Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E07: Bingo

• Start Topic

I gotta say that this aspect of the show maes me wistful. These are two people with some good qualities who obviously have affection for one another, and significant areas of compatibility, and we know, barring some major stuff that wouldn't make any sense, that they don't end up enjoying each other's company.

The world's a damned tragic place, even in the minor stuff that a guy in a trench coat once said doesn't amount to a hill of beans.

This aspect might be what separates Saul from the more cerebral, left hemisphere approach of Breaking Bad... the closest BB got to romance was Jesse and Jane sharing cute little animations and dreaming of museum visits... or perhaps hinted at it slightly with the mystery behind Walt and Gretchen's relationship but they never really developed that side of the show...  "Saul" might reveal the softer, romantic side of Vince Gilligan.

• Love 2

The thing is, we know the softer, romantic, caring side of Jimmy (I'm including his relationship with Chuck here), will not last. We didn't know much of Saul's personal life from Breaking Bad, so it's not out of the question that Chuck or Kim was still in the picture, but it doesn't really seem like they were. We know the idealism from which he's made choices so far... not committing Chuck... sacrificing his own financial and business wellness to help Kim with the Kettlemans... that will be dead by the time he meets Walter White. Something's going to kill that idealism, and it probably revolves around Chuck and Kim. As much as I want to know what happens, it's not going to be a happy story, that's for sure.

• Love 9

Most people who change their identity start over in a new place where no one knows them, so I've been wondering why a guy changes his name and not only doesn't leave town, but also puts up big billboards so that everyone who knew Jimmy also knows that he's now Saul. I can only imagine it is so he doesn't dishonour his brother's name.

That is the possibility that arises most immediately in my thoughts, so maybe . . . it is the opposite.  Chuck is the one who lets Jimmy down in a serious enough way that Jimmy wants to shed all ties to him.  Submitted for your approval:  Chuck seemed to almost be smirking, was definitely pleased as punch when on the sofa and Jimmy was leaving.  He could have just been proud of himself for taking a step to normalcy, or he could be scheming.  Maybe I just have too much of a suspicious bent.

Hmm, I figured they were being up-front about where it was going -- to the DA, via some untraceable route of Mike's devising. (Say, he squirrels it away in a bus station locker and sends the DA the key.) I don't see why Jimmy would need to make sure every penny of the money was there if it weren't immediately going to someone who was going to count it, and no one but the DA would care that every penny was there.

I think the specific terms of the plea deal included the return of the money, so it has to get to the authorities.  But I doubt that Mike can hand it over in person, him being under suspicion of murder in Philadelphia and all.  The thing I wonder about is the huge trust factor Jimmy had to have in Mike, both in getting the money away from the Kettlemans and returning it.  And the riskiness for Mike if he had been caught. 

Edited by ShadowFacts
  • Love 1

I think the specific terms of the plea deal included the return of the money, so it has to get to the authorities. But I doubt that Mike can hand it over in person, him being under suspicion of murder in Philadelphia and all.

The thing I wonder about is the huge trust factor Jimmy had to have in Mike, both in getting the money away from the Kettlemans and returning it. And the riskiness for Mike if he had been caught.

Mike taking the loot straight to the DA is as plausible as Jimmy & Mike finding that notebook in the parking lot. But Betsy Kettleman's not nearly as smart as she thinks she is, so she bought the story & folded.

All of Jimmy's plans contain an element of risk, but he's a pretty good judge of character. Sadly, he couldn't see there's no way in hell Kim would leave HHM to start a fledgling elderlaw practice with him.

Jimmy thanked Mike for not taking the money and running. I don't think he knows about Kaylee and Stacey keeping Mike in Albuquerque, but he believes Mike is an honorable man*. Someone upthread speculated that Mike is bored. That makes sense to me. Someone else said Mike already has more positive feelings towards Jimmy than he ever will for Walter White. I agree.

*I really think Mike's going to take what sees as a reasonable cut of the money for himself & for Jimmy. He was shaking his head at Jimmy putting back his bribe (yes, that is what we're calling it), and seeing Mike with a duffle bag full of cash reminded me of him divvying up the money with Walt & Jesse.

Edited by editorgrrl
  • Love 1

I think Betsy has made it pretty clear she is more interested in the money than the welfare of her husband. She only balked at the deal because it involved giving the money back. There are also pretty strong hints that she was the motivating force behind the embezzlement in the first place.

• Love 7

I am enjoying the hell out of this show, and I am unsure why. i think it is because it includes actual pay offs from various actions in each ep layered on top of the longer mythology of how Jimmy becomes Saul. The Kettlemans getting their just desserts, Mike and his burglary skills, even Chuck trying to get better. Stuff doesn't drag on and on before resulting in something. I never thought Saul would be a strong enough character to carry a series, but he doesn't have to with supporting players like Mike and Nacho.

