Type keyword(s) to search

Sweet Fellowship: Duggars and Friends (aka the Bates Family and Other Featured Families Thread)

Message added by Scarlett45

If a person/family was never featured on any of the Duggar shows, and is not related to the Duggar family by blood or marriage, they do not need to be discussed here..

The Politics Policy is still in effect. A participants social media is NOT an invitation to discuss their political view points. Consider if discussion of certain social media posts will cause you to violate the politics policy BEFORE you hit the "Submit Reply" button.

We may all agree that David Rodriques is quite unfortunate looking, but let's refrain from comparing human beings to apes, its got way too much of a loaded history- please review the new Inclusion Policy updated May 1, 2022 , which details guidelines around discussing body type, capabilities, physical appearance etc. Additionally, using body size as an insult is not allowed.

• Start Topic

I think "primitive," as in primitive air fresheners, refers to the primitive stores Jill visits on her many gift shop tours. It means old-fashioned or country style, according to Google. Jill likes this style, so Kaylee and Renee do too. The barndo is full of cheap versions of it. 

• Useful 3
  • Love 3

2 hours ago, MunichNark said:

Those earrings!😱 Badly cut, all over the place. Do the NotNuries have to work for their tiny morsels of food now?

They look so bad, like if they were 5 it would be cute, but they aren't. 

• LOL 1
  • Love 6

In my fan-fiction version of their lives, Kaylee and Renee have struck out on their own, away from "Momma," maybe in Florida near Nurie.  In this alternate world I'd buy several of their homemade....er, handmade items, just to support their journey to freedom.  I wouldn't wear or use any of that god-awful stuff, but I'd support their cause.

• Love 10
3 hours ago, ginger90 said:

Jill and David got married on October 4, 1997.

9B59B6C8-B50F-42EA-820B-D076A504F65F.jpeg

F37675F5-CE13-44B3-811E-2CAC7515F358.jpeg

B00AB3D0-B9C5-4346-AE21-4C0D4BF5051A.jpeg

1. The batshit one had "Irish twins" more than once, and only missed "Irish triplets" by a couple weeks. I use quotation marks because I dislike using ethnic references but don't have a more descriptive term. I'm a mutt of largely Irish descent. 

2. She must have conceived (ew) and miscarried immediately after her marriage. I apologize for putting in your head the mental image of Jill and David having sex. 

3. How early were her "SEVERE" miscarriages? 

4. I feel bad for the NotNuries about their Etsy shop. I thought the earrings were Paparazzi crap at first, but they're even worse than that. (For those who don't know, Paparazzi is another predatory MLM. They sell cheap-looking jewelry at $5 a pop.) 

• Useful 2
  • Love 10
1 hour ago, Heathen said:

1. The batshit one had "Irish twins" more than once, and only missed "Irish triplets" by a couple weeks. I use quotation marks because I dislike using ethnic references but don't have a more descriptive term. I'm a mutt of largely Irish descent. 

2. She must have conceived (ew) and miscarried immediately after her marriage. I apologize for putting in your head the mental image of Jill and David having sex. 

3. How early were her "SEVERE" miscarriages? 

4. I feel bad for the NotNuries about their Etsy shop. I thought the earrings were Paparazzi crap at first, but they're even worse than that. (For those who don't know, Paparazzi is another predatory MLM. They sell cheap-looking jewelry at $5 a pop.) 

I purchase jewelry from a a MLM that I actually think sell great products. Not all MLM are bad. The brand is Plunder and the jewelry is very well made. Their necklaces are one of the few that don't make my neck itch and they have really cute and unique things. And they don't look like crap! 

• Useful 1
  • Love 1
19 minutes ago, libgirl2 said:

I purchase jewelry from a a MLM that I actually think sell great products. Not all MLM are bad. The brand is Plunder and the jewelry is very well made. Their necklaces are one of the few that don't make my neck itch and they have really cute and unique things. And they don't look like crap! 

MLMs don't usually rip-off the buyers, its the low & mid level sellers that get scammed.

• Useful 1
  • Love 6
10 minutes ago, GeeGolly said:

MLMs don't usually rip-off the buyers, its the low & mid level sellers that get scammed.

