedy, but he nails that scene at the end when he didn't know if his wife or their child would survive labor and delivery. 

Great use of a Kate Bush song in that scene, too:

• Love 4

Street Fighter the Movie.  I saw it once when it first came out 25 years ago and I liked it.  But I let my thoughts on the movie be swayed by people calling it the worst thing since smallpox.  I only rewatched it back in 2018 and came to realize that, if viewed through the lens of the camp aesthetic, it's actually quite delightful.  Yes, it's stupid and trashy, but I don't care. Raul Julia knew what movie he was in and gave it 110%, even though he was terminally ill at the time.  Ming-Na Wen also kicked ass as Chun-Li and I loved Kylie Minogue as Cammy.  And the guy playing Zangief was awesome and funny.  Also,  I don't care if Ken had a double chin and that he and Ryu were reduced to supporting characters, they were never my top faves to begin with.  And I liked Jean Claude Van Damme as Guile.  Yeah, I did.

I will fight people saying this movie is one of the worst ever.  I will fight them!  I'd have to rewatch it again, but I will fight them.

Also, I like Mortal Kombat the Movie.  And Gymkata.  And the first two American Ninja films.

• Love 1

When I was a kid I used to love the live action movie versions of classic cartoon series: George of the JungleRocky and Bullwinkle, The Flintstones, Inspector Gadget, Scooby Doo, Dudley Do-Right, Underdog, Mr. Magoo..and I know that with the exception of George of the Jungle most of them are terrible but we are entitled to our own guilty pleasures.

Edited by Spartan Girl
  • Love 4

Starship Troopers has got to be one of my favorite guilty  pleasures.   It’s a dumb movie that I watch until a certain character bites it and then I kinda get annoyed with the movie but other then that it’s a fun stupid movie to watch.  

All the sequels just suck which is a pity this had the potential to be a fun series.

Edited by Chaos Theory
  • Love 3

Hot Shots I saw it on the other night and wondered if I'd still like it as much as when I was a kid.  Yes! It was just as funny as I remembered. Their all idiots. But its so funny and fun.  Everything the Admiral says is hilarious and I love how he never gets Block's name right and him yelling at the painting at "Roy" who won't answer him and all his various accidents. Watching the guys behind him in the window switch from military movements to dancing. I also love him telling the men under him during the pep talk that he flew like 186 missions and was shot down every time.  

Sing Dreidel song and the Brady Show theme song as unit is marching when Topper arrives. Topper and Kent pushing each other in club which leads to everyone else fighting too. Then they all make up when Ramona tells them to stop.  The dog popping up everywhere.

Ramona trying to warn Topper when he lives her office she can see the wires hanging down. Although maybe tell him that part Ramona? Nope, tells him he's going to get hurt and he thinks their still talking about his flying. Close the door and cue him being electrocuted we see his skeleton light up then one by one his bones falls down with his head being last lingering a few seconds before falling.  

Topper arriving at the bunk and Kent mad at him over what his father did. Wash-Out's family being the one who shot and ate Kent's father "If it helps I didn't have second." Topper wondering why Kent was mad at him when Wash Out ate his father. Everyone else realizing their related or have been to Eagle River. 

Wash-Out's walleye vision, the whole scene of him pretending to be Topper and that go so hilariously bad, ending with him being dragged to the hospital because his parachute got caught on the ambulance. Poor Dead Meat surviving the crash only to end up being killed by the EMT's who keep letting hitting his head with the ambulance door and the hospital doors, and of course the Doctor who admits he's not that good of a doctor. All the "signs" he was going to do die his wife meets him before he leaves, the black cat, broken mirror, doesn't sign his life insurance, and he had proof on who killed Kennedy right in his pocket. 

The speed bumps. "I'm at Third and Maine" Topper cruising past a street in his plane,  claiming "I thought I saw Elvis" to explain why he suddenly dropped from formation when Block mention's his father's name, being told to let go "the King is dead." Wash-Out getting lost and somehow landing on the Vegas strip.

Edited by andromeda331
  • Love 2

A friend and I like to watch Spice World and From Justin to Kelly at least once a year or so.  (And they were both written by the same person, possibly in crayon in the case of the latter.)  It's hilarious on Kelly Clarkson's talk show when someone will bring up the movie and she is very unhappy.  "Contractual obligation!!"

I haven't watched it for a while, but I used to be obsessed with Twister.  It was out when I was in college, and my mom wanted to take me to a movie after a particularly stressful end to the term.  I picked it because I couldn't think of anything else.  She'd already seen it because she thought I wouldn't like it (such as when she would see all those movies about erupting volcancoes that were seemingly out back then and I would see another movie at the same theater), but I really enjoyed all the implausible action, loud music, flying cows and one-liners (especially by Jami Gertz).  I kept getting her to go see it again to the point that it started to annoy her.  I also watched it a lot when it came to cable, even once dubbed into Spanish on Telemundo!