• Love 4

I don't know what world Betsy Kettleman lives in.  I have never seen a character living in such denial.  It seemed like she cared more about the money than her own husband's freedom.  Eighteen months, perhaps less, is better than thirty years in prison.  What part of that did she not get?

Ma Kettle is a sociopath. She'll rationalize anything, and the only reason she isn't violent is because she knows being violent greatly decreases the odds of not being punished. Nothing got her attention until Jimmy told her that attempting to implicate Jimmy would result in her going to prison as well, along with her husband. To Pa Kettle, that woud be the worst disaster,because their kids might end up with strangers. I bet that is a seondary concern to Ma; she just can't handle the thought of herself being held responsible for her behavior.

• Love 3

Things I learned watching BB and BCS - people stash drugs and money under their sinks.

Agree with upthread where they say we don't have to be spoon fed what is going on.  The whole truck trick, the view of Those Kettleman's from Mike's vantage point, we didn't have to hear any conversation to know what going on in the house.

Didn't get the feeling Jaul was using his brother to do his work, but rather get him back into the law groove and ready to fight back against HHM for taking advantage of his Chuck's situation.

Those Kettleman's cracked me up when said she was going to call the police...hahaha really?!?!? Silly Woman

Another great episode and soooo sad when they said 3 left

• Love 3

Jimmy sure knows his Classics.  I looked up 'cloud cuckoo-land' and it's from Aristophanies' play 'The Birds'

The Lego Movie must have been looking at Aristophanies too, although I'm sure Jimmy wasn't referencing that.

I'm completely satisfied with how they're not rushing the Jimmy to Saul transformation.  They can move as slowly on that as they want, as long as the story remains this good.

• Love 4

I am enjoying the hell out of this show, and I am unsure why. i think it is because it includes actual payoffs from various actions in each ep layered on top of the longer mythology of how Jimmy becomes Saul. The Kettlemans getting their just desserts, Mike and his burglary skills, even Chuck trying to get better. Stuff doesn't drag on and on before resulting in something. I never thought Saul would be a strong enough character to carry a series, but he doesn't have to with supporting players like Mike and Nacho.

Speaking of which—where the hell is Nacho? I'm interested in the character, and I really like the actor, Michael Mando (Vic on Orphan Black). I want more Nacho!

How on earth was Mike going to explain showing up at the DA's office with all that money?

They would have been expecting someone to show up with the money after Kim accepted the deal. If they tried to ask any questions, I picture Mike saying he was just a deliveryman and they should talk to her.

• Love 1

The thing that I love about Kim is how kindly she speaks to Jimmy.  It really struck me in the scene where he's showing her the office space, and she says [paraphrasing from memory] "It's a great space, and you deserve it."  It really stuck out and made me recognize how rare it is in the BB-verse for one character to authentically and simply have a kind word for another.  And then Jimmy returned that kindness with a (mostly) selfless gesture of his own, by helping the Kettlefish return to Kim.

The tragedy of BCS will be Jimmy losing that internal well of kindness as he becomes Saul Goodman.

• Love 7

But, we only know Saul Goodman as he fit into the BB world. Who knows what Saul was like when not surrounded by the likes of WW and Jesse? Maybe he has not lost all of his kindness. Maybe we just weren't given any opportunities to see it.  Or maybe I'm just being unreasonably (and uncharacteristically) generous in spirit today.

• Love 13

The actress who plays Kim is good too, and I like her unexpectedly low voice. I think Kim genuinely cares for Jimmy, but she just isn't madly in love with him,

. As for his brother, I think he wants him to be happy, but he was dubious about Chuck's new way of building up a "tolerance," because while it could be a good sign, it could also just be another weird way his mental problems are manifesting. Two minutes out of the day is not a long time.

So, I got to re-watch the ep with all the dialog intact (thanks again, editorgrrl).

Re: the first paragraph above. When I originally viewed the show, I thought what Kim had mouthed to Jimmy in the elevator after he had returned those Kettlemans to her was 'thank you.' On second viewing, I was startled to see 'I love you.' I even went back to look at it again, and it still looked like 'I love you.' Did anyone else see that??? Or are my eyes deceiving me?

Second 'graph: Jimmy looked to have tears in his eyes when Chuck was being so proud of standing outside for two whole minutes. I think those tears were Jimmy's own pride mixed with love and a bit of fear that Chuck is fooling himself.

Oh? And after a second viewing? Even more than before I want Betsy to go down. Hard.