I was thinking more along the lines of Avon, Pampered Chef..... but yes, you don't get into them thinking you are going to get rich. Just enjoy the products and have some fun. If you make a bit of money on the side great. 

Edited by libgirl2
7 minutes ago, GeeGolly said:

I'd argue that they're all getting scammed. The sellers for obvious reasons, the buyers (even if they don't get a "join us" pitch) because they're getting merchandise at overinflated prices. The nature of all MLMs is to be predatory. 

On topic: I wonder if the NotNuries actually like the primitive, kitschy style, or if they just think they have to because Jill does. 

• Useful 3
  • Love 7
26 minutes ago, Heathen said:

I'd argue that they're all getting scammed. The sellers for obvious reasons, the buyers (even if they don't get a "join us" pitch) because they're getting merchandise at overinflated prices. The nature of all MLMs is to be predatory. 

On topic: I wonder if the NotNuries actually like the primitive, kitschy style, or if they just think they have to because Jill does. 

The jewelry I buy is very reasonably priced. I compare it to what I see in lower priced and higher prices stores and it compares very well. I also keep an eye when they have sales. Pampered Chef is WAY over priced. I bought once. I like the one product I bought but saw it for nearly half the price at Kohl's! 

Wanted to add when I see what they charge for those awful earrings... I"m even happier with what I buy! I can get earring from $8 to $15 or $16 dollars that don't look like a toddler made them. 

Edited by libgirl2
  • Love 2

The not Nurie who left a review at the bottom of the page, didn't read it before or after it was posted. It looks like Renee posted it, but Kaylee (supposedly) wrote it, because it says she enjoys working with her sister Renee

4 hours ago, libgirl2 said:

I was thinking more along the lines of Avon, Pampered Chef..... but yes, you don't get into them thinking you are going to get rich. Just enjoy the products and have some fun. If you make a bit of money on the side great. 

Avon isn't an MLM.You get 40% of sales,with no buying up front.I just wanted to clarify that.It would prob.work out better for Jill than Plexus

• Useful 4
  • Love 5
On 12/11/2020 at 7:09 PM, ginger90 said:

Well, they're a little better at designing this stuff than Nurie was. .... It's a compared-to-what thing, though. 

Also -- What's a "primitive" air freshener?  -- "Fill your home with the smell of your choice by ordering a handmade, primitive air freshener." 

Because, especially when combined with "the smell of your choice," "primitive" calls up some associations that seem...uh...odd, at best. 

• LOL 8
  • Love 3

What does this mean? Today's FB post by JillR. The Lord's return?

When Nathan & Nurie came to visit in October, we sang this song at our church with Nurie. It was so special and the church folks got SO excited (along with us) about the Lord's return.

48 minutes ago, Churchhoney said:

Well, they're a little better at designing this stuff than Nurie was. .... It's a compared-to-what thing, though. 

Also -- What's a "primitive" air freshener?  -- "Fill your home with the smell of your choice by ordering a handmade, primitive air freshener." 

Because, especially when combined with "the smell of your choice," "primitive" calls up some associations that seem...uh...odd, at best. 

The item uses scents like cinnamon and clove on simple air fresheners. Primitive describes the design of the scent holder, not the scent. The NotNuries have no idea that people may not have the same references as Momma. Advertising requires some understanding of the audience. 

43 minutes ago, GeeGolly said:

What does this mean? Today's FB post by JillR. The Lord's return?

When Nathan & Nurie came to visit in October, we sang this song at our church with Nurie. It was so special and the church folks got SO excited (along with us) about the Lord's return.

Many white American evangelicals think God has finally decided to swoop in and take over after waiting an eternity for the "right" people to facilitate Jesus's return. Trapdoor Jill thinks that her persecution is a sign that she is among the chosen soon to be rescued and delivered. No people in the history of the world (a subject they know nothing about) have suffered as much as today's white American Christians: masks, war on Christmas, educated liberals, etc. I have a feeling that Jill may be around longer than she expects and will have to keep her Plexus income going to provide food for David's massive appetite. 

Edited by BradandJanet
proofreading
  • Useful 4
  • Love 16

The only Fundies we know for sure are pregnant is Kendra (& mom) and Alyssa. It seems that neither JillR or Nurie is. No other Bates ladies have announced. I think this must be a record, at least since Lissy was born.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, GeeGolly said:

The only Fundies we know for sure are pregnant is Kendra (& mom) and Alyssa. It seems that neither JillR or Nurie is. No other Bates ladies have announced. I think this must be a record, at least since Lissy was born.

