Type keyword(s) to search

Sweet Fellowship: Duggars and Friends (aka the Bates Family and Other Featured Families Thread)

Message added by Scarlett45

If a person/family was never featured on any of the Duggar shows, and is not related to the Duggar family by blood or marriage, they do not need to be discussed here..

The Politics Policy is still in effect. A participants social media is NOT an invitation to discuss their political view points. Consider if discussion of certain social media posts will cause you to violate the politics policy BEFORE you hit the "Submit Reply" button.

We may all agree that David Rodriques is quite unfortunate looking, but let's refrain from comparing human beings to apes, its got way too much of a loaded history- please review the new Inclusion Policy updated May 1, 2022 , which details guidelines around discussing body type, capabilities, physical appearance etc. Additionally, using body size as an insult is not allowed.

• Start Topic

Hoo, boy, do I need some mind bleach. I've been exploring the Maxwell blog. Not a fun experience for me. These people are AWFUL. I read a lot of Teri's "Mom's Corner" articles, including one detailing her crippling depressions (my guess is it's probably post-partum, based on her saying they happened whenever she was nursing the latest "blessing.") There are also a series of articles on "unwanted feelings," which are what the rest of us would recognize as natural reactions to when life hands you sh*t. Her advice is to basically stuff it down & pray it away. Oh, and the Lord is testing you. As someone who had a parent suffer from repeated crippling depressions and a suicide attempt, this tore me up. Yes, there are a myriad of ways to approach, treat, and work through depression, but staying in the "dark place" (interestingly, both Teri's and my parent's choice of words) until the Lord sees fit to lift you out is effing nuts. My parent also felt abandoned by God and felt unworthy. But it took the herculean effort of my family, a great psychiatrist, therapist, and drugs to work through the depressions. Teri gives the same advice to a friend who was crushed when an adoption came very close to happening and fell through. Just read a bunch of scripture about Gpd testimg people and keep busy until you're over it. WTF. To not recognize the need to vent or listen to someone pour out their heart...I just can't. And won't. I will be there, holding your hand, handing you Kleenex, and refilling your wine glass. It's no wonder she gets depressed, it seems like such an empty life...reverence, rinse, repeat.

I'm sorry to be a such a downer...I should've stuck to more snarkworthy topics, like fashion, food, reverencing my headship, etc. FWIW, I purposed to explain the concept of reverencing to my headship, and he said, "ummm, do they not know that's not a verb...it's 'revere' they want." He is weak in the ways of the fundies, this one.

• Love 17

Where is David Waller when you need him to live stream the wedding for us!

Michael has a picture on her instagram of her shoes (pretty little dainty flats and the bottom of her dress) so far so good.

Whitney looks amazing as does Bradley my little Gerber baby! 

• Love 1

Michael has a picture on her instagram of her shoes (pretty little dainty flats and the bottom of her dress) so far so good.

How are her feet supposed to get dirty then? I take it it's not a 'hipster barnyard but in a megachurch' style wedding.
  • Love 1

I just watched a clip of the Bates show on UP. Haven't watched any episodes or anything, but Wow! How did TLC choose the Duggars over this family? The Bates are so much less contrived and natural as well as so much more charisma from the parents. The clip I watched was them explaining skirt swimwear while at the lake. They didn't go on about modesty or gawd, just a brief explanation of what it felt like to swim in a skirt. Granted I have not watched their show, but 19 kids and counting, was getting to the point where that Duggar studio video of Jill leaving seemed as natural as the TLC episodes.

Oh and don't get me started on that little Callie and her history quiz.. omg adorable.

Their girls have come a long way with fashion as well. It was going to happen with social media and interaction with the world. For some reason it is easier to accept this family adapting over Jessa and her sausage t shirts. The Bates are open to evolving and less judgemental, is that what I am sensing?

Also, someone mentioned that when they had a failed courtship, they admitted it and moved on. Like oh well, that wasn't the best option, we learned, we adapted. The Duggars on the other hand, the Josh situation. UGH!

If Gothard wants to recruit, the Bates and not the Duggars are the horse to put their money on. Just my opinion, from admitted limited viewing.  

Still don't like the cult, just sayin'. 