• Love 1

But, we only know Saul Goodman as he fit into the BB world. Who knows what Saul was like when not surrounded by the likes of WW and Jesse? Maybe he has not lost all of his kindness. Maybe we just weren't given any opportunities to see it.  Or maybe I'm just being unreasonably (and uncharacteristically) generous in spirit today.

If you spliced together just the Jimmy scenes with Mike or Nacho... it would still seem a lot like Breaking Bad.  I think a lot of people that seem like one thing at work become a lot more rounded and complex characters if you see them in their home environment and personal lives.  And underneath the shyster lawyer routine, Saul was still a likeable character so that part of Jimmy was still there.

• Love 5

I even went back to look at it again, and it still looked like 'I love you.' Did anyone else see that??? Or are my eyes deceiving me?

I saw "thank you."

I like how the show is swinging from farce (Betsy K.) to pathos (Jimmy's forlorn mood at the episode end). Not always easy to portray.

• Love 5

Very late to the party but finally caught up on this show and I LOVE it.  I never thought I'd see the day that I would get verklempt for Jimmy/Saul.  That was a wonderful final scene.

Also, any show that can work in "kerfuffle" into the dialogue is win for me.

Edited by catrox14
  • Love 5

Any show that can work "kerfuffle" into the dialogue is win for me.

That one's good. Cloud-cuckoo-land, too. But my favorite line from this episode is Irene's, "I love kitties. I have two siamese cats: Oscar and Felix. Felix can wash himself. Oscar won't—he just won't."

• Love 4

I think Betsy has made it pretty clear she is more interested in the money than the welfare of her husband. She only balked at the deal because it involved giving the money back. There are also pretty strong hints that she was the motivating force behind the embezzlement in the first place.

ITA. That her husband might have to spend up to 30 years in prison seemed to not worry her at all. Maybe it's because she doesn't buy that number (30 years seems pretty high to me, indeed, I guess Kim might have intentionally exaggerated a bit here to frighten them), but there's no doubt he'd have to face some serious jail time.

If Betsy Kettleman is getting off without facing jail herself, it's an interesting choice, much like a season long equivalent to the stairlift scene in Alpine Sheppard Boy: It makes us experience the situation of Jimmy by putting us into his shoes and letting us feel exactly the same emotions. In the stairlift scene, it was the feeling of little payoff in relation to the time spend, much like Jimmy had to with the old lady for a relatively paltry sum of 140$. Here, Jimmy had to settle for helping Kim saving her career plans, but losing out on a big personal gain (he even had to pay back his "retainer") and we as an audience had to settle for a great scene with Mike and subsequently Jimmy's takedown of the Kettlemans, but lost out on seeing Betsy behind bars as well as seeing Jimmy reaping the rewards for his good deeds - we're still stuck in the nail salon along with Jimmy, at least for now.

Edited by Conan Troutman
  • Love 2

Damn you, Odenkirk!  I love him and I love Jimmy and the show has me hooked.  When he is gleeful, I am pleased.  When he's heartbroken, I am too.

Jimmy's relationship with Kim continues to hold my attention. I knew what he was going to do when they walked into the other office and I held my breathe a little b/c you know Kim cares for him, but for whatever reasons, keeps him at arm's length. 

The Kettlemans!  Oh man.  They are just amazing! Crazy, stupid, greedy, useless.

Very cool to see Mike doing his thing again.  Thanks to the posters above for the song.

• Love 5

That is the possibility that arises most immediately in my thoughts, so maybe . . . it is the opposite.  Chuck is the one who lets Jimmy down in a serious enough way that Jimmy wants to shed all ties to him.  Submitted for your approval:  Chuck seemed to almost be smirking, was definitely pleased as punch when on the sofa and Jimmy was leaving.  He could have just been proud of himself for taking a step to normalcy, or he could be scheming.  Maybe I just have too much of a suspicious bent.

I do think it seems rather suspicious that Jimmy showed up at Chuck's house during the 2 minutes he was out back. Almost as if Chuck saw Jimmy pull up and rushed outside for that routine.

It could be that Chuck has his own con going (risking his "health"), in order to push Jimmy away, maybe so as not to repeat incidents of worry such as what led him to being tazered. Or it might be that Chuck subconsciously wants to believe he's trying to get better, but actively being seen outside rather than offhandedly telling others he spent two minutes outside today is better on the psyche.