Whitney Bates is preggers. Due in June 2021.

• Useful 2
  • Love 3
17 hours ago, sondraK said:

Avon isn't an MLM.You get 40% of sales,with no buying up front.I just wanted to clarify that.It would prob.work out better for Jill than Plexus

Avon is an MLM, albeit less predatory than the newer ones. 

Only one Bates sister is pregnant? Wasn't the open-mouthed foolish one whose name I can't recall pregnant too? 

• Love 2

So I’m kinda late to the party, but I just got Hulu and started binging The Handmaiden’s Tale.  It’s utterly terrifying to think how the things that folks like the Rods and Duggars and Plaths espouse could ACTUALLY happen. That people are pushing for a society where women are uneducated subordinates where the best you could  aspire to is a husband who treats you like a human being. I know this is a work of fiction but GOOD LORD I can see so many parallels between this show and the lifestyle these folks lead IRL (from what we see...it may actually be dead-on for all we know).  It gives me the chills.  

• Love 20
19 minutes ago, Lady Edith said:

So I’m kinda late to the party, but I just got Hulu and started binging The Handmaiden’s Tale.  It’s utterly terrifying to think how the things that folks like the Rods and Duggars and Plaths espouse could ACTUALLY happen. That people are pushing for a society where women are uneducated subordinates where the best you could  aspire to is a husband who treats you like a human being. I know this is a work of fiction but GOOD LORD I can see so many parallels between this show and the lifestyle these folks lead IRL (from what we see...it may actually be dead-on for all we know).  It gives me the chills.  

Atwood claims that nothing in the book hasn't happened somewhere and some point in history, so it is chilling indeed. Patriarchy is a stubborn system that tends to hang on, and the Rods, Duggars, and Plaths would like us all to partake. 

• Love 12
23 minutes ago, Lady Edith said:

I read the sequel that came out last year, and there was a passage from there that made me think of all of these fundies.  The parallels between Gilead and them are disturbing.   In the book, a young woman has just switched her path from Wife to Aunt and is finally learning how to read.  She is given some old Dick and Jane books where Jane's clothes are colored over to make her more modest. 

• Love 1
42 minutes ago, 65mickey said:

I looked at their store on Easy. Cannot believe what they are trying to pass off as jewelry. And those ridiculous  looking faux leather earrings with pictures of trees glued on them actually sold. 

Some of it looks like old vinyl table clothes and aluminum foil. Am I the only one who sees that? 

• Love 14
1 hour ago, MargeGunderson said:

It looks like that to me too! Everything looks like it’s made by eight year olds. 

Well, it sort of was. Their kind of upbringing infantilizes people and fences them off from seeing any examples of anything other than what their parents and siblings portray and produce. 

When it comes to knowledge of the world or a sense of self, these two are about 10 at most. 

Edited by Churchhoney
  • Love 10
5 hours ago, Heathen said:

Avon is an MLM, albeit less predatory than the newer ones. 

Only one Bates sister is pregnant? Wasn't the open-mouthed foolish one whose name I can't recall pregnant too? 

One Bates sister and one Bates son's wife. 

One thing about the Rods' earrings, and those from some other sellers too, is that there are no measurements and nothing by which to judge size. I don't want to order a piece of jewelry and find it is three times larger or smaller than I expect. Measurements exist for a reason, and competent merchants use them. Again, this is just the daughters' being completely unaware of the world beyond them. Also, the site needs some useful reviews. A photo of Jill wearing one of these creations would be awesome. As if that would happen. 

• Love 13
2 minutes ago, Zella said:

They'll post their own, like poor Tim. 

I'm surprised they haven't. Timmy gets family reviews, but the NotNuries don't even rate those? What they say doesn't matter, but a photo of someone wearing a pair of these earrings would be telling. 

• Love 4
6 hours ago, Lady Edith said:

I read the book before I had kids.  I haven't been able to bring myself to watch the show even though it gets rave reviews, because it's so terrifyingly possible- exemplified daily by Jill R and the Duggars' posts!  