Edited by KWalkerInc
I spelled Jami Gertz's name wrong.
  • Love 5
8 hours ago, KWalkerInc said:

A friend and I like to watch Spice World and From Justin to Kelly at least once a year or so.  (And they were both written by the same person, possibly in crayon in the case of the latter.)  It's hilarious on Kelly Clarkson's talk show when someone will bring up the movie and she is very unhappy.  "Contractual obligation!!"

I remember my sister and I watching From Justin to Kelly on some Spanish-language movie channel once. The only time there was no Spanish was when they were singing, and as a result, the transition from everyone speaking Spanish one minute into singing in English the next was really awkward. We got a real kick out of it :p. 

It's been so long since I've seen Spice World. I had a VHS of that movie when I was a teenager. I should find that movie somewhere and get it again :D. 

And I'll go to bat for Twister, too. I remember seeing that movie when it came out in theaters, and the lines for it were SO LONG. Course, I live in Iowa, and I think it's some kind of unwritten law that anyone who lives anywhere in a state here in Tornado Alley has to see Twister at least once :p. 

But yeah. It's ridiculous fun. My favorite thing is how Bill and Jo's car can survive so much crazy damage as it does. My mom's joked that she wants a car that can outlast all that kind of stuff, 

• Love 3

With The Purge franchise being made into a successful tv series I was thinking maybe Starship Troopers if done right could be a fun series.   It has it all.   Good action.  Love triangles galore.   Plus some interesting political commentary.

• Love 2
On 1/7/2020 at 11:26 AM, Annber03 said:

I remember my sister and I watching From Justin to Kelly on some Spanish-language movie channel once. The only time there was no Spanish was when they were singing, and as a result, the transition from everyone speaking Spanish one minute into singing in English the next was really awkward. We got a real kick out of it :p. 

I wish they had an option for dialogue in Spanish on my DVD.  I'm pretty sure they were too cheap to do that though since the movie was only in theaters a few weeks (surprisingly there were at least a dozen people when my friend and I saw a matinee the Monday after it came out) and they didn't think anyone would buy it--which was probably true, given how fast it wound up in the budget aisle at Target.  The DVD has the theatrical version on one side and the extended version (which we always opt for) on the other.  It's a couple of extra musical numbers, including one that was deleted (according to the commentary track from Kelly, Justin and whoever the director was) because it made the characters seem "too young."  However, whenever the movie has aired on TV, they show the extended version with the other two songs.  Although this movie attempts to be comedic, I think the funniest part is when Kelly's backstabbing friend Alexa breaks into song and goes through an elaborate song and dance number where many men carry her around and fling her back and forth across a bar, only to then casually return to her seat and sip on her drink after the last fling like nothing has happened.  It makes the rest of the numbers feel seamless in comparison.

• Love 2
18 minutes ago, Spartan Girl said:

Daddy Day Care. It's not the worst Eddie Murphy, and the little boy that played his son was just too adorable.

I love that movie.

To be honest, all of the movies are basically the same movie:

Billy Madison
Kindergarten Cop
Troop Beverly Hills
Daddy Day Care
School of Rock
Bad Teacher
Kicking & Screaming (Will Ferrell version)

No complaints from me, LOL.  All of these movies are absolute favourites of mine with the exception of "Troop".

Edited by Ms Blue Jay
  • Love 5
21 hours ago, Ms Blue Jay said:

To be honest, all of the movies are basically the same movie:

Billy Madison
Kindergarten Cop
Troop Beverly Hills
Daddy Day Care
School of Rock
Bad Teacher
Kicking & Screaming (Will Ferrell version)

No complaints from me, LOL.  All of these movies are absolute favourites of mine with the exception of "Troop".

Ha - whereas Troop Beverly Hills is the only one of those I've seen, and it's indeed a guilty pleasure.  I hardly ever catch it on TV, but whenever I do, I watch at least part of it.

• Love 3

I love Billy Madison. Yes, I like vintage Sandler before he got too old to do those type movies.

I think School of Rock is an actual good movie.

The Crow is a bad one I've seen many times. It doesn't help that Comet has been showing it like every other day recently. I just can't pass it by.

• Love 5
35 minutes ago, festivus said:

I love Billy Madison. Yes, I like vintage Sandler before he got too old to do those type movies.

I think School of Rock is an actual good movie.

The Crow is a bad one I've seen many times. It doesn't help that Comet has been showing it like every other day recently. I just can't pass it by.

I think School of Rock is a fantastic movie!  I don't think any of the movies I mentioned are "stupid" but they seem to fit the theme and go along with Daddy Daycare.  

• Love 7

The way Hackers portrays computers is laughably stupid, but I still find the cast really appealing despite all of that.

The soundtrack was also a terrific gateway drug into mid-90s electronica.

• Love 6
10 hours ago, starri said:

The way Hackers portrays computers is laughably stupid, but I still find the cast really appealing despite all of that.

The soundtrack was also a terrific gateway drug into mid-90s electronica.

I love that movie. It is cheesy and absurd, with lots of overacting and hamming it up, but it was my introduction to Angelina Jolie, and she definitely made an impact. The aesthetic of the movie - kind of cyberpunk in the contemporary world - was fun and mid-90s ideas about the internet and hacking are always so wacky.

• Love 4