Edited by Tim Thomason
  • Love 1

I don't think Chuck was acting suspiciously as a public feint or blind, because he went to the back (court)yard for his display.  I should think if he'd wanted to be seen or make a big show, he'd have gone to the front yard where he already knows he has a nosy neighbor waiting for him.  I still wouldn't put it past Chuck to be hiding because he wants to avoid some big HHM legal requirement, but they're being pretty slow unpacking that plotline if so.  I should think in a scenario like mine, they would at least have wanted to seed the ground with mentions of some big case that's nowt to do with those Kettlemans, that Kim and/or everybody else is running around doing side work on, which could be done without trumpeting its possible connection to Chuck in advance.  I guess it could be some legal action that's not yet seen the public light of day.

Edited by queenanne
  • Love 1

I was just pondering where the stack of cash that Mike sprayed with luminol and planted in the back yard came from.  Was it part of what Jimmy kept as a 'retainer'?  Plus, how fortuitous was it that Mr. K took out the garbage and noticed it?  Was Mike prepared to stay there indefinitely until it was discovered?  It might have been days.  I suppose he could have left and come back the next day when they were gone taking the kids to school, etc. making for an easier break-in.  Of course the nighttime burglary with black light and cool music was more artsy. 

I do think it seems rather suspicious that Jimmy showed up at Chuck's house during the 2 minutes he was out back. Almost as if Chuck saw Jimmy pull up and rushed outside for that routine.

This is just a thing that happens all the time in movies and on tv shows. 

• Love 2

I still wouldn't put it past Chuck to be hiding because he wants to avoid some big HHM legal requirement, but they're being pretty slow unpacking that plotline if so.  I should think in a scenario like mine, they would at least have wanted to seed the ground with mentions of some big case that's nowt to do with those Kettlemans, that Kim and/or everybody else is running around doing side work on, which could be done without trumpeting its possible connection to Chuck in advance.  I guess it could be some legal action that's not yet seen the public light of day.

If your speculation turns out to be true, queenanne, it could explain how Jimmy "breaks bad" and turns into Saul. The brother he's been idolizing as a paragon of rectitude turns out to be as shady as the rest of them. Jimmy's resulting disillusion, his realization that the one role model he was striving to live up to is no role model at all, tip him over to the dark side.

Edited by Milburn Stone
  • Love 3

Betsy truly is a little sociopath.  She'd throw her own kids under the bus to save herself and her money.

The only implausible thing about the episode were the offices Jimmy was going to lease.  They were brand new and huge, office space for a whole firm.  Getting some cases from an old folks home isn't going to fund that.  I thought they might make it a little more realistic and have Jimmy trying to lease a small but respectable space with a couple of offices and a waiting room.

Mike may be showing more of his human side in BCS, but it's easy to forget that he is still a bad man.  It will be interesting to watch his transition from a man beset by guilt and regret in BCS to the hired killer/enforcer in BB.

• Love 3

The way they are setting this story up, I think there's more to tell than just "How does Jimmy turn into the Saul we knew from 'Breaking Bad'". Is there still some of Jimmy left when he's an unscrupulous criminal criminal attorney? I imagine part of him hated who he became, which adds another layer to the confident persona he had in BB. I'd love to see the story continue into the BB timeline as we see things from Saul's perspective, and I definitely want to see what happens after Omaha. I can't see how the existential struggle of Jimmy McGill being established can be a complete story without that.

• Love 6

The only implausible thing about the episode were the offices Jimmy was going to lease.  They were brand new and huge, office space for a whole firm.  Getting some cases from an old folks home isn't going to fund that.

In 2002, the economy was still dragging from when things fell apart in late 2000, so the owner could have been desperate enough to finally see some money come in on his new space to give Jimmy a great deal. It may have been tougher to furnish the place.

• Love 2

One more thing. . . the whole radio control car thing? remember the little radio control car that was speeding around Hank and Marie's street on BB? Now we have a radio control car in BCS! 

I imagine a radio controlled truck dragging that black bag full of money to the front of the DA's office. Because that's how Mike rolls.

• Love 2

Oh geez, I saw very few BB and none with Jimmy so I guess I must brace myself for heartbreak. I am so loving this show and the characters but now I am afraid, very afraid. In my own naive mind I figured that a change to Saul Goodman was just based on thinking a different ethnicity would bring him more business. Now I am getting a Jekyll/Hyde vibe. Say it ain't so.

I love how the show just takes its sweet time with everything. The scene with Mike and Jaul alone at the police station was quiet and beautiful. 

I also enjoy the fact that Kim, who is gorgeous and smart, is not a typical "pretty blonde." I would love to get to know her better.

It's also nice to see Bob Odenkirk show off his acting chops. Whenever we saw him on BB, he was always "on," but here we see glimpses of his raw emotions. Those quiet "off" moments (like his scenes with Chuck) leave a strong impression... 