• Love 5
4 hours ago, BradandJanet said:

I'm surprised they haven't. Timmy gets family reviews, but the NotNuries don't even rate those? What they say doesn't matter, but a photo of someone wearing a pair of these earrings would be telling. 

They posted one. Or at least it's in the review section. I mentioned it above. It says it's by Renee but whoever wrote it mentioned she loved working with her sister Renee. 

Maybe they wrote it like that so nobody could say they reviewed themselves. Or they just weren't trying to make it make sense.

• LOL 2

I really hate it that I doubtTim's story about being shown something objectionable by a classmate 

Maybe the classmate showed him a Douay - Rheims version of the Bible or maybe Jill edits out the Song of Solomon from the Bible at home.

the church folks got SO excited (along with us) about the Lord's return.

And then Jill took them all to the Laundromat to meet Him.

So...are the female doctors that Jill takes her female children to see working from their homes?

• Useful 1
  • LOL 8
  • Love 8
14 hours ago, YupItsMe said:

I don’t think that’s a review, I think it’s part of their shop description. When I checked Etsy there were no reviews.

Would the shop description be at the bottom of the page? It could be, just seems weird, whatever it is. Also, it's under Renee's name and looks like Kaylee wrote it, but her name isn't on there at all. And after Timmy's remark about his family leaving their own comments/reviews, I just assumed that's what it was.

• Love 2
1 hour ago, beckie said:

Would the shop description be at the bottom of the page? It could be, just seems weird, whatever it is. Also, it's under Renee's name and looks like Kaylee wrote it, but her name isn't on there at all. And after Timmy's remark about his family leaving their own comments/reviews, I just assumed that's what it was.

In this case, yes.  The page is poorly laid out.  So the shop is created by Kaylee (see very top right corner)  and then in the "about" section at the bottom, it lists Renee as a "production partner"  and directly below that is the statement in question presumably from the shop owner (Kaylee).  

A more self aware shop owner would have looked at the page layout after filling out their profile, seen that it looked a bit confusing, and tweaked what they put in the different sections to make it look better.  Then again, most people would have noticed they misspelled birthday before actually posting the product online. 

• LOL 1
  • Love 22
13 hours ago, TresGatos said:

So...are the female doctors that Jill takes her female children to see working from their homes?

Yeah seriously. How on earth do these female doctors manage?! 🙄

What baffles me about any organized religion, but even more so the ultra conservative ones, is the prove-you're-a-believer rules. It seems no one can be trusted to follow the beliefs without having to prove it in some superficial way. If there is a God, I would think he/she would be more interested in folks living their lives with good intentions, over if they are wearing skirts, working for someone else, eating certain foods, etc.

I just watched a Dateline (20/20?) about this dude who went to church and tithed regularly, read his Bible on his own and appeared generally devoted to his religion. He raped and killed a young woman.

So when the Rods, Duggars, Bates and others get so caught up in these crazy restrictions it feels just that - crazy.

And JillR lies like its her job. Does she think she gets a pass because she wears skirts and her kids are homeschooled? She's spouting these little one minute Bible studies because she thinks others need to hear them. But is she living them?

Edited by GeeGolly
  • Love 17

I'm one of those who made fun of the Rodriquez sister's earrings. But on second thought I really feel bad for these young women.They are not allowed to work outside of their home. They probably want some way to make some money so they can have some nice things. They are woefully undereducated and clearly have no skills in jewelry making. They are simply waiting around for a fundie man to come along and marry them. It is sad. 

• Love 7
2 hours ago, xwordfanatik said:

I agree.  If there was a way to guarantee that the sales would benefit the children, and not buy anything at all for their horrid parents, I'd buy something to help them out.

Sadly, Jill gets her hands on any money that comes in that house. First, she deserves it for being the SEVERELY BEST MOMMA ever. Second, if the adult children had money of their own, they might get sinful ideas of independence. 

• Useful 2
  • Love 3

Jill basically admitted in her Minute bit today that it's more important to feed your kids religion than it is to feed them food. She actually dismissed food, clothing, and something else that I can't remember as "also important, but..."

She practically made it an either/or proposition. After watching her say that, her Dickens children make so much more sense.

• Useful 1
  • Love 1