• Love 3

Ok, it took a little digging but I found the Maxwell post about judging (leering at?) women in the airport:

http://forums.preparingdaughters.com/forums/t/3352

In my search, I found a few other greatest hits that I'm going to share so you'll be a Maxwell Super Fan like me!

Of pizza and wifely submission (one of my personal favorites. Teri's barely concealed hatred of Steve and her lot in life as a person with two X chromosomes is practically oozing through my screen):

http://articles.titus2.com/2000/04/

On Halloween (but there's lots of other general craziness in this one):

http://articles.titus2.com/2000/11/

Air shows and immorality:

http://articles.titus2.com/1999/10/

Steve drooling over a boob:

http://articles.titus2.com/2000/02/

On another note, my husband and kids are going away this weekend so I'm planning to smoke a bowl and make the Maxwell tortilla recipe. I'll let you know!

From Steve's blog:

'To my horror her top hung open, and it could have appeared to her I was inappropriately looking at her. I immediately closed my eyes and turned away, but I was never so humbled in all my life. I honestly could have wept right there.'

Oh to be a fly on the wall at the Maxhell house. Steve and Terri are the poster children for mental illness. Steve weeps at the sight of boobies. Terri is nothing more than a doormat who's major worry is whether or not to remind Steve to order pizza lest she damage his fragile ego.

• Love 7

She makes Sierra's eyes look normal. She almost makes Tori Spelling look natural.

That one video is 48 minutes long. You can see how much space her shit takes up in the motorhome (there's allegedly drawers full of makeup). You can see the baby cage in the wardrobe.

I read on FreeJinger that she's actually a licensed beautician, but God forbid she have a real job as a beautician.

Jill needs to title that video "How to be gorgeous while living in an old trailer with 13 people and one bathroom." Poor Jill, fame and fortune elude her. 

Looking at the Maxwells' blog makes me want to check my house to be sure the doors are all locked. So much crazy out there.

• Love 6

Who are these people: Jill and the Maxwell's?

I just watched a clip of the Bates show on UP. Haven't watched any episodes or anything, but Wow! How did TLC choose the Duggars over this family? The Bates are so much less contrived and natural as well as so much more charisma from the parents. The clip I watched was them explaining skirt swimwear while at the lake. They didn't go on about modesty or gawd, just a brief explanation of what it felt like to swim in a skirt. Granted I have not watched their show, but 19 kids and counting, was getting to the point where that Duggar studio video of Jill leaving seemed as natural as the TLC episodes.

Oh and don't get me started on that little Callie and her history quiz.. omg adorable.

Their girls have come a long way with fashion as well. It was going to happen with social media and interaction with the world. For some reason it is easier to accept this family adapting over Jessa and her sausage t shirts. The Bates are open to evolving and less judgemental, is that what I am sensing?

Also, someone mentioned that when they had a failed courtship, they admitted it and moved on. Like oh well, that wasn't the best option, we learned, we adapted. The Duggars on the other hand, the Josh situation. UGH!

If Gothard wants to recruit, the Bates and not the Duggars are the horse to put their money on. Just my opinion, from admitted limited viewing.  

Still don't like the cult, just sayin'.

Callie, omg, I could eat that child up!

Who are these people: Jill and the Maxwell's?

Callie, omg, I could eat that child up!

They're both seemingly Quiverfull families who don't have tv shows, though Jill (the aspirant Michelle) Rodrigues clearly wants one. I think the Rodrigues family were seen in the audience for Jill's Duggar's wedding. The Maxwells are notable for being the most visible extreme self depriving "hair shirt" type of Quiverfull with a blog. FreeJinger has a couple other favorites, Zsuzsanna "Zsucifer" Anderson a snotty woman who has a blog about weight loss and how everyone but her is a reprobate. At the other end of the spectrum there's this Wiccan nutcase on tumblr referred to as the "Naked Roast Sitter", she sat on an uncooked roast (which she later cooked & served to guests ) naked, and there is a photo to prove it. Investigate her at your peril, she is NSFW. Edited by Kokapetl
  • Love 2

From Steve's blog:

'To my horror her top hung open, and it could have appeared to her I was inappropriately looking at her. I immediately closed my eyes and turned away, but I was never so humbled in all my life. I honestly could have wept right there.'

Oh to be a fly on the wall at the Maxhell house. Steve and Terri are the poster children for mental illness. Steve weeps at the sight of boobies. Terri is nothing more than a doormat who's major worry is whether or not to remind Steve to order pizza lest she damage his fragile ego.

Oh the horror of an inadvertent boob sighting!!!

Teri and Steve's relationship sounds seriously abusive. I mean FFS, who spends two hours in deep prayer over whether or not to remind your husband to order pizza? From the tone of her blog, Teri walks on eggshells 24/7 so Steve can feel like the king of his castle. Their household must be a miserable place.

• Love 6

Oh the horror of an inadvertent boob sighting!!!

Teri and Steve's relationship sounds seriously abusive. I mean FFS, who spends two hours in deep prayer over whether or not to remind your husband to order pizza? From the tone of her blog, Teri walks on eggshells 24/7 so Steve can feel like the king of his castle. Their household must be a miserable place.

Was it praying or wishing?

Was it praying or wishing?

Lol, I don't know if I can stomach a second read, but I think it's a toss up between the two.

Whitney is gorgeous and Bradley is a cutie patootie. I love Michael's sparkly shoes and it was a smart move to go with the flats if she isn't used to heels. There's nothing worse than standing all day in uncomfortable shoes, especially new ones that aren't broken in.

• Love 1

I just spent some serious time reading and watching videos on The Rodrigues Family blog! Try sitting through the kid's questions and answers! Are those kids beat to keep sweet and respond in their mother's voice or do they just love mother Jill's attention? I see a lot of speech impediment, even in the 15yo boy and a need for braces. And Jill's makeup video, OMG!!!

Oh My Lord, will someone please free me from my bondage to the great Dr Pepper. He is coming between me and my lord. Please also free me from bondage with  Merlot, Sangiovese,Rosso and Cabernet Sauvignon. Better yet, just free me from all grape -related bondage.

Never mind. I need my grape related friends to get through this forum

• Love 10

https://instagram.com/p/6aivUTAqfT/
From Michael's wedding. Whoever called David Waller as the leak wins a prize!

eta: Those ruffled bridesmaid dresses are horrible! I can't imagine how bad Kelly looks in hers. It can't be as bad as MEchelle's tin woodsman dress, but only because it's not shiny. No woman in her 40's or older should EVER wear a dress like that! (And I say this belonging to that generation...NEVER!)

It also looks like they went with the awful shit-brown tux for Brandon (hello 70's!), and Gil is officiating. Can't say that I like the branch and cherry blossom awning either. It looks...incomplete. 

Edited by Sew Sumi
  • Love 3

Oh fuck. JRod has made a hair and makeup tutorial video! I think we have finally found who can give Boob's hairspray consumption a run for his money! 

So much wrong, so little time...

Wow- just wow!  This is one of the funniest and most disturbing things I have ever seen.  Seriously!   What the hay???  She is really entitled to think that she is a fashion statement and that others should learn from her.  

I agree- she is the new Tammy.  Those fundies love that freezing stuff.  Definitely reminds me of the stuff from the 80's. I could only tolerate small bits- but the one point where she is turning upside down and scrunching, spraying and such definitely reminds me of what I did to my poor hair when attending my first Bon Jovi concert.  

• Love 4

From Steve's blog:

OMG- I don't really know much about this family- but why I have read today is just crazy.  I'm sure TLC will put them on, just for shock value. 

Jill needs to title that video "How to be gorgeous while living in an old trailer with 13 people and one bathroom." Poor Jill, fame and fortune elude her. 

Looking at the Maxwells' blog makes me want to check my house to be sure the doors are all locked. So much crazy out there.

I KNOW RIGHT!

In case you're still looking for Teri's Pepsi Addiction, I feel like this is it. It's everything I imagined and more.

Can't stop SMH at this.  Pepsi addict!  WTF???

ETA: this family is truly snark worthy. 

Edited by truthtalk2014
  • Love 3

Teri Maxwell could be seen in the crowd during the episode when Josiah had his "graduation." I was shocked that the Maxwells still "fellowshipped" with the Duggars, since the latter have gone so "soft" (based on Steve's guidelines) these past few years. 

Wow- just wow! This is one of the funniest and most disturbing things I have ever seen. Seriously! What the hay??? She is really entitled to think that she is a fashion statement and that others should learn from her.

I agree- she is the new Tammy. Those fundies love that freezing stuff. Definitely reminds me of the stuff from the 80's. I could only tolerate small bits- but the one point where she is turning upside down and scrunching, spraying and such definitely reminds me of what I did to my poor hair when attending my first Bon Jovi concert.

She looks like an extra from the set of 'Trailer Park Boys' with that ridiculous hair and make up. What is it with fundies and the 80's style?

• Love 1

They kissed in public. Bridesmaid dresses were taupe, not peach like they looked to me on the episode. Kelly must have a fuckton of hairspray in her 'do to rock those curls.

https://instagram.com/p/6awy33Ihas/

That lady took better photos of the wedding than all the others I've seen, for example David Waller's have the people on stage looking like a white blur, but I don't really trust the white balance of that lady, she posted this: 2vxlpxs.jpg

Here's a better pic of the top of the bridesmaids' dress on Erin. Not so bad from the waist up, aside from being long-sleeved in August. The bottom? Hot.two-toned tiered.mess. 

https://instagram.com/p/6a0w5PKF7Q/?tagged=bringingupbates

eta: Thanks to these people for tagging their pics #bringingupbates so I could find them all in one place! LOL

It also appears that there was no restriction on pictures like the Draconian shit we saw at Jill's and Jessa's weddings. 

Edited by Sew Sumi
  • Love 1

Oh My Lord, will someone please free me from my bondage to the great Dr Pepper. He is coming between me and my lord. Please also free me from bondage with  Merlot, Sangiovese,Rosso and Cabernet Sauvignon. Better yet, just free me from all grape-related bondage.

Sangiovese-cabernet blends are the bomb (might as well use the good ropes). 

Wow- just wow!  This is one of the funniest and most disturbing things I have ever seen.  Seriously!   What the hay???  She is really entitled to think that she is a fashion statement and that others should learn from her. 

Um. Yeah, wow. That is the maquillage of a woman who does not in any way, shape or form think she's naturally beautiful.

• Love 1

They kissed in public. Bridesmaid dresses were taupe, not peach like they looked to me on the episode. Kelly must have a fuckton of hairspray in her 'do to rock those curls. 

https://instagram.com/p/6awy33Ihas/

So did daddy Gil performed the ceremony? That would make having her mom as Matron-of-Honor make more sense.

Did Jinger not have time to change after the long drive?

https://instagram.com/p/6a3R62qFwP/?tagged=bringingupbates

Yea, the top of the bridesmaids dress on Erin doesn't look as bad as I imagined.

Where do the Bates' live? TN? I feel like they are somewhat close to me geographically and today was rather cool and overcast. The girls might not have passed out in their long sleeved dresses after all.

Also, I didn't realize Gil was ordained. Seems rather odd that they got married in a church that wasn't theirs and then didn't even use the churches pastor? That wouldn't fly where I grew up in the dirty south.

• Love 2

Here's a better pic of the top of the bridesmaids' dress on Erin. Not so bad from the waist up, aside from being long-sleeved in August. The bottom? Hot.two-toned tiered.mess. 

eta: Thanks to these people for tagging their pics #bringingupbates so I could find them all in one place! LOL

It also appears that there was no restriction on pictures like the Draconian shit we saw at Jill's and Jessa's weddings. 

Well you know the Duggars have to get paid- by People.  To hell with the general public.  Let them eat root beer floats while standing in the freezing cold. 

ETA:  Any reception pics so far?  That is what I am dying to see.

Edited by truthtalk2014
  • Love 1

The pics of Erin and Lawson (and Jinger in her Duggar thread) are all from the reception. It looks like it was in the church's fellowship hall. 

eta: Gil's not ordained. He's the had of his own IFB church, so he fancies himself a preacher. However, I am sure he paid the $5 to get his license so he could perform weddings. He certainly didn't get that right from the legitimate Southern Baptist Church. 

Edited by Sew Sumi
  • Love 1

It looks like it was meant to be a strapless sweetheart neckline gown and she went and modest-ed it up. I'll have to see a better picture but I'm not digging it either.

I think Jessa is the only one that has managed to pull of a beautifully modest gown. So far.

• Love 3

Agreed, MountainAir . If Michael had worn her hair up, or at least back, it would be easier to see what, if any, modifications were made to the top of the dress. Not digging the ruching, though. And with what we saw of the bottom in the pic she posted of her shoe, top doesn't seem to match the bottom; too much going on. 

I guess we'll get a better look at it on next week's Bates episode when she gets it comped...err...shops for it. 

Kokapetl, I seriously doubt Michael has a clue who Ariel is! LOL

Edited by Sew Sumi
  • Love 1

Tori got a blush dress, so Michael DID alternate colors (and my TV didn't fail me). 

https://instagram.com/p/6a8gaVvfei/?taken-by=lawbates

Damn, I saw a pic of the Rodrigueses at the wedding (they received an INVITATION, y'all!). Unfortunately, it's on facebook, and I refuse to host pics to link here. 

They're all in black and white. JRod's hair is teased to the heavens to glorify Jeebus. 

Jill is also in a pic with Nurie (poor thing looks as skinny as Jinger) and Jessa, who looks like she's wearing a '70's throw blanket as her skirt. So much fashion DON'T in one shot. 

Edited by Sew Sumi

So they went with the extra long, ultra modest daintyjewell lace christmas tree dresses in beige and grey?
  • Love 2

I think they alternated bridesmaid dresses with Kelly and Erin wearing the ruffle Chrismas tree dress and others wearing a pink/peachy colored lace dress. There is a wide shot of the wedding party that was posted and some of the dresses dont have ruffles.

On their show, Kelly commented that the dress Tori was going to wear would show off body flaws (those were her words more or less). I guess she thought ruffles would camouflage.

Edited by Cocka doodle dont

Well, well...when Miss Jess is going to be around a buncha fellow fundies, she ditches the bursting-at-the-seams maternity wear. Interesting! And the 1970s throw description is perfect, Sew Sumi!

Edited by Liz Tudor
  • Love 5

So they went with the extra long, ultra modest daintyjewell lace christmas tree dresses in beige and grey?

I'd go with taupe and pale pink. I was hoping for taupe over brown, so at least I was made happy in that regard. All of the girls did not get pink.  Erin is shown in taupe, Jana and Tori in pink. Erin's dress has tiers. I couldn't tell with Jana's. I'm not sure where Erin was in the lineup. Maybe all of the other attendants aside from Kelly and Erin got pink and not tiered? Weird. 

Still waiting to see the mess that will be Kelly's dress, complete with the alternating tiers. ACK! 

That dress. My eyes were drawn off Jessa's countenance.

Pickles has a pic of Jessa in Times Square with a female basketball team. She's wearing the same dress in that pic that she wore to the wedding. Because she's classy like that. Hilarious how all of a sudden she rediscovered modesty! 

Edited by Sew Sumi
  • Love 1

JMHO at least Jill understands that when you dress nice to a nice function you make a good impression. I guess it's the Italian in me that always wants to look good out in public because you  never know who you are going to run into.

https://www.facebook.com/rodriguesfamilylovesjesus?fref=nf

As for MEchelle wow she got a fancy new top that she wore yesterday and shows up to a wedding with it still on? Sorry but there is NO excuse for the Duggars to not look nice every so often especially at a WEDDING. 

Explaination;http://bitchinlifestyle.tv/video/wod-brutta-figura/

Damn, if Michael's neckline was any higher it would cover her forehead. I understand the whole modesty thing, but the dress isn't flattering, it makes her head and neck look very squat.

From the waist up the bridesmaids dresses look nice, but I know I'll be groaning in horror when I see the full picture.

As far as Terrified's Pepsi addiction, there are just no words. Why do they have to make every problem this deep, dark struggle between Good and Evil? She got hooked on the sugar and caffeine, big effing deal. I don't think Satan was invading her home via a 2 Liter of Pepsi. I agree these people have to get their own show, the snark potential is a gold mine.

• Love 3