Type keyword(s) to search

Sweet Fellowship: Duggars and Friends (aka the Bates Family and Other Featured Families Thread)

Message added by Scarlett45

If a person/family was never featured on any of the Duggar shows, and is not related to the Duggar family by blood or marriage, they do not need to be discussed here..

The Politics Policy is still in effect. A participants social media is NOT an invitation to discuss their political view points. Consider if discussion of certain social media posts will cause you to violate the politics policy BEFORE you hit the "Submit Reply" button.

We may all agree that David Rodriques is quite unfortunate looking, but let's refrain from comparing human beings to apes, its got way too much of a loaded history- please review the new Inclusion Policy updated May 1, 2022 , which details guidelines around discussing body type, capabilities, physical appearance etc. Additionally, using body size as an insult is not allowed.

• Start Topic

Please remind me again why her name keeps changing...wasn't she originally Michaela? IIRC (and I'm not sure anymore), Kelly later researched the name and they didn't like it's origin/meaning, but they were okay with Michael. How would you pronounce Michaella...Michael-lah? Mickel-lah?

Her name was Michal when she was born.

I say Michael-uh, but I don't know how she says it...

It was one of the posts about courting where Kelly mentioned changing her name. She just said "Someone said she could change it for free when she gets married. I don't know if she will or not."  I'm just wondering since People used Michaella; but they might not know her name is Michael if the blog says Michaella.

This is what I can find on the blog about her name:

http://thebatesfamily.com/love-in-the-air/

Posted at 23:29h, 05 January Reply

Dear Sara,

Michael was originally named “Michal,” after David’s wife in the Bible. When I read through my Bible for the first time that same year, I realized Michal wasn’t the ideal role model. We contacted about changing her name and discovered we could make a slight change in the spelling for free if she was still under a year old. Not being creative enough to add a “y” or something like that, we just added an “e” to make the traditional spelling of “Michael.” It has a beautiful meaning, and although it is typically used as a masculine name, we found several other women with that name.

Posted at 23:46h, 11 January Reply

Dear Nicole,

Her legal name is Michael Christan. In letters, as she got older, I started switching to Michaella in writing just so her gender wouldn’t be confused. She prefers Michael now, though. Although her siblings rarely use her full name. She usually is referred to as “Mickey” or “Mikey.” Love, Kelly

Edited by Skittl1321
  • Love 4

Wow.  The comments.  We do our share of snarking here, but some of that stuff is just so nasty.  I understand that you open yourself up to negative comments when you choose to put your life on tv, but, just wow.

And to be fair, Michaella (People's spelling- wish this would just get resolved once and for all) probably had no say as to whether or not she wanted to be on tv.  My guess would be she would have preferred not .

• Love 1

Wow.  The comments.  We do our share of snarking here, but some of that stuff is just so nasty.  I understand that you open yourself up to negative comments when you choose to put your life on tv, but, just wow.

And to be fair, Michaella (People's spelling- wish this would just get resolved once and for all) probably had no say as to whether or not she wanted to be on tv.  My guess would be she would have preferred not .

She's old enough to have to have signed on the dotted line.

But her family might have encouraged her.

• Love 5

Many of the People comments are out of line and the majority of them aren't about her at all. It's Duggar backlash as well as pointing out the family are Gothardites. The food sounds better than Jill or Jessa's weddings and normative to other fundie weddings. 

I don't think Michael was looking for fame when she took part in the tv show. However, she did allow the show to document her courtship, engagement and wedding. She also was able to make money off her wedding from People. ETA: Producers and her parents may have encouraged her to take part but I do think she had a choice. Small potatoes in comparison, but they didn't pressure her to be in Erin or, maybe it was, Alyssa's wedding despite being asked to be a bridesmaid (she didn't want the attention at the time).

I'm interested to see if the show continues to follow her in Chicago regularly or if she'll be more like Alyssa and take part in it sparingly. She always seemed so shy on the other shows. Either she's gotten used to the camera or Brandon brought out more of her personality.

Edited by Cocka doodle dont
  • Love 2

I'm not a fan of the Gothard lifestyle, the men and women who choose it, the political wing they face for, and the fact that publications like People appear to be determined to keep on pimping their every disingenuous press release, tweet and instagram picture.

All the same, the comments on those People / Us / EW / &c articles are turning into a classic I don't know why everyone hates this person but it looks like fun intarwebz pile on. 

It's not OK, and next time, when they get bored and move on to a game designer who's made the distasteful choice to have a vagina (or was that last time?) it won't be OK either.

Edited by Julia
  • Love 4

Valid reasons to hate the Bates:

1270764095441947944.jpg

28m1km1.jpg

The rest I could care less about. They sought out fame just as much as the Duggars. They deserve whatever they get.

Wonder whether UP will show BG at the wedding. It's a Christian network and he's a big part of their form of Christianity (not that he ought to be, but still....)

Edited by Churchhoney
  • Love 1

I actually really love the bridesmaids and flower girl dresses, mostly from the waist up. From far away the ruffles are too much, but the neckline is finally a great example of how to do modest without having it look like you put a T-shirt underneath (looking at you, Michelle's vow renewal dress). Nice example of the vintage chic Jill was going for.

I thought Michael and Brandon were a  great couple, but read some chatter on here about how he has a temper? The example cited was when she went up to visit him unexpectedly and he got mad about that. Anyone got the deets?

Jury's still out on the wedding dress. The top looks too much like Anna's T-shirt wedding dress. I need to see clearer pictures.

Edited by EarlGreyTea

Liz Tudor said:

"As I said after I was suckerpunched reading Teri Maxhell's how to handle "unwanted feelings" BS....."

and HFC responded:

I'm still working, so I'm trying hard not to read any more tonight - but I have to speak to that line. I just YESTERDAY got curious enough to follow a link to the Maxwell's blogs, and dear sweet Baby Jesus, they are SICK SICK SICK people!!!!! Can you imagine, in your wildest dreams, living that way????? They must envision God as a big, bad furry toad in the sky with an AK47, ready to blow them to oblivion if they step out of line. HOLY COW!!! What a LIFE. She spent a whole dang day worrying about whether or not to disrespect her husband by reminding him to order pizza. HE wanted to CRY because he "ALMOST" saw something defrauding. How do you LIVE in a real world with REAL people (shop at Walmart, drive down the road, breathe, eat or even PEE) when you're CONSTANTLY on alert for such stupid things??? According to their lifestyle, I've probably sinned more in the first five minutes I'm awake than they do in a week. It honestly wears me OUT to think of the burdens they carry all day long, just living. Do they really, honestly believe that's how God wants them to live??? I.AM.AMAZED.

Call me crazy (and I probably am), but I LIKE to think God has a sense of humor. Don't you think when he made that first giraffe, he was saying, "Hey, y'all, watch this!" I personally enjoy the thought that there may have been an Animal Inventing Contest in heaven, to see which angel could come up with the most whacky design. Or when the first silly person ate the first Brussels sprout, God snorted and said, "Ewww!!! They ATE it!!!" Don't you just KNOW there are things on earth that they made just for fun and can't BELIEVE we eat??? (Squid comes to mind). Snails. Milk! (Who tried that first, and how did they do it?) I just cannot think of a God who sits up there with a big stick, smiting every Maxwell who strays 1/4" off the yellow line. However, if He DOES smite every Maxwell who strays, they clearly WANT to be smote. It's an integral part of their lives, the smiting of sinners. Thou must be clean, sayeth the Lord.

So now I need to know how well do these families know each other?  Do the Maxwell's attend Duggar weddings, for example?   What scary people!

• Love 10

I actually really love the bridesmaids and flower girl dresses, mostly from the waist up. From far away the ruffles are too much, but the neckline is finally a great example of how to do modest without having it look like you put a T-shirt underneath (looking at you, Michelle's vow renewal dress). Nice example of the vintage chic Jill was going for.

I don't much like the color - it's a little too yellow to be blush or shell, in those pictures, and most of those ladies probably would be best served to avoid colors with yellow in them - but in a rosier pink those dresses would have had a vintage vibe. Not my taste, but not terrible taste, at least to me.

Edited by Julia
  • Love 1

Valid reasons to hate the Bates:

1270764095441947944.jpg

28m1km1.jpg

The rest I could care less about. They sought out fame just as much as the Duggars. They deserve whatever they get.

I love this statue of Nathan Bedford Forrest. His body is way too small for his horse, his head is yuge, the general deranged look of his face, the way his mouth looks like a ventriloquist dummy's.

ejzrxs.jpg

• Love 9

I thought Michael and Brandon were a great couple, but read some chatter on here about how he has a temper? The example cited was when she went up to visit him unexpectedly and he got mad about that. Anyone got the deets?

It was a bizarre scene. He didn't outwardly get mad or lose his shit, but he kept repeating "you lied to me" several times. I don't get an abuser vibe from Brandon, but I do think he's incredibly rigid and there isn't much room for humor and spontaneity in his life. IMO, marriage for him is about ticking off a box on his "how to be a grown-up" checklist. I honestly don't think he cared either way if he married Michael or some other girl, as long as she fit the Gothard wife criteria.

• Love 4

It was a bizarre scene. He didn't outwardly get mad or lose his shit, but he kept repeating "you lied to me" several times. I don't get an abuser vibe from Brandon, but I do think he's incredibly rigid and there isn't much room for humor and spontaneity in his life. IMO, marriage for him is about ticking off a box on his "how to be a grown-up" checklist. I honestly don't think he cared either way if he married Michael or some other girl, as long as she fit the Gothard wife criteria.

Like a hint of David Waller?
  • Love 2

Was he at Michael's wedding? Josh and Bill at the same wedding is just beyond the pale.

Yes, that's him in the picture standing behind the cake table a few posts up. I find the idolizing of Confederate figures very troubling also.

Yes, Brandon reminds me a lot of him. A clean-cut, even-tempered Gothard Kool-Aid guzzler who says all the right romantic things, but I sense the potential for being angry and controlling just below the surface. I guess he might have a point when it comes to lying-- in their world, shouldn't that be considered a big deal? Maybe there's some sort of unspoken exemption when it comes to surprises, but there's nothing in the bible about that. I wonder what good old Bill thinks. Oh, wait. Lying is one of the things he does best. He's just not okay with others doing what he does.

• Love 1

I don't have a good picture of what went on when Michael surprised Brandon, but I think it went something like this:

Michael either outright told Brandon that she was staying home that weekend, or let him think that.  But actually she and an UP camera crew were flying out to surprise him.  I think it might have been his birthday.  Anyway, as Micheal was approaching the spot where she planned to surprise Brandon, she seemed nervous and said something like "I hope he's not mad at me for this" or something like that.

When Brandon showed up and saw Michael (and crew), he seemed stunned and said several times "I can't believe you lied to me" (or something like that).

I get the impression that Brandon doesn't like surprises, and Michael knew this.  Maybe UP pressured her to provide a story line for an episode, or she did it anyway because she really wanted to see him and hoped that he'd realize that and be OK with it.  Brandon might have been upset that she lied, or that she showed up with no warning with a camera crew and now he was expected to perform for the cameras.  He might have focused on the lie because he was having trouble taking it all in.  Some people can adjust to something like that with aplomb, others scramble to cope.  If it'd been me, I'd have been scrambling, wondering why my significant other put me in that position, and wondering if I came off looking like the butt of a joke.

It's too soon to tell, but if Michael was nervous about his reaction, she probably shouldn't have done it.  I hope he's not another David Waller.  It's bad enough that Priss has to live with a husband that often seems to hold her in barely concealed contempt.  David often reminds me of the husband from 'Sleeping With the Enemy'.  As in, a controlling husband who can appear charming in public but is hateful in private if his wife isn't perfect.  David isn't able to be quite so charming as he believes, but I also don't think he's psychopathic enough to resort to the beatings seen in the movie, and if Priss were to leave I think David would simply declare her to be not godly enough for him and leave her alone.

Edited by Zahdii
  • Love 5

Very much like David Waller. I don't think Brandon is in the closet, I just think he takes a more functional, business-like approach to marriage versus a romantic, passionate one. Maybe that will be better long term, I don't know, but I don't think he reciprocates the intense desire and attraction that Michael has for him.

• Love 5

Was that shown on TLC?  I thought it was part of the Bates show on UP?

My mistake.  It was on UP, not TLC.  Like it or not, when it comes to large fundy families, I always think of TLC.

• Love 1

Was he at Michael's wedding? Josh and Bill at the same wedding is just beyond the pale.

Yes, that's him in the picture standing behind the cake table a few posts up. I find the idolizing of Confederate figures very troubling also.

Actually I believe that picture is from Erin and Chad's wedding. That's the birthday cake they made BG in front of him. I don't think we've heard if he attended Michael's wedding or not.

• Love 4

Actually I believe that picture is from Erin and Chad's wedding. That's the birthday cake they made BG in front of him. I don't think we've heard if he attended Michael's wedding or not.

Yes, it was. I think Kelly deleted all the pics of Bill, and of the cake. It was a birthday cake for Bill. They later said it was a groom's cake. It said Happy Birthday Mr. Gothard.

My point being, Gil was/is a Gothard board member and total yes man to all the cult BS. Just because the Bastes are able to pull of the look that cameras just stumbled into their happy home doesn't mean they're not horrible people underneath. (As a mild OT - A friend of mine and his wife once spent a few hours and had lunch with Subway's Jared. They said he was an impeccably nice, honest, open guy. Not so much. Assholes are everywhere.)

Edited by JoanArc
  • Love 8

I don't know that much about the Bates but just read this page and clicked on the wedding picture link.  Hmmm. Same adoring gaze from Michael(a) to Brandon that you see in Mechelle/JB.  Why did they take the wedding photo in front of an old barn?  Confederate figures from the past hanging on the wall? Scary.. Jana looked beautiful.  Brandon doesn't look too smart.  He works for Gothard?  Poor Michael(a). Scared of surprising him before they were married?  Uh oh. I see a bride that just walked into being owned property not a loved wife. My advice - don't be fruitful and multiply with that dude, run for the hills.

• Love 5

I drove past the Gothard Headquarters yesterday on my way from Downers grove to Western Springs and I was sooo tempted to go pull in and take a peek around the property. I kept an eye out since learnign where it was located. It seriously creeps me out I live and work so close to that cult!!!! 

I'll have to keep extra eyes out for Brandon and Micheala lol maybe Ill go loiter at Chick fil -la in a week or so. Are they doing a honeymoon?

• Love 1

I thought Michael and Brandon were a  great couple, but read some chatter on here about how he has a temper? The example cited was when she went up to visit him unexpectedly and he got mad about that. Anyone got the deets?

Jury's still out on the wedding dress. The top looks too much like Anna's T-shirt wedding dress. I need to see clearer pictures.

I saw a closer look at the bridesmaids dresses and the beige does nothing for me.  But the pink was pretty and I think would have looked better as a tea length.  I did see the episode where Michael surprises Brandon and he was not angry about it at all.  Just surprised!

• Love 1

I just read an article on People online where Amy Duggar says she was not one of the victims and claims she didn't even know of the molestation.

I am going to speculate that she probably did know, but is still hoping for a show and wants to distance herself.

• Love 2

If you really really wanna meet Gayvid, just buy a fruit(y) bouquet, dress dowdy, reverse if you're an attractive male, and show up to the Basic Advanced Life Principles Training Institute and insist that you simply must deliver the token of your devotion to the Duggars in person. Or stakeout the relevant chick fil a on the "eat moar chikin" day.

I'll have to keep extra eyes out for Brandon and Micheala lol maybe Ill go loiter at Chick fil -la in a week or so. Are they doing a honeymoon?

"Hey Michael or Mickel-ah, or Michael-ah, or Mikayla! Whichever!"

I saw a closer look at the bridesmaids dresses and the beige does nothing for me. But the pink was pretty and I think would have looked better as a tea length. I did see the episode where Michael surprises Brandon and he was not angry about it at all. Just surprised!

I can't say I'd react positively to a camera crew jumping out at me from the bushes or whatever. He might not have shaved, or be wearing presentable clothes or whatever.

If you really really wanna meet Gayvid, just buy a fruit(y) bouquet, dress dowdy, reverse if you're an attractive male, and show up to the Basic Advanced Life Principles Training Institute and insist that you simply must deliver the token of your devotion to the Duggars in person. Or stakeout the relevant chick fil a on the "eat moar chikin" day.

"Hey Michael or Mickel-ah, or Michael-ah, or Mikayla! Whichever!"

I can't say I'd react positively to a camera crew jumping out at me from the bushes or whatever. He might not have shaved, or be wearing presentable clothes or whatever.

I seriously thought about going on the last time they had that dress like a cow thing, there ( and im not kidding) is one RIGHT across the street from my work, but I was worried they would kick me out if I didnt buy anything. Maybe next time!!! ill just have to get over my boycott, lol

• Love 1

I did see the episode where Michael surprises Brandon and he was not angry about it at all.  Just surprised!

Yeah, I don't know where this idea that Brandon has a temper came from.  He's very stiff and vanilla, but I've not seen a temper at all.

Edited by IndianPaintbrush
  • Love 1

Just got back from Kohl's where I was horrified by the long fundie type skirts on the mannequin, anyhooo I will take one for the team and buy it and just sit at Chik whatever just for the chance to spot them all!!! Maybe we can lure them with me saying that I am questioning my faith! Ha they would come a RUNNING to convert me. Who's with me?

• Love 1

I seriously thought about going on the last time they had that dress like a cow thing, there ( and im not kidding) is one RIGHT across the street from my work, but I was worried they would kick me out if I didnt buy anything. Maybe next time!!! ill just have to get over my boycott, lol

No one buys anything on dress like a cow day. That's why these families with 19 kids can afford to go then.

• Love 1

I don't have a good picture of what went on when Michael surprised Brandon, but I think it went something like this:

Thanks y'all. I had a snarky reply planned, but after hearing what Smugs is getting up to on Ashley Madison, Brandon is automatically the perfect husband by default.

I caught a bit of their engagement episode and it's clear Michael saw Brandon as her ideal guy she crushed on from afar. So she must be pretty thrilled now to be married to him, but I also wonder if the reality is as good as the ideal. It would be hard for anyone to live up to that.

• Love 2

I was going to say the same. I know I would not be pleased at all if someone -- anyone, however much I love them -- showed up where I live, unannounced and with a camera crew. So I do think it was kind of a bone-headed move on her part. Perhaps she was pushed to do it by their producers. Perhaps she just doesn't know him well enough to predict him. However, I hope the matter has been dropped from their private conversation by this point, and that neither of them is hanging onto any resentment over the issue. Edited by JenCarroll
  • Love 4

Thanks y'all. I had a snarky reply planned, but after hearing what Smugs is getting up to on Ashley Madison, Brandon is automatically the perfect husband by default.

I caught a bit of their engagement episode and it's clear Michael saw Brandon as her ideal guy she crushed on from afar. So she must be pretty thrilled now to be married to him, but I also wonder if the reality is as good as the ideal. It would be hard for anyone to live up to that.

And David Waller, presumed closeted homosexual, now has an even larger lead over Josh.
  • Love 4

Well, there is the one son-in-law who left Gothard and leads a normal life, so I guess Mr. Keller is only batting .750.  And then there is Suze, who is a single mom.

At least 2 of the 5 daughters are ok.  And Daniel left the cult too.  

No idea about the 2 younger sons, but I would say that the Kellers aren't exactly a shining example of a Gothard family.

• Love 3

I noticed that the Bates family, and at least some of their kids, have stopped following Josh on IG. They are all still following Anna, and the other Duggars.

I just checked for myself and looks like you were right! Out of all the Bates family/spouses accounts only Whit is still following Josh.  Although if I remember correctly, I think some, like Erin and Michaela, never followed Josh in the first place. Lawson definitely used to follow Josh though, but must have stopped very recently because he was still "liking"Josh's posts right up to when the cheating news broke. Interestingly, I also noticed that many of the Bates follow Derick on IG but not Ben. I'm not entirely sure why but I'd like to think it's because they got a full account of Ben's douchery in person and no one likes him (except Jessa, apparently, them being two arrogant, self-righteous peas in a pod and all). 

• Love 4

Posted in the media thread.

"The show I'd be interested in is "Duggars go Mainstream-after they rethink their positions on...everything! Follow Jim bob and Michelle as they try to navigate the outside world, connect with a mainstream church, send their young children to school, enter them in sports and dance, allow some TV watching and reading of certain books..." Of course this would have to be aired on The Fantasy Network (is there such a thing?)"

The Jeub (sp) family, who are long time home schoolers, with a couple of older daughters who defected, have enrolled their youngest six children in a public charter school. So maybe, just maybe, there is the slightest hope that the Duggars will rethink things. 

• Love 3

Posted in the media thread.

"The show I'd be interested in is "Duggars go Mainstream-after they rethink their positions on...everything! Follow Jim bob and Michelle as they try to navigate the outside world, connect with a mainstream church, send their young children to school, enter them in sports and dance, allow some TV watching and reading of certain books..." Of course this would have to be aired on The Fantasy Network (is there such a thing?)"

The Jeub (sp) family, who are long time home schoolers, with a couple of older daughters who defected, have enrolled their youngest six children in a public charter school. So maybe, just maybe, there is the slightest hope that the Duggars will rethink things. 

Or maybe TLC can give the Jeubs a show and raise JimBob's blood pressure even more. I doubt he and MEchelle will ever change, though.

• Love 6

Wow, Mr. Keller sure knows how to pick them. Not.

He married Anna off to the son of a famous and very prosperous family and Priscilla to a Bill Gothard protégé. Sounds like a bit of Fundy social climbing.

• Love 7

I just checked for myself and looks like you were right! Out of all the Bates family/spouses accounts only Whit is still following Josh.  Although if I remember correctly, I think some, like Erin and Michaela, never followed Josh in the first place. Lawson definitely used to follow Josh though, but must have stopped very recently because he was still "liking"Josh's posts right up to when the cheating news broke. Interestingly, I also noticed that many of the Bates follow Derick on IG but not Ben. I'm not entirely sure why but I'd like to think it's because they got a full account of Ben's douchery in person and no one likes him (except Jessa, apparently, them being two arrogant, self-righteous peas in a pod and all). 

This was Lawson's post 3 days ago ... hmm

lawbatesRomans 6

23 For the wages of sin is death; but the gift of God is eternal life through Jesus Christ our Lord.

••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••

James 1

12 Blessed is the man that endureth temptation: for when he is tried, he shall receive the crown of life, which the Lord hath promised to them that love him.13 Let no man say when he is tempted, I am tempted of God: for God cannot be tempted with evil, neither tempteth he any man:

14 But every man is tempted, when he is drawn away of his own lust, and enticed.15 Then when lust hath conceived, it bringeth forth sin: and sin, when it is finished, bringeth forth death

• Love 3

This was Lawson's post 3 days ago ... hmm

lawbatesRomans 6

23 For the wages of sin is death; but the gift of God is eternal life through Jesus Christ our Lord.

••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••

James 1

12 Blessed is the man that endureth temptation: for when he is tried, he shall receive the crown of life, which the Lord hath promised to them that love him.13 Let no man say when he is tempted, I am tempted of God: for God cannot be tempted with evil, neither tempteth he any man:

14 But every man is tempted, when he is drawn away of his own lust, and enticed.15 Then when lust hath conceived, it bringeth forth sin: and sin, when it is finished, bringeth forth death

Fundy to English translation: Josh, you're an asshole.

• Love 16