I had my doubts until episode 5, but I am officially in love with this show. BCS, all the way!

• Love 3

Oh geez, I saw very few BB and none with Jimmy so I guess I must brace myself for heartbreak. I am so loving this show and the characters but now I am afraid, very afraid. In my own naive mind I figured that a change to Saul Goodman was just based on thinking a different ethnicity would bring him more business. Now I am getting a Jekyll/Hyde vibe. Say it ain't so.

It ain't so. At least, not to me. I never saw BrBa Saul as evil or bad. To me he was a pragmatist, doing what it took to get by. When it came to people around him, he was a realist without being judgmental. There was an instance in which he suggested that Walt and Jesse's best way out of a particular predicament was to kill someone--but even then, it was just a fact, and they had no intention of carrying it out.

I'm probably a lone voice crying in the wilderness on Jimmy/Saul's behalf, but that's what you asked for, right, SoSueMe?

• Love 5

My take on the real reason Betsy Dearest was thoroughly revolted at the thought of jail time for hubby was that she would be stuck raising Pugsley and his sister.  It would have to be done on the government dole, to boot.  That's a pretty fair outline of what Hell would look like to her.

I wrote a lot as to how I could not suspend disbelief over certain convenient happenstance in earlier eps.  Yet, the money being discovered in the toy car was easy for me to accept.  It really is funny how we all draw certain conclusions based on all manner of circumstance and the bias and prejudice we bring.  My fanwank is that Mike would have made the thing move back and forth to ensure it grabbed their attention.  Or, he would have created some kind of noisy diversion which would lead one of them outside to notice the money.

What I can't get past is that they had not already spent tens of thousands already.  The boat?  Hello?  HHM hourly fees?  Yet, given the shady way the D.A. will have received the cash, I doubt anything will be said.  He really needs the case to go away.  Silly Jimmy.  He really did slip this time.  He threw away at least $50K for no good reason.

Edited by Lonesome Rhodes
  • Love 1
I wrote a lot as to how I could not suspend disbelief over certain convenient happenstance in earlier eps.  Yet, the money being discovered in the toy car was easy for me to accept.  It really is funny how we all draw certain conclusions based on all manner of circumstance and the bias and prejudice we bring.  My fanwank is that Mike would have made the thing move back and forth to ensure it grabbed their attention.  Or, he would have created some kind of noisy diversion which would lead one of them outside to notice the money.

Mike didn't bring the truck - the truck belonged to the kid(s).  Mike merely put the money in the truck and left it sitting out obvious so one of the parents would find the money, assume the kids had gotten into the money and were playing around with it, and put it back - and, in the process, show him exactly where the money was hidden.  All Mike needed was patience to wait until one of the parents found it "on their own"; noisy attractions and attention-getting could have defeated the purpose and raised suspicion.

That was my take on it, anyway.  YMMV

• Love 4

It ain't so. At least, not to me. I never saw BrBa Saul as evil or bad. To me he was a pragmatist, doing what it took to get by. When it came to people around him, he was a realist without being judgmental. There was an instance in which he suggested that Walt and Jesse's best way out of a particular predicament was to kill someone--but even then, it was just a fact, and they had no intention of carrying it out.

I'm probably a lone voice crying in the wilderness on Jimmy/Saul's behalf, but that's what you asked for, right, SoSueMe?

He chose to continue in a line of work where very, very bad things happened.

Yes.  The problem was ensuring that the mom or dad went outside at all.  If they never went outside, in the dark, there goes the plan.

Correct. And if they hadn't come out tonight, then Mike would've come back tomorrow night - or the night after - or the night after THAT - and done the same thing over again and again and again until one of the parents did come out and see the money. Because Mike is patient.

Maybe I should repeat that for added emphasis - Mike is PATIENT.

Not patient like you or I, not patient like someone who restrains themself from laying on the horn because the car ahead in traffic didn't move as soon as the light changed. As evidenced by the row of apple cores on top of the brick wall, Mike had already stood there for hours before Pa Kettle came outside. And if it hadn't happened tonight, Mike would have done the same thing over and over again until it *did* happen. Because that's what Mike can do - wait patiently for what seems like forever, until the right person screws up.

That quality is unique, and it's probably a large part of why Mike was such a good cop.

• Love 8

Saul has already taken a bribe and we see him return it in this episode. In the years-distant future, he is actively engaged in criminal activity which takes him to hiding in Omaha afraid of his own shadow. So what's intriguing to me is how he slides down the slope. Having someone like Mike do his dirty work probably helps. Didn't end well for Mike, either. Both of their fates changed when they met at the parking